PDA

View Full Version : On the Legalization of Marijuana

thequeen
04-18-2012, 11:21 PM
I'm curious to see opinions (mainly the people that are against legalizing it....what compelling arguments could you make? :P)

personally, I think legalizing marijuana will not only benefit mankind overall, but will turn the tide on the war on drugs. It's also been shown to be effective in reducing crime rate and black markets and such in many European countries (such as Switzerland, and the Netherlands where they actually have cannabis "coffeeshops" where you can go to buy/smoke pot) which have decriminalized the use and possession of the plant.

Whatya think ? :)

"Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction." - Bob Marley

John
04-18-2012, 11:26 PM
I think that marijuana should be legalized in the United States. The main reason i think this is that it will vastly aid our ailing economy. It will save a lot of government spending in the process of arresting people for marijuana when most are just simple possession not dealing. Also, if companies were able to manufacture and sell marijuana it would add a whole new aspect to the market and would pump a lot more money into the economy.

Ray-Chill
04-18-2012, 11:27 PM
I'm all for this..
I'm not sure of the actual figures..
But by legalizing it and taxing it we're putting money back into our government and taking the spending out of arrests and prison time.
1/3 of people in prison are there for Marijuana related crimes.
If you figure it takes about $500 a day for a criminal to be in jail..
Imagine all the money we would save..
Not including the money a tax on it would be..

It could single handily save our government from this debt.
PLus the food some many people would need and spend money on for the munchies..
It has no PROVEN long term affects.. And in the end doesn't hurt you as much as most people think.

On the other hand though..
It could make our nation even lazier, and fatter...

But hell.. Our country would be better off.

Sci_Girl
04-19-2012, 01:02 AM
Already a thread on this. [Only registered and activated users can see links]

thequeen
04-19-2012, 02:32 AM
how long did it take to dig that up... from 2011 LOL
ok, I guess this is old topic then, everyone unanimously supports legalization. *clap*

seanf
04-19-2012, 02:55 AM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Thought this was quite interesting, shared by cheech and chong on my fb :)

ShadowCreature
04-19-2012, 10:54 PM
William Randolph Hearst ran a smear campaign against marijuana in the 1930s to protect his interests in the timber industry because hemp was considered more affordable, he started by saying it will retard you, it will make you impotent and such, nothing wrong with weed, it would free up our courts and our police force, and even if it was decriminalized would be better, just give someone a ticket for smoking pot like you would a speeding ticket, saves everyones time and makes a bit of money on the side but at the moment, all this bullshit is costing us mega bucks in court fees

Ape
04-20-2012, 07:27 PM
It should defiantly be legalized i mean it has medical uses and also we could tax it and help get out of our debt i mean if you don't want people to get high why on earth would you want people drunk and alcohol is legal so why should pot not be also posting this on 4/20 have a great day

Ronith
04-20-2012, 08:15 PM
No.

We don't need more impaired people driving while under the influence of something. Plus it will never ever happen. Every car insurance company is against it. If it would ever go through, expect to pay tripled what you are currently paying.

Plus do you really want the goverment to regulate the sale of marijuana? Look at the good job they are doing with USPS and AMTRAK.

eli
04-21-2012, 02:57 AM
no. i don't want to hang out in a world with a bunch of stoners who don't give a fuck.

I_royalty_I
04-21-2012, 03:04 AM
I'm all for decriminalizing it...but when you legalize it, who will regulate it? You want the government to stick their hand in that too?
Decriminalizing it would do a few things:
It could reduce or get rid of jail time for canabis related offenses.
That would include those selling and growing as well.

It wouldn't completely legalize it, but it wouldn't be a crime that you would go to jail for.

I honestly don't care one way or the other. I don't think money generated from taxing this alone would do shit too much for our economy in the long run.
People would just find ways to go under the radar and avoid the taxes...and you all know it's true lol.
Why would you pay more when you can get it cheaper from Juan up the road. Hell, buying/selling is already shady enough, you don't even need to change anything lol.

sarahbella
04-21-2012, 05:10 AM
I just really hate the fact that a lot of people in prisons are in there for drug related charges. I'm sorry, it could just be me, but I'd rather have murderers and child rapists in prison over a plethora of drug dealers.

Especially in states like California where they have the "three strike rule" a lot of the people in prisons there are on drug related charges. We have other things to be worried about, honestly. There are worse people who should be crowding up our already overcrowded prisons.

I agree about decriminalizing, but not necessarily legalizing drugs though.

There is the side of me though, that wouldn't be able to live like a person who is addicted to heroin. Drugs such as heroin do horrible things to good people. Especially when it comes to looks. Not to mention a lot of overdoses, accidental ones included. Reasons like that are why it should not be allowed to be legally sold. I also am the type of person who likes to be in control of myself. I'd prefer not to spend most of my time dozing in and out of reality.

I_royalty_I
04-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Well the issue doesn't cover things like heroin or crystal meth. There's no way in hell they are going to be made legal :P

Usually if you are brought up on drug charges, you aren't automatically thrown in jail. Isn't there usually like a warning, or probation or something that you get first? Like a three strikes youre out kinda deal?

I mean...it is illegal, so if you get caught the first time, then a second. I think you would either be reallllllly careful or just stop. So it's their own fault.
Just think about the billions and trillions in tax breaks we give the rich and the big corporations. The amount of money we spend to keep them in there doesn't really add up THAT much.

trix
04-21-2012, 12:11 PM
I just really hate the fact that a lot of people in prisons are in there for drug related charges. I'm sorry, it could just be me, but I'd rather have murderers and child rapists in prison over a plethora of drug dealers.

Really? I'm of the opinion that drug dealers (I'm talking the big stuff here) are scum. They may be doing it to fuel their own habit but that doesn't change the fact that because of them, many more people develop an uncontrollable addiction and ruin their lives, either by getting caught for possession or because they do illegal things in order to get the money to buy the drugs they're addicted to.

Sci_Girl
04-21-2012, 12:31 PM

I personally feel that if you get caught doing something illegal when it is considered illegal then you deserve to be put in jail or if it is a lesser considered offense at the very least booked for something so it goes on record (even if they do not actually end up in jail). Not all drug charges are serious, I believe that pot chargers are lesser except for dealing, but one is not above the law simply because they think their drug of choice is wicked. If it is illegal at the time then prepare to face the legal consequences at the time. But I do believe drug related charges of high magnitude like cocaine, heroine, meth and so on should certainly be met with harsh legal jail time.

sarahbella
04-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Really? I'm of the opinion that drug dealers (I'm talking the big stuff here) are scum. They may be doing it to fuel their own habit but that doesn't change the fact that because of them, many more people develop an uncontrollable addiction and ruin their lives, either by getting caught for possession or because they do illegal things in order to get the money to buy the drugs they're addicted to.

We will just have to agree to disagree. I'm sorry but child rapists and murderers will always be above drug dealers in my book of scummy people. I do understand what your saying though and I'm not saying you don't have a point.

I completely agree that if you do the crime you do the time, but not when especially in states like California they can get life in prison for getting caught selling drugs. Some murderers are out in less. I know someone who used to be a good friend who is only serving 4 years for killing his aunt. I just don't like the idea of that. ;/

I_royalty_I
04-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Well rapists and murders are in there as well, don't worry about that :P

But in many cases, drugs dealers can fall into a few categories.
No need to glorify drugs dealers or users. Yes there are a lot of casual users who just use it here and there...but there is also a who underworld that is quite dangerous. Fuck with them, youre dead. Owe them money, youre dead.
Let's not get it twisted, drugs are illegal. If you get caught using them, selling them, growing them; youre going to jail. Simple.

That's like saying, eh that murderer is old as shit, he won't be able to do anything again let's just let him go so that we have room for the really dangerous ones.

Ronith
04-21-2012, 03:22 PM
We will just have to agree to disagree. I'm sorry but child rapists and murderers will always be above drug dealers in my book of scummy people. I do understand what your saying though and I'm not saying you don't have a point.

I completely agree that if you do the crime you do the time, but not when especially in states like California they can get life in prison for getting caught selling drugs. Some murderers are out in less. I know someone who used to be a good friend who is only serving 4 years for killing his aunt. I just don't like the idea of that. ;/

Cases-to-case basis. Did the drug dealer sell drugs to kids and a bunch of them died as a reult of the drugs? and so on...

sarahbella
04-21-2012, 03:27 PM
How is three strikes of selling drugs (any situation) and you get life in prison (in the states that do that) a case to case basis? o.o Maybe I'm confused what you mean.

caonima
04-22-2012, 10:30 AM
marijuana is too dangerous. Legalising it will give the youngsters more ways to getting it. The social conditions will worsen.

Kera
04-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Personally, I think it should be legalized. It's already legalized here in Cali and other countries. Make it legal everywhere.
I don't see why its not, I haven't seen any side effects of it. Also, I don't think that I've heard of anyone dying because they've smoke marijuana.

lastdeadriser
04-29-2012, 11:23 PM
I'm curious to see opinions (mainly the people that are against legalizing it....what compelling arguments could you make? :P)

personally, I think legalizing marijuana will not only benefit mankind overall, but will turn the tide on the war on drugs. It's also been shown to be effective in reducing crime rate and black markets and such in many European countries (such as Switzerland, and the Netherlands where they actually have cannabis "coffeeshops" where you can go to buy/smoke pot) which have decriminalized the use and possession of the plant.

Whatya think ? :)

"Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction." - Bob Marley

I agree with you it really should be legalized. I think less people would smoke it because some people just do it to break the law. To look cool. But how would you look cool if everyone could do it. Those are my thoughts

Ophelia
05-12-2012, 03:54 PM
I think people with constant pain should be allowed to use it. Bored and dumb kids with money ? No.

SmokeToke
05-17-2012, 08:37 PM
For one Marijuana helps with plenty of things. It has also CURED some cancer cases and has helped millions who have been sleep deprives or anorexic. It can also help with depression by lightning up your mood or even bi-polar. I know I am very productive when I smoke it, I clean, cook, and I'm always on the go. When you burn out (which medical marijuana does not do) ofcourse you get a bit lazy, cause you've been going and thinking alll damn day. End of story, Marijuana is great! Legalize this shit pls.

Ronith
05-17-2012, 08:47 PM
For one Marijuana helps with plenty of things. It has also CURED some cancer cases and has helped millions who have been sleep deprives or anorexic. It can also help with depression by lightning up your mood or even bi-polar. I know I am very productive when I smoke it, I clean, cook, and I'm always on the go. When you burn out (which medical marijuana does not do) ofcourse you get a bit lazy, cause you've been going and thinking alll damn day. End of story, Marijuana is great! Legalize this shit pls.

Plenty of people are productive without marijuana. There are many alternatives other then marijuana for sleep deprivation. It looks like you making an excuse to smoke weed.

SmokeToke
05-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Ronith
Once again, you must have your two cents, well be it.

But if you re-read, I did not claim those were MY REASONS to smoking weed.
My reasons are it is a free world & I have my own rights to what I do.
REGARDLESS of what anybody says, and I will take actions for my responsibilities if needed.
Thanks for your input though, as alot of people do use excuses. I don't have one, I just love it :).

Ronith
05-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Ronith
Once again, you must have your two cents, well be it.

But if you re-read, I did not claim those were MY REASONS to smoking weed.
My reasons are it is a free world & I have my own rights to what I do.
REGARDLESS of what anybody says, and I will take actions for my responsibilities if needed.
Thanks for your input though, as alot of people do use excuses. I don't have one, I just love it :).

It isn't your right though. It is against the law.

/end

SmokeToke
05-17-2012, 09:07 PM
That's why I claimed I'd take responsibility for my actions.
Please do not try to make me look stupid, re-read it.

Ronith
05-17-2012, 09:44 PM
That's why I claimed I'd take responsibility for my actions.
Please do not try to make me look stupid, re-read it.

So you think breaking the law over and over again is a good idea?

SmokeToke
05-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Just to say, in NS if your caught with UNDER 7G which is clearly 7x more than I ever have to smoke on me, It's taken that is it.. lol.
Every time.
But yeah, if I did get caught with alot ID be screwed. And yes, I would take responsibilities.
NOBODY said screwing over the law is a good idea.
But I can't go to jail, and it's not really screwing over the law. It's not like I'm a murder or wanted criminal.. I'm sure I'd be screwing them over by taking their minds off of that murderer just to fill out some papers over a gram.. lol :)

Ronith
05-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Just to say, in NS if your caught with UNDER 7G which is clearly 7x more than I ever have to smoke on me, It's taken that is it.. lol.
Every time.
But yeah, if I did get caught with alot ID be screwed. And yes, I would take responsibilities.
NOBODY said screwing over the law is a good idea.
But I can't go to jail, and it's not really screwing over the law. It's not like I'm a murder or wanted criminal.. I'm sure I'd be screwing them over by taking their minds off of that murderer just to fill out some papers over a gram.. lol :)

You have terrible ethics. You are abusing a loophole.

It is only time before you get arrested.

J_L_K_64
05-17-2012, 09:56 PM
gentlemen, gentlemen, this debate is on the legalization of marijuana, not personally attacking another member here, or trying to make the thread about yourself, so let's get back to the pros and cons of legalizing weed/pot/the herb/mary jane/whatever you wanna call it

robots
05-17-2012, 11:25 PM
i haven't read the forum but here's my two cents if anyone wants to debate on this

the way i see it, weed isn't a hard drug. it is definitely a drug, it inhibits your .. inhibitions. it makes you lethargic, changes your perception, etc. there are some people who have definitely been helped by medical use (i'm not talking about "insomniacs" or people with "joint pain" - i've read published works about individuals who found salvation from medical marijuana during chemo)
myself, i have smoked weed. it's not a daily thing for me, only a social thing. as well, i live in canada; I'm sure most of you know that marijuana laws in Canada are a lot less harsh than those in America.

I don't think that legalizing marijuana is possible. It'd shake up so many things. as a drug, it's just not seen as something that people would change their minds about.
Personally, I know probably 50 adults who would vote against marijuana legalization to every 1 who would vote for it. Think about your own parents: would they vote in favour, or against ?
Yes, there is little evidence of any ill-effects of marijuana. But politically, pro-legalization would be an extremely risky move.

Sci_Girl
05-18-2012, 01:18 AM
It has also CURED some cancer cases and has helped millions who have been sleep deprives or anorexic.

I am by no means attacking you by saying this it is just my scientific side that has to chime in lol but saying it has cured cancer cases is a big claim and big claims require big evidence. If you have the big evidence that it has cured some cancer cases, your words, then provide it. Blogs or anecdotes of feeling better after smoking are not big evidence either, evidence of it curing comes in the form of scientific journal articles of placebo involved double or triple blind experiments explicitly stating they have a cure and not a possible method of scientific exploration. Alleviating symptoms such as glaucoma, joint pains, helping with relaxation during insomnia phases and increasing hunger in cancer patients is not a form of cancer cure. There is a hell of a big difference between "I feel better and more relaxed after smoking rather than chemotherapy" and a flat out cancer cure. Marijuana has not cured cancer period, nothing has, many ideas floating around as to what could work but there has been no true cure as of yet. I am well versed in the science of marijuana (see my other posts on the other site and this one about marijuana for a plethora of information) so I know what it can do for patients that can truly use the substance to help ease their pains. But if you have such evidence, again not opinions or poorly written blogs, then by all means link to it because as a woman of scientific mind and curiosity I truly want to read such an article. And for the record I could care less about people smoking pot as long as they are not being delinquents ruining things around me or my neighborhood or having that smell anywhere around me. Again not attacking you about this it is just part of me to ask for evidence when something like a scientific subject of cancer cure about anything is brought up lol.

Also mods don't you think the other thread on marijuana legalization should be merged with this one?

Narkotiq
05-18-2012, 01:56 AM
I'm on the fence on this one. Legalization would help the economy and it would also keep normal people who would rather smoke something than get shit faced drunk from dealing with seedy dealers. It would also help people with many health conditions who can't afford prescription medications. But I'm also against it because I don't want the governments filthy hands in my weed and taxing it through the roof.

My argument though is if alcohol, which is the cause of many many many deaths a year (whether it be car accidents, alcohol poisoning, etc) can be legal, why can't a relaxing herb be legal? I've never seen anyone drive like a retard while under the influence of marijuana, I've actually known people who can't drive unless they're high because they are those types that "freak out" behind the wheel and the marijuana calms them down (they normally prescribe Klonopin for this condition which not only impairs you but makes you VERY tired). Plus I think it's bull that here in WV in Mt Olive Maximum Security Prison there are tons of people in there for LIFE for simply selling marijuana... LIFE! They are in there with murderers, rapists, kidnappers, etc. I'm sorry if you disagree but I don't believe marijuana is anywhere near as bad as rape, murder, etc, not by a long shot.

There's my 2 cents.. don't spend it all in one place kiddos.

Love
05-18-2012, 03:05 AM
Im all for the legalization.

Benefits :
More Jobs - Weed specialty stores open
Less drug related crime - more money for the state to catch more serious offenses
More taxes - from the sale of weed.

I mean, at the end, its whether - the country will benefit or not benefit from it. :))

Nath
05-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Here in the UK, weed will only ever be legal if the government tax it. That's the only reason it currently is illegal imo.

Weed causing mental health issues: I think that this is untrue, however if you have an underlying mental health issue that you're not aware of, weed certainly makes things a lot worse.

I've smoked weed on and off for 10 years and have suffered no mental health issues. On the other hand my brother has developed mental health issues such as "bi-polar", depression, psychosis and insomnia. It is my belief that people with certain minds can be affected adversely, however this is only the same as people who drink alcohol.

Ronith
05-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Im all for the legalization.

Benefits :
More Jobs - Weed specialty stores open
Less drug related crime - more money for the state to catch more serious offenses
More taxes - from the sale of weed.

I mean, at the end, its whether - the country will benefit or not benefit from it. :))
Not really. It doesn't create jobs we need. It creates more service industry jobs. Jobs anyone who barely got out of high school can obtain. There are plenty of those out there. Both Canada and the USA lost thousands and thousands of factories. The manufacturing sector in North America has eroded because of the lack of anything really being made here. We need the manufacturing sector to prosper again, not more service industry jobs. Soon we will be a tertiary stage production country. There are so many much better alternatives to revitalizing the economy then marijuana.

The crime will not really decrease. Do you think those drug dealers are going to suddenly go away? Honestly?

I personally would never hire anyone who is under the influence of any drugs. Especially if they are operating machinery.

I do tend be concerned about the slippery slope of adding control by the government, but I also am concerned about the slippery slope of legalizing weed.*

It's always been called a gateway drug, is legalizing just a gateway to legalizing everything? There are some illegal drugs that are truly dangerous, will any of those be the next step?

This is not a simple problem, even though many like to make it seem as if it is.

And besides, I can see it now. People using their food stamps to buy marijuana. It's happening with alcohol....

05-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Yes, you don't have to smoke it.

cloudxcrash
05-19-2012, 06:23 AM
It might benefit your economy, who knows, but marijuana turns people into addicted losers in my honest opinion. I've seen what this drug does to people and their families and I'm not a fan of it. I don't care if some people can "handle it" or "keep it under control" since most people can't.

Love
05-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Not really. It doesn't create jobs we need. It creates more service industry jobs. Jobs anyone who barely got out of high school can obtain. There are plenty of those out there. Both Canada and the USA lost thousands and thousands of factories. The manufacturing sector in North America has eroded because of the lack of anything really being made here. We need the manufacturing sector to prosper again, not more service industry jobs. Soon we will be a tertiary stage production country. There are so many much better alternatives to revitalizing the economy then marijuana.

The crime will not really decrease. Do you think those drug dealers are going to suddenly go away? Honestly?

I personally would never hire anyone who is under the influence of any drugs. Especially if they are operating machinery.

I do tend be concerned about the slippery slope of adding control by the government, but I also am concerned about the slippery slope of legalizing weed.*

It's always been called a gateway drug, is legalizing just a gateway to legalizing everything? There are some illegal drugs that are truly dangerous, will any of those be the next step?

This is not a simple problem, even though many like to make it seem as if it is.

And besides, I can see it now. People using their food stamps to buy marijuana. It's happening with alcohol....

You have your point. And yes, you can name 1000 reasons WHY or WHY NOT to legalize it in my opinion.
However, remember the alcohol ban of 1900s (forgot the date), what happened due to that? The Mafia prospered and crimes shot up that were alcohol related.If you subtract the amount of marijuana users, there would be less people involved in the drug trade thus hypothetically speaking, less crimes.

At the end, you have to choose the lesser of the two evils.
It's like Bush going to war for oil. Economists will say yes, human rights group would say no.
I guess really, we will never know the effects to the economy by legalizing marijuana but one thing's for sure, jobs will be CREATED due to that and taxes will be collected.

Some say its a gateway drug. No doubt about that. At the end of the line, its only the addicts who continue to use despite consequences. By making it available like how Amsterdam did, the effects were shown : The crime rate in Amsterdam is lower than MOST US cities.

jenlanes
06-28-2012, 05:01 AM
In my opinion, the war on drug is only benefiting the drug cartels. Legalize marijuana and allowed it to be state controlled, such as alcohol is.

It's funny how people say marijuana is a gateway drug... that argument is flawed. Typically, alcohol is the first drug anyone ever tries, and generally it is the gateway drug to other drugs, yet people don't go around saying "Alcohol is a gateway drug" even though it is. Alcohol is known for it's ability to drastically lower your inhibitions among other things. Many people seem to forget that alcohol is actually considered a drug, so when people say that they wouldn't hire people on drugs.... obviously you wouldn't hire someone who is drunk on the job, much the same way as you wouldn't hire someone who's high on the job. It's just not a valid argument.

People say that it causes people to become addicted losers... really? According to that logic, alcohol and nicotine should also be banned.

DarkByte
07-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Legalize it of course!

There literally fights every week/day in town near me due to alcohol and cigarettes will kill you , there still legal. It would benefit many industries , glass blowing tourism ect....

Usa are doing great work on this I know theirs alot of debate in different states right now , but here in U.K theirs no debate really at all. No one is pushing for a law change so at least you guys are on the right track. U.K generally copies every cool U.S.A does , so I am hoping for full legalization over there :).

Emiley
07-10-2012, 07:54 PM
I have two reasons on why it should be legal or illegal.

My reason for it being legal:
Because if marijuana is legal, then the government wont have to waste money on making people go to jail just for being in possession of marijuana. They also wont have to waste resources on building more jail centers if a jail ends up being filled. I also heard that marijuana can be good for medical causes so marijuana could be used to help the sick people.

My reason for why it should be illegal:
People who smoke marijuana cant stop smoking it because its a hard addiction to end just like smoking cigarettes. Just using my imagination. Making marijuana legal could possibly cause trouble too, like people would rob marijuana vending machines if there was any and they would take advantage of it.

John
07-10-2012, 08:16 PM

Because if marijuana is legal, then the government wont have to waste money on making people go to jail just for being in possession of marijuana. They also wont have to waste resources on building more jail centers if a jail ends up being filled. I also heard that marijuana can be good for medical causes so marijuana could be used to help the sick people.

People who smoke marijuana cant stop smoking it because its a hard addiction to end just like smoking cigarettes. Just using my imagination. Making marijuana legal could possibly cause trouble too, like people would rob marijuana vending machines if there was any and they would take advantage of it.

LOL, do a bit of research first. Marijuana is non addictive. Vending Machines would be high security, and things that are already legal get robbed all the time anyway. People take advantage of everything, legal or illegal, people abuse alcohol all the time and that is legal, invalid argument.

Spurs
07-10-2012, 08:34 PM
I think it should be legalised tbh. I can see and understand/agree with both sides of the argument on this one. My argument is not bias either, as I've tried weed in the past but I don't smoke it now and haven't for about 4 years.

Reasons for it being legal;
It would create jobs. People could be specifically hired by the Government or whatever to be legit growers and the Government could purchase from these and market the weed at a price that is acceptable. These earnings would be taxed, therefore it contributes to the economy.

As Emily said, the number of people in jail would most likely decrease, especially for something as stupid as minor possession w/ no intent to supply or whatever. This means there would be more free spaces to lock up genuine criminals, as well as freeing up resources that could be better allocated within the justice system - more cops, improved resources etc.

It benefits the economy in other ways - tourism, for example. Amsterdam makes a ridiculous amount of money from the tourist trade, especially in Europe, because they have legalised and controlled the usage of marijuana. People visit the country/place, buy weed but they are also most likely going to do typical touristy shit e.g. in the UK = Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace etc so this generates increased revenue for the areas tourists are visiting.

Alcohol and cigarettes are legal and controlled, and they're no better than weed. People say weed is a gateway drug but I think this depends on the mentality of the user, and not everyone who smokes weed is going to end up as a crack addict or a cocaine fiend. From what I've seen, there are no major negative effects of smoking weed (like I've said, what I've seen, obviously except like cancer and shit) such as tiredness, excessive laughter etc, whereas alcohol can make people aggressive, violent, anti-social and unable to make reasonable and logical decisions if consumed in massive quantities.

On the other hand, there are reason why I think it's hard to/shouldn't be legalised.

The unemployment rates probably won't see too much of an increase. Yeah there might be more jobs created through it, but that's not to say the unemployed users of marijuana will get these jobs - they're too stoned, too lazy, can't focus etc.

There will always be drug cartels/gangs who will undercut Government sellers to line their own pockets. This will never go away - you can still get imported tobacco/cigarettes, or fake tobacco because it's a fair amount cheaper than the legit stuff, even though it's easy to just go and buy a pack of cigs or whatever.

It could alienate the usage of marijuana in young people - they may think that just cause it's legal, it's okay to do. This could mean they ditch school to get high and other shit, although I knew people at school who ditched to get drunk so it's not a different case, just a different variable.

That's just my take on it, and no doubt I've missed a few. Overall, I think legalising and controlling the distribution and usage of marijuana could actually be a good thing, and I know that if I was a user, I'd rather buy clean, pure marijuana from a Government-owned distributor than a shady batch of shitty marijuana that's been mixed with other substances to increase the weight of it, even if the second option is cheaper.

Josh
07-10-2012, 08:59 PM
LOL, do a bit of research first. Marijuana is non addictive. Vending Machines would be high security, and things that are already legal get robbed all the time anyway. People take advantage of everything, legal or illegal, people abuse alcohol all the time and that is legal, invalid argument.

How is it not addictive? There is no physical addiction, but there is a mental addiction. Ive been through the addiction. It was easier for me to stop using the pills/hard drugs, but Ive relapsed on weed many times. I know a lot of people who are the same way.

Sci_Girl
07-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Weed does not give a physical addiction, there is no neurophysiological part that shows it behaves as other hard drugs do when it comes to an actual chemical addiction. Those addictions are both mental and physical, that individual depends on that high they cannot get through a day without that high, their brain chemistry is actually dependent on those chemicals. Pot smokers do not have that sort of substance abuse or dependance, they have a more or less a behavioral dependence. Because there is no chemical aspect that can be blamed for an actual debilitating addition what is left is choice. People choose to smoke it because they like to, they like that feeling of calm nothingness that feeling of zoning out. That is far different than having a real physical substance abuse addiction. They go back to pot because they like to smoke it, or they give into peer pressure, or maybe they are curious again after x amount of time. But what is not at play in a person who smokes again and again is a substance abuse addiction guiding physiological need and desire in such a way that real hard drugs do.

John
07-10-2012, 11:10 PM
How is it not addictive? There is no physical addiction, but there is a mental addiction. Ive been through the addiction. It was easier for me to stop using the pills/hard drugs, but Ive relapsed on weed many times. I know a lot of people who are the same way.

Just because you like it too much to stop, does not mean that it is chemically addictive.

Shichibukai
07-11-2012, 08:17 PM

Lol... The government is not cheap or poor or in need of money. If something is not good for a person making it legal just to save some money is the stupidest argument I have ever seen. You have totally missed out the main points on why people want it to be legal or illegal...
You shouldnt even talk about this because you have no idea what is going on, there are other simpler topics that you can try posting at :)

Josh
07-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Just because you like it too much to stop, does not mean that it is chemically addictive.

You're missing the difference between physical and mental addiction. Physical addiction = Chemical addiction.

Anyways heres some facts instead of opinions:

Science of Marijuana is written by Leslie L. Iverson, a professor of pharmacology at the University of Cambridge in England. In the book, he reviews decades of international research on marijuana, both laboratory research and survey research. Based on his review of the scientific literature, between 10 to 30% of regular users will develop dependency. Only about 9% will have a serious addiction.

[QUOTE]What most people don't know is that there is quite a bit of interaction between the cannabinoid receptor system (especially CB1 receptors) and the opioid receptor system in the brain. In fact, research has shown that without the activation of the

fairydust201
07-12-2012, 06:40 PM
i think people who are 18-21 should be able to smoke it in public honestly . . . . .

ibleedketchup
08-18-2012, 10:15 AM
gotta legalize it brah
I believe it should be legalized because it doesn't seem to be too harmful
plus it could generate money for the govt

Jose
08-18-2012, 11:36 AM
legalize
yea i smoke a shitload of it cuz its good & ive been smokin it for 11 years now,
but government n shit should realize it benefits them like +3473439% lmfao.
it's healthier than cigarettes too, or atleast i've heard.

leptoon
08-19-2012, 02:47 PM
it's healthier than cigarettes too, or atleast i've heard.
Kind of. Cigarette tobacco has lots of chemicals in it and therefore produces far more carcinogens, but marijuana produces more "tar". A single joint of weed will produce about the same amount of "tar" as three cigarettes.

I'm for legalization. Anyone in their right mind has to believe that the fact that weed is illegal is doing far more harm than good to many aspects of our society.

tristen1230
08-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Pain killers my dad takes are a fortune for a week supply it is nearly $200. Luckily he has insurance he does not have to pay for. This is way cheaper unless they start putting it in pill form.

Scott
08-19-2012, 09:45 PM

Okay, now I have experience both a Vicodin and (mental) medical Marijuana addiction and all I can say about this statement is WTF? It was easier for you to quit "pills/hard drugs" than Marijuana?! WHAT?! I've literally never heard that before in my life and I'm sorry but I'm going to have to call bs. Coming off a pill addiction such as Vicodin or any other pain killer causes intense migraines, sweating and body aches. You're telling me that it was easier to go through that than a mental marijuana addiction? Let alone these "hard drugs" you claim to have taken.

Marijuana is addictive in the same sense as video games, sports or gambling is addictive. If it's harder for you to quit that than hard drugs then you've got some issues.

Josh
08-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Okay, now I have experience both a Vicodin and (mental) medical Marijuana addiction and all I can say about this statement is WTF? It was easier for you to quit "pills/hard drugs" than Marijuana?! WHAT?! I've literally never heard that before in my life and I'm sorry but I'm going to have to call bs. Coming off a pill addiction such as Vicodin or any other pain killer causes intense migraines, sweating and body aches. You're telling me that it was easier to go through that than a mental marijuana addiction? Let alone these "hard drugs" you claim to have taken.

Marijuana is addictive in the same sense as video games, sports or gambling is addictive. If it's harder for you to quit that than hard drugs then you've got some issues.

My earlier post wasnt written right. My point is only that there can be an addiction to weed. Pill addiction is a lot worse obviously. I stopped before I got addicted to pills or dope (I got arrested. Cant have opiates show up in drug test).

hazeoptics
09-10-2012, 08:57 PM
I vote to make it legal its a far less dangerous drug than some of its other illegal comrades. Also has a lot of positive qualities and healing abilities as opposed to other drugs which pretty much just harm you EX: Crack

Macho
09-12-2012, 10:54 AM
No. Drugs = no, period

PrincessParker
10-12-2012, 10:55 AM
I don't think that it should be legal.
No, I'm not against it, I smoke it all the time, just hear me out...

If you are smart about it, people don't even know you smoke it. I have been blazing for at least 6 years now, and I used to sell. If you're smart, and responsible, there is no reason for you to get caught. So, if you're not smart or responsible, you should not be smoking it, period. Give millions of people the legal access to smoke, when half of them aren't safe enough to not get caught while it's illegal, is a recipe for disaster.

Pot is considered a gateway drug. As an addition to my previous point, if you're not cautious enough not to get caught, who's to say you're smart enough to say no to something else a little harder. I think that since you can't make it legal for just some people, that it should stay illegal. There are always the few people that will fuck it up for everyone else. So maybe you can't smoke it wherever you'd like to... Get over it. That's half the fun, anyways. Finding those blaze spots in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of friends who are always a good time, and just chill and smoke up.

Also, people are trying to point the finger at places like McDonalds for obesity. Pot would be yet another thing for angry protesters to scream about. The munchies + McDonalds... that's just the argument people who want to "fight the system" will jump all over. Not that I care about health nuts arguing basically to themselves, just no one need that drama added to the world. Everyone has a choice in life, and if they CHOSE to eat unhealthy, that's their own issue. (Another topic to get into more detail about later).

As much as it'd be fun to be able to walk into any store and buy j's or pre-packed bowls... It's just smarter to mission to your dealer, and keep your shit secret and safe. Don't look suspicious, don't be stupid, and you won't have a problem. :) Legal or not, you can still enjoy it responsibly.

winston_tiu
10-17-2012, 09:58 PM
I've not really tried marijuana, yet I'm always spritely.. So i would say no to marijuana... what's so cool about getting stoned anyway?

OFWGKTA
12-28-2012, 09:17 PM
I think the legalization of marijuana will be quite beneficial. It will help lead to less small arrests that cost the government more than it's worth. Plus it has been proved to have worthwhile gains when used for medical reasoning. Also it'll put an end to a relatively huge part of the underground drug trade.

tristen1230
12-28-2012, 11:37 PM
I want to get this straight. This is my opinion. Please don't criticize it.

This hits close to home because my dad has cancer and I know how much his pain killers would cost. They would usually cost around $200 per week. They did not work very well either but since he has been taking marijuana liquid form not smoking or that his pain has been greatly reduced and it costs way less and lasts way longer than a week. He does not say but you can tell since he never complains about it anymore. Anyway all in all I think it should. I am not one of these people who think it will encourage more people to do it illegally. Now only for medical reasons not you go into a store and buy it. Put it this way cigarettes are worse.

Josh
12-29-2012, 02:12 AM
I don't think that it should be legal.
No, I'm not against it, I smoke it all the time, just hear me out...

If you are smart about it, people don't even know you smoke it. I have been blazing for at least 6 years now, and I used to sell. If you're smart, and responsible, there is no reason for you to get caught. So, if you're not smart or responsible, you should not be smoking it, period. Give millions of people the legal access to smoke, when half of them aren't safe enough to not get caught while it's illegal, is a recipe for disaster.

Pot is considered a gateway drug. As an addition to my previous point, if you're not cautious enough not to get caught, who's to say you're smart enough to say no to something else a little harder. I think that since you can't make it legal for just some people, that it should stay illegal. There are always the few people that will fuck it up for everyone else. So maybe you can't smoke it wherever you'd like to... Get over it. That's half the fun, anyways. Finding those blaze spots in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of friends who are always a good time, and just chill and smoke up.

Also, people are trying to point the finger at places like McDonalds for obesity. Pot would be yet another thing for angry protesters to scream about. The munchies + McDonalds... that's just the argument people who want to "fight the system" will jump all over. Not that I care about health nuts arguing basically to themselves, just no one need that drama added to the world. Everyone has a choice in life, and if they CHOSE to eat unhealthy, that's their own issue. (Another topic to get into more detail about later).

As much as it'd be fun to be able to walk into any store and buy j's or pre-packed bowls... It's just smarter to mission to your dealer, and keep your shit secret and safe. Don't look suspicious, don't be stupid, and you won't have a problem. :) Legal or not, you can still enjoy it responsibly.

...What about alcohol then? Shouldnt that be illegal since some people are stupid and drive drunk? Alcohol is way more harmful for you, and causes a lot more deaths. Ive never seen a friend crash their car from being high. The most ive seen people do is stop at green lights. Making something illegal because of a few people is just stupid.

As for the gateway drug thing, I see your point there. But making it legal gets rid of the drug dealer, which gives people less connections to harder stuff.

I've not really tried marijuana, yet I'm always spritely.. So i would say no to marijuana... what's so cool about getting stoned anyway?
Smoke a bowl and you will see.

I think the legalization of marijuana will be quite beneficial. It will help lead to less small arrests that cost the government more than it's worth. Plus it has been proved to have worthwhile gains when used for medical reasoning. Also it'll put an end to a relatively huge part of the underground drug trade.

Exactly. Stop arresting stoners who dont harm anyone.

DarkAngel
12-29-2012, 02:34 AM
...What about alcohol then? Shouldnt that be illegal since some people are stupid and drive drunk? Alcohol is way more harmful for you, and causes a lot more deaths. Ive never seen a friend crash their car from being high. The most ive seen people do is stop at green lights. Making something illegal because of a few people is just stupid.

As for the gateway drug thing, I see your point there. But making it legal gets rid of the drug dealer, which gives people less connections to harder stuff.

If you've never seen someone crash their car for being high, is because marijuana isn't as common as cigarettes or alcohol.

Any drug, in abuse, will end up in a disaster. Doesn't matter which one is it. Even coffee...

As the girl on purple said, it's not needed. If you want to smoke it, you will, and you won't care if that's legal or not. If they make it legal, you won't be able to smoke it wherever you want, as alcohol... You can't drink on public places, probably this will be the same with marijuana as both takes you away from reality. Tabacco is something different so it's allowed, as caffeine and other small drugs.

Josh
01-03-2013, 11:41 PM
If you've never seen someone crash their car for being high, is because marijuana isn't as common as cigarettes or alcohol.

Any drug, in abuse, will end up in a disaster. Doesn't matter which one is it. Even coffee...

As the girl on purple said, it's not needed. If you want to smoke it, you will, and you won't care if that's legal or not. If they make it legal, you won't be able to smoke it wherever you want, as alcohol... You can't drink on public places, probably this will be the same with marijuana as both takes you away from reality. Tabacco is something different so it's allowed, as caffeine and other small drugs.

No, its because weed is nothing like alcohol. Ive only once had weed make me incapable of being able to drive, and that was after smoking an ounce of really good weed within a couple hours.

Describe disaster? You can not overdose on weed, it does not impair your body anywhere close to how much alcohol does, and the most you really have to worry about is an asshole cop who claims they smell weed in the car.

How is it not needed? Turning young adults into criminals because they smoke weed, great idea. Getting a job while having drug related arrests on your record isnt exactly easy. About 853,000 (According to [Only registered and activated users can see links]) people where arrested because of marijuana in 2010. 853,000 examples of a waste of money. I completely understand arresting someone who is smoking while driving, or driving high, but other then that its just a waste of money. We already have 2 states who have legalized recreational use; it wont be long until more do the same.

DarkAngel
01-04-2013, 12:04 AM
No, its because weed is nothing like alcohol. Ive only once had weed make me incapable of being able to drive, and that was after smoking an ounce of really good weed within a couple hours.

Describe disaster? You can not overdose on weed, it does not impair your body anywhere close to how much alcohol does, and the most you really have to worry about is an asshole cop who claims they smell weed in the car.

How is it not needed? Turning young adults into criminals because they smoke weed, great idea. Getting a job while having drug related arrests on your record isnt exactly easy. About 853,000 (According to [Only registered and activated users can see links]) people where arrested because of marijuana in 2010. 853,000 examples of a waste of money. I completely understand arresting someone who is smoking while driving, or driving high, but other then that its just a waste of money. We already have 2 states who have legalized recreational use; it wont be long until more do the same.

If you don't want a bad record, you don't steal.
If you don't want a bad record, you don't smoke weed.

If you don't want an infraction, you don't exceed speed limits
If you don't want an infraction, you don't smoke weed on a public place.
If you don't want an infraction, you don't drink on a public place.

Even if it's legalized, not too much will change.
Infractions will still be there, and they'll still go to your records... As driving infractions, as any infraction

Josh
01-04-2013, 07:46 PM
If you don't want a bad record, you don't steal.
If you don't want a bad record, you don't smoke weed.

If you don't want an infraction, you don't exceed speed limits
If you don't want an infraction, you don't smoke weed on a public place.
If you don't want an infraction, you don't drink on a public place.

Even if it's legalized, not too much will change.
Infractions will still be there, and they'll still go to your records... As driving infractions, as any infraction

Youre missing the point. Why should people do jail time for weed, when alcohol is a lot worse then weed? Theres no point in weed being considered a controlled substance. They should not be treating weed smokers the same way they treat heroin and crack. According to the Controlled substances act, weed is worse then coke (Weed is a Schedule I controlled substance, and coke is a Schedule II controlled substance).

If we legalize weed, we get rid of a lot of drug dealers and we take the violence out of selling weed. Regulate it the same way we regulate alcohol. Whats the difference between someone drinking a beer after work, and someone smoking a bowl after work? Only difference is if the person drinking gets behind the wheel, they are going to end up killing someone. Why waste so much money fighting a war against a drug that is a lot safer then alcohol?

How would not much change? It would change everything. Less people in jail for pointless things, and less young adults who cant get a job because they got caught with weed.

DarkAngel
01-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Youre missing the point. Why should people do jail time for weed, when alcohol is a lot worse then weed? Theres no point in weed being considered a controlled substance. They should not be treating weed smokers the same way they treat heroin and crack. According to the Controlled substances act, weed is worse then coke (Weed is a Schedule I controlled substance, and coke is a Schedule II controlled substance).

If we legalize weed, we get rid of a lot of drug dealers and we take the violence out of selling weed. Regulate it the same way we regulate alcohol. Whats the difference between someone drinking a beer after work, and someone smoking a bowl after work? Only difference is if the person drinking gets behind the wheel, they are going to end up killing someone. Why waste so much money fighting a war against a drug that is a lot safer then alcohol?

How would not much change? It would change everything. Less people in jail for pointless things, and less young adults who cant get a job because they got caught with weed.

It's all about social rules.

You'll never see a company leader with piercings on their face, not even a manager of said company.

Just because people see it as a bad act.

These rules will still be there in case it's legalized, so people who gets caugh doing weed will still find it hard to get a job, as a pierced old man.

As for the drug dealers thing, it isn't as easy as it seems, too. A "small" thing as changing the law for weed, carries huge changes...

M.V.P
01-05-2013, 02:24 AM
You know who im reminded of when i read that , WIZ KHALIFA!!!!!! he is all for the legalization of pot , i would have to agree with you , seeing youths ruin their life with drugs is simply horrible and by the legalizing it we would be in effect killing our society , DarkAngel , you hit the bulls eye , no body /is/will be willing to give drug users job , its just not good for the face of the company

DarkAngel
01-05-2013, 02:31 AM
^ Exactly, and that wouldn't or better said, won't change in years, probably until next generation, cause everybody we've grown with the concept of "Drugs are bad"

Daisuke
01-05-2013, 03:53 AM

I believe that while smoking Marijuana is currently considered as a "bad act", it's generally becoming more accepted. More and more states are beginning to legalize it, while others have Medical Marijuana Laws. And personally I don't even consider it a law. I have friends that will literally go to a doctor (Marijuana Enthusiast ofc) and say I have so and so symptoms, and BAM!, they have a medical marijuana card. I'm not saying they'll be able to get a good job right now because businesses have the right to fire you for failing a drug test, regardless of whether you have a MMC. But being that if Marijuana became legal sometime in the future; that won't be a plausible cause to not hire someone anymore. (Similar to not hiring someone because they drink) Yeah, you'll have those people that'll discriminate against users regardless but eventually those people will die out (Since it is more so the older generation that doesn't approve of Marijuana). And if you were to come "high" to work I could see that as a problem. But the same thing can be said about coming to work "drunk".

My main point is that if/when it becomes legalized, people won't be so quick to discriminate against it's users. And it seems apparent to me that it'll have similar 'social rules' that go with alcohol. (And I see plenty of lawyers and managers that are alcoholics :P)

Yes I'm tying Alcohol to Marijuana because I know Alcohol is a lot worse. O.o

I'm not for or against the legalization of Marijuana. I really don't care. People will smoke regardless. But I do however feel that within the next 10-15 years or so, it will be legalized.

Just my 2 cents.

Josh
01-06-2013, 11:38 PM
You know who im reminded of when i read that , WIZ KHALIFA!!!!!! he is all for the legalization of pot , i would have to agree with you , seeing youths ruin their life with drugs is simply horrible and by the legalizing it we would be in effect killing our society , DarkAngel , you hit the bulls eye , no body /is/will be willing to give drug users job , its just not good for the face of the company
Hard drugs will ruin your life. Not weed. There is no withdrawal from not having weed. There is no reason for weed to be illegal if alcohol is legal. If you think weed would kill our society, then ban alcohol as well.

^ Exactly, and that wouldn't or better said, won't change in years, probably until next generation, cause everybody we've grown with the concept of "Drugs are bad"

...About the it "wont change in years" thing. Kinda think it already started changing. Give it 4-8 years, and it will be legal in most (if not all) states.

I believe that while smoking Marijuana is currently considered as a "bad act", it's generally becoming more accepted. More and more states are beginning to legalize it, while others have Medical Marijuana Laws. And personally I don't even consider it a law. I have friends that will literally go to a doctor (Marijuana Enthusiast ofc) and say I have so and so symptoms, and BAM!, they have a medical marijuana card. I'm not saying they'll be able to get a good job right now because businesses have the right to fire you for failing a drug test, regardless of whether you have a MMC. But being that if Marijuana became legal sometime in the future; that won't be a plausible cause to not hire someone anymore. (Similar to not hiring someone because they drink) Yeah, you'll have those people that'll discriminate against users regardless but eventually those people will die out (Since it is more so the older generation that doesn't approve of Marijuana). And if you were to come "high" to work I could see that as a problem. But the same thing can be said about coming to work "drunk".

My main point is that if/when it becomes legalized, people won't be so quick to discriminate against it's users. And it seems apparent to me that it'll have similar 'social rules' that go with alcohol. (And I see plenty of lawyers and managers that are alcoholics :P)

Yes I'm tying Alcohol to Marijuana because I know Alcohol is a lot worse. O.o

I'm not for or against the legalization of Marijuana. I really don't care. People will smoke regardless. But I do however feel that within the next 10-15 years or so, it will be legalized.

Just my 2 cents.

^Exactly.

Sci_Girl
01-07-2013, 01:13 AM
Hard drugs will ruin your life. Not weed. There is no withdrawal from not having weed. There is no reason for weed to be illegal if alcohol is legal. If you think weed would kill our society, then ban alcohol as well.

Are you basing the lack of "ruining your life" on personal experience? Or do you take into account those who cannot get a job because they may fail a drug test due to smoking weed (THC can be in your system for more than a month), get fired for being high at work, cannot get an employer to even look at them due to criminal record for possession of weed, maybe a kid dropped out of school due to the desire to constantly smoke weed rather than stay off the drug and get a job but now cannot do anything without a high school diploma and other such activities pertaining to weed consumption? I am sure if you speak to those who have been quite affected by smoking the drug they would say their life has been ruined.

I doubt they would say they compare to a cocaine addict and medically no they are not suffering from withdraw symptoms however the behavioral aspects associated with smoking weed are addictive. Ask any long time user, do they suffer from withdraw? no not at all, but do they crave that smoke when they can because they can? Do they look forward to getting home and "smoking a bowl"? Do they love the sensation and feelings that happen? Are they frequently engaging in smoking weed? Do they enjoy the aspects of getting high with friends? Do they think about it frequently? Do they crave doing it? If they do then there are some signs of an addiction. Addictions are not limited to hard drugs.

Weed will not kill society, people will themselves due to their own doing, but a dumb plant will not do that just as some alcohol will not kill society either. The difference lies in how people behave while under the influence of such substances. Consuming alcohol is not a recipe for drunken bar fights, that only happens if the person chooses to do so. The majority of those who are able to consume alcohol do so very responsibly. Same with marijuana, not all users are dead-end high school kids who think they are wicked awesome cool by getting high and causing trouble in the streets...most sit in their parent's basement playing xbox and eating chips. There are also some that use it for medical reasons and not for trouble seeking endeavors. Not all smokers are irresponsible but just like it is for alcohol all it takes is for someone else to lack common sense by doing something illegal or other such negative activity to cause a bad name for it. With alcohol there is regulation and an age limit, frankly I could care less if marijuana became legal as long as it had those same restrictions. However I have zero sympathy if someone who is high commits a crime and is caught by police. It does not matter if it is induced by alcohol or marijuana or anything else, if there is a crime committed while under the influence they deserve the full punishment of the law. Keep it in your own home and there will be no issues, take it into public such as public intoxication/public disturbance is with alcohol and you become deserving of any charge that may be laid.

A lot of money could be made off of the legalization though, I mean the number of users is very very high. I think I read recently a poll about 7 in 10 high school kids smoke it frequently lol, not sure where I read that though. Have the kids buy from a reputable safe source that does not contain laced product and that alone can make a lot of money. Have to figure out how to keep the dumb asses who are looking to stir trouble off the streets though, if more trouble is stirred then it may go back to being illegal should it ever be legalized.

Josh
01-07-2013, 02:00 AM
Are you basing the lack of "ruining your life" on personal experience? Or do you take into account those who cannot get a job because they may fail a drug test due to smoking weed (THC can be in your system for more than a month), get fired for being high at work, cannot get an employer to even look at them due to criminal record for possession of weed, maybe a kid dropped out of school due to the desire to constantly smoke weed rather than stay off the drug and get a job but now cannot do anything without a high school diploma and other such activities pertaining to weed consumption? I am sure if you speak to those who have been quite affected by smoking the drug they would say their life has been ruined.

I doubt they would say they compare to a cocaine addict and medically no they are not suffering from withdraw symptoms however the behavioral aspects associated with smoking weed are addictive. Ask any long time user, do they suffer from withdraw? no not at all, but do they crave that smoke when they can because they can? Do they look forward to getting home and "smoking a bowl"? Do they love the sensation and feelings that happen? Are they frequently engaging in smoking weed? Do they enjoy the aspects of getting high with friends? Do they think about it frequently? Do they crave doing it? If they do then there are some signs of an addiction. Addictions are not limited to hard drugs.

Weed will not kill society, people will themselves due to their own doing, but a dumb plant will not do that just as some alcohol will not kill society either. The difference lies in how people behave while under the influence of such substances. Consuming alcohol is not a recipe for drunken bar fights, that only happens if the person chooses to do so. The majority of those who are able to consume alcohol do so very responsibly. Same with marijuana, not all users are dead-end high school kids who think they are wicked awesome cool by getting high and causing trouble in the streets...most sit in their parent's basement playing xbox and eating chips. There are also some that use it for medical reasons and not for trouble seeking endeavors. Not all smokers are irresponsible but just like it is for alcohol all it takes is for someone else to lack common sense by doing something illegal or other such negative activity to cause a bad name for it. With alcohol there is regulation and an age limit, frankly I could care less if marijuana became legal as long as it had those same restrictions. However I have zero sympathy if someone who is high commits a crime and is caught by police. It does not matter if it is induced by alcohol or marijuana or anything else, if there is a crime committed while under the influence they deserve the full punishment of the law. Keep it in your own home and there will be no issues, take it into public such as public intoxication/public disturbance is with alcohol and you become deserving of any charge that may be laid.

A lot of money could be made off of the legalization though, I mean the number of users is very very high. I think I read recently a poll about 7 in 10 high school kids smoke it frequently lol, not sure where I read that though. Have the kids buy from a reputable safe source that does not contain laced product and that alone can make a lot of money. Have to figure out how to keep the dumb asses who are looking to stir trouble off the streets though, if more trouble is stirred then it may go back to being illegal should it ever be legalized.

Im basing it off that Ive been arrested 3 times and know what it means to destroy your life because of real drugs, not just weed. Anyways, with your examples:
1) Not hard to get around, just stop smoking weed for a few weeks. And Its not hard to bypass a drug test for a job. Most jobs use simple drug tests that you can just drink a lot of water and you will pass (Or use mouthwash if its a saliva test). I passed a drug test for walmart within a few days of smoking.
2) Simple solution. Dont be high at work if you cant work correctly high.
3) "cannot get an employer to even look at them due to criminal record for possession of weed" Would not be a problem if weed was legalized. No longer have a record for possession.
4) Who cares if you drop out? GED.

Weed only really destroys your life if its illegal, and you get caught with it. Legalize it, and it no longer destroys peoples lives.

Anyone who thinks weed is addictive, doesnt know what real addiction is. You're addicted to a drug when you do anything you have to just to get that feeling. Weed isnt like that. Someone wants to smoke weed, they dont need it just so that they can feel normal. Stoners dont steal just so they can smoke some weed.

There is no dealer who is stupid enough to sell laced weed. Its a waste of money for anyone to lace weed.

Sci_Girl
01-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Im basing it off that Ive been arrested 3 times and know what it means to destroy your life because of real drugs, not just weed.

Oh okay so personal experience. There are those who really have been ruined by their choice to consume marijuana who do not bother with hard drugs.

I passed a drug test for walmart within a few days of smoking.

lol I am sure WalMart would hire if the applicant was high during the interview. I was referring to an actual career job where the drug test does matter.

Simple solution. Dont be high at work if you cant work correctly high.

You would think it is a simple solution however it happens quite often. People still show up high, they should not for simple common sense sake but they do. If they are fired on the spot well boohoo should have thought that one out before going to work. Figure out how to inject some common sense into stoners and things will be fine. As for the "if you cannot work correctly high" then I am not sure if you know of the extent of effects that occur but those effects should not be paired with working, especially if it is certain types of work such as operating a vehicle or piece of machinery. The decrease reaction time is a big deal in some lines of work, the effect of distortion of time can be a big deal, lack of focus, memory loss, paranoia as well as anxiety can also be symptoms which can cause negative results in the workplace. Of course those who are high will say they do this or that 'better' when high however medically that is not the case, what would be causing the idea of doing something better is the impaired cognition. One believes they are better because they have convinced themselves to be not because they physically are. Same with alcohol, one can say all they want that they are "better drivers" when drunk but medically they could not be more wrong. The simply solution as you say is not to show up at work if one is high, but if they do then one should also not whine about being fired or have a temper tantrum that it is stupid that weed is not legal.

"cannot get an employer to even look at them due to criminal record for possession of weed" Would not be a problem if weed was legalized. No longer have a record for possession.

No it would not be a problem, but that relative fantasy life is not the current life so one must deal with the consequences.

Weed only really destroys your life if its illegal, and you get caught with it. Legalize it, and it no longer destroys peoples lives.

There are some who argue alcohol should be illegal but it is currently legal and it still destroys lives. If marijuana were to be legal who is to say the same response would not occur? Would you answer that based on personal experience again or as a collective whole of all the responsible and irresponsible stoners out there? Would more people drive while high? That decrease in reaction time makes it very dangerous to be driving and if the number of accidents due to driving under the influence of marijuana goes up then so does the number of lives destroyed. Or workplace injuries to add to the possible ruining of lives due to the impaired cognitive abilities from smoking marijuana. Alcohol is legal but if you are caught at work with alcohol in your possession or in your system off you go back home, or be fired in some cases...life possibly ruined in that case. Or you do something stupid out in public thanks to being under the influence of anything and you become arrested for such action...life possibly ruined. The current state is if it is illegal do not do it or you will be punished in some manner be it major or minor. One cannot pick and choose which laws to obey just because they do not like a certain law. One must live in this current life not a fantasy one, if they choose the fantasy life where no rules apply and they are caught then there should be no qualms about consequences. Until the state of illegal vs legal changes one must accept the current state of affairs. Should one choose to break the law then do so in the basement or away from the public...use some common sense about it and you will be fine.

Anyone who thinks weed is addictive, doesnt know what real addiction is. You're addicted to a drug when you do anything you have to just to get that feeling. Weed isnt like that. Someone wants to smoke weed, they dont need it just so that they can feel normal. Stoners dont steal just so they can smoke some weed.

Read up on psychological addictions. Oh and also the increase in dependence for long time users. Just because you personally may not feel an increased need or desire to seek out "smoking a bowl" does not mean others do not experience the same thing. There are those who can experience withdraw symptoms if they cannot smoke when they wanted to smoke, or they may require increased amounts of product to get an effect compared to other times. Addictions are still not limited to hard drugs or full out hospitalized withdraw symptoms.

There is no dealer who is stupid enough to sell laced weed. Its a waste of money for anyone to lace weed.

I have heard the main thing that happens is when a person tries a new dealer but lacing in general still does happen. A dealer does not need to lace everything or it would be a waste of money but put a little in their new clients first buy and suddenly the client believes that weed is far better than any they have ever gotten and they go back to that one dealer. Do that just a handful of times and now you have a client that will buy from no one else because the extra addiction is added. That is all it takes. The lacing product does not need to be something harsh like cocaine or anything either, it can be something from under the sink for all they care. All it needs is something slightly different, no matter how dangerous, to hook the new person to the new product. Then there are the dealers who do say their product is better because it has something better added, the new rise in this idea contains PCP. If one contains PCP without knowledge it can have some real dangerous results...but the user does not care they just wanted that better high they were promised. There are a lot of stupid dealers out there but there are more stupid users.

Josh
01-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Oh okay so personal experience. There are those who really have been ruined by their choice to consume marijuana who do not bother with hard drugs.

No one ruins their life because of weed unless they get caught with weed multiple times.

lol I am sure WalMart would hire if the applicant was high during the interview. I was referring to an actual career job where the drug test does matter.

Drug test always matters. Almost everywhere drug tests. No matter where at, if you fail, you dont get the job.

You would think it is a simple solution however it happens quite often. People still show up high, they should not for simple common sense sake but they do. If they are fired on the spot well boohoo should have thought that one out before going to work. Figure out how to inject some common sense into stoners and things will be fine. As for the "if you cannot work correctly high" then I am not sure if you know of the extent of effects that occur but those effects should not be paired with working, especially if it is certain types of work such as operating a vehicle or piece of machinery. The decrease reaction time is a big deal in some lines of work, the effect of distortion of time can be a big deal, lack of focus, memory loss, paranoia as well as anxiety can also be symptoms which can cause negative results in the workplace. Of course those who are high will say they do this or that 'better' when high however medically that is not the case, what would be causing the idea of doing something better is the impaired cognition. One believes they are better because they have convinced themselves to be not because they physically are. Same with alcohol, one can say all they want that they are "better drivers" when drunk but medically they could not be more wrong. The simply solution as you say is not to show up at work if one is high, but if they do then one should also not whine about being fired or have a temper tantrum that it is stupid that weed is not legal.

Lol. Based on your arguments, Im pretty sure you've never smoked. It is not hard to work high.

No it would not be a problem, but that relative fantasy life is not the current life so one must deal with the consequences.

But we are debating if it should be legalized. Legalize it, and its not longer a problem.

Read up on psychological addictions. Oh and also the increase in dependence for long time users. Just because you personally may not feel an increased need or desire to seek out "smoking a bowl" does not mean others do not experience the same thing. There are those who can experience withdraw symptoms if they cannot smoke when they wanted to smoke, or they may require increased amounts of product to get an effect compared to other times. Addictions are still not limited to hard drugs or full out hospitalized withdraw symptoms.

Im not talking psychological addictions. You can get addicted to wanting to be high all the time, but you dont constantly worry about how you are going to find money for weed so that you dont feel ill.

I have heard the main thing that happens is when a person tries a new dealer but lacing in general still does happen. A dealer does not need to lace everything or it would be a waste of money but put a little in their new clients first buy and suddenly the client believes that weed is far better than any they have ever gotten and they go back to that one dealer. Do that just a handful of times and now you have a client that will buy from no one else because the extra addiction is added. That is all it takes. The lacing product does not need to be something harsh like cocaine or anything either, it can be something from under the sink for all they care. All it needs is something slightly different, no matter how dangerous, to hook the new person to the new product. Then there are the dealers who do say their product is better because it has something better added, the new rise in this idea contains PCP. If one contains PCP without knowledge it can have some real dangerous results...but the user does not care they just wanted that better high they were promised. There are a lot of stupid dealers out there but there are more stupid users.

Now, back to reality, anyone who smokes weed will know when its laced. If someone laced my weed with pcp or coke, they would get jumped within an hour. You dont pull that shit and get away with it.

Oh and stuff from under the sink? Are you kidding me? Lol. Thats destroying a product.

jaedyn32
01-16-2013, 04:51 PM
i am for it it would make everyone much happier and more relaxed. perfect all natural nerve medicine.

kgs
02-01-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm from a state that recently legalized.
I'm actually against it.
I'm a pretty scientifically minded person and I would like to see more studies on the long term effects of regular pot use first.
Just from personal observations, it seems like it does have some sort of long term effect
And I know studies have shown that it can permanently damage the brains of teens - whose brains are still developing - if they use it.
Sure regulations can say that you can only smoke if you are over 21, but legalizing will make it more available under the table for those under 21

Toasted
02-01-2013, 05:31 PM
My username probably tells all of you how I feel.

My husband is part of the NORML chapter here in SC, and his lawyer is one of the leading members.

Soooo...yep. Legalize. :rolleyes:

moonrash
02-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Sorry, thread's a week old.

So I'm from Canada. The cops here are pretty lax about smoking weed, but they'll still bust you for growing it for distribution, etc. Now, I've smoked before, several times, but only socially. I've never had my own to smoke, and it usually only happens when I'm drunk. I don't anymore though, as an agreement with the bf, and he won't smoke cigs. Fair enough.

I don't really like the thought of it being completely legal, like cigarettes. I guess it's for weird reasons too.

Firstly, I usually like the smell. But if someone walks past me and I get HIT in the face with it, it can be a little nasty. I can imagine how this is for people who hate the smell of it. I hate cigarettes as well, I hate their smell, and I hate the fact that they're as legal and accepted as they are. I can picture a future where weed is as widely accepted, but I can also picture a future where people are growing it faster and faster, and the stuff is a little less potent, making me like it a little more.

Secondly, I don't like STONERS. Like people who smoke everyday, snoop style, having like "72" joints in a day or whatever, and always being fried. Those people suck. Their brains are in constant derp mode and I don't like them, and the average person wouldn't like them. I don't like people who talk about weed out of context "Haha I'm so frieddd mannnn", I think it should be treated like cigarettes, and you don't talk about it, you just do it. Simply because it's obnoxious, and it's not like anyone couldn't tell from how badly you smell of it. Imagine if people treated cigarettes like that. "Oh man I just had the best cig a minute ago, I'm so relaxeddd"... no. Stupid. Go home. Don't make shit weird. lol

I don't think I'll really like it until it's treated more like it is in the Netherlands. Everyone is still pretty weird about it, in most places. Where I live it's pretty normal though, most people just smoke, or have smoked it. Until that stigma goes away........ yeah.

Oh, and I'm all for decriminalizing it, I suppose. If someone is walking down the street and the cops stop to "say hi", and they smell weed on the poor guy, he shouldn't be searched or questioned FURTHER, FOR that reason. But if someone is stumbling down the street, and they smell like weed, that might we reason enough to search the person, because there could be something else going on there.
But there's always the bad cop who hates weed, and would search the person anyway, accusing them of stumbling when there's no proof etc....
Sooo, I dunno. It's kind of a weird area.

I also think that jobs shouldn't allow "cigarette breaks" in between normal breaks while on shift. I don't smoke cigs, I don't get extra breaks to get fresh air outside, how is that fair? My thought process with this is, if weed is legalized, then will employers have the right to send you home or fire you if you smell like weed? Will they be allowed to smoke weed on their cig breaks???
If it's LEGAL, do they have any right to tell you you're not allowed? I suppose they might, considering alcohol is legal but you can't be drunk or drinking at work.... although you can't be publically intoxicated, either. What about a law where you can't be publically stoned? lol.

And then what about driving? Someone who is fucking fried IS going to be impaired behind the wheel, but how does one guage how stoned you are? How would that work? And then the whole issue with insurance. Alcohol is one thing, even I've driven while I was past the point of being buzzed, but I KNEW better...... imagine how long it will take people to get the same mindset with weed? They won't KNOW better at first. I dunno.

I could ramble forever.

/useless post

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

I agree with you it really should be legalized. I think less people would smoke it because some people just do it to break the law. To look cool. But how would you look cool if everyone could do it. Those are my thoughts

Well cigarettes are legal, 13 year olds still start smoking even if their parents and everyone around them does, trying to be cool.... I don't think that reasoning works :P

marianokt
05-17-2013, 12:06 PM
I'm in favor of legalizing drugs. It's just as simple as drugs are accesible enough so that anyone who want to try one will be able to. The problem es distribution and drug dealing. Drug dealing needs to be stopped and the only way it can be done is by legalizing drugs distribution

Jolz
05-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Drug dealing needs to be stopped and the only way it can be done is by legalizing drugs distribution

If drugs become legal, shops will start selling them, thus making the shops now the "dealers." Once this happens, the government will tax the holy shit out of them which will create a black market for cheaper drugs, also to make them cheaper, the black market dealers will start cutting/mixing them with other shit to lower the price and make more profit so the problem will actually get worse.

Also, where do you draw the line? Drugs are illegal. Weed, is a drug but so is cocaine, meth and heroin. All drugs legal or just weed? In which case someone would want weed legalized purely on the fact they smoke it. You can easily grow white poppies and make opium does that make opium fair game to say "legalize it."

A main argument most weed smokers say is that it is natural as it comes from a plant, and all they do is stay doors, smoke weed instead of going out getting drunk and fighting.

Heroin come from white poppies. Its a plant so its natural, and heroin addicts stay doors and get high instead of going out getting drunk and fighting.

Just because someone does/likes something doesn't mean it should be fine for the rest of the public. I'd make all pop music illegal but I don't think that would be best for everyone else because it will start underground clubs for people to listen to it.

Not everything is as simple as saying "legalize it and the problem will go away" as in most cases it makes the problem much much worse.

If you want to smoke it, fine, go for it, I really don't care, I have friends who smoke it. It's just not for me.

Poe
06-05-2013, 04:55 PM
I preffer Mushrooms and Trombeta, but I would not want to legalize entheogens because it would become just a superfluous thing like that ordinary "drugs".

SugarCoated
06-06-2013, 03:35 AM
Already a thread on this. [Only registered and activated users can see links]
^
What happened to this? lol

With regard to this issue. I believe that marijuana is safe as long as its used in moderation. In one of the studies I've read, cigarette smoking and/or alcohol drinking is even more addictive than smoking pot. Plus there are medical advantages in the use of this drug such as in the case of relieving anxiety. Furthermore, there are no signs and symptoms of withdrawal in relation to use of the drug whereas alcoholism and cigarette smoking have very evident withdrawal signs. If this drug will be legalized then I believe that there will be cheaper and more accessible ways of buying marijuana hence will decrease crime rates related like robbery or theft and increase in successful cases in relieving pain and anxiety in hospital patients.

On the other hand if we legalize the free use of this drug, there will be an increase rate of stoned driving and related dangers. Also, the drug is known to be the "stepping-stone drug" or the "gateway drug" to other more dangerous drugs like coke, heroin, etc. In effect, it will open an opportunity to further legalize these other drugs. Also if we'd allow it to legalize, there is an increased risk that marijuana users will include the younger age brackets as it will be much easier to obtain pot.

In most cases tho, people who use pot only use it for recreational purposes. It's pretty much like smoking a cigarette plus the benefits of getting high. I can't see any reason why not legalize the use of marijuana as long as the government could present a bill wherein pros outweigh the cons.

I'd say I'm 70% pro-30% con.

cloudxcrash
06-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Still against legalizing. Cannabis is the gate to even heavier drugs. People always want more and more, doesn't matter what you give them 'cause they'll always be screaming for more. Enough should be enough! We already have to deal with the damage caused by another shitty legalized drug (alcohol), we don't need a second drug to add to the pot. A healthy people are people who are sober during their productive hours. No society would function if the citizens walked around drunk or high all days long. But I guess legalizing cannabis would make the people taking the drug think it's not all losery.

XRBurton
06-11-2013, 04:15 PM
I dont really care either way. I think we should though because we are wasting sooo much fucking money on the War on Drugs...

Amxs
06-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Ditto with above me, I don't take drugs nor will not unless prescribed to me but if there wasn't such a massive deal made on the lower risk drugs, countries could save millions..

Toasted
06-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Still against legalizing. Cannabis is the gate to even heavier drugs. People always want more and more, doesn't matter what you give them 'cause they'll always be screaming for more. Enough should be enough! We already have to deal with the damage caused by another shitty legalized drug (alcohol), we don't need a second drug to add to the pot. A healthy people are people who are sober during their productive hours. No society would function if the citizens walked around drunk or high all days long. But I guess legalizing cannabis would make the people taking the drug think it's not all losery.

Whoa, maybe D.A.R.E in middle school taught you this, but Cannabis is /not/ a 'gateway' drug.

People who say that smoking herb made them want to try _______ (insert drug here) are lying-- as far as I'm concerned.

I've not yet, in nearly 24 years on this planet, met someone that snorts coke or shoots up heroin that said "it all started when I began smoking weed..."
And believe me; as someone who has tried every drug (excluding heroin, meth, and bath salts), I didn't try them /because/ I smoked pot first.

People just go down bad roads.

Personally, I tried mushrooms after I smoked weed-- but that was 5 years after I had already been smoking.
I was curious, and it was my birthday. I had seen friends do it, so I wanted to experience it for myself since it looked so fun.

THAT'S what causes people to move up the 'drug-ladder', per se. The people around you primarily, and of course your own choices.

And I could type on and on about the medicinal benefits of marijuana, as well as some of the other drugs created.

Did you know that LSD (acid) was originally intended by Albert Hoffman to be made into a drug for elderly people?
He stumbled upon it's components by accident, and the effects of the LSD kicked in on his bikeride home one day.
He was fine, lol, and made it home after his experience to record the results! :P

Annnyway, pot's pot.

It's not a gateway-- your friends, acquaintances, and ability to control yourself are the reason you try harder drugs.

"No society would function if the citizens walked around drunk or high all days long." - You

Really?

As a single mother who recently dealt with a miscarriage, suicide, divorce, and bankruptcy....who ONLY smokes pot....

I'll admit I get things done every day because there's a glass jar full of one of the most beautiful specimens of plant in my room that keeps me sane and active.
Otherwise, I'd be a depressed and shitty mother who would lay around all day sad about my life and losses.
Who needs that shit? haha

I refuse to take anti-depressants, or any other pharmaceuticals except advil and the basics, maybe painkillers once in a while if Im aching.
(Did you know one of xanax's (a major-selling anti-depressant) side effects is suicide? lol)

Long story short....

I'd say we legalize pot, raise and enforce the drinking age, and punch cigarettes in the face! B)

Hinth
06-25-2013, 12:00 PM

Not to be overly combative but I disagree with your post because you made several blanket statements and hypothetical scenarios that may or may not be true. Personally, I am still on the fence regarding marijuana legalization because as a relatively unbiased observer, I understand that each side has numerous reasonable arguments that successfully argues for their respective view. I don't want to take a firm stance yet, but I only wish people would attempt to be as objective as possible when discussing a topic as controversial as this. My two cents.

Jolz
06-28-2013, 04:09 AM
I'd say we legalize pot, raise and enforce the drinking age, and punch cigarettes in the face! B)

woooah, leave smoking and drinking about of this. Do you realize the amount of medical benefits red wine and Guinness have? They are both recommended to pregnant women and Jack Daniels to the father to help deal with the pregnant women.

|2eap
06-28-2013, 04:23 AM
Not gonna bother to state a point. its an ongoing debate. i'll just say what I support which is the decriminalization of marijuana.

Magikarp
06-28-2013, 05:10 AM
I agree with both sides but I'm for legalizing.

Look at how much people do it illegally.
That's like untapped resources for taxing the shit out of people.
I'm all in for cheap weed but look at how much money That could make by taxing all these peeps

Jolz
06-28-2013, 05:21 AM
I agree with both sides but I'm for legalizing.

Look at how much people do it illegally.
That's like untapped resources for taxing the shit out of people.
I'm all in for cheap weed but look at how much money That could make by taxing all these peeps

I did post this as a previous reply but I'll repost as it still fits.

If drugs become legal, shops will start selling them, thus making the shops now the "dealers." Once this happens, the government will tax the holy shit out of them which will create a black market for cheaper drugs, also to make them cheaper, the black market dealers will start cutting/mixing them with other shit to lower the price and make more profit so the problem will actually get worse.

Also, where do you draw the line? Drugs are illegal. Weed, is a drug but so is cocaine, meth and heroin. All drugs legal or just weed? In which case someone would want weed legalized purely on the fact they smoke it. You can easily grow white poppies and make opium does that make opium fair game to say "legalize it."

A main argument most weed smokers say is that it is natural as it comes from a plant, and all they do is stay doors, smoke weed instead of going out getting drunk and fighting.

Heroin come from white poppies. Its a plant so its natural, and heroin addicts stay doors and get high instead of going out getting drunk and fighting.

Just because someone does/likes something doesn't mean it should be fine for the rest of the public. I'd make all pop music illegal but I don't think that would be best for everyone else because it will start underground clubs for people to listen to it.

Not everything is as simple as saying "legalize it and the problem will go away" as in most cases it makes the problem much much worse.

Magikarp
06-28-2013, 05:45 AM
So then why doesn't Amsterdam have these problems. Weed is taxed there I believe yet you can get them anywhere just like how we can get a cup of coffee anywhere. If it's anywhere i do t think there's gonna be a black market

drd
06-28-2013, 06:43 AM

No matter what you do there will always be a black market for cheaper drugs. If you were talking about hard addictive substances, maybe cutting would be an issue, but with pot I don't see how it would be. Marijuana is called weed because it is a weed, it grows easily and is literally dirt cheap to produce... Probably even cheaper than anything you could cut it with. Plus it's actually worse right now as they are selling 'fake weed' (look up K12 incense if you haven't heard of it) over the counter, which is actually just random plant matter sprayed with chemicals. I severely doubt there would be a market for this crap if you could just buy bud. Bottom line, though, people should have the right to smoke it if they choose, same as alcohol. It's just simply not justified to tell people they can't do that when alcohol is worse in so many ways, I mean pot is literally devoid of any real danger,.

Draw the line at weed. Simple as that. When your dealing with dangerous substances like cocaine, meth, and heroin, that's a given. But weed is not dangerous, period. And besides people that smoke it are not the only ones who want it legalized, there are plenty of others out there that want it for medicinal or political reasons (like stimulating the economy immensely), ect. I'm sure you've heard all this but I'm just saying, there's a lot more to it than a bunch of potheads wanting to get a buzz.

Actually morphine comes from white poppies, heroin is synthesized from morphine, so not so much a plant as a chemical. Plus, once heroin addicts run out they also go to extreme measures to get more. I don't see how you can logically compare the two (besides the fact that their both drugs, obviously). Apples and oranges.

And having weed illegal creates organized crime... sounds a bit worse than underground pop clubs.

If anyone actually said that everything were that simple, I would have to agree with you, and slap that person. But when it comes to legalizing pot, yes it would make it a lot better.
The only reason there is a black market and organized crime surrounding weed is because it's illegal. It's also a huge untapped market that a large majority of the US (and most other countries for that matter) spends money on regularly and if it were taxed it would stimulate the economy tremendously. Not only that but it would create millions (if not more) jobs.
Honestly I can't think of one logically bad thing about it, as opposed to how things are now...

Kay
06-28-2013, 06:47 AM

this exactly. I have see members of my family use it, and it helps them alot and is even a deterrent to the growth of cancer cells. The only reason people are aganst it is because its illegal right now.

DarkByte
06-28-2013, 06:51 AM
I say legalize it. It brings it so much money off taxes ect and not just from the weed sales , the glass industry for e.g sees a boost from the bong creation. Or the hydroponic industry sees a boost and probably dominoes too. It is addictive though and don't let anyone tell you different. Anything that alters your mind state is addictive.

Miri
06-28-2013, 06:53 AM

"Since then, numerous other studies have failed to support the gateway idea. Every year, the federal government funds two huge surveys on drug use in the population. Over and over they find that the number of people who try marijuana dwarfs that for cocaine or heroin. For example, in 2009, 2.3 million people reported trying pot � compared with 617,000 who tried cocaine and 180,000 who tried heroin."

You should read up on what happened to Portugal when they legalized all drug use...

we don't need a second drug to add to the pot.
I see what you did there

drd
06-28-2013, 07:09 AM
I say legalize it. It brings it so much money off taxes ect and not just from the weed sales , the glass industry for e.g sees a boost from the bong creation. Or the hydroponic industry sees a boost and probably dominoes too. It is addictive though and don't let anyone tell you different. Anything that alters your mind state is addictive.

That's a great point... I hadn't even thought about all the boost the rest of the market would get as a result of legalization. People will not only be needing more agricultural equipment for producing it but companies that sell pipes, ect. will no longer be stigmatized and will be able to open up to a much broader market than just the internet and smoke shops.
And yea I agree with you that it's addictive, but there's a major difference between mental and physical addiction. You won't actually have physical withdrawals from pot. Any drug has it's down sides, this one just happens to have the least amount of down sides of any other known drug and somehow is not legal xD

Mod
06-28-2013, 07:10 AM
Hey, hey. Be nice now.

This is a debate section for structured, thought-provoking arguments without an absolute correct answer (or else it wouldn't be a debate), and with freedom to speak your mind - as long as it does not infringe on the freedom of others. Be respectful of others' opinions as they would to yours; this is not a flame or shut-down section.

/Mod out

Jolz
06-28-2013, 07:35 AM

I agree it would help the ecommany with taxes. I can't deny that but I still think a stronger black market would be made for cheaper weed.

Drizzy
06-28-2013, 07:41 AM
No need for anyone to be a dick
Post your arguments, no personal attacks guys

Kay
06-28-2013, 07:45 AM
I posted that because this isnt the only board he's doing it on and i'm not the only person aggrevated by him. I just have the balls to say something.

Jolz
06-28-2013, 07:47 AM
I posted that because this isnt the only board he's doing it on and i'm not the only person aggrevated by him. I just have the balls to say something.

Then tell Drizzy what I have done that has upset you so it can be dealt with correctly

drd
06-28-2013, 07:47 AM
I agree it would help the ecommany with taxes. I can't deny that but I still think a stronger black market would be made for cheaper weed.

Think about alcohol prohibition in the U.S.
In short:
The government tried to make alcohol illegal>which than spawned organized crime>which got so bad it led back to the re legalization of alcohol.
And within a few years a black market for alcohol ceased to exist.
Just like alcohol, in fact even more so, weed is dirt cheap to produce.
Therefore there wouldn't be any demand for a black market if you didn't have a lot of money you would just buy the cheap stuff from the store, just like alcohol.

Jolz
06-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Think about alcohol prohibition in the U.S.
In short:
The government tried to make alcohol illegal>which than spawned organized crime>which got so bad it led back to the re legalization of alcohol.
And within a few years a black market for alcohol ceased to exist.
Just like alcohol, in fact even more so, weed is dirt cheap to produce.
Therefore there wouldn't be any demand for a black market if you didn't have a lot of money you would just buy the cheap stuff from the store, just like alcohol.

I do see your point but I suppose unless it actually does be legal no one really knows for sure

drd
06-28-2013, 08:01 AM
I do see your point but I suppose unless it actually does be legal no one really knows for sure
Well recently a few bills passed that makes it completely legal in Colorado & Washington (which have both been very prosperous from the medical market so far). But it'll be a few years before we can see how it works out exactly.

Kay
06-28-2013, 08:57 PM
I think Obama needs to actually do something besides cut jobs in this country - imagine all the new jobs from cultivating and growing marijuana, not to mention the taxes like everyone else has mentioned. Marijuana can boost people medically and in the long run, financially. There would be no reason for this "black market" as you say because it would be cheap, but with taxes. Overseas there is so much less crime and people are so much happier, there are so many reasons it should be legal. Driving under the influence of it of course should still be illegal, but recreational use like alcohol would be fine. Coffee shops would also be lovely.

hayleyrenea
06-28-2013, 10:23 PM
My point is, I've heard several people dying from cigarettes, but I've never actually heard of anyone dying from smoking pot... To me it's like alcohol; you can abuse it, yes, but if moderate it and us it the way it should be, it's no more harmful than having a beer at a party or something. Not to mention the economical effects everyone have mentioned! I've often thought of legalizing marijuana as a way to bring the US out of this recession it's in. I'm all for it.

Oh, may I also point out that I do not use the drug, do not ever plan on it whether it's legal or not - I just think it should be legalized. I don't smoke, either, but cigarettes are legal.

Josh
06-28-2013, 10:58 PM
I did post this as a previous reply but I'll repost as it still fits.

Odd because alcohol is a drug, and I dont see a black market selling cheaper alcohol. What it WOULD create is major companies trying to have lower prices then their competitors. Meaning it wouldnt be worth it for their to be a "black market" since most drug dealers would have no chance at selling weed for as cheap as major companies while still making a profit.

And cutting/mixing other shit? We are talking about weed. Not coke or heroin. You cant cut weed with anything without pissing off all your buyers (If you add basil or something to your weed, they are gonna know)

I wouldn't put weed in the same category as heroin and coke. No where close. No one robs a store because they dont have their weed. Ive been locked up a few times (Not just spent the night in jail, i mean months at a time), and every time theres always someone in the intake unit puking for days because they dont have their heroin. You dont get withdrawal from weed. You dont feel like you are in pain constantly like you do when you withdrawal from heroin.

If you keep weed illegal, why is alcohol legal?

Jolz
06-29-2013, 03:02 AM
Odd because alcohol is a drug, and I dont see a black market selling cheaper alcohol. What it WOULD create is major companies trying to have lower prices then their competitors. Meaning it wouldnt be worth it for their to be a "black market" since most drug dealers would have no chance at selling weed for as cheap as major companies while still making a profit.

And cutting/mixing other shit? We are talking about weed. Not coke or heroin. You cant cut weed with anything without pissing off all your buyers (If you add basil or something to your weed, they are gonna know)

I wouldn't put weed in the same category as heroin and coke. No where close. No one robs a store because they dont have their weed. Ive been locked up a few times (Not just spent the night in jail, i mean months at a time), and every time theres always someone in the intake unit puking for days because they dont have their heroin. You dont get withdrawal from weed. You dont feel like you are in pain constantly like you do when you withdrawal from heroin.

If you keep weed illegal, why is alcohol legal?

I'm not debating with anyone about weed any more because apparently I have severely upset someone (not you) in doing so because I don't agree with legalizing weed and I posted my opinion about it.

bml0624
06-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Let me toss out a few controversial opinions.

On Cigarettes: Yes, they are obviously bad for you and dangerous to your health. But, they are taxed significantly to offset the cost to society of smoking while the government receives massive (yes, massive) tax revenue from them. If you go after cigarettes and cigars, we could lose a mainstream source of revenue.

On Marijuana: I used to smoke the stuff and will consider using it again in the future, but I know for a fact that it tends (tends, not in every case) to make people lazy, uncaring slobs. I don't care if it is legalized, but I am tired of seeing it OVERLY glamorized. When you are smoking it, you are still inhaling burning plant matter which isn't very good for you. Yes, it can cause cancer in the throat/lungs from smoking it. I advocate providing a disincentive for smoking it and instead partaking in edibles.

On Alcohol: There is quite the black market for alcohol whether you notice it or not. Moonshine in Appalachia is alive and well. They can make $200k+ a year from 5-6 stills. I tend to see the moonshine quite often (but I live on the edge of the suburbs/country.) I believe alcohol IS the most dangerous drug and one of the more addictive ones. People ostracize drugs like opium and anxiety medication but have no problem drinking until what is left of their brains is no more. Personally, smoking opium > consuming alcohol but I won't argue it isn't addictive. A glass of red wine is great with foie gras though!

Either way, go ahead and legalize it, it makes no difference in my life. I support it.

Elmo
06-29-2013, 12:11 PM
I've never touched it myself but know people who smoke it regularly. I'm personally for legalizing it, as I believe alcohol is a lot worse and that is so easily available and is constantly "on offer".

DarkByte
06-30-2013, 06:22 AM
You only end up in the gutter, if you live your life on the curb,
Or if you choose to take it one step further then the herb,
The shit is gettin worse, it's always been like this,
Lifes a game of give an take an people take the right piss,
I've seen a most self-righteous a man fall off the wagon, and start chasing the dragon,
It's funny how now there the ones with the problem,
Look how much their big fuckin mouths have gone and cost them,
Used to be the type that looked down on man,
Now their inhaling toxins through a biro and,
It's ironic don't you think that 5 years back the same cats are now on crack,
They didn't even used to drink now there the missing links,
In the world of wasted talent, could of been great now there just making up the balance,
Musicans, artists, writers, authours, Gymnasts athletes footballers,
Bare peeps I used to know that could of turned pro now the only game they play is the one on road,
Wether it be drug pushin shopliftin or prostitution,
Some sort of instution seems like the only solution,
Stop the manor lookin like some kinda mardi gradis,
This guy shottin on the corner askin if you wanna party,
It's narsty, drivin through the ends it's like a safari,
Don't get out of your car unless you got crackhead kamakazi

Double.Trouble
07-09-2013, 01:37 AM
I'm not a fan of marijuana. I've done it before as well as many other drugs but I never liked the smell or the feeling it left on my throat.

I see the reasons for and against it, but I'm personally against it. I don't think the majority of people are responsible enough for such a thing.

Yani
07-09-2013, 02:59 AM
I have terrible trouble sleeping. I can be extremely physically exhausted, and I won't be able to fall asleep. And with my long, illustrious history with many drugs, I don't even trust myself with sleeping pills. So when it gets really bad, I'll buy a dime and smoke maybe half a bowl, and it'll knock me right out. I don't smoke it to "get high," or "calm myself down." Nah son, I just use it for bedtime. Marijuana just makes me sleepy. And I'm glad it's getting legalized because I'd rather not get in trouble for trying to go to sleep.

Kera
07-10-2013, 09:13 PM
I love the fact that here in California I was able to just go down to one Doctor I found online, and told him what was wrong (Lack of Sleep, Back Pains, and Depression) and he gave me my card. GRANTED, I did have to pay for it... but I've finally been able to get great nights of sleep, my back is feeling 100% better and I'm rarely depressed now.

It's a great thing to have that does help people out. I don't understand why people are so against it, but they'll go out drinking with their friends or whatever. I've never tried anything else to help me (or even just for the hell of it like some of my friends have.) As far as I know, no one has died from marijuana. Plenty of people have died from other drugs and/or alcohol. :/

Kay
07-11-2013, 10:20 AM
I don't understand either! It has so many benefits not just for individuals but also, financially for this country. So many people smoke weed and if taxed could boost our economy alot.

drd
07-13-2013, 06:33 AM
I'm not a fan of marijuana. I've done it before as well as many other drugs but I never liked the smell or the feeling it left on my throat.
I see the reasons for and against it, but I'm personally against it. I don't think the majority of people are responsible enough for such a thing.

That may be true but 1. I really don't see why that should be the governments call. and 2. the pros of legalization severely out way the cons. Whether or not someone likes it/does it or not I think it's important to focus on it from a political standpoint, no matter who you are. You seem like your against it more because of personal hang ups, which can be pretty detrimental to a nation when we have people voting against it just because they don't like the smell or the feeling in their throat.
It's simply not going to have much of an impact on how things are now, if it were legal you wouldn't suddenly like it, would you? It's come to the point where it doesn't have much social stigma attached to it anymore, so to me it really doesn't seem like it would have a huge impact (if any) on the amount of people doing it, driving on it, ect.

Jolz
07-13-2013, 07:42 AM
That may be true but 1. I really don't see why that should be the governments call. and 2. the pros of legalization severely out way the cons. Whether or not someone likes it/does it or not I think it's important to focus on it from a political standpoint, no matter who you are. You seem like your against it more because of personal hang ups, which can be pretty detrimental to a nation when we have people voting against it just because they don't like the smell or the feeling in their throat.
It's simply not going to have much of an impact on how things are now, if it were legal you wouldn't suddenly like it, would you? It's come to the point where it doesn't have much social stigma attached to it anymore, so to me it really doesn't seem like it would have a huge impact (if any) on the amount of people doing it, driving on it, ect.

Dude, it's his opinion... let him have it. No need to go so defensive.

drd
07-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Dude, it's his opinion... let him have it. No need to go so defensive.

I'm all for people having their own opinion, but is this not the debate section? He gave his opinion, I gave mine. Is that out of line somehow?

Jolz
07-13-2013, 08:25 AM
I'm all for people having their own opinion, but is this not the debate section? He gave his opinion, I gave mine. Is that out of line somehow?

You didn't really give an opinion you did a "you're wrong, I'm right and this is why"

but what ever, you are getting defensive with me now so, let's just leave it there shall we?

Josh
07-13-2013, 04:28 PM
You didn't really give an opinion you did a "you're wrong, I'm right and this is why"

but what ever, you are getting defensive with me now so, let's just leave it there shall we?

Would be the definition of debating...

Jolz
07-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Would be the definition of debating...

Debate -

a formal discussion on a particular matter in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward and which usually ends with a vote

Slamming on someone for posting an opinion is not a debate.

But since you like your definitions, here is one that fits said topic.

Bully -

use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force them to do something

See the difference?

IndigoSunset
07-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Debate -

a formal discussion on a particular matter in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward and which usually ends with a vote

Slamming on someone for posting an opinion is not a debate.

But since you like your definitions, here is one that fits said topic.

Bully -

use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force them to do something

See the difference?
I think you're overreacting a fair bit here. It's the debate section, if you post an opinion you should be prepared to have someone disagree with you. drd's post attacked the arguments not the person which is exactly how a sensible debate should be conducted.

Nath
07-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Everyone's entitled to their opinion and this is the debate section, but let's keep it as friendly as a debate can be folks :)

Bailey
07-13-2013, 06:21 PM
I am personally not a fan of pot, I've never tried it and haven't wanted to. My dad smoked it all the time and it just doesn't seem too appealing, however living in Washington State since it's now legal here(which i did not vote for)I am not against it being legal or people doing it as long as measures are in place to test drivers who are under the influence of it, which there is no real way at the moment. I think once people know how to see if you've been smoking recently or two weeks ago then I think it's a great idea for states to make extra income on the tax of it.