PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Summer Art Challenge

Flordibel
07-31-2022, 07:01 PM
2022 Summer Art Challenge

Whether you're an accomplished artist or you can barely hold a pencil, you are invited to join the 2022 Summer Art Challenge!

This challenge was originally hosted by Fabulous in 2020, and is back due to popular demand! In order to keep the original spirit of the event alive, the prompts below are similar (and in some cases, the same) as the original 2020 event.

"But I can't art!" – yes, you can! This is a low-stress, inclusive challenge, for all skill levels and time commitments. For newer creators or those who want to take it easy, there are "fun mode" prompts. For those with more experience under their belts, "challenge mode" has conventional art challenge prompts. You can mix and match easy and hard stuff, or go all easy.

Rules & Submission Info
Rules

No need to sign up to enter this challenge - jump in whenever you like. The challenge begins today and closes on August 31st at midnight NST.

Complete as many prompts as you want in any order you like. You can also combine multiple prompts into a single submission.

Submissions should be your own work unless specified by a prompt; please link to references or asset sources if used!

Submissions must abide by the forum's rules ([Only registered and activated users can see links]).

Comments/discussion about submissions should be made on the Art Challenge Discussion Thread ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), not on individual threads, and should be supportive in nature.

Any medium is allowed; traditional, digital, cake decorating, embroidery, DTI creations, photomanips, mixtapes, fanvids, Spotify playlists, ceramics, textiles, flower-arranging, etc. Do what you enjoy most, or try experimenting with something new!

You don't have to produce a masterpiece for every prompt. Doodles / simple creations are fine. This is supposed to be fun, not a burden!

How to submit

Choose your prompt & create the thing!

Decide if you want to share your submissions publicly, privately, or a mix of both. Protecting your identity comes first: if you are worried about a stylistic tell or giveaway in a given piece, submit it privately!

In general, the prompts were chosen to avoid too much overlap with Neopets subject matter and will be quite different to anything you'd put in the BC.

For public submissions: if you feel comfortable sharing certain submissions publicly, post them as you go on a dedicated thread entitled "Art Challenge Submissions - " in the Graphics Competitions Forum ([Only registered and activated users can see links]).

[u]For private submissions: if you wish to submit some (or all) submissions privately, post them as you go on a dedicated thread entitled "Art Challenge Submissions - [username]" in the Private Art Challenge Submission Forum ([Only registered and activated users can see links]). Submissions will be visible only to you, the mods, and me as the host. You can have both a public and private thread going at once and decide where to post each piece according to your comfort level.

The Prize

You'd join in just for the sheer pleasure of it, but how about a little incentive, too? If you complete 15 prompts by midnight NST on August 31, 2022, you will unlock this gorgeous userbar:

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

FAQs

Can I use old creations as submissions?
No, the idea is to create things during the challenge. However, if a prompt inspires you to revisit an older creation (like repainting a piece of pottery you made years ago), that works!

Can I submit some things privately and some things publicly?
Yes! You can have a private and public thread going at once. Only share what you're comfortable sharing in your public thread, otherwise, go private!

Can I combine prompts?
YES! Combine "Japan" and "Something edible" and draw (or make) sushi! Combine "maps," "architecture" and "something from your favorite game" and design a Dungeons and Dragons dungeon layout! Indicate which prompts you're responding to so I can count them towards your total.

How do I post pictures on clraik?
Upload the image to your preferred image host (imgur.com is popular) and wrap the image's url in these tags to post it on cK:

Are collaborations allowed?
Of course! Note that only individual submissions will count towards the 15 prompts required for the userbar, however!

How do I get the userbar?
Complete at least 15 prompts by midnight NST on August 31, 2022!

How NSFW can we get?
We are following the forum's rules on this, to wit: "Do not post any inappropriate or offensive images anywhere in the community." Tasteful nudity in a figure drawing is fine, put things in spoilers if in doubt, and use your judgement.

Fun Prompts

Interpret these however you want to in whatever medium you want! Don't even bother asking me for clarification on a prompt, the world is your oyster, my radiant pearl. Many of these are five-minute-or-less affairs. Doodles are fine.

Some prompts say "draw" but don't feel limited to traditional drawing. Do anything! If you submit a pie with an upside-down Hello Kitty on it, YES!

A cat, but only using triangles.

Your favourite animal, but using your non-dominant hand (if you're perfectly ambidextrous, you get to use your feet).

A dinosaur, but draw it with your eyes closed.

Make a meme, Neopets related or otherwise.

Your clraik avatar, but make it fashion.

Hello Kitty, but upside-down (you can draw her upside-down, or while you yourself are upside-down, your call).

Sea creatures (mythical or otherwise).

Greyscale.

"Going green."

Superheroes.

Photomanip, but terrible: produce a picture of something using only pictures of something else (example: "Nothing in this picture is not Snoop Dogg" ([Only registered and activated users can see links])).

Baby animal!

New Zealand.

Your favourite character from whatever media, but as My Little Pony.

IRL pet.

Your theme is: eyeburner colors ([Only registered and activated users can see links]).

LOCH NESS MONSTER.

Pokemon.

Americana ([Only registered and activated users can see links](culture)).

Create the flag of an imaginary country of which you are the reigning monarch.

Your theme is: mid-century modern.

K-pop ([Only registered and activated users can see links]).

Something from your favourite game.

Something edible.

Maps. (According to Da Plushee Boree, inkarnate.com ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) has a free tier that you can use to build cool maps!)

Japan.

A place you want to visit.

Inspirational quote spoof, complete with cheesy background, a la Instagram inspo.

Theme park.

Free day x 3 (create anything you want up to 3 times; each instance will count as an prompt completion).

Challenge Prompts

Again, all of these prompts are wide open to interpretation. There is no prompt police. These are more conventional art challenge prompts, most of which were yoinked from the last art challenge thread. If you're looking for some warmups or wanting to practice annoying things (cough, hands) and need some inspo, try these!

Again, all of these prompts are wide open to interpretation. There is no prompt police. These are more conventional art challenge prompts, most of which were yoinked from the last art challenge thread. If you're looking for some warmups or wanting to practice annoying things (cough, hands) and need some inspo, try these!

A figure (human or animal or whatever being you'd like) using a reference (please link to reference).

A figure in action, using a reference (please link to reference).

A part of the human anatomy you have trouble with, x5.

Quick gestures and silhouettes, x5.

Design a character based on something generated by [Only registered and activated users can see links]

A study of a texture you aren't familiar with (feathers, wood grain, fur, scales, 5 o'clock shadows, the wrinkly part of elbows – anything!).

A landscape without man-made structures.

A scene with 1pt perspective.

A scene with 2pt perspective.

An animal you've never drawn before.

Draw with one eye closed.

Make something usually cute into something monstrous! 90 ft tall Godzilla kitten!

Lighting study (choose your own light source: blue moon? candles? magic orbs?).

Think of the thing you hate drawing the most. Guess what? Practice it! x5.

Pick an object in your house/room. Now design a character based on that thing, using the shapes, forms, textures, purpose and colors as inspiration.

Shading practice using hatching, crosshatching, and/or pointillism.

"Planes, trains, or automobiles."

Colors! Pick a color palette, and paint a scene/character/object using only those colors. You can use [Only registered and activated users can see links] to generate a palette.

Draw a light object in a dark environment, then a dark object in a light environment.

Architecture study: bridges.

Movement study: a piece of patterned fabric in motion.

Re-create the floor plan of a place you know well, or an entirely new place. Label the rooms, and maybe even decorate it.

Movement study: dance.

Draw something without lifting your pen/pencil/stylus/piping bag/implement.

Urbanism.

Think of the thing you love drawing the most. Practice it! x5.

Create something based on this Rorshach generator ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) (can be in whole or in part).

Something in a style you've never tried before. If emulating an artist, link us!

A character displaying 10 emotions/expressions.

Create something chibified and cute out of something that's usually considered ugly (like a goblin shark) (apologies to any goblin sharks out there).

Questions? PM me ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) or post them on the discussion thread! ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) ALL skill levels are welcome to join: if you need a pep talk, I am here for you, with pom-poms. Otherwise, get creating! Can't wait to see what you come up with! 💜

Flordibel
08-01-2022, 08:08 PM
Come one, come all! The time has come to join the 2022 Summer Art Challenge!!!

Houndoom
08-01-2022, 08:12 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHH it's back??? That's super exciting I loved this event last time cause it got me to try some things I normally wouldn't!

Flordibel
08-01-2022, 08:15 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHH it's back??? That's super exciting I loved this event last time cause it got me to try some things I normally wouldn't!

It's back and ready for action!

Da Plushee Boree
08-01-2022, 08:28 PM
OMAIGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

I have already started (?)
The Challenge Promps are sooooo goood!
Will ask my partner for his pc since i want to try a lot of digital stuff!! Good time for Vacations OMG! *explodes*

There are so many things related to backgrounds, this is a good excuse to start practicing it!

Flordibel
08-01-2022, 08:33 PM
The Challenge Promps are sooooo goood!

There are so many things related to backgrounds, this is a good excuse to start practicing it!

Yay! I did my best with the Challenge prompts. I'm no artist, but Fab's original list was already wonderful - I just edited it slightly!

Da Plushee Boree
08-01-2022, 08:37 PM
Yay! I did my best with the Challenge prompts. I'm no artist, but Fab's original list was already wonderful - I just edited it slightly!

Thank you for giving us an excuse to try new things!
Each item is good on it's own and can be mixed with a lot of others, i'm hoping everyone could get a lot of fun exploring it!

Ice
08-01-2022, 08:40 PM
Oh hell yeah let's gooooooo! I am so excited to be able to participate this year!! :love_heart: Thanks for hosting again!!

Flordibel
08-01-2022, 08:42 PM
Y'all have a whole month to go absolutely wild and I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Dita
08-01-2022, 08:49 PM
I'm so excited! I want to do this again because I really have improved art wise since the last one. :D

I already have the userbar but I still think it will be fun. Just put of curiosity will there be anything for people who already have the ub but complete 15 prompts? If not that's totally fine! I still plan to do them 😂

Flordibel
08-01-2022, 09:26 PM
Just put of curiosity will there be anything for people who already have the ub but complete 15 prompts? If not that's totally fine! I still plan to do them 😂

There are no current plans for special awards for users who already have the user bar but are taking part this year! If that discourages anyone from participating, there's no hard feelings - summertime is premium time, and we understand :D

Dita
08-01-2022, 09:31 PM
There are no current plans for special awards for users who already have the user bar but are taking part this year! If that discourages anyone from participating, there's no hard feelings - summertime is premium time, and we understand :D

Thank you! No problem at all :D I can't wait to do these prompts. Thank you for hosting!

pillowfighter
08-01-2022, 10:19 PM
I CANNOT WAIT TO PARTICIPATE!!!!
I’m scrambling for my iPad rn these prompts are so fun!!!! :o_o:

DarkSkies
08-01-2022, 10:27 PM
Yessss it's finally here!! And we have a good time for participating, this is gonna be fun <)

phantasia
08-02-2022, 02:37 AM
This is awesome. Just a question (not sure if it should be posted on the discussio treat?)

Can we take prompts from the challenge or the fun one? Or a combination?

TsUNaMy WaVe
08-02-2022, 03:27 AM
This event was so much fun last time!!
I hope I can find some time to fill some prompts this time as well~

LibraryFaerie
08-02-2022, 07:31 AM
Yay! I had so much fun doing this even the first time around! Can confirm - no traditionally artistic skills are needed to participate. I completed all my prompts in The Sims and submitted screenshots of my houses and people.

Aero
08-02-2022, 08:20 AM
YESSS super excited for this! Thanks for bringing it back. I am going to try to do all mine in traditional in my daily-journal so I can use up my way-too-many pens.

Alister
08-02-2022, 09:13 AM
I'm so excited this actually got me out of bed even though I am dead tired

These look like so much fun! I saw the challenge on the cK calendar last week and have been duper excited for it to launch!

Bulbasaur
08-02-2022, 09:49 AM
I'd love to do this, but my anxiety says otherwise lol
But I hope you all have fun! If I could actually draw, I'd totally join!

hellraid
08-02-2022, 09:51 AM

I understand where you are coming from, and I get that you don't want to enter. But in my opinion you should reconsider. If you would love to do it, it shouldn't stop you from doing it. Art is in the eye of the beholder so whatever you come up with it's your idea, it is art!

kittyray
08-02-2022, 10:14 AM

I say try anyway! The 2020 Art Challenge was a huge force in what helped me come out of my shell on here and be less afraid to share things!

Flordibel
08-02-2022, 10:35 AM
This is awesome. Just a question (not sure if it should be posted on the discussio treat?)

Can we take prompts from the challenge or the fun one? Or a combination?

You can do a mix of both! From the original post:

For newer creators or those who want to take it easy, there are "fun mode" prompts. For those with more experience under their belts, "challenge mode" has conventional art challenge prompts. You can mix and match easy and hard stuff, or go all easy.

- - - Updated - - -

JOIN US! No drawing necessary tbh. Last year I submitted pictures of Sims I designed and some MS Paint scribbles! It's all for fun, and sometimes the silliest submissions are the best ones!

DarkSkies
08-02-2022, 10:43 AM

I'm with everyone else, maybe you could just give it a try for fun, don't see it as commitment. It's not necessary drawing, you can do easier stuff for you c:

chii3d
08-02-2022, 01:59 PM
I am definitely doing this! I am not sure if this has already been asked / answered so I am sorry. Do I have to do them in order or can I skip around?

Ghast
08-02-2022, 02:01 PM
I am definitely doing this! I am not sure if this has already been asked / answered so I am sorry. Do I have to do them in order or can I skip around?

You are welcome to skip around as much as you would like! :D The numbered prompts are just to help keep things straight.

chii3d
08-02-2022, 02:04 PM
You are welcome to skip around as much as you would like! :D The numbered prompts are just to help keep things straight.

Perfect!! I'll draw one or two today.

Danny Phantom
08-02-2022, 07:09 PM
Looks like I'm back just in time! I'll definitely join in the event, thank you so much for bringing it back! :o_o:

Cat Purrson
08-02-2022, 07:21 PM

I can't draw either I have 0 artistic talent but it's really fun to try the different prompts and practice! I promise whatever you draw, we will love!

Hollow
08-04-2022, 07:39 AM
I’m joining this as soon as I land back in the UK. I’ve been waiting for this for ages! Thank you for bringing this back!!!

Quick question- where do we post our art? Do we have to create a thread and post it on there and title under the summer art challenge? I was reading through the rules but not sure if I’ve missed out on anything!

Ice
08-04-2022, 07:53 AM
I’m joining this as soon as I land back in the UK. I’ve been waiting for this for ages! Thank you for bringing this back!!!

Quick question- where do we post our art? Do we have to create a thread and post it on there and title under the summer art challenge? I was reading through the rules but not sure if I’ve missed out on anything!

Yeah! You make a thread for yourself to track your submissions. There are two places to do so, either in the public forum ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) or a private forum ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) if you're not comfortable sharing publicly. Just title the thread "Art Challenge Submissions - Hollow".

Hollow
08-04-2022, 07:57 AM
Thank you so much for clarifying, I will be getting on this as soon as I’m back home, I’ve been soo excited to do this! I’ve missed the first dew days of it, as long as I do 15 prompts within the month of August then I can still participate for the ub?

Ice
08-04-2022, 08:19 AM
Thank you so much for clarifying, I will be getting on this as soon as I’m back home, I’ve been soo excited to do this! I’ve missed the first dew days of it, as long as I do 15 prompts within the month of August then I can still participate for the ub?

Yeah you should still have plenty of time to get them done :D I try to do one or so a day myself.

Hollow
08-04-2022, 08:32 AM
Yeah you should still have plenty of time to get them done :D I try to do one or so a day myself.

Awesome, I Hope to get the prompts put in time for the end of the month!

- - - Updated - - -

Am I also able to do more than one prompt in one day to catch up to the days I’ve missed out or is it only once a day sorta thing? :0

Kibba
08-04-2022, 08:40 AM
I try to make 2 or 3 a day, maybe more depending on the prompt
But working on that and my job is making me less active here hahaha

Loving all entries :cupcake:

Hollow
08-04-2022, 08:47 AM
I try to make 2 or 3 a day, maybe more depending on the prompt
But working on that and my job is making me less active here hahaha

Loving all entries :cupcake:

I can’t wait to see what everyone’s prompts are, I also can’t wait to start on mine! I don’t think I’ve been this excited for an art challenge since the last one I did back in 2016!

Flordibel
08-04-2022, 09:04 AM
Finally getting to go through all the threads like:

Nattiee I would literally get your dino tattooed on my body; it's perfectly abstract

valora your elephant is SO good!

hellraid your sea creatures are TERRIFYING (in a good way). What programs are you using to create these gorgeous pictures??

Cat Purrson Roller Coaster Tycoon the GOAT!!

Ice Hello Kitty on the pole, I love she 😭

dustyc Your non-dominant hand kitty is so fluffy, I adore it!

Jackalope Fashion Enoch absolutely deserves an invitation to the Met Gala tbh

EnderTheory THAT COFFEE CAKE THO>>>>

Ghast I LOVE your cat triangle collage! It's a great take on the prompt!

Great White North I'm dying at the perfectly perpendicular spines on your blind brachiosaurus and then... squiggles. Cute!!

DarkSkies I feel that meme in my heart and my heart is broken

goodnightmoon DRAIK MEME LMFAO

honeycomb Your triangle cat looks so blissful I Love it

chii3d I understood that dangitgrandpa game reference 👀

Kibba cK heroes is SUCH a good idea! The suits are so detailed!

Shazi the origami Pikachu is giving me LIFE! Those ears!

Rokon How is your non-dominant hand animal so perfect what witchcraft is this

Aero your dance movement study is SO gorgeous. It feels so ethereal, especially with the pen (?) you used!

Orbit Your Loch Ness Monster comic? ABSOLUTE PERFECTION. Nessie is my favorite cryptid and this is perfect!!

Alister the eyes closed dino is having the time of his life and I'm so here for it 🥺

phantasia I love the blocky style in that color palette you used! It feels very, like, Route 66 style! (1960s graphic design, almost? I MEAN THIS IN A GOOD WAY)

Zenitsu I'd vote for nattiee_trooths tbh

Dita Omg it's been ages since I've seen the raptor meme, what an excellent choice!!!

Cinnamaroll your pixel Cinna is the CUTEST. Pixel art is such a finely tuned form and you nailed it!

Rattata THE HANSO AND BRYNN MEME I'M

Gliss OMBRE NESSIEEEEEE she is so good omg

If you saw me struggling with mentions no you didn't

hellraid
08-04-2022, 09:32 AM
Flordibel I use Disco Diffusion and Photoshop :)

DarkSkies
08-04-2022, 09:48 AM
Hollow you can also combine prompts if you find yourself short of time, I have done 2x1 as others c:

Flordibel I know, one can only hope :c

Serebii
08-04-2022, 03:27 PM
Oh it definitely isn't perfect by any means. Well. Unless we're talking about being a representation of how a child would do the challenge, in which case... yeah it does a good job, lol.

Hollow
08-05-2022, 02:41 AM
Hollow you can also combine prompts if you find yourself short of time, I have done 2x1 as others c:

Flordibel I know, one can only hope :c

Ooo as in two prompts in one post? If that’s the case that’s something I may need to do! I’m back officially tomorrow evening so I’m hoping I have enough time for this!

DarkSkies
08-05-2022, 08:43 AM
Ooo as in two prompts in one post? If that’s the case that’s something I may need to do! I’m back officially tomorrow evening so I’m hoping I have enough time for this!

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. Still there's like 26 days left yet so don't feel overwhelmed. Besides your drawing is gorgeus so I'm sure you got this :tiger:

Hollow
08-05-2022, 11:07 AM
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. Still there's like 26 days left yet so don't feel overwhelmed. Besides your drawing is gorgeus so I'm sure you got this :tiger:

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation! I look forward to participating in this challenge :D appreciate the compliment to my drawings too!

Tater
08-07-2022, 07:29 PM
Thank you so much for the mention ^^ I haven't been able to complete a piece in a few days since I was on a trip but I'm about to get a few done the new couple days! Haven't decided which ones I'll go for yet, sort of making it up as I go!

Wandas
08-13-2022, 09:22 AM
looks really fun! sadly i'll have to keep all of my entries private because I am the king of recognizable styles

Gooblah
08-15-2022, 05:21 PM
I drew a NSFW submission because doing so at work made me lol. Do I post it in the private subforum or the Adults Only one?

DarkSkies
08-15-2022, 06:18 PM
According to the FAQ on the Art Challenge on first page:

How NSFW can we get?

We are following the forum's rules on this, to wit: "Do not post any inappropriate or offensive images anywhere in the community." Tasteful nudity in a figure drawing is fine, put things in spoilers if in doubt, and use your judgement.

If you've already made a thread on the public forum, I'm not sure if you could do another for private forum Gooblah

Maybe throwing it inside a spoiler as it had been mentioned?

Gooblah
08-15-2022, 07:07 PM
According to the FAQ on the Art Challenge on first page:

If you've already made a thread on the public forum, I'm not sure if you could do another for private forum Gooblah

Maybe throwing it inside a spoiler as it had been mentioned?

I'm asking because according to the rules all NSFW stuff is meant to go in Adults Only. I don't know if drawing it myself matters though.

Flordibel
08-15-2022, 09:12 PM
I'm asking because according to the rules all NSFW stuff is meant to go in Adults Only. I don't know if drawing it myself matters though.

We ask that you use your judgment! If it's artistic and tasteful, like a Grecian nude (or something), then that's fine. But if it's something like a vulgar meme, that wouldn't really adhere to the spirit of the challenge!

Cinnamoroll
08-30-2022, 09:31 PM
Alright everyone, one day left! Get those last minute entries in!

Flordibel
08-31-2022, 10:24 AM
CLOSING TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT NST!!! (3am Eastern / 2am Central / 12am Pacific)

You all have shown some amazing creativity and truly brought life to the art challenge this year!!

Cat Purrson
08-31-2022, 10:54 AM
GET THOS ART SUBMISSIONS IN PEOPLE!!! I wanna see more art!!! :o_o:

dustyc
08-31-2022, 01:13 PM
I've got some I've been working on just sitting around half-finished, I gotta finish them up today! :o_o: It really has been fun following the prompt list though, I'll probably continue the art challenge even after the month ends!