PDA

View Full Version : Ryu Scene Creation Contest (submissions only)

Fabulous
01-12-2021, 03:09 PM
Submission Thread: Ryu Scene Creation Contest
[Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Submission template:

Scene as a .gif or .png:

Proposed title for the scene:

Proposed unlocking mechanism (optional):

Designer's notes (optional):

This contest will close on February 2, 2021, at midnight NST.

Thank you for participating! Be sure to show some love to other entrants in the general thread ([Only registered and activated users can see links]). :cupcake:

Zapdos
01-12-2021, 08:50 PM
UNDER THE WAVES
[Only registered and activated users can see links]
please click and drag into url bar for crisp/non-fuzzy view

Suggested unlocking: Enter any CK Contest

Notes
Colours used: 4
Thank you so much to the CK team for this contest!! :o_o: I very rarely get to make pixel art as much as I'd like to, so I'm so stoked about this!
I love underwater scenes and drawing bubbles, so naturally I had to make this lol. A big inspo for me is the underwater scenes from Donkey Kong Country!

Stardust
01-12-2021, 11:06 PM

Moon Blossoms

🌸 Feed your Ryu at least 25 times in total 🌸

Notes:

🌸 It's my first time doing pixel art!! And it was a ton of fun. c: While I played around with some other ideas, I decided to go with a cherry blossom theme because I adore them.
🌸 The suggested unlocking requirements were inspired by a few facts I read about cherry blossom trees; the flowers are edible and used in many Japanese sweets and teas, and they have an average lifespan of 15-25 years.

TsUNaMy WaVe
01-13-2021, 03:14 AM
Starry Desert

Suggested unlocking method: unlocked automatically after caring for your Ryu for 7 months.

Notes:

me: saying I'm not sure I'll have time to join
also me: immediately proceeding to make an entry
lol.
Anyway, I'm not an artist and definitely not a pixel artist, but I had a sudden inspiration for a scene so I just went for it. This scene is based on the Hikari's "stage of fate" from the anime Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight (I added the moon though, there isn't one there). The unlocking method is based on the time Hikari was stuck in that desert.
Reference pictures: 1 ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), 2 ([Only registered and activated users can see links]).

Lapis
01-13-2021, 03:47 AM
"this is fine"

this is my first time doing pixel art, I thought this would be a nice background! especially since it's basically what most of this and last year has been like

Nyanobyte
01-13-2021, 11:41 AM
Forgotten Forest

Proposed unlocking mechanism (optional): Unlock this after filling at least 6 hearts worth of interactions via playing with Ryus that aren't your own.

Designer's notes (optional): I wanted to make something that felt like the deep forest, where you'd find Faeries, mushrooms and a little magic!
The idea for this was that mystical feeling you get when alone in the woods on a warm day and the sun filters through the trees.

A larger version to better see the details:

Apologies for any mistakes and for the potato upload quality

LibraryFaerie
01-13-2021, 12:08 PM
ROY G. BIV

Proposed unlocking mechanism: rewarded for random acts of Ryu kindness (i.e. feeding/playing/scooping 25 pets other than your own)

Notes:
It's also my first time doing pixel art! Simple design. Had to get a submission in before I was too intimidated by all the other wonderful things that are about to come out. I used pixilart.com for any other newbies wanting to try their hand. It's a free web browser program that was super easy to use.

Aero
01-13-2021, 01:42 PM
The Great Wave off Kanagawa

Proposed Unlocking Mechanism: I also like the altruistic mechanisms suggested above by Nyanobyte and LibraryFaerie!

Notes: zapd0s and I came up with this idea together, but since submissions are locked one per ck account I made this one for both of us (I didn't think I was going to enter haha). It might be a bit too detailed for a ryu background, though, possibly clashing with the visibility of ryus? Reference used (Wave off Kanagawa).

Hall
01-13-2021, 01:54 PM
Time for Bees

Proposed Unlocking Mechanism: Making a dumb bee joke/pun or being a busy worker by taking care of x amount of Ryus in a day.

All these crazy detailed backgrounds are amazing but I figured something simple was in order. Didn't add any actual bees in case people didn't like them.

Stardew
01-13-2021, 02:38 PM
Starry Starry Night

Proposed unlocking mechanism: Enter any creative contest on cK.

Designer's notes: Used Van Gogh's Starry Night as a reference, but took some creative liberties to make all of this fit nicely into the canvas. Limited myself to a color palette of only 11 colors. Might need a bit of a light filter or an edit to be usable for ryugotchis, but I didn't want to make those edits without showing the original!

300% version, for details:

What did not make the cut:
Ten Miles of Peach Blossom

Designer's notes: 8 colors
Proposed unlocking mechanism: Play with your ryugotchi during spring.

On Cloud Nine

Designer's notes: 6 colors
Proposed unlocking mechanism: During the month of February, get "chocolate" (aka your ryu gets fed) from 10 different cK members.

I had ideas for quite a few more. These were the ones I had started on before realizing we could only send in one entry!

Thank you for hosting this, Fabulous! I had a blast! Hopefully we'll get to make more of these at some point!

GreyFaerie
01-15-2021, 01:18 AM
Vapor City

Proposed unlocking mechanism: Take care of your ryu during sunset.

Designer's notes: You have created a monster.
I started doing a couple of scenes and now I can't stop. This is one of the first drawings. Maybe it doesn't contrast with the ryus but I liked the color palette.
Reference used: vaporwave aesthetic

Ariealle
01-15-2021, 12:07 PM
"Dude!" What does mine say?

How to Unlock

Alternate feeding and playing with your Ryu 250 times in a row.

If you happen to: Feed → Feed → Play or Play → Play → Feed, your streak* resets.
*Poops do not count.

Designer Notes

I've only ever made like, tiny images and stuff on Animal Crossing, so I looked up how to blend and make a glow. Hopefully everything is ok and correct. The mushroom idea came first and then tried to find something other than "Trippy" to describe it or taking a trip.

BONUS
300%

Green was the first choice and when I finally finished said, I wonder what this'd look like with purple. Should've done that in the first place.

Alister
01-17-2021, 02:13 AM
Chemical Corridor

standard version

lightened for Ryu-friendliness

skyline version

Proposed Unlocking Method: Collect seven chaos emeralds and fifty rings... (there is a proposed unlock method, but it's a secret :onthego:)

Designer Notes: The spring is a little funky to try and make sure the Ryu controls are at least semi-legible over all the gray. I've only done a couple of pixel drawings before and I'm really happy with how this one turned out even if it's a bit too busy for a proper Ryu scene. I want to do more zones now, RIP my free time. Update - made a couple of minor changes now that it's not 2am...that spring was driving me nuts :|

valora
01-18-2021, 05:02 AM
Among the Stars
(official entry)

Proposed unlocking mechanism:
Feed/play with your Ryu between 00:00 and 00:01

Designer's notes:
It was originally flipped but I think the Ryu buttons/gradient would cover the big planet

Lunar Fields
(bonus entry)

Designer's notes:
Just a pretty bonus scene because I was enjoying making pixel art too much :')

Danny Phantom
01-19-2021, 01:28 PM
Sunrise Bridge

Suggested unlocking mechanism: Playing, feeding and scooping a poop between 5am and 6am.

Notes: I first thought about making a field scene, but then I thought about how cute it would be to have our Ryus walking on a bridge, haha! I wanted to try a pastel color scheme as I don't do that often, which sparked the sunrise idea; this is also my very first try on pixel art - I still have a long way to go but I really liked the result in the end.

Extras

Scene with a Ryu:

300%:

kittyray
01-26-2021, 03:31 PM
Amongst The Lotuses

Honestly I had so many shitpost ideas like hitting the left/right selector buttons in a certain sequence without clicking the action button. I kind of like the idea of bringing back some old neopets plots mechanics and hiding something in source code for somebody to find, even though that has literally nothing to do with lotuses and lily pads and made a lot more sense when I was going the purely generative pattern route.

[edit] I stand by what I said about hiding something in code somewhere, but I also liked when I had a theory about scenes being tied to different evolution branches. Right now it doesn't really "match" any of the branches we currently have, but maybe a future one, and still have some sort of extra puzzle to go with it.
Also, the hiding-in-the-code thing could be as simple as visiting a specific URL that's hidden somewhere like that one music clickable avatar on neopets.

Designer's notes:

Can't believe I didn't end up going the pattern route. I have like two dozen rough drafts to share in the discussion thread. The big version isn't that cute, but the big version of the background is. Enjoy:

Code used to generate the background was written by me and can be found here ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), although some values were changed since generating the one I used, so it will look different.

Code for placement of circles without overlap was originally written by Daniel Shiffman for The Coding Train. My altered version for lily pads can be found here ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) (I added the lines). I pixelfied them using photoshop because I was too lazy to do the math for drawing a bunch of squares to make a pixelated circle.

Honestly I can't believe I ended up doing a drawing type thing over a pattern, but I'm glad I saw this through.

I am doubting the exact placements of the flowers, but if I don't submit now I'll overanalyze forever.

Mario2302
01-31-2021, 03:33 PM
proposed title: It's a-Me!

proposed unlocking mechanism: get your play to feed ratio above the average play to feed ratio of the forum

So hopefully it's actually noticeable that this is heavily influenced by "Super mario bros". If not i guess my first attempt at pixel art failed even harder as I thought it would. I think i used about 10-15 colours in the end and the goal was to capture the feel of L1-1 of the very first super mario bros game (though i had to go minimal with only 158 pixels on the x-axis :p)

Digipoop
01-31-2021, 11:12 PM
Vaporwave Plaza

Unlock method: hidden!

notes:

300% to see the, um, interesting pixel placement choices on the columns

6 colors were used in total

Beth77
02-01-2021, 03:19 PM
Scene name: Full of Hot Air

300% view:

With a Ryu:

Posting on X amount of different boards releasing your hot air.(spam does not count)

Designer's notes:

Completely intimidated by the other entries but wanted to share my thought/creation anyway.
I have always loved hot air balloons. I am however, too chicken shit to actually take a ride on one.

First time doing pixel art, I hope I did it correct. If it doesn't abide by a rule, sorry in advance and please feel free to disqualify and use the thought to create a similar scene, if wanted.
Feedback, of any kind, is appreciated (on the other board though ;)).