PDA

View Full Version : Any anime movie recommendations?

Emerchy
04-21-2022, 01:25 AM
I've got a lot of show recommendations that I need to check out but I'm looking for some more anime movies to add to my watch list!

Here's a list of some of the ones I've already seen and really enjoyed :)

Most Ghibli movies, still need to watch a few though
Your Name + Weathering with You
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Paprika
Wolf Children
Mirai
Mary and the Witch's Flower
A Whisker Away
A Silent Voice
Lu Over the Wall

And here's some anime movies already on my to watch list, I'm slowly making my way through it haha

Children Who Chase Lost Voices
Napping Princess
5 Centimeters per Second
Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna
The Boy and the Beast
Summer Wars
Belle

Hopefully I can get a few more anime movie recommendations from you guys! Or maybe you've found a new one to watch from me (I doubt it but you never know!) :P

Ismira
05-05-2022, 01:09 PM
And here's some anime movies already on my to watch list, I'm slowly making my way through it haha

Children Who Chase Lost Voices
Napping Princess
5 Centimeters per Second
Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna
The Boy and the Beast
Summer Wars
Belle

Hopefully I can get a few more anime movie recommendations from you guys! Or maybe you've found a new one to watch from me (I doubt it but you never know!) :P

5 Centimeters per Second -- FINALLY something I've watched! It was eons ago, but I enjoyed it thoroughly and even cried!
You know it's good when it pulls on your heartstrings and evokes an emotional response FROM YOUR VERY SOUL.

Aero
05-05-2022, 01:14 PM
5 Centimeters Per Second is one of my favourite movies of all time! To me it's the original Kimi No Na Wa (same director - Makoto Shinkai).

I really love Satoshi Kon's works and you've seen Paprika mentioned above. A Perfect Blue is a psychological horror (many people believe Aronofsky was more than inspired by this move for Black Swan, which is remarkably similar) and Tokyo Godfathers is such a departure from his other works and just SO charming and uplifting. I hear Millennium Actress is his Magnum Opus, but his movies can be quite emotionally-overloading so I keep putting that one off, but you may be interested!

Also see Summer Wars on your list which is my favourite Hosoda movie. If you like the OG Digimon movie, which I believe he also made, it's basically very similar to that, but also a story about family. So heartwarming!

Ok one more- if you've seen Cowboy Bebop there's also a movie that fits right into the anime.

I saw the 6 Digimon Tri movies (which was ok...), but I didn't know there was another Digimon out. Is it standalone?

Alister
05-05-2022, 01:17 PM
I loved Belle, which is a new release / very unique modern spin on Beauty and the Beast, so much that I saw it twice in theater, once for dubbed and once for subbed. I wanted to go see it back to back in the same night but forced myself to go home and wait a few extra days instead lol

Highly recommended, I loved it so much

xChoppie
05-06-2022, 07:33 AM
If you watch Fruits Basket, you should definitely go for the prelude movie which was released recently!
It made me laugh and cry. B)

Cat Purrson
05-06-2022, 10:56 AM
Your Name was a great movie with beautiful artwork!

Bulbasaur
05-06-2022, 11:21 AM
One that I really enjoyed was "Miss Hokusai"
Its about the daughter of the famous painter, Hokusai.

You see things in her eyes and how his work would impact their lives.
Its a really good movie that I found really amazing!

EnderTheory
05-26-2022, 01:39 PM
In terms of movies I'd recommend, I'd go with:
Akira (I need to pick up where I left off in the manga too)
Perfect Blue
Lupin III: The First
Patema Inverted
A good number of Ghibli movies, including Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, The Cat Returns, and Princess Mononoke.

Some that are still sitting on my watchlist include:
Metropolis
Colorful
A number of Lupin the IIIrd Movies
Grave of the Fireflies
Wolf Children (I'll have to watch this one soon!)
Promare
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Another I should watch soon)

I definitely still need to watch the Cowboy Bebop movie as well!

Ice
05-26-2022, 03:41 PM
I saw Promare like 4 or 5 times in theater when it was playing in my area QED

anyways

You have a really good list so far! Personally I would recommend prioritizing Boy and the Beast (I cried) Summer Wars and Belle. Some people complain that Belle didn't have really a cohesive/sensical plotline but tbh even discounting that it's such a beautiful experience, visuals and soundtrack are amazing.

I recommend Promare IF you are a fan of og Gainax/Studio Trigger style and mecha over the top comedy-shounen-larger than life-save the world vibes (with a 100/10 stupid gay couple cannot tell me otherwise). It has tons of fucking hilarious moments and gut wrenching emotional moments, the animation is sublime, the score is SOOOOOOO GOOD (SAWANO HIROYUKI GUYS COME ON), and it has tons of little nods/easter eggs to older Gainax/Trigger works which is great for long time fans. That said, if you are NOT super into all that (if you didn't enjoy Gurren Lagann basically) then maybe not your thing. BUT IT'S STILL SO GOOD. :o_o:

Synth Salazzle
05-28-2022, 04:20 PM
tokyo godfathers is a pretty good one, I like it enough I own a physical copy.

Serebii
05-28-2022, 06:32 PM
I'm going to second (or third) Wolf Children. It's an absolute masterpiece that should be seen at least once.

And, it's not a movie exactly, but it certainly watches like one. If you have Netflix I'd recommend Japan Sinks as well if you're into super heavy feeling disaster situations where everything feels more and more hopeless as time goes on.

pillowfighter
05-31-2022, 12:29 AM
I actually really enjoyed “Ride Your Wave.”
It made me feel a lot of different emotions (i cried a good amount) and the animation was very pretty too!

Kibba
05-31-2022, 10:29 AM
You should definitely watch No Game, No Life the Movie: Zero I really wish there's a new season coming soon