PDA

View Full Version : PVE is no longer coming to Overwatch 2

Cat Purrson
05-29-2023, 04:48 PM
Not sure if this was discussed already here, but I am super disappointed that the PVE mode that was leaked will no longer be implemented into the game. For anyone not aware, Blizzard released a trailer for Overwatch 2 when it was announced stating there will be a PVE mode that goes into the story of the game. The gameplay looked amazing and made me SO excited to play it.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Now that this idea has been scrapped, I find no joy in playing this game anymore as the game is just a slightly updated version of the original game. Even new characters they introduce to the game can't be played without purchasing the battle pass. I feel like the game has turned into a giant cash grab with nothing exciting being added to it. How does everyone else feel about the changes to the game or the original ideas being scrapped?

Pidgey
05-29-2023, 04:52 PM
I never played this game until last month.

A friend that started playing with me on COD asked me to play this.

I couldn't get into it though... so im not sure a PVE would have changed my experience or not.

My friend has a group that loves playing and he says he's a top 500 in tanks (the shield guy). I'm not even sure I know what that means.

But I definitely understand feeling disappointed about a game. Sorry I don't have much of an opinion otherwise.

BryanCranston
05-29-2023, 04:53 PM
I find no joy in playing this game anymore as the game is just a slightly updated version of the original game. Even new characters they introduce to the game can't be played without purchasing the battle pass. I feel like the game has turned into a giant cash grab with nothing exciting being added to it. How does everyone else feel about the changes to the game or the original ideas being scrapped?

This 100%. I loved OW1 and now I can't stand OW2.

Mothman
05-29-2023, 05:50 PM
I love Overwatch. I adore it, I have thousands of hours into it, I played for three hours a day in this last season. I am so so heartbroken by this news that I haven't picked it back up for a while... I will probably keep playing tbh but it's really a tragedy. They totally fucked up this franchise and I really, really hope they can come back from this in some way.

Cinnamoroll
05-29-2023, 05:56 PM
Whaaaaaat? No PVE? That’s frickin stupid… now I’m bummed, too LOL. What’s the point then of a second one like???

Juna
05-29-2023, 07:23 PM
Overwatch 1 died for this (PvE)… so like can it go back to 6v6? I liked that better.

Buizel
05-29-2023, 07:42 PM
Whaaaaaat? No PVE? That’s frickin stupid… now I’m bummed, too LOL. What’s the point then of a second one like???

For Blizzard to gouge as much money as possible from their huge player base before dropping the news of "oops we're not delivering on our promises anymore, but thanks for the mon-I mean support for OW2!!" It's the same thing with 343 and Halo at the moment.

Ever since games turned into these live action games to receive "months/years of post launch content", developers have started to monetize EVERY trivial thing in a game. Skins, weapons, poses, ect. OW2 was a cash grab from the start and it's honestly fascinating to watch Blizzard throw away such an expanding and popular game just to make a few bucks. :disturbed:

Cinnamoroll
05-29-2023, 07:48 PM
For Blizzard to gouge as much money as possible from their huge player base before dropping the news of "oops we're not delivering on our promises anymore, but thanks for the mon-I mean support for OW2!!" It's the same thing with 343 and Halo at the moment.

Ever since games turned into these live action games to receive "months/years of post launch content", developers have started to monetize EVERY trivial thing in a game. Skins, weapons, poses, ect. OW2 was a cash grab from the start and it's honestly fascinating to watch Blizzard throw away such an expanding and popular game just to make a few bucks. :disturbed:

No kidding! You summed it up perfectly. No wonder I keep going back and playing games I’ve played a million times before instead.

Ice
05-30-2023, 03:28 PM
Late but personally as someone who plays OW a lot (it's my main pvp game and pretty much the only fps I play/enjoy with regularity) the news itself didn't phase me because I don't actually like pve content and wasn't looking forward to it/cared for it at all (I'd never play the pve event modes in OW1). That being said, it is a horrible look for Blizzard (no surprise there) and I do feel really bad for the players who were excited for it. I feel like OW has unfortunately such a bad rep despite having great characters and stories to tell so even though it's gone free, a lot of people would still feel hesitant to try it out and/or find the battlepass system (as I do) extremely off putting.

The two leads did an interview here (very lengthy) explaining their thought process behind dropping pve content.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Basically it boiled down to we can't keep up with providing for the live game while developing this on the side so... yeah, great project management there I guess. I'll quote my friend who I think summed up the situation and it is pretty shitty :/

Without PvE, OW2 shouldn't have ever been made. They starved OW1 for years with no content, and then released OW "2" with LESS content than overwatch 1 had (No on fire system, no lootboxes, no LFG, no workshop, no levels, matchmaking is busted, no way to see your SR, no way to see your team's SR, new bugs for old heroes/maps, no 2 CP, heroes locked behind pay walls, and your ENTIRE OW1 comp history deleted), and now they are slowly give us stuff back that was already in the game.. and saying "We're releasing more content than EVER."

meanwhile they gaslit us into believing they were working on PvE, when really they just delivered us a hollow shell of a game, stripped of it's features and then slowly reintroduced those features as "content". smh..

Soap
05-31-2023, 08:47 AM
Overwatch is also my go to FPS and the game I play most frequently so was super bummed to read this the other day.

Cat Purrson
05-31-2023, 08:51 AM
Honestly it is very heartbreaking to me as I absolutely LOVED playing Overwatch 1. I've played since beta and I actually met my fiance on the game. It will always hold a special place in my heart but I've just not enjoyed it as much as I used to and was really looking forward to the PVE content to reel me back in. Without it, I just don't see myself getting on to play unless I'm playing with a group of friends.

Synth Salazzle
05-31-2023, 10:19 AM
i'm suddenly really really glad I never got into overwatch now. I did not succumb to the peer pressure because I just knew they'd drop the ball somehow. it's a shame, it actually was a really promising series that I had a heavy debate with myself about if it should be tried or not.

Cat Purrson
06-01-2023, 02:44 PM

I don't feel like it was a cash grab from the start. I never put a dime into the game other than purchasing it, yet I had all the skins and poses because they would reward you with loot boxes for every level. Sometimes they would even offer loot boxes if you filled a certain role in the queue like tank or support. They would give them out like crazy and they contained skins, victory poses, and even credits to buy more skins. I had every cosmetic in the game simply by playing. I really wish it was like this again because I'd remember getting so excited for the events like Halloween and Christmas and would play SO much to earn the special event skins.

Edit: Sorry I just noticed you said OW2 was a cash grab from the start and YOU RIGHT!!

Ice
06-01-2023, 02:47 PM
EXACTLY. I did NOT mind the what, 15-25$ when on sale to buy OW because I could play events and earn skins et al. simply for playing, and even then I had surplus coins to buy whatever I didn't get before the event ended. Now literally everything of notable desire is locked behind the premium battle pass paywall (that I will NEVER pay for, eat my ass Blizzard) and as a non-paying player it feels horrible to grind a battle pass for very little reward (so, I don't lol).

Cat Purrson
06-01-2023, 02:51 PM
EXACTLY. I did NOT mind the what, 15-25$ when on sale to buy OW because I could play events and earn skins et al. simply for playing, and even then I had surplus coins to buy whatever I didn't get before the event ended. Now literally everything of notable desire is locked behind the premium battle pass paywall (that I will NEVER pay for, eat my ass Blizzard) and as a non-paying player it feels horrible to grind a battle pass for very little reward (so, I don't lol).

So many games are going the battle pass route and it's so sad. I hate feeling like I need to grind a game to earn rewards I ALREADY PAID FOR! :o_o: