PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Reading Goals

Teakwood
01-03-2023, 10:44 PM
Do you have any reading goals set for 2023? I always find myself setting goals in Jan, typically about 50-60 books a year. I start out strong, and will finish 10-15 books before the end of Feb, however, I will then fall off and not read for 8 months, then try to cram another 40 books in before the end of the year.

So, do you have any goals set for 2023? Have you already made a headway on the books you want to read?

Does anybody else use Goodreads and want to become friends? I like to see what other people read, and love reading reviews haha.

What type of books do you enjoy? Want to give me any recommendations?

If you want to give me a follow ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), feel free :)

Bat
01-03-2023, 10:52 PM
I had a generation one iPad that I used to obsessively use as a reading tablet, until my friend ran the battery down to zero. Apparently there's a glitch in old iOS where the device gets stuck in a permanent boot loop when it's plugged in to charge, so I can't recover it. My goal for 2023 is to get a nice, cozy reading machine and grab some ebooks!

I quietly observed an AMA hosted by Dr. Lucy Maddox on the subject of psychology, and I'd love to read the book she published last December. It's called A Year to Change Your Mind: Ideas from the Therapy Room to Help You Live Better ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), and it sounds like a compelling piece of literature!

Teakwood
01-03-2023, 11:00 PM
I had a generation one iPad that I used to obsessively use as a reading tablet, until my friend ran the battery down to zero. Apparently there's a glitch in old iOS where the device gets stuck in a permanent boot loop when it's plugged in to charge, so I can't recover it. My goal for 2023 is to get a nice, cozy reading machine and grab some ebooks!

I quietly observed an AMA hosted by Dr. Lucy Maddox on the subject of psychology, and I'd love to read the book she published last December. It's called A Year to Change Your Mind: Ideas from the Therapy Room to Help You Live Better ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), and it sounds like a compelling piece of literature!

I would 100% recommend using an iPad (or similar device), and getting the kindle app. I also use Libby which is connected to my local public library, so I can typically rent any books that I want. Which is how I read so many lol.

kittyray
01-03-2023, 11:08 PM
I don't have any specific goals except for maybe read more books than I buy this year, which is something I have not done since about 2009, and am only feeling 50/50 on because I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with purchasing books aspirationally or even if you just like the idea of having them. But I also just...have so many I've wanted to read, just not gotten around to them.

Demetri
01-04-2023, 04:15 AM
I set a goal last year that I didn't accomplish, so this year I'm trying to go smaller. 30 minutes of reading a day & at least one book a month. It'll probably be a lot more if I can get the 30 minutes in every day. Currently, reading Atomic Habits by James Clear & I'm almost halfway through

Tyranitar
01-04-2023, 07:32 AM
Holy guacamole! 50-60 books a year?
That's crazy! I'm not a big reader, I had a good year where I read 1 book a month and I thought that was a lot.
But nowadays I'm not reading a lot, but I need to start reading about software testing, but I don't thin that counts.

Maybe I'll re-read Harry Potter books, they're amazing and very easy to read.

Nattiee
01-04-2023, 08:56 AM
Wow 50-60?!
Even 10-15 is amazing.

I used to be an avid reader. A book every couple of weeks. Somewhere along the lines I lost that. I've been meaning to get back into it but I havent prioritized the time to do so. I havent made any official resolutions to read more but if I can get through a couple this year, I'll be happy!

What do you like to read?

I_royalty_I
01-04-2023, 09:04 AM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

I read almost everyday before bed. Sometimes I’ll read for 10mins before I get too tired and pass out. Sometimes I’ll read for well over an hour if I’m at a spot where it’s particularly exciting. I usually read fiction - kind of sci-fi, adventures, action books. My goal for this year is to finish the series I’m on now and mix in some nonfiction to sort of continue my education and better my life.. as well as keep my “for fun” reading.

Ive got a few resources to read more about topics that will help me pass more certifications for work. I’ve got a few books about parenting so I can better educate myself on how to best care for my (now 2 day old) daughter. I’ve also got a series I’m reading that I’m on book 2 of 9 I believe, if I need a little escape.

Teakwood
01-04-2023, 09:16 AM
I don't have any specific goals except for maybe read more books than I buy this year, which is something I have not done since about 2009, and am only feeling 50/50 on because I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with purchasing books aspirationally or even if you just like the idea of having them. But I also just...have so many I've wanted to read, just not gotten around to them.

I'm just going to hide my book collection like there was nothing here HAHA

I set a goal last year that I didn't accomplish, so this year I'm trying to go smaller. 30 minutes of reading a day & at least one book a month. It'll probably be a lot more if I can get the 30 minutes in every day. Currently, reading Atomic Habits by James Clear & I'm almost halfway through

I've always been an avid reader, since I was a kid. Being able to take time out of your day and just read is a huge accomplishment, so don't fret if you can't meet your goals. <3. Let me know how that book is, James Clear has a few other books out that I've read, and I feel like they always have the same "tone" to them? Like the writing style doesn't change much.

Holy guacamole! 50-60 books a year?
That's crazy! I'm not a big reader, I had a good year where I read 1 book a month and I thought that was a lot.
But nowadays I'm not reading a lot, but I need to start reading about software testing, but I don't thin that counts.

Maybe I'll re-read Harry Potter books, they're amazing and very easy to read.

I always reread HP when I'm in a rut, and can't figure out which book to read next. Then I'm like, well, let's just finish the entire series again LOL.

Wow 50-60?!
Even 10-15 is amazing.

I used to be an avid reader. A book every couple of weeks. Somewhere along the lines I lost that. I've been meaning to get back into it but I havent prioritized the time to do so. I havent made any official resolutions to read more but if I can get through a couple this year, I'll be happy!

What do you like to read?

I honestly prefer fiction over non fiction. I like stories that are built up over a series of books, because I feel like that's when you get the most detail out of books. The Inheritance Trilogy, Lorien Legacies are two that come to mind. Absolutely beautifully written and always kept me going back for more.

I also love mystery and suspense. Agatha Christie will always have my heart when it comes to M&S.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

I read almost everyday before bed. Sometimes I’ll read for 10mins before I get too tired and pass out. Sometimes I’ll read for well over an hour if I’m at a spot where it’s particularly exciting. I usually read fiction - kind of sci-fi, adventures, action books. My goal for this year is to finish the series I’m on now and mix in some nonfiction to sort of continue my education and better my life.. as well as keep my “for fun” reading.

Ive got a few resources to read more about topics that will help me pass more certifications for work. I’ve got a few books about parenting so I can better educate myself on how to best care for my (now 2 day old) daughter. I’ve also got a series I’m reading that I’m on book 2 of 9 I believe, if I need a little escape.

First off Andrew, congrats on your newborn baby girl <3. It's so weird to see how we all grow up, and where we are at in life.

I have learned that I cannot read before bed anymore, as I will not be able to sleep. I just can't do it. I have to finish the book, or pass out, and neither one give me much sleep anyway lol.

Tyranitar
01-04-2023, 10:23 AM
That's amazing!!! Royalty wow!
I definitely need to start reading again, it's amazing and I think I prefer to read rather than be on tiktok, because I spend too much time there.
I'll try to follow your steps.

I read a lot of Chuck Palahniuk, I really love dark novels and his style is very easy to read.

kittyray
01-04-2023, 10:49 AM
Bleh, I am not a fan of the new goodreads UI. The old one was kind of clumsy in places, but I was used to it after years. Now it feels like it's still clumsy, just with a modern coat of paint and now is unfamiliar.
I haven't set a book count challenge in a few years, tho. Do y'all count re-reads in your counts? I don't just because I put audiobooks on as background noise all the time, so I'm not really engaging with things the same way.

Teakwood
01-04-2023, 11:01 AM
Bleh, I am not a fan of the new goodreads UI. The old one was kind of clumsy in places, but I was used to it after years. Now it feels like it's still clumsy, just with a modern coat of paint and now is unfamiliar.
I haven't set a book count challenge in a few years, tho. Do y'all count re-reads in your counts? I don't just because I put audiobooks on as background noise all the time, so I'm not really engaging with things the same way.

I stand with you on the Goodreads UI, it's shit. I just haven't found anything similar to it to even compare it to? Do you use something else? I like GR because I can follow my friends and then piggyback off of their read lists and see if it's something I have a common interest in.

I personally don't count rereads, because I reread HP about 4-5 times a year.

Sneasel
01-04-2023, 11:05 AM
I use an App called Leio for my reading progress.
It has no community with reviews and all like Goodreads has. But I don't mind, here I can track the time, the books and quotes I liked.

I don't have a specific goal, as any goals no matter what is pressure for me.
But I want to read everyday, that is my way.

kittyray
01-04-2023, 11:30 AM
I don't use any sort of alternative. Mostly I just grumble and my usage has faded out a bit –*I definitely don't have every single book logged on there, and I didn't even read that many.

Maybe a good alternative will pop up one of these days.

Nattiee
01-04-2023, 07:59 PM
I'm just going to hide my book collection like there was nothing here HAHA

I've always been an avid reader, since I was a kid. Being able to take time out of your day and just read is a huge accomplishment, so don't fret if you can't meet your goals. <3. Let me know how that book is, James Clear has a few other books out that I've read, and I feel like they always have the same "tone" to them? Like the writing style doesn't change much.

I always reread HP when I'm in a rut, and can't figure out which book to read next. Then I'm like, well, let's just finish the entire series again LOL.

I honestly prefer fiction over non fiction. I like stories that are built up over a series of books, because I feel like that's when you get the most detail out of books. The Inheritance Trilogy, Lorien Legacies are two that come to mind. Absolutely beautifully written and always kept me going back for more.

I also love mystery and suspense. Agatha Christie will always have my heart when it comes to M&S.

First off Andrew, congrats on your newborn baby girl <3. It's so weird to see how we all grow up, and where we are at in life.

I have learned that I cannot read before bed anymore, as I will not be able to sleep. I just can't do it. I have to finish the book, or pass out, and neither one give me much sleep anyway lol.

Thank you for the reccos! I’m gonna pop that trilogy on my list of books I want to read :) one day! Maybe one day this year if I can get my butt into gear lol

Teakwood
01-05-2023, 12:21 AM
Thank you for the reccos! I’m gonna pop that trilogy on my list of books I want to read :) one day! Maybe one day this year if I can get my butt into gear lol

Please do not watch the Eragon movie. I know this is commonly said, but the movie did not do the books any justice. The books are so emotional, heartwarming, and giving. They are definitely worth a read if you're into fantasy (think GoT).

phantasia
01-08-2023, 06:44 AM
Please do not watch the Eragon movie. I know this is commonly said, but the movie did not do the books any justice. The books are so emotional, heartwarming, and giving. They are definitely worth a read if you're into fantasy (think GoT).

I completely agree... I wish they would try a remake. I think the actor did not connect with the audience well to make them feel the emotion.
I read so little these days. I think if I can read one book this year that will be great. (besides all the books I will have to read for my studies)

Shazi
01-08-2023, 07:39 AM
i set a goodreads goal of 20 because it seems obtainable but i'm hoping to hit more. my tbr list is huuuuge.

elie
01-08-2023, 07:44 AM
My goal is 20 for the year, but I’ve already finished four books and am halfway through another one. Maybe I’ll hit 40 :)

kittyray
01-08-2023, 10:52 AM
My goal is 20 for the year, but I’ve already finished four books and am halfway through another one. Maybe I’ll hit 40 :)

Impressive! I have not read a single book this year, haven't even started one yet!

Lizerd
01-10-2023, 11:09 AM
Honestly I just want to read books that aren't smut LMFAO. I get that it's getting me reading again but I feel like I should branch out.

TBH I want to read a book a month at the minimum. Attainable goal. Depression took my love of books away and I want to try to fight to take it back. Romance, horror, slice of life, you name it, I want to just read again.

howdy
01-10-2023, 12:58 PM
I have such a long list of books to read that I just can't get the motivation to read. then of course I found a book from 1946 at an antique store called "a skeptic discovers mormonism" and of course I was way too curious and i've read most of it now. It's very unhinged. I can't wait to get out of this mormonism hyperfocus wormhole it's melting my brain. Esp because this book
straight up claims that all the bad things that have happened to Jews in the last 2000 years are a result of god punishing us for killing jesus?!?!?! LIKE WHAT!!
anyway so my goal is to actually read the non-brain melting stuff on my list. even just a few hours a week would be a win.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly I just want to read books that aren't smut LMFAO. I get that it's getting me reading again but I feel like I should branch out.

TBH I want to read a book a month at the minimum. Attainable goal. Depression took my love of books away and I want to try to fight to take it back. Romance, horror, slice of life, you name it, I want to just read again.

UMMMM maybe we should start an after dark book thread cuz I have been looking for some good fantasy smut

Nyanobyte
01-19-2023, 05:22 PM
I am so excited to read back through this read and find some good new recs. Up until recently my health was out of whack and i wasn't unable to concentrate long enough to be able to really get through an entire book. Now with some adjustments im back on track and recently finished the ACOTAR series and loved it! The books were easy to read and the story had me in a chokehold. So after that i went and grabbed a kindle to start making some downloads and try out some other series.

My main goal is to just simply finish a book per month while also reading at least 15-20 mins a day to keep things moving.
I've been mainly lurking in the Fantasy and Horror genres when finding new things to give a go.

radius
01-19-2023, 05:29 PM
I am so excited to read back through this read and find some good new recs. Up until recently my health was out of whack and i wasn't unable to concentrate long enough to be able to really get through an entire book. Now with some adjustments im back on track and recently finished the ACOTAR series and loved it! The books were easy to read and the story had me in a chokehold. So after that i went and grabbed a kindle to start making some downloads and try out some other series.

My main goal is to just simply finish a book per month while also reading at least 15-20 mins a day to keep things moving.
I've been mainly lurking in the Fantasy and Horror genres when finding new things to give a go.

If you haven't read the Throne of Glass series by SJM too you definitely should! In my opinion, it's better than ACOTAR. The beginning is a bit rough (but I thought ACOTAR was too), but it was her first series and she started it when she was a teenager.
I enjoyed These Hollow Vows similarly to ACOTAR, so if you'd like something by a different author with a similar feel, I'd pick that up! :)

Nyanobyte
01-19-2023, 07:40 PM
If you haven't read the Throne of Glass series by SJM too you definitely should! In my opinion, it's better than ACOTAR. The beginning is a bit rough (but I thought ACOTAR was too), but it was her first series and she started it when she was a teenager.
I enjoyed These Hollow Vows similarly to ACOTAR, so if you'd like something by a different author with a similar feel, I'd pick that up! :)

I haven't read Throne of Glass yet but have heard nothing but really good things! Really excited to check it out if you re saying its better than ACOTAR. Ugh, ok i know totally what you mean about the beginning being rough. So that shouldn't be much of an issue!

Oh wow, ok totally just looked up These Hollow Vows and honestly that is like.. right up my alley haha! I might have to start that this weekend, so thank you a ton for the recommendations!

Houndoom
01-19-2023, 08:09 PM
At this point of my adult life I feel like my goal is to read just one book in the year laksjdlkfj I'm so bad at sitting down and reading when there's so many shows to binge (which also lets me do something with my hands too) heh

Right now I'm hoping to start and finish Gideon the Ninth cause my friend lent me her hardcopy! It stares at me from my shelf and it's been a couple months already lmao

Menine
01-21-2023, 05:42 PM
I was so busy last year that my time to entertainment was very little, and I was mostly using my free time to watch anime. Ended the year with burnout and anxiety, but at least the animes were fun.

I want to be an avid reader again and read, at least, one book (not academic or work related. Those I've been reading a lot) per month. Not much, but def more than what I am doing now 🙃

transformers
02-14-2023, 07:25 PM
I barely read anything that wasn't for work last year, so this year I set the goal of a book a month. Last month was great, read my book, really enjoyed it. This month I'm trying to read ACOTAR and it's just.. I'm stuck. I never feel like reading and I can't tell if it's the book or the depression. Maybe a bit of both.

Anyway I love fantasy (especially clean fantasy but I can deal with smut if needed be), adventure and horror most. Really enjoy Jason Pargin's John Dies at the End series as well.