PDA

View Full Version : Memorable Musical Anime Themes - Discussion

Lyrichord
02-17-2023, 02:20 AM
Is there a character theme, opening/ending song, or OST moment that sticks with you? Here are some guiding sorts of questions: What about it highlights the character or scene, and how? What about it do you like? Has this theme or song had a particular impact in your life? I’m thinking one song per post, and I’m looking forward to all the musical discussion around them. :D

I’ll start since I’m creating this thread! I’ve been thinking of creating this for a few days as I finish rewatching the original Bleach series.

This song’s name is Invasion. It’s first heard in the Arrancar plot, but it’s also in the Bleach movie “The Diamond Dust Rebellion.” I tried to see if it was in the Bleach OST under a different name but couldn’t find it readily. If someone knows, please tell me!

Anime Context:
The world inside Bleach is generally separated into Earth, the Soul Society (a tangible realm for human souls where they continue to live post Earthly death) and Hueco Mundo, where hollows or soul-eaters live. Arrancars are super hollows that have consumed so many souls they regain their rational thinking, and particularly the Espadas who are the most humanlike and the elite of the elite. One ran the place before Aizen took over. Aizen has one of his Espada, Ulquiorra, kidnap Ichigo’s best friend Orihime. She is taken to Hueco Mundo - so naturally Ichigo goes to rescue her. Orihime has god-like abilities to not just heal but reject phenomenon. The song plays as Ichigo starts battling his way to the top where she is held, and the fights begin to get particularly arduous.

Personal Context:
I played this song in the background during the epic part of a one-act based on Hamlet, back when I was in high school! It might have only been in the recorded version? But in my mind I could hear it while the actor was on stage. It fit perfectly!

Musical Thoughts, just for fun!:
Because the song is sung in such a heavy meter - gosh I don’t even know which one to call it - I find it very hard to understand. If an Iambic meter is every other syllable accented “to sleep per chance to dream” and Anapest is every 3rd syllable emphasized “twas the night be fore Christ mas and all through the house” … this is every 4th. Which doesn’t follow traditional music at all. In a standard 4:4 tempo the first beat of each measure is the strongest, with the 4th being the most quiet unless there’s an accent or other increase in sound indicated. This is completely backwards! Maintaining it the whole way through is chaotic, blinding even. Maybe that’s the point? I can barely make out the lyrics. I thought they were Latin for a very long time until I actually looked them up. The staccato motif screams of the adrenal fight response. Do or die.

Edit: on second twentieth listen, the lyrics actually are in iambic, they're just being emphasized on the 4th. Without the written score I can't tell if it truly is the 4th beat either, but the musical effect is still the same. It's crazy, but epic!

It also toys with the Carmina Burana theme which is in Latin. I found a version with the English translation here ([Only registered and activated users can see links]). The first comment gives good history of the song: in short, a Roman senator who was falsely accused of treason wrote the text while imprisoned and awaiting horrific death. It became the foundation for all Medieval and Renaissance concepts of fate and wheel of fortune. (Note to self to play this the next time I spin the Wheel of Extortion Extravagance.)

Carmina, in d minor, emphasizes each syllable equally. The main theme starts: FFEE, FFEE, FFEFGFE.

Invasion, in c minor, goes Eb Eb Eb F Eb Eb Eb F Eb Eb Eb G F F Bb. The key signature is a whole step down as if it’s that extra step closer to the end, yet the end of every other sentence goes up as if jabbing the enemy with a sword, even if fate seems inevitable. Where Carmina ends its phrases going down as surely as fate is coming, Invasion ends them going up, saying "I'm not going down that easily," extra emphasized by whatever you want to call that meter.

Ichigo really resembles that nearly-blind “I’m going to do whatever it takes” while his friends are all shaking their heads saying “dummy, you can’t do it by yourself, we’ll go with you. As strong as you are having more people on your team isn’t going to hurt!” Maybe it's just that there are similar notes involved with similar intervals, but I would be shocked if Shiro Sagisu didn't at least consider Carmina Burana's musical history while composing for the anime.

Musical and contextual analysis aside, it’s just an epic sounding song with that “ooh this is dark but where is it going” vibe. It’s stuck with me all these years, and hearing it within the anime again brought a big smile to my face!

Lyrics:
To every man there is a cause which he would gladly die for
Defend the right to have a place to which he can belong to
And every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation
And shed his blood to stem the flood, to barricade invasion

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Lyrichord
02-22-2023, 03:17 AM
Lyrichord geeking out about “Invasion”: Part Two.

I did some more research and I was able to find the Bleach episodes the theme plays during! It's #194 (Neliel vs Nnoitra origin story) and #198 (Captain Kurotsuchi vs Szayelaporro).

What I found particularly interesting is how similar it a piece called “Aizen’s Theme - Treacherously” or “Treachery-Treacherously." It plays fully in episode #293 (Aizen vs Captains) and #301 (Urahara and Yoruichi vs Aizen).

Lyrics:
I can tell that you've never been true to me
I can smell that you're acting so fearfully
I can hear what you're hoping I want to hear
I can feel the alarm bells are ringing in me
I can touch but I know you don't feel a thing
I can pray but I know you commit a sin
I can sense now it's all become clear to see
You're no good, and you mean no good treacherously.

It’s the 5 senses Aizen controls. :o_o: As Aizen says, “Trusting someone...means relying on them - and only the weak do that. I never ask them to trust me at all. I told them to come with me but I never told them to trust me. And I always tell them not to trust anyone, including myself."

Lyrically “Invasion” reads better as poetry, but it’s a challenging melody to add lyrics to with its chant like nature. This is the darker and more musically complex variation on the musical theme. "Invasion" is single-minded, win or die trying. Crazy, and chaotic, but still a simpler tune than "Treacherously," for which, fittingly, there's way more than meets the eye/ear musically. It feels a lot more like a "in the middle" song to me than the "Carmina Burana" - esque "Invasion". A second look at the lyrics and this all makes sense: "Invasion" is a statement, there is cause that man will fight for; "Treacherously" is the fear when the enemy taunts back stronger.

For this theme to only appear in 4 episodes + just as briefly in 2 movies, I’m shocked I remember it so well and that it made such an impact. They’re just that good! I would absolutely love to hear both of them remastered. "Invasion" is my easy favorite between the two if I'm listening to them outside of the anime, but realizing all the context around "Treachery" and hearing it again has been a jaw-drop moment!

Cat Purrson
02-22-2023, 04:32 AM
These are some of my all time favorites!

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood Opening 1

FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood End Credits 1

Mirai Nikki Opening

NORAGAMI Opening

Blue Exorcist Opening

KJiU
03-01-2023, 10:53 PM
Butterfly Tri version ~

Heart of Sword ( Rounin Kenshin / Samurai X )

You can't Unseen TM Revolution's MV after you watch it ( Watch at your own risk haha )

Yu-Gi-Oh's Passionate Duelist theme song :

Fairy Tail's Dragon Force OST:

Flordibel
03-02-2023, 11:59 AM
I'm gonna be REALLY basic here, but does anything go harder than Attack on Titan's Guren no Yumiya? This song is what made me sit up straight and pay attention to the show lol - it just fits the tone of the first season perfectly, giving me the rage and horror and drive that compels the characters!

Also, Revolutionary Girl Utena's opening Rinbu Revolution!

This always feel like I'd jam to it in a 90s jazz lounge, or something. The visuals are PERFECTION too.

And while it's not strictly anime, God Shattering Star from Fire Emblem: Three Houses is just so fucking incredible lol

They're going against an evil institution that's been hiding behind the church, and the operatic vocals at the beginning combined with the heavy beats and synthesizer drops emphasize the weird unholy union of that villain arc perfectly

Zombabe
04-16-2023, 02:17 AM
The most memorable OP for me would have to be Elfen Lied's "Lilium".
The video is comparatively quite plain when lined up against openings in similar horror/drama genre, and is slow moving while stylised artworks, inspired by Gustav Klimt, play alongside the orchestral music. My first encounter with this OP was when I was a young teenager, I didn't give much thought to the opening other than believing the music to be pretty. Nevertheless, the song has always stuck with me throughout my life and having the opportunity to revisit the video as an adult creates an entirely new visual experience. The overall desire for love, affection, truth of self and their inability to truly ever hold it.

NSFW WARNING: Nudity

Lyrichord
06-10-2023, 02:53 AM
I keep meaning to go through these! I think I'll have to go post by post to make sure I appreciate them properly!

Cat Purrson The FMA songs are so nostalgic! The opening is fun. The closing has that sweet summer, we know where we're going and what our mission is, feel. :$ I like the cartoon drawings from the first part of the series too.

Mirai Nikki: dang that dark choir vocal dissolving into the chaos of the electric guitars or whatever they used right at the beginning. The musical phrasing really feels like it's drawing one down in circles along with it. Looks like it matches the show's theme pretty well!

Blue Exorcist: Even with the subtitles I appreciate how the artwork changes as each new musical theme changes or morphs! It's so well synced.

Thank you for sharing!

Buizel
06-10-2023, 03:44 AM

Inuyasha was one of the first animes I got into! :) Mostly because the openings/endings from each season were B O P S :grief:

KJiU
06-10-2023, 04:07 AM
Buizel Just to add on into your comment on inuyasha's songs haha. The ending 4 - Every Heart is the gateway that leads anime lovers to cross over to K-pop haha not for all but there is quite a big number xD including me :). After listening to that song they search for the singer which is BoA that leads into K-pop haha.

Rowlet
06-10-2023, 04:31 AM
This song is on Spotify and you bet I pump the speakers loud when it comes on (Hunter X Hunter - Departure)

Also really love this CCS opening~

Bulbasaur
06-10-2023, 11:40 AM
So, I've watched a few different Anime that are not the norm, but I SUPER love the opening songs from them!

Here are two:

(Here's the ending to this one as I love it as well lol)

I found the first one from Time Warner (A cable company). They use to have this channel that had a few Anime options and Nerima was one of them.
The show is so wild lol

Lyrichord
06-13-2023, 11:36 PM
KJiU: Today’s the day to go through the songs you recommended!

Butterfly Tri version: Wish I had the translation for this! Sounds like a group of friends going on an adventure, and will get through it all together. *Checks lyrics. It took me a second to find them in English. I like the butterfly motif. It has that airy, free feeling to it! I can see how this is a catchy, light hearted, memorable tune!

Heart of Sword: This has some nice guitar solos in it!

I’m skipping the one that can’t be unseen.

Yu-Gi-Oh: I almost think I heard this as a kid? I like the orchestration on it! Drums, violins, some brass too?

Fairy Tail’s Dragon Force: Is that a fiddle at the beginning? I like how all the layers that meld over each other and overlap in the middle. It’s got me trying to picture it in concert! Kinda sounds rock meets Celtic in some ways. Wasn’t expecting it, but makes for a good listen!

Thank you for sharing!

KJiU
06-14-2023, 12:35 AM
KJiU: Today’s the day to go through the songs you recommended!

Butterfly Tri version: Wish I had the translation for this! Sounds like a group of friends going on an adventure, and will get through it all together. *Checks lyrics. It took me a second to find them in English. I like the butterfly motif. It has that airy, free feeling to it! I can see how this is a catchy, light hearted, memorable tune!

Heart of Sword: This has some nice guitar solos in it!

I’m skipping the one that can’t be unseen.

Yu-Gi-Oh: I almost think I heard this as a kid? I like the orchestration on it! Drums, violins, some brass too?

Fairy Tail’s Dragon Force: Is that a fiddle at the beginning? I like how all the layers that meld over each other and overlap in the middle. It’s got me trying to picture it in concert! Kinda sounds rock meets Celtic in some ways. Wasn’t expecting it, but makes for a good listen!

Thank you for sharing!

Haha Yay ! xD , all butterfly's version/cover are really nice but i just love the laid back chill tri version more xD

The other 3 i listed, are more shonen anime series as i think they resonate more with the series :D more of a fighting spirit song.

Ah actually this was left out but just let me drop this in to compete the "Musical aspect xD"
Hikarunara by goose House - Your Lie in April Op ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Lyrichord
06-14-2023, 12:42 AM
Haha Yay ! xD , all butterfly's version/cover are really nice but i just love the laid back chill tri version more xD

The other 3 i listed, are more shonen anime series as i think they resonate more with the series :D more of a fighting spirit song.

Ah actually this was left out but just let me drop this in to compete the "Musical aspect xD"
Hikarunara by goose House - Your Lie in April Op ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

9.9m views in 1 year? AND English captions?? Yay! I'm not into "pop song" style music generally, and I have a feeling this would be a lot better in context, but it has that sweet major-key upswing that the genre has. And of course the production on it is nice! :$

KJiU
06-14-2023, 12:58 AM
9.9m views in 1 year? AND English captions?? Yay! I'm not into "pop song" style music generally, and I have a feeling this would be a lot better in context, but it has that sweet major-key upswing that the genre has. And of course the production on it is nice! :$

Glad that you like it :D , its actually an pretty old song i think it was from 2015 one of the OG tier anime openings. You will still see it in top10-100 anime opening that those youtuber / reaction videos. Its nice that it is still has a spot after many years have past xD

ireailes
06-14-2023, 01:38 AM
Oh I just saw this thread !! I'm a musical anime nerd bahaha. YLIA is my all-time favourite anime and it's really meaningful to me.

I think my favourite song is Kaori's character song,

Her vocals over the blended piano + violin rlly hit hard TwT.

Also the performance pieces of hibike euphonium (it's long)

The show is about a high school concert band and they practice the piece most of the season, it's really satisfying getting to hear the final piece alongside them, you watched all the work they put into it and it's really something special :'3

Kon
06-14-2023, 01:50 AM
For me I'd have to go with a classic, Asterisk from Bleach.

The reason I pick this is because whenever I think of Bleach, this song is the first thing that pops into my head.
As I've mentioned on other parts of the forum, Bleach is the first anime I watched and really got into. So this song/opening just has a special place in my heart!

There are other great songs to choose from, but this one really sticks out to me the most!

Lyrichord
06-14-2023, 02:25 AM

The reason I pick this is because whenever I think of Bleach, this song is the first thing that pops into my head.
As I've mentioned on other parts of the forum, Bleach is the first anime I watched and really got into. So this song/opening just has a special place in my heart!

There are other great songs to choose from, but this one really sticks out to me the most!

Bleach is also my first anime. 100% with you on the nostalgia! Asterisk isn't exactly "my style" musically but it holds a special place anyway. :$ The whole soundtrack is really amazing!

My personal fave of the openings is this one:

Kon
06-14-2023, 02:27 AM
Bleach is also my first anime. 100% with you on the nostalgia! Asterisk isn't exactly "my style" musically it holds a special place anyway. :$ The whole soundtrack is really amazing!

My personal fave of the openings is this one:

Yoo!! I totally forgot about this opening! Gahh that's definitely an amazing choice!
I'm actually tempted to watch Bleach again from start to finish, but I know that's going to take me a LONG time to get through. LOL

Lyrichord
06-14-2023, 02:31 AM
Yoo!! I totally forgot about this opening! Gahh that's definitely an amazing choice!
I'm actually tempted to watch Bleach again from start to finish, but I know that's going to take me a LONG time to get through. LOL

I like the first opening, but it's that second opening by Uverworld that makes my heart go!!! :love_heart:

I just did it recently (inspired by cK, actually)!!! You can skip the fillers. Here's a guide ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), or depending on where you watch, they're greyed out for you. I also really skimmed through the 1/2 of the journey to, and into the castle, of Hueco Mundo. Then there's the new 1000 Year Blood War season on Hulu, and the next 13 or so ep. of that start coming out in early July. 👀

LibraryFaerie
06-14-2023, 10:14 AM
ooo this thread has so much goodness in it. Bulbasaur that Nerima Daikon Brothers opening is such a cool vibe.

I listen to a lot of Ghibli instrumentals, especially when I'm working, but the first things that came to mind is the OST for Afro Samurai (mini series). It's your classic revenge story. All but two songs were produced by RZA from Wu Tang Clan and it makes my little hip-hop heart happy. If I remember correctly, I fell in love with the soundtrack before I saw the show.

This is whole OST (an hour long)

Lyrichord
06-16-2023, 01:01 AM
Flordibel I’m giving yours a full listen today!

Guren No Yumiya: The opening chorals, into epicness, then straight into another theme? Then a synth, more chorals, and orchestration? It goes hard! I can see why this is the top of your list!

Rinbu Revolution: This is fun. I like the slight dance theme to it - jazz lounge sounds about right. :$

Shattering Star: I hear dark chorals, dissolving to get to to the bottom of something for justice. Which is an unlikely duo! Suiting for a villain arc.

Thank you for sharing!

TsUNaMy WaVe
06-17-2023, 12:34 PM
When it comes to meaningful songs in anime, I personally think that Revue Starlight wins. There are "fights" in this anime, but they are more like a clash of different ideals, and to accompany each of this matches there is a Revue song that represents perfectly each match, the characters that participate in it and the state that they are in during that particular moment, etc. Most people probably miss their immense depth during their first watch, because well, the song is just in the background while an action fight is going on along with some dialogue over it too. But studying these songs closely, man, that's just adding to why this anime is a masterpiece.

My favorite revue song from the original anime is this one:

But to give another example, there is one character with a conflict that seems more childish and playful, and the revue song during her match with the protagonist is childish and playful to reflect that:

And that was it for my usual Starlight recommendation in every anime thread lmao

Lyrichord
06-21-2023, 12:37 AM
The most memorable OP for me would have to be Elfen Lied's "Lilium".
The video is comparatively quite plain when lined up against openings in similar horror/drama genre, and is slow moving while stylised artworks, inspired by Gustav Klimt, play alongside the orchestral music. My first encounter with this OP was when I was a young teenager, I didn't give much thought to the opening other than believing the music to be pretty. Nevertheless, the song has always stuck with me throughout my life and having the opportunity to revisit the video as an adult creates an entirely new visual experience. The overall desire for love, affection, truth of self and their inability to truly ever hold it.

This is a really pretty theme. I found a version with a nuetral background here ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), as to avoid the NFSW. I'm not into that or horror, or dark stuff at all.

Just listening to it, without the visual from the anime, I'm shocked it's in the horror/drama genre. It seems that Latin based music in anime tends to go the dark route somehow. I looked up a translation pre-listen, and lyrics speak of a pure lily of faith basically. The contrast between these words and the show must be particularly jarring. I feel like there could easily be an application of this song in a setting that fits the song, with a show on the complete other side of the spectrum of Elfin Lied!

Thank you for sharing!

Ice
06-21-2023, 01:04 AM
A lot of super iconic op/eds have already listed but I think a lot of people can agree what a masterpiece the Samurai Champloo OST is, and their op is prob one of the most well known.

SC is just a great, quirky-off-on-an-adventure-where-everything-goes-awry-but-in-hilarious-ways with a lowkey and tastefully done old school hip hop vibe and Nujabes really nailed it. Even if it's not a super catchy/pop/upbeat/anisong kind of vibe, I think for the show, it fits it perfectly. :)

Another theme song (well, entire OST as well... lbr every single fucking song is a banger - Hiroyuki Sawano really WENT OFF.) that I shed literal tears over whenever I hear is the opening (and reprisal track a la HUGE MECHA SPACE BATTLE, STUDIO TRIGGER STYLE) to Promare "Inferno"! Paired with the opening animation of introducing you to the city and then jumping straight into the action, it literally just gives me CHILLS and this amazing, larger than life feeling of AWE. If you've never seen Promare and are a Studio Trigger (Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill) fan, I cannot recommend this movie enough.

I'm sure I will come up with more later but it's 2am and I've re-opened my box of Promare feels so... I'mma just be... under the blankets having a good cry. 🤧

foxe
06-21-2023, 01:36 AM
honestly i don't remember a single thing from Inuyasha, but that shakuhachi solo will be in my head until I die

Bulbasaur
06-21-2023, 01:41 AM
honestly i don't remember a single thing from Inuyasha, but that shakuhachi solo will be in my head until I die

This always takes me back to when I was a kid and would stay up SUPER late just to watch Inuyasha.
When the ending started playing I knew it was time for bed or else I'd get no sleep for school lol

I love this so much!

Lyrichord
06-21-2023, 01:54 AM

I'm currently in the phase where I'm staying up late watching this show!! This song is all the feels. :$ So happy that you shared it!
Bulbasaur You're not the only one for whom this song signals bedtime!

foxe
06-21-2023, 01:59 AM
This always takes me back to when I was a kid and would stay up SUPER late just to watch Inyuasha.
When the ending started playing I knew it was time for bed or else I'd get no sleep for school lol

I love this so much!

omg, same. i remember very vividly waiting for my parents to go to bed, then i'd sneak downstairs to watch it on the family PC, on youtube in like a million parts. I'd have keep the volume down super low and rely on subs so i could hear if my parents woke up. got REALLY good at figuring out the fastest way to turn off a PC hahah. also probably what acclimatized me to subtitles in the first place.

the nostalgia is so strong, i'm glad so many people had similar experiences

Bulbasaur
06-21-2023, 02:15 AM
I'm currently in the phase where I'm staying up late watching this show!! This song is all the feels. :$ So happy that you shared it!
Bulbasaur You're not the only one for whom this song signals bedtime!

I believe this is the reason why it's such a comfort anime and ending for me. It takes me back to my room, late at night, getting excited for the preview for the next episode lol
... ugh, I think I need to watch it again! I love it a ton lol

- - - Updated - - -

omg, same. i remember very vividly waiting for my parents to go to bed, then i'd sneak downstairs to watch it on the family PC, on youtube in like a million parts. I'd have keep the volume down super low and rely on subs so i could hear if my parents woke up. got REALLY good at figuring out the fastest way to turn off a PC hahah. also probably what acclimatized me to subtitles in the first place.

Yup! I had to keep the volume down and even had to put a blanket at the bottom of my door as my door was RIGHT across from my parents room lol
Toonami has so many great shows! I wish I could go back and do it all over again.
How time goes by );

Lyrichord
06-21-2023, 02:16 AM

This was me with Bleach, but on the mornings on weekends! It was a family computer, but I was able to discover private browsing mode, while no one else knew it was a thing! I don't like how most dubs sound, so subtitles it was, and it really helped with keeping the volume from traveling too. I had to be extra careful that someone didn't make an unexpected trip downstairs! I got good at figuring out where to hide, just in case someone was about to come in, and then how to go around back up to my room.

Just listening this, at 5am? Amazing. :$

Hollow
06-21-2023, 03:10 AM
This was me with Bleach, but on the mornings on weekends! It was a family computer, but I was able to discover private browsing mode, while no one else knew it was a thing! I don't like how most dubs sound, so subtitles it was, and it really helped with keeping the volume from traveling too. I had to be extra careful that someone didn't make an unexpected trip downstairs! I got good at figuring out where to hide, just in case someone was about to come in, and then how to go around back up to my room.

Just listening this, at 5am? Amazing. :$

Oh my god I was literally about to post this! This used to give me goosebumps!

Also this:

and this:

- - - Updated - - -

I also wanted to throw this into the mix:

One of my favourites next to opening 6 and 9!

Lyrichord
06-22-2023, 02:25 AM
Hollow my favorite opening from Bleach will always be UVERworld - D-TecnoLife. I can just see Rukia in the tower, looking out, resigned to her fate, and Ichigo trying to storm up to rescue her.

This theme came back to my head today, from DN Angel, apparently. I had to look up the name. I don't remember one thing about the anime!

The tune, especially the beginning, with the thunder like peals of drums is epic. Then it goes into the soft vocals, and back to the orchestration, it's just a well-rounded theme. I'm going to have to look up the plot online to see what it was about! I think the theme was probably better than the show though!

Hollow
06-22-2023, 08:39 AM
Lyrichord, the D-TechnoLife opening is such a VIBE! It's the beginning of the Soul Society arc, it brings back major nostalgia. That and Ichirin No Hana :D

Kibba
06-22-2023, 09:13 AM
This one

And this one just brings joy to my heart

These theme songs from Naruto Shippuden are some of the best ones...

hellraid
06-22-2023, 09:51 AM
For me it has to be these three

Lyrichord
06-24-2023, 08:10 PM
Currently enamored with Kagome's theme from Inuyasha. It's such a simple tune, but it conveys so much longing. I love pieces are written in those fairytale-like higher octaves. The song just sounds like a sunset after a rainstorm, knowing that the dawn will come soon again. Which, kinda depicts the story pretty well. Kagome's given such a hard role, but she faces it with incredible optimism nonetheless, and has friends to help guide her in the process. This song is going on repeat for a while!

Lyrichord
07-11-2023, 09:31 PM
This opening to Inuyasha is soo fun!!! :o_o: I just want to start dancing, lol. I consistently stopped to listen to it, even as I was speed-running through watching the show. Something about it just hits differently than the rest of the openings/endings (minus Kagome's theme, which I'm sure I'll talk about very soon). I love the Latin infusion in an otherwise Japanese piece of music! It does that thing where it keeps hopping to the next beat, adding phrase after phrase, building the energy throughout the whole song. Even having heard it 20-30 times now, I'm still bopping along. :)

kalez
07-11-2023, 09:53 PM
I guess I'll drop 3 of mine in here!

Hard to describe why this one's stuck with me for so long, but probably because of how cheery and upbeat it is.
Kobato is quite a gut puncher too.

Kuchizuke Diamond's piano riff is pretty simple but I just love it, gives the feeling of constantly building towards of something. Big fan of the vocalist's light tone here as well.

PRISM just gets me in a wistful and nostalgic mood - Dennou Coil is also one of my favorite anime of all time and having this as the opening theme helps cement it even further haha.

billytiddles
07-11-2023, 11:41 PM
For me the nostalgia hits hard with the openers, although there are one or two that the endings are memorable. I think it's the ones where just a small section of a song kicks off the entire series in my head.

The biggest trigger for me is the JIBUN WO~~~~~

That's the original opening to Code Geass

The piano section from this bad boy

TM Revolution hits so many songs for anime it's nuts.

And an ending that brings the whole show back

Host Club is one of the more obscure animes that I've watched and I loved it!

doraemon
07-12-2023, 01:03 AM
Host Club is one of the more obscure animes that I've watched and I loved it!

okay HOLD UP since when was Ouran obscure? :P

(I would also argue that KISS KISS FALL IN LOVE has taken up more space in my head than the ED, but I digress)

Sharing mine:

So: L's theme. An iconic leitmotif for a genius detective. BUT this version is the particular one I'm enamored with - the one with the bells in the background. It turns the cerebral rhythm from the original theme into something more ominous, more clashing. It adds a feeling of apprehension which fits the part of the anime where it plays (vague because spoilers). But of course, the original variation of the theme is also a banger :D

billytiddles
07-12-2023, 01:16 AM
okay HOLD UP since when was Ouran obscure? :P

(I would also argue that KISS KISS FALL IN LOVE has taken up more space in my head than the ED, but I digress)

Sharing mine:

So: L's theme. An iconic leitmotif for a genius detective. BUT this version is the particular one I'm enamored with - the one with the bells in the background. It turns the cerebral rhythm from the original theme into something more ominous, more clashing. It adds a feeling of apprehension which fits the part of the anime where it plays (vague because spoilers). But of course, the original variation of the theme is also a banger :D

That I've watched, mostly because I haven't started far from the mainstream path haha - and I agree the op is just as iconic but didn't want to list both for it

Synth Salazzle
07-12-2023, 09:51 PM
I haven't watched in a long time but the OP is one I listen to a LOT

Lyrichord
07-22-2023, 11:31 PM
There's so much music here I still want to go through! But today I'm giving a shout out to the song that came back to my mind, almost 15 years after I first heard it. :o_o: It was an opening theme to Vampire Knight. Didn't like the anime, but the opening's syncopated rhythm is very catchy.

Synthbass - you and Cat Purrson both have the Mirai Nikki OP as one of your faves! I had to go back through the thread to find it, because I was sure I'd heard it recently!

KJiU I listened to your Yu-Gi-Oh's Passionate Duelist theme song again, and it sounds so much like the music in Inuyasha, I'm shook! Who's the composer? It looks like they were both produced around the same time, so it could even be the same orchestra. It sounds like it!

KJiU
07-23-2023, 12:49 AM
Lyrichord, haha i went to googled them , but the results shown are they were different composers haha xD

Yugioh Atsuki duelist tachi /Passionate Duelist was by Shinkichi Mitsumune
Artist: Arranged by BEMANI Sound Team "Akhuta Works"
Composition: Shinkichi Mitsumune
Arrangement: Akhuta

Inuyasha's composer was : Kaoru WADA

Kaoru Wada (和田 薫, "Wada Kaoru") (born May 5, 1962) is the composer of music for the InuYasha franchise, composing the 3 official soundtracks, the scores to all 4 movies, and InuYasha The Final Act soundtrack.

Lyrichord
07-23-2023, 01:05 AM
Lyrichord, haha i went to googled them , but the results shown are they were different composers haha xD

Yugioh Atsuki duelist tachi /Passionate Duelist was by Shinkichi Mitsumune
Artist: Arranged by BEMANI Sound Team "Akhuta Works"
Composition: Shinkichi Mitsumune
Arrangement: Akhuta

Inuyasha's composer was : Kaoru WADA

Kaoru Wada (和田 薫, "Wada Kaoru") (born May 5, 1962) is the composer of music for the InuYasha franchise, composing the 3 official soundtracks, the scores to all 4 movies, and InuYasha The Final Act soundtrack.

I've been binge listening to Kaoru WADA's work on the soundtracks! Must just be a similar style thing then, from 2004. Thank you for finding the info!

Synth Salazzle
07-23-2023, 11:59 AM
There's so much music here I still want to go through! But today I'm giving a shout out to the song that came back to my mind, almost 15 years after I first heard it. :o_o: It was an opening theme to Vampire Knight. Didn't like the anime, but the opening's syncopated rhythm is very catchy.

Synthbass - you and Cat Purrson both have the Mirai Nikki OP as one of your faves! I had to go back through the thread to find it, because I was sure I'd heard it recently!

KJiU I listened to your Yu-Gi-Oh's Passionate Duelist theme song again, and it sounds so much like the music in Inuyasha, I'm shook! Who's the composer? It looks like they were both produced around the same time, so it could even be the same orchestra. It sounds like it!

Ooo in that case, try this!

Evelynn
07-24-2023, 06:51 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Madoka until now!
I rarely care for a show's entire soundtrack, but to this day, I think Madoka's soundtrack holds up as one of the greatest anime/show soundtracks of all time, and in my personal opinion, no other show I've ever watched has even come close to beating it. Yuki Kajiura went so hard with this soundtrack and it pays off in such a beautifully spectacular way. I'd like to highlight two songs in particular that I think best show the change in the musical direction throughout the story.

First, we have Credens Justitiam, which is one of the most recognizable songs from the series.

I would describe the theme of the song as being very hopeful and light, which fits the start of the show and the particular scenes this song features in. The main features of the song are the choir, flute and drums. It has just a very angelic motif to it, and feels very befitting of your typical magical girl anime, in my opinion, in terms of theming.

And as the series goes on, more and more of the tracks get darker and darker as the story devolves into something deeper and more complex than what appears on the surface. A lot of the music tracks follow that same concept, devolving into darker and much more different melodies. I think the track that best shows this, is Surgam identidem, which plays at one of the heights of the story. It also features a choir, heavy percussion and flute, though it's done in a way that is a complete tonal shift!

My own favourite track would have to be Symposium Magarum, which is a bit different to the ones above in that the main instrument in this piece are string instruments, which is very important to the story. It's such a hard hitting, heavy orchestral piece that is so beautiful to listen to.

But I think that you cannot talk about the music of the series without mentioning this specific track - Sis Puella Magica! I would say that it is kind of the main theme of the series. It's kind of the perfect blend of being hopeful but also wistful, which is the perfect note for the series. It features a choir, flute and of course the same kind of percussion.

If you haven't watched Madoka yet, I recommend it. It is by far my favourite anime, beyond any and all others. It's such a beautiful love letter to the magical girl genre - though I get really annoyed by people who don't understand that it isn't as trope breaking as what people say! It fits the pre-established tropes set by the magical girl animes before it perfectly, but unfortunately, people only see other magical animes at surface level! But that's a rant for another day, hahaha. I could rant about this specific subject for days.

Politoed
07-24-2023, 07:17 AM

dramaturgic
07-24-2023, 08:27 AM
Eden of the East was definitely not my first anime, but for some reason I think about this series from time to time because of how bizarre it started (seeing someone making their first onscreen appearance completely naked with a phone in hand left quite the impact on me as a teenager I guess :dil: ), and also the fact that they used Falling Down by Oasis as their opening was somewhat intriguing to me... I guess the song lyrics also kind of suit the uncanny/creepy/mysterious mood of the series:

And this is probably the most memorable anime OST for me:

I'm a huge Gintama fan! I've basically rewatched the series 3-4 times at this point, and this theme in particular stuck with me even though it's been barely used throughout the series, probably less than 10 times across 367 episodes. For those who are unaware, Gintama mostly classifies as a comedy anime, but there are also serious/emotional arcs here and there. Although the song is sometimes played in somewhat comical situations, the lyrics mention how the protagonist (Gintoki) tries his best to live his life in a world after the war and losing everything he cherished. It's a simple blues song, but pretty emotional when you eventually have a good grasp of Gintoki's personality and background coupled with the lyrics:

"Hold your head high and live your life"
It's easy to just say that
But the reality of it is harsh

Despite trying your best to look cool
The world just beats that down.
Even if you cry out in place brandishing pride,
Nobody is looking at you

You sold your soul
To this harsh world

You kneel and show a smile, even though you don't enjoy it
And every time you do that, you kill something (inside you)
You get worn down and hurt
Yet you still live on

With your silver hair swaying
You kept your silver soul deep in your chest

I always thought to myself
That things would never change
But that is a mistake

Footsteps of demise are approaching
And I try to cover it up in a rush
Even if I tell them to do the right thing
No one ever listens to me

I sold my soul
To this dying world

I show a cold smile as I give up and fall into despair
And every time I do that, I kill something (inside me)
We have no time left
Yet time still moves on

Watching over this silver world,
You kept your silver soul deep in your chest

With your silver hair swaying
You kept your silver soul deep in your heart

Gintama has so many good OPs and EDs, but this OST track in particular is one of my favorites of all time just for the lyrics itself :)
I'd say this is a pretty niche anime series since it has tons of references to Japanese anime and culture (even obscure ones that Japanese people themselves don't get sometimes ;) ), but that hasn't stopped many people from enjoying it for what it is! If you're looking for something that's light-hearted with a mix of heavy/emotional stuff (and not averse to dirty jokes because the show makes TONS of them), I'd highly recommend checking out this series (:

Lyrichord
07-28-2023, 12:53 AM
Evelynn Thanks for mentioning those songs! I agree, they’re composed wonderfully. The first song Credens Justitiam is so light and free, and the chorals sounds almost Irish inspired. Like I’m about to go on a grand adventure through a beautiful park and the sun is shining, and hope is singing in the air!

The strings in the second song Surgam Identidem, surging in minor chords, are deeply beautiful. Then when the soprano comes in, it’s like there’s another chance for hope as the key changes back to major, then it’s back to the harmonic minor. The climax of the drama, and the immediate aftermath!

Symposium Magarum reminds me of a waltz between enemies. There’s the push and pull with the strings and percussion, the floating to the music, but the tension with the chords.

Sis Puella Magica is the sound of faeries dancing in the glade! I’m convinced that music can make or break a show. For me personally, the more orchestration, the better, and knowing when for what is crucial. This is a really fun and simultaneously deep piece, even without knowing the lyrics.

It’s my hope to go through all the music in this thread - it’s been so fun!

Evelynn
07-28-2023, 11:20 AM
Evelynn Thanks for mentioning those songs! I agree, they’re composed wonderfully. The first song Credens Justitiam is so light and free, and the chorals sounds almost Irish inspired. Like I’m about to go on a grand adventure through a beautiful park and the sun is shining, and hope is singing in the air!

The strings in the second song Surgam Identidem, surging in minor chords, are deeply beautiful. Then when the soprano comes in, it’s like there’s another chance for hope as the key changes back to major, then it’s back to the harmonic minor. The climax of the drama, and the immediate aftermath!

Symposium Magarum reminds me of a waltz between enemies. There’s the push and pull with the strings and percussion, the floating to the music, but the tension with the chords.

Sis Puella Magica is the sound of faeries dancing in the glade! I’m convinced that music can make or break a show. For me personally, the more orchestration, the better, and knowing when for what is crucial. This is a really fun and simultaneously deep piece, even without knowing the lyrics.

It’s my hope to go through all the music in this thread - it’s been so fun!

Madoka definitely has a lot of celtic inspirations in its music, I'm so glad I could share it with you! It's funny, because some of the other tracks in the series have a very industrial feel to them, but most have that kind of celtic inspiration. Madoka is a series with very heavy symbolism, and the music really lends into that as well. I'm so glad you took time to listen to it! If you ever want to watch, the series is only 12 episodes long. A really easy anime to sit down and watch in one session.