PDA

View Full Version : Ryugotchi Scene Creation Contest

Fabulous
01-12-2021, 03:09 PM
Ryugotchi Scene Creation Contest
[Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links]

After some light arm twisting, Bat has given this contest the green light. Hooray!

The concept: propose a new scene (background) for our Ryus. Entries will be judged on creativity by cK staff, and the winning one will be added as a Ryu background, live on cK!

The challenge begins today and closes on February 2, 2021, at midnight NST.

Rules
[Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links]

One entry per person

Entries must be 158x20 pix in size, submitted in .GIF or .PNG format. (Do keep your source file on hand, as Bat may need it if you win!)

Entries must use 8-bit colors. Here ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) is a 256 8-bit palette site as an example (it also helps you find colour harmonies!)

Entries must be created from scratch (no copied resources; if you use general references, please link them)

Entries must abide by classic pixel art principles (more on this downthread, but for example, no transparent or semi-transparent pixels, no fuzzy brushes)

Entries must abide by the forum's rules ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

The winning design may be modified before final implementation in the forum

Pixel art tips and tricks

Nothing too complicated here - we shan't delve into heated pixel purist ideology debates or do too much gatekeeping. New pixel artists are very welcome! To make sure we're all on the same page for these creations, as the Ryu scenes have a specific pixel art aesthetic, here is an excellent explanation of pixel art ([Only registered and activated users can see links]).

In the context of this wee contest:

Try to use a fairly restricted colour palette in your piece
Whatever your drawing tool is, make sure it's set to zero transparency or maximum opacity (e.g. pencil tool at 100% opacity in Photoshop)
Most pixels should be hand-placed (but we are not such fusspots that floodfills or other shortcuts are disallowed, just make sure those tools don't fuzz up your edges)
Don't use your program to add lighting/shadow/particle effects; keep it crisp and hand-crafted
Use the pencil tool, or equivalent hard brushes to keep your art pixel-perfect. Avoid using any soft brushes, scaling tools or filters which may muddy your work. Pixel art is about paying specific attention to the placement of each pixel.
You don't need fancy programs - MS Paint will do perfectly

Existing scenes, for your inspiration: compiled by Nyanobyte here ([Only registered and activated users can see links])!

Any questions, praising peoples’ entries, etc., can be made right here on this thread. When you are ready to submit your entry, please use the submission thread ([Only registered and activated users can see links](submissions-only)&p=1140215#post1140215).

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Credit and love to Stardust for the Ryu gif dividers!

kittyray
01-12-2021, 03:38 PM
Ooooh, this is exciting. Thanks for hosting and I'm glad it gets to happen! Have a couple of super vague ideas, so let's see if I can pull it together to make something that makes sense and also do pixel art for the first time.

Stardew
01-12-2021, 03:50 PM
This contest is calling my name, gonna brainstorm some ideas :o_o:

(am I allowed to participate as an experienced pixel artist? I don't have a job doing this but I'm definitely not a newbie)

Fabulous
01-12-2021, 04:01 PM
(am I allowed to participate as an experienced pixel artist? I don't have a job doing this but I'm definitely not a newbie)

Hell yes u are, this is for all skill levels, and now you know I'm watching you with high expectations and the pressure is on

Stardew
01-12-2021, 04:07 PM
Hell yes u are, this is for all skill levels, and now you know I'm watching you with high expectations and the pressure is on

Hell yes, I'm off to the drawing board then! B)

Recommending Aseprite as THE BEST pixel art software there is just in case anyone needs something better than Paint! It's not free but it's absolutely worth the money :)

Buizel
01-12-2021, 04:07 PM
Oh wow! Can't wait to see what you all come up with! c: I couldn't do any sort of art to save my life lol so I'll be gleefully watching from the sidelines. :rolleyes:

Erik.
01-12-2021, 04:10 PM
Oh I know exactly what I want to make!

Aero
01-12-2021, 04:15 PM
I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with :)

Edit: I literally duplicated Brittany's comment I'm so sorry /hides still excited tho!!!!

Mario2302
01-12-2021, 04:40 PM
owh this is an exciting one :o i'll surely be watching all entries and if i can come up with a cool idea i'll certainly give it a go too though i'm really bad with art in general :p

Flordibel
01-12-2021, 04:59 PM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Alister
01-12-2021, 05:22 PM
I can't wait to find out just how far the rift is between the scene I want to make and my pixel art skills lol

this contest sounds like so much fun, thank you for letting us do it!

PrettySarcastic
01-12-2021, 05:30 PM
Oh wow! Can't wait to see what you all come up with! c: I couldn't do any sort of art to save my life lol so I'll be gleefully watching from the sidelines. :rolleyes:

I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with :)

Edit: I literally duplicated Brittany's comment I'm so sorry /hides still excited tho!!!!

I'm generally speaking pretty awful at art, but I've tried my hand at Ryu scenes, and the tiny, precise nature of this art makes it a bit more finesse and cleverness and a little less actual proficiency with art in a traditional sense?

I dunno, perhaps it's just me. You should give it a try, honestly.

Something like Paint will be challenging to work within, but there are free tools online that are very similar to Photoshop like photopea.com and Gimp that will be fairly worthy substitutes. :)

I'm eager to see what everyone comes up with as well!

Digipoop
01-12-2021, 05:49 PM
This is exciting, thank you for the contest!

kittyray
01-12-2021, 05:54 PM
Also, I know we have people who like code in our midst, if you want to go the pattern route (which I'm assuming is okay because of the heart one), now might be a nice opportunity to try something like processing ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) out.

You can write in Java or Python, and there's also p5js ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) which is fully in-browser and another framework called openFrameworks ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) which is c++.

It can be intimidating to see all of the really complex things people create and we're limited to static images, but it's a cool option to flex a potentially new muscle, especially if you're like me and were ready to throw the pencil tool out the window three pixels in.

Everything I mentioned has galleries of different examples and shared projects would could lend to inspiration, though with some mental filtering to meet the guidelines of this contest.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]/2020-All

valora
01-12-2021, 06:53 PM
ooh i love this idea!! will definitely try to participate if i have time, looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with :)

Double.Trouble
01-12-2021, 06:56 PM
I'll definitely give this a try!

basically
01-12-2021, 07:33 PM
This is so exciting! I'm terrible at pixel art but might give it a go. Am very excited to see the entries that will come out of this. :)

Charmander
01-12-2021, 07:47 PM
This sounds like such a fun contest.I am loving all these events and it bringing the cK community together. This will be another fun one to challenge my art skills!

Zapdos
01-12-2021, 08:22 PM
Pixel art is my favourite medium, I can't wait to enter! :o_o:
Also I didn't see but is there a limit on how many times we can enter?

EDIT: Posted my entry! If we can make multiple entries, I have lots of ideas I'd love to try out lol. Thank you so much for hosting Fab!!

Fabulous
01-12-2021, 08:53 PM
Pixel art is my favourite medium, I can't wait to enter! :o_o:
Also I didn't see but is there a limit on how many times we can enter?

That's on me for not being specific: one official entry per person. Thank you for asking!

That being said, please feel free to share anything you work on here at any point (drafts, alternate ideas that didn't make the cut) - would love to see them!

Zapdos
01-12-2021, 08:56 PM
That's on me for not being specific: one official entry per person. Thank you for asking!

That being said, please feel free to share anything you work on here at any point (drafts, alternate ideas that didn't make the cut) - would love to see them!

Thank you Fab! I'm very happy with my entry so I'm okay with just one :)
I might just make some alternative bgs for fun!

Fabulous
01-12-2021, 08:56 PM
EDIT: Posted my entry! If we can make multiple entries, I have lots of ideas I'd love to try out lol. Thank you so much for hosting Fab!!

That is absolutely gorgeous, I am floored. The. DETAILS. The movement is spectacular. Hats off!

kittyray
01-12-2021, 09:02 PM
zapd0s yours is so pretty, the fuck

Zapdos
01-12-2021, 09:11 PM
That is absolutely gorgeous, I am floored. The. DETAILS. The movement is spectacular. Hats off!

zapd0s yours is so pretty, the fuck

Thank you SO much guys!! I'm really honoured :love_heart: I cannot wait to see everyone elses, I love a pixel art feast!! :o_o:

Stardust
01-12-2021, 09:16 PM
zapd0s Ahh your entry is so pretty!! The waves looks so smooth and those bubbles are A++

Zapdos
01-12-2021, 11:11 PM
Stardust
Thank you so much!

I LOVE your entry!! It's super aesthetic, and I never would've guessed it was your first time making pixel art. Lovely subtle palette! :love_heart:

kittyray
01-12-2021, 11:22 PM
Stardust yours is so pretty, omg, already hoping we get multiple winners!

PrettySarcastic
01-13-2021, 12:14 AM
Stardust

I die over cherry blossoms. Just ask Malcontent what it's like to shop for me for gifts. I love your entry, it's beauuuuutifulllllll!!!!

Flordibel
01-13-2021, 12:47 AM
Y'all are so talented *sob emoji* ffffffffffffffffrickkkkkk I'm in love!!!!

Dita
01-13-2021, 02:04 AM
Stardust and zapd0s you both just made me not even want to enter because I just want to use your backgrounds :o_o: I love them!

Zapdos
01-13-2021, 02:22 AM
Stardust and zapd0s you both just made me not even want to enter because I just want to use your backgrounds :o_o: I love them!

Thank you so much ;; but also noooo please enter Dita!! There's so many talented peeps here on CK and we could have a fresh pool of future bgs for release :o_o: (if Bat would like that lol)

TsUNaMy WaVe
01-13-2021, 02:36 AM
This contest sounds like so much fun! Idk if I can participate yet, but I'd love to
Anyway the two submissions so far are amazing!! I love the underwater vibes and cherry blossoms are so beautiful!

Lapis
01-13-2021, 03:48 AM
y'all inspired me to make my own submission 0: i haven't ever done pixel art before so this was fun!

Zapdos
01-13-2021, 04:19 AM
y'all inspired me to make my own submission 0: i haven't ever done pixel art before so this was fun!

OMG I love your entry, had me cracking up thinking of a lil Ryu stumbling around in that scene! Great job!

Stardew
01-13-2021, 04:39 AM
One entry only? Oh heck I had ideas for like 5

gonna have to think long and hard about what makes the cut

LibraryFaerie
01-13-2021, 09:48 AM
Oh my gosh just based on the few entries I've seen already I CAN'T WAIT to see what else everyone comes up with! There is so much talent floating around here!

basically
01-13-2021, 10:54 AM
I already want all of the backgrounds that have been submitted. D: Lapis your entry is legit so relevant to my life rn. :tears_of_joy:

Koto
01-13-2021, 11:02 AM

I have a little too much going on to make time for this this time around but I am so excited to see everyone's entries!

Nyanobyte
01-13-2021, 11:46 AM
Oh my gosh, everyones entries are so gorgeous! I love how truly diverse and creative they all are.

zapd0s , the details in your waves are insane. Wow! How do the bubbles look so real!?

Stardust your entry is AESTHETIC, love your blossoms!

TsUNaMy WaVe your color palette is gorgeous. The shading on your sand is a great touch!

Lapis , your entry is MOOD. You've captured the meme perfectly!

This was me putting mine out after seeing the quality of everyone else's:

Buizel
01-13-2021, 12:23 PM
Seeing all these great entries, and then my foolish one I'm working on got me like :distant: . But these are all so great so far! :)

but it is shaping out better than I imagined so I hope I can be done with it soon haha

Aero
01-13-2021, 01:27 PM
I actually finished mine just now, but imgur is down so I'll wait a bit to post it! Edit: Imgur's back up so I've posted mine :)

LibraryFaerie
01-13-2021, 01:44 PM
Nyanobyte Brittany, same x100000. Had to throw it up and walk away for a minute so I wouldn't take it right back down lol

Edit because I just popped back over to the submission page and Aero HOLY COW YOU BLEW MY SOCKS OFF

GreyFaerie
01-13-2021, 01:59 PM
I read the pixel art guide before going to sleep and dreamed that I was drawing a couple of scenes for this contest. I will have to participate before have other symptoms lol

Everyone says these are your first pixel art drawings and they are all WONDERFUL scenes. So I'm not going to believe you :star:

Beth77
01-13-2021, 02:05 PM
Amazing contest idea. I haven't dabbled in pixel art and then I browsed the entries so far and I gotta say, I am very intimated and probably won't dabble in pixel art anytime soon. All your different ideas, and entries are just amazing!

Aero
01-13-2021, 02:14 PM
Nyanobyte Brittany, same x100000. Had to throw it up and walk away for a minute so I wouldn't take it right back down lol

Edit because I just popped back over to the submission page and Aero HOLY COW YOU BLEW MY SOCKS OFF

Ahh thank you so much! :') I've really liked all the diverse entries so far (there's been little colour palette overlap, even!), and I could see myself using a lot of them.

Mario2302
01-13-2021, 02:45 PM
One entry only? Oh heck I had ideas for like 5

gonna have to think long and hard about what makes the cut

make them all, submit the one you like best and share the others in the Ruy art thread ;)

on another note, with all them entries so far i'm feeling very intimidated; like i'm doing what homer's doing in Nyanobyte's post times euhm twenty :p

edit: Stardew well guess i missed a spoiler in my first look because you already shared all of them *slaps self in face*

GreyFaerie
01-13-2021, 02:55 PM
Good luck to the staff choosing just one haha

Stardew
01-13-2021, 02:59 PM
make them all, submit the one you like best and share the others in the Ruy art thread ;)

on another note, with all them entries so far i'm feeling very intimidated; like i'm doing what homer's doing in Nyanobyte's post times euhm twenty :p

edit: Stardew well guess i missed a spoiler in my first look because you already shared all of them *slaps self in face*

Oh no worries! It's okay! I figured I'd just put them in the thread anyway, just tucked away so it's obvious they don't really count. :D

To be honest I am feeling quite intimidated too! Lots of good entries!

Alister
01-13-2021, 03:07 PM
I'm so impressed by everyone's entries that it's gotten me so excited to try my own omg. I had one question regarding 8 bit colors I was hoping someone more experienced than myself wouldn't mind helping me with? What makes something 8 bit specifically rather than other kinds of pixel art, does it mean there's a limited amount of colors being used? The Pixel Art tutorial Fabulous linked is great and has given me some ideas I'm looking forward to trying but it's the "8 bit" qualification specifically I'm uncertain about.

Mario2302
01-13-2021, 03:12 PM
I'm so impressed by everyone's entries that it's gotten me so excited to try my own omg. I had one question regarding 8 bit colors I was hoping someone more experienced than myself wouldn't mind helping me with? What makes something 8 bit specifically rather than other kinds of pixel art, does it mean there's a limited amount of colors being used? The Pixel Art tutorial Fabulous linked is great and has given me some ideas I'm looking forward to trying but it's the "8 bit" qualification specifically I'm uncertain about.

perhaps this wikipedia entry ([Only registered and activated users can see links]:~:text=8%2Dbit%20color%20graphics%20are ,is%20256%20or%2028.) explains it a bit though i'm not sure myself :p

Aero
01-13-2021, 03:27 PM

I wasn't so sure either tbh... I just double checked in my Photoshop settings that my image mode was 8 bit colour and hoped that was enough.
Stardew I LOVE "ON CLOUD NINE" it's a travesty we could only submit one!!! I wish someone could submit that one for you!!

Stardew
01-13-2021, 03:35 PM
I wasn't so sure either tbh... I just double checked in my Photoshop settings that my image mode was 8 bit colour and hoped that was enough.
Stardew I LOVE "ON CLOUD NINE" it's a travesty we could only submit one!!! I wish someone could submit that one for you!!

if someone would enter that on my behalf I would not be opposed
No that's probably not allowed lol.

or if we were allowed two submissions I'd pick On Cloud Nine, but I spent a lot of time on Starry Starry Night and I think it shows so I chose that

BUT THANK YOU! ♥ I was worried me being all like OH I'M NOT A NEWBIE AT THIS would mean I'd disappoint because I hyped stuff up but it seems I'm fine :P

As for 8bit stuff, Alister, it has to do with a specific limitation in the color palette that, to my understanding, had to do with the technology of the time! Modern pixel art can use any color we choose, but back then, it had to adhere to whatever was possible for the system. This means that when you say 8 bit color, you pick a specific color palette from a specific system, and stick to that! You can google 8 bit palettes to use (I recommend looking for ones with 256 colors) or you can just use the one linked in the first post ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), which is what I did!

Alister
01-13-2021, 03:58 PM
As for 8bit stuff, Alister, it has to do with a specific limitation in the color palette that, to my understanding, had to do with the technology of the time! Modern pixel art can use any color we choose, but back then, it had to adhere to whatever was possible for the system. This means that when you say 8 bit color, you pick a specific color palette from a specific system, and stick to that! You can google 8 bit palettes to use (I recommend looking for ones with 256 colors) or you can just use the one linked in the first post ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), which is what I did!

got it, thank you, that really helps! I wasn't sure if the linked palette implied we could use all colors shown in all the tables, or had to pick just one of the 6 x 6 tables and stick to it to qualify as 8 bit.

I thought it might have even meant we could only use eight colors total and was really baffled on how you all have pulled off such lovely designs with such limited colors

rio
01-13-2021, 04:52 PM
Oh man I have so many ideas but I've never done pixel art, even with the resources you linked I feel incapable hahah

EDIT: I just looked at the submissions thread, uhhhh you guys are all unreal, I love them all *___*

Zapdos
01-13-2021, 05:27 PM
got it, thank you, that really helps! I wasn't sure if the linked palette implied we could use all colors shown in all the tables, or had to pick just one of the 6 x 6 tables and stick to it to qualify as 8 bit.

I thought it might have even meant we could only use eight colors total and was really baffled on how you all have pulled off such lovely designs with such limited colors

I usually see 8-bit as = 8 colours, from my time at pixeljoint, so that's what I went with. However I only ended up using 4 colours in mine!

Edit: Not claiming this is what 8-bit is, apologies for any confusion.

Lapis
01-13-2021, 05:50 PM
perhaps this wikipedia entry ([Only registered and activated users can see links]:~:text=8%2Dbit%20color%20graphics%20are ,is%20256%20or%2028.) explains it a bit though i'm not sure myself :p

I was a bit confused by 8-bit colors too rip, I�m not sure if my submission passes the guidelines

Stardew
01-13-2021, 05:53 PM
I usually see 8-bit as = 8 colours, from my time at pixeljoint, so that's what I went with. However I only ended up using 4 colours in mine!

I definitely don't think that's what is meant by 8 bit, it has to do with the amount of colours they could show on video game hardware:

Since modern display panels use pixels controlled by digital processors, each pixel represents bits of data. Each bit has either a zero or one value for every primary color: red, green, and blue, aka RGB. Thus an 8-bit panel has 2 to the power of 8 values per color: that’s 256 gradations or versions each of red, blue, and green.

And other resources on 8-bit say the same aka you are not limited to 8 colors! however pixel artists like to challenge themselves to not use a lot of different ones, for fun and because it's impressive or a stylistic choice!

Edit: another good explanation for what 8-bit stands for here: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Zapdos
01-13-2021, 06:07 PM
I definitely don't think that's what is meant by 8 bit, it has to do with the amount of colours they could show on video game hardware:

Since modern display panels use pixels controlled by digital processors, each pixel represents bits of data. Each bit has either a zero or one value for every primary color: red, green, and blue, aka RGB. Thus an 8-bit panel has 2 to the power of 8 values per color: that’s 256 gradations or versions each of red, blue, and green.

And other resources on 8-bit say the same aka you are not limited to 8 colors! however pixel artists like to challenge themselves to not use a lot of different ones, for fun and because it's impressive or a stylistic choice!

Edit: another good explanation for what 8-bit stands for here: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Sorry, I should've specified that I wasn't claiming that was what 8-bit is, just an anecdote of my process :) You are definitely correct.

Stardew
01-13-2021, 06:13 PM
Sorry, I should've specified that I wasn't claiming that was what 8-bit is, just an anecdote of my process :) You are definitely correct.

Yeah, I thought that might be the case but I really wanted to clear up the meaning just in case the 8 color part confused anybody! I don't want anyone to think they have to do that! It sounds very limiting (and it is, but also very cool)

Also it's super cool what you were able to do with 4 colors! It's hard using that few!

Fabulous
01-13-2021, 06:40 PM
me rn omg

Zapdos
01-13-2021, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I thought that might be the case but I really wanted to clear up the meaning just in case the 8 color part confused anybody! I don't want anyone to think they have to do that! It sounds very limiting (and it is, but also very cool)

Also it's super cool what you were able to do with 4 colors! It's hard using that few!

Of course, thanks for clarifying with the nitty gritty! :)

Thank you so much!! I highly recommend to anyone to try using a limited palette once they've got the hang of the essentials (anti-aliasing, shading, clusters etc)! Its like doing a digital puzzle that you design yourself :o_o:

me rn omg

I REALLY hope we can have all of these!!! The entries are perfect and I just know there's going to be so many more amazing submissions! :'D

Fabulous
01-13-2021, 06:58 PM
I REALLY hope we can have all of these!!! The entries are perfect and I just know there's going to be so many more amazing submissions! :'D

yea i am literally so happy i am not involved in the judging of this because the entries are all so good i wouldn't know how to find consensus with fellow judges?

cage match

Stardew
01-13-2021, 07:01 PM
yea i am literally so happy i am not involved in the judging of this because the entries are all so good i wouldn't know how to find consensus with fellow judges?

cage match
OK so who do we have to bribe to allow multiple winners

:P

TsUNaMy WaVe
01-13-2021, 07:09 PM
OK so who do we have to bribe to allow multiple winners

:P

Probably Bat because he is the one who'll need to implement them lmao

Zapdos
01-13-2021, 07:15 PM
Probably Bat because he is the one who'll need to implement them lmao

I wonder if I can bribe Bat for multiple winners with a Bat Cave ryu bg?? :rolleyes: lol

basically
01-13-2021, 10:06 PM
I feel like every time I check back I'm blown away even more. The Starry Night and Great Wave ones!! How is this community so talented omg

Stardew
01-14-2021, 06:49 AM
Now that I'm not spending every free minute on my submission(s):

zapd0s: Your ability to make that scene with 4 COLORS (??!!!) astounds me! The bubbles look so good! :O I am also a big fan of underwater things and you definitely captured this very well!

Stardust: This was your FIRST time doing pixel art? Your entry is so good! Why are you so talented at every artsy thing! I like the creativity in the unlocking mechanism too!

TsUNaMy-WaVe: I'm a SUCKER for anything nighttime / starry. I love the colors and the curves are very smooth! Nicely done! I can see the influence from the reference but you still made your own artistic choices!

Lapis: I CACKLED when I saw this one! I especially want to compliment the way you did the flames, very nice! This one is definitely appropriate for 2020 and it really makes me wonder how we'd unlock it... 4 poops on the ground, anyone?

Nyanobyte: LOVE this one! The colors, the swampiness, the hanging plants and lights! Very nicely done!

LibraryFaerie: RAINBOWS! I like the simplicity of this one and I love a good rainbow. I also think the unlocking mechanism is nice! Rewarding people for taking care of other people's ryu's is definitely a good thing! Please don't feel intimidated, you did great!

Aero: HOLY GUACAMOLE! I knew exactly what it was when I saw it, and I think that's the most important when you're referencing a painting! also it amuses me that someone else had the same idea, namely a famous painting Very cool and well done fitting it in the canvas that must've been a challenge!

Hall: Ooh very nice! I love the simplicity of it and how smooth the pattern looks! Bee-lieve me, I LOVE puns! I think being a bee-sy worker fits for this one, but my heart wants this one to bee rewarded for the worst of puns! 🐝

Clefairy
01-14-2021, 07:43 AM
I'd kill for Stardust bg

Nattiee
01-14-2021, 09:06 AM
I cant handle you all. seriously holy cow.
Ya'll show up every.damn.time.

I had a good laugh with the "this is fine" bg
and that Starry Night one? You've Gogh-t to be kidding me. It's like .. an exact replica how?!?!

LibraryFaerie
01-14-2021, 10:33 AM
zapd0s those waves are so dreamy. I am super impressed you only used four colors!

Stardust I so love all that pink and the tiny cute cherry blossoms

TsUNaMy WaVe I love your color pallet and those cute little stars

Lapis, mega LOLs at the this is fine recreation. I can easily see my chonking dragon wandering around in there worried that he keeps accidentally setting things in his home on fire.

Nyanobyte thank you for posting the larger image! Those tiny blue mushrooms are so fking cute

Aero, I already had a cow over your Great Wave. That's probably one of my favorite paintings of all time.

Hall I love bees and anything bee related. They're so cute and chubby and buzzy. Recreating that pattern was a very cool idea!

Stardew wow, just wow. Thank you for including the 300% images! I'm interested in practing 8bit art now and seeing things blown up like that is really helpful to learn techniques.

I am obviously a sucker for anything cute and tiny and would be a terrible judge for these entries. I can't believe we have another two weeks for more submissions!

GreyFaerie
01-14-2021, 12:33 PM
Well... I did more than one drawing so now I don't decide on one. While I think what to do with my life, I share this
I was testing how the backgrounds I was making would look like and I tried yours too
They are all so beautiful that I couldn't resist

[Only registered and activated users can see links] zapd0s [Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links] Stardust [Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links] TsUNaMy WaVe

[Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links]

[Only registered and activated users can see links] Lapis [Only registered and activated users can see links] Nyanobyte

[Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links]

LibraryFaerie [Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links] Aero [Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links] Hall

[Only registered and activated users can see links] [Only registered and activated users can see links] Stardew

EDIT: I did all with the kitten because it was what I had. If you want I can edit yours with your own ryu.

LibraryFaerie
01-14-2021, 12:47 PM
GreyFaerie - you are an angel among us, oh my goodness this is incredible :sorrow: Last night I was having a little giggle at my lil' rainbow mixed in with these gorgeous art pieces, but I'm not gonna lie, it looks pretty f'in cute with that kitty walking back and forth! (:modestly patting self on back:)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GreyFaerie again. (I am a fangirl)

Stardew
01-14-2021, 12:53 PM
Well... I did more than one drawing so now I don't decide on one. While I think what to do with my life, I share this
I was testing how the backgrounds I was making would look like and I tried yours too
They are all so beautiful that I couldn't resist

Wo[Only registered and activated users can see links] these all look so good!! It really helps seeing them in action like that :)

I definitely think my Starry Night one needs an edit to be more visible but I did anticipate that... I really like how the On Cloud Nine one looks as well, it looks better than I could've imagined :O

Nyanobyte
01-14-2021, 01:00 PM
GreyFaerie - you are an angel among us, oh my goodness this is incredible :sorrow:

I can't say it better than this. GreyFaerie these are so thoughtful and lovely, thank you for putting these together and sharing them!
Love getting to see everyones entries like this in live action! Every single one of them are ones I wish we could have!

Alister
01-14-2021, 01:00 PM
GreyFaerie you're always the MVP omg. I've been a little worried that mine would be too dark to show a Ryu properly and the fact that you've done some background tests is so helpful. I will definitely be asking for your help for a mockup of mine once it's ready to go.

I ran the WIP of mine past a couple friends asking if they recognized what it's supposed to be. Two of the three got it right without any hints, the other wasn't as familiar with the source it's based on and said she totally sees it once I gave a hint. So I'm feeling encouraged :) I had LOADS of fun working on it yesterday. I love doing pixel art but used no proper techniques at all. Dithering, I didn't even know that was a thing. I'm so excited to do more pixel stuff after this contest. It's all over for you bitches now (bitches being my Neopets who still don't have art drawn of them yet lol)

GreyFaerie
01-14-2021, 02:30 PM
LibraryFaerie You will make me blush hahah Your scene is very very cute with the small ryus, like the kitten. Look more adorable ♥

Stardew Yes, you were right, but I didn't want to edit someone else's art. Mainly because I hadn't asked permission to make the bars, that was already my first mistake. Lighting it without your consent seemed disrespectful. Anyway all three scenes are AMAZING you are really talented. My eyes do not reach me to appreciate them!

Alister Of course! My messages are open. When you are ready we get to work.
I'm ready to animate as many user bars as necessary hahah

Hall
01-14-2021, 02:44 PM
GreyFaerie So awesome to see the Ryu moving around in the backgrounds! It's so much better then I could've hoped for.

LibraryFaerie Fuzzy friends are good, and maybee our Ryu want a friend or two of their own as well!

Stardew I love puns and word play, I get so many giggles. You have so many sweet references in your reply I love it.

Stardew
01-14-2021, 03:13 PM
Stardew Yes, you were right, but I didn't want to edit someone else's art. Mainly because I hadn't asked permission to make the bars, that was already my first mistake. Lighting it without your consent seemed disrespectful. Anyway all three scenes are AMAZING you are really talented. My eyes do not reach me to appreciate them!

Thank you that's so sweet! :$ If you do want to try lighting it up a bit just so what we can see what it looks like, you have my permission! ^_^

I hope you post your submission soon!

TsUNaMy WaVe
01-14-2021, 05:48 PM
GreyFaerie amazing job on those cute animations!!!
I think all current backgrounds have that small grid on, I kinda counted on that so mine will be "lighter" (since the grid is kinda white?) but maybe it won't solve the issue lmao

Lapis
01-14-2021, 06:51 PM
whoa that's so awesome GreyFaerie <3 thanks for letting me see my scene in action

Stardust
01-14-2021, 07:30 PM
Now that I have time, I wanna go through and talk about each of you guys' entries so far!! Because you all are seriously so talented! I really love all of your bgs and want them all ;v; And I'm super excited to see what else gets submitted
TsUNaMy WaVe I really love the color theme of the light pink + dark blue! The little desert stars are so cute, and you did a great job on the shading of the sand! I'm not familiar with that anime or scene, but I love yours regardless!!

Lapis I laughed so much at your entry, because honestly it's such a mood XD But I love how you stylized the fire, and that little mug on the table is perfect!

Nyanobyte Ohh such a pretty forest! There's a bunch of hiking trails near where I live, but one in particular I love because it just feels so magical- there's so much moss and mushrooms, and always seems to be green even in winter months. And I get the same vibes from your entry as I do when I go hiking on that trail, so you def portrayed that mystical feeling well! And i love all the soft colors and greens!

LibraryFaerie Ahh such a gorgeous rainbow!! Simple but very pretty, and that makes for a good ryu bg!

Aero This is amazing!! So detailed, those waves look great! And I love how it matches zapd0s entry, like yours is the waves and zapd0s's is underneath those waves :P

Hall Yaas let's make all the bee puns! XD I love this, it's so cute and I absolutely love the honeycomb pattern. (I also love bees, but I get that others might not so probably better to leave them out)

Stardew Ooh another famous painting! And one of my favorites too. Your entry so beautiful!! Looks just like the painting! And your blossom and cloud bgs are super pretty, I just love the colors in them!!

And also GreyFaerie you are amazing for animating all these wonderful scenes!! It's so cool to see them all in action! :)

kittyray
01-15-2021, 03:45 PM
This isn't a real submission because it is very much not in the spirit of the rules, even if not expressly forbidden, just figured it would be a fun thing for us. Plus I have no idea how it would integrate to the actual Ryu ecosystem.

[Only registered and activated users can see links] lear_cache

so what's so cool about that?

check this out

known bugs:

that image and the one below will not actually update live (or even particularly regularly) until I fix some things because currently i have to do it manually by downloading and reuploading from glitch
with that sometimes the static url doesn't work the way i want it to (so please check out the site!)
the 256-color palette limit currently only works on a by-user basis, not globally
but i realized with testing that with no eye drop tool, limiting is tedious and this will at the very least reduce frustration

I want to figure out how to automate saving the canvas locally and re-uploading it to the static URL or more ideally find a way to save there directly instead of to a temporary file directly in glitch, but I gotta read through some support threads more.

I want to add an eyedropper tool sooner than later.

I have no idea how this is going to handle more than two concurrent users because so far I have not had more than two concurrent users.

Please feel free to go buckwild, right now there's sort of an established color theme, but do what you want, i welcome chaos if that's the direction this goes in, but also feel free to stick with the theme because it is pretty.

credit where credit is due

I made this originally from an example project for p5js + Glitch, but I changed a lot and I now can't find the original for the life of me.
I heavily followed The Coding Train tutorial/lesson on node and websockets. (link ([Only registered and activated users can see links]))
I referenced a couple of projects that did similar shared-canvas/pixel art tutorials to help fill in some blanks and makes things run better, especially this project, pixel-collab ([Only registered and activated users can see links]).
I owe an extra thanks to somebody who went in and fixed a bunch of my dependencies and some best-practice stuff after I ran into an error I couldn't figure out for the life of me early on with getting sockets.io to work.
Thank you Fabulous for hosting which was the spark and letting me bounce thoughts off you and then being the first tester and super Koto for finding a workaround for the static URL issue.

big version

[Only registered and activated users can see links] r_cache

okay this is entirely too much text for something that was gonna be "hahaha, this won't work with the rules but what if..."

[edit] still seem to have some cache issues with the image, but i'm trying to learn even though I should be working heh

Fabulous
01-15-2021, 04:06 PM
kitty u already know how much i love this but like, this is combining those old school collaborative art spaces � la paintchat plus pixel art in a way that makes me SO HAPPY

i'm on it right now watching someone actually draw something (meanwhile i petered out halfway through 'fab wuz here') i am so excited to keep checking back on this!

ur a wizard kitty

Koto
01-15-2021, 04:13 PM
kitty MVP over here!!! I had a lot of fun making that frog, and seeing everyone drawing on it is too much fun <3

GreyFaerie
01-15-2021, 04:13 PM
kittyray don't you get tired of being A GENIUS?
When I find out how to draw on it, I don't know what will happen to my life lol

Mario2302
01-15-2021, 04:18 PM
it's amazing kitty, i can't do art's for sure but i made an ugly addition to this team effort :p for all of you to find out which :cool-new:

kittyray
01-15-2021, 04:27 PM
it's amazing kitty, i can't do art's for sure but i made an ugly addition to this team effort :p for all of you to find out which :cool-new:

nobody's addition is ugly! i love and appreciate every pixel going on this thing ;-;

Thank you for enjoying it and participating!

Stardew
01-15-2021, 04:32 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to kittyray again.

nooo I wanted to rep you for this!! it's amazing and I had a lot of fun making my jumino

I have no idea how you did it but I love it! :)

GreyFaerie
01-15-2021, 04:40 PM
I can't make it work ; _;

kittyray
01-15-2021, 04:43 PM
Oh, no GreyFaerie I'm not sure what could be wrong, could you DM some info about your browser/device? I had to start some stuff for work, but I should be able to look more closely into it later tonight. Sorry you're having trouble!

kittyray
01-15-2021, 07:37 PM
Oh, no GreyFaerie I'm not sure what could be wrong, could you DM some info about your browser/device? I had to start some stuff for work, but I should be able to look more closely into it later tonight. Sorry you're having trouble!

GreyFaerie follow up, are you on mobile
using Tapatalk? Just discovered that when loading the page within Tapatalk you can�t interact (ditto similar previews like discord), but if you click to open in your browser it works.

GreyFaerie
01-15-2021, 08:12 PM
GreyFaerie follow up, are you on mobile
using Tapatalk? Just discovered that when loading the page within Tapatalk you can�t interact (ditto similar previews like discord), but if you click to open in your browser it works.

oh sorry I didn't send you the data. no, I don't use Tapatalk. In fact I tried from the PC and from the mobile, both from Google Chrome. I don't understand if I should download an app or register or something. It lets me select the color but I don't know how to draw.

kittyray
01-15-2021, 08:37 PM
oh sorry I didn't send you the data. no, I don't use Tapatalk. In fact I tried from the PC and from the mobile, both from Google Chrome. I don't understand if I should download an app or register or something. It lets me select the color but I don't know how to draw.

You should be able to just click to place a pixel, no need to download or install anything! Not sure what could be happening. Maybe an adblocker or something? Ill try to look into it when back at laptop.

Digipoop
01-15-2021, 09:19 PM
kittyray this is so awesome, I want to check it out *__*

kittyray
01-15-2021, 10:46 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to kittyray again.

nooo I wanted to rep you for this!! it's amazing and I had a lot of fun making my jumino

I have no idea how you did it but I love it! :)

Just saw this one!

If you're actually curious, the video series I linked explains a lot about how this particular project works and probably definitely better than I can. It's definitely geared towards people who have a sense of what they're doing already, but it might prove insightful and idk you're background so maybe you've got what you need. If you're seriously wanting to learn more, The Coding Train also has a lot of videos for complete beginners with no coding experience in the context of creative coding. I haven't personally checked them out but the quality of the other videos is great: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Anyway, thank you, I'm really glad you're enjoying it.

Ariealle
01-15-2021, 10:51 PM
Thank you to Fabulous for getting this contest going. It was very fun to participate in. I still have no idea if it's right but I tried to use a palette and then strayed a bit and tried to match the colours but one colour just... my fists are clenched. wouldn't work at all and maybe should have left it out but the overall look zoomed out was pretty good to me. If you want to know what it looked like when I made it, my night light was on at 75% strength. I didn't realize until after what I did and was like.... maybe people don't have blue light filter on. When I turned it off to check, it looked like the mushrooms were glowing. When I have more brain I will make note to comment on the lovely bars as I had to stare at them for a while to tell myself to not do those idea. Everything was coming up skies and bubbles.
kittyray that little creator is super fun to play around in. I didn't realize at first it was shared! You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to kittyray again.

Beth77
01-16-2021, 09:16 AM
kittyray Amazing. You are so creative! I haven't done pixel art, so I tried my hand on yours and did a ladybug. That was a great way for me to try it. Thank you so much for sharing.

Zapdos
01-17-2021, 03:01 AM
Alister I LOVE LOVE LOVE your Sonic zone inspired BG!!! :o_o: I would love to see more of these!

Speaking of, I'd love a Chao-like Ryu... :rolleyes:

(Did I say love enough times?)

Alister
01-17-2021, 04:05 PM
Alister I LOVE LOVE LOVE your Sonic zone inspired BG!!! :o_o: I would love to see more of these!

Speaking of, I'd love a Chao-like Ryu... :rolleyes:

(Did I say love enough times?)

ahhhh I'm so happy you like it! And that you can tell what it's supposed to be lol. It was a blast to make, I even dusted off Sonic 2 to get in the spirit of it. Mystic Cave Zone is my favorite so I want to do that one for sure, and maybe Marble or Hilltop. These little 8 bit drawings are addictive

Ariealle
01-17-2021, 07:12 PM
Ok, made some time to comment as I've been bursting to for a while. sorry for taking so long. :(

zapd0s your bar had me holding my breath and wishing I were somewhere warm and in a blue sea. Would hope an aquatic Ryu to accompany it. ;)

Stardust I feel like I could sit and watch this from my window right at the peak of the evening as the sun glows in the sky. its very sweet.

TsUNaMy WaVe that's a really nice scene you created and the reference pics make me feel so heartbroken. Especially knowing Hikari was stuck there all that time. :( The colours are really nice together.

Lapis had to do a double take because it looked exactly like the pic. It's great honestly.

Nyanobyte your Forgotten Forest really makes me want to get lost in there. I think it's so beautiful.

LibraryFaerie anything with rainbows are perfection in my books. Your clouds are so sweet and fluffy too.

Aero what?? Couldn't believe was pixel art. Anything with water has my heart and this is an exquisite piece.

Hall we love the bee movie here! Could only imagine what it'd look like with some bees too. It's very easy on the eyes, a nice golden honey colour. Lovely work!

Stardew I know I've already commented, but another shout out to your for piece(s). They're all very nice and captivating.

GreyFaerie this is giving me video game racecar vibes, just cruising in the night. The colours are so juicy together.

Alister so much detail! Certainly any Ryu'd be happy as heck to live in such a cool space. Super nice job.

kittyray
01-19-2021, 02:26 PM
Another thing that isn't a real entry. Figured pixel art is great for cellular automata stuff and have been playing around with that. Couldn't find a rule I liked, but it's pretty fun to just scroll through all 256 (which duplicated for some reason), and I like the whole better than any individual one, so sharing because why not? except possibly that it's annoying

heads up very long image

fun fact, I seeded it with "ryugotchi RYUGOTCHI" in binary (framed by 0s) for the first row instead of randomizing it or just doing the center.

Will I ever make a real entry to post on the submission thread? Jury's still out, but I'm having fun trying different shit. Everybody is making such good shit, I feel like I can't compete!

LibraryFaerie
01-19-2021, 02:40 PM
So many more awesome entries over the weekend! I love every single one of them and while I normally like being the decision maker, I do not envy the person in charge of this one.

kittyray, you never cease to amaze. I can't wait to dive into that collab!

GreyFaerie I LOVE that color pallet. Wow. It puts me in the mood to tie dye something in those colors. And I'm already envisioning how awesome that'll look next to the "chill" userbar.

Ariealle DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR. You are my hero for making this reference. I love those mushrooms, and the glow effect is really really cool.

Alister at first when I read your proposed unlocking method I thought, wtf? I've only been offline for a few days, what did I miss? Then the spring shooter piece registered and I realized it was a Sonic background. So. bad. ass. It looks amazing.

valora I love those pretty shades of blue! Good call on flipping the planet. I also like your unlocking mechanism - challenging because it's a short window, but obtainable.

Danny Phantom I am a sucker for all things pink! The bridge element is so pretty and detailed. I imagine doing those lines was a delicate process. Very nice!

Mario2302
01-19-2021, 02:42 PM
Another thing that isn't a real entry. Figured pixel art is great for cellular automata stuff and have been playing around with that. Couldn't find a rule I liked, but it's pretty fun to just scroll through all 256 (which duplicated for some reason), and I like the whole better than any individual one, so sharing because why not? except possibly that it's annoying

heads up very long image

fun fact, I seeded it with "ryugotchi RYUGOTCHI" in binary (framed by 0s) for the first row instead of randomizing it or just doing the center.

Will I ever make a real entry to post on the submission thread? Jury's still out, but I'm having fun trying different shit. Everybody is making such good shit, I feel like I can't compete!

make it into a gif and you'd have one special userbar for sure :o

kittyray
01-19-2021, 02:57 PM
make it into a gif and you'd have one special userbar for sure :o

Thanks!
Oh, dang, if animations were allowed for this, a 2D cellular automata would be hella cool, but I'm also Conway's Game Of Life ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) Trash, so I might be biased.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

@LibraryFaerie Thank you so much! I can't wait to see what you make. It's been really fun watching different things get added.

Mario2302
01-19-2021, 04:06 PM
perhaps you could make it anyway to combine with an updates avatar image whenever you decide to update that ;)

GreyFaerie
01-19-2021, 05:12 PM
I'm so excited because there are more and more submissions all SO awesome. and there are still 15 days left!

Fabulous
01-19-2021, 05:40 PM
I'm so excited because there are more and more submissions all SO awesome. and there are still 15 days left!

meanwhile, the judges

Stardew
01-19-2021, 05:54 PM
meanwhile, the judges

"and the winning one will be added as a Ryu background"
Best of luck to the judges.

kittyray
01-19-2021, 06:08 PM
"and the winning one will be added as a Ryu background"
Best of luck to the judges.

maybe they'll pull an emoji contest

Due to the unprecedented amount of participation in this contest, we have decided to add the emojis of the TOP THREE WINNERS to the site and to Discord!

Danny Phantom
01-19-2021, 10:29 PM
I'm really happy you guys enjoyed my entry! It was my first try at pixel art, I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

maybe they'll pull an emoji contest

Honestly I'm really wondering how the judges are going to get this one figured out, all the entries are so awesome! The creativity and talent here on cK never cease to amaze me. I absolutely n e e d all of them for Poltergeist. :o_o:

valora
01-20-2021, 04:38 AM
Loving all of the submissions so far!! I keep looking through the thread and being amazed by how detailed they all are, I have no idea how the judges are going to pick a winner

valora I love those pretty shades of blue! Good call on flipping the planet. I also like your unlocking mechanism - challenging because it's a short window, but obtainable.!
Thank you! It originally had a darker background but it wouldn't work with the Ryus so I thought why not go for blue :P

Goddammit
01-20-2021, 06:53 AM
Holy hell, you guys are all so talented that I can't actually pick a favorite one.

Lmao good luck judges!

Da Plushee Boree
01-20-2021, 09:29 AM
I'm so in love with EVERY ENTRY! Please make them all!!!! D:

Stardew
01-25-2021, 06:12 PM
Just went back to admire everyone's entries, they'd seriously all be great additions

I wonder if there's going to be any more entries before the deadline, there's a few days left after all.

Double.Trouble
01-25-2021, 06:14 PM
I definitely wanna make one, but I've been really busy these past couple weeks. Should be done with what I need to get done with today, though.

Digipoop
01-25-2021, 06:23 PM
Omg, it's almost the end of the month and I forgot about this!

Will have an entry for sure and I really love the ones we have now too :)

kittyray
01-25-2021, 06:39 PM
Just went back to admire everyone's entries, they'd seriously all be great additions

I wonder if there's going to be any more entries before the deadline, there's a few days left after all.

I've been working with a few different ideas, but none of them are executed greatly and I keep getting annoyed. Almost wish I could just pitch my ideas to people and have somebody better at pixel art take over! I will probably end up submitting something, but I know I'm getting down to the wire. But part of me feels like there are already SO many good ones, which isn't totally like me, but whatever.

Stardew
01-25-2021, 06:53 PM
I've been working with a few different ideas, but none of them are executed greatly and I keep getting annoyed. Almost wish I could just pitch my ideas to people and have somebody better at pixel art take over! I will probably end up submitting something, but I know I'm getting down to the wire. But part of me feels like there are already SO many good ones, which isn't totally like me, but whatever.

If collaborative efforts were allowed I'd totally help you flesh out some ideas Kitty! Like spruce up some existing ones you started?

Either that, or I could edit the collaborative pixel art piece to be a bit more finished and give it a background and stuff so you can enter it

Fabulous what's the jury on this one? Are either of these ideas allowed? I obviously don't want to stretch the rules but hope that at least that last one would be okay!

Edit: also, alternatively, Kitty, feel free to DM/PM me if you need any pixel advice or help!

kittyray
01-25-2021, 07:02 PM
If collaborative efforts were allowed I'd totally help you flesh out some ideas Kitty! Like spruce up some existing ones you started?

Either that, or I could edit the collaborative pixel art piece to be a bit more finished and give it a background and stuff so you can enter it

Fabulous what's the jury on this one? Are either of these ideas allowed? I obviously don't want to stretch the rules but hope that at least that last one would be okay!

Edit: also, alternatively, Kitty, feel free to DM/PM me if you need any pixel advice or help!

Aww, I really appreciate the offer, but think that's too far from the rules. It was mostly just a wishful musing. I'll keep trying a bit, but also might go back to my original idea of doing something generative, stick to what I know more!

Stardew
01-25-2021, 07:07 PM
Aww, I really appreciate the offer, but think that's too far from the rules. It was mostly just a wishful musing. I'll keep trying a bit, but also might go back to my original idea of doing something generative, stick to what I know more!

Alright! Still, let me know if you need any advice on the more artsy side of this stuff, I've been doing pixel art for a few years and would probably be able to help!

The generative stuff is really cool for sure, I bet one of those pattern backgrounds would be awesome.

Alister
01-25-2021, 07:21 PM
I keep stalking the submissions thread hoping to see more entries, I definitely hope everyone that hasn't posted one yet adds to the thread :) I love getting to see everyone's work.

This contest got me working on a second 8 bit Sonic zone to use for a new avatar. Tiny pixel scenes have become my new addiction

kittyray
01-25-2021, 07:31 PM
Alright! Still, let me know if you need any advice on the more artsy side of this stuff, I've been doing pixel art for a few years and would probably be able to help!

The generative stuff is really cool for sure, I bet one of those pattern backgrounds would be awesome.

I just...am not very good at translating my ideas to visuals via things like drawing/painting anyway, so the pixel limitation is just a bit much. I keep trying to like pixelate photos of things I'm thinking to use as a guideline, but it doesn't really translate. �\_(ツ)_/�

Stardew
01-26-2021, 04:59 AM
I just...am not very good at translating my ideas to visuals via things like drawing/painting anyway, so the pixel limitation is just a bit much. I keep trying to like pixelate photos of things I'm thinking to use as a guideline, but it doesn't really translate. �\_(ツ)_/�

Yeah it's really tough to translate photos into pixel art! I think referencing cartoony styles often works better, because they also have limited color palettes and not the depth of color that'd be in a picture.

Good luck Kitty! I'm sure whatever you decide to enter will be lovely! :)

Fabulous
01-26-2021, 07:56 AM
Friendly reminder: one week left to submit!

Beth77
01-26-2021, 10:06 AM
I have an idea for one, went to make it but I am lost on what is 8 bit color and am afraid of not doing it right. I use a free program but it doesn't have an 8 bit color selector. :(

Alister
01-26-2021, 10:20 AM
I have an idea for one, went to make it but I am lost on what is 8 bit color and am afraid of not doing it right. I use a free program but it doesn't have an 8 bit color selector. :(

After chatting with some of the members who walked me through what 8 bit means, I ended up just using the palette that Fabulous linked here ([Only registered and activated users can see links]). Sticking to using just the colors here keeps it to 8 bit.

Beth77
01-26-2021, 02:09 PM
After chatting with some of the members who walked me through what 8 bit means, I ended up just using the palette that Fabulous linked here ([Only registered and activated users can see links]). Sticking to using just the colors here keeps it to 8 bit.

I saw that but my issue is not knowing what the hex codes are. I can choose close to those colors but they might not be exact and that is where I don't know if they will end up being 8 bit or not.
I use paint.net and unfortunately there is no 8 bit plugin ( I looked for hours).

Alister
01-26-2021, 02:11 PM
I saw that but my issue is not knowing what the hex codes are. I can choose close to those colors but they might not be exact and that is where I don't know if they will end up being 8 bit or not.
I use paint.net and unfortunately there is no 8 bit plugin ( I looked for hours).

ahhh I see what you mean. Does this site help? [Only registered and activated users can see links]
It's the one I use to upload images of my Neopets and find the hex codes to use for their lookups. It lets you upload images and then use a dropper tool to see the hex code for any color you select from the image.

Beth77
01-26-2021, 02:56 PM
ahhh I see what you mean. Does this site help? [Only registered and activated users can see links]
It's the one I use to upload images of my Neopets and find the hex codes to use for their lookups. It lets you upload images and then use a dropper tool to see the hex code for any color you select from the image.

Yesssssssss!!
That works. Thank you so much!!!!

Thanks for adding to this user's reputation!
You rock!

kittyray
01-26-2021, 03:52 PM
time to spam a bunch of my scrapped designs

i had one idea that i wasn't ever really sure how to execute so don't have an example of, but I love the idea of a scene that looks like you're looking at something under a microscope!

At first I was thinking patterns, lots and lots of patterns. Some of these I posted earlier in the thread when I encouraged people to check out generative art options, so sorry for some repetition (heh).

This included trying to do some simple weaving patterns like houndstooth.

And then there was the cellular automata route � this sentence is a link to the image with all 256 rules.
([Only registered and activated users can see links])

The next two I guess still fall under generative, but wasn't really pattern-making. I thought about trying to use data to inform the design, so I used the sum of the value of character codes for each word in the Tamagotchi wikipedia article to determine the hue of each square I drew, and then offset them to be more visually interesting than just squares.

I also found myself inspired by the slit scan effect in 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I did some math backwards and didn't really want to follow up because I decided that it wouldn't translate well between size and static image.

and idk there were some other things that were either too little of my own work before i stopped it to feel honest sharing, or too much of my IRL work before altering enough to share.

Nyanobyte
01-26-2021, 04:05 PM

i had one idea that i wasn't ever really sure how to execute so don't have an example of, but I love the idea of a scene that looks like you're looking at something under a microscope!

At first I was thinking patterns, lots and lots of patterns. Some of these I posted earlier in the thread when I encouraged people to check out generative art options, so sorry for some repetition (heh).

And then there was the cellular automata route – this sentence is a link to the image with all 256 rules.

The next two I guess still fall under generative, but wasn't really pattern-making. I thought about trying to use data to inform the design, so I used the sum of the value of character codes for each word in the Tamagotchi wikipedia article to determine the hue of each square I drew, and then offset them to be more visually interesting than just squares.

I also found myself inspired by the slit scan effect in 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I did some math backwards and didn't really want to follow up because I decided that it wouldn't translate well between size and static image.

and idk there were some other things that were either too little of my own work before i stopped it to feel honest sharing, or too much of my IRL work before altering enough to share.

I don't know what Houndstooth is, but that one looks like a holographic pokemon card and its amazing :o_o:
Generative art is such a unique way to go about creating these! ^^

Googled Houndstooth and its a pattern! Totally seen it before but didn't know it had a name!

RealisticError
01-26-2021, 05:52 PM
y'all have made some absolutely amazing submissions, I wish I was this good at pixel art. Excited to see which one makes it through!

Stardew
01-26-2021, 06:37 PM

And then there was the cellular automata route � this sentence is a link to the image with all 256 rules.

Yoo these are super cool! Agreed about the houndstooth one looking like some sort of holographic card, it's awesome and I would love to have a ryu background like that. It's like an epic pride flag but different and I approve! 🌈

Also your final entry is very good as well! I love that you figured out a way to program the dithering for the background instead of doing it by hand. Also I think the flower placement is good, no problems there!

Very creative solution all in all! The collaborative piece definitely deserves an honorable mention too cause I feel like we all had a lot of fun with that.

kittyray
01-26-2021, 06:46 PM
The collaborative piece definitely deserves an honorable mention too cause I feel like we all had a lot of fun with that.

Okay thank you for saying that (and everything) because I am just so tickled by the results and that everybody was just making space and filling in the gaps instead of erasing and it reminds me of like sticker books or toy machine display windows, and I really like the idea of that as a BG, but I might be biased. (pssst, there's still space if anybody has been holding back ([Only registered and activated users can see links]))

motherfucker
01-27-2021, 05:12 PM
WTF Everyone's entries are so good.
I honestly cannot pick a favorite.
PUT THEM ALL IN.

kittyray
01-30-2021, 09:24 AM
Not that it really matters because I already submitted, but wondering as an observer, does "February 2nd at midnight" mean closer to Feb 2nd at 11:59 PM or Feb 2nd at 12:01 AM?

Charmander
01-30-2021, 10:31 AM
Uhg I still need to work on mine. I just haven't had the time :(

kittyray
01-30-2021, 11:39 AM
Uhg I still need to work on mine. I just haven't had the time :(

Hope you're able to squeeze some time out, would love to see what you make?

Zapdos
01-31-2021, 11:18 PM
Digipoop
I love love love your entry!!! Perfect visualisation of vaporwave!

Digipoop
01-31-2021, 11:31 PM
Digipoop
I love love love your entry!!! Perfect visualisation of vaporwave!

Thank you so much T__T I spent a few days on it, reading about dithering and other pixel stuff, turned out to be not as complicated as I thought it would be. Originally the pink bits were yellow, then I decided to change them up for a soft pink - so happy I did, looks much better!

The turquoise was also changed to a softer hue.

I love vaporwave, especially mallsoft - very happy I got to make a Ryu scene inspired by it! Some things are definitely a bit wonky, especially the columns and their shading but overall I'm satisfied with how it turned out. I wanted to add some palms and maybe a cassette tape but then I thought it might be a bit too busy.

Zapdos
01-31-2021, 11:47 PM
Thank you so much T__T I spent a few days on it, reading about dithering and other pixel stuff, turned out to be not as complicated as I thought it would be. Originally the pink bits were yellow, then I decided to change them up for a soft pink - so happy I did, looks much better!

The turquoise was also changed to a softer hue.

I love vaporwave, especially mallsoft - very happy I got to make a Ryu scene inspired by it! Some things are definitely a bit wonky, especially the columns and their shading but overall I'm satisfied with how it turned out. I wanted to add some palms and maybe a cassette tape but then I thought it might be a bit too busy.

You could always make a second vaporwave inspired one with palms/mallsoft features!
Hopefully Bat will bless us with another competition in future :rolleyes:

Fabulous
02-02-2021, 09:41 AM
Friendly reminder: contest closes at midnight NST!

(don't ask me how it's already February 2nd, i don't know either)

the newest entries are so?? nice??? and will further complicate the judges lives, rip

motherfucker
02-02-2021, 10:28 AM
Fab, Bat, I'd like all of them available for unlock tomorrow.
Thanks.

LibraryFaerie
02-02-2021, 12:09 PM
Oooo I've finally had a chance to look through all the recent entries and - no shocker - they're all amazing.

kittyray - I love the darker color scheme of your design. It's different from what most of us put together! And those little pink flowers are so cute and the perfect pop of color on top of the dark blue. I think it looks perfect but I absolutely would've also overanalyzed the hell out of the placements of everything if I was in your shoes.

Mario2302 - this is perfect and so on brand and VERY CLEARLY a Mario Bros scene. You did awesome!!!! I recognized the reference instantly, it looks awesome. Not a failure in any way. I love it so much. It's giving me so many nostalgia vibes.

Digipoop - just gorgeous. Those pastels are everything. I like that you used the live colorfully font in your post, that userbar + your vaporwave userbar would make my dreamy pastel cupcake userbar stack vision come true!

Beth77 - so. cute. I love the hot air balloons! And I can really appreciate the time you took to give each balloon it's own individual color scheme and design. I too am way too scared to ride in a hot air balloon, but maybe one day! There is a hot air balloon fest about an hour out from where I live and it's always so magical watching them all light up and take off.

Mario2302
02-02-2021, 12:21 PM
LibraryFaerie: Thank you so much :o i'm finding i've misplaced some pixels still but somehow i thought it was ending that same evening and i didn't have more time at the time :p still i'm not unhappy about my own creation for once so that's a win right there :D

Digipoop
02-02-2021, 01:01 PM
LibraryFaerie Aw, thank you for your wonderful comments! I'm kind of proud of how it turned out, I keep staring at it *__*

Koto
02-02-2021, 01:01 PM
Holy noodles, I can't believe how incredible all these entries are?! I would like 12 of each please!!!

@Aero ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) - holy CRAP, my dude this is absolutely incredible! 12/10, pure artistry

@Hall ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) - I love bees, so this entry really made my heart soar. I especially love your proposed unlocking mechanism!

@kittyray ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) - I absolutely love all the things that you've made/shared with us for this, and your entry is so wonderful! I love how your lotuses almost seem to have a shine inside of them!

@Mario2302 ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) - this really hit me with nostalgia! I love the colours you used and the amount of detail you added <3

@Digipoop ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) - I SWOONED at your entry!!!! The colours! The details! For some reason it reminded me of the way that Charn is described in the Magician's Nephew!

Digipoop
02-02-2021, 01:10 PM
Koto Thank you T__T Now that you mention, it does remind me of Charn too!! I think that's pretty much how I imagined it when I was reading that part initially, maybe without the pink hues and more grey, haha. Like an early-morning kind of grey

Bat
02-02-2021, 01:18 PM
I definitely agree with Michael. I want pretty much every one of these scenes to get added. They're so amazing! I had no idea that there were so many talented artists hiding out in this community ♥

Koto
02-02-2021, 01:38 PM
@Koto ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) Thank you T__T Now that you mention, it does remind me of Charn too!! I think that's pretty much how I imagined it when I was reading that part initially, maybe without the pink hues and more grey, haha. Like an early-morning kind of grey

Yes! I remember it described as being bathed in the glow of a dying sun, so I sort of imagined everything is kind of grey and red at the same time? But honesty, just fantastic work on your entry! I'm so excited to see Bat implement all of these :rolleyes:

Mario2302
02-02-2021, 01:42 PM
:$ thanks so much Koto :redface-new:

Digipoop
02-02-2021, 01:47 PM
Yes! I remember it described as being bathed in the glow of a dying sun, so I sort of imagined everything is kind of grey and red at the same time? But honesty, just fantastic work on your entry! I'm so excited to see Bat implement all of these :rolleyes:

There are SO MANY AWESOME ONES if ever we get more than the one that wins I would be SO HAPPY

(I can't imagine how hard it is to choose among the entries)

LibraryFaerie
02-02-2021, 01:50 PM
LibraryFaerie: Thank you so much :o i'm finding i've misplaced some pixels still but somehow i thought it was ending that same evening and i didn't have more time at the time :p still i'm not unhappy about my own creation for once so that's a win right there :D

SO TRUE. We are always our own worst critics.

Danny Phantom
02-02-2021, 02:46 PM
Thank you so much, Koto ! Honestly I'm hoping that every entry gets added eventually, there are so many talented people around here and I n e e d all of those. :o_o:

Hall
02-02-2021, 03:03 PM
Koto MORE BEES! Also I just want more puns all around the forum. :D

Beth77
02-02-2021, 03:45 PM
LibraryFaerie - thank you for the lovely compliment. There is a yearly balloon fest about 20 minutes away that I try to go to yearly. The colors and designs are fascinating to me.
My inspiration for this came from my grandparents. My grandfather bought a balloon ride for my grandmother on their 40th anniversary as a surprise. The entire family was at the field when she was brought in. It was and always be an amazing memory for me.

Koto - thank you so much. I agree the dragon looks like he is flying through the air.

All I am going to say is Good luck Bat on deciding. I agree with Michael - all would be awesome!

kittyray
02-02-2021, 03:49 PM
I've kind of said it a few times, but also agree that I hope we get more than one. Even if not right away! I'm gonna go through and fangirl about them all soon, but will wait for submissions to officially in case we get any last-minute entrants!

Hall
02-02-2021, 04:05 PM
Beth77 I love your Balloons! Reminds me of the yearly event here! One of my favorite things is waking up in the morning and watching them float around. :3

Erik.
02-02-2021, 04:23 PM
Hey guys just wanted to say I love everyone's submissions sooooo much! You're all very dedicated cause I tried to make one for 3 nights and it looked like shit so I didn't submit :P
I secretly hope more than 1 gets to be a real landscape :O

Beth77
02-02-2021, 05:28 PM
Beth77 I love your Balloons! Reminds me of the yearly event here! One of my favorite things is waking up in the morning and watching them float around. :3

Thank you. If I wasn't scared shitless, I would take a ride. I can only imagine what it feels like to float freely through the air and to see the landscape from that view, it has to be incredible.

LibraryFaerie
02-02-2021, 06:10 PM
My inspiration for this came from my grandparents. My grandfather bought a balloon ride for my grandmother on their 40th anniversary as a surprise. The entire family was at the field when she was brought in. It was and always be an amazing memory for me.

Oh wow, I am actually tearing up picturing this. How romantic! What a lovely story, thank you for sharing!

edit to add - Erik. this is probably one of the most supportive groups on the web. i say you just post one of the backgrounds you've been working on, and sit back and let us compliment you!!!!

Nyanobyte
02-03-2021, 10:33 AM
I know at the beginning of this I tagged a few of you, so apologies if I’ve gotten you twice! I wanted to wait until this ended to go back and acknowledge everyones scenes!

zapd0s , I still can’t get over how realistic and amazing yours look! As the first scene entered in this, the bar was set high!

Stardust Such a lovely aesthetic and idea! I really love the branch off to the left and the blossoms floating across the scene. It gives off such a peaceful vibe.

TsUNaMy WaVe I love the shading of the sand and how much depth it gives this! For a small bar it really feels like a vast desert scene!

Lapis This scene is the embodiment of 2020-2021, and its done so perfectly. Its hard to believe this is your first time with pixel art, the level of detail is amazing!

LibraryFaerie Your entry is so lovely! You’ve fit an entire rainbow into that bar, not an easy feat, and the little clouds are such a nice touch!

Aero This looks EXACTLY like the piece its based off of, and its badass! Love your entry so much, super well done!

Hall Your scene is SO enjoyable! I love the honeycomb pattern and that we have to make a pun in order to unlock. Super creative ^^

Stardew Your entry as well as the ones that 'didn’t make the cut' are all just so detailed and gorgeous!

GreyFaerie Vapor City is a place id love to live, the aesthetic is so cool! The dithering (I think that’s the word) on the sunset is so well done!

Ariealle Your unlocking method is so creative, and a good challenge fitting of your scenes name! I really enjoy the faint glow some of the mushrooms give off and the overall vibe of your entry!

Alister Ahh! This has me so nostalgic right now. (Sonic 2 is hands down the best one) Your scene is SO detailed and honestly I wouldn’t have been able to tell it apart from the game if I hadn’t known it was a scene! So well done!

valora Your scene is so wonderful, it feels like were about to get lost in a nebula! The shading in the sky is gorgeous, I can imagine the little stars twinkling away! Lovely entry!

kittyray All of your entry ideas have been so unique, and Amongst The Lotuses is no different! The shading of the water is a really cool touch, I feel like im waiting to see a Koi Fish swim out from under one of the Lotuses at any moment!

Mario2302 Oh my gosh, I love the title! ‘Its a-Me’ is perfect! Love this scene so much, it takes me right back to some fond childhood memories. Well done! ^^

Digipoop So much a e s t h e t i c ! The columns and bust are spot on, I can’t believe you only used SIX colors?! SO impressive!

Beth77 Your entry is so light hearted and whimsical! The details on the balloons is so lovely and well done! I really enjoy your entry ^^

It is SO hard not to just sit and gush over all of these. Everyone has created an amazing entry, and every one of them is one I'd love to see my Ryu be able to use! The creativity here never ceases to amaze me. ♥

kittyray
02-03-2021, 10:45 AM
The thread isn't locked, but we're definitely passed the deadline so I'm doing this!

zapd0s
You really started things off great here. It�s so good and I love the idea of an underwater scene!

Stardust
Cherry blossoms are so beautiful and I love how you captured them. That soft pink, love it.

TsUNaMy WaVe
Yours is so fun, loving the pink/blue combo and even if you claim not to be an artist, I like it!

Lapis
Can I just say what a fucking mood? A+

Nyanobyte
I just really love the vibe of this, exploring there seems like it�d be so much fun and particularly love the aide of green you used for the background.

LibraryFaerie
Gimme all the rainbows, thank you.

@Aero
Holy shit, I�m so impressed with your ability to capture The Great Wave so well. Damn!

Hall
I love honeycomb patterns so I�m all for this one. Plus I like the idea of more patterned backgrounds overall.

Stardew
Another really great capture of real-world art. I also have to say I�m in loooove with your ink/purple cloud one. I hope you can reuse it for something.

@GreyFaerie
Love this aesthetic, love the colors, love the concept. Plus you made a moving Ryu bar to go with it!

@Ariealle
I�m sooo glad you ended up going with the purple, it looks so nice. I love how glow-y you were able to make it! Plus mushrooms are cute.

@Alister
Holy details, hard to believe that�s only 3,160 pixels, which I guess sounds like a lot, but seriously color me impressed.

valora
This one is really fun, I love the idea of a Ryu being in space and I love the way you did the background!

@Danny Phantom
Love how you were able to do both a repeated pattern while still representing a place for our Ryu to be. Plus the color palette!

kittyray
I should really cut back on the self-deprecation so I�m just gonna say A+ 10/10 perfect colors you�re a star.

Mario2302
Very on brand and love the idea of our Ryu being in a video game level!

@Digipoop
Holy shit impressed with how much depth you were able to capture in so little space. You really captures the vaporware mall feel and the colors are to die for.

@Beth77
Yours is so fun. I�ve always wanted to go up in a balloon ride, but have never had the chance, but I�ve seen a swarm of them a couple times and it�s always so cool, love how you captured it!

at-everyone
I just really love this and am proud of it and love how everybody just carved out a little corner. Thanks for indulging in my project. I know it�s not a real entry, but I�m proud of it and love y�all.

Mario2302
02-03-2021, 11:39 AM
at-everyone
I just really love this and am proud of it and love how everybody just carved out a little corner. Thanks for indulging in my project. I know it�s not a real entry, but I�m proud of it and love y�all.

And thank you for that great project!
After my initial little carve out (the weird little green moth that is) it was this very project that was my first test in actually making the BG i made (jep that upper right corner was obviously me again :p)

Fabulous
02-03-2021, 11:52 AM
at-everyone

why is this the cutest little doodley thing ever? love this little piece of history / signatures (of a sort) of those who were around for this contest. thank you again for making it possible, kitty, i know i've yelled at you a lot about how much i adored this concept and i still do *heartglow*

just scrolling through the submission thread and honestly floored at the talent, creativity, and skills on display. any one of these would make a perfect ryu backdrop. and yes, the deadline has come and gone - and so now we await judgement. can't wait to see what emerges from the mod squad's challenging deliberations. godspeed

Anybody
02-03-2021, 01:26 PM
These submissions are fantastic! Good job to all, I’d love to have any as a background!
I started work on a submission myself, but got discouraged and didn’t submit. I think my mistake was jumping into pixel style and a tiny canvas without doing a rough sketchy version to determine colours/placement first. I’ll look forward to future contests ;)

Koto
02-03-2021, 01:38 PM
at-everyone
I just really love this and am proud of it and love how everybody just carved out a little corner. Thanks for indulging in my project. I know it’s not a real entry, but I’m proud of it and love y’all.

Thank you so much for creating this project kitty! I honestly had the best time mucking around in here and it turned out into such a cute little pixel mural, I love it!

Beth77
02-03-2021, 03:06 PM
at-everyone
I absolutely loved the project you created. I was able to pixel around and made the ladybug, so it helped me with my entry. Thank you so much for creating it.
I would love to see it as a collective bonus scene!

Erik.
02-03-2021, 03:19 PM
Oh wow, I am actually tearing up picturing this. How romantic! What a lovely story, thank you for sharing!

edit to add - Erik. this is probably one of the most supportive groups on the web. i say you just post one of the backgrounds you've been working on, and sit back and let us compliment you!!!!

Aww thank you! But I didn't save anything. I tried making a little cabin in a forest with a tiny lake :) If CK ever hosts another competition I'll try it again! ^^

GreyFaerie
02-05-2021, 03:26 PM
I feel like a thousand years have passed since the contest started! But since we are past the deadline, I am going to share the other drawings that I did.
I'm ashamed to admit how many hours I spent making them but I was sorry that this was left in a dark corner of imgur. I was tempted to post them all together but was afraid of discouraging someone if they saw that their idea was done.

This was my first attempt at pixel art. It was good, unfortunately I made it big first with the intention of making it smaller later. haha nope. It does not work like that.

Pixel art reminded me of the games of my childhood but It was OBVIOUS that if Mario2302 participated he was going to do a scene from the game. And I thought about him a little while drawing. Luckily I didn't post it because he did a much better job taking advantage of the space! His work is much better.

kittyray
02-05-2021, 03:36 PM
GreyFaerie

Wow, love those, especially the colors of the first version of the city one, thanks for sharing those!

Mario2302
02-05-2021, 03:56 PM
I feel like a thousand years have passed since the contest started! But since we are past the deadline, I am going to share the other drawings that I did.
I'm ashamed to admit how many hours I spent making them but I was sorry that this was left in a dark corner of imgur. I was tempted to post them all together but was afraid of discouraging someone if they saw that their idea was done.

This was my first attempt at pixel art. It was good, unfortunately I made it big first with the intention of making it smaller later. haha nope. It does not work like that.

Pixel art reminded me of the games of my childhood but It was OBVIOUS that if Mario2302 participated he was going to do a scene from the game. And I thought about him a little while drawing. Luckily I didn't post it because he did a much better job taking advantage of the space! His work is much better.

*lol* euhm nope your scene is much better :o i tried to do the piranha plant but i just couldn't get it to work and you did it so nicely :o :D

great work for sure!!!!

Digipoop
02-05-2021, 04:03 PM

Oooooh I love these, especially the city scenes *__* It's like the kitty-ryu is walking along a rooftop with the city behind them

kittyray
02-05-2021, 06:34 PM
I keep scrolling through the thread and looking at them all. I love them.

Fabulous
02-07-2021, 04:33 PM
GreyFaerie how dare u make me want this so much

:disturbed: *pines*

GreyFaerie
02-08-2021, 03:26 AM
Hahaha maybe I'm regretting not submitting that scene? maybe

LibraryFaerie
02-08-2021, 12:59 PM

Is that a... library!? I love it and am mildly ashamed that thought never even crossed my mind!

A lot of these scenes remind me of the old game SimTower. I was obsessed with it in grade school. For anyone not familiar - the premise is basically to build the biggest tower you can, made of tiny 8bit-like rooms.

Goddammit
02-09-2021, 06:13 AM
You guys are all so damned talented ;-;