PDA

View Full Version : Curl Up And Cry - Anime Recommendations

Aldrif
05-30-2023, 08:01 AM
I just got done watching Made in Abyss, and throughout the series i would have to take breaks.. pause.. maybe cry a little bit..

I think it might have something to do with children trying to live through brutality. I'm not sure, there is more time to dissect why this happens.

But this got me thinking..

What are some of YOUR animes that make you need a break, possibly to curl up in a ball and cry while hugging your waifu pillow?

Excalibur
05-30-2023, 08:11 AM
personally i will never watch: Your Name again. had a situationship with that movie and it churns my stomach everytime i see little previews etc. a show for me that makes me just tear up would be: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood... memories of nostalgia and watching it while growing up was just ruff.

Aldrif
05-30-2023, 08:38 AM
Your Name was an absolute crier for me as well.
I watched it once, and that was it.
I'm down if anyone else wants to watch it, but i think I'm good on my own. Alone in my apartment. No one to hug. :dumpster:

Japan Sinks was another pretty good series to cry to.
I started that on Netflix without any prior knowledge or feedback.
Oops~

KJiU
05-30-2023, 08:42 AM
From memories back , the only one with the greatest impact was Code Geass season 2 where Lelouch dies in the ending.

There is also jiraiya's death in naruto which is also sad (not sure if the bgm was Sadness and Sorrow but if you throw it in you will get a better effect)

Will leave it with this 2 for now haha

Dot
05-30-2023, 09:24 AM
I

What are some of YOUR animes that make you need a break, possibly to curl up in a ball and cry while hugging your waifu pillow?

Wolf Children aka Ōkami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki made me scream sob. The grief I felt was unreal. I was not okay for several days. And it's not even THAT sad, but the mono- and dialogues just really got to me.

Sort of related: More manga have made me cry than I care to count. Full on, audible sobbing. If there's time travel and/or reincarnation and finding your past loved one involved, I'm going to cry. Or sacrificing yourself for the greater good: SOBBING MY EYES OUT! I'm abig old softie :$

DarkSkies
05-30-2023, 10:16 AM
I don't know if it counts as an anime but Leafy a hen in the wild got me. All the sacrifices she made because of love :sorrow:

TsUNaMy WaVe
05-30-2023, 10:21 AM
Oh wow, I cried so much from Made in Abyss...
I've read through the arc in the movie in the manga like 3 times, and watched the movie like 3 times as well, and I cried like a baby each and every time.
It's also true about the story in S2...

Another instance of an anime that makes me cry like a baby, is a certain episode ending in Sora yori mo Tooi Basho. If you know you know...

Synth Salazzle
05-30-2023, 11:15 AM
Not a lot of anime made me cry but angel beats and my roommate is a cat both got me there.

Politoed
05-30-2023, 11:26 AM
Blood+ the ending rip

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Buizel
05-30-2023, 11:43 AM
This is an older anime, but I remember crying throughout Clannad. :grief: I don't remember the plot too much since it's been some years, but I really loved the main couple up until one point which starts the tears haha :cold: I don't want to spoil said part, so I'll leave it at that.

GreyFaerie
05-30-2023, 02:15 PM
Violet Evergarden. I watched this anime on netflix and cried every episode. every f episode. Then I cried like a baby at the movie too. I still can't get over it.

OH OH another one is "Kotaro lives alone" - you can also see it on netflix. He is a little boy. Living alone. Go ahead and cry with me.

From memories back , the only one with the greatest impact was Code Geass season 2 where Lelouch dies in the ending.

There is also jiraiya's death in naruto which is also sad (not sure if the bgm was Sadness and Sorrow but if you throw it in you will get a better effect)

Will leave it with this 2 for now haha
I stopped watching the anime when Jiraiya died. I couldn't bear it. :sorrow:

foxe
05-30-2023, 03:53 PM
Banana Fish is another pretty obvious choice.

My ultimate curl up and cry anime though is the 2019 Fruits Basket reboot. Very poignant and will deal you damage over time.

Predict
05-30-2023, 04:22 PM
This is an older anime, but I remember crying throughout Clannad. :grief: I don't remember the plot too much since it's been some years, but I really loved the main couple up until one point which starts the tears haha :cold: I don't want to spoil said part, so I'll leave it at that.

Omggg. Clannad is one of the few animes that genuinely made me tear up. I was actually semi depressed afterwards for 2 weeks after seeing the Ushio scene. I just couldn't deal..:(

KJiU
05-30-2023, 09:37 PM
Violet Evergarden. I watched this anime on netflix and cried every episode. every f episode. Then I cried like a baby at the movie too. I still can't get over it.

OH OH another one is "Kotaro lives alone" - you can also see it on netflix. He is a little boy. Living alone. Go ahead and cry with me.

I stopped watching the anime when Jiraiya died. I couldn't bear it. :sorrow:

Many people feel it during that part xD ,I think Pain has quite a sad story too but i forgot about that , i only watch the series for minato, madara & sasuke in naruto series i stopped at Shippuden as i didn't continue with boruto :P

Aldrif
05-31-2023, 03:36 PM

I was NOT expecting this one to be so DAMN SAD.
At all!
It was just a cute little anime at the start..

--

And y'all are wonderful, I'm adding so many "Sad Animes" to my list of things to watch.

TsUNaMy WaVe
05-31-2023, 04:17 PM
Just remembered that Akatsuki no Yona has some really "curl up and cry" moments. It's such a shame the anime only got one season and a couple of specials...
The manga is so good too!

Ice
05-31-2023, 04:51 PM
I feel like the classics are Angel Beats, Ano Hana, also more recently Your Lie in April. Violet Evergarden was really good but I don't think I was ~as~ choked up as some of the other things I've watched. Your Name of course was amazing - I also recommend Boy and the Beast. Not like tragic emotional but just idk... growing up and living life emotional?

Personally, I can't stand Clannad. Hated it and all the characters. Felt the same way about Koe no Katachi - again, disliked all the characters and didn't think any of them were worthy of salvation/a good end lol.

Predict
05-31-2023, 05:16 PM
I feel like the classics are Angel Beats, Ano Hana, also more recently Your Lie in April. Violet Evergarden was really good but I don't think I was ~as~ choked up as some of the other things I've watched. Your Name of course was amazing - I also recommend Boy and the Beast. Not like tragic emotional but just idk... growing up and living life emotional?

Personally, I can't stand Clannad. Hated it and all the characters. Felt the same way about Koe no Katachi - again, disliked all the characters and didn't think any of them were worthy of salvation/a good end lol.

Anohana and Your Lie in April are definite tearjerkers! What didn't you like about the Clannad characters?

Ice
05-31-2023, 05:53 PM
Predict I have a large personal bias against the stereotypical "ditzy/useless/overly genki but still useless" heroines, if they're super clumsy and idiotic but everyone finds them endearing because they're so cute and silly, chances are I hate them. 😂 These types of characters just drive me insane and really rub me the wrong way because I find them so annoying lol. So it's very difficult to watch series with that stereotype, and I feel a lot of series shoujo or otherwise from around that time had them in spades. I didn't really care for any of the side characters either and the main guy (Tomoyo? maybe that was his name, blue haired guy) suffered from "oh I'm so average and just a normal guy but all these girls are dying to date me" which makes me just 🥴🥴 lol! (yes that means I dislike pretty much a huge slice of series since that was quite a popular trope/set up for harem anime and such xD)

Predict
05-31-2023, 06:00 PM
Predict I have a large personal bias against the stereotypical "ditzy/useless/overly genki but still useless" heroines, if they're super clumsy and idiotic but everyone finds them endearing because they're so cute and silly, chances are I hate them. 😂 These types of characters just drive me insane and really rub me the wrong way because I find them so annoying lol. So it's very difficult to watch series with that stereotype, and I feel a lot of series shoujo or otherwise from around that time had them in spades. I didn't really care for any of the side characters either and the main guy (Tomoyo? maybe that was his name, blue haired guy) suffered from "oh I'm so average and just a normal guy but all these girls are dying to date me" which makes me just 🥴🥴 lol! (yes that means I dislike pretty much a huge slice of series since that was quite a popular trope/set up for harem anime and such xD)

Fair enough! I think I have a soft spot for Clannad since it was my first slice of life. I defs agree about the side characters not being super interesting. I enjoyed watching the character development for Tomoya & Nagisa's relationship, and l really liked Nagisa's parents with the Bakery store haha :D

Zenitsu
06-11-2023, 06:13 PM
Hotarubi no Mori e and Grave of the Fireflies! They both make me ugly-cry! 🥺

kalez
06-11-2023, 06:35 PM
I would classify these two as "crybait", but definitely Violet Evergarden and Anohana.
As for something that never fails to make me tear up, it's the ending of Gunbuster.

Edit: I gotta throw in Angel Beats and AIR as well.