PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite slightly older anime? 90s or earlier?

sugarbee
08-08-2022, 09:55 PM
Lately, I've been getting into more retro anime like Trigun, Lupin the Third part II, Rurouni Kenshin, and so on! Does anyone have any similar recommendations?

pillowfighter
08-08-2022, 10:03 PM
The first one that comes to mind will always be Yu Yu Hakusho!
I love the aesthetic of it
And the op slaps! Probably my favorite anime opening of all time. I wish I could explain the feeling it gives me but I just cannot find the words.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

sugarbee
08-08-2022, 10:05 PM
The first one that comes to mind will always be Yu Yu Hakusho!
I love the aesthetic of it
And the op slaps! Probably my favorite anime opening of all time. I wish I could explain the feeling it gives me but I just cannot find the words.

Oooooo, Yu Yu Hakusho was what got me into anime as a kid when it was on toonami, but I've never actually watched it in order or all the way through! I think it's time for a proper watchthrough :)

Raposa
08-08-2022, 10:37 PM
Ranma 1/2 is a classic, and for good reason. The story and premise are unforgettable and it's chock full of all that beautiful retro anime goodness.

Do remember though that while it's essentially about gender and gender fluidity, it's still very much a product of its time. Some things are meant to be shocking or weird already, but in 2022 parts may be even more so.

If you like magical girls, Minky Momo was one of the pioneers of the genre. It's exactly what you'd expect from a magical girl anime, complete with the part where it inflicts psychic damage upon your heart.

Grave of the Fireflies is about World War II, and you know it's good because it's Studio Ghibli.

I know those are really well-known examples but if you're getting into the world of 80's/90's anime these are great places to start. :)

DarkSkies
08-09-2022, 12:34 AM
Grave of the fireflies was beautiful, I can't deny I cried at watching it Dad :,)

From the old animes I used to see Sailor Moon (now following the Crystal version), Saint Seiya, Capitan Tsubasa ofc and those endless soccer plays xD

Ghost Sweeper Mikami, I was very young to totally understand but it made me laugh, and on the same comedy ghost story line I loved to see Nube anime 💜

Also saw Ranma 1/2 and Dragon ball, the must to see haha. Sakura Card Captor and probably many other ones I don't remember the name rn :S

TsUNaMy WaVe
08-09-2022, 01:12 AM
Unfortunately I haven't gotten to watch older anime that aren't meant for kids... but I hope to so soon with stuff like Rose of Versailles (this one is from the early 80s though), GTO, Cowboy Bebop and Oniisama E...
My fave for now is, ofc, Digimon! Though even if I'll get around to watch other stuff from this era it won't get beaten lmao. Seraphim Call is another 1999 one I like a lot!

Ice
08-09-2022, 01:22 AM
Oh man, seconding the Yu Yu Hakusho! I also grew up with the late 90s HunterxHunter version, they're both very nostalgic for me. Yoshihiro Togashi really is a genius. If only he was in better health. 🙃 Speaking of him of course Sailor Moon is on the list - I like the original WAY better than Crystal. You cannot think of a power couple more iconic than Naoko Takeuchi and Togashi!! As much as I liked Sailor Moon/Card Captor as a kid though, the older I got the more wtf the decisions regarding the characters' ages felt though lol. Like.....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee whyyyyyyy lmao. I also do recall watching the original Rurouni Kenshin, it had such a great duality of funny and serious. If only the creator of that wasn't like, idr guilty of major tax evasion or some other bullshit like that. 🙃

Rattata
08-09-2022, 05:32 AM
Slayers and Slayers Next, hell yeahhhh

Hollow
08-09-2022, 07:55 AM
If we're talking old school anime then it's got to be Inuyasha! I won't count Bleach into this as it's making a come back xD but yes Inuyasha was the one one! I even collected the manga for it :D

Kibba
08-09-2022, 08:40 AM
Probably Sakura Card Captor or Yu-Gi-Oh

Hall
08-09-2022, 11:56 AM
Pardon my list:
Yu Yu Hakusho
Card Captor Sakura
Sailor Moon (even though there is the Crystal reboot now the original still holds a big part of my heart)
Magic Knight Rayearth
Mobile Fighter G Gundam

These are the ones that stuck with me the most. Some fond memories watching them. :3

Alcremie
08-09-2022, 11:59 AM
Outlaw Star
Trigun
Tenchi Muyo
Dragon Ball
Card Captor Sakura
Sailor Moon

I might be forgetting some but these were my favorites growing up! :D

sugarbee
08-09-2022, 12:02 PM
Oh damn, my watch list is about to become so long thanks to all of these suggestions. Thank you, everyone!

Flordibel
08-09-2022, 02:42 PM
Revolutionary Girl Utena for me! It's god some absolutely gorgeous art, the kind that you don't see much of nowadays - really lovely painted backgrounds and such. Plus, sword lesbians!

It's on Crunchy, and Discotek (edit: it was Right Stuf, not Discotek) also released a remastered version a while ago.

DarkSkies
08-09-2022, 02:52 PM
Revolutionary Girl Utena for me! It's god some absolutely gorgeous art, the kind that you don't see much of nowadays - really lovely painted backgrounds and such. Plus, sword lesbians!

It's on Crunchy, and Discotek also released a remastered version a while ago.

Hold on a sec, I knew there was the manga, anime and the movie. But is there a remastered version?? :o_o:

I don't know if that was the video, it appears unavailable for me :O

Flordibel
08-09-2022, 05:38 PM
Hold on a sec, I knew there was the manga, anime and the movie. But is there a remastered version?? :o_o:

I don't know if that was the video, it appears unavailable for me :O

Yup! That video was just the first episode in general.

As far as a remaster goes, they cleaned it up and released it on Blu-ray with a ton of extras, like commentary tracks and karaoke. You can find them on Right Stuf! ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

LibraryFaerie
08-09-2022, 06:00 PM
OooOooo cool thread. Echoing all the Sailor Moon recommendations. But the first thing that came to mind was the movie Akira. It's cyberpunk-y and got a bit of violence - definitely for adults. It was one of the first animes I've ever seen and totally changed my vibe on the genre!

Random side story - I saw a few mentions of Grave of the Fireflies. I bought it a few years ago on DVD at a flea market and it's still sealed in the packaging because I always heard how sad it was and never booted it up hahaha.

kittyray
08-09-2022, 06:35 PM
LibraryFaerie

no shit, same
I bought it used years ago (at least seven) and I've heard it's incredible but tragic. I love a good sad story, but I haven't quite been able to bring myself to check it out yet.

Blissey
08-11-2022, 12:16 PM
- cowboy bebop ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) is still my favorite anime of all time by far and i recommend it to everyone regardless of how familiar they are with anime. great action, great characters, great music, all wrapped in an easily digestible 26 episodes.
- neon genesis evangelion ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) is another favorite. it has a darker tone and is often stated to be a deconstruction of the mecha (giant fighting robots) genre, but i feel like its a commentary on the general anime trope of having young teenagers save the world. its one of the most accurate depictions of adolescents in any anime ive ever seen, and is a great starting point for anyone curious to the world of anime that delves deeper than the likes of saturday morning cartoon action.
- whisper of the heart ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) is a lesser discussed ghibli movie, perhaps because its a more down-to-earth slice-of-life ordeal, but its great regardless. just an absolute feast for the eyes with beautiful detailed backgrounds and depictions of japanese greenery. the story is simple, mostly focusing on a teenage girl and her interest in reading and writing, as well as her ventures into dating, but again - very well done and cozy. great for a rainy afternoon.

Alister
08-11-2022, 12:41 PM
I may be late to the party on this one but Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is my favorite movie ever. Also a friend and I are taking off work in October to go see Akira at a random theater screening at 3pm so I feel I have to give Akira a shout out as well. I assumed all anime fans are like, born already having seen Akira at this point but my friend has never seen it so just in case, if you too have not seen it, HIGHLY recommended.

chii3d
08-20-2022, 03:57 PM
I know they have already been said but if you like magical girls, Sailor Moon and Magic Knight Rayearth were my go-to animes as a child. Sailor Moon has a ton of "filler" episodes and even a filler arc, but is consistent and comforting. Rayearth has no filler and also has an OVA with a different plotline and slightly different animation. I remember loving both and having the cassette tape box sets that formed a picture when you put them all together.

I also really loved Serial Experiments Lain, though the concept might feel a bit outdated once you get into it, the atmosphere is really still present. Perfect Blue was amazing and I rewatch that movie every few years as it is an all-time favorite for me.

Sorry If you've seen all these already!

Android
08-21-2022, 07:17 PM
Any Fist of the North Star/Hokuto no ken fans? It's a pioneer for shonen and I think that anyone who likes Jojo might like it a lot!

It has some real bangers, by the way.

Juna
08-22-2022, 04:21 PM
Favorite anime is definitely Sailor Moon, but thats very popular, I think. Second favorite is Fushigi Yuugi.

Buizel
09-06-2022, 01:30 PM
For me, it's Prince of Tennis, because it's one of the first anime/manga I've ever read (and the first sport manga I've read) and the over the top theatrics throw me for a loop every time lol.