PDA

View Full Version : Christopher Paolini - Murtagh

Teakwood
03-08-2023, 04:48 PM
Did anybody read the Inheritence series? Paolini announced that he's written another book. Murtagh.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]©-2023-by-John-Jude-Palencar.png

Click Me ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

I'm curious to see where this picks up.

Murtagh is set roughly one year after the events of Inheritance and is a direct sequel to the original four books (and The Fork, the Witch, and the Worm). The book releases on November 7th, 2023 and is available for pre-order now.

I will definitely be needing to reread the first four books for a little refresher. I haven't picked up these books in about 10 years.

What are you most excited for? Do you think it's going to be mainly focused on Murtagh, or do you think Eragon and Arya will make a big appearance?

Flordibel
03-09-2023, 11:59 AM
Whoa, no way! Man, I haven't read those books in ages, but Murtaugh was always my favorite character. (I love the emo boys lol.) I may just have to reread as well 👀

I really hope that if Eragon/Arya/Saphira make an appearance that they'll only be at the end. I'd LOVE to see a book focused on Murtaugh's Dragon Rider history and growing up with Thorn.

Teakwood
03-09-2023, 10:00 PM
Whoa, no way! Man, I haven't read those books in ages, but Murtaugh was always my favorite character. (I love the emo boys lol.) I may just have to reread as well 👀

I really hope that if Eragon/Arya/Saphira make an appearance that they'll only be at the end. I'd LOVE to see a book focused on Murtaugh's Dragon Rider history and growing up with Thorn.

That's literally what I was telling my brother. Like, maybe they all correspond to each other after the year is over ya know? Or he asks them for help in defeating whatever this new threat is.

I want this book to be 99% about Murtagh, and then at the end, we get to catch up with the others.

Hopefully this will inspire him to continue writing this series (sub series possibly?). It was one of my favorites growing up, and I just bought the set again (I have it on my kindle, but it's not the same, which I'm sure you know).

ButterBird
03-13-2023, 04:36 PM
I loved the original books when I was a teen and still largely remember them, so I'll likely pick up this one (especially as murtagh was one of my favourites, d:) once its out in bookstores. Excited to read it, mainly because I'm sure that Paolini's writing must have improved notably between the last inheritance cycle book and this one d:

Lyrichord
03-13-2023, 05:40 PM
Oh wow. It's been ages since I read the original series in full. I'm with Butterbird, I'm excited to see how his writing has improved! The last book felt a little too long and a bit too much like a mashup between Star Wars and LOTR but I enjoyed the series as a whole.

Looks like I'll be rereading these this year in preparation! :$

DC Comics
03-13-2023, 06:46 PM
I only realized there was the original series - I hadn't heard of that The Fork, the Witch, and the Worm book. I just looked it up and it said it was the first book in the new series, but it looks like there hasn't been another since then (2018?) and it doesn't seem like this new Murtaugh book is part of that series.

Excited to see this series is still going. I loved it so much when I was a kid. I remember how excited I was when the movie came out and going opening night to it, and when everyone was convinced the third book (back when it was only going to be a trilogy) was going to be called "Empire."

God, that was a nostalgia tsunami.

franpan
03-16-2023, 10:38 PM
My teenage self would be freaking tf out right now. I was so obsessed with those books in middle school, and Murtagh was always my favorite character. I remember Paolini stated in the afterword (I think??) of Inheritance that he wished to continue writing in that universe one day, but I didn't think it would actually happen. Guess it's time for a reread! Thanks for making this post-- I would have had no idea otherwise.

Teakwood
11-12-2023, 09:45 AM
Just going to give this a little bump. I have it sitting on my desk, but I'm currently on book 3 right now. I know I need to finish 3 and 4 before I crack this one open, but from what I've gathered, it's on par with the rest of Paolini's books.

Did anybody else buy it/have read it?

Trash Panda
11-13-2023, 12:21 PM
OMG, I had a massive crush on Murtagh! I had no idea he was writting another Inheritence book. :o_o:
I wasn't the biggest fan of the fourth book, but maybe it was because I read it many years after reading Brisingr and my hype had died a lil bit.

But this is exciting!!! I think I'll re-read the whole series again and get Murtagh for Christmas B)

Shinx
12-26-2023, 04:28 AM
I'm digging my books out of storage this week so I can re-read them all again! Excited for the new book!

Lyrichord
12-26-2023, 04:53 AM
NTYGLT Thank you for posting and reminding me I was going to write about it!!

I started this book in a waiting room a few weeks back, and am finally returning to it! First of all, having recently read Paolini's other recent book, To Sleep in a Sky of Stars (I recommend to sci-fi/sci-fi curious people) - it's so funny seeing the tie-ins since even though they are written about totally different universes. There are some clear allusions and it's great. :D

I think the one thing that I've noticed that's bugging me to most, compared to TSIASOS, is how Murtagh's personality is described, so consistently, and spelled out. I get it, he's an angsty young man who's been through the absolutely unlivable and lived to tell the tale, but I don't need as much repeat on it. I I'm about 1/2 way through the book now so I'll see if this changes. Plot wise, it's looking to be pretty interesting!

For those curious, as of the 1/2 way point, Eragon and Saphira and Arya are only mentioned - this seems to be Murtagh's personal quest.

I'll report back when I've finished the book!

Lyrichord
12-29-2023, 04:07 AM
Well, I finished the book. Rest assured, the Eragon/Saphira/Arya group are only mentioned or have only a trivial role at the very end.

The first half of the book covered about 3 locations, similar to Paolini's To Sleep in a Sky of Stars (TSiaSoS), which covers about 5 or 6 areas. The second half of Murtagh is all at the same camp. If you like horror and don't mind violence, maybe you won't have as bad a time of it, but it's this crazy witch camp, and the battle, once you get to it, takes absolute ages. Not my cup of tea, nor were the nightmares I got from reading it. I am quite sensitive to these things and am guarded about what I watch/read, but normally they don't infiltrate my dreams! +1 to Paolini's writing, 0 for Lyrichord. Anyway, for that reason alone I don't recommend the book, but others might not be as bothered.

Speaking of nightmares, the nightmare creatures from TSiaSoS are 100% in Alagaësia or visited at one point. At least something interesting came from the book?

I'm editing this to add, while the book concludes where the mystery items are from, and their source, the true source is not the battle in this book. I fully expect there will be more novels in the series, the next probably being where everyone joins up. In the appendix Paolini writes that this is not the true "book 5" of the Inheritance Cycle, and I agree: it's more of Murtagh's side-quests, notable as they are. At least his character is fully fleshed out by the end of the book!

Hopes for my next sci-fi book: more exploring, less violence!