PDA

View Full Version : 3-D Printing!

Excalibur
04-24-2023, 09:17 AM
Use this thread if you 3-D Print! I've been having a blast at work. We have 6 printers and im constantly doing something different:

These are 3d printed card displays. will fit top loaders and such, i do have other designs i can print if you guys have graded slabs too!

Modify keebs? i can 3d print a switch splitter and housing for it. pretty neat little doodad. you need to print in the highest thickness setting to use this though. ive broken 4 already because i didnt set the settings correctly.

my most recent, laptop stand so my over heating brand new dell can breathe lol

what have you guys printed?

Ice
04-24-2023, 02:30 PM
Those are so cool and functional, I really like just how limitless you can be with 3d printing! Also particularly funny since I just bought a laptop stand similar to that off Amazon the other day for exactly the same reason, should have had my partner print one for me. :( We don't have a printer atm (used to live with my sibling who had 2 however, used it for printing cosplay props) but my partner is absolutely champing at the bit to get at least one for our household soon. He uses them to print tiles/minis for ttrpg but I personally have a few things I'd like to display that could require custom stands pieces. On one hand it'd be super useful to be able to print little bits and bobs whenever we need them, but I'm really sick of listening to the 3d printers go off all day and am not looking forward to my house being overrun with D&D tiles. 🤣

Synth Salazzle
04-24-2023, 02:39 PM
You could sell bootleg mini figs for a small fortune tbh.

Excalibur
04-24-2023, 03:04 PM
Ice i totally get that, at work our printers are in rooms way away from our offices so maybe if you decide to you could set up in a separate room in the house? Or just have the partner print it LOL ! You should post some pics if you decide to do it! would be awesome!
Synthbass yeah probably, i try not to charge for anything printing these parts. We'll see... more testing and i could probably make them even better.

Ice
04-24-2023, 03:18 PM
Excalibur yeah, back at our old place the "craft room" shared a wall with our bedroom so I'd drift off to sleep to the sounds of whirring and mechanical squeaks xD I'm absolutely forcing him to put them in the garage or first floor if we get one at our new place lol!

Also Synthbass I think for the most expensive minis like, warhammer type shit there are like super strict regulations on what you can use in official gaming (because those figs are fucking EXPENSIVE) but I guess if someone wanted them just for collectors purposes or casual rings it's definitely an option!

Synth Salazzle
04-24-2023, 04:45 PM
Excalibur yeah, back at our old place the "craft room" shared a wall with our bedroom so I'd drift off to sleep to the sounds of whirring and mechanical squeaks xD I'm absolutely forcing him to put them in the garage or first floor if we get one at our new place lol!

Also Synthbass I think for the most expensive minis like, warhammer type shit there are like super strict regulations on what you can use in official gaming (because those figs are fucking EXPENSIVE) but I guess if someone wanted them just for collectors purposes or casual rings it's definitely an option!

I do mean casual collector items to put on a shelf, nothing official

Nattiee
04-24-2023, 08:45 PM
UGHH Super envious of your printer access. I've been flirting with the idea of purchasing a resin 3D printer for a while now.. I'd love to create some home decor I can't find anywhere online. I have a feeling I'd only use it a couple times though.

I heard it can be difficult to get used to.. like set up the right settings to get what you want. Is that true or is it easier to use than what I've been told? Are the printers you have access to resin or filament?

Excalibur
04-25-2023, 03:04 PM
My printers are filament, the prusa is honestly the pain in the arse. the other couple arent as bad. ill get some pics of them and post them here! youd love them im sure. if you guys have a request i can do it! i have cheap shipping from my business days so just lmk <3 id be happy to help.

bitbean
05-28-2023, 09:08 AM
I was temped to make a thread on this, good thing I looked. I have one of the most modified ender 3 neo's I think ever made. Full rails, klipperized, upgraded cast bed and heater, microswiss NG, dual 5015 blowers, dual SKR mini e3 v3's and a belt z mod. Right now I'm printing stuff for a ultimaker 2 I got for settling a debt lol. It's clapped out but we're getting an aliexpress dual hotend head. Hopefully this thing will print ABS and ASA much better then my open ender 3.

What printer are you using Excalibur?

Charmander
05-28-2023, 10:01 AM
One of the doctors I work with is big into 3D printing. I recently went to a conference and saw a bunch of neat 3D printed medical devices. I am hoping to pair up with them to create some things! I know nothing about it and how it works so it will be a journey!

Not sure if this is a thing but can you 3D print with a soft silicone material?

bitbean
05-29-2023, 07:38 AM
One of the doctors I work with is big into 3D printing. I recently went to a conference and saw a bunch of neat 3D printed medical devices. I am hoping to pair up with them to create some things! I know nothing about it and how it works so it will be a journey!

Not sure if this is a thing but can you 3D print with a soft silicone material?

Yes, the material is called TPU(Thermoplastic Polyurethane). I have a spool of some, it's probably a little harder than silicon, but it's flexible and printable. Think unlimited garden hose gaskets and RC car wheels.

IWantToBelieve
07-05-2023, 02:19 PM
I just bought a Prusa MK4 with enclosure, I am really excited to start printing again!

My last print was a Prusa resin printer but it got stolen out of my garage :(

balzabul
07-05-2023, 06:04 PM
I work at a library lucky enough to have been gifted a 3d printer by a donor, but it can't print anything nearly as clean looking as what you've done! It's a pretty old model and it really doesn't like highly-detailed stuff or anything taller than a few centimeters lol

kittyray
07-05-2023, 06:56 PM
I work at a library lucky enough to have been gifted a 3d printer by a donor, but it can't print anything nearly as clean looking as what you've done! It's a pretty old model and it really doesn't like highly-detailed stuff or anything taller than a few centimeters lol

I did some tooling around with a pretty old 3D printer a couple years ago and it was fun, but similarly limited. Have been low-key thinking of looking into tutorials to convert it into a pen plotter of some sort.

xmilo
07-08-2023, 10:51 AM
this is so cool! i've always wanted to have my own 3d printer. but the electricity costs here is increasing every couple of months. it's like 0.21/kwh at the moment from the cheapest electricity provider.
i have a shrimp aquarium running in my house. and with the chiller, lights, fans, submersible pumps and what not, it's slowly starting to add up.
electricity aside, i've heard it's pretty noisy (which you have already mentioned) and it's something like a heat generator? my chiller has already increased my ambient temperature by about 1°F. not sure if that's a wise choice. lul.

gobblegum
07-27-2023, 01:50 PM
My Ender 3 & I are not currently speaking. Everything has been going great, until suddenly it decides to clog on my day off... Pfft. Like sure, I wasn't planning on printing a purse holder for my car that would've took 8 hours when I could've bought it from the store for cheap. It's cool.

bitbean
07-28-2023, 10:01 PM
My Ender 3 & I are not currently speaking. Everything has been going great, until suddenly it decides to clog on my day off... Pfft. Like sure, I wasn't planning on printing a purse holder for my car that would've took 8 hours when I could've bought it from the store for cheap. It's cool.

If it's still a bowden tube stock ender, take out the heatbrake, rub some thermal grease on it. Make sure the ptfe tube is in there tight and everything is cranked down good. Heat it up to 260ish and retighten everything again. I promise(as long as your nozzle isn't damaged) your clogs will be gone. I just went through this with my aliexpress chimera clone after being spoiled by nice micro swiss DD extruder.