PDA

View Full Version : What mangas are you currently reading?

Menine
02-28-2021, 05:05 PM
I'm obsessed with every single thing I read from Junji ito. I'm usually not very into horror, I dislike reading/watching most of the horror stories that includes paranormal events, spirits, scarejumps, ghosts, gore, etc.
But I LOVE Ito's nonsensical lovecraftian horror, I think that some of his works are a metaphor for the absurd of the society, and some makes me feel deeply involved with the story. I also noticed he is getting more and more popular lately.
I believe I've read most of his comics, but The Enigma of Amigara Fault ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) is still my favorite story.
If someone wants to start reading something from him, I'd suggest starting with Uzumaki, that is his most popular story:

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

What manga are you currently reading? Would you recommend it?

TsUNaMy WaVe
03-01-2021, 07:31 AM
I heard a lot about Junji Ito but never ready anything of his myself yet. I'll try Uzumaki for sure!

As for what I'm reading, currently I just follow some regular released manga (One Piece and My Hero Academia), semi-regular released (Akatsuki no Yona) and "you'll never know when next chapter will drop!" one (Made in Abyss).

Ashen
03-02-2021, 02:54 PM
I love Junji Ito too! My favorite is Slug Girl. Gyo is second favorite.
I am currently reading Death Note, I have seen the anime 100 times but decided to read it as there are a lot of differences and the ending is totally different.

My name is Yoshikage Kira
03-02-2021, 03:35 PM
Not really a manga but reading Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World.
Couldn't wait for a episode each Wednesday so I started reading ahead lol

Alister
03-02-2021, 03:52 PM
Not really a manga but reading Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World.
Couldn't wait for a episode each Wednesday so I started reading ahead lol

I just started reading the manga for this last night! Similar reason, got tired of the weekly wait. What do you think about the original novel version? I have mixed feelings about light novels which is why I went for the manga version instead. Any I've tried to read in the past have not had a great translation and it hurts the experience a bit for me.

Currently rereading:
Saiyuki
Blood Lad
No. 6

Actively updating series I follow:
Gangsta.
Noragami
Case Study of Vanitas

Series I really want to catch up on:
Akatsuki no Yona

bootiesrus
03-02-2021, 06:50 PM
The best manga ever if you like romantic comedies with superb and in-depth character development: Skip Beat! (never mind that I waited like 18 years for the confession XD)

TsUNaMy WaVe
03-03-2021, 10:53 AM
Oh Re:zero! It reminds me I started the novel about Crusch past (since she's best girl) but I never manged to finish it ><
I need to go back to it

Bellz
03-03-2021, 11:46 PM
I'm reading the manhwa "Sweet Home" after watching the Netflix series. It's horror/zombie/apocalypse and it's SO GOOD. Highly recommend for people who like to grieve over fictional characters.

Goddammit
03-05-2021, 07:56 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Menine again.

Junji Ito is a huuuuge favorite.

I don't really keep up on manga anymore, not like I used to when I was younger, but my fiance is still pretty into it and buys himself, as well as me, mangas occasionally. Right now I'm slowly completing my Sailor Moon collection. Fiance is working on his Full Metal Alchemist collection and he's been buying the Berserk deluxe volumes as they come out so I've been thinking about reading those.

iavoll
03-09-2021, 01:33 PM
I got into "Kaguya-sama: Love is War" at the beginning of the pandemic. I also joined a Discord server for it because I... really enjoy the sense of being in a community that exists solely so people can enjoy something together.

If you have a high tolerance for romance, I also enjoyed Wotakoi. It's not complete yet, to my knowledge, but it settled into an equilibrium after a few volumes.

Menine
03-09-2021, 02:39 PM
I got into "Kaguya-sama: Love is War" at the beginning of the pandemic. I also joined a Discord server for it because I... really enjoy the sense of being in a community that exists solely so people can enjoy something together.

If you have a high tolerance for romance, I also enjoyed Wotakoi. It's not complete yet, to my knowledge, but it settled into an equilibrium after a few volumes.

I love Kaguya Sama!! I relate with her so much! I'll definitely read the manga, the anime is so cool

edit: I just realized that Wotakoi is on my "to watch" list! I love shoujo and romance hehe

Da Plushee Boree
03-10-2021, 08:52 AM
#ward #gotta read 'em all!

I'm only reading Shingeki at the moment and it only has one chapter left, so i'm better off looking for something else to read!

-----------------------

OMG Menine i have been looking for Enigma of Amigara Fault for sooooo long!!!
Read it so many years ago without knowing it's name and lost it forever until now! Thank youuuuuuuuu!!!

Synth Salazzle
03-14-2021, 09:13 AM
Dragon Maid
Beastars
Claymore
Attack on Titan

NotADoctor
03-14-2021, 06:19 PM
One Piece... kind of obsessed with it.
Caught up with the manga and with the anime as well.
965 episodes so far and I need more. From being amazing to hilarious I recommend the hell out of it.
Finished Bleach manga not long ago and waiting on the anime revival, it's been so long.

Hollow
04-10-2021, 04:22 PM
Just got the latest volume of Blue Exorcist yesterday, which I've been loving, also finally finished collecting all the Bleach manga (I read them all years ago but decided to take the plunge and finish collecting the manga) :D I'm now reading Noragami

Spiffy
04-10-2021, 05:28 PM
I guess this is the first month that I can't say I'm reading Attack on Titan anymore.

crying softly

Dot
04-27-2021, 05:08 AM
Currently reading the following manga and manhwa:

Naraku No Futari
Remarried Empress (fucking Trashta!!!)
Please Take Care of Me in This Life As Well
Fainda Goshi No Ano Ko
White Blood (what an unfortunate title...)
The Lady and the Lion (FINALLLLYYYY a manhwa that uses the Roman empire as their background images!! Am tired of seeing the same old medieval European castles and villages)
Sousou No Frieren (deserves the hype)
Okaeri Alice (idk if I like this)
Futari Ashitamo Sorenarini (harmless fluff <3)
Let's go to work tomorrow! (my fav office romance atm)
Baraou no Souretsu (some of the characters are messed up, the art is beautiful)
A Loving Existence
Shaman Girl (I wish the translations would receive more updates)
adabana (so dark! I love it)
Azumi (The amount of times I've cried while reading this is very high)
Itai Onee-san wa Suki Desu ka?
I Raised the Beast Well (hot)
Sengoku Komachi Kuroutan: Noukou Giga (not sure if this isekai, but I like this sort of time travel)
Ellin's Solhwa
Tendou-ke Monogatari (not a fan of the age gap that is so prevalent in shojo, but the story is good)
Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru (pls kiss)
Umarekawatte mo mata, Watashi to kekkon shite kuremasu ka? (So many tears)
The Moon that Rises in the Day (I stopped reading this because I read spoilers for the ending which I didn't like, and would like to preserve the characters as they are now in my head. Good story!)
Pujo to Yajuu: JK ga Akuyaku Wrestler ni Koi shita Hanashi (again, the age gap is problematic)
Sengoku Youko (rereading this because the story is truly a journey, one that I'd like to take again)
Eating Craw with a Yukionna (I try not to read the translator's notes because they are awful, as in racist and bigoted, but they are the only one translating this)
Aquaman (bit convoluted, but I want to know how it ends)
Otoyomegatari
Hinoko (desperately waiting for more updates)
Living no Matsunuga-san
Gokushufudou (looking forward to the adaptation)
The Lady and her Butler
My Home Hero (need more updates!)
Tokyo Revengers
Dead Dead Demon's Dededededeestrucion (weird and lovely)
Spirit Fingers (I wish the TL groups would pcontinue this)

And a whole bunch of josei/smut. I had no idea it was this much, wtf. But they're all so so so good story wise.

Nimoligist
04-27-2021, 12:17 PM
Pokémon Adventures
Book by Gerard Jones

Furina
04-27-2021, 04:36 PM
Been reading Spy x Family for awhile now, there are rumors of an anime adaptation, which I am crossing my fingers for!

Houndoom
04-27-2021, 06:29 PM
I loooove me some Junjo Ito, though still need to go read a lot of his works. Uzumaki is the one that got me hooked for sure though!

Am currently reading Jujutsu Kaisen cause I finished the anime that's out, though I am not looking forward to having to wait for new chapters ;-;

Aero
04-28-2021, 11:00 AM
I loooove me some Junjo Ito, though still need to go read a lot of his works. Uzumaki is the one that got me hooked for sure though!

Am currently reading Jujutsu Kaisen cause I finished the anime that's out, though I am not looking forward to having to wait for new chapters ;-;

Woah are we the same?! I just reread Amigara Fault and then started and caught up to JJK. It kind of reminds me of Kimetsu no Yaiba and HxH mashed together? I like it so far!

Houndoom
04-28-2021, 12:27 PM
Woah are we the same?! I just reread Amigara Fault and then started and caught up to JJK. It kind of reminds me of Kimetsu no Yaiba and HxH mashed together? I like it so far!

spidermanpointing.jpg

I really like it so far too! I'm not a huuuuge fan of shounen but the characters make up for those parts that I don't like (mostly the way powers are super arbitrary lol).
I... haven't read HxH but have watched a decent chunk of the anime! If you have other recommendations feel free to drop em my way! :)

Trash Panda
05-05-2021, 03:16 PM
I've never been too much of a manga reader but I couldn't resist buying the Sakura Card Captor manga :$

Spoiler for pic

carrottea
05-28-2021, 01:48 PM
Oh I strongly agree on Junji Ito's work!!! I also love Hellstar Remina. Not as good as other works of his, but definitely a lot of fun.

My personal favorite work of his is Army of One! Such a short story but so effective and chilling?

Right now the only manga I'm keeping up with are Golden Kamuy (highly recommended if you like good art, don't mind gore or very naked buff men, enjoy cooking/recipes, and like historical fiction), Hanakoi Tsurane (kabuki theater rivals to lovers BL manga, it's very sweet, until now has been avoiding many of the harmful tropes I dislike in BL), and Houseki no Kuni (anthropomorphized gems suffer existential despair. this manga makes me want to tear my hair out every time I finish a chapter in the best way possible)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm really looking forward to the Uzumaki adaptation too, the Junji Ito collection anime was not very good in my opinion. I'm hoping with a decent budget and their 4 episode plan they can pull of a good job that can draw in more readers. Not that Uzumaki isn't already plenty popular, I was shocked to see it being sold in a local convenience store :D

Extraterrestrial
02-06-2022, 09:07 AM
I'm reading Liar Game right now and I'm really enjoying it! It's pretty allegorical for capitalism and has some refreshingly smart characters and interesting twists. I feel a little dumb reading it because the characters are 100% smarter than me, but each chapter leaves me feeling hooked and anticipating the next one.

Da Plushee Boree
02-21-2022, 10:33 AM
I'm Going To check Dot 's long list, i promise haha

Should i read Jujutsu Kaisen?
I always wanter so started Monter last week and read more than 20 chapters in one day so i also started the anime with my partner since redit ways it's the same c: it's so good! Want to read Tokyo Rev, sorry i'm so mainstream rn (it's all Draken's fault) hahahah

Aero
03-10-2022, 05:00 AM
I was recommended, started, and caught up to Pokemon Festival of Champions (an independent Pokemon manga) and it's AMAZING. I can't wait for the next chapter to drop and I hope the publishing timeline doesn't remain so inconsistent!

I also went back and reread JJK's Shibuya Arc and just... pain... I may even watch this arc when it comes out in anime.

Hollow
03-10-2022, 11:19 AM
I'm still reading Blue Exorcist :) I've been patiently waiting for the next volume to release. I'm loving the direction the plot is going with now!

Cat Purrson
03-10-2022, 12:12 PM
I'm still reading Blue Exorcist :) I've been patiently waiting for the next volume to release. I'm loving the direction the plot is going with now!

Ooo nice I love Blue Exorcist!! Me and the bf just started reading the Demon Slayer Manga

Hollow
03-10-2022, 01:46 PM
Ooo nice I love Blue Exorcist!! Me and the bf just started reading the Demon Slayer Manga

Yesss isn't is so good?! I'm still hoping that they make another season for the anime ;u; I have yet to start Demon Slayer but I keep hearing great stuff about it!

Cat Purrson
03-13-2022, 03:43 AM
I picked up volume 1 of Fullmetal Alchemist today at the book store. It's my fav anime so I'm excited to read it!!

Corvid
03-19-2022, 05:39 PM
oooooo i haven't read manga for a hot minute, but i just started a series called 'what did you eat yesterday?' by fumi yoshinaga. it's a super chill slice of life story about two middle-aged gay men living in tokyo. our main character is a lawyer, but his true passion is cooking - a solid half of the pages are recipes and his inner thoughts while he makes dinner. if you're expecting a lot of story or don't like to cook, this manga might not be for you :ntyblob:

it was really cool to learn more about queer culture in japan and it also gave me TONS of new inspiration for new meals to make! anyone have recommendations for other manga with queer characters/themes?

Fogged
03-20-2022, 08:58 AM
I picked up volume 1 of Fullmetal Alchemist today at the book store. It's my fav anime so I'm excited to read it!!

FMA is really a good manga/anime to read/watch!

Cat Purrson
03-23-2022, 11:01 AM
I just finished Love in Focus and it was so good. I’m a sucker for romance anime/manga so if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know!

Ismira
03-28-2022, 03:08 PM
Do manhuas/webtoons count? Because I read far too many webtoons than is healthy and would love to talk to someone about them LOL!

Clefairy
03-29-2022, 11:44 AM
I'm obsessed with Vanitas no Carte, I just bought some small acrylic stands yesterday.

I NEED MORE

Buizel
03-29-2022, 09:25 PM
I recently started My Dress-Up Darling. :) Marin is a really cute character!

Cat Purrson
04-03-2022, 11:24 PM
Currently reading Lovesick Ellie and it's so good. I'm sad that's it's still being released so I have to wait until June for the next volume ;-; In the meantime I'd appreciate any recommendations for Shojo/Romance manga please and thanks!!

Zapdos
04-04-2022, 01:25 AM
I'm about to read my Ghost in the Shell mangas that I picked up a few years ago! I already love the series but ashamedly haven't started reading them yet :P
Would love any recs for similar series!

xmilo
04-09-2022, 10:12 PM
Not sure if anyone's from this era, but Ichigo 100% was da bomb when i was a teenager. lmao. All the ups and downs, mixture of ecchi and romance. i think i've read it at least 5 times now. maybe once more this year... 🤔

Flordibel
04-10-2022, 11:43 AM
Currently super into Boys Run the Riot! It's a manga about a transgender boy and cisgender boy who become friends and start a fashion brand. It was written by a trans author, and Kodansha hired an all-trans localization for the English release!

It's really lovely to see stories about this - queer friendships have such a certain feel to them that this manages to capture perfectly.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

darkzilla
05-09-2022, 09:00 PM
Currently reading Lovesick Ellie and it's so good. I'm sad that's it's still being released so I have to wait until June for the next volume ;-; In the meantime I'd appreciate any recommendations for Shojo/Romance manga please and thanks!!

Meanwhile I'm reading Chainsaw Man...

I want to pick up Demon Slayer or Jujutsu Kaisen next!

pillowfighter
05-31-2022, 05:36 AM
Currently I’m reading Perfect World and Jujutsu Kaisen!
I wanted to read jjk physically before jumping into reading it online but have been searching for vol 9 for forEVER! But I finally found it recently ;w;

EnderTheory
06-03-2022, 09:45 PM
I have a terrible habit of starting manga and forgetting to pick up where I left off ;u;

Currently, I am towards the middle of Jojolion (part 8 of Jojo), vol. 3 chapter 1 of Akira, and just beginning Chainsaw Man.

Trash Panda
06-05-2022, 11:33 AM
Cardcaptor Sakura: Deluxe Edition!

Currently on volume 3, tho I already bought all the way to volume 7 because I have no self control B)

- - - Updated - - -

Cardcaptor Sakura: Deluxe Edition!

Currently on volume 3, tho I already bought all the way to volume 7 because I have no self control B)

Hollow
06-05-2022, 11:48 AM
Kingdom Hearts 3 manga! Yep there's a KH manga xD I've been on the search for KH3 volume one manga but I can't find it anywhere, I managed to pick up the second volume though! I have all of them so far, apart from the one I'm after.

Menine
06-08-2022, 03:23 PM
Spy x Family B)

heh 𓁹‿𓁹

Kibba
06-08-2022, 03:31 PM
Boruto, One Piece, Boku no Hero and Black Clover(Its on pause rn)

Druid
07-10-2022, 03:22 PM
Nana! very slowly, it seems like the early volumes are between printings or something so instead of buying it I'm taking a couple from the library at a time

kittyray
07-16-2022, 04:01 PM
I started reading Annihilation last week, been kind of slow due to being busy/focus issues, but overall it's a pretty easy read. Really enjoying it so far. It's part of a trilogy and didn't want to jump into purchasing all three right away, but will definitely be picking up the other ones.

transformers
02-14-2023, 07:35 PM
I love Junji Ito! My favorite of his is probably Gyo, but the others are great too.

For current reads, I'm keeping up with Akatsuki no Yona and I love it! Easily my favorite manga atm. The characters and story are so good. I recommend it to anyone who likes historical fantasy, romance and adventure.

aeroryuu
02-19-2023, 03:06 PM
I'm reading Chobits and it's kind of boring. I'm also reading Host Club.

Yachiru
03-10-2023, 11:16 PM
atsume yuujinchou (夏目友人帳)! It is a manga (also anime series) related to some ancient and tales beasts or mosters of Japan. SUPER TOUCHING side lines and the main storyline flows
very well...

Synth Salazzle
03-10-2023, 11:21 PM
Dorohedoro, Chainsaw Man is next.

kittyray
03-12-2023, 01:12 AM
I started reading Why Fish Don't Exist today. I'm only a few chapters in, but I've already underlined soooo many bits. Torn between wanting to rush through it and wanting to savor it and let the insights as they relate to my own life to sink in a bit.

Dero
03-16-2023, 03:31 AM
Houseki no Kuni (Land of the Lustrous)
I highly 10000000000000000000% recommend reading it.
If you like plot twists, extreme apathy, extreme empathy, emotional stress, beautiful androgynous beings and a confusing plot that does actually gets resolution in the end (well, we're still having sporadic monthly releases but everything's making sense bit by bit) then this manga is for you.

I can't say it enough, please give this a go, it's a bit over 100 ch. so far but they're SO, SO, SOOOOOO good.

Sanctus
05-04-2023, 02:35 PM
Witch Hat Atelier is one of my current favorites right now. I'm waiting for more volumes to be translated/released.

On the backburner is Parasyte, which I've gotten a few volumes into but haven't finished yet... I should get back to that.