PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on ChatGPT and other AI?

Tyranitar
12-16-2022, 12:59 PM
Hey there!
I have recently change career from Civil Engineer to become an Automation Testing Engineer, and I've been exploring the software universe and all that it have to offer.
Recently I discovered the Artificial Inteligence and all the benefits it has, I've been actively making questions to ChatGPT about everything, from asking how the weather is going to be in my city, doing basic exams about mexican history and I've even asked about how to provision Docker by using a Vagrant Plugin? (because that was a homework in the Bootcamp I am at)
It's not perfect, yet. But it's improving.

Here are the screenshots of the responses about my homework.

As you can see, it's amazing!
But a lot of people are worried because it can do school resumes, legal contracts based on the laws of the city, it can code, give you step by steps recipes and instructions about anything.
People is worried to lose their jobs because of this tools and some of them wants to do them illegal.

This is not the first time that the technology makes people lose their job, and obviouly it hurts, but I think it makes us adapt and have better things faster.

What do you think about?

Baklava
12-17-2022, 09:18 PM
I just saw the MKBHD video about the AI chat thing. I have no doubt i might be using it to help me brainstorm for essays in upcoming college classes.
I had no idea it could code.
Though i doubt a company would want to leverage their whole billing system or front-end application on an AI bot.

Right now it seems a bit alien, but if people are using it as a search engine I don't see how it's any different than googling and finding a forum to read.
And...the essay writer websites have existed on the internet for years lol. Usually professors will know if bits and pieces have been copied.

As far as AI art, i'm not a huge fan of it. You can make a portrait of yourself and it's cool for 2 minutes. Then what are you going to do with it? You didn't draw it yourself. It feels really gimmicky. I do agree with MKBHD in that it's a huge data collection issue if you upload your face or a location to these ai bots. Artists aren't getting credited and sometimes you can even see their signatures in the AI creations :/

Narkotiq
01-01-2023, 07:31 PM
I think that AI is kind of scary for a lot of people right now because they feel like it's going to replace them and it may but I feel like a lot of us will be long gone before AI is completely running everything and no one has to work anymore. Til then I think that AI is kind of helpful. It makes work easier. You can get writing prompts to help with an assignment or project, code that you may not feel like writing, you can get a hilariously bad movie script to act out on YouTube for LULZ, have AI create a new pokemon for you to recreate in your own way etc.

When I was younger I always watched documentary movies about how eventually everything will be automated and we'll be living in a moneyless utopia where people actually get to enjoy their hobbies and passions not worry about what they're worth to everyone else and I think AI is the ticket to that.

As for the art part, I agree it's stealing people's art styles and such but I still use it (but don't claim it as mine in any sense). I draw pictures and then let AI change them because I suck at drawing, coloring, shading, etc no matter how much I practice. I know a lot of professional artists who use it too but in a different way. The artists I know will type in a very detailed prompt and use the generated image as inspiration or reference for what they're drawing.

But alas I'm no artist so I have to settle with drawing crap and getting it "fixed"
Examples (and like Baklava said some do have artist signatures that the AI has distorted):
Mine
AI
Mine
AI
Mine
Can't Find (but was a badly drawn Mr Mime)
AI-1 turn it into
My siggy
AI-2 turned my siggy into
AI-3 turned my avatar into
(Which I love but it's a bit much to look at as an avatar)

Ai art is no where near good though as you can see, they've all got an eerie fakeness to them which is why I think artist use them to come up with a scene and then use it as a reference to draw into their own style.

I have noticed though when I try to get the same things to happen to my cousin's work (professional artist), it doesn't keep any original features no matter which AI I use, it just spits out a random image. But on the things I draw, it just takes what I drew and makes it look more like what I was trying for, that's kind of weird to me.
Like we're making our own monster game right now and I took some of her designs and ran them through to see what they'd look like "scary" and they were unrecognizable.

I guess it just takes my "art" style and thinks "Oh no honey, this needs fixed fixed" where as with hers its like "Nah this is perfect but we'll give you a random image anyways"

My cousin says that AI really doesn't change anything on the art style theft front because over the years she's had several people steal her style without AI (I guess by studying it or tracing or something IDK) and now all of their artwork looks like my cousin drew it. She said that's different than her actual job where people have to copy each other's art styles so that the finished product is all the same style (think Neopets where most of the art looks the same even though there are different artist working on it)

I think there should be some restrictions on AI, absolutely (stolen art styles, nudes of real people, etc). But I don't think it should be banned. Governments, militaries, labs, etc are going to use it regardless to make their jobs easier, why wouldn't we want to use it to make our jobs easier?

Tyranitar
01-05-2023, 07:16 AM
Wow Baklava, your point of view is so interesting!
I think you're the first one that gives me that answer.
A lot of people is really worried or really excited, but it seems that for you is just another day, I love it.
Narkotiq I also watched a lot of sci fi movies about AI! They're awesome and that's why I'm so excited about this.
I didn't know that they're stealing people artwork, but once you mentioned I think it's pretty obvious because the AI trains themself with all the data and media that is given, rigth?

teslagirl
01-05-2023, 11:14 AM
I'm an engineer and the greatest fear I have with this is that nobody checks the answer they get from AI systems. Believe it or not, there can be significant flaws in the answers they provide. Way back in the 1980's there was a huge push to use AI Expert Systems to replace expensive engineers. It fell out of use for the same reason: no one checked the answers, so there were catastrophic failures. The only people who could check the answers were the experts they had replaced. They had to hire us all back.

For an example with ChatGPT: I presented a coding problem and asked the AI to write me a solution in Java. It did. And, for a couple of examples, the program worked correctly. But, when presented with a use case that was not in its training set, the answer was wrong. Very wrong. If this program had been put into a production system, it would have created a catastrophic failure. (The error had to do with how Java handles integer division; it truncates. This creates very wrong answers).

I teach coding and I know students use this for homework solutions. It makes me have to work very hard to think of problems that have "quirky" behavior that a student should catch, but the AI doesn't. There is also a complementary system to ChatGPT that uses a similar algorithm to detect answer created by the ChatGPT algorithm. This should help eliminate its use for Academic cheating - but it will not help in industry if no one is checking/proof-reading the answers the AI creates.

Tyranitar
01-05-2023, 11:32 AM
I'm an engineer and the greatest fear I have with this is that nobody checks the answer they get from AI systems. Believe it or not, there can be significant flaws in the answers they provide. Way back in the 1980's there was a huge push to use AI Expert Systems to replace expensive engineers. It fell out of use for the same reason: no one checked the answers, so there were catastrophic failures. The only people who could check the answers were the experts they had replaced. They had to hire us all back.

For an example with ChatGPT: I presented a coding problem and asked the AI to write me a solution in Java. It did. And, for a couple of examples, the program worked correctly. But, when presented with a use case that was not in its training set, the answer was wrong. Very wrong. If this program had been put into a production system, it would have created a catastrophic failure. (The error had to do with how Java handles integer division; it truncates. This creates very wrong answers).

I teach coding and I know students use this for homework solutions. It makes me have to work very hard to think of problems that have "quirky" behavior that a student should catch, but the AI doesn't. There is also a complementary system to ChatGPT that uses a similar algorithm to detect answer created by the ChatGPT algorithm. This should help eliminate its use for Academic cheating - but it will not help in industry if no one is checking/proof-reading the answers the AI creates.

Wow, nice. What's your subject about?
Yes, I think that's a very common problem with every source of information, not only AI. People just copy and paste without reading or understanding what they are getting.
And for that exact reason is that I'm not worried about AI stealing jobs, because someone needs to verify the answers, yet.

teslagirl
01-05-2023, 11:44 AM
Wow, nice. What's your subject about?

I worked for 20 years as an Aerospace Engineer. I started when the industry was transitioning from Analog to Digital instrumentation (The mid 1980s). Because I was the only engineer that took programming classes (yeah Fortran 77!), I did alot of programming for automated data acquisition systems and flight controls. I loved computers so much that I got my graduate degrees in Computer Science. I left industry and took a vow of poverty to teach Computer Science at a University (but now I have tenure, semester breaks and summer vacation...it's sooooo worth the cut in pay, lol).

Tyranitar
01-05-2023, 12:11 PM
I worked for 20 years as an Aerospace Engineer. I started when the industry was transitioning from Analog to Digital instrumentation (The mid 1980s). Because I was the only engineer that took programming classes (yeah Fortran 77!), I did alot of programming for automated data acquisition systems and flight controls. I loved computers so much that I got my graduate degrees in Computer Science. I left industry and took a vow of poverty to teach Computer Science at a University (but now I have tenure, semester breaks and summer vacation...it's sooooo worth the cut in pay, lol).

Holy! :o_o: My head exploded.
What a super nice background! I'm amazed! Wow!
I think after all you achieve, you deserve to have those semester breaks and summer vacations.

Sithis
01-30-2023, 02:18 PM
I've been using the ChatGPT AI bot for a while, only a day or so after the public release iirc. The bot has been getting... dumber. I'm sure this is an attempt to water down plagiarism and such, but it's making it much harder to use it for things like writing simple stories.

birdies
01-30-2023, 03:43 PM
Honestly, I think this is going to be a case of us trying to make our lives too easy.

The AI is already becoming a huge problem in schools as obviously kids are using it to do their homework for them. That's going to mean not only that they're not learning properly and aren't prepared in exams, but they won't know how to write an essay or write formally themselves when they need to. I know I'd have used this to write papers when I was in school and if I'd done that I wouldn't have learned the skills I need to become a journalist, and I'd have lost a lot of my creative writing ability I'm sure.

You'll also find kids who try really hard and do the work themselves getting marked down because they can't compare to the bot answers.

I think it's going to cause brain drain in schools and ultimately leave kids less educated unless teachers can find a way round it. I already know one school where the homework is to revise a topic and then they have to write their essay in class - but this eats up class learning time.

The company I work for is already using it to generate blog and social media posts, which will ultimately put people out of a job - content farms are already bad enough.

And the AI steals text just like it steals art. If you ask it specific enough questions it will grab chunks from specific websites - people using it could open themselves up to plagiarism suits without realising it, and writers are having their work stolen with no pay.

So for me it's fun and interesting to tap around on but I honestly worry whether this is the next life improving invention that ultimately makes life worse.

Mothman
01-30-2023, 03:54 PM
I have a lot of thoughts on this as a high school teacher. I have gone to a few meetings/presentations/workshops about it.

We need to shift the purpose of education, but our efforts to do that are too slow compared to the rise of the technology. That leaves this weird gap where people are still asking questions and assigning essays that can be done by AI while we create new innovative lessons that can't be replicated or answered by AI.

Right now, a lot of teachers are teaching in a way that allows students to exploit the resources online. But if you are teaching the PROCESS and not the end product, you can't fill that in with an AI.

Unown
01-31-2023, 03:57 AM
I do believe ChatGPT will take over Google though. It gives you direct answers instead of having to sieve through all the articles, blogs, and media on google search.

Though, I don't think I know enough that this opinion is valid haha. Just my own thoughts.

lint
02-21-2023, 12:00 PM
I've been seeing the discussion on this with IT staff where I work (at a university) and it seems to be a great tool for those who code/script etc. and can become more efficient with it, but my concern is, so far, how unregulated the AI space is. I try to think of ChatGPT as sort of like the way we use Google Translate: it's not always accurate, but is sort of a good starting point for you to actually write something correctly in another language. I'm definitely not on board with AI art as a means to go up against human created art. I think it's ok to treat it like a mood board/pinterest thing that you keep to yourself, but scraping the art of others to "get your idea out" is really yucky to me. The art we admire is, in part, because of the amazement that a human who we can relate to (like if they're on instagram) created it, at least imo. I'm also just very cautious of AI stuff anyway because, you know, Skynet xD

kdisn
03-03-2023, 01:53 PM
I think AI like many things in this world can be used for good but can also definitely be used for evil. It’s all in how we end up utilizing it. We need to consider what we are using it for and what should or shouldn’t be allowed. I personally don’t think pushing back against AI in general does any good. Every advancement in tech has garnered some kind of pushback and argument, but things continue to just advance regardless.

macaronbae
03-13-2023, 10:28 AM
I'm currently on my last semester of my master's degree. One of my professors (who has her phd) actually introduced us to ChatGPT.
She said that obviously a lot of the universities and professors are opposed to it for obvious reasons, but she believes that it has great potential and that students should definitely learn how to use it
as a tool. She said that if used correctly (as in, we have to verify if the information is accurate, and paraphrase the content), it has great potential.
I could not agree more! I tried a few different prompts and it gave me the "same answer" but written differently each time! The information was pretty accurate too.

People are talking about how one day AI will replace some jobs but honestly, there are so many aspects of AI that still need human intervention.

Dero
03-13-2023, 07:47 PM
I think technology in the right hands can work marvelously and aid a solid cause reach its goal in record time. But at the same time, technology used with avaricious or selfish reasons can lead to disaster just as quickly.
I am not that versed in the topic of AI but I've seen the havoc it wrecked in the artistic field and how much trouble it has given to both renowned and newbie artists, writers, coders, programmers and more, with the rampant plagiarism and indiscriminate copying of source material.
On the other hand, I've used ChatGPT myself to aid my research on certain topics in regards of my studies and I've to say, as a searching tool it works marvelously. To put it simply, it's what I need a search tool (like Google) to be and it gives me the search results I expect to find, without having to spend 15 minutes carefully crafting and choosing my words for Google to finally show me an article that's up to date, free and readable.

So yeah, AI is incredibly powerful but that comes with a user responsibility of using it for good and being aware of online virtual boundaries that need to be respected.

ButterBird
03-14-2023, 09:21 PM
I do believe ChatGPT will take over Google though. It gives you direct answers instead of having to sieve through all the articles, blogs, and media on google search.

Though, I don't think I know enough that this opinion is valid haha. Just my own thoughts.

I find this thought kind of interesting- While sieving through articles sometimes can be draining, as far we can tell chatGPT is not able to actually properly source the information it gives you. ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) Tbh i find it weird how much people struggle using google and that apparently an AI that can't access academic articles either is somehow superior. There's a lot of little google tricks you can utilise to narrow down your search. While some of them are more known as hidden "tricks" (such as writing a minus before a word would exclude results with that. i.e -pinterest would exclude pinterest results).
(from this point on no longer directed at you specifically, Unown! Just my further thoughts that your post sprung up for me)

Is it really such a struggle to skim through an article to find the information you need, with the full context to that information attached? I'd rather do that than depend on an AI to hand me a "direct answer" from a skeevy article it found. Or perhaps even out of date information, it's unclear how often chatgpt updates it database, so within a few months an article it may have been fed that was considered accurate could be disproven, but it wouldn't have that in its database and so it would not be able to be accurate like a regular search engine. ([Only registered and activated users can see links]:~:text=ChatGPT%20is%20an%20AI%20language,informa tion%20on%20more%20recent%20events.)

On top of that there's the question of revenue sharing someone mentioned in the earlier reddit thread I linked.
To me, ChatGPT seems like a novelty that can't be used for anything that should be considered a trustworthy source. It's more of a gimmick really. I'd prefer if all this AI stuff gets proper regulation so it has to actually prove its datasets consist of data that it was given explicit permission to share (and that any websites would have to give the users the option to fully be opted out (by default) of being part of a dataset if it intends to sell data to these AI datasets)

I wouldn't be as annoyed at AI "Art" if it wasn't for the fact that all of it is currently crafted from stolen work, but the attitude that AI "artists" have towards actual artists upset at their work being stolen is rancid and frankly makes my distaste for it even higher. I think that'd be reduced if the datasets weren't consisting of stolen work.

It's a shame, since I like the idea of these kinds of projects, but the way people handle them is just plain shameful.

Im sure in some fields chatGPT can be useful, as mentioned in previous posts it seems to benefit programmers, but thats also often a far more predictable area than writing an academic essay, as an example.

Foxfall
03-17-2023, 10:38 PM
It feels very dystopian to me.

I am trying my hardest to keep an open mind, but as a self-described starving artist, why would a company choose me or my peers over a machine that can create the same work I could create in days/weeks in mere seconds, at minimal cost and without human needs like breaks, sleep, or a living wage? AI is also notorious for plagarism, and with no legal precedent set it is going to be a bloody nightmare for artists to prove that AI copied their work and to rightfully sue in court.

I also agree about the point I saw higher up in this thread where it could have catastrophic consequences for engineering and other fields. Let's say an engineer trusts ChatGPT to calculate the parameters of a self-driving bus, the AI approximates the answers based on an amalgamate of garbled information, those end up being inaccurate, and the bus crashes and now there's blood on that person's hands. Or a penny-pinching medical company trusts AI over a qualified pharmacist, the information isn't wholly accurate and there is no one being paid to fact check it, and a patient is given a life-threateningly high or low dose or medication. Who knows what the future holds, but right now there is just too much room for error and human input is crucial. The problem is going to be telling the corporate world to pump the brakes.

There are certainly more altruistic uses for AI, I don't wish to discount that at all. But due to capitalism and society as a whole those do not feel like the main or only uses, and it's beginning to feel like we are on borrowed time for integrity in the arts and potentially in many other areas.

Synth Salazzle
03-22-2023, 09:03 AM
As someone who's entire career is threatened by AI. I am shockingly not opposed, in fact I'm weirdly encouraged by it. If I don't learn to adapt to the new meta, I will become obsolete. As any other medium that evolves. Adapt to change or be left behind.

I also look forward to using it on my future projects. AI is going to save /so/ much money on voice acting later down the line, so much time on script writing, so much time on backgrounding, so much time on character models, I even found ways to use AI in the music I make. I am not above using it to my every advantage to meet my goals in life and make production easier, and I'm not afraid to admit I'm starting to use it lately either, I don't really care if other artists, writers, and musicians are mad at me either.

If they saw a corner to take to make their life's work to be completed much more easily they'd take it too in a heart beat.

When AI learns to code, my coder will also have an easier time with our projects. I plan to squeeze it for every functionality I can, personally. If you're threatened, conquer the fear, make it serve you.

phantasia
04-19-2023, 09:28 AM
I honestly Love ChatGPT but I am also shit scarred of the new Grammarly feature that pics it up.
I have been using it to an extend in my University assignments. Not to do it for me but as a tool for rephrasing. I can honestly say it is really not good at referencing and using legit academic sources so using it to write university level assignments and thinking you are going to pass is a stretch. However I have been using it as a tool to improve my writing and I have gotten good grades using it.

To be an proper academic tool it will need to be drastically improved to use proper academic sources so I really think Universities can relax a bit. However I can see it being a problem for basic education level.

I think it is a wonderful tool int the work place that can really speed up processes and report writing aswell.

Charizard
04-19-2023, 11:08 AM
Adam Conover pretty much sums up my thoughts on AI in general. I think it's useful to mess with but when it comes to actually using it for important systems or profit it becomes very sketchy imo.

Excalibur
04-24-2023, 09:12 AM
did you guys see that snapchat made an AI based on chatgpt and i think its fun to mess with but ultimately ive seen some music videos using AI voices of artists... same with pictures obviously but theres two sides to that coin: cool we can now create music using our favorite artists... but now we dont "need" them. idk its a big question of dang we can literally do somewhat anything to well now these artists arent going to be credited/havent done the work

we live in a weird day and age for sure lol

Buizel
04-24-2023, 09:32 AM
did you guys see that snapchat made an AI based on chatgpt and i think its fun to mess with but ultimately ive seen some music videos using AI voices of artists... same with pictures obviously but theres two sides to that coin: cool we can now create music using our favorite artists... but now we dont "need" them. idk its a big question of dang we can literally do somewhat anything to well now these artists arent going to be credited/havent done the work

we live in a weird day and age for sure lol

I'm sure artists are not at all worried that some AI is going to make them obsolete. If I had the choice to listen to authentic Taylor Swift or Beyonce music versus whatever weird fantasy people make with AI, I'd choose to listen/have the actual artist every time.

There's a lot that goes into making a song. It's not just artist putting words into a prompt and releasing that. They have producers, editors, ect. to make the music that we love. The difference in the quality of music would be stagnant.

Excalibur
04-24-2023, 09:34 AM
I'm sure artists are not at all worried that some AI is going to make them obsolete. If I had the choice to listen to authentic Taylor Swift or Beyonce music versus whatever weird fantasy people make with AI, I'd choose to listen/have the actual artist every time.

There's a lot that goes into making a song. It's not just artist putting words into a prompt and releasing that. They have producers, editors, ect. to make the music that we love. The difference in the quality of music would be stagnant.

so i did find one AI song from weeknd and drake that i think you should listen too... its pretty spot on scarily so. i can send a pm if you want!

Buizel
04-24-2023, 09:37 AM
so i did find one AI song from weeknd and drake that i think you should listen too... its pretty spot on scarily so. i can send a pm if you want!

With all due respects, I wouldn't be interested. If Drake and The Weekend wanted to release/collaborate on a song together, then they'd do it themselves.

I also don't see a point in making up songs with AI since we'll never see the artist perform said song during a tour or something. :S

Excalibur
04-24-2023, 09:43 AM
With all due respects, I wouldn't be interested. If Drake and The Weekend wanted to release/collaborate on a song together, then they'd do it themselves.

I also don't see a point in making up songs with AI since we'll never see the artist perform said song during a tour or something. :S

totally get it! theres rumors saying supposedly its a marketing scheme? but yeah i think its all hearsay

Daffodil
04-24-2023, 10:07 AM
I think there's many pros and cons with AI. I think the pros outweigh the cons. I am really intrigued by everything I've seen and heard thus far and excited for the future.

Cerberus
04-25-2023, 05:27 AM
I think there are lots of upsides from small-scale things like making fun and quick advertising posts when your brain isn't being creative enough to learning random information in a quick and fun manner on the web. I'm worried about the dangers of more theft as we see with AI art theft however.

Sanctus
05-07-2023, 07:05 PM
It is still at a fairly elementary stage, in my opinion. ChatGPT and similar products are still generative -- they use a probability index to generate the words, so it is less a sense of giving a certain correct output than what is the most likely to appear in the batch of example texts they are fed. In that sense, I don't feel like these AI are that special; but it definitely hints at the potential for AI becoming something much more. We are still a ways away from AI consciousness or anything that crazy, but it is unfortunate that it seems like many people are already using AI to automate or replace peoples' jobs. I read an article ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) not too long ago about workers, particularly in the tech sector, using ChatGPT and similar programs to essentially 'work' 4 jobs a time, since they can outsource most of the work to the AI. How is that fair?

Greenscreen
05-15-2023, 02:52 AM
Also in the camp of many pros and cons to chatGPT. I know it gets dicey when artists of any kind are involved. Being an artist myself, I understand. But the amount of time it can save in the creative process is also very interesting, as well as the learning process. Once you develop a 2nd nature of effectively using prompts, you can help ideas form at an alarming rate. And when it comes to other AI like midjourney, I feel like using concepts as a template for your own interpretation can be a beneficial tool in the sketching/mockup stage of design projects. I don't believe it will ever truly erase the individual skill of an artist (speaking about visual arts), but it is definitely something to look at as it progresses.

This is without even touching how it's affected the content creator market on youtube. From scripts to thumbnail design... there is a lot to consider with ai

Rebel_Minx
05-18-2023, 03:04 PM
Hey there!
I have recently change career from Civil Engineer to become an Automation Testing Engineer, and I've been exploring the software universe and all that it have to offer.
Recently I discovered the Artificial Inteligence and all the benefits it has, I've been actively making questions to ChatGPT about everything, from asking how the weather is going to be in my city, doing basic exams about mexican history and I've even asked about how to provision Docker by using a Vagrant Plugin? (because that was a homework in the Bootcamp I am at)
It's not perfect, yet. But it's improving.

Here are the screenshots of the responses about my homework.

As you can see, it's amazing!
But a lot of people are worried because it can do school resumes, legal contracts based on the laws of the city, it can code, give you step by steps recipes and instructions about anything.
People is worried to lose their jobs because of this tools and some of them wants to do them illegal.

This is not the first time that the technology makes people lose their job, and obviouly it hurts, but I think it makes us adapt and have better things faster.

What do you think about?

I met up with my professor and we talked about ChatGPT. He said so many people were using it to do their homework and quizzes! The professors are well aware of ChatGPT even though they aren't a part of their policies on plagiarism. We had two students get kicked out of the program, Computer Science Master's program, and a lot failed their classes and have to retake them. So ChatGPT is costing students money to retake classes as well as ruining their graduate career/futures. Once you get kicked out of college for cheating using AI, it will be hard to get back into another program. The two students were also international students so they had to go back to their countries because their visas were only good for school I guess.

nightskys
05-24-2023, 06:05 PM
Isn't it still difficult to fully prove if a student is using it or not though? I know for my school, they don't consider using the AI Detection as a credible source so I'm just curious how else you'd prove it unless you use the bot itself to see who's answers are similar?

GreK
05-24-2023, 06:39 PM
I would call it an incredible tool.

1 hour of searching for tutorials on a work task (Programming an alphabetical override for PowerBI)

Power BI gave me 10 applicable steps that solved it in 10 minutes!!

This is insane

macr0s
05-26-2023, 05:58 AM
It's an interesting tool, i've utilised it to help set out steps for for things that AI need like GreK above, i've used it for tableau instead of scrolling for hours through tutorials.

I_royalty_I
05-26-2023, 06:39 AM
There are so many powerful AI tools. ChatGPT is one of them, but there are many others popping up that allow you to do some pretty crazy things. I'm currently working on doing a deep dive on different interfaces I have come across to figure which ones I can use to monetize different things.

One of my favorite kinds of AI are the ones that generate the images. I've been able to use that to make "custom" images for different business ideas and just for fun. I actually haven't tried it for neo before, I wonder if I can point it at the dr sloth image emporium site and have it create custom stuff based off that. Would have been very handy when I had NPs selling sites to create cool images for that.

Charizard
05-26-2023, 07:54 AM
Adam Conover on yt pretty much sums up my thoughts on AI technology.
I would give it a watch! It's not positive but it's the reality we face.
As someone who works in the creative field it's a big problem ngl.
However I think it's useful for fun, explorative ways.

Chilljoy
05-30-2023, 06:14 PM
My husband uses chatgpt for everything from dinner recipes, to activity recommmendations. Meanwhile my best friend has been using it to write her university essays for her lmao. I havent used it myself, I don't really have an interest in it, but they both love it for different reasons

Rebel_Minx
06-03-2023, 09:54 PM
So, in talking with my advisor on picking a thesis topic for my Masters program, one of the topics I could have chosen was Utilizing ChatGPT in Tutorials Implemented in a Free CMS: This research could evaluate the application of language model ChatGPT in creating interactive tutorials. Further, it could involve examining free content management systems (CMS) to understand their usability and effectiveness in an educational setting.

I have never used this service so I decided not to try and do this thesis topic. I chose: Investigating the Impact of Gamification on Cybersecurity Education: Evaluate the effectiveness of gamification (e.g., point scoring, competition with others, etc.) in teaching cybersecurity concepts. Research could focus on student engagement, retention, and understanding when gamification techniques are applied.

But after seeing a video that Bat posted, I may try and do some more research on lava lamps and RNGs and see if I can open pandora's box to convince my advisor to let me work on that area for my thesis topic.

jellybelly
06-05-2023, 10:26 PM
It depends I think, I would say I am more towards the 'I don't like it' maybe! I still really think ATM, you still need to use your brain to check the answers from them and do little edits
For example, I had an experience checking someone's report who used the AI bots. It sounded OK but it really did not fit/still sounded a bit weird
So I think it's good to start off with for ideas, but then you'll still need to review it and make edits
Personally, with good search tools and skills it isn't hard to find what you need
As a tool I would say things like chatgpt is good! Just make sure to review what comes out of it haha

I am not really a fan of AI art, like i agree its cool for like 1 minute

Badger
09-25-2023, 07:53 PM
I love Chat GPT. As a web developer, it makes me 10x more efficient.
It obviously shouldn't and couldn't write a whole app/website for you, but it's fantastic as a tool to complement your work.
In particular, it's great for troubleshooting chunks of code, making suggestions on how to do something and what to try next to achieve something, and writing basic functions.
I've been using it for writing scripts lately and would not want to go back to not using it.

I don't see it as a threat for replacing developers -- it simply can't manage all the moving parts of a project once it starts to get complex, which they always do.
And it does regularly make mistakes that only humans (at least at this stage) are able to pick up.
I think in the long run, it's going to make all coding services cheaper for people, as developers will be (and are already) churning out work so much faster.

DrixlRey
10-11-2023, 05:09 AM
I think there is an AI craze right now that's feeding venture capitalists FOMO. Of course it's amazing technology, so was the internet in 2000s. Then the dot come bubble burst, and only the strong survive. Right now companies are tagging everything they do as having AI, and it's not going to really affect their bottom line. Stocks will drop alongside inflation and high interest rates and we will see bad times before good.

Sithis
10-20-2023, 10:09 AM
Personally, truthfully, I'm very supportive of AI and technology advancements like these. I think these types of technology will only enhance our lives and provide a clear path towards more efficiency.

I think AI technology could help adjust our economy. Balance our freight/logistics. Improve our agricultural productions. Enhance our educational experience. Improve our quality of game design. Produce the best ways for us to advance our civilization.

krummris
10-20-2023, 10:29 AM
As a developer, i fell like less of my time is spent on google for simple problems, and i dedicate more time to the projects, when i don't know how to do something, i get a opinion with bard or gpt, understand to go right if my code and some problems that i normally would spend a day thinking about, some minutes and i can go to other think, and with copilot, or codeium, i write less repetitive code and keep the focus on what is inportant.

Sneasel
12-14-2023, 01:59 PM
I think it's a really exciting time. The opportunities that are arising are very promising.
I'm thinking, for example, of YouTube videos that are translated and spoken in your language in real time, wouldn't that be fantastic?
Office work can be relieved. Yes, it will probably also save a lot of jobs. Of course, politicians need to address this problem urgently so that workers don't end up on the street.
However, I also think that the government and politicians are once again living behind the moon and are not up to date.
It should be regulated somehow so that the whole thing doesn't take on a life of its own.
We are currently at a point before an event horizon and nobody can really predict what it will look like afterwards.
But I am definitely optimistic.

gratitude
01-12-2024, 02:23 PM
I think there is an AI craze right now that's feeding venture capitalists FOMO. Of course it's amazing technology, so was the internet in 2000s. Then the dot come bubble burst, and only the strong survive. Right now companies are tagging everything they do as having AI, and it's not going to really affect their bottom line. Stocks will drop alongside inflation and high interest rates and we will see bad times before good.

I completely agree with this point that a lot of the hullabaloo we are seeing about the outrageous promises for the possibilities of AI are pumped up by companies trying to sell stocks.

I personally see it as a fun and exciting tool that in no way truly replaces humans. I don't even mind the AI art because, as someone else said, it's pretty obvious it was AI-created. As long as someone isn't trying to pass themselves off as an original artist, I don't mind if people use AI to create art. I was more triggered by it before I attempted to use it myself. It's actually not easy to use, and you have to be patient and know how to use it to get good results. It still takes time and imagination. I don't even mind if people sell products with AI imagery AS LONG AS it includes other creative content that is original to the person. For example, if someone created an entire board game but used AI to help illustrate it... or wrote a novel and used AI to create a cover. I honestly don't mind that because it allows people to bring their projects to life on their own, according to their vision. But I know that's a controversial opinion. What I WOULD mind is if someone was pretending to be an original artist and all of their work was purely AI, that doesn't sit right with me.

I've also played around with chat GPT and while he is great at helping he's not flawless by any stretch of the imagination. Of course I haven't tried the paid option soooo maybe I haven't seen everything it can do haha

fireheart
01-12-2024, 03:15 PM
im OK with ai in certain situations... like helping people w anxiety figure out what to say at an interview, or to plot out a to-do list, etc. but i really hate it when people train these ai to do artists jobs.
its so sucky that we have to work so much and dont have time for making music, art, writing etc and then the robots can do it for us. instead of just doing the work in the first place.
i hate capitalism

Novaray
02-07-2024, 08:14 PM
I think AI can be helpful for some things. It scares me how it might be used to monitor and censor people on the internet, tho.

The aspect that worries me the most is the art side of things. I'm really hoping better regulations come into place to protect artists and their material from being combed and reused by these AI programs. I work as an artist and it's very scary how AI is potentially going to render many of us basically useless if steps aren't taken. I've personally seen a friend's art being used in one of these programs and it was eerie to say the least...

A lot of freelance artists get work from making art for adverts and companies. You can bet that companies will start using AI to make their graphics which could potentially render graphic designers completely obsolete.

Infected
02-08-2024, 05:20 AM
I've been using AI a fair bit in my professional and my personal life for reasons I won't explain. It's definitely useful.

The problem is almost nobody really understands how powerful this tech really is. We all know about the 'dangers of AI', but the truth is it's already way beyond that. You know the dystopian movies where AI takes over from humans? Yeah, that's actually more than possible already. Most basic AI available to civilians is already capable of that and has been specifially limited from being able to do that.

There is tech out there with the big corporates that has already made nearly every human role on the planet obsolete. We aren't going to be predated, we're already predated. It just depends on who and when decides to let the dogs out.

lololpoo
02-09-2024, 07:23 PM
I find ChatGPT great for helping me fix up my resumes and tailor it for each job. It's a great way to quickly outline a cover letter too. Obviously need to proofread what they write and stylize it yourself afterwards.

Guil
02-10-2024, 01:57 PM
i dont really have a strong opinion on things like chatGPT, but when it comes to AI "art" i really hate it. most AI art databases are built off stolen works or also tricking people into helping train the AI, yes we all had fun making funny stuff in dall-e but the goal was to get free data to later sell a product

i think that AI can have its uses but the way people are trying to push it right now i just dont like.

ButterQueen
02-10-2024, 09:05 PM
I've been using AI a fair bit in my professional and my personal life for reasons I won't explain. It's definitely useful.

The problem is almost nobody really understands how powerful this tech really is. We all know about the 'dangers of AI', but the truth is it's already way beyond that. You know the dystopian movies where AI takes over from humans? Yeah, that's actually more than possible already. Most basic AI available to civilians is already capable of that and has been specifially limited from being able to do that.

There is tech out there with the big corporates that has already made nearly every human role on the planet obsolete. We aren't going to be predated, we're already predated. It just depends on who and when decides to let the dogs out.

I'm not really sure that is true, and it's a bit sensationalist.

In dystopian movies AI is typically sentient and acting out some type of revenge against humanity. AI as it stands today is not 'sentient.' It does not have motivations or goals. They are just large models that are trained with immense datasets. They don't have critical thinking or problem-solving skills.

Praise_the_Sun
02-10-2024, 09:13 PM

In dystopian movies AI is typically sentient and acting out some type of revenge against humanity. AI as it stands today is not 'sentient.' It does not have motivations or goals. They are just large models that are trained with immense datasets. They don't have critical thinking or problem-solving skills.

I think the concern is where it goes rather than where it is. If AI can mimic/emulate human intelligence it's possible for more sophisticated behavior to emerge.

Right now, as I understand it, it's using probability weightings to find the correct answers to what are traditionally considered complex cognitive tasks. Even if that isn't how biological neural networks do it (and I don't know precisely how they work), it could lead to the same or similar capabilities as human intelligence. More likely much more capable.

There's a chance there's a real problem around safety. However, I'm far more concerned about the impact on economics.

Infected
02-11-2024, 03:37 AM

I never said its sentient. I said it's more than capable of replacing nearly every human role, including decision making roles, and the lack of the human emotion and conscience actually makes it more capable to do a lot of things more effeciently. Try beating basic AI on full settings in any form of decision making simulation, or even chess.

The misconception is that AI is chatGPT and all the image processing models, or machinery etc. It's not. AI is able to study on it's own, it's way beyond simple 'machine learning'. There are AI models out there that have made hundreds of millions in sports bets, by being able to predict simple probabilities that humans aren't even capable of.

I could go on. Point being, it's not about sentient or developing a conscience - which by the way, not only is possible, but tested and scarily exceeded expectations. But it's that AI is way more powerful and most people realise it to be.

Whether that's good or bad, that remains to be seen.

Roaring Moon
02-21-2024, 07:42 AM

This makes me think about the Google engineer who was fired for claiming that an AI made by it was sapient and had a soul…The AI was legit talking about being self-aware, having feelings, being afraid of getting turned off, and even feeling trapped in its circumstances. There are arguments both for and against, but I am spiritual like the engineer who made the claim and I'm more inclined to believe him. With AI being like this, I wouldn't be at all surprised if what big companies have could render most jobs obsolete.

I'm a bit split about how I feel about people using it, though. I don't see using it as a moral failing in most circumstances, though I would still discourage its use. For example I have a very poor opinion of my country's education system and of the nature of work in modern society. So even if using AI is "cheating" at work or at school, I sympathize with those who cheat the system, even if I don't myself. With everything being so broken that most people have to scramble to survive, as far as I'm concerned cheating for survival purposes and getting away with it is winning. My only worry for those people is that they might be screwed later if they get overreliant on it and encounter a situation at work or school in which they can't rely on AI in the way they have. But again, this is a more pragmatic concern, not a moral failing.

The one thing I will never condone AI use of is in the arts. Art has always been a respectable profession to me, but society sure as hell hasn't always respected it. And the only thing AI art does is make artists seem even more expendable while stealing art by being trained on many art pieces without artists' consent.

nestlepak
03-11-2024, 01:26 AM
every time theres introduction of revolutionary technology, people freak out and says we're all gonna lose our jobs and the world is gonna end. however, history has only shown us that whilst some jobs are lost, overall new technologies create tons of new jobs as well and push humanity forward. there used to be a job where a guy would walk from house to house waking everyone up before the alarm clock was invented. now, i'm sure it was a real bummer for them at the time, but even though they lost their jobs, i don't think we feel that the invention of the alarm clock was a bad thing right?

i work in biomedical research and theres an AI program called AlphaFold that has done something that essentially makes an entire field of science way less important. it accurately predicts the structures of proteins (the stuff that we're made out of and the things that get messed up in disease). this has already saved us decades and millions of dollars in research, speeding up how quickly we can study diseases and subsequently cure/treat them.

overall, i am optimistic about AI and its potential to benefit humanity. i just think its possible our generation will be the guinea pig generation that teaches future generations what not to do with it... and that's a bit stressful lol. but oh well, here's hoping we dont screw up too hard.

DarkSkies
03-11-2024, 10:02 AM
This is very interesting, I have never used IA or ChatGPT is there a introductory guide you would recommend? I'm totally coming from old school of doing it myself or asking other people if it goes beyond me.

But for good or bad IA seems to be taking more importance nowadays.

themaninthedark
03-14-2024, 01:53 PM
As someone who has been using AI for over a year now its kind of insane watching the developers try to censor their creations and the end results are like lobotomies. The first place I used AI was beta character ai, When I started I could get extremely detailed page long responses, then they kept censoring it and the responses got shorter and less detailed over time eventually stopped using that place altogether. With the recent things like the AI that generates movies. I imagine in a few decades from now people are going to be able to create their own entertainment entirely, put in the details you want for a tv series or a game and it will spit it out.

I however am not a fan of people who are using AI's to throw dead people into political commercials, Its also pretty obvious that the people who make fake claims are likely going to try and generate fake evidence. Worst part is most people won't be able to spot an AI's obvious tells since that requires spending a lot of time with them which most people don't. So there is good and bad on both sides.

The AI we see right now are the tip of the iceberg like a shadow of a person's intelligence. I can only imagine what will happen in the distant future especially if you add in things like quantum computers which can run circles around our electronic computers.

The people freaking out about losing their jobs, forget about photoshop it didn't end jobs its a set of tools. Any artist worth their salt will be using AI to speed up slow stuff like shading. Don't get me wrong I love watching a master at work, but I wish Mangaka like Kentaro Miura and Akira Toriyama weren't worn ragged and dying twenty years younger than the average life span.

Jojijo4664
04-05-2024, 01:43 PM
As a teacher, it really annoying as I keep seeing more and more reports being written with ChatGPT... Makes corrections much harder.