PDA

View Full Version : Which Slice of Life Anime do you recommend?

Bulbasaur
01-10-2023, 01:58 PM
So, the talk of Anime has really got in in the mood to watch some new ones!
But, I REALLY enjoy Slice of Life type.
The thing is, I love like... REAL slice of life. No magic, no power, no time travel kind of thing.

An example of one that I love is called "Princess Jellyfish".

Plot:
Princess Jellyfish centers on Amamizukan, an apartment building in Tokyo, where the only tenants are otaku women, and where no men are allowed. While each character has her own particular fixation, the protagonist is Tsukimi Kurashita, whose love of jellyfish stems from memories of her deceased mother taking her to an aquarium and linking the lace-like tendrils of jellyfish to the dresses of princesses. Tsukimi hopes to become an illustrator and is an awkward girl terrified of social interaction, attractive people and the prospect of formal work.

The other tenants of Amamizukan are the same, being NEETs who refer to themselves as the "Sisterhood" (nuns). Tsukimi meets the stylish Kuranosuke Koibuchi, the illegitimate son of a politician, who cross-dresses to avoid the obligations of politics and to feel closer to his mother. Tsukimi keeps the secret of his masculinity from her man-hating housemates, even as she is troubled by the intimacy of having a man in her room at times.

Amamizukan's neighborhood is under threat of redevelopment, as opportunists aim to turn the quaint area into a more cosmopolitan region, with many of the buildings being demolished to make room for hotels and shopping centers. Although Amamizukan's tenants fear and loathe attractive people, they are helped by Kuranosuke who does not want to see Amamizukan destroyed.

So I wanted to see if there were any type of Slice of Life Anime that you all can recommend :korbie_blush:

Im also a sucker for funny ones as well!
Doesnt have to be Slice of Life

Like Nerima Daikon Brothers!

Plot:
The trio lives on a stage constructed in Hideki's daikon patch in the Nerima ward of Tokyo. They dream of building a concert dome on the site and performing their musical act to sold-out crowds. They must avoid both an overzealous policewoman who has caught on to their money-making schemes and the desires of powerful people who want to take over the daikon field. The characters are aided in their adventures by the show's director, Shinichi Watanabe, who injects himself (in the form of his Nabeshin character from Excel Saga) into the story as a rental shop owner.

The show parodies many famous people and institutions in Japan including Junichiro Koizumi and his political followers; Michael Jackson; the fortune teller Kazuko Hosoki, Star Wars, Host club entertainers among many others. Until recently, anime television series did not make overt jokes about the current news topics like homosexual love, consumer credit, or the success of Korean artists in Japan such as Bae Yong-joon. Nerima Daikon Brothers features overt sexual gags such as in the first episode where a male casting director fondles Ichiro's crotch as he sits there and moans.

PLEASE! I know that sounds bad, but it really is a fun and enjoyable anime lol

Sneasel
01-10-2023, 02:31 PM
Oh, I already heard good thing about Princess Jellyfish. I'll give it a try =)

My absolute favorite Slice of Life Anime is:

A Place further than the Universe

It is only 13 Episodes, so a snack anime =P

Mari Tamaki is already in her second year of high school when she realizes with horror that all her high school resolutions have so far remained unfulfilled. No spontaneous trips, no truancy, nothing at all! Again and again, she shies away at the last moment from doing something new, spontaneous, unknown, and thus always remains in familiar paths. One day, however, chance brings her together with Shirase Kobuchizawa, a girl who, for very personal reasons, has made up her mind to travel to Antarctica. She works ceaselessly on this project, despite the ridicule and all the demotivating comments of those around her. Mari is impressed by Shirase's strength of will and now sees her chance to finally overcome her own hesitation and make the big trip she has been planning for so long.

Nyanobyte
01-10-2023, 02:50 PM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Nana is hands down my favorite slice of life!
I believe there are around 47 episodes.

The series is centered on Nana Osaki and Nana Komatsu, two women who move to Tokyo at the age of 20, with the story focused on Nana O.'s pursuit for fame and Nana K.'s pursuit for romance, all while struggling to maintain their friendship.

For me this one just felt relatable. I wasn't that much older than the characters when I watched this, so a lot of topics or situations were able to hit close to home. It def caused a few tears to be shed! Worth the watch imo ^^

Bulbasaur
01-10-2023, 03:02 PM

Mari Tamaki is already in her second year of high school when she realizes with horror that all her high school resolutions have so far remained unfulfilled. No spontaneous trips, no truancy, nothing at all! Again and again, she shies away at the last moment from doing something new, spontaneous, unknown, and thus always remains in familiar paths. One day, however, chance brings her together with Shirase Kobuchizawa, a girl who, for very personal reasons, has made up her mind to travel to Antarctica. She works ceaselessly on this project, despite the ridicule and all the demotivating comments of those around her. Mari is impressed by Shirase's strength of will and now sees her chance to finally overcome her own hesitation and make the big trip she has been planning for so long.

Snake Anime? I guess you could call it a...Snackime?... I'll see myself out

Oh, but this sound cute! And 13 episodes sounds great in my book!
Is this something I can find on Hulu/Netflix or um, Crunchyroll?

- - - Updated - - -

The series is centered on Nana Osaki and Nana Komatsu, two women who move to Tokyo at the age of 20, with the story focused on Nana O.'s pursuit for fame and Nana K.'s pursuit for romance, all while struggling to maintain their friendship.

For me this one just felt relatable. I wasn't that much older than the characters when I watched this, so a lot of topics or situations were able to hit close to home. It def caused a few tears to be shed! Worth the watch imo ^^

Oh my, Im a baby when it comes to things that can make me cry lol
Hell, I cried so much watching Violet Evergarden...

Aw, this one sound so good as well! and 47 episodes is great too!

I might end up having to watch both real soon!

TsUNaMy WaVe
01-10-2023, 03:02 PM

100%. This anime is amazing, I can't count how many times I've watched it. So good... really everyone should give it a try!

As for my own recommendation, I have to go with

Sound! Euphonium

It's about a high school wind instruments band, and all of their hardships they go through in order to do better than in past years. It has a huge focus on interpersonal relationships which is what I personally like the best about it. The characters are great and their struggles feel real, and also the music is top notch. In addition, the animation studio is Kyoto Animation - so the show looks fantastic as well!
It has 2 seasons of 13 episodes each, one OVA, 2 movies and soon there will be more! (another movie and a third season iirc)

Bulbasaur
01-10-2023, 03:07 PM
Mkay, so I 100% will have to watch A Place further than the Universe then!

Oh my word, I love anime with music! And its so wonderful that they made 2 movies on this! :o_o:
This one sounds so cute as well!

So far, these three sound so perfect for me!

Sneasel
01-10-2023, 03:23 PM
It's on Crunchyroll.
Lol, Snack, not Snake. Like little tiny cause only 13 episodes. hahaha

Juna
01-10-2023, 03:49 PM
I second Nana, and third A place farther than the universe!! lol

I love Fruits Basket to death. I cried so many times reading the manga, and I'm so happy they finally did a proper anime adaption.
It's about a high school girl named Tohru Honda, who finds herself living with the mysterious Sohma family after her mother passes away. The Sohmas are cursed such that when they are hugged by someone of the opposite sex, they turn into one of the animals of the Chinese Zodiac. Tohru promises to keep their secret and, as she becomes more involved with the family, she learns about their individual struggles and helps them come to terms with their curse. This series is known for its strong character development and emotional themes, but it also has a lot of comedy and drama.

I also really like Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid! It's super funny, cute, and fluffy. :playful:
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is about a young programmer named Kobayashi who saves the life of a dragon named Tohru and as a result, Tohru decides to repay the favor by becoming her maid. But Tohru isn’t the only dragon to have found her way to the human world and soon, a group of dragons show up at Kobayashi's door, each with their own personalities and quirks. This show is a comedic slice of life with fantasy elements, featuring the daily lives of these dragons as they try to adapt to life in the human world.

Both MC's named Tohru, hopefully not confusing, lol.

Synth Salazzle
01-10-2023, 04:21 PM
I literally came here to recommend dragon maid. It's 10/10

Bulbasaur
01-10-2023, 05:21 PM
I second Nana, and third A place farther than the universe!! lol

I love Fruits Basket to death. I cried so many times reading the manga, and I'm so happy they finally did a proper anime adaption.
It's about a high school girl named Tohru Honda, who finds herself living with the mysterious Sohma family after her mother passes away. The Sohmas are cursed such that when they are hugged by someone of the opposite sex, they turn into one of the animals of the Chinese Zodiac. Tohru promises to keep their secret and, as she becomes more involved with the family, she learns about their individual struggles and helps them come to terms with their curse. This series is known for its strong character development and emotional themes, but it also has a lot of comedy and drama.

I also really like Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid! It's super funny, cute, and fluffy. :playful:
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is about a young programmer named Kobayashi who saves the life of a dragon named Tohru and as a result, Tohru decides to repay the favor by becoming her maid. But Tohru isn’t the only dragon to have found her way to the human world and soon, a group of dragons show up at Kobayashi's door, each with their own personalities and quirks. This show is a comedic slice of life with fantasy elements, featuring the daily lives of these dragons as they try to adapt to life in the human world.

Both MC's named Tohru, hopefully not confusing, lol.

Fruits Basket has actually been on my list for sooo long, but I admit that I have never even tried to watch it.
I think this is a sign to actually to watch it!

Oh, and mkay! That one seems pretty cute as well!
I think a friend of mine was trying to get me to watch this one as well lol
That one with the pink hat and ... horns? Seems familiar too!

Juna
01-10-2023, 10:19 PM
Fruits Basket has actually been on my list for sooo long, but I admit that I have never even tried to watch it.
I think this is a sign to actually to watch it!

Oh, and mkay! That one seems pretty cute as well!
I think a friend of mine was trying to get me to watch this one as well lol
That one with the pink hat and ... horns? Seems familiar too!

They are both completely different, so like if you want a breath of fresh air after a long day Dragon Maid is that! If you want the opposite and just wanna cry and gush and feel warm inside, Furuba is your best friend. You can watch the first adaption, but I recommend just the newer adaption. :)

DarkSkies
01-10-2023, 10:21 PM
I came here to suggest K-ON because I loved it, it was very funny! :tiger:

This anime is about a group of girls in High School that join to the Music Club in order for the group to not dissapear (they need a minimum member numbers). They have different personalities and their tutor is a polite woman (with a rockstar past lol) that struggles with them so the Club can succeed and the girls don't fail the Semester at same time xD

I highly recommend it :P

Aero
01-10-2023, 10:34 PM

Where does the Nana anime end? The manga went on indefinite hiatus! But definitely an incredibly touching and also sad story at times.

My first manga ever. I reread it almost yearly and I watched the new anime earlier this year during a tough time, and it was really like a light in my life.

Not sure if I have any big ones to add here that are well-acclaimed. I did enjoy the first season of Devil is a Part Timer (comedy), but I don't think it's as famous as the others here!

Bulbasaur
01-10-2023, 10:50 PM
They are both completely different, so like if you want a breath of fresh air after a long day Dragon Maid is that! If you want the opposite and just wanna cry and gush and feel warm inside, Furuba is your best friend. You can watch the first adaption, but I recommend just the newer adaption. :)

Ooooh I do like ones that will give me a good cry!
At times I think we need to have a nice cry at times lol
But I really am super interested in all of these! Im so excited!

- - - Updated - - -

I came here to suggest K-ON because I loved it, it was very funny! :tiger:

This anime is about a group of girls in High School that join to the Music Club in order for the group to not dissapear (they need a minimum member numbers). They have different personalities and their tutor is a polite woman (with a rockstar past lol) that struggles with them so the Club can succeed and the girls don't fail the Semester at same time xD

I highly recommend it :P

Music, slice of life AND its a fun/funny one! Heck yes! Adding to the list!
Oh my word! So many wonderful looking animes to watch! Im not sure what to watch first lol

Nyanobyte
01-10-2023, 11:10 PM
Where does the Nana anime end? The manga went on indefinite hiatus! But definitely an incredibly touching and also sad story at times.

The anime ends, i think, around volume 12 of the anime! I also think there is some variations towards the end but i don't totally recall. Oh nooo, indefinite hiatus, that sucks. I had always wondered if there would ever be more added to the anime to catch it up with the manga but it seems like its all done from both sides. :(

Bulbasaur
01-11-2023, 12:53 PM
The anime ends, i think, around volume 12 of the anime! I also think there is some variations towards the end but i don't totally recall. Oh nooo, indefinite hiatus, that sucks. I had always wondered if there would ever be more added to the anime to catch it up with the manga but it seems like its all done from both sides. :(

Oh, so is the ending something that the original creator didn't come up with?
Almost like FMA?

Not saying I wont watch it though! Just wondering if I should expect a tone shift in the middle of the anime