PDA

View Full Version : New Support Hero for OW2: Kiriko

Ice
09-21-2022, 06:36 PM
I might be the only one around these parts who still enjoys playing and cares about Overwatch but recently we received more lovely content regarding the newest hero to be added, Kiriko! She is an utterly badass looking hybrid support player (Moira mains rise up) with high mobility who heals over time with homing ofuda and can projectile attack with kunai. Her lore is also really cute and the fact that she grew up with the Shimada bros (her mom trained them!) means there will be tons of fun voice lines and interactions. As a (shitty) support main I am extremely pumped and cannot wait to try her out! So far she does look insanely op (her suzu ability + ult are pretty disgusting) but most heroes are at launch, so I'm sure she'll be nerfed as we go. :p

OW1 officially goes down on 10/2 and OW2 will be up on 10/4, if I remember correctly. Anyone going to try out OW2? Thoughts on Kiriko?

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Houndoom
09-21-2022, 06:44 PM
Ok I know literally nothing about OW, but the image on the origin story was super cute so I watched that! I love love love the watercolor-y style they used for the first part of that video.
Ice - is she something that you'll end up using?

fool
09-21-2022, 06:47 PM
I loved overwatch, but ifits not going to be f2p after I shell out 40-60 bucks -- I'm not playing ovw2

Also I cant find it but there was a post I saw on tumblr that s like "overwatch diversity machine creaking and groaning until if finally spits out a third Japanese ninja character"
I'm not impressed :I but I am truly a pessimist

Juna
09-21-2022, 06:50 PM
I loved overwatch, but ifits not going to be f2p after I shell out 40-60 bucks -- I'm not playing ovw2

Also I cant find it but there was a post I saw on tumblr that s like "overwatch diversity machine creaking and groaning until if finally spits out a third Japanese ninja character"
I'm not impressed :I but I am truly a pessimist

I think its f2p if you already own Overwatch 1, no? And the $40 price tag is for the PVE content which is soo lame.

Ember
09-21-2022, 06:54 PM
I just wish it has a playable story mode for all these backstories they made for the characters in OW1...

Zenitsu
09-21-2022, 06:58 PM
Houndoom You're not alone! I have never played Overwatch either, but will give it a try. :P
Ice That's literally you! She is cute! I like the lore and I think her voice sounds really good personally. :$ Design of the character model, her voice, and the background! It has a nice ring to it.

Ice
09-21-2022, 07:41 PM
Houndoom haha yeah her character design and backstory are adorable! T_T Also for sure, I will probably suck at her because her kunai seem to be like Zen's orbs and well as all my friends know I play Moira because I can't aim so πŸ˜‚ it'll be really fun to try her out though!

fool I think they're going battle pass mode for pvp - which is something I've actually personally not experienced before but you can unlock seasonal stuff by ranking up in the battle pass and then there will be a premium battle pass you pay for that has nicer skins and stuff in it. I'm not one to care about cosmetics really in the game but there was also some talk (not sure if it was confirmed or just rumors haven't looked into it) that some of the new heroes in later seasons will be unlockable via the battle pass which in and of itself is whack but... Blizzard, man. =_=

Ember you and everyone else T_T it's so sad that OW heroes and the overarching worldbuilding have such interesting backgrounds and so much potential and they flubbed it so hard. I am disgusted to be name-related to Blizzard tbh. 😞

Zenitsu Play with me!!! I think it would be hilarious πŸ˜‚ there are definitely some heroes that are lower skill level (cough like I play) so it's not that hard to get into :)

Houndoom
09-21-2022, 07:47 PM
Ice - I understood very little of what you said cause idk what a Zen or Moira is, but I also certainly can't aim either ahaha. Maybe one day I'll play with you but it'll be a lot of me figuring out which way is up and down and then getting killed when I'm reading item descriptions lmao
In the past I've enjoyed battlepasses in the games I've played! (mostly mobas) but I also really enjoy cute skins and am happy to pay for them if they're nice enough heh

Cinnamoroll
09-21-2022, 08:58 PM
Cat Purrson it’s my time to shine. A new support person I can learn to heal with πŸ˜‚πŸ˜­

We gonna play OW2 when it drops??

Cat Purrson
09-21-2022, 09:18 PM
Cat Purrson it’s my time to shine. A new support person I can learn to heal with πŸ˜‚πŸ˜­

We gonna play OW2 when it drops??

omggg yes I saw her she looks super cool! We are absolutely playing when it comes out!

Zer0
10-04-2022, 09:25 PM
I think its f2p if you already own Overwatch 1, no? And the $40 price tag is for the PVE content which is soo lame.

It is actually f2p for everyone now. You can choose to pay for Overwatch 2's Watchpoint pack which gives you some goodies and season 1 battlepass. I am in the middle when it comes to the idea of the game becoming f2p. On one hand, it would make the community larger. On the other hand, I feel like it might worsen the overall quality of players (toxic community, worse teammates overall).

As for Kiriko, I think she is a very interesting character, but I don't see her being used much as a support. She seems to be a more healing oriented Genji, and I am not sure the idea of a "support Genji" would work. From what I recall, they said they made her in attempts to get people support more. I do like her skills and the lore behind her.

Also RIP the huge queue for Overwatch 2. I got off work and checked with my friend who got off work earlier than me. She said she waited for 2 hours and couldn't queue in.

Ice
10-04-2022, 09:42 PM
It is actually f2p for everyone now. You can choose to pay for Overwatch 2's Watchpoint pack which gives you some goodies and season 1 battlepass. I am in the middle when it comes to the idea of the game becoming f2p. On one hand, it would make the community larger. On the other hand, I feel like it might worsen the overall quality of players (toxic community, worse teammates overall).

As for Kiriko, I think she is a very interesting character, but I don't see her being used much as a support. She seems to be a more healing oriented Genji, and I am not sure the idea of a "support Genji" would work. From what I recall, they said they made her in attempts to get people support more. I do like her skills and the lore behind her.

Also RIP the huge queue for Overwatch 2. I got off work and checked with my friend who got off work earlier than me. She said she waited for 2 hours and couldn't queue in.

Interesting point you make about the overall quality of players going down - I think in the long run no matter what it will even out (hardcore players will continue to play hardcore and your mmr will hopefully match you appropriately) but I am overall glad to make it more accessible for people, I think, even to just try out once or twice. I love OW a lot and if more people can play it for free and possibly come to enjoy it as much as me, then I'm happy for it.

I played Kiriko a decent amount since I ended up in support queue most often and her healing is fairly interesting; from watching my friends play her vs me I can see how she has that dps potential but for me who is more of a traditional main support kind of player (aside from my balls to the walls battle Moira-ing) I had difficulty making sure I stayed alive to keep everyone else alive haha. That being said she's still a lot of fun and her kit is pretty outrageous right now. The only thing I find difficult with her is the actual healing of teammates sometimes lol because the ofuda can literally go off on their own sometimes.

Also yeah I mean launch day so as expected huge traffic spike but on top of everything some of their servers legit got DDoS'd which made things way worse. For anyone trying to queue in NA I suggest swapping your region to EU or Asia and try queuing instead, you might just get lucky!

Raposa
10-05-2022, 01:28 AM
Whew, when I say I was surprised to see OW2 pop up in my Xbox games! I'm getting online fine at 2 am, it's just the merging issue I'm waiting out. :(

Kiriko looks rad. I don't usually play support, but I can't wait to try her out.

Serebii
10-05-2022, 02:36 AM
I love all things fox related but looking over Kiriko I just... can't be excited. Her appearance is bland and the effects on her abilities and even the fox spirit feel rather cheap. It's not the same overall quality that was in OW1.

In addition, did we really need a third ninja? Actually on top of that, did all three of the Japanese characters (who are ninjas) *have* to know one another? Ignoring the racist implications of that it's just incredibly lazy writing.

Cat Purrson
10-05-2022, 03:55 AM
I definitely will be downloading and playing overwatch 2 this week! I’ve been hearing so many things about it both good and bad.

Ice
10-08-2022, 08:05 PM
I finally got a chance to watch Kiriko's animated short that came out the other day and it really does not disappoint! 😭πŸ₯Ί I was absolutely in tears by the end. The animated shorts team really knocked it out of the park.

Mothman
10-08-2022, 08:25 PM
I finally got a chance to watch Kiriko's animated short that came out the other day and it really does not disappoint! 😭πŸ₯Ί I was absolutely in tears by the end. The animated shorts team really knocked it out of the park.

It's SOOOOO good... animators really carrying the franchise rn

Zer0
10-25-2022, 06:28 PM
After playing OW2 for the last little while, I get the same feeling from Kiriko as Genji. I always get a little bit anxious whenever people play Genji and Kiriko cause 8/10 times the players are just awful at them.

Ice
10-25-2022, 07:04 PM
After playing OW2 for the last little while, I get the same feeling from Kiriko as Genji. I always get a little bit anxious whenever people play Genji and Kiriko cause 8/10 times the players are just awful at them.

Haha I have to agree with you there! So far my take is that because people sometimes need to play support role in order to grind battle pass exp/complete daily missions, non-support players (esp DPS) will pick Kiriko and just not heal :' )))))

Zer0
10-25-2022, 07:21 PM
Haha I have to agree with you there! So far my take is that because people sometimes need to play support role in order to grind battle pass exp/complete daily missions, non-support players (esp DPS) will pick Kiriko and just not heal :' )))))

Yeah. There is also two new problems with Overwatch:
a) Supports are not used to dueling against tank/DPS. I don't expect them to duel to win against these. It is absolutely impossible especially in the case of tanks unless if the tank is super low. But enough dueling skill to get away.
b) Tanks/DPS are not defending their supports well enough.

Ice
10-25-2022, 07:35 PM
Yeah. There is also two new problems with Overwatch:
a) Supports are not used to dueling against tank/DPS. I don't expect them to duel to win against these. It is absolutely impossible especially in the case of tanks unless if the tank is super low. But enough dueling skill to get away.
b) Tanks/DPS are not defending their supports well enough.

God yes things like Zen getting his SPARTA kick and Brig shield bash with increased knockback/distance do help a lot but like as a (shitty bronze awareness Ana player) how tf am I supposed to sleep a Rein with his shield up or Zarya with two fucking bubbles if no one on my team coming to help my ass :o_o: (and this is why I am at heart a Moira one trick) the removal of the secondary tank has made my life as a support main helluva lot harder but eh what can I do about it haha.

Zer0
10-25-2022, 08:00 PM
God yes things like Zen getting his SPARTA kick and Brig shield bash with increased knockback/distance do help a lot but like as a (shitty bronze awareness Ana player) how tf am I supposed to sleep a Rein with his shield up or Zarya with two fucking bubbles if no one on my team coming to help my ass :o_o: (and this is why I am at heart a Moira one trick) the removal of the secondary tank has made my life as a support main helluva lot harder but eh what can I do about it haha.

Definitely. I now only play Brig or Lucio when I play support. With Brig, I can abuse anyone that gets too close to me especially in close quarters.

Cat Purrson
11-02-2022, 03:18 AM
After playing a bit of Overwatch 2, I've really come to love Kiriko and have been primarily been playing her and Mercy as my main healers in competitive. I'm currently Gold 2 and still climbing with her. She's super fun!

Ice
11-02-2022, 11:30 AM
After playing a bit of Overwatch 2, I've really come to love Kiriko and have been primarily been playing her and Mercy as my main healers in competitive. I'm currently Gold 2 and still climbing with her. She's super fun!

Ahh that's awesome!! I have yet to play comp on OW2 because it's just so much mental work lol but Kiriko is super meta in the League right now, I'm curious if the normal players are utilizing her just as much. I would imagine so since I don't think any of her skills have been nerfed yet and the nullify is just so op :o