PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

rio
04-08-2021, 05:56 PM
Post the book you're currently reading, if you're enjoying it so far and if you'd recommend to others!

Feel free to come back and do a mini review when you're finished too.

Here is what I'm currently reading (spoiler to not clog up the first post, not for actual spoilers)

I'm a big fan of buying the cheap $1-$3 books on amazon kindle store. Some are so good, others not so much. I decided to branch out and buy a $9 book because it sounded great and had such high praise in the reviews, 4.8/5 *
It was called The Midnight Library. Its about a girl who is at her wits end with life and tries to end it but winds up in a "library". In this library there are infinite books based on the many directions her life could've taken if she had made one small change or decision differently. If she reads the first line of the book she enters that alternative life and if she isn't disappointed with it she will stay in that life and have another shot at living.

I was not a fan. It was such a cool idea for a story but it just seemed to go nowhere and be based around teaching you a life lesson, like a childrens fable. I didn't understand where all the amazing reviews were coming from! Has anyone read it?

Koto
04-08-2021, 06:04 PM
What a neat idea rio!

I have not read Midnight Library, but it sounds vaguely familiar, somehow.

I am currently rereading The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. I know that Circe really made the rounds when it came out (and I've read it!) but I think that Song of Achilles is better written and more compelling. I would argue that it's one of the best love stories I've ever read - I weep every time because everything about the way that the characters are written and brought together is :chef's kiss:.

kittyray
04-08-2021, 06:20 PM
Depending on how we decide to define "currently" it's either 'nothing' or about six different books i've read at least the start of, but then got distracted.

I recently reorganized my books and pulled off all the ones in that category, plus a few of my more recent purchases, and set them aside. I can see them from my desk while I work. Maybe I'll finally get to them.

Axiom's End - Lindsay Ellis - '...the novel is about a U.S. government coverup of contact with extraterrestrial life. '

Because Internet - Gretchen McCulloch - 'is for anyone who's ever puzzled over how to punctuate a text message or wondered where memes come from'

Bell Jar, The - Sylvia Plath - '... chronicles the crack-up of Esther Greenwood: brilliant, beautiful, enormously talented, and successful, but slowly going under—maybe for the last time'

Broad Band - Claire L Evans - '... explores the development of the Internet through contributions made by women. '

Fic - Anne Jamison - '... is a groundbreaking exploration of the history and culture of fan writing and what it means for the way we think about reading, writing, and authorship'

My Year Of Rest And Relaxation - Ottessa Moshfegh - '... the story of a year spent under the influence of a truly mad combination of drugs designed to heal our heroine from her alienation from this world, Moshfegh shows us how reasonable, even necessary, alienation can be.'

Paul Takes The Form Of A Mortal Girl - Andrea Lawlor - 'It’s 1993 and Paul Polydoris tends bar at the only gay club in a university town thrumming with politics and partying. He studies queer theory, has a dyke best friend, makes zines, and is a flâneur with a rich dating life. But Paul’s also got a secret: he’s a shapeshifter.'

Plain Bad Heroines - Emily M Danforth - 'Our story begins in 1902, at The Brookhants School for Girls. Flo and Clara, two impressionable students, are obsessed with each other and with a daring young writer named Mary MacLane, the author of a scandalous bestselling memoir.'

Severance - Ling Ma - 'Severance is a 2018 satirical science fiction novel by the Chinese-American author Ling Ma. It follows Candace Chen, an unfulfilled Bible product coordinator, before and after Shen Fever slowly obliterates global civilization.'

Undersea Network, The - Nicole Starosielski - 'In our "wireless" world it is easy to take the importance of the undersea cable systems for granted, but the stakes of their successful operation are huge, as they are responsible for carrying almost all transoceanic Internet traffic.'

Understanding Fandom - Mark Duffett - 'Fans used to be seen as an overly obsessed fraction of the audience. In the last few decades, shifts in media technology and production have instead made fandom a central mode of consumption. '

We Are Never Meeting In Real Life: Essays - Samantha Irby - '... she's as deft at poking fun at the ghosts of her past self as she is at capturing powerful emotional truths.'

Zeroes And Ones - Sadie Plant - 'A highly contentious, very readable and totally up-to-the-minute investigation of women’s natural relationship with modern technology, an association which, Plant argues, will trigger a new sexual revolution.'

Flordibel
04-08-2021, 07:35 PM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

My current obsession is Gideon the Ninth, the first book of The Locked Tomb trilogy!
[Only registered and activated users can see links] 252F%253Furl%253Dimages.weserv.nl%25252F%25253Furl %25253Dimages.weserv.nl%2525252F%2525253Furl%25252 53Den.wikipedia.org%252525252Fwiki%252525252FGideo n_the_Ninth%2525252523%252525252Fmedia%252525252FF ile%252525253AGideon_the_Ninth_-_US_hardback_print_cover.jpg

LESBIAN NECROMANCERS

that is all.

(Actually it's not all - it's got excellent worldbuilding, horror, necromancy, fantasy, murder mystery... lesbians... it's REALLY good, with excellent meme references that I did not expect. It's gothic horror mixed with contemporary humor.)

Plot summary (spoiler-free):

The Emperor needs necromancers.

The Ninth Necromancer needs a swordswoman.

Gideon has a sword, some dirty magazines, and no more time for undead nonsense.

Brought up by unfriendly, ossifying nuns, ancient retainers, and countless skeletons, Gideon is ready to abandon a life of servitude and an afterlife as a reanimated corpse. She packs up her sword, her shoes, and her dirty magazines, and prepares to launch her daring escape. But her childhood nemesis won’t set her free without a service.

Harrowhark Nonagesimus, Reverend Daughter of the Ninth House and bone witch extraordinaire, has been summoned into action. The Emperor has invited the heirs to each of his loyal Houses to a deadly trial of wits and skill. If Harrowhark succeeds she will be become an immortal, all-powerful servant of the Resurrection, but no necromancer can ascend without their cavalier. Without Gideon’s sword, Harrow will fail, and the Ninth House will die.

Of course, some things are better left dead.

The second book is called Harrow the Ninth, and the third - yet unreleased - is called Alecto the Ninth. I can't wait!

Menine
04-10-2021, 12:52 PM
My brother gifted me Bram Stoker's Dracula and I'm enjoying it soooo much :)

The dark atmosphere and the classic writing style is delightful! I know that it's a very popular book but, for anyone that never read it before, I was pleasantly surprised that it is written in a epistolary form. It makes me feel closer to the narrator. I can't wait to finish it!

Charmander
04-10-2021, 01:00 PM
I actually started reading the Witcher series after watching the Netflix season. Totally wish I had read them before watching the series as it would have made way more sense hah. I haven't had a chance to sit and read for a while I should get back into it.

rio
04-17-2021, 04:37 PM
Thank you all for expanding my 'to read' list (and you, Menine, for expanding my vocab with epistolary)

Currently reading Whisper Network by Chandler Baker. Similar to previous read in that it rates highly with 50k odd ratings. It has a slow start (I actually started it months ago and got bored) but am persevering and it is picking up at roughly 40% in. Definitely not something I want to binge read, but entertaining enough so far. Seems a bit stuck between what type of book it wants to be with chapters of "me too" mishmashed with police interviews about a suspicious death :S we shall see...

Android
04-17-2021, 08:53 PM
Oops, edited because I thought I posted in the music thread!

I've currently been reading Death at SeaWorld by David Kirby. I'm really interested in animal welfare and the many unexplored aspects of it.

Ice
04-18-2021, 02:55 PM
oh oh oh this thread is everything, very eager to get more books on my everlasting to-read list!!

these days I primarily just read Drarry fics in my free time to fill the void but when I was younger I'd go on HUGE book binges where I'd just spend days tearing through ~10 books to get my fill of reading for a year. xD always YA fantasy/action/adventure/romance for the most part :rolleyes:

currently reading (well, dropped lol)
so I read a fic that said it was based off this book called "Call Me By Your Name" by Andre Aciman and while the fic was fine, I got through the first "part"/fourth of the book and I had to stop reading. :cold: I will admit it's probably just one of those "not for me" things but I found it SO pretentious. that is I guess, the nature/theme of the book - as it's essentially a world view from the eyes of academic youths - and above all, boring. maybe it picks up later in the book since I didn't get to the "time skip" section, but I really couldn't stomach any more of the writing style for little to no pay off lmao.

wiki summary:
Call Me by Your Name is a 2007 novel by American writer André Aciman ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) that centers on a blossoming romantic relationship between an intellectually precocious and curious 17-year-old American-Italian Jewish boy named Elio Perlman and a visiting 24-year-old American Jewish scholar named Oliver in 1980s Italy. The novel chronicles their summer romance and the 20 years that follow.

Some things on my to-read list, suggested by others
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern [Only registered and activated users can see links]
The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern [Only registered and activated users can see links]

They said The Night Circus was considerably better than The Starless Sea (which was her 1st book).

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (series) [Only registered and activated users can see links]

The last couple series I read personally over the years that I recall/enjoyed
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson (first trilogy ONLY) [Only registered and activated users can see links]
I know this is a real popular one, and I enjoyed the first 3 books a lot. After that segment ended however, I read the first book of the next trilogy in the series and it really wasn't my cup of tea. Don't really care for things that are in an old western type setting.

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas (series) [Only registered and activated users can see links]
This definitely ticks all my boxes and I haven't read the 4th installment yet - lovely fantasy/action/romance :o_o: although this was the last het romance series I read, I definitely loved it a lot and hell yea faeries also I'm pretty sure there is someone here who is also a big fan and I salute you :3

I need more fantasy romance recs, + points if it's m/m bc that's my current kick ;)

Erik.
04-18-2021, 05:01 PM
Cool thread! I'm currently reading a book on the village Montaillou - which was one of the last Cathar (heretics) thresholds in the early 14th century until the Inquisition wiped them all out. What's fascinating is that this time the Inquisition, under guidance of Jacques Fournier, the bishop of Pamiers who later became Pope Benedict XII (and was a rigid ass-hat), collected and wrote down all witness statements, which were a lot, so that we really know a lot about how people lived back then, what they did during the day, what they thought, with whom they fought, who had sex with whom and why etc. It really brings people who lived 700 years ago back to life. Almost like The Hills but then during the Middle Ages lol.

Dot
04-27-2021, 04:40 AM

I have not read Midnight Library, but it sounds vaguely familiar, somehow.

I am currently rereading The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. I know that Circe really made the rounds when it came out (and I've read it!) but I think that Song of Achilles is better written and more compelling. I would argue that it's one of the best love stories I've ever read - I weep every time because everything about the way that the characters are written and brought together is :chef's kiss:.
This at the top of my TBR list! There's not enough antiquity romance out there, and I hope this novel inspires other authors to maybe ditch the regency period and Middle Ages as their setting, and maaaybe explore regions outside the English speaking world.

I started Midnight Library for the same reasons you did, and I disliked it quite a bit (I got about 50 pages in before giving up on it). It was just very obviously written and filled with cliches. I was really disappointed considering the loads of praise.

What I did enjoy, though, was a book I just finished called The Three Body Problem ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) by Liu Cixin. If you're into science fiction, check it out :encouragement:

41944 ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Picked this up on a whim in the book store, and did not expect my mind to be blown. What delicious sci-fi! Looking forward to David Benioff and D. B. Weiss' butchering this!

Cool thread! I'm currently reading a book on the village Montaillou - which was one of the last Cathar (heretics) thresholds in the early 14th century until the Inquisition wiped them all out. What's fascinating is that this time the Inquisition, under guidance of Jacques Fournier, the bishop of Pamiers who later became Pope Benedict XII (and was a rigid ass-hat), collected and wrote down all witness statements, which were a lot, so that we really know a lot about how people lived back then, what they did during the day, what they thought, with whom they fought, who had sex with whom and why etc. It really brings people who lived 700 years ago back to life. Almost like The Hills but then during the Middle Ages lol.
We discussed this during an introductory course for history, and this really sparked my interest for microhistory. I should add this to my TBR list.

Currently (re)reading The Incarnations by Susan Barker. I do not understand the negative one star reviews on Goodreads that try to compare this to Cloud Atlas and then get disappointed. It has similar themes, but that doesn't mean that the author tried to write the next Cloud Atlas. The ones that gave one star reviews due to there being darker themes that may trigger people I also fail to understand. We currently live in the most peaceful time compared to the rest of the history of humankind, could be way more dangerous and violent. Anyway, I love this book, and when I first bought it I finished it on the same day.
[Only registered and activated users can see links] ds.com%2Fbooks%2F1486861555l%2F23492504._SX318_.jp g

Bookshelf
05-12-2021, 11:36 PM
I just finished House In The Cerulean Sea and I'd recommend it to anyone! It was a fun and compelling read, and I loved the characterization in it a lot.

Currently, I'm working my way through the Darker Shade of Magic trilogy by V.E. Schwab. I'm not super far in, but I'm having a good time so far! :)

lagrima
05-15-2021, 11:25 AM
Currently reading Gideon the Ninth, the plot and characters are interesting, but I'm having trouble finishing it because of the writing. Nothing wrong with it, but English isn't my first language and for some reason the writing in this book is harder to follow than what I'm used to. :(

SabiSweaters
05-16-2021, 05:24 PM
Right now I'm reading The Galaxy and the Ground Within. I really love the Wayfarers series and would definitely recommend it to anyone who's interested in science fiction. Becky Chambers is an amazing author, and her works covers a lot more diverse subject matter than traditional sci-fi, so if you wish sci-fi was more inclusive, then the first book in the series, A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, is perfect for you! It includes polyamorous Sapphic aliens.

kittyray
05-20-2021, 07:32 PM
Update on my list: finished up Axiom's End a few days ago. It was fine. I enjoyed it but it...wasn't great. The next one I'm going for is Plain Bad Heroines.

Goddammit
05-23-2021, 03:00 PM
So I love greek mythology a lot and am obsessed with a webcomic called Lore Olympus. Through some of the FB groups, I gathered some recommendations for a series by Scarlett St. Clair. The first book, A Touch of Darkness, I finished yesterday and now I'm waiting for the other two that I've ordered to come. We also just recently ordered the Invincible graphic novel compendiums but they're arriving all out of order so I have to wait to read those.

carrottea
05-28-2021, 01:32 PM
Currently listening to two audiobooks: Treasure Island (fresh off a Black Sails kick, needed the sequel lol), and The Anatomy of Fascism by Robert O. Paxton

Also reading One Hundred Years of Solitude (this is my 3rd time trying to get through it.... the farthest I've ever gone), Feminist Theory from Margin to Center, and I'm at the very beginning of The Odyssey

Trash Panda
08-05-2021, 06:48 PM
I'm about to start reading Dune, it's been sitting in my bookshelf forever and I've never read it before.

Cookie Tray
08-06-2021, 10:37 PM
Does a web novel count as a book? lol! I am currently reading Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint, and I'm almost halfway done.

Peanutface
08-07-2021, 08:46 AM
Lincoln on the Verge

j03
08-07-2021, 09:57 AM
Currently reading "Can't Hurt Me" by David Goggins. Great read for anyone that needs a good push in their life.

TsUNaMy WaVe
08-11-2021, 08:09 AM
Last night I started and finished The Dutch House (by Ann Patchett) in one go (resulting in me going to bed at 6am). I was not ready for how good it was!

Zenitsu
08-17-2021, 05:44 PM
The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

If you struggle with thoughts I highly recommend this book. Completely changed my life and helped me for the better. 10/10

Goddammit
09-12-2021, 04:30 AM
In preparation of the series coming out, I've been re-reading Y: The Last Man graphic novels since it's been a long time and I want to refresh my memory.

kittyray
09-12-2021, 12:05 PM
I finished Good Omens recently and haven't decided what's next yet. My books are still a bit disorganized and my "coming up next" shelf was scattered.

Goddammit
09-12-2021, 08:13 PM
I finished Good Omens recently and haven't decided what's next yet. My books are still a bit disorganized and my "coming up next" shelf was scattered.

*whispers* Sandman

kittyray
09-12-2021, 08:27 PM
*whispers* Sandman

oooh, I haven't read that one yet, but I might try to stick with books I already own but haven't read yet, but it is on my mental backlog

Painwheel
09-14-2021, 04:39 PM
Nonviolent communication from Marshall Rosemberg! It's an important step to be the best version of myself.

dustyc
09-14-2021, 05:17 PM
I admittedly don't read as many books as I would like to so I picked up a copy of The Dark Crystal at a thrift store on a whim. I'd heard of the movie and have a lot of friends who like it, and figured it must have been based on this book. It wasn't until after I started reading it that I realized it was the other way around- book based on the movie, meh. :P I'm a chapter in so far, and struggling to really get pulled into the story/world, I think I may have a weak imagination and fantasy just isn't for me. I'm just gonna give it another chapter or two before I give up on it.

PabstBlueRibbon
09-25-2021, 10:44 PM
I'm reading the DFZ trilogy by Rachel Aaron (Minimum Wage Mage, Part Time Gods & Night Shift Dragons). It's urban fantasy YAesque, but I really like the setting. I really want to put something together to run a 5e campaign out of it. It's really nicely put together as a setting and I like the magic logic in particular.

For something more adult, I've discovered Cassandra Khaw's horror mini novels. Hammers on Bone, Nothing but Blackened Teeth, and the Gods and Monsters series (mini as in each book is a novella). I never really appreciated horror/suspense writing before, outside of Stephen King, and Dean Koonts, but she has a real supernatural horror angle that I greatly enjoyed.

Sinnamoon
10-02-2021, 07:20 PM
I just finished reading Alex Trebek's autobiography (the old host of Jeopardy) and man was it good. I never read autobiographies, but my brother got it for my birthday, and I finally finished it after a year, haha. Made me want to get back into reading books. (Embarassing, but I have about 15 Warrior Cats books in my closet from not too long ago, LOL. I'd like to pick them up and read them again for old time's sake.)

Menine
11-04-2021, 05:40 PM
Victor Hugo's The man who laughs

Alister
11-04-2021, 05:47 PM
The Stand by Stephen King. It's a book that I always fall into a trap with: I take it with me on a trip for the plane ride, get super into it while on the trip, then abandon when I get home. I just went out to visit friends and took it with me to start for the third time but I swear to Fyora I'm actually going to finish it this time.

Kaizer
11-06-2021, 12:53 AM
Its... webnovels etc.
Overlord, Solo Leveling, Full Time Magician
Fantasy titles, if you enjoy them do check them out!

Maelstra
11-06-2021, 02:13 AM
Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson.

this is a book assigned by my kiddos curriculum; and I've enjoyed it more than I expected.
Some of the older language and idioms can be a bit tough to figure out; but I do feel it's worth the effort.

kittyray
11-06-2021, 02:22 AM
I haven't settled into a new book yet, so I'm kind of dancing around with a couple.

Truth Of The Divine (Lindsay Ellis)
The Undersea Network (Nicole Starosielski)
Devolution (Max Brooks)

Koto
11-06-2021, 12:26 PM
Working my way through the Terra Ignota series by Ada Palmer as the fourth and final book is being released! Currently on The Will to Battle (book 3) and it's definitely a leeeeeeettle bit slower than the other two.

This series honestly just has such an incredibly rich world: utopian meets dystopian meets historical meets space sci-fi. Its definitely unique in the writing style and the themes (read: not for everyone) but I have been loving it so far.

ALSO the next instalment of the Old Kingdom series (Elinor and Terciel) dropped and I pre-ordered it back in February so I have some extra motivation to finish Terra :3c

Cinnamoroll
11-06-2021, 01:40 PM
I just picked up My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell. I am excited to start it!

Remy
11-11-2021, 03:05 AM
Life 3.0, bit of a bucket list book for me, it's very interesting so far and makes you a little uneasy about the possible future of A.I. Only a couple of chapters in and so far it's designed a streaming service and every show on it in order to legitimise it's gains from learning to read and predict the stock market and crypto world... Alexa needs to step up :rolleyes:

My friend bought me Ready Player Two as a birthday gift so that's lined up next after the existential dread of a realistic super A.I. becoming smarter than humans.

saltfiend
11-19-2021, 02:46 AM
I recently finished the two books that have come out so far for The Locked Tomb series. Always been a fan of sci-fi and fantasy w/ a necromancy focus so that was kind of a no-brainer for me. Aside from that, I recently read through David Chang's memoir which was really good. I'd recommend it if you like Anthony Bourdain-flavour of "celebrity chef". Really interesting lives behind both those folks tbh.

kittyray
11-19-2021, 02:55 AM
I haven't settled into a new book yet, so I'm kind of dancing around with a couple.

Truth Of The Divine (Lindsay Ellis)
The Undersea Network (Nicole Starosielski)
Devolution (Max Brooks)

I haven't continued any of these books and instead read the introductions/forwards/beginning bits of two other books: Speaking Code and 10 PRINT CHR$(205.5+RND(1)); : GOTO 10

My brain has felt very scattered so I don't think I'm gonna settle on something any time soon.

DarkSkies
11-19-2021, 11:43 PM
Well I don't know if this counts but I'm reading Steel Ball Run manga with my hubby. We finished Stone Ocean so where expecting the anime release on Netflix :)

PabstBlueRibbon
11-25-2021, 01:52 PM
Currently reading The Blacktongue Thief so right now I'm having weird D&D campaign vibes. So far... the worldbuilding is interesting, but pretty involved, I'm liking the background history. It makes the world feel pretty big, but there's tiny sociological-stuff that I'm not quite following along with yet.

The only part I don't like is the dialogue. I like a lot of talk in books generally, especially if characters are supposed to be smart. But everyone seems a little too good at stringing together lyrics off the cuff. Now. I'm witty and quippy, and I roll alliterations off with no problem pretty often and I'm properly passable at puns. But I can't pull off half of the dialogue in this book as natural.

So it's slightly overwritten in that regard, and the talk feels just at touch scripted. It might get better as I read along. But the world and plot are carrying it so far.

Yoon
12-10-2021, 01:42 AM
still reeling from the idiot by doesdoevsky or whatever his name is. thinking about brothers karazamov next but i think i want a break from st petersberg antics, sick of imagining cobbles. Gonna start reading Ubik now i think, does anyone else use goodreads?

Sone
12-14-2021, 04:53 PM
After trying five separate bookstores with it being sold out in each, my order for Iron Widow has finally arrived today, so once I pick it up I'll be reading it asap! Super excited.
Last month I burned through Fire and Blood in like two days. I have mixed feels over it, but I think it was just the narrative style.

Stunna
12-31-2021, 03:00 AM
Game of thrones second book

radius
01-01-2022, 03:36 PM
Finally picked up The First Law trilogy! Excited to get into it :k

Trash Panda
01-19-2022, 05:02 PM
Just finished reading Project Hail Mary from Andy Weir! I was extremely pleased and Weir has a special talent for making very technical stuff super interesting.

I got a bunch of books for Christmas and my B-Day so I have a looooong list books pending and I'm hella excited :)

I just staretd Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky and after that IDK if I should go with Ursula K. Le Guin or Isabel Allende. But yeps, off to read! :P

SpaceyGirl
01-20-2022, 02:17 PM
I just finished The Chemist by Stephanie Meyer (Twilight author lol). The book started very well and was super intriguing but then started (not a real spoiler but I'm pointing out a direction it went towards)
leaning heavily towards romance which was super different from the beginning's survivalist / brainy start, which I wasn't into. I mean, I like romances when it makes sense but I wasn't sold that it made sense this time.

Right after that, I dived into Lisa Gardner's Look for Me, which was so good I finished in a few days! The strong female protagonists that's been through some shit was a real nice read for someone who's currently struggling with life. It also touched upon the foster care system which I'm super interested in. In the end, I couldn't figure out who did it after all the clues, but I enjoyed the book. Will probably get more Lisa Gardner books in the future!

I managed to find Alice Sebold (author of Lovely Bones)'s The Almost Moon at a sale price so I'm reading that right now. The first few pages is about a super angry mother so I already connected with it, even though I'm only a couple chapters in... Can't wait to see what happens.

Charmander
01-20-2022, 02:47 PM
I currently started re-reading Harry Potter again. However, this time it is turning into a night time routine of reading a chapter out loud to my kiddo before bed. Hoping they enjoy them as much as I did!

AnonBuySellTrade
02-06-2022, 01:00 AM
I'm reading Exposure: Poisoned Water by Robert Bilott. I bought it after watching the movie Dark Waters. Both are excellent!

kittyray
02-27-2022, 07:04 PM
Just read My Year Of Rest And Relaxation in basically one sitting. I was reading a chapter at a time outside when the days were nice and got through the first three that way, but I've been sick and today it felt like a good time to curl up with it.

Overall really enjoyed it. None of the characters are likeable, but they were engaging and I felt invested in their stories. Some aspects were a little overdone and you had to suspend disbelief and certain parts fell flat, but overall I really enjoyed it.
The entire book had this looming anxiety of being set in pre-9/11 Manhattan (the titular year starts in June 2000), and you could see it coming a mile away (two different characters are mentioned to have worked in the towers), so the entire time I was wondering if it was gonna stick the landing and I'm not totally sure if it did.

Emerchy
03-27-2022, 02:53 PM
I'm currently re-reading Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers, it's been ages since I first read it :P

kittyray
03-27-2022, 03:07 PM
I started reading Severance by Ling Ma ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) recently.
I bought it around the start of the pandemic but before shit really started hitting the fan and in the end I didn't want to lean into things, but now I'm finally getting around to it!

Ismira
03-28-2022, 03:04 PM
I'll admit, I haven't actually started it yet, but Chain of Gold is most likely the next book I'll spend endless nights ruminating over and falling just a smidge head over heels on unattainable, fictitious male leads lol. Same author of The Mortal Instruments if there are any Cassandra Clare fans here! :)

Trash Panda
04-01-2022, 01:42 PM
La casa de los espíritus by Isabel Allende. I'm just a few pages in, but it's quite something. I'm really liking it!

Cat Purrson
04-01-2022, 05:27 PM
Currently reading a manga series called Lovesick Ellie and it's very funny. It's a romance manga and I'm a sucker for them haha

Hollow
04-03-2022, 02:39 PM
I'm currently reading Pride and Prejudice because I never got to finish it in English Lit when I was still at school :)

Shazi
04-03-2022, 04:27 PM
i'm currently reading tampa by alissa nutting, it's gross. i just finished the foundling by ann leary which should've been great because the story had potential but it was pretty badly written.

Trash Panda
04-08-2022, 04:13 PM
Just started My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix. It's a horror novel placed in the late 80's. So far, it's been quite interesting and fun to read :)

Ghastly
04-08-2022, 04:32 PM
i recently finished Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. it’s a pretty interesting and honestly, kind of trippy, coming of age story. pretty wild ride, and a bit vivid; would definitely recommend!

Kovac-Muldoon
04-17-2022, 01:08 AM
The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind by Gustave LeBon has been interesting but it requires a level of cynicism that I think most people would reject reflexively. The author's ability to explain what a societal identity is, how it forms and how it breaks down is pretty intriguing even if you don't agree with all of the conclusions he reaches. I would recommend it solely to follow along with some of the patterns he recognizes and decide for yourself if human civilization is truly so predictable and inherently tied to instincts that seldom if ever place any value in truth or reason.

TipsyTay
04-21-2022, 12:35 PM
I just finished reading Pachinko which I enjoyed even though it was more depressing than I expected. Definitely an interesting story though and I want to watch the show that was recently released. I just started Where the Crawdads Sing because I like the actress who is playing the main character in the movie that's being released over the summer. Unfortunately, not loving the book so far. I just really don't like split-time perspectives in books.

Lyrichord
04-27-2022, 01:08 AM
Currently reading Liz Carver and Josh Green's "What's Your Enneatype: An Essential Guide to the Enneagram." I found out about the book through their Instagram page.

I also recently skimmed through Michelle Rial's "Am I Overthinking This: Over-Answering Life's Questions in 101 Charts" which I think quite a few people here would enjoy.

Nattiee
04-27-2022, 08:03 AM
Atomic Habits by James Clear.
Highly recommend if anyone is into self-help books and actively working on growth/self-improvement.

missymontero
04-27-2022, 08:15 PM
Outlander book 9 and bits and pieces of book 6 in preparation of season 6 finale on sunday may 1. cannot wait for this episode!!

Trash Panda
05-02-2022, 12:37 PM
Currently halfway of The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.
I did watch the first season already, but it's cool to be reading the source material!

TipsyTay
05-08-2022, 12:27 AM
I finished reading "Where the Crawdads Sing" a few days ago... maybe a week ago? It took me forever (by my standards) to get through but ended up thinking it was fine. Definitely not my fav. Since then, I read A History of Wild Places by Shea Ernshaw. I thought the writing wasn't super strong, but it grew on me and the story was interesting enough! I then just started and finished Book Lovers by Emily Henry today. Super easy read, knew I would enjoy it since I enjoyed her other two books. It almost beat out Beach Read, but not quite!! Still, I liked it a lot and liked it so much better than People We Meet on Vacation. I think I'm going to start The Hacienda by Isabel Canas tonight or tomorrow. It was my book of the month (the subscription service) pick, so I thought I'd check it out!

kittyray
05-08-2022, 01:03 AM
I finished Severance a couple weeks ago. I really enjoyed it and was definitely interesting but eerie to see some of the parallels to the behavior/reactions people had during the pandemic.

I haven't decided what to read next yet. I'm a little burnt out so I think I need either something kind of light or an essay/short story collection so things are bite-sized. Time to peruse the many unread books on my shelves to see what fits the bill.

(lmao at me grabbing Godel, Escher, and Bach out of one of my boxes of things in my parents' basement thinking that was definitely gonna be my next read)

Trash Panda
05-08-2022, 06:46 PM
The Marlow Murder Club by Robert Thorogood. It's supposed to be like a modern Agatha Christie with a 70 y/o lady as the protagonist. So far it's been fun to read! :)

Tater
06-08-2022, 06:39 PM
I watched the 2 seasons of Bridgerton on Netflix and fell in love. My mother in law was reading the series and actually just finished the last one. So I decided to pick up the entire series when it was on sale online. I'm just about done with the first one (slow read since I saw the show first). I love it though, I can't wait to dig into the other stories.

ashimari
06-16-2022, 09:54 PM
Started the first Mistborn book recently!

Spunkii
06-17-2022, 01:25 AM
Almost finished the Sword of Destiny from the Witcher series. I haven't had a lot of time to sit down & just finish the damn thing. At least this and the first book are a collection of short stories, which it's good to pick up after not looking at them for a long period of time.

Trash Panda
06-29-2022, 11:45 PM
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, for like the 20th time

Double.Trouble
08-05-2022, 07:06 PM
All my friends and my partner are obsessed with Brandon Sanderson, and I feel left out of their convos.
So...I'm reading Mistborn.

GreyFaerie
08-15-2022, 07:57 AM
I started reading I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy. I saw that everyone was talking about it everywhere and used an English assignment as an excuse to buy it.
Honestly, I had only seen the cover and the title, I didn't know what to expect. I've only read the first few chapters and it's hard...
When I finish it I'll make an in-depth comment.

kittyray
08-15-2022, 10:20 AM
I started reading I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy. I saw that everyone was talking about it everywhere and used an English assignment as an excuse to buy it.
Honestly, I had only seen the cover and the title, I didn't know what to expect. I've only read the first few chapters and it's hard...

I listened to a few episodes of her podcast a couple years ago and I'm really interested in reading it, but also fully expecting it to be a difficult read, so I haven't jumped on it yet.

Shazi
08-16-2022, 01:00 PM
i really want to read i'm glad my mom died. currently i'm reading empire of the vampire by jay kristoff. it's really good. very long.

TsUNaMy WaVe
08-30-2022, 01:59 PM
Started a book on Friday night, and finished it in one sitting (until 4am lmao).
The book was "The Twins of Piolenc" (idk if it has English TL? It's French but I read it in Hebrew, that's the name I found from a quick google). It's a psychological thriller about a recent child abduction case, which highly reminds the town of similar case from 30 years ago when two 11 years old kids, twins, got abducted never to be seen again.
The "thriller" part was no joke and I couldn't put it down. There were some very shocking/disturbing twists that kept it even more intriguing. I really didn't expect that lol.

hearts
08-30-2022, 02:21 PM

I'm not an avid reader...at all admittedly...but this title intrigued me and based on the rumors and little info I already know, I feel like this book could hold my attention!

goodnightmoon
08-30-2022, 05:43 PM
Outlander book 9 and bits and pieces of book 6 in preparation of season 6 finale on sunday may 1. cannot wait for this episode!!

How do you like Outlander? I've been considering reading them - I have two friends who are AVID readers. one is a massive Outlander fan and the other can't stand Outlander haha. getting mixed vibes here! would love your take/synopsis.

-

for me, I've been super stressed out so i've been reading "easy reads". A lot of Taylor Jenkins Reid (Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo was great!), Colleen Hoovert, etc. I'm flying through those books, and they're not all that particularly good. will definitely be going back through and trying out some of everyone's recs!

Hollow
09-26-2022, 03:21 PM
I have decided to re-read Pride and Prejudice again! I love this book so much.

kittyray
09-26-2022, 03:28 PM
I made my way through The Southern Reach trilogy over the past couple of months. It took a long time because I didn't buy all three at once (and actually each installment I bought in a different state). I really liked the atmospheric horror vibe and found them to be pretty easy reads.

LibraryFaerie
12-01-2022, 11:33 AM
So I'm not currently reading it (because I finished it in one sitting) but it was The Walkthrough: Insider Tales from a Life in Strategy Guides by Doug Walsh. It was short (only 150 pages I think?). Basically, a memoir about this author's life while he was employed by BradyGames writing strategy guides. It was soooo interesting and I think would likely appeal to a lot of people here! I was avid about strategy guides in the pre and early internet days and they're still some of my most treasured books. It's actually motivated me to start looking for them at used video games stores again. It was FACINATING to get a behind the scenes look at what goes into writing one. I only wish it was longer!!! The author has written over 100 strategy guides and I would've like to see him give details or anecdotes about each book. I found myself getting side tracked quite a bit looking up games he talked about that I wasn't familiar with.

Always check your local library first! But in case they don't have it, the ebook was only $3 (USD)

kittyray
12-13-2022, 05:35 PM
I finally finished The Anthropocene Reviewed recently. I really took my time, sometimes waiting months between reading one essay and the next, with other books in between. I have poles of different to-read books all over my apartment, but haven't figured out which one feels right to pick up next.

Maia
01-19-2023, 04:43 PM
currently reading Oathbringer, part of the Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson
so far the series is amazing and i can't put down the books lol

Shazi
01-21-2023, 06:17 PM
i just finished the rook by daniel o'malley and i seriously wanna recommend it to everyone here bc it was so good!

Excalibur
01-21-2023, 08:44 PM
im a freaking weirdo, so in my spare time i read the haynes manuals lol currently on: Datsun 280ZX (1979-1983) Haynes Repair Manual

Mothman
01-21-2023, 09:47 PM

just bought this book, haven’t started it yet but it’s vampire cowboys :K

Shinx
01-21-2023, 10:10 PM
I started reading Eragon again, it was a great series!

aeroryuu
02-12-2023, 05:06 PM
I do a lot of audiobooks, so I'm listening to Fairest of All by Serena Valentino. It's the Disney Villain's series and I love it.

I'm also reading a bit of manga.

Mothman
02-12-2023, 05:12 PM

just bought this book, haven’t started it yet but it’s vampire cowboys :K

Just want to check back and report - the book rocked. A little Stephen King mixed with a vampire horror story.

transformers
02-14-2023, 07:06 PM
I recently started reading A Court of Thorns and Roses, because I lost a bet lol. I haven't really felt like reading more of it so far though, so I guess that says something about my opinion so far.

Dasvidaniya
02-27-2023, 11:48 PM
I recently started reading A Court of Thorns and Roses, because I lost a bet lol. I haven't really felt like reading more of it so far though, so I guess that says something about my opinion so far.

I actually keep hearing about this series in some of my unrelated groups and have been thinking to start it. It seems to have a cult following, though I don't know a thing about it lol. If it's a dystopian YA series though, I'm here for it!

transformers
02-28-2023, 08:31 AM
I actually keep hearing about this series in some of my unrelated groups and have been thinking to start it. It seems to have a cult following, though I don't know a thing about it lol. If it's a dystopian YA series though, I'm here for it!

It DOES seem to have a cult following! It's a little scary. It's not dystopian though, sorry! It's a new adult fantasy romance. I think I got all the labels right, haha.

Dasvidaniya
02-28-2023, 09:12 AM
It DOES seem to have a cult following! It's a little scary. It's not dystopian though, sorry! It's a new adult fantasy romance. I think I got all the labels right, haha.
Haha well that’s close enough honestly! I can totally get behind adult fantasy romance xD
Hopefully Libby has it available as an audiobook!

transformers
02-28-2023, 10:12 AM
Haha well that’s close enough honestly! I can totally get behind adult fantasy romance xD
Hopefully Libby has it available as an audiobook!

I'd be surprised if it doesn't have it tbh, with how popular it is!

redfields
02-28-2023, 10:37 AM
I'm about to start Hell Followed With Us by Andrew Joseph White- not a book I might have gone for myself (I really like reading silly fantasy) but it was a gift from a friend and they really loved it, so I'm hoping I enjoy it just as much. If what they've told me is anything to go by, I think I will!

Plot synopsis and a few comments that are directly related to the synopsis tucked in below, but it's a book about a teen escaping the cult that brought about Armageddon, so if you have a complicated history or relationship with religion (and especially fundamentalism) it might be a bit hit or miss. I'm emotionally prepared for it. Probably.

"Sixteen-year-old trans boy Benji is on the run from the cult that raised him—the fundamentalist sect that unleashed Armageddon and decimated the world’s population. Desperately, he searches for a place where the cult can’t get their hands on him, or more importantly, on the bioweapon they infected him with.

But when cornered by monsters born from the destruction, Benji is rescued by a group of teens from the local Acheson LGBTQ+ Center, affectionately known as the ALC. The ALC’s leader, Nick, is gorgeous, autistic, and a deadly shot, and he knows Benji’s darkest secret: the cult’s bioweapon is mutating him into a monster deadly enough to wipe humanity from the earth once and for all.

Still, Nick offers Benji shelter among his ragtag group of queer teens, as long as Benji can control the monster and use its power to defend the ALC. Eager to belong, Benji accepts Nick’s terms…until he discovers the ALC’s mysterious leader has a hidden agenda, and more than a few secrets of his own."

I've made it a rule lately to only read queer fiction by queer authors, and as a queer, trans, autistic author myself the idea of reading a book by another queer+trans author where the love interest is autistic is just. Really awesome. I love it. I'm jazzed. Cheesed, even.

It snowed last night, so a nice snowy day after work today might be the perfect time to start it! I've been putting it off since I got it just because I've been swamped with writing work, and I hate reading while I'm writing, but if I can get this stuff knocked out today I'll let myself have a chapter. As a treat. Not to mention the absolutely gorgeous cover art!

When that's done it's back to silly werewolf novels, I'm sure, but we'll get there when we get there. I'm trying to pace myself so I really enjoy it, and then if I do, I'll make all of my friends read it too.

aeroryuu
03-06-2023, 06:14 PM
I finished the first three of the Disney Villains series, now I'm listening to Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie. Good narrator (audiobook).

Peanutface
03-06-2023, 06:31 PM
I am reading the Nelson Demille series: John Corey. On the last book. Really enjoyable and so funny. Cannot believe I am coming to this author so late

Shazi
03-06-2023, 07:21 PM
i just finished the night shift by alex finlay. i figured out the murderer right in the beginning but surprisingly the book was really good even without that twist. definitely recommend it.

Dasvidaniya
03-08-2023, 03:41 PM
Finished the first book in the Crave series and I'm on to the next one. Still not entirely sure if I actually like the series, especially since the narrator of the audiobook is so... grating xD But I'm keeping it going for now.

Dita
03-08-2023, 09:49 PM

I started reading this book after watching the animation short on Crunchyroll! I had a lot of questions because they had to cut out a lot to fit into the time they had. Though there is apparentlya full length anime coming so that is exciting but I'm really happy to support the author this way. :korbie_blush:

H3nry
03-23-2023, 08:56 PM
Been re-reading my favorite series of all time Cradle.
Just fiished book 11 for the second time - Dreadgod

I really can't recommend the series enough, I would say if you like Shonen, you would really enjoy this.
The audiobooks are excellent too.

benirako
04-15-2023, 02:54 PM
Been re-reading my favorite series of all time Cradle.
Just fiished book 11 for the second time - Dreadgod

I really can't recommend the series enough, I would say if you like Shonen, you would really enjoy this.
The audiobooks are excellent too.

This caught my attention! I love 'road to power' series. Assuming he (the main char) builds up power over the series?

I'm currently in a self help phase, so I'm on 'The Subtle Art of Not Giving a ****'.

Rowlet
04-15-2023, 04:10 PM
Just started the talisman by Stephen King. Some writing styles I find a little hard to keep up with, but I've never had any problems with King.

Slowpoke
04-17-2023, 08:53 AM
I just started reading Howl's Moving Castle. I've seen the movie countless times but have never read the books - thankfully my sister happened to own all 3 books so I went ahead and borrowed the first one from her. :$

Cerberus
04-25-2023, 02:25 AM
I am reading Sex Is as Sex Does: Governing Transgender Identity. While I'm not trans, I am an ally and this was assigned as one of the books for a class I'm in. It has absolutely changed the way I view the state and transgender identity and state governance of our bodies forever. Give it a read! You're in for a real ride.

lore
04-28-2023, 03:50 PM
I am reading Sex Is as Sex Does: Governing Transgender Identity. While I'm not trans, I am an ally and this was assigned as one of the books for a class I'm in. It has absolutely changed the way I view the state and transgender identity and state governance of our bodies forever. Give it a read! You're in for a real ride.

Oooh that does sound interesting! I might add it to my non-fiction to be read list.

I just finished Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut and am about halfway through Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk.

howdy
04-28-2023, 04:55 PM
Currently reading:

Sanctus
05-04-2023, 12:33 PM
I just finished The Hobbit and I've moved onto reading some of the random things I have on my Kobo. Currently, that is 'Some Thoughts on Education' by John Locke... hilariously outdated in parts, but quite prescient in others.

gilly777
06-06-2023, 04:25 PM
Those books are so great ! I think I loved "Harrow The Ninth" and "Nona the Ninth" even more than the first book. I can't wait for the fourth one to come out.

I'm currently reading "House of Niccolo" by Dorothy Dunnett. It's the prequel to one of my favourite series, the Lymond Chronicles.
It's set in 15th century Europe, Russia and middle East. It's great?.

fluffykittypawz
06-08-2023, 10:31 AM
Currently reading two books. Plagues and Peoples by William H McNeil and Blood Music by Greg Bear. I've been reading a lot of fiction this year so I thought I would switch it up with a nice dense but short information book like Plagues and Peoples. I'm halfway through Blood Music and it's quite a story, for anyone who is interested in sci-fi it's a good book to check out.

Gena
06-08-2023, 12:36 PM
Currently reading Bridgerton's books, I'm on the second one, The Viscount Who Loved Me :$

Crooked
06-09-2023, 05:25 PM
Fiction-wise I'm reading The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov in English, and I'm also slowly but surely working through a collection of Daniil Kharms in Russian to practice my language.

pppp3
06-10-2023, 09:32 PM
Just started re-reading my favourite sci-fi/ fantasy series from my teens The Obernewtyn Chronicles by aussie auther Isobelle Carmody... I forgot how much I loooooove the story, I can't get enough.

Stolen from wiki: The Obernewtyn Chronicles is a series of books that has a post apocalyptic setting, and depicts a world long after its destruction by a global nuclear holocaust.

The series' protagonist, Elspeth Gordie, is a young girl with mental powers condemned by the series' main antagonists, the governing body, known as the council, and the religious authority, the Herder Faction. The novels deal with themes of responsibility, duty, prejudice, discrimination, tolerance, and human and animal rights.

Predict
06-10-2023, 09:48 PM
I just started reading 'Can't Hurt Me' by David Goggins. A friend recommended it to me and I'm a fan of DG's motivational vids on YT so l insta bought it.

kittyray
06-10-2023, 09:52 PM
I started reading Why Fish Don't Exist a few months ago, but I was taking it slow and at this point it's been a couple of months so I might need to start fresh. It's really good but aspects of it hit a little too close to home, mostly in a really broad sense, but it's inspiring (for lack of better word), so I really do want to finish it.

Uma
06-12-2023, 07:37 AM
Reading Crime & Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Blissey
06-12-2023, 10:21 AM
Reading Crime & Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

omg me too!!! tbh it's one of my favorites of what i'm currently reading.
my other current reads include:
- house of leaves
- harry potter and the goblet of fire (note: i do not agree with or support jkr in any way, this is more out of curiosity and with a critical lens)
- the fellowship of the ring (other favorite, but it's so verbose that i need to work myself up to reading it)
- a court of thorns and roses

i started most of these at the beginning of the year, when i had the mental fortitide to read for leisure every night. but then academia happened, and i got worn out with all the journal article reading i've had to do, and am now slowly working towards finishing them.
i have a goodreads goal of finishing 12 books a year, and have currently finished... 1 :topsy_turvy: am hoping to catch up by finishing those and a couple more by the end of this summer, before i have a full course load again.

howdy
06-12-2023, 10:47 AM
I'm reading Women Who Run With Wolves

I just started it and I'm bracing myself for a bunch of heteronormativity and bioessentialism, haven't found it yet but have found a bunch of Jungian psychology stuff which I'm not really into so we'll see if I keep going with it. I think there will be some gems though.

Excalibur
06-12-2023, 10:50 AM
im not much of a reader per say, but currently some learn japanese books! for kanji and genki im so excited!

Hawaiian
06-13-2023, 07:17 AM
My brother just gave me a short novel by Stephen King called Later so I'll be starting that before sleeping :)
I've been thinking about re-reading Dune to watch the movies but will probably wait a bit closer to the next movie release.

Megiddo
06-13-2023, 07:51 AM
Currently reading: The President is Missing by Bill Clinton & James Patterson

And I have a very hefty list of books to read after this one, I keep buying more but not really making time to read them.

On my list;

Guns of Dawn - Adrian Tchakovsky
Seven Ancient Wonders - Matthew Reilly
Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
The Body - Bill Bryson
The President's Desk - Shaun Micallef
Last King of the Cross - John Ibrahim
Working Class Man - Jimmy Barnes

There's probably more I can't think of. I'm pretty sure I lent a book to my sister in law too that is on my list. Lots of reading to do!

Teakwood
06-13-2023, 10:33 AM
Reading Pet Sematary right now. One of my favorite books.

I even named my cat Church LOL

I_royalty_I
06-13-2023, 10:41 AM
Anybody into LitRPG kinds of books? I forget which one initially got me interested in the genre, but I've been steadily reading through different series for the past year or two now.

I find it interesting to see the characters progress in a measurable fashion. Gaining abilities, strengths, etc as the plot progresses. The only downside is when I find a series that I really enjoy and then have to wait for the next book to come out.

Right now I'm on the third book in a series called The Grand Game.

LibraryFaerie
06-13-2023, 04:36 PM
I just started The Town of Babylon. it’s due back to the library in 4 days, wish me luck lol

I’m also about a third of the way through I’m Glad My Mom Died audiobook.

Anybody into LitRPG kinds of books?
I’ve never heard of LitRPG but you have me really curious to look more into it.

I_royalty_I
06-13-2023, 06:42 PM
I just started The Town of Babylon. it’s due back to the library in 4 days, wish me luck lol

I’m also about a third of the way through I’m Glad My Mom Died audiobook.

I’ve never heard of LitRPG but you have me really curious to look more into it.

Do you enjoy audiobooks? I find my mind wandering too much to pay proper attention.

LitRPG is interesting. If you like action, magic, maybe a touch of sci fi then you may like it!

LibraryFaerie
06-14-2023, 07:30 AM
Do you enjoy audiobooks? I find my mind wandering too much to pay proper attention.

LitRPG is interesting. If you like action, magic, maybe a touch of sci fi then you may like it!

I do like audiobooks! My mind definitely wanders here and there, but it's easy to rewind a minute or two. I like them especially during mindless tasks like chores. It's hit or miss with readers though, a good audiobook reader makes a huge difference.

Totodile
06-14-2023, 10:49 AM

I don't overly read too much (Due to adhd/the attention span of a fly) but I do love to read this book. If I recall I think its the 2nd book in the series? I know I've seen all the movies (but never read most of the books - I really want to as I don't think they're gonna make the final movie based off the books)

Pidgey
06-14-2023, 11:18 AM
Godzilla I'm pretty sure I have undiagnosed ADHD x).

A friend recommended the self help book "The Subtle Art of not giving a F*ck"

I'm not going to say it's mind blowing stuff. It's written at a level anyone can read.
But it's helped me out at least a little bit. So if you're looking for an easy ready, Self help book, it might be worth the read!

I've read it twice. It's a funny book for the book shelf too just with the name x).

Cerberus
06-22-2023, 06:13 PM
I am currently reading A Game of Thrones since I'm a fan of the show and decided it was time to read!

birdies
06-22-2023, 06:24 PM
I'm reading a book called Crisis by Felix Francis.

Currently reading through a bunch of thrillers and spy novels to see what works and what doesn't in the genre. I just finished my first Jack Reacher book and thought it was pretty awful - Reacher has zero inner dialogue, the short sentences and lack of commas drove me crazy, the plot was slow and then implausible and there were lines like 'That was clear' and 'That was for damn sure' that got repeated so often it was making me twitch.

I'd love to read recommendations for cinematic but good spy novels - Daniel Craig as James Bond kind of vibe.

goodnightmoon
06-22-2023, 06:37 PM
I just started The Honeys by Ryan La Sala, and OMG it is so good. Very engaging 'thriller' with a nonbinary protagonist, I'm not very far into it (like 60 pages) because life gets in the way. Excellent storytelling, bizarre twists even just this far in.

Maia
06-23-2023, 04:26 PM
i am currently listening to The Bone Shard Emperor by Andrea Stewart while i am at work or driving
and reading Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik when i have time to read

both are pretty good fantasy books!!
the first is a second part of a trilogy, and Spinning Silver is a standalone i have had on my shelf for years unread

Lyrichord
06-23-2023, 05:40 PM
I like to read a bunch of things, frequently non-fiction. I've got a few I'm currently looking through!

The first is a book called Color In and Out of the Garden: Watercolor Practices for Painters, Gardeners, and Nature Lovers, written by Lorene Edwards Forkner. As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to give it a good look! As a person who enjoys art and color, I find the discrepancy between perceived color and actual color really interesting. So, to see a book filled with flowers with gradients underneath each bloom, is really fun. And there's stories about each one! If there wasn't enough yet to really love, the book is organized by color. :D

For a fun, silly book I picked up a kid's graphic novel the other day, Cat and Cat Adventures: the Quest for Snacks. It is 100% as adorable and cute as it sounds. The illustrations in books these days is out of this world! It's by Susie Yi. It reminds me a lot of the 10/10 adorable Narwhal and Jelly books and graphic novels by Ben Clanton, as well as the Waffles and Pancake series by Drew Brockington.

Then, how could I forget the Neopets Cookbook?? There's so much food dye in the recipes. But I love seeing all of the characters printed on paper, the map of Neopia, and all of the fun bits of lore scattered throughout. The recipes are no Joy of Cooking, but it's the sense of delight and creativity that comes with the book that I enjoy. (Now if only they'd start creating more np items like they used to back in the day!)

All images are from Amazon. I'd recommend them all!

Rhaenyra
06-23-2023, 05:56 PM
Does anyone have any good fantasy recs where the books have 300+ pages?

Shazi
06-23-2023, 06:11 PM

the lies of locke lamora by scott lynch, the name of the wind by patrick rothfuss

Maia
06-23-2023, 07:09 PM

i am a huge fan of The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. The first of that particular series is The Way of Kings and its 1000-ish pages i think.
lots of world building at the beginning but its very good and i love the characters in it. BUT it is a big book and theres only 4 out in the series and he is planning 10 books for the series total.

as for standalone books, i did like Babel by R.F. Kuang (more historical fantasy) and Nettle and Bone by T. Kingfisher

goodnightmoon
06-23-2023, 08:09 PM
I'd love to hear about everyone's favorite fiction series. Fantasy, romance, anything! I'm after a deep dive into a full-on series of several books again. I most recently series-wise read hunger games trilogy, all 3 in 3 days, back in March.

Cocobutter
06-23-2023, 08:14 PM
I just re-read Jurassic Park, one of my all-time favorite books! I definitely recommend to anyone who has not read it. :)

PabstBlueRibbon
06-23-2023, 08:24 PM
I'd love to hear about everyone's favorite fiction series. Fantasy, romance, anything! I'm after a deep dive into a full-on series of several books again. I most recently series-wise read hunger games trilogy, all 3 in 3 days, back in March.

If you like fantasy, a book series I really am enjoying is the continuing world-building of the DFZ series, by Rachel Aaron. So far there's three series build into the world. Starting with the Heartstrikers ([Only registered and activated users can see links])5-book series.

As the smallest dragon in the Heartstriker clan, Julius survives by a simple code: keep quiet, don't cause trouble, and stay out of the way of bigger dragons. But this meek behavior doesn't fly in a family of ambitious magical predators, and his mother, Bethesda the Heartstriker, has finally reached the end of her patience.

Now, sealed in his human form and banished to the DFZ--a vertical metropolis built on the ruins of Old Detroit--Julius has one month to prove he can be a ruthless dragon or kiss his true shape goodbye forever. But in a city of modern mages and vengeful spirits where dragons are considered monsters to be exterminated, he's going to need some serious help to survive this test. He only hopes humans are more trustworthy than dragons...

It was continued in the 3-book DFZ series, starting with Minimum Wage Magic ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Return to the world of Rachel Aaron's mega-popular Heartstrikers with a new, standalone series full of dragons, mages, and the deadly perils of freelance employment!

Making a living is hard. Making a living in a lawless city where gods are real, dragons are traffic hazards, and buildings move on their own can feel downright impossible.

Good thing freelance mage Opal Yong-ae has never let little things like impossibility stop her. She’s found a way to put her overpriced magical art history degree to use as a Cleaner: a contract municipal employee who empties out abandoned apartments and resells the unusual treasures she finds inside for a profit. It’s not a pretty job, or a safe one--there’s a reason she wears bite-proof gloves--but when you’re neck-deep in debt to a very magical, very nasty individual, you can’t be picky about where the money comes from.

But even Opal’s low standards are put to the test when the only thing of value in her latest apartment is the body of the previous tenant. Dealing with the dead isn’t technically part of her job, but this mage died hiding a secret that could be worth a lot of money, and Opal’s the only one who knows. With debts she can’t pay due at the end of the week, this could be the big break she’s been waiting for, but in a city of runaway magic where getting in over your head generally means losing it, the cost of chasing this opportunity might be more than Opal can survive.

And the newest series is the DFZ Changeling books, By A Silver Thread ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), currently waiting for Book 2.

In the world’s most magical metropolis where spirits run noodle shops and cash-strapped dragons stage photo-ops for tourists, people still think fairies are nothing but stories, and that’s exactly how the fairies like it. It’s a lot easier to feast on humanity’s dreams when no one believes you exist. But while this arrangement works splendidly for most fair folk, Lola isn’t one of the lucky ones.

She’s a changeling, a fairy monster made just human enough to dupe unsuspecting parents while fairies steal their real child. The magic that sustains her was never meant to last past the initial theft, leaving Lola without a future. But thanks to Victor Conrath, a very powerful--and very illegal--blood mage, she was given the means to cheat death.

For a price.

Now the only changeling ever to make it to adulthood, Lola has served the blood mage faithfully, if reluctantly, for twenty years. Her unique ability to slip through wards and change her shape to look like anyone has helped make Victor a legend in the DFZ’s illegal-magic underground. It’s not a great life, but at least the work is stable… until her master vanishes without a trace.

With only a handful left of the pills that keep her human, Lola must find Victor before she turns back into the fairy monster she was always meant to be. But with a whole SWAT team of federal paladins hunting her as a blood-mage accomplice, an Urban Legend on a silent black motorcycle who won’t leave her alone, and a mysterious fairy king with the power to make the entire city dream, Lola’s chances of getting out of this alive are as slender as a silver thread.

This world is so absolutely well-built and huge. I literally joined the Discord for a new AI-based CYoA virtual game by Hidden Door, based on book IPs, basically entirely to campaign for getting the rights to this series for it. Even before it, I had made a project of combing through the books for details to to build out a 5e setting from it.

goodnightmoon
06-23-2023, 08:30 PM
If you like fantasy, a book series I really am enjoying is the continuing world-building of the DFZ series, by Rachel Aaron. So far there's three series build into the world. Starting with the Heartstrikers ([Only registered and activated users can see links])5-book series.

As the smallest dragon in the Heartstriker clan, Julius survives by a simple code: keep quiet, don't cause trouble, and stay out of the way of bigger dragons. But this meek behavior doesn't fly in a family of ambitious magical predators, and his mother, Bethesda the Heartstriker, has finally reached the end of her patience.

Now, sealed in his human form and banished to the DFZ--a vertical metropolis built on the ruins of Old Detroit--Julius has one month to prove he can be a ruthless dragon or kiss his true shape goodbye forever. But in a city of modern mages and vengeful spirits where dragons are considered monsters to be exterminated, he's going to need some serious help to survive this test. He only hopes humans are more trustworthy than dragons...

It was continued in the 3-book DFZ series, starting with Minimum Wage Magic ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Return to the world of Rachel Aaron's mega-popular Heartstrikers with a new, standalone series full of dragons, mages, and the deadly perils of freelance employment!

Making a living is hard. Making a living in a lawless city where gods are real, dragons are traffic hazards, and buildings move on their own can feel downright impossible.

Good thing freelance mage Opal Yong-ae has never let little things like impossibility stop her. She’s found a way to put her overpriced magical art history degree to use as a Cleaner: a contract municipal employee who empties out abandoned apartments and resells the unusual treasures she finds inside for a profit. It’s not a pretty job, or a safe one--there’s a reason she wears bite-proof gloves--but when you’re neck-deep in debt to a very magical, very nasty individual, you can’t be picky about where the money comes from.

But even Opal’s low standards are put to the test when the only thing of value in her latest apartment is the body of the previous tenant. Dealing with the dead isn’t technically part of her job, but this mage died hiding a secret that could be worth a lot of money, and Opal’s the only one who knows. With debts she can’t pay due at the end of the week, this could be the big break she’s been waiting for, but in a city of runaway magic where getting in over your head generally means losing it, the cost of chasing this opportunity might be more than Opal can survive.

And the newest series is the DFZ Changeling books, By A Silver Thread ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), currently waiting for Book 2.

In the world’s most magical metropolis where spirits run noodle shops and cash-strapped dragons stage photo-ops for tourists, people still think fairies are nothing but stories, and that’s exactly how the fairies like it. It’s a lot easier to feast on humanity’s dreams when no one believes you exist. But while this arrangement works splendidly for most fair folk, Lola isn’t one of the lucky ones.

She’s a changeling, a fairy monster made just human enough to dupe unsuspecting parents while fairies steal their real child. The magic that sustains her was never meant to last past the initial theft, leaving Lola without a future. But thanks to Victor Conrath, a very powerful--and very illegal--blood mage, she was given the means to cheat death.

For a price.

Now the only changeling ever to make it to adulthood, Lola has served the blood mage faithfully, if reluctantly, for twenty years. Her unique ability to slip through wards and change her shape to look like anyone has helped make Victor a legend in the DFZ’s illegal-magic underground. It’s not a great life, but at least the work is stable… until her master vanishes without a trace.

With only a handful left of the pills that keep her human, Lola must find Victor before she turns back into the fairy monster she was always meant to be. But with a whole SWAT team of federal paladins hunting her as a blood-mage accomplice, an Urban Legend on a silent black motorcycle who won’t leave her alone, and a mysterious fairy king with the power to make the entire city dream, Lola’s chances of getting out of this alive are as slender as a silver thread.

This world is so absolutely well-built and huge. I literally joined the Discord for a new AI-based CYoA virtual game by Hidden Door, based on book IPs, basically entirely to campaign for getting the rights to this series for it. Even before it, I had made a project of combing through the books for details to to build out a 5e setting from it.

Okay it's like you read my mind. This is exactly what I'd like to dive into. This sounds AMAZING, thank you

Crooked
06-23-2023, 08:56 PM
Fiction-wise I'm reading The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov in English, and I'm also slowly but surely working through a collection of Daniil Kharms in Russian to practice my language.

Still working on Bulgakov, but I've distracted myself with re-reading Junji Ito's version of No Longer Human and finding a sketchy website to finish up +Anima...

Cinnamoroll
07-01-2023, 11:35 PM
Right now, I've been reading a lot of thrillers. They're my favourite genre.

Currently, I am reading Just Like the Other Girls ([Only registered and activated users can see links]). Its pretty good so far! I had never heard of this author before, but it was recommended to me based on other books I have read with similar vibes. I appreciate the pacing of the book and I am curious to see what happens at the end. I will likely finish it tonight!

Harvest Goddess
07-02-2023, 11:28 AM
Right now I have a few books on my reading list that I'm powering through

The first is:

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

I watched Squid Games / Alice in Borderlands and was looking for something in the same vein and someone recommended it to me!

The second is Ring + the rest of the series by Koji Suzuki

I watched the movie when I was a child (gotta love filipino family who doesn't care that horror is not your thing) and it was oddly and still is extremely terrifying to me, so I wanted to see if I read the books if it could help me overcome that fear!

So far, no real dice, but the novels are really nicely written

(and my final for my list, whenever we get an english release is Haruki Murakami's The city and it's uncertain walls) I collect his books, and have been reading them all over and over, he's probably my favorite author and I just can't wait to see how this one turns out as well. They're anticipating a 2024 release, so that's exciting and soon.

heathen
07-22-2023, 10:39 AM
Currently dabbling in...a lot.

I started rereading The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson for the 5th time after peer pressuring my coworkers into picking it up. I have about 2 hours left in the audiobook, but I've kind of shelved it in pursuit of reading something new...

So I'm now mostly listening to The Stand by Stephen King. I'm only on chapter 7, so I've got a little ways to go (only 40 more hours!). It's my 2nd King novel, my first being Pet Sematary which I didn't love. Here's hoping this goes better.

Every night I read to my baby until she falls asleep. She's only a year old, so she doesn't care what I read to her. Right now the book we're reading is Yumi and the Nightmare Painter by Brandon Sanderson. Really enjoying it so far (chapter 11), especially for the gorgeous illustrations.

Whenever I have any extra time to read by myself (almost never), I've been chipping slowly away at Gleanings by Neal Shusterman. It's a collection of short stories, so it's easy to pick up and put down whenever. I'm about 4 or 5 stories in so far and looking forward to the rest.

kittyray
07-22-2023, 11:44 AM
I read Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto in about a day and a half, and really enjoyed it. It was a really light read despite some heavy subject matter like grief, and it had slight touches of magical realism, and overall I liked it. I might pick up some more of her work.

Maia
07-23-2023, 10:43 AM
i just finished listening to Engines of Empire and Engines of Chaos by R.S. Ford
i like the series, its very Game of Thrones-y. tons of betrayal and death and you just are always like wondering whats actually happening lol
so gotta patiently wait for a 3rd one, i think its just a trilogy. the audiobook was very very good. the narration was spot on!

i'm physically reading Ruination by Anthony Reynolds. its a League of Legends book and i like it a lot
i am a sucker for lore so definitely fun to read about these characters' backstories.

next up on the list to listen to and read is:

Yumi and the Nightmare Painter by Brandon Sanderson (i have started listening to the audiobook already)
Godkiller by Hannah Kraner (very excited about this one, was told it kinda gives the Witcher vibes)

oceanvibe
08-20-2023, 03:27 PM
Hi :)

I'm reading Giovanni's Room, by James Baldwin.

If anyone has a goodreads profile: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

NeopetLandy
09-15-2023, 12:00 PM
HI,

I'm reading How to be Perfect by Michael Schur and Charles Moore's Margaret Thatcher - The Autobiography Volume 2.

(1) How to be Perfect - it's an easy read for a moral philosophy book at least the first half is ok. It's an easy way to learn what it means to be virtuous. Everyone likes to think that they are good people XD

(2) Charles Moore wrote 3 books on Margaret Thatcher's life. He spent more than 20 years writing them. I finished the first book - it was pretty incredible. She was a controversial political figure in the 1980s. But I truly respect some of the previous generation British politicians - how much they were willing to give to the country, even their own lives like Ian Gow. It's just hard to see that in my country presently. I also find the Question Time of Westminster parliamentary system fascinating, just the sheer amount of stress a British PM needs to face is unimaginable to me. They can be a joy to watch sometimes. XD

Tra-guy
09-15-2023, 12:31 PM
I recently read Yumi and the Nightmare Painter by Brandon Sanderson. I'm a big fan of his works and have read most of it, so seeing his take at romance was fun!

Most recently I've started reading Steven Erikson's Garden of the Moon in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. I have heard it's a really good series that is difficult to get into and thus far I have been struggling with it.

myonlyappeal
09-15-2023, 01:00 PM
I'm a big reader! I just finished Beastkeeper by Cat Hellison, and now I'm reading a couple thrillers (The Break by Katie Sise & The Other Mothers by Katherine Faulkner).

Cinnamoroll
10-04-2023, 12:41 AM
I have likely made a grave mistake but..

I am currently reading A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. This is one of the most depressing yet oddly beautiful books I’ve ever read. According to my Kindle (yes, I’m a Kindle girlie now) I am 65% finished and let me tell you: reading this book has been an emotional rollercoaster. I have been in tears over it a few times. I will forever think about Jude. I have never felt so attached to someone and been able to feel their pain and trauma so clearly like I have while reading this book.
And I should have known better. I’ve seen so many reviews and videos on it that warned me. But I am naive and thought this book wouldn’t phase me, but it does. I’ve damn near trauma bonded to it LMAO.

Do I absolutely love this book, even though it tears away at my soul? Yes. Will I ever read it again? Not unless I am a masochist. Would I recommend this book to others? Yes, but no. It goes into some HEAVY topics (like, I’m talking multiple BIG triggers for many people) so I know this novel is NOT for everyone. But if you have ever struggled with mental illness, this might be a book you’ll enjoy. I feel like “enjoy” maybe is not the right word, but I am sure you can understand what I mean by that.

Badger
10-04-2023, 10:03 PM
I really like spiritual, psychology and education books that aren't too heavy.
Currently reading How Children Learn by John Holt. Really interesting stuff, it's also about how humans learn in general, and how school is usually not helpful and in fact can be harmful to children in a lot of cases.

Before that, I finished Awareness by Anthony de Mello. Interesting book if you are open to changing your perspective, especially if you have felt depressed lately.
A nice quote:

Happiness is our natural state. Happiness is the natural state of little children, to whom the kingdom belongs until they have been polluted and contaminated by the stupidity of society and culture. To acquire happiness you don't have to do anything, because happiness cannot be acquired. Does anybody know why? Because we have it already. How can you acquire what you already have? Then why don't you experience it? Because you've got to drop something. You've got to drop illusions. You don't have to add anything in order to be happy; you've got to drop something. Life is easy, life is delightful. It's only hard on your illusions, your ambitions, your greed, your cravings. Do you know where these things come from? From having identified with all kinds of labels!”

Oh and this one too. This is a great quote about anxiety and how it can affect your work quality.

When the archer shoots for no particular prize, he has all his skills; when he shoots to win a brass buckle, he is already nervous; when he shoots for a gold prize, he goes blind, sees two targets, and is out of his mind. His skill has not changed, but the prize divides him. He cares! He thinks more of winning than of shooting, and the need to win drains him of power.

Mito
10-17-2023, 01:40 AM
I'm not sure if Manhwa is considered a "book" per say, but I've been hooked on the Solo Leveling series!
Currently on volume 6 and I'm in love with everything about it.

The action sequences, character development, and overall plot keep you wanting more.
Highly recommend for anime lovers!

Sithis
10-19-2023, 10:57 PM
I've just finished reading the Throne of Glass series, of which my favorite was Tower of Dawn. I'm just now starting on Court of Thrones and Rose's. I'm having a hard time getting into it, but I'm told it is pretty spicy and worth the read.

Halloqueenie
10-20-2023, 10:44 AM
I’m in the middle of “Counting The Cost” by Jill Duggar. I used to be obsessed with their strange family, and I wondered if any of them would ever break free of the cult. It’s so interesting hearing what it was like on the other side of the screen, and I’m pleasantly surprised she was the one to begin breaking free.

krummris
10-20-2023, 10:46 AM
I just got Percy Jackson and the Chalice of the Gods and willl start to read

Sithis
10-20-2023, 01:36 PM
I’m in the middle of “Counting The Cost” by Jill Duggar. I used to be obsessed with their strange family, and I wondered if any of them would ever break free of the cult. It’s so interesting hearing what it was like on the other side of the screen, and I’m pleasantly surprised she was the one to begin breaking free.

Was this the whole sister wives thing or am I thinking of a different family?

Maia
10-20-2023, 03:58 PM
currently halfway through A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab. last book of the trilogy and i really like it! definitely a new favourite series for me c:
reads really quick imo

aaand since i also listen to audiobooks, the audiobook i am listening to while at work or driving to the stable is Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie.
its also the final book of a trilogy. not quite sure how i feel about the series yet, but i didn't want to stop after the second book, so just going to make it through the last one haha

Halloqueenie
10-20-2023, 08:33 PM
Was this the whole sister wives thing or am I thinking of a different family?

Sister Wives is a different but equally fucked up family! This one is 19 kids and counting.

Sithis
10-20-2023, 08:34 PM
Sister Wives is a different but equally fucked up family! This one is 19 kids and counting.

Ah.. guessing adopted kids?

Halloqueenie
10-20-2023, 08:37 PM
Ah.. guessing adopted kids?

Nope! Momsy popped out 19+ kids naturally. They’re part of the “quiverfull” movement. There was a huge documentary on their cult recently. It’s called Shiny Happy People and does an excellent dive into the IBLP cult.

Gizmos
10-22-2023, 05:57 PM
I'm re-reading the Redwall series by Brian Jacques right now. I read the first three books when I was growing up, and saw them at my local Salvation Army store so decided to pick a few of them up and try to finish up reading the entire series! I forgot how much I really loved reading his work, its phenomenal in my opinion.

Maryse
10-22-2023, 06:06 PM
A Soul of Ash and Blood (From Blood and Ash series, book 5) and I am very much disappointed in it :hopelessness: It feels like such a filler book, it would've been more appropriate as a side novella than a main series book, so now I need to wait till spring next year to actually know how the story continues :crushed:

Guil
10-30-2023, 09:57 AM
I'm re-reading the Redwall series by Brian Jacques right now. I read the first three books when I was growing up, and saw them at my local Salvation Army store so decided to pick a few of them up and try to finish up reading the entire series! I forgot how much I really loved reading his work, its phenomenal in my opinion.

Oh my god i am actually doing the same thing right now! I read most of them as a kid, i'm on the last few now, and the last few i hadnt read. I'm on the Sable Quean now. Do you have any faves so far?

Dasvidaniya
10-30-2023, 11:08 AM
I recently got into fantasy romance, so I’ve been reading through the A Court of Thorns and Roses (ACOTAR) series by Sarah J Maas. I’m on the last book, A Court of Silver Flames. I mostly read audiobooks when I can and I found this amazing GraphicAudio version of them on the Hoopla app… but the last part of the last book just recently came out mid-October and Hoopla doesn’t have it yet. It’s not even on Amazon/Audible yet 😭 So I’ve been stuck waiting weeks to finish out the series and dying to know how the book ends…

Been reading The Selection series in the meantime as it’s a lot lighter and an easy read and it’s been fairly enjoyable :) I mostly read YA trash apparently lol.

Gizmos
10-30-2023, 09:41 PM
Oh my god i am actually doing the same thing right now! I read most of them as a kid, i'm on the last few now, and the last few i hadnt read. I'm on the Sable Quean now. Do you have any faves so far?

It's so tough to pick a favorite, but it would have to be between Mossflower and Mattimeo. Probably Mossflower since it was the first one I ever read. Elementary school library had a random assortment of books so I picked that one up since they didn't have the first Redwall book, haha.

Cinnamoroll
10-30-2023, 10:04 PM
Uhhhhh I’m not exactly proud of this but I started reading Haunting Adeline at the recommendation of a friend.

I normally do not read this… genre… of books, but she told me I have to finish it, so… yeah LOL.

After I finish that, I’m going to read Britney Spears’ new memoir!

Crow
10-30-2023, 10:04 PM
"Feeding Dogs" by Dr. Conor Brady

Jesuslovescats
10-30-2023, 10:44 PM
I'm reading It by Stephen King. I'm on a huge King kick and have almost exclusively been reading him for months now. I don't even know how many I've read so far but loving them.

Styx
11-01-2023, 06:31 AM
I'm currently reading MCU: The Reign of Marvel Studios by Joanna Robinson, Dave Gonzales, and Gavin Edwards.

myonlyappeal
11-01-2023, 04:29 PM
Reading Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan (book 9 of Wheel of Time) and it's okay. Really enjoying The Waking Fire by Anthony Ryan though!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm reading It by Stephen King. I'm on a huge King kick and have almost exclusively been reading him for months now. I don't even know how many I've read so far but loving them.

I somehow, despite reading a ton, have never read any of King's horror! Just his fantasy. Is there somewhere you'd recommend I start?

caviar
11-01-2023, 05:52 PM
The Final Girl Support Group by Grady Hendrix. It's interesting so far.

Jesuslovescats
11-03-2023, 02:02 PM
Yes myonlyappeal ! I think this falls under his fantasy but I cannot recommend his newer book Fairy Tale enough.

Also the books with Holly Gibney - she is in The Bill Hodges Trilogy, The Outsider(this particular book is actually horror and truly amazing), If It Bleeds and recently released Holly (in this order). If you're inclined and able I really recommend the audio books. Will Patton reads holly on all but Holly and he represents her amazingly.

You have to read The Shining before you read my next recommendation but you HAVE to read Dr Sleep. Danny Torrance is an amazing character and I was so weepy at the end lol.

Sithis
11-03-2023, 02:06 PM
I have been so into audio books lately. Just finish the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas. Starting on Court of Thrones and Roses. Finished the first in that, but having mixed feelings

rio
11-06-2023, 04:30 AM
Finished One By One by Freida McFadden - a bit predictable but a decent enough page turner. 6/10

Just seen that Steve Cavanagh had a new release in August so I'm about to go download that. Thirteen is one of the best and scariest thrillers I've ever read

Halloqueenie
11-07-2023, 10:28 AM
Listening to Britney Spears’ memoir. Loving it so far! I love Michelle Williams as an actress but her voice reading this doesn’t quite sit well with me. Probably a personal thing as I’m a bit fussy with voices lol.

I finished Counting The Cost and was amazed by how much Jill Dillard felt comfortable to share. I have such high hopes that they can lead a relatively normal, happy life, and enable other family members to break free also. I don’t think they’ll ever have views that I align with, and to think they might is silly. But I know how hard it is to deconstruct, so I’m rooting for them.

myonlyappeal
11-08-2023, 09:46 AM
Yes myonlyappeal ! I think this falls under his fantasy but I cannot recommend his newer book Fairy Tale enough.

Also the books with Holly Gibney - she is in The Bill Hodges Trilogy, The Outsider(this particular book is actually horror and truly amazing), If It Bleeds and recently released Holly (in this order). If you're inclined and able I really recommend the audio books. Will Patton reads holly on all but Holly and he represents her amazingly.

You have to read The Shining before you read my next recommendation but you HAVE to read Dr Sleep. Danny Torrance is an amazing character and I was so weepy at the end lol.

Thank you so much! Just put in a bunch of Libby requests :$

billions
11-16-2023, 05:46 AM
Title: "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind"

Very interesting read if I do say so myself. A captivating exploration of the journey undertaken by Homo sapiens, spanning from the dawn of ancient humans to the contemporary era

author: Yuval Noah Harari

GreyFaerie
11-16-2023, 05:50 AM
Since the movie just came out, I started with The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. I was surprised that the book was released four years ago! and I just found out about its existence.

NeopetLandy
11-18-2023, 11:57 AM
I love this book too and I’d recommend everyone to read it.

My favourite lines “ People dream for years about finding love but are rarely satisfied when they find it. Some become anxious that their partner will leave; others feel that they have settled cheaply, and could have found someone bet-ter. And we all know people who manage to do both.” XD

- - - Updated - - -

I’m currently reading “I know why the caged bird sings”, by Maya Angelou. Watched her interview and was impressed by how eloquent she was. I’m only half way through this book. She describes a lot of details of her childhood beautifully in the book. A bit flat in the first half, hopefully I’d find the second half of the book more interesting.

Lyrichord
11-28-2023, 02:21 AM
Before diving back into the world of Eragon with Murtagh, I decided I'd read Paolini's other recent work, To Sleep in a Sea of Stars. I ended up binge reading the whole 800 page thing over the weekend! Apparently it won Goodread's Sci-Fi novel of the year in 2020. The premise is that it's ≈2300, and there are now intergalactic colonies that have figured out how to travel and explore way beyond the speed of light. Kira, a xenobiologist, comes across the second piece of alien technology ever found, and it's alive. The story follows her and everything that happens as a result of it bonding to her, quite literally. From spaceship battles to galactic exploration and life or death choices, this is captivating page turner. Apparently it's also slated to become a tv show, but I have a feeling the book will still be much better! I'm not much of an alien-life kind of sci-fi reader, but I definitely recommend this book to anyone who's a fan of the genre as a whole!

Styx
11-28-2023, 07:11 AM
I just started Britney Spears' The Woman in Me!

Junellie
12-03-2023, 01:27 PM
Does fanfiction count? :P I recently read this fantastic Resident Evil fic called Here comes the Boogeyman, which takes place after the events of Resident Evil: Death Island (aka my favourite movie)

I think I read more fanfiction than books nowadays, even though I have a whole stack of books I've been meaning to get around to reading. There's just something amazing about decently written fanfics and how they can be so satisfying when canon doesn't quite cut it.

RicoBandito
12-03-2023, 03:35 PM
Currently I’m not reading anything but I have a whole pile of books I should read. I’m into the uplifting kind of books, like Brené Brown. The one that’s on the top of my pile is called “the mountain is you”
We have a list of books at my job that are suggested reading, but I haven’t read them yet. Probably should HAHA

Delibird
12-03-2023, 07:50 PM
Reading right now The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck currently and it's a pretty solid book.

Another good one is The Untethered Soul. I'm a big spiritual guy so it's a good read for anyone interested in bettering themselves!

Maluko
12-05-2023, 05:33 AM
Crime and Punishment, the book that inspired Silent Hill

Rebel_Minx
12-10-2023, 12:15 PM
I just started reading the book Please Tell Me written by Mike Omer. I got it based on a recommendation of other books I read. I am reading it via audio as I am at work so I can't carry my phone or a book.

- - - Updated - - -

Crime and Punishment, the book that inspired Silent Hill

Both are great!!!

eva
12-12-2023, 10:53 PM
Currently reading the Wheel of Time series, I'm on Book 3! Excited to watch the show.

gobblegum
12-14-2023, 05:17 PM
The Portrait of a Lady by henry James :teatime:

Ambient
12-15-2023, 01:55 PM
I just finished Fourth Wing, and immediately am jumping into Iron Flame.
I don't know what it is, maybe the writing style, but I adored this book.

I am a big fantasy fan, and finished ACOTAR recently, and while the world was great, I felt the writing had some things that were repetitive and kind of weird. They were enough of an issue that I could be fully enthralled in a moment and the use of certain words and phrases would auto-annoy me and pull me right out of the moment. Fourth Wing started a little slow, but once it picked up, I was so sucked in that I finished the entire book in two days. Other than the over-use of the term "mage lights" the writing was so good I never got knocked out of a scene.
I know that could be a me thing though, my brain functions in a very unique way, and things like repetition of sounds and words sometimes bother me. Sort of like... audible textures... if that makes sense?

But anyway, the characters felt very real, the writing style was great, and I really enjoyed how believable everything is. Sometimes fantasy is very obviously fantasy and not ever going to happen (which is great!), but I felt like this was done in a way I could see it happening if dragons were real kind of thing. I also got the full spectrum of emotions from this book. I even made the mistake of taking it with me for my pedicure this morning and had to fight not to ugly cry in front of random strangers while getting my toes painted. I can't wait to see how Iron Flame holds up now!

Maia
12-15-2023, 08:54 PM
currently reading Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson!
i love it! i'm a huge Brando Sando fan

and because i have too many books to read, i listen to an separate audiobook at work/on the way to the stable, i am listening to Red Country by Joe Abercrombie
it's grimdark fantasy and i really love the narrator for these audiobooks, he's wonderful! and Joe Abercrombie makes very interesting characters, i'm flying through all his series

Misha
12-19-2023, 10:30 PM
I'm just starting to get back it to my Poetic Edda. I'm slacking on my Norse Paganism

Guil
12-21-2023, 11:18 AM
Earlier this year I posted about my Redwall re-read, and now I'm on the last book in the series, The Rogue Crew! It's bittersweet, these last few books I read for the first time after not reading them when I was younger, but now I'm facing the end!

woowers
12-22-2023, 06:48 AM
I’m in the middle of Britney’s book!

Pepper-Mint
12-25-2023, 07:13 PM
I just finished Woom! Next is going to be either Playground or You've Lost a Lot of Blood. I haven't read in years and forgot how much I enjoyed it.

GreyFaerie
12-25-2023, 08:04 PM
I started reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I got an English version because I couldn't get one in my language that I liked. I barely read the first few pages but I'm very excited because my favorite YouTuber spoke very well about the series and the book, so I have high expectations.

Shinx
12-26-2023, 04:27 AM
Currently re-reading the eragon series because the new book is coming out (or is out) I haven't seen it yet and I'm very excited!

Styx
01-18-2024, 09:37 PM
I'm struggling to finish Mona Kabbani's The Bell Chime though it's a novella. 😩

Guil
01-18-2024, 10:16 PM
I just finished This is How You Lose the Time War! It was pretty good, I wasnt sure how much I would like it at first but by the end I was riveted!

Now I'm onto my next Read, Nona the Ninth! Its been a while since I read Gideon and Harrow I'll probably have to look at a summary of them so I can remember

Lavie
01-20-2024, 08:13 PM
I just finished This is How You Lose the Time War! It was pretty good, I wasnt sure how much I would like it at first but by the end I was riveted!

That's been on my list for some time. How were the first few chapters for you?
I'm in the middle Nathan Englander's The Ministry of Special Cases'

Cinnamoroll
01-20-2024, 08:24 PM
I’m currently reading The Firat Death by Kendra Elliot. It’s part of a series she has about these detectives. I really enjoy her novels, as they’re mystery/thrillers!

rio
01-20-2024, 09:28 PM
Just finished both of Sophie Kinsellas latest books. They are such easy reads, I read them in between intense Steve Cavanagh thrillers!

The Party Crasher didn't read or feel at all like one of her books, really average read and was disappointed. 3/5 because it was entertaining, but not what I have come to expect.

The Burnout was fantastic and I laughed out loud in the first 10 mins reading it and many times after that. A classic read, very shopaholic style humor. Perfect summer/beach/holiday read. 5/5

Guil
01-20-2024, 11:12 PM
That's been on my list for some time. How were the first few chapters for you?
I'm in the middle Nathan Englander's The Ministry of Special Cases'

At first I wasn't that into it because it felt more like a collection of short scenes than a cohesive story, but the story DOES gel together after you get a little further in. It still does have that kinda vibe of different scenes, even though they do a pretty job connecting it all in the end

Lolita
01-28-2024, 06:02 PM
I'm currently reading "The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter" by Carson McCullers. I just started it but I feel I'm gonna love it. :love_heart:

rio
02-03-2024, 04:11 AM
Does anyone here have any really good, easy reads they've loved recently?
I'm struggling to find an author with that sweet spot of chill beach read but also still a decent story

Swablu
02-04-2024, 11:12 PM
I'm still reading "Pageboy" by Elliot Page. I started it awhile ago but haven't had to chance to finish it. After that, I have "I'm Glad My Mom Died" by Jeanette McCurdy as my next book I want to read since I've heard good things about it.

basically
02-05-2024, 12:00 AM
After that, I have "I'm Glad My Mom Died" by Jeanette McCurdy as my next book I want to read since I've heard good things about it.

i loved the book! it's actually the most recent thing i read, because i just reread it. Jennette is an amazing writer and i heard the audiobook version is really good as well!

kittyray
02-05-2024, 12:18 AM
i loved the book! it's actually the most recent thing i read, because i just reread it. Jennette is an amazing writer and i heard the audiobook version is really good as well!

oooh, the audiobook is super good! Definitely a rough listen due to the content, but if you've read the book you know what you're getting into.

caviar
02-05-2024, 12:18 AM
Oof yeah, some of the things she talks about in her book still haunt me a little :')

Swablu
02-05-2024, 12:30 AM

See now you've got me wanting to finish up Pageboy. It's just finding the time since my life has been so busy lately. Hubby got me I'm Glad my Mom Died for Valentines Day and I've really just wanted to dive into it, but I'm the type of person who needs to finish 1 thing before jumping into another.

lint
02-05-2024, 12:40 AM
I'm not reading any fiction right now, but I'm reading stuff related to my job/career goals. Right now, it's "Social Engineering: The Science of Human Hacking" by Christopher Hadnagy. I listened to an interview from this guy in a podcast where he talked about his job as a physical pentester and it was so fascinating to hear his stories about how he was testing security of buildings which included just walking in places and convincing people he was staff and legit. It's amazing how easily people will feel comfortable or give too much info if someone presents as being legit. It's really interesting like, deconstructing manipulation, but not so much in a sinister way since this is about cybersecurity and not like...true crime lol. Here's the podcast episode with the author ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) in case anyone is interesting in listening before reading lol.

Styx
02-05-2024, 03:37 AM
I am, once again, procrastinating on reading. This time, it's Black Cat by Jed Mackay Omnibus.

Onetwo
03-03-2024, 08:11 PM
I'm not reading any fiction right now, but I'm reading stuff related to my job/career goals. Right now, it's "Social Engineering: The Science of Human Hacking" by Christopher Hadnagy. I listened to an interview from this guy in a podcast where he talked about his job as a physical pentester and it was so fascinating to hear his stories about how he was testing security of buildings which included just walking in places and convincing people he was staff and legit. It's amazing how easily people will feel comfortable or give too much info if someone presents as being legit. It's really interesting like, deconstructing manipulation, but not so much in a sinister way since this is about cybersecurity and not like...true crime lol. Here's the podcast episode with the author ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) in case anyone is interesting in listening before reading lol.

That sounds really interesting. I'll add that book to my good reads list. Have you finished the book and what did you think of it?

Crow
03-03-2024, 08:49 PM
The Royal Treatment: A Natural Approach to Wildly Healthy Pets by Dr. Barbara Royal

it's made me cry a lot more than I'd anticipated...

Venus
03-04-2024, 09:47 AM
Just started the Licanius Trilogy! Having made much progress because FF7 Rebirth is taking over my life.

Novaray
03-04-2024, 10:49 AM
I'm currently reading the Wheel of Time series... 14 books LOL. I started it in 2020 and I'm only just finishing up now. Two more books to go. It's a long one but really worth it, the last few books of the series have been phenomenal.

Onetwo
03-04-2024, 10:53 AM
I'm currently reading the Wheel of Time series... 14 books LOL. I started it in 2020 and I'm only just finishing up now. Two more books to go. It's a long one but really worth it, the last few books of the series have been phenomenal.

This series has tempted me but I've had friends talk about multibook sloughs in the series. I don't know if I can handle that haha. I'm a huge Brandon Sanderson fan so I might try out the series one day

Novaray
03-04-2024, 03:54 PM
This series has tempted me but I've had friends talk about multibook sloughs in the series. I don't know if I can handle that haha. I'm a huge Brandon Sanderson fan so I might try out the series one day

Oh it's daunting for sure. I have been listening to the audiobooks which is the only way I've been able to get through them! They're great books don't get me wrong but it's a slog for sure. If you like Sanderson, I will say that the books he wrote are the best of them. They're so long, but honestly it has some of the best character writing I've ever read, especially in fantasy :)

Onetwo
03-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Oh it's daunting for sure. I have been listening to the audiobooks which is the only way I've been able to get through them! They're great books don't get me wrong but it's a slog for sure. If you like Sanderson, I will say that the books he wrote are the best of them. They're so long, but honestly it has some of the best character writing I've ever read, especially in fantasy :)

Brandon just sets the fantasy character development bar so high. His books have a fun sense of progression. Both in the power system of that world and in the characters moral development. I love his works.... I'll try out his books one day!