PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite romance anime?

Menine
02-12-2022, 01:06 PM
In the mood of Valentine's day, let's share our favorite romance animes that melt our hearts :love_heart:

I'd start with Kimi ni Todoke.
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Kazehaya and Sawako's love is so pure and innocent that it's almost childish. Brings me memories of my teenage years.

What is your favorite? :)

TsUNaMy WaVe
02-12-2022, 01:36 PM
Just gonna admit that I don't watch many romance anime. But I've seen a few.

One that I can wholeheartedly recommend is Asago to Kase-san. I love it so much. It is only a 1 hour OVA, but it's sweet as hell (and there is a whole manga about them if you are interested. Another good yuri anime is Yagate Kimi ni Naru. This one is a proper show (13 eps) and again, you can read the manga to get the rest of the story.

As for non-yuri romance anime, Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai and Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen (what's up long names lmao) are great.

Cath
02-12-2022, 02:30 PM
I am also a huge fan of Kimi ni Todoke! It's actually one of the very first romance anime I watched and it really left an impression (so much I had to buy the manga :rolleyes:). Kazehaya and Sawako's relationship is just so pure, I loved watching them grow both individually and as a couple. :sorrow:

If I had to pick one right now, I think I'd go with Violet Evergarden (especially the most recent movie, a must watch imo!). Everything about it is completely phenomenal to be honest. The story is great and poignant, the visuals are breathtaking and the soundtrack is simply outstanding! It didn't take long before I felt emotionally attached to the main character and I really enjoyed following her through her journey of self-discovery. It's definitely not your typical romance anime, but to me it's hands down the most beautiful and emotional one!

Hollow
02-23-2022, 12:18 PM
Your Name! I love love loveee the animation and artwork through out the entire movie. It may not be a series but I can't help but love the relationship between Taki and Mitsuha :)

Buizel
02-24-2022, 02:48 AM
In regards to both the Anime and Manga - Nisekoi! :) I often go back and re-read it but the characters are just super cute and I love it to death.

Komi Can't Communicate is also a good one. I've been trying to get into it recently, but a lot of characters are turn offs for me personality wise. :( So I've been reading painfully slow or skipping chapters and urgh. I am probably gonna have to drop and come back with a fresh mind on this one.

Aero
02-24-2022, 10:26 AM
Just commented this in the anime you recently watched thread... but Fruits Basket. It deals with romantic love, familial love, and platonic love really well.

Alister
02-24-2022, 10:40 AM
Romance isn't its main genre over fantasy/action, but Yona of the Dawn. It's one of my top favorite animes in general, if not my absolute favorite. It's got a love triangle, sort of, but handled in such a refreshing way between the characters. There's a flashback episode early on to when the three main characters were younger and there's a scene that absolutely steals my heart. If anyone else has seen it, the scene when Hak is sulking after arguing with Yona and their next interaction. Forever rooting for those two idiots to get married oh my god

For more comedy and overtly romance, Peach Girl is so over the top and melodramatic and cliched and ridiculous but I love it. A bit of a spoiler but

it has surprisingly good character development. Watching the main antagonist go from absolutely detestable True Evil to the absolute queen of Chaotic Neutral is a lot of fun.

DarkSkies
02-24-2022, 12:52 PM
I am also a huge fan of Kimi ni Todoke! It's actually one of the very first romance anime I watched and it really left an impression (so much I had to buy the manga :rolleyes:). Kazehaya and Sawako's relationship is just so pure, I loved watching them grow both individually and as a couple. :sorrow:

If I had to pick one right now, I think I'd go with Violet Evergarden (especially the most recent movie, a must watch imo!). Everything about it is completely phenomenal to be honest. The story is great and poignant, the visuals are breathtaking and the soundtrack is simply outstanding! It didn't take long before I felt emotionally attached to the main character and I really enjoyed following her through her journey of self-discovery. It's definitely not your typical romance anime, but to me it's hands down the most beautiful and emotional one!

Ahhh I still have Violet in my pending-must-see list. Have heard so good reviews from ppl I'm just terrible at procrastinating :fatigue:

Back to the topic. I'm not sure if it would be considered like 'romantic' but I really enjoyed seeing both EF A tale of Memories and a Tale of Melodies (loved both openings and animation though plot may get heavy or dramatic so not sure if classifies here).

I also remember seeing RomeoxJuliet anime, long and sweet with a bit of fantasy/mythology maybe??

Another one I saw but still missing almost all chapters (damn procrastination!) is The Ancient Magu's Bridge.

Those are the ones coming to my mind rn.

Cinnamoroll
02-26-2022, 05:19 PM
Your Name! I love love loveee the animation and artwork through out the entire movie. It may not be a series but I can't help but love the relationship between Taki and Mitsuha :)

Stop no because this one made me BAWL MY FRICKIN EYES OUT. I’ve watched it probably three or four times now. The story and the animation is so beautiful.

Also how did I miss this thread?! This is perfect for more romance anime recommendations!

I also have to agree with Kimi Ni Todoke. I read the manga in high school. I wish there was an anime adaption of Sand Chronicles. That is also about romance and emotions in general. I’ve mentioned it before but it has stuck with me for years!

Hollow
02-26-2022, 05:31 PM
Stop no because this one made me BAWL MY FRICKIN EYES OUT. I’ve watched it probably three or four times now. The story and the animation is so beautiful.

Also how did I miss this thread?! This is perfect for more romance anime recommendations!

I also have to agree with Kimi Ni Todoke. I read the manga in high school. I wish there was an anime adaption of Sand Chronicles. That is also about romance and emotions in general. I’ve mentioned it before but it has stuck with me for years!

RIGHT?! I WAS ON THE VERGE OF TEARS! But I was happy with the ending, despite how sad the movie was ;o;

Lilac Tentacles
03-06-2022, 07:42 PM
My recent fav is Wotaku ni Koi was Muzikashii. It has some funny moments but I appreciate the "slice of life" aspect where it can make fun of itself.
It's nice to find a main character not completely focused on himself so that half the show was internal dialogue simpering over whether girls like him. His attitude was refreshing from the normal manic male characters I've been seeing in my recent watches.
So when Narumi ends up with her nerd-boy, against all of her intentions, it's actually a cute love story in which I don't end up hating 1/2 of the intended couple.

Harvest Goddess
03-09-2022, 12:30 AM
Does Violet Evergarden count LOL (I cried the entire time but god it was beautiful)

I will say I did just finish Irina the Vampire Cosmonaut and I loved the romance in it.
It was an overall beautiful anime and the style was so beautiful

Synth Salazzle
03-09-2022, 11:23 AM
I'm just going to say dragon maid counts as a romance.

Cat Purrson
04-15-2022, 05:13 PM
I just finished Horimiya and it was so so good!! Highly recommend if you like shojo/slice of life romance!!

- - - Updated - - -

My recent fav is Wotaku ni Koi was Muzikashii. It has some funny moments but I appreciate the "slice of life" aspect where it can make fun of itself.
It's nice to find a main character not completely focused on himself so that half the show was internal dialogue simpering over whether girls like him. His attitude was refreshing from the normal manic male characters I've been seeing in my recent watches.
So when Narumi ends up with her nerd-boy, against all of her intentions, it's actually a cute love story in which I don't end up hating 1/2 of the intended couple.

I'm currently watching this now!!! Loving it so far!! It's nice to see a love story with actual adults and not high school kids for a change!

Lilac Tentacles
04-15-2022, 08:11 PM
I just finished Horimiya and it was so so good!! Highly recommend if you like shojo/slice of life romance!!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm currently watching this now!!! Loving it so far!! It's nice to see a love story with actual adults and not high school kids for a change!

OMG yes.

I forgot about that. The fact that it was adults in an office living boring ass adult lives. Like, it's so relatable. No, I do not get transported to magic kingdoms. I work in an office and want to fantasize about hot mysterious nerd-boys while I'm filing BS paperwork. I might watch this one again just to cleanse my brain from food wars.

Cat Purrson
04-16-2022, 12:42 AM
OMG yes.

I forgot about that. The fact that it was adults in an office living boring ass adult lives. Like, it's so relatable. No, I do not get transported to magic kingdoms. I work in an office and want to fantasize about hot mysterious nerd-boys while I'm filing BS paperwork. I might watch this one again just to cleanse my brain from food wars.

Ahh yes another one I need to watch! Will start it up after this one!

Lilac Tentacles
04-16-2022, 08:39 AM
Ahh yes another one I need to watch! Will start it up after this one!

Ok so fair bit of warning... It feels like a hentai. But it's not. Lol

Get through the first episode XD and ignore the tentacles.

Emerchy
04-18-2022, 04:36 AM

This, it's my all time favourite movie! :D

Hollow
04-18-2022, 04:40 AM
This, it's my all time favourite movie! :D

Right? It's such a beautiful movie!

Ghastly
04-26-2022, 02:05 AM
wotakoi: love is hard for an otaku is definitely my top romance anime! it's so wholesome, the characters are so adorable and relatable - i want my SO to do nerdy anime/gaming stuff with me LMAO

also the op/ed is sooo good!

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

ethereal
04-26-2022, 02:17 AM
I also love Kimi ni todoke so much, especially Kazehaya hes so adorable :')
Two older animes I liked are Itazura na Kiss and Lovely complex. Lovely complex is more rom-com and the art isn't as good as newer animes but it's hilarious. I realised after rewatching Itazura na Kiss again that Irie has all the red flags a guy could have but I liked how it went from high school all the way to marriage and with kids life.

Emerchy
05-03-2022, 06:12 AM
I've seen wotakoi / wotaku and horimiya mentioned a few times, I'll definitely have to give those ones a go! Hoping I'll find a few new anime series' that I love in this thread :P

Shazi
05-03-2022, 01:24 PM
paradise kiss! it came out when i was in high school & even as an old ass adult it's still my favorite.

Cinnamoroll
05-03-2022, 03:44 PM
paradise kiss! it came out when i was in high school & even as an old ass adult it's still my favorite.

Someone with ✨ taste ✨

Paradise Kiss is one of my all time favourite manga and animes! The fashion, the story, the art. It’s all so perfect and beautiful and I just adore it. I’ve been a fan since I was like, 14 and I’m nearing 30 now.
Definitely a great romance anime and I always recommend it to everyone.

Ismira
05-05-2022, 01:02 PM
*frantically jots down all recommendations* I'm a huge sucker for romance, be it books, webtoons, movies, or kdramas, so I'm always looking to expand my horizon! Unfortunately, I have nothing to share personally as I haven't watched a lot of anime, but it's never too late to start! :)

pillowfighter
05-31-2022, 12:36 AM
Kimi No Todoke was so, so good! For the longest time I didn’t realize there was a season 2 and I’m so glad I found it!
My Love Story is really silly and wholesome and I think is just a really good feel good romance anime.

Kibba
05-31-2022, 05:11 PM
I know it's not just a Romance Anime but Sword Art Online Kirito and Asuna Romance is by far one of the most romantic things I've seen in anime. IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL from beginning to end. Specially the last season :orange:

Klimate
05-31-2022, 06:25 PM
To name a few: Kamisama Kiss, Bunny Girl Senpai, Toradora, and Fruits Basket (if that counts!).

I will watch Kamisama Kiss over and over.