PDA

View Full Version : The Great cK Bake-Off

Fabulous
02-24-2021, 11:03 AM
:cupcake: The Great cK Bake-Off :cupcake:

There has been a strong appetite (hehe) for a cK baking contest for a while, and now Bat has created a scrumptious userbar to make this all the more tempting!

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

It's customizable! you can decorate! your cupcakes! virtually! and choose flavours! and wrappers! it’s brilliant!
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

This spin on a typical bake-off will pit you against yourself and your hectic daily life. Over the next month, you will chose from the list of prompts below and Bake The Things. You decide what challenges to take on when, depending on your schedule and ingredient availability in your area.

Info & Rules

The contest runs from today until Sunday, March 28th at midnight NST.

In order to unlock the userbar, you will need to fulfill 10 prompts within that time period.

Post your bakes on a dedicated thread in the Cooking Forum ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) entitled "Bake-Off - [username]". Please include photos, what recipe you used, and what prompt(s) are being filled!

Use the Bake-Off Discussion Thread ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) for discussion and commenting on peoples’ entries.

FAQ
I’m not really a good baker, can I still participate?
Yes! Newbies welcome! Not every bake will be a masterpiece. Your failures count just as much as your successes in fulfilling the prompts; post pics and let’s have a laugh together. I promise I will share my baking disasters too!

Define "baking": is this bake-off only for cookies and cakes?
Baking is "a method of preparing food that uses dry heat"(wiki ([Only registered and activated users can see links])) so you are free to explore not only cookies and cakes but anything else typically baked - pastries, pies, tarts, quiches, bagels, scones, pretzels... whatever strikes your fancy!

I don’t have access to an oven, can I still participate?
We are mindful of being inclusive -- and assuming that everyone has access to an oven is making a lot of assumptions about the living situations of potential participants. For those without access to an oven, you can absolutely look at no-bake options for typically baked goods. You can participate by making mug cakes in the microwave, crockpot dinner rolls, firepit brownies, slow-cooker bread… be creative and work with what you have. There will be no gatekeeping & no need to justify your entries or limitations. This is for fun!

Can I use boxed stuff?
You can use boxed cake mixes or integrate other premade products if you wish (please note this in your recipe). Or go hardcore and make everything from scratch. Whatever makes your home smell delicious and checks off a prompt! (Obviously, don’t buy croissants at your local bakery, do nothing to them, and claim them as your work; premade stuff should be integrated into a larger creation!)

Can we combine prompts?
Yes. Note that a maximum of 2 prompts per bake will count towards the 10 required for the userbar. Can't make it that easy for you!

What does [insert prompt] mean?
These are intentionally open-ended prompts so interpret them in whatever way best inspires you!

Prompts

Icing Extravaganza

“Challenge Accepted”: find a recipe that intimidates you and DO IT

Ugly but delicious

“Florals? For spring? Groundbreaking.”

No knead

Something sticky

Easy like Sunday morning

Braided

Emotional Eating

Something moist (hehe)

Fondant Fetish

Something round

Candy Crush

Mom mode: eyeball everything, no measuring cups allowed

Something savoury

At least three tiers

Home

“Fold the cheese”

Best served cold

Childhood favourite

Ombre

Upside-down

Your favourite baking recipe passed on from family or friends

Citrus

Baking, but make it meme

Fun-size

Healthy

Piping Perfectionist

No shopping allowed: use only what is in your pantry or fridge

Crust

“Let them eat cake”

Something you’ve never made, but always wanted to try making

Liquor or liqueur

Too pretty to eat

You as a baked good

Cinnamon

Free day / make up your own prompt

Show off for us!

Any questions? PM me or post them on the discussion thread!

~ ur friend Fab, secretly Mary Berry :cupcake:

Aldrif
03-01-2021, 11:48 AM
This is exciting, I have been looking for an excuse to use my new(vintage) flour canisters and mixing bowls :cupcake:

lederp
03-12-2021, 11:32 PM
Quarantine baking is finally going to pay off (lately been on a sourdough run)!

Milly
03-17-2021, 06:11 PM
My cake is gonna say "Hiddenbelow owns me"