PDA

View Full Version : The Next Programming Step

Endo42
04-16-2012, 11:14 AM
So I'm a University student and a self taught programmer. Most of my experienxe is with C++. I did some 2D game development in C++ and got up to some server and client management (can upload if anyone wants to see , my best is a 2d multiplayer minecraftish game). I guess you could call me a Low-Mid programmer. The problem is that Ive exhausted most of the classic online learning tools for programming. I feel like im at the point where ill learn a lot more from making actual useful programs than anything else. I just have no idea what to make! I know there are some highly expetienced programmers on this forum and Im hoping one of you was at one point in the same position i am now so you can give me a kick in the right direction. :)

Sorry for any crap grammar or spelling, typing from my phone

Edit: somehow a smiley wormed its way into my title... stupid phone >_>

Vinko
04-16-2012, 12:06 PM
I am in a similar boat, i have taken very few programming classes,
visual basics 4.0 in like 7th grade
and recently a Intro to computer algebraic equations class in college, which turned out to be a c++ class
when looking for ideas think outside the box, try to come up with ideas to simplify tedious activities.

zach was nice enough to explain how to use a wrapper for me, and all the other programers are more than willing to answer questions or point you in the right direction.
if you ask them the right questions.

Zachafer
04-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Learn a new programming language. Try PHP, you will be amazed at the readability, control, and performance.

Endo42
04-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Learn a new programming language. Try PHP, you will be amazed at the readability, control, and performance.

I think I'll give PHP a shot. Haven't looked into it at all before.

Multiplayer game making isn't exactly a newbie thing ;p

One thing that can keep me busy with programming is when I'm in a math class, thinking of a way to solve the problems with programs. Or other science classes. When you're looking at graph theory it leads to some fun ideas.

Also, to change it up try learning a new language.

I spent all my highschool math classes making programs on my calculator so that I had to do almost 0 work xD

Thanks for the advice guys :)