PDA

View Full Version : What animes would you recommend a newbie?

Ugly
04-01-2022, 07:27 PM
I've never really gotten into anime as much as I wanted. All my friends are weebs and I am the only one that doesn't know anything. I really want to start watching some and was hoping you could help.
I have watched a few, but the only few I can remember are Black Butler, Kekkaishi, Beastar, Valkyrie Drive and obviously pokemon.
Please throw some at me! And if you could, please tell me what it is about ;o;

Preferences:
No animes with 45439579563 epiodes, I like anthro animals, I like the genres action, drama, horror or things with paranormal stuff and demons.
Good plot with twists are loved. Maybe some with subtle adult stuff? Like Valkyrie Drive has? Although I can't call that subtle :P

Flordibel
04-01-2022, 08:51 PM
Anime is really difficult to get into if you don't know where to start! Hopefully your friends can kick you some good recommendations! Thanks for posting a little bit about what you like, too. Sometimes it's hard to rec stuff because there's just... so much.

Newer Animes

The first thing that comes to mind when you say action is "Boku no Hero Academia." It's really big right now, and is very popular - it centers around kids with superpowers who go to superhero school and fight evil. It has... several seasons? But not a crazy amount of episodes.

Something that's also "action" but less shounen is "SK8 the Infinity." It's got its drama moments and its happy moments, but the actual skateboarding matches are very action-packed.

"ODDTAXI" - anthro animals! Driving taxis! And lots of twists and turns.

"Tokyo Ghoul" - protagonist deals with cannibalistic ghouls in many ways.

"PSYCHO-PASS" - cyberpunk psychological thriller!!

"Another" - probably for intermediate viewers, but I'm putting it here because you mentioned you like horror. It's basically "Final Destination: The Anime." Lol

Classic, "Everyone knows 'em" Animes

"Samurai Champloo" is also a good action anime that has a couple of subtle adult nods. It's set in historical Japan but has loads of action sequences and a kickass soundtrack.

"Cowboy Bebop" is a classic, of course - a noir action anime that is pretty adult but only really in its themes. Also with a kickass soundtrack. :P

"Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood." Action-packed anime with drama, horror, and demons. You can't go wrong!

"Death Note" - this is going to hit your paranormal / demon request. A regular guy finds a notebook that kills anyone whose name he writes in it.

"Yu Yu Hakusho." It's best if I sum it up from a copy/paste: "Would you become a detective for ghostly affairs in exchange for resurrection? Yusuke Urameshi finds himself in such a situation after being struck by a car. His innate fighting spirit and street smarts are recognized by the son of the Afterlife’s ruler, and the rest is history." Later in the series it becomes kind of tournament-y, though.

hamilton
04-01-2022, 09:38 PM
Seconding full metal alchemist: brotherhood. It’s a classic, and a very common ‘intro to anime’ for people who aren’t into anime, although on the longer end.

If you like plot twists/drama, I recommend Steins Gate, Code Geass, or Erased!

Ugly
04-02-2022, 10:10 AM
Ohhhh thank you!! I will note them all down!
I might start with PSYCHO-PASS and Fullmetal Alchemist after. I've actually watched the life action movie version and kinda liked it haha

What platform do you watch anime on?

hamilton
04-02-2022, 10:54 AM
Netflix and Crunchyroll are my go-tos (Netflix only because I watch a lot of non-anime shows there too). I think there are decent free alternatives out there as well but Im a sucker for ad-free streaming

Clefairy
04-02-2022, 11:28 AM
Vanitas no carte just finished it's last episode yesterday, I like it a lot!

Although the first chapters might seem a bit slow after that it really caught me

Cub
04-03-2022, 06:21 PM
Fullmetal Alchemist for suree!!
As per my signature I would recommend madoka magica haha

birdies
04-03-2022, 07:21 PM
Based on things I enjoyed without being a huge anime person - Fullmetal Alchemist as everyone says - lots of action and some horror moments.

And on the flipside, Fruits Basket - soft, funny and emotional with characters that change into animals.

I loved both. I also loved a fairly short anime called Ergo Proxy which was like... philosophical sci fi action?

Ugly
04-03-2022, 07:39 PM
Thank you thank you !!
I'm already excited about Fullmetal Alchemist!

Bat
04-03-2022, 08:45 PM
Thank you thank you !!
I'm already excited about Fullmetal Alchemist!

Oh, awesome! For sure on FMA. Which series are you watching? The original, or Brotherhood?

Cat Purrson
04-03-2022, 11:15 PM
Oh, awesome! For sure on FMA. Which series are you watching? The original, or Brotherhood?

I HIGHLY recommend watching Brotherhood. It's so much better than the original as it follows the plot from the manga.

the ending is just so much better too

Ugly
04-04-2022, 06:22 AM
Uhh I didn't know there were two haha, I'm currently finishing a randon netflix series before I wanted to start on Psycho-pass but might start with FMA instead. What's the difference between the two?

Alister
04-04-2022, 10:24 AM
for anthro animals, I really liked Brand New Animal on Netflix. The plot isn't the most involved but it's got a ton of energy and a really fun animation style.

For plot twists, drama, and horror I really liked The Promised Neverland. It was not an anime/manga I saw myself getting into but after the first couple of episodes I was hooked. The story is about kids living in an orphanage where every so often one of them is adopted or aged out and everyone is so happy for them to have found a new home, except of course the orphanage turns out to be a front for something nefarious instead. The anime focuses on the kids' trying to figure out what tf is really going on and how to escape it.

it doesn't seem to hit much of your preferred genres but I will always recommend Yona of the Dawn to everyone always. Drama/action/some comedy, fantasy, romance. Spoiled and naïve princess gets a real ugly shock when her father is murdered by someone she's very close to and she's driven from her home. The anime follows what she gets up to after that, which is centered around going out to try and find some legendary part-dragon warriors to recruit as part of her new personal army/body guards so she can continue to live instead of getting hunted down. It's SO well done. Character development is a huge theme and it has so much heart to it. I enjoyed the first episode out of the gate but halfway through the third episode I realized it's something very special.

teeny tiny spoiler for anyone else who has seen it
the flashback episode with Yona bribing Hak with the fruit to be friends again, MY HEART

I am also a huge Noragami fan. I think the manga is way better than the anime but the anime is still definitely worth checking out as well. Modern fantasy setting, comedy, action, drama. It's about a small-time, homeless god named Yato who will take any job for 5 yen, from fixing plumbing and finding lost cats to slaying demons. In this setting, human ghosts can be recruited by gods to become shinki (or regalia in the English translation) - when partnered up with the gods, they can transfer into weapons, armor, or other items. The first arc is about Yato recruiting a new shinki and their attempts to figure out how to get along without literally killing each other. Second arc introduces Yato's conflict with another god, a big-time famous warrior god, who despises him for some incident between the two of them in the past, and her attempts to hunt him down for revenge. Lots of character development, very likable characters, interesting plot that gets very twisty, especially in the manga.

Cat Purrson
04-04-2022, 11:26 AM
Uhh I didn't know there were two haha, I'm currently finishing a randon netflix series before I wanted to start on Psycho-pass but might start with FMA instead. What's the difference between the two?

The original follows the main plot up to a certain point and then spins off into something totally different where Brotherhood follows the plot more closely and has a much much better ending. I’d say it’s worth to watch both but that takes so much time so I’d recommend just watching brotherhood.

Wandas
04-04-2022, 12:25 PM
I'm not a huge anime watcher as I find it difficult to get committed to shows but I highly recommend Trigun! Its an anime with clear western influence and a good sense of humor. Its plot doesn't really start until half way through but I enjoy both the episodic episodes and the overarching plot.

Ugly
04-04-2022, 12:45 PM
Does brotherhood shows the same things as the original one? Or are there some differences?
Will I miss out on some stuff if I watch the one or another ;o;

TsUNaMy WaVe
04-04-2022, 01:12 PM
Just here to throw Demon Slayer into the recommendation list. I feel like it's a very beginners friendly show and it has action (and demons ofc)!

As for The Promised Neverland that was suggested before me - I can't full heartedly recommend the anime (neither seasons, but season 2 is where the real garbage is), but the manga is gold.

Ice
04-04-2022, 01:42 PM
Seconding Alister's recommendation of Noragami - I read a decent ways through the manga and it is really quite good. (Plus wonderful, gorgeous art which is a huge plus to me)

I know you said no bajillion episode series but really Hunter x Hunter (there is a 1999 ver and a 2011 remake) is SO FUCKING GOOD if you love fantasy action shounen. I grew up with the 1999 one and it is still easily my favorite anime to this day. Great characters, intriguing story, super cool world building/powers. I personally think it's a lot more palatable than your average shounen like Naruto/Bleach that a lot of the times falls into that flat, memey shounen category. HxH has funny comedic moments but tons of heart breaking/serious ones too. Cannot recommend this enough.

Emerchy
04-18-2022, 03:12 AM
I'm not a huge anime watcher as I find it difficult to get committed to shows but I highly recommend Trigun! Its an anime with clear western influence and a good sense of humor. Its plot doesn't really start until half way through but I enjoy both the episodic episodes and the overarching plot.

This is me too! I've started so many shows then drifted away from them, I will have to check out Trigun, thank you!

Kibba
05-31-2022, 10:38 PM
No Game No Life

Dark_dragonz
07-09-2022, 11:43 PM
I think a lot of newbies initially find it intimidating and or hard to commit to anime that have a large number of episodes. Hence, I'll recommend some options that have fewer episodes:

- No Game No Life (12 episodes)
- Sora yori mo tooi basho (13 episodes)
- Spy x Family (currently 12 episodes)
- Dr. Stone (24 episodes atm)
- Demon Slayer (37 episodes atm)
- Death Note (37 episodes)
- Violet Evergarden (13 episodes)
- Angel Beats (13 episodes)
- Grand Blue (12 episodes)
- Made in Abyss (13 eps atm - technically 14 with new season currently airing)

Charizard
04-09-2024, 12:39 PM
Demon Slayer, Chainsaw Man, Jujutsu Kaisen are a must for newer anime.
Inuyasha, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood are the tops for older anime that don't have an insane amount of episodes. Inuyasha being the longest though but it goes quick.
If you like animal related Wolfs Rain, Ginga Densetsu Weed & Ginga Nagareboshi Gin are really good.

oddish
04-18-2024, 10:36 AM
Parasyte
Noaragami
Jujutsu kaisen
Mirai Nikki
Demon slayer
Shiki
Tokyo Ghoul
Another
Deadman wonderland
Mieruko-chan
Elfen lied
Death parade
My hero academia
Black butler

These are some that I've really enjoyed and watched more than once!

Kaiman
04-18-2024, 12:00 PM
Attack on Titan is a bit long (94 episodes) but absolutely worth it and it's finished. Shorter animes I'd recommend are Death Note, Puella Magi Madoka Magica (looks cute but it's pretty dark), Beastars, Dorohedoro, Vinland Saga, and of course Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood as others have said