PDA

View Full Version : clraik Rank

j03
09-22-2020, 06:19 PM
Everyone,

The clraik rank requirements have been updated.

Before, the requirement was 6 days registered + 50 posts OR 25 reputation points.

Now, the requirement is 6 days registered + 50 posts + 25 reputation points.

Just a reminder - everyone starts with 10 reputation points.

This was being considered for a while now. Recent events have made us pull the trigger and make the change, and with that, everyone that was clraik rank without 25 reputation points is back to newbie.

I'd like to point out a few things here:

- The reputation system is very alive and flowing within the community, the most ever in the last year.

- We've been dealing with way too many people spamming their way to the clraik rank.

- There are too many perks that come with the clraik rank (restricted forum and program/script access being the main ones).

This change should be for the betterment of our community - we hope everyone is understanding!

We will have a much more detailed announcement in regards to this change in the near future! Stay tuned ~

- cK Staff

paris hilton
09-22-2020, 06:24 PM
Thank you for this clarification as we spoke about this last night through PM.

Is there a way to check how much REP we currently have?

Thanks,
PH

Goten
09-22-2020, 06:25 PM

Thanks,
PH

Bottom left on your post. You have 9 rep.

Allegra
09-22-2020, 06:27 PM
Bottom left on your post. You have 9 rep.

That's your rep power, linked to how much you can give out (based on time registered and total rep).
To view your total rep points, go into your settings :) It will come up with something like this:
Latest Reputation Received (xxx point(s) total)

Goten
09-22-2020, 06:28 PM
That's your rep power, linked to how much you can give out (based on time registered and total rep).
To view your total rep points, go into your settings :) It will come up with something like this:
Latest Reputation Received (xxx point(s) total)

Ahhhhhhh, i guess i deserve the newbie downrank. xD Thanks

j03
09-22-2020, 06:39 PM

Thanks,
PH

Adding to Allegra's post, you can only see your count/reputation comments from others when you actually get repped. Without being repped, that block would be empty.

Again, if you haven't been repped yet then you'll be at 10 rep points.

Jeongyeon
09-22-2020, 06:51 PM
Can't be bothered to get rep :p

I'll just buy vip when needed

Guil
09-22-2020, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the update! Makes sense to me, this will add more protection for loyal users who use the CK+ Neopets forum for more tricky stuff

Extraterrestrial
09-22-2020, 07:33 PM
I totally support this change and feel it will help make our community a safer place. Thanks for the update j03 ! :D

One question I had (that may be addressed in the announcement)- does rep given in the UYS thread now count as neutral by default instead of positive or negative?
I noticed a recent change where any rep I gave/received in this thread shows a grey icon instead of the standard green one for +rep.

BubbleBass
09-22-2020, 07:35 PM
I have a noob question- how do I see my current Rep level?

Bat
09-22-2020, 07:37 PM
If you've received any +rep from other users, it would be visible on your settings page ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), BubbleBass. If you don't have any +rep from other users, then you're currently sitting at 10 points by default.

MadameNova
09-22-2020, 07:43 PM
These points should be given whenever you've provided a useful guide, program or script...

HA! There's no polite way to say this, but if I was able to hack, crack and program, I wouldn't need this site.

"Program or pay up" seems like an unfair requirement for your members, but your house, your rules.

Mama Bear
09-22-2020, 07:48 PM
HA! There's no polite way to say this, but if I was able to hack, crack and program, I wouldn't need this site.

[/COLOR]"Program or pay up" seems like an unfair requirement for your members, but your house, your rules.

But you can't...so you do. Or you could play legitimately. Honestly, no one is holding a gun to your head to stay or pay. There are a multitude of different ways to earn rep and, as has been mentioned, it has been flowing more than ever this past year.

TsUNaMy WaVe
09-22-2020, 07:49 PM

[/COLOR]"Program or pay up" seems like an unfair requirement for your members, but your house, your rules.

Those two are definitely not the only ways to gain rep. I have around ~40 pts rep, and I didn't create any program or guide.
Being helpful in general, or participate in the community activities is also a way to earn rep from people who will appreciate what you do.

Thanks for the update, j0! I think it's a great way to further keep our community safe.

PrettySarcastic
09-22-2020, 07:53 PM

But you can't...so you do. Or you could play legitimately. Honestly, no one is holding a gun to your head to stay or pay. There are a multitude of different ways to earn rep and, as has been mentioned, it has been flowing more than ever this past year.

Those two are definitely not the only ways to gain rep. I have around ~40 pts rep, and I didn't create any program or guide.
Being helpful in general, or participate in the community activities is also a way to earn rep from people who will appreciate what you do.
Thanks for the update, j0! I think it's a great way to further keep our community safe.

Precisely as Mama Bear and TsUNaMy WaVe said.

There are many other ways to gain rep.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

I've never written a full guide or programmed anything in my life, and I've made it to oCK.

Perhaps if you were more interested in engaging with the community, the community would engage with you? :)

Flordibel
09-22-2020, 08:09 PM

We're all going to be glamorous, repped cKers soon!!

jojobloggs
09-22-2020, 08:10 PM
Precisely as Mama Bear and TsUNaMy WaVe said.

There are many other ways to gain rep.

I've never written a full guide or programmed anything in my life, and I've made it to oCK.

Perhaps if you were more interested in engaging with the community, the community would engage with you? :)

I agree with the above. It's not super easy to earn rep.... For obvious reasons. For me, personally, I'm gonna have to figure out a new way to contribute, as I typically contributed through the mystery pic chat. But I'll get there eventually. At least having these requirements in place, minimizes the newb accounts farmed simply for access or abusive intentions. I appreciate the update.

Skellington
09-22-2020, 08:12 PM
well....this sucks. :/

but i guess i understand the need.

so if you are now returned to newbie rank you won't be able to access scripts or restricted forumns?

considering some people that join just to get at people, i definitely agree something needs to be done.

i just don't like the color blue :P

Unown
09-22-2020, 08:12 PM
As someone who's already passed the cK mark and is part of the community, I'd like to say that I support this change because it protects me as a community member. (This may sound a little elitist, but I'm sure anyone part of any community would love a little protection as it incentivizes them and makes them feel cared for)

However, on the other end of the spectrum, I remember when I was searching around for bots, programs and scripts for neo and found this place. Getting to cK rank was indeed an extreme chore and a lot of my posts as a newbie were seen to be spam (and I even got two warnings) even though I felt what I was writing was contributing.

I can understand that many newer members are coming in here for the perks and resources of this thriving, amazing and helpful community and for those who want things instant - there's always VIP for that (and at only <$5 USD, it's a steal tbh). I, too, came for the resources, but ended up staying for the community.

And for those who do not wish to spend money, what I want to say is, yes, it takes a lot more time and a loooooot more effort to get another 15 reps in comparison to just 50 posts, and it might take long depending on on how much you contribute, but do remember that when you actually hit the cK mark, you will also have the same protection. Other programs elsewhere don't have the same amount of updates and maintenance that the ones on cK have. It also means that your main account (s) on neo will be protected as long as you follow the guides and use them right.

MadameNova
09-22-2020, 08:15 PM

But I digress:

Offer news and updates to any of our various forums; create an exceptionally engaging topic of discussion: it would have to be pretty spectacular news and I'd have to get there before several hundred members on this site.
Provide support for programs and scripts created by other members: I can't code, so I can't provide support.
Amend or update a guide created by other members: (*looks at the guide page*) Can't provide anything new there.
Code, design or draw something for another member: I have no coding or artistic skills.
Lend any commodity to trustworthy member(s): I don't have any of those

MAYBE, if I'm super lucky: price-check a commodity for another member, help another member with a problem, create a new auto-buyer list

When last I engaged with the community, I made a stupid decision, got banned and now the member in question won't stop talking about it three years later.

And now that I've admitted that I've been banned from here before, I'm probably going to be rebanned, so the problem of rep is going to be moot.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

well....this sucks. :/

but i guess i understand the need.

so if you are now returned to newbie rank you won't be able to access scripts or restricted forumns?

Yup. No rank, no glory.

I told Tampermonkey to update and had to delete nineteen scripts because they no longer work due to the restriction. (I'm surprised I didn't lose them all.)

Skellington
09-22-2020, 08:20 PM
i'm feeling exceptionally lazy nowadays so i just bought vip LOL

Extraterrestrial
09-22-2020, 08:26 PM
MadameNova I totally understand your frustration as someone who also has zero skill in programming, coding, drawing, etc. I've also never written a guide or a program, and I've picked up most of my rep points by screencapping threads.
I also got quite a bit by participating in the last ck event- Defenders of Clraik- and helping out my team. Of course, this requires an event to be going on, but the last one was so well loved and having so many participants led to everyone +repping each other a good amount on the various rounds as we helped each other out!

You mentioned that you couldn't contribute towards the guides as there are, of course, a good amount of them. But perhaps you could make a guide on the same topic with a different tactic than the other user's guide, for example?
With staff now posting updates offsite on places such as the neopets Discord, that also leaves a pretty good space for news updates to share. I notice I rarely see screencaps from the neopets Discord, so there is definitely a hole there in terms of getting info to this community.
Taking a quick look at the Neopets Services subforum, I don't see any pet/item avatar lending service thread; if you have the NP for something like FQD, Meowclops, or shells to lend avatar pets/petpets for free to trusted members, I am sure that would be a handy way to pick up +rep, too!

I hope this helps so you don't feel discouraged- this community is genuinely a great place in my (very subjective ofc!) experience. :)

Abyss
09-22-2020, 08:29 PM
I was wondering why I lost my rank haha.
That's alright, it's more than fair enough!

MadameNova
09-22-2020, 08:38 PM
Taking a quick look at the Neopets Services subforum, I don't see any pet/item avatar lending service thread; if you have the NP for something like FQD, Meowclops, or shells to lend avatar pets/petpets for free to trusted members, I am sure that would be a handy way to pick up +rep, too!

Oh, butterflies! That would be great, except I was just frozen again and lost almost thirty million that I could start that with. :(

Mods, would providing shells for that violate the rules of "shells must be abandoned for 180+ days" if they're not being sold? Otherwise, I could definitely provide that part if someone wanted to run the program with me.

Mama Bear
09-22-2020, 08:48 PM
Oh, butterflies! That would be great, except I was just frozen again and lost almost thirty million that I could start that with. :(

Mods, would providing shells for that violate the rules of "shells must be abandoned for 180+ days" if they're not being sold? Otherwise, I could definitely provide that part if someone wanted to run the program with me.

We don't allow the selling or giving away of active accounts. Thank you for checking first.

Extraterrestrial
09-22-2020, 08:52 PM
I don't know if the accounts would have to be sold or given away necessarily-- maybe just having a shell (that the loaner uses) for holding the pets and transferring them out to the lendee would work for a service like this?
I say "shell" but I guess what I really meant was an aged account for the transfer count. :)

Hopefully something can be worked out, though! I think it'd be super useful, especially because people are building up new accounts fairly often, and raising av count is a great way to do that.

I_royalty_I
09-22-2020, 08:56 PM
With this reset - let me pose this idea.

Everyone is saying how difficult it is to get rep - but when is the last time you gave somebody else rep? Spread the wealth. If you see somebody making good, thoughtful posts, give them some +rep. It doesn�t have to be a lot. But you can change the game by spreading rep where you see nice effort :)

Mama Bear
09-22-2020, 08:59 PM

Everyone is saying how difficult it is to get rep - but when is the last time you gave somebody else rep? Spread the wealth. If you see somebody making good, thoughtful posts, give them some +rep. It doesn’t have to be a lot. But you can change the game by spreading rep where you see nice effort :)

Excellent point. Having a look at the rep given by some of the squeakiest wheels in this matter was certainly enlightening.

Crow
09-22-2020, 09:01 PM
I guess this makes sense though I feel like there are many of us who like being in this community but don't have a lot to offer other people.

Abyss
09-22-2020, 09:05 PM
I've gotten rep despite mostly participating on the "Who/What grinds your gear" thread. I think being a respectful, participating active member goes a long ways that someone will notice when you least expect it.

Mama Bear
09-22-2020, 09:10 PM
The General Discussion and Real Life Situations threads can be good places for this as well. If you're making meaningful contributions that are well reasoned and respectful, that gets noticed. If it seems like a half-assed post count/rep grab, then people will recognise it for just that. But I'll often +rep people who I notice making intelligent input around the place.

My name is Yoshikage Kira
09-22-2020, 09:11 PM
I've gotten rep despite mostly participating on the "Who/What grinds your gear" thread. I think being a respectful, participating active member goes a long ways that someone will notice when you least expect it.

Agreed!
Posting there is where I've gotten some rep from
There is a ton of potential in making guides. Guides don't always have to be neopets related, there are other discussion sections out there. You never know what someone is going to appreciate you making a guide for.

Painwheel
09-22-2020, 09:11 PM
That's why I enjoy CK. It made myself a better person. I went here with the purpose of using programs, scripts and other kind of tools, but I ended up staying because of the community. The guides here are awesome and made me achieve things that I wouldn't imagine to reach, like Plushie Tycoon guide from Unown. Because all this stuff, I went to help other persons with their needs when I can and that's an awesome thing, because I'm helping someone!

The rep thing is important. It values your participation in the community. And even if you don't want or are shy, you can pay VIP, that will also help the community. After all, most of the communities has hierarchy and this one isn't different. Everyone can reach a higher hierarchy, it's just about being active without spamming and helping our mates. Surely someone will REP+ you one day. And as many said before, REP+ people that helps you, they'll be happy and further can REP+ you back if you do something good.

That's the purpose of a community: engage and help each other!

BubbleBass
09-22-2020, 09:18 PM
This at least showed me I need to be Rep-ing more. I'm quick to hit the Thanks button but always forget that Rep exists. If anyone's worried about not getting enough, maybe we should look out for one another and remember to actually use it? Or it could just be me who always forgets about it and I'm talking to myself. :P

Guil
09-22-2020, 09:26 PM
case in point, i just repped some people on this thread who i have seen around and have been having good convos on the neopets users that get under your skin thread. enjoy people!

i think theres a large group of people who a lot of thier clraik time is that thread, if we all just award people who are contributing, even with good screens/PSAs/general posts on that thread it can help everyone!

corazon
09-22-2020, 09:28 PM
I will admit, although I am disappointed, as I will be among those who will go back to newbie rank... I do appreciate the safety measures this will provide to all of us as a community. I guess I will just have to earn my way back to rank. I’m kinda bummed I didn’t take advantage of some of the perks beforehand. I kept putting it off. Haha. That’ll teach me and my professional procrastination skills.

BubbleBass
09-22-2020, 09:28 PM
case in point, i just repped some people on this thread who i have seen around and have been having good convos on the neopets users that get under your skin thread. enjoy people!

i think theres a large group of people who a lot of thier clraik time is that thread, if we all just award people who are contributing, even with good screens/PSAs/general posts on that thread it can help everyone!

Absolutely. I spend a lot of time there enjoying the bullshitting and memes and just forget Rep is a thing. You'll be seeing a lot more of it from me.

MadameNova
09-22-2020, 09:29 PM
No, you're not (talking to yourself).

I've had problems with it in the past and I think I have to turn off my adblocker or something to use it, so I stopped thinking about it.

Plus, confession time: when I did two reps for two different people and got auto-directed to the repping rules the next time I logged in, I thought it was because I was repping incorrectly and quietly being scolded. :(

Unown
09-22-2020, 09:44 PM
Offer news and updates to any of our various forums; create an exceptionally engaging topic of discussion: it would have to be pretty spectacular news and I'd have to get there before several hundred members on this site.
I've put up news that I've found on other sources of information (Facebook/Discord/Boards) which weren't huge main-page news and they've received rep before from people who found the information useful. And not everyone on our forums posts news.
Provide support for programs and scripts created by other members: I can't code, so I can't provide support.
Neither can I. But people have gotten reps before for testing/making suggestions for new scripts etc. It's all about if what you have done has contributed or helped someone.
Amend or update a guide created by other members: (*looks at the guide page*) Can't provide anything new there.
To be very frank this is just untrue. If you put in the effort to search for content not covered yet on ck and for the amount of content you can talk about on neo, this is just untrue. My guides didn't just come up because I'm good in those things - but I took the time to research on the certain topic, compile information and thereafter share this information with the members here.
Code, design or draw something for another member: I have no coding or artistic skills.
Neither do I, and have not tried in this so I can't comment.
Lend any commodity to trustworthy member(s): I don't have any of those
Neither do I, and have not tried before so I won't comment.

All the reasons that you've made are pretty much just excuses for being lazy to me. I created my account in March, and by June/July I had hit ocK and now I'm 5 rep points away from tcK (250 reps) because I've put in the effort to search the forums and look for various things that have not been covered so I can research on them and cover them through guides.

Let me just put it this way, I still have around 8 ideas for guides and content regarding neo that have not been covered on the forums as of yet. I haven't had the time to get around to writing those guides, but there are still ideas and opportunities out there if you actually take the time to look for it.

MAYBE, if I'm super lucky: price-check a commodity for another member, help another member with a problem, create a new auto-buyer list

When last I engaged with the community, I made a stupid decision, got banned and now the member in question won't stop talking about it three years later.

And now that I've admitted that I've been banned from here before, I'm probably going to be rebanned, so the problem of rep is going to be moot.

If you've rectified the problem for getting banned in the past, I don't believe you're going to be banned again (unless of course, what you did deserves a permanent ban.

That being said, contribute to the community because you want to. Because if you're contributing just for the reps, you're going to feel bad and get stressed up when you don't get reps. If you're really that hard up for the rank just to access programs/scripts, then shell up the $5. A month's subscription is cheaper than a meal at a restaurant.

I'd just like to say a few things with regards to your points above.

Points in red italics made by me.

Da Plushee Boree
09-22-2020, 10:05 PM
The thing is to be a contribution to the forum and help protecting it, my paranoid ass has been watching a lot of new users that can't even reply their own "hi" board, but 100% trust that Joe and our mods are doing their best to make the comunity secured. And it feels. I love it here and respect the mods :love_heart:

I don't have code skills either, and barely take the time myself to draw a thing, but i know i can contribute. News don't need to be about neo, but about everything while in the correct topic and if i'm helpfull enough i could be +repped. I don't need to code to test programs and find important bugs or conditionant for them to work properly. Probably i would never write a guide unless it is for arts, but maybe it is fun/engagin enough. I mean, there's a wonderful guide about sammiches over there...
The thing is to participate... I mean.. I was full lurking from outside until a couple events ago (specially it hurt when i didn't get the 1mil ub and was online), then i got that mania of click in the 'new posts' link and see where can i help? what can i say to make this better? who can i welcome? etc.

This is for the wellness of our comunity so i think it's for the better... Without CK, Neo could be the most lonely place on earth for some of us..

I was so surprised i didn't rank down, thank you and kisses to all :sorrow:

hissi
09-22-2020, 11:39 PM
this made me realize i had more rep than i thought, i also thought it was my rep power lol :O i understand the reasoning (looking forward to the detailed post tho!) but i know it must hurt to lose privileges you previously had so i'll start looking for ways to spread rep as well!

Nexus
09-23-2020, 01:21 AM
Ah, I see, please disregard my PMs, admins lol.

Mookse
09-23-2020, 02:32 AM
I was so excited that I finally reached the green bar!

Totally understand though... I’m just sad I can’t see the reasons people have been banned now. :o_o:

vulkren
09-23-2020, 08:58 AM
That's fair. I've been using Joe's and Bat's scripts/programs for free but you definitely deserve to get paid for the effort.

Bat
09-23-2020, 09:10 AM
We appreciate the sentiment, vulkren, but this change wasn't made with the intent to paywall our stuff. The rest of our ranks require community feedback to earn, by way of receiving +rep for making contributions to discussions, education, entertainment, or player experiences. clraik rank required 50 posts from an account that was at least 6 days old. It required zero community approval to obtain a rank that unlocks the vast majority of our perks, as well as sensitive topics of discussion. This has proven time and again to be a problem for us, and for the safety and confidentiality of our users, so we've realigned clraik rank to require a small amount of community favour in return for incentives.

LibraryFaerie
09-23-2020, 09:13 AM
Ahh this makes sense why I couldn't access the score sender anymore. Seems fair to me! I just checked my rep and it's not enough, but it's higher than I would've guessed. I lurk way more than I post here and I don't know shit about coding so it's definitely possible to earn some with a little effort :)

Bat
09-23-2020, 09:19 AM
The vast majority of our higher-ranking users got a lot of their +rep simply by socializing in meaningful ways. It's the worst-kept secret to +repping in our community. If you're making friends and engaging others, then +rep steadily trickles in. There are about 5 coders, 3-4 guide makers and 2-3 news reporters who frequently contribute to the forums, but we have thousands of users that are clraik rank and above. The numbers speak for themselves: community favour is easy to get if you make a little effort to participate.

vulkren
09-23-2020, 09:52 AM
We appreciate the sentiment, vulkren, but this change wasn't made with the intent to paywall our stuff. The rest of our ranks require community feedback to earn, by way of receiving +rep for making contributions to discussions, education, entertainment, or player experiences. clraik rank required 50 posts from an account that was at least 6 days old. It required zero community approval to obtain a rank that unlocks the vast majority of our perks, as well as sensitive topics of discussion. This has proven time and again to be a problem for us, and for the safety and confidentiality of our users, so we've realigned clraik rank to require a small amount of community favour in return for incentives.

I understand it is it make the community better and safer, but personally I'm not much of a people person, when I do feel comfortable socialising its not something worth giving rep for. The scripts/programs is what kept me around so it would make more sense to benefit the people who made it rather than the community, even if it wasn't your intention. I know it sounds bad lol, Im just useless with the social side of things.

Musical
09-23-2020, 09:55 AM
I think this is a very fair change, clraik+ was just too easy to get and this change definitely does make the title more deserving and make our community overall safer.

Although I got demoted, I think it probably isn't that difficult to get 15 reputation points (considering that we start with 10 points).

motherfucker
09-23-2020, 10:05 AM
I believe that given the significant amount of content available to CK+ members, this was long overdue.

Lots of work has been put into so many facets over the past few months, and the privilege of use definitely needs to be earned.

IMO, a very welcomed update.

Let me just throw this in here:
You have given the maximum amount of reputation for today.

Lots of the information and posts flying around in this thread also deserve rep. Provide help and information and guidance. Stick around, join the community, don't leach.

I can say that I don't see eye to eye here with everyone, and I've been in arguments in the past, but CK is still a community I'm proud to be a part of.

I_royalty_I
09-23-2020, 10:08 AM
I don�t see it as a bad thing. It can be motivation for some people to engage in the forums more. It takes a lot of effort for people to provide the resources available to the community. 15 rep isn�t really that bad at all. There�s always the option to buy VIP if you feel like you can�t contribute in other ways. There are other advantages to being even higher than clraik rank - but you�ve got to jump up in rank to see those :P

Most people here aren�t going to chastise you or be rude if you try to get active and get to know the community. The more the merrier. I know we have always tried to foster a community vibe so don�t be afraid to join conversations and get involved.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

I was so excited that I finally reached the green bar!

Totally understand though... I�m just sad I can�t see the reasons people have been banned now. :o_o:

Could you see them before? I thought the banlist got removed haha

kopiko
09-23-2020, 10:13 AM
I guess this has been a long time coming. It was rather simple to get clraik rank for all the good benefits we have here.

Everyone is saying how difficult it is to get rep - but when is the last time you gave somebody else rep? Spread the wealth. If you see somebody making good, thoughtful posts, give them some +rep. It doesn�t have to be a lot. But you can change the game by spreading rep where you see nice effort :)

I fully agree with this point. I feel that rep should not be regarded as a precious commodity in our community. It is a means of thanking someone for something that they have done/act/posted and it does not cost you to give out reps.

Perhaps one should start by spreading reps to others that they feel deserve it in one way or another. Then in doing so, one could better understand how to obtain reps in our community. And lastly understand that it really is not difficult. You do not need guides or scripts to get there.

Zer0
09-23-2020, 10:32 AM
When will these changes be live? Or are they live already? The reason why I am asking is that the post mentions that everyone starts at 10 reputation. I already had 7 reputation prior to this. So shouldn't I be at 17?

I_royalty_I
09-23-2020, 10:37 AM
When will these changes be live? Or are they live already? The reason why I am asking is that the post mentions that everyone starts at 10 reputation. I already had 7 reputation prior to this. So shouldn't I be at 17?

they are live now. You have 7 rep power but probably a different amount of rep

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

^ go there and you will see the amount of rep that you have. Rep power is kind of arbitrary now anyway since you can’t actually give the full rep that you have listed.

Saturnine
09-23-2020, 10:38 AM
This is understandable, getting the ck rank was pretty easy for all it could get you (the scripts section is the literal reason I still play this game). It's the best road to keep the community safe as well

I'd like to add that I get the initial frustation for newbie users, however. Getting involved with a brand new community can be very tough when you are new and don't really know how things work exactly and I also had this feeling of it being unachivable - kinda the reason why I am a "slow poster" and pretty much a big lurker still. I only really post if I think my opinion can be at least a little bit meaningful in any way (god knows how many threads I didn't bother replying to thinking it would be just ignored or not add anything). Also it's a nice surprise when that notification pops up even if they're far and few between and you aren't really expecting it.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, yes, the begining is kinda hard, but if you engage with the community it comes to you naturally. I don't even have many posts after 2 years (granted half this time I was away from here and neo) but managed to amass a pretty decent amount of +rep by just trying to be helpful to some ppl whenever I could.

Engage with the community and your ck+ rank you come to you, posters above me gave even better examples :)

nousha
09-23-2020, 10:58 AM
I personally think it's fair and the reasons for the change are absolutely valid. However, I've had only bad luck with rep :) I've helped a user, lending a pet for avatar, and although I'm always happy to help just for the sake of it, I was secretly hoping for a rep point, as the pet is quite rare and on top of that, very high level so there were costs for me to take it back, that I didn't mind but still if I were the borrower, I'd at least offer to cover them out of politeness (as the lender I would have refused anyway but maybe it's my culture that makes people play this funny dance of offering and refusing in order to be polite :) :) :) So I didn't even get rep but I assumed the user was quite new and didn't know about it. Then for quite a long time I've been persuaded, after reading the rules, that rep is something very valuable and not to be taken lightly so it shouldn't be used as a "thank you" for an useful post or witty remark or whatsoever, so I'm giving thanks instead. I'm still not sure I know exactly when it's bon ton to give rep instead of "thanks".
Also, I'm pretty sure I have received one or two rep points so far and I just don't see anything in the Settings page. I'm totally useless when it comes to finding info, it seems :miserable:

On a side note, I don't think the sole fact that someone isn't happy with a decision that is welcomed by the majority is a reason to make them feel they are in the wrongs. We can still act friendly towards someone who is frustrated and take time and effort to make them feel included. "It's our way or the highway" may be correct but I believe everybody could be valuable member of the community so it's worth trying to make them feel a bit more comfortable here with our posts.

Mario2302
09-23-2020, 11:03 AM
totally understand this change.

I'm not the best at earning rep-points myself but regardless of that i've been able to gather enough rep points to not revert back to newbie so I would say it's certainly possible for anyone to get there.
I don't have any skills that would warrant rep points so mostly they've come from just trying to help out where i can and that's me, a shy person that's not good at engaging with communities/people on or offline talking. :)

These days most of my rep points come from the mystery pic thread but before that i've gotten rep from other places as well (e.g. helping people with a calculus task, trying to solve whatever problem for which there's no bot/script just yet or finding a way to help those that do not have access to them).

I too might hit the thanks button a bit too often while forgetting to rep people though i try to actively think about if, i think, a contribution earns rep points.
(all easy enough when i have time but when i'm quickly going through new posts to catch up when i'm at work i tend to forget)

in each case, good luck to all on helping out the community and earning some much earned rep while doing so and let's keep this community strong!

pichi123
09-23-2020, 11:08 AM
Man I kinda feel insulted being called a newbie when i been on this site for so long, but it is understandable i guess. Now i have to see what i can do to help, unfortunately my mental health hasn't been good so it is going to be hard for me to engage actively to get my rank back

wonderrabbit
09-23-2020, 11:35 AM
thanks for the updates

SomeClown
09-23-2020, 11:48 AM
Any chance we will be upgraded back up? Or is this a new installment of achievement?

omg.UFOs
09-23-2020, 11:54 AM

I'm sorry you see it that way. These programmers put years into learning and developing programs to make your experience on Neopets a little easier. They aren't asking for a lot, $5 for over 30 days of use or gaining the rep and posts needed to rank up by helping the community seems pretty worth it.

MrSlowBro
09-23-2020, 12:13 PM
tbh kind of unfair to reset the ranks like that

SomeClown
09-23-2020, 12:20 PM
I REALLY don't see the big deal with friggin about a few hours a day, on a site you pretty regularly visit for your programs. Though, I may only use a few scripts for snowballs and such, many people are true leeches and only pay the sub fee to haphazardly fuck themselves over. I believe there SHOULD be a cost for certain levels of access...een if it means a few posts to build the site.

Babaa
09-23-2020, 12:23 PM
tbh kind of unfair to reset the ranks like that

Like multiple people have said, there are too many leechers. Not only that but... idk how comfortable I am with anyone and their mom getting in that easily.

Looking at your Rep Power, you couldn't be too far off? You've got more than me, and I'm not too far off.

Attack
09-23-2020, 12:24 PM
To motivate everyone who got demoted, I managed to get ~15 reps over the last 1-2 months without posting any guides or programs.
I'm not even active like many other users here, I'm mostly lurking around and post my opinion or something funny once or twice a week. I'm sure y'all can get to 25 reps in no time :love_heart:

Erik.
09-23-2020, 12:53 PM
Oh shit I only noticed this thread now. This sucks to be honest... I mean, I understand the idea behind it but I always love trying to solve the Mystery Pic with others and I was one of the people to suggest it should move to the cK+ board, so now I can't do that anymore. :/ Also, aren't you guys afraid people will post the quirkiest stuff just to get rep points?

Edit: Oh is rep power something different than rep total? :S

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

they are live now. You have 7 rep power but probably a different amount of rep

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

^ go there and you will see the amount of rep that you have. Rep power is kind of arbitrary now anyway since you can�t actually give the full rep that you have listed.

Ah I see now. Thanks Andrew!

Attack
09-23-2020, 01:13 PM
Erik. rep power is how much rep you can give to other users if I am not mistaken

Confession
09-23-2020, 01:17 PM
Thank you for letting us know, I was confused at first this morning.

To be honest I was a little put off at first because I have been on the site since 2014, but then I realized I buy VIP most of the time anyhow because I like using the programs/scripts you guys make and want to continue to support the site that has given me so much help over the years.

motherfucker
09-23-2020, 01:25 PM
This may be a good time to ask this question.

I'm well aware it's not my total rep. What does this apply to?
(I can't see it as total rep to reward within a certain period, or the max rep points I can give for something)

Is it applicable these days? Is the answer right in front of me and I am just too ignorant to see it?

I_royalty_I
09-23-2020, 01:28 PM

I just saw this post lol
That’s the opposite way of how to get rep....
That’s how the world works though. You can pay to get what you want or you can work for it. Honestly, 15 rep isn’t that hard to achieve.

There’s no polite way to say it - but this mindset/attitude/member mentality is probably the reason why this new change will work out well in the long run.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

This may be a good time to ask this question.

I'm well aware it's not my total rep. What does this apply to?
(I can't see it as total rep to reward within a certain period, or the max rep points I can give for something)

Is it applicable these days? Is the answer right in front of me and I am just too ignorant to see it?

Thats pretty much just an arbitrary number at this point. Amount of rep you can give is now capped according to your rank. The rep power is a product of how long you’ve been here, posts, rep (duh), and probably a few other things. You haven’t been able to give the amount of rep your rep power represents for.. almost forever now! :P

Bat
09-23-2020, 02:26 PM
Oh shit I only noticed this thread now. This sucks to be honest... I mean, I understand the idea behind it but I always love trying to solve the Mystery Pic with others and I was one of the people to suggest it should move to the cK+ board, so now I can't do that anymore. :/

The forum where the Mystery Pic thread is stickied requires clraik rank or above to access. You have 85 +rep, so you still have access.

Also, aren't you guys afraid people will post the quirkiest stuff just to get rep points?

Our rules in regards to giving +rep are deliberately open-ended so that users aren't worried about +repping inappropriately. We're trusting all of you to use your best judgment, and only +rep when it is rightfully deserved. This is a community-driven feature that is intended to demonstrate that a user has earned our incentives, but more importantly, our trust.

motherfucker
09-23-2020, 02:41 PM
If there are some members in need of inspiration for a way to get more +rep, and you generally know your way around using even the most basic of graphic programs, I have a skill you can master and use here that's been asked of me a few times. (And just something I don't care to do at this time).

DM me for more info.

It's probably not a pyramid scheme...
Dm me to find out if it's a pyramid scheme...

Mookse
09-23-2020, 03:17 PM
To motivate everyone who got demoted, I managed to get ~15 reps over the last 1-2 months without posting any guides or programs.
I'm not even active like many other users here, I'm mostly lurking around and post my opinion or something funny once or twice a week. I'm sure y'all can get to 25 reps in no time :love_heart:

But what if we�re not funny :(

(I�m joking, probably not in a funny way, but I try.)

I understand the change completely, and never considered the leeching thing- I think the only programme I�ve used came off reddit so I could put nicknames next to people�s usernames on neo. So that�s a good point.

And I_royalty_I - if you click on banned users the reasons why they were banned were on their lookup. I�ll miss reading those but I�m just nosey. :p

omg.UFOs
09-23-2020, 03:38 PM
But what if we’re not funny :(

(I’m joking, probably not in a funny way, but I try.)

I understand the change completely, and never considered the leeching thing- I think the only programme I’ve used came off reddit so I could put nicknames next to people’s usernames on neo. So that’s a good point.

And I_royalty_I - if you click on banned users the reasons why they were banned were on their lookup. I’ll miss reading those but I’m just nosey. :p

I like reading the bans too! ;P

Druid
09-23-2020, 03:43 PM
I like this update, it definitely feels safer! I don’t code or anything (or even use the programs here), all my rep so far is from thoughtful and/or funny threads or posts and I’m only a few points away. Looking forward to discussing my way back into the elite hall of illegit BC voting lol

This is also a good reminder to give out rep more regularly - I have to admit that I spent most of my time here forgetting what the little badge was (something about it tells my instincts it’s reporting posts? literal opposite) and I’ve actively looked up how to do it each time I was helped out by someone. Going to catch up on some retroactive repping!

Lolaloveloki
09-23-2020, 04:47 PM
My experience was chatting, screenshot, interacting, helping other members gave me a lot of rep in a rather small time. Of course, it takes a lot of effort and time to this site.

I love this site so much so I think it's definitely worth it.

I think this decision is fair to protect and reward the people who are actively working on CK to make it a better place. It was kind if easy to make it to ck rank for me so maybe we can collectively rep+ other people for their participation to CK for preserving our community.

Please think about it!
rep+ people who engage in the conversations and people who are helping this community.

Pond
09-23-2020, 04:51 PM
If there are some members in need of inspiration for a way to get more +rep, and you generally know your way around using even the most basic of graphic programs, I have a skill you can master and use here that's been asked of me a few times. (And just something I don't care to do at this time).

DM me for more info.

It's probably not a pyramid scheme...
Dm me to find out if it's a pyramid scheme...

I only want to get involved if it's a pyramid scheme. I've gotta make my money back somehow B)

SomeClown
09-23-2020, 06:19 PM
I only want to get involved if it's a pyramid scheme. I've gotta make my money back somehow B)

start scraping pennies together for the copper than bud lol I wish there were members that needed musical, or sound, advice. I'd be swimming in the stuff lol

jellybelly
09-23-2020, 06:24 PM
Haha I was wondering why I could only have 50 messages again and had to delete a bunch. Seems like a good move and never personally checked my points until now

Lyrichord
09-23-2020, 06:29 PM
Back to blue for me, yet, it makes the most sense. I agree its safer!

jojobloggs
09-23-2020, 06:55 PM
start scraping pennies together for the copper than bud lol I wish there were members that needed musical, or sound, advice. I'd be swimming in the stuff lol

I guess you could write a guide for rink runner..... LOL

:barbershop_quartet_

Beth77
09-23-2020, 07:02 PM
Was wondering how I was a newbie....again. Now to try and rank back up, and also put the money together to get vip, which I have been wanting to do but have yet to do....

You mods rock. I am sure it is not easy making changes and trying to figure out ways to keep things safer for us all. I appreciate what you do. Thank you!!

SomeClown
09-23-2020, 09:28 PM
I decided I will just pay the monthly $5 anyway. I can defiitely afford 5 bucks a month to support people that, not only, work their asses off to make premium content. But, I don't know how to be useful to gain rep anymore, since I don't have time to do services for others and my knowledge is, more or less, useless here.

Druid
09-24-2020, 01:53 AM
Now that I’m looking at my rep I’ve also noticed that the ones from recent UYS posts are grey and don’t count toward my total, while the rest (including older UYS posts) are green. Is that a permanent thing?

xmilo
09-24-2020, 09:14 AM
After reading through all the posts here, i agree wholeheartedly about the +repping culture here. somehow, everyone treats rep like it is something sacred and should never be given until absolutely necessary. probably given only when one comes up with a new script or program which no one has ever come up with before. personally, I treat reps as though they are super-likes vs likes - tinder reference anyone?

if someone goes out of their way just to get you something (perhaps like directing you to a forum post which contains your information), i'd consider that +rep worthy. just because someone helped me do something that i could not have done myself. comparatively, giving thanks may be something really small, maybe a post which made me chuckle or some interesting post which was interesting enough for me to read up further on the internet. i feel like there are a thousand and one ways (not literally) to contribute, from providing useful welcoming posts to newbies, to writing up guides that will help people achieve things that might be easy for you but not to them.

Congratulations to all who kept their cK rank. But I do think that all members in the cK rank should also reconsider on how we deal out these reps and not just stop giving them away just because we want to keep the ranks exclusive to ourselves. And all of us should rethink about how reps really mean to us here.

However, that being said, we should also not give them out freely as it may cause reps to lose its value. There's a fine line between spamming reps and giving reps when they are due.

Just a penny for everyone's thoughts!

Beth77
09-24-2020, 11:10 AM
I see a shiny vip banner...

Not sure who you are that gifted it, and I hope you see this message. Completely unexpected! Thank you so very much for being so thoughtful and I will have you know, you put a cheesy grin on my face. :D

I would love to know who you are so I can do something for you in return, so please inbox me. If you would rather remain anonymous, I understand and respect your decision, and will pay it forward.
Thank you again and again!

MrSlowBro
09-24-2020, 11:24 AM
still confused how to check our rep points? that link that was posted doesn't show anything

Ariealle
09-24-2020, 11:24 AM
i know this is way out there for some, but what about some game guides? like maybe not even for neo. like real ass gamefaq guides. phone apps? pc? console? yah there could be a million and one guides for it, but its not yours, and it wouldnt be ck exclusive.
or maybe writing articles? is there something you have been passionate about lately and have a lot of information you wish to share to help other people learn? is there something in school or work you are doing or learning about? for me, repetition is key to remembering.
what about YT crafts? or a cooking channel? basic or advanced levels to help out ck when they dont know what to make?
i think a lot of us sought out this sanctuary for one thing and realized it was so much more than that. i also really think there is no limit to what you can do or offer to a community.
if those things are too much or too time consuming:
maybe write a quick product or book or movie review recommending something you enjoyed?
all in all, the point of the matter is to engage. it was hard for me at first. had to remind myself that no one knows me.
is there a halloween contest someone is able to run (if that is possible?) maybe a fashion show
idk just trying to throw some more ideas into the pot

xmilo
09-24-2020, 11:36 AM
still confused how to check our rep points? that link that was posted doesn't show anything

If you click on the Settings link, you should see the Latest Reputation Received (XXX point(s) total) section. If you dont see it, it means that you have not received any reps. And so, you'll be at 10 rep points - since 10 is given to all members by default.

Screenshot of rep section:

Nyanobyte
09-24-2020, 11:36 AM

Just head to the top right of the page and click 'Settings', It should show you there!
'It should say something like Latest Reputation Received (xx point(s) total)'

Bat
09-24-2020, 11:44 AM
Thanks for clarifying that, Nyanobyte (I love your avatar, by the way)! That particular section is for when somebody leaves +rep along with an accompanying comment. If you have never received reputation before, then you will not see anything on that page.

lorie
09-24-2020, 05:22 PM
Ahhh, i guess i can see the need for all the new traffic, but i feel like maybe some older users with no issues could've been grandfathered. i understand that nobody is forcing anyone to pay 5$, but we are still in covid times lol

SomeClown
09-24-2020, 07:28 PM
Just pay the 5 bucks, ue the FC script, I always make more than 5 bucks worth on NP in a month, no "cheating" needed...

Robindoo
09-24-2020, 08:38 PM
Haha. No wonder I realize I lost access to the clraik+ board. Guess I will slowly build it back up again by being more active.

Dahotsnow
09-24-2020, 09:31 PM
Ahhh. Time to come out of my cave.

Orthrus
09-25-2020, 12:45 AM
Ooo I was wondering why I lost my userbar, but makes sense as to why it was changed.
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to future events to gain back my clraik status :3

Sneasel
09-25-2020, 03:29 AM
I like the idea of the grandfathered user.
I am member for so long now, I am a bit sad.
There is this language barrier for me + I am very shy, I don't post much, I am more of a reader...
I totally can understand the reasons behind the change, but hope you can understand my dissapointment, too.

Allegra
09-25-2020, 05:22 AM
I second what Unown said about contributing because you love contributing to a community, not for rep.

I made it to oCK last year and don't know how to code/didn't make any guides (or if I did, I don't hugely remember them). I do take time to answer people's questions about neo, I am passionate about helping people with their mental health (you'll see a lot of discussion on this over at the rl thread). If you do see it as needing to contribute to gain a rank, then of course it will feel like a chore. In which case, buying VIP is more suited to you. Nothing in life comes free and the choices of contributing to the community through payment or your voice/expertise seems fair to me, to get something you want in return.

Also want to reiterate about giving rep more often when you see fit. I know I've given rep out on the what gets under your skin board because certain users make me literally LOL - that's a positive impact on my day and deserves recognition (more than a thanks imo)

Mikal
09-25-2020, 06:38 AM
Nooo! I'm going to have to stop lurking at participate more, which I've been soo good at for soo many years!

I_royalty_I
09-25-2020, 07:28 AM

Angry angry and caught the banhammer. Silly PBMs outing people and then trying to come back and complain.

Why So Serious?
09-25-2020, 08:49 AM
That was the push I needed to be more active on the forum hehe. Thank you for clarifying everything.

Druid
09-25-2020, 01:07 PM
Also want to reiterate about giving rep more often when you see fit. I know I've given rep out on the what gets under your skin board because certain users make me literally LOL - that's a positive impact on my day and deserves recognition (more than a thanks imo)

That�s where I do the most chatting & where I�ve gotten some of my rep, but as of this month it looks like rep given and received in that thread is greyed out and doesn�t count? I tried to rep the person who brought up the sparkledog thread, as it really brightened my evening and I wouldn�t have seen it otherwise, but alas. It�s the same with the last few I�ve received in there as well. I can�t find that change addressed anywhere so I don�t know whether it�s meant to be a permanent thing, or maybe whether posts on that thread are subject to review before they�re eligible for rep or something?

..actually now that I think of it, I also submitted a post there the other day and instead of it going through I got a message like �thank you for your post, it will appear once it�s been approved by mods� which I�ve never seen before or since. The post (pretty innocuous - it was bitching about neo filters) still isn�t up, and I�ve successfully posted there and elsewhere since. That�s a bit of a tangent but anyway something is going on in there, which is a shame because I agree with you - one of my favourite parts of engaging with this community is the humour.

Alister
09-25-2020, 06:05 PM
Okay I thought I was losing my mind when I was looking at the rank guide recently and saw the change, because I could have sworn it was "either/or", not "and". Even as an actual newbie who is looking forward to being at the cK rank, I think it's a good update. When I first joined and reviewed the ranking rules, it did not escape my notice that I could in theory just go spam a bunch of topics and knock out the achievement, which felt kind of cheap.

I like the rep system a lot. I've never been on a forum that had a system like this before and am finding it to be pretty great for driving engagement. It's a pleasant surprise to be hanging out chatting and see that someone appreciated a post enough to give out some rep. I don't know how to code, am not a great artist, and haven't spotted a need for a guide that someone else hasn't already done a great job of executing but ranking up still feels totally achievable over time.

Really the whole concept of ranks and userbars in general is fun, and one of the reasons I ended up deciding to stick around as an actual member instead of just sticking around long enough to buy help with pet securement. It's also been a nice bonus that I don't feel anyone has treated me differently or with less respect than other more tenured members with loads of cool sidebars just because I'm part of the solo blue bar brigade.

Abyss
09-26-2020, 05:37 AM
That’s where I do the most chatting & where I’ve gotten some of my rep, but as of this month it looks like rep given and received in that thread is greyed out and doesn’t count?

I'm actually interested in finding out about this too? I'm guessing that thread will no longer count since it's off-topic. I'm a little sad if that's the case, but I also understand.

Botan
09-26-2020, 02:19 PM
Well that explains things heh. I'm too antisocial to actually get any rep though :hopelessness:

jojobloggs
09-26-2020, 09:15 PM
Well that explains things heh. I'm too antisocial to actually get any rep though :hopelessness:

You have 388 posts, and 1,203 thanks.... I don't think you're antisocial ;) and I'm sure with some effort, you could earn some rep. :) Feel free to chat with me anytime... I'm not the most exciting of people, but happy to socialize whenever. :)

Nattiee
09-27-2020, 07:20 PM
MadameNova I totally understand your frustration as someone who also has zero skill in programming, coding, drawing, etc. I've also never written a guide or a program, and I've picked up most of my rep points by screencapping threads.
I also got quite a bit by participating in the last ck event- Defenders of Clraik- and helping out my team. Of course, this requires an event to be going on, but the last one was so well loved and having so many participants led to everyone +repping each other a good amount on the various rounds as we helped each other out!

You mentioned that you couldn't contribute towards the guides as there are, of course, a good amount of them. But perhaps you could make a guide on the same topic with a different tactic than the other user's guide, for example?
With staff now posting updates offsite on places such as the neopets Discord, that also leaves a pretty good space for news updates to share. I notice I rarely see screencaps from the neopets Discord, so there is definitely a hole there in terms of getting info to this community.

I hope this helps so you don't feel discouraged- this community is genuinely a great place in my (very subjective ofc!) experience. :)

I want to echo this. When I first joined the community I had absolutely no intention of contributing. I wanted what I wanted and I was willing to pay for VIP for it and not have to talk to anyone (I was terrified of not being liked and I was lazy.. now I'm just lazy and only *slightly* terrified of people hating me). I'm not good at pretty much anything that most people are fantastic with on this sight. I cant contribute to programs, scripts, and I'm terrible at anything artistic.. I thought I was relatively funny/witty and then I got to know Fabulous in her glory and it confirmed NOPE I'm not.

That being said, rep isn't as difficult to accumulate as I anticipated. It just takes trying to be involved when/if you can and honestly just don't be a dick. Defenders of CK got me most of my rep (if not all of it) and like I said - I was able to get it without having the talent. I just tried my hardest to be involved and contribute where I could.

I'm not sure what exactly triggered the change, but I'm here for it. At the end of the day, the whole point of CK is that it's a community. We're trying to protect our own, and respect our own.

A great way to earn rep without coding anything is to help others with what's available! Some are more familiar than others with specific scripts and programs. If you're comfortable with how some of the programs work, try helping your peers out who have questions. Do you know why someone is encountering a problem with the way they're running a program? Do you know some of the more safer AB times?

Attack
09-27-2020, 08:53 PM
nattiee I disagree, I think you are pretty funny :rolleyes:
I always imagine a little Baby Yoda talking when you post

GreyFaerie
09-27-2020, 08:57 PM
Well I disappeared for a couple of days and I come across this thread.

I very much agree with the decision they have made and, although it's true that I didn't lose my rank, I also understand those who were disappointed in losing the Clraik rank or by those who have just arrived. When I found this forum, I just wanted the userbar for a couple of scripts/programs and then leave. I didn't have any special skills and I consider the language to be a barrier for me so socializing and earning rep was not in my plans. I didn't even think I would get any thanks.

It takes a little time to become fond of a place and it may be intimidating, but with a little care it's achieved. I have given rep for a joke and I have received it for making memes (making people laugh when we don't share their mother tongue is incredible to me). And if someone doesn't know how to make memes... Well, maybe I'll make a guide to that soon. LOL

RealisticError
09-27-2020, 09:57 PM
Great change, it rewards people who want to participate and helps keep the community tight-knit :)

Nattiee
09-27-2020, 10:27 PM
nattiee I disagree, I think you are pretty funny :rolleyes:
I always imagine a little Baby Yoda talking when you post

Woodpecker
09-28-2020, 07:44 AM
I wish we could have been grandfathered but oh well. Getting rep is extremely hard/impossible for me so you basically have to pay now. Which is okay but changes everything.

Mama Bear
09-28-2020, 08:15 AM
I wish we could have been grandfathered but oh well. Getting rep is extremely hard/impossible for me so you basically have to pay now. Which is okay but changes everything.

Why so difficult for you compared to everyone else? Please read through the previous pages for suggestions on how to get rep. It's flowing more readily than it was for a long time; it's just a matter of engaging with the community less sporadically. :)

Woodpecker
09-28-2020, 08:59 AM
Why so difficult for you compared to everyone else? Please read through the previous pages for suggestions on how to get rep. It's flowing more readily than it was for a long time; it's just a matter of engaging with the community less sporadically. :)

Because I'm not a native speaker and have social anxiety even online. But I'm not complaining I'll just pay it's ok to support the site

MrSlowBro
09-28-2020, 10:15 AM
can we still access the mystery pic thread? I seem to be blocked out even though I am vip

j03
09-28-2020, 10:39 AM
can we still access the mystery pic thread? I seem to be blocked out even though I am vip

The MPic answers aren't provided by any specific staff member. It's a group effort by the clraik+ ranked users, so it's only right to restrict this topic to the cK+ forum section.

Baelia
09-29-2020, 05:40 PM
oof .. came on to vote in the bc and can't access it,,, ironic ... i'm 3 rep points away from 25. i think? do the rep points i have in threads i can no longer access still count?

Because I'm not a native speaker and have social anxiety even online.

lol this is me 100%..

the average user doesn't really think to give rep because the thanks button is more convenient to click and move on. i wish thanks contributed to rank rather than just rep by itself. obviously a higher amount required for a threshold, but still.

like every 250 thanks = 1 rep? could that ever be a thing?

and every 25 positive feedback from unique users = 1 rep?

j03
09-29-2020, 06:34 PM
oof .. came on to vote in the bc and can't access it,,, ironic ... i'm 3 rep points away from 25. i think? do the rep points i have in threads i can no longer access still count?

We only changed the rank requirement, and demoted anyone that didn't meet these requirements. Nothing else.

lol this is me 100%..

Also you...

Come on now. :P

Baelia
09-29-2020, 06:46 PM
Also you...

Come on now. :P

yep, i'm not comfortable making guides or creating topics other than for trading. i get sweaty every time i post and quadruple check everything i say lmao. most of those thanks are from snarky comments i made on the who gets under your skin thread and most posts are just generic replies/comments built up over 3 years. i have servere social anxiety. the thread i could get rep from that didn't give me major anxiety was the bc voting thread that i'm now locked out of which i really only used to help out anyway because rank didn't matter then.

again, those are thanks, not rep, and currently thanks don't help in this situation which is why i asked about the thanks and feedback score contributing to rep/rank. it would be nice for users with mental health issues to be able to rank up without having to be a social butterfly. it's still contribution and weeds out leechers/people with ill intent for the site

j03
09-29-2020, 06:49 PM
yep, i'm not comfortable making guides, there isn't any really left to make, and i get sweaty every time i post and quadruple check everything i say lmao. most of those thanks are from snarky comments i made on the who gets under your skin thread and most posts are just generic replies/comments. i have servere social anxiety. the thread i could get rep from that didn't give me major anxiety was the bc voting thread that i'm now locked out of which i really only used to help out anyway because rank didn't matter then.

again, those are thanks, not rep, and currently thanks don't help in this situation which is why i asked about the thanks and feedback score contributing to rep/rank.

No worries... you should definitely go through this topic as many others stated the same thing, and other members outside of staff suggested plenty of ways to get rep.

I think you have it wrong - you don't need to be making guides and programs to receive rep. You never know, a simple uplifting post could garnish plenty of rep from members. Surely at least 10% of your +thanks total is worthy of receiving some kind of rep?

Blue-tooth
09-29-2020, 06:54 PM
Hi to the anti socials. :D
I'm one of you but I worked hard to reach my current rank. Most of the time you can see me updating news on the Neo chat because that's the only way I thought of giving back to this community. Before the +rep userbar was released, I've been having little to no +rep in some of my threads and that's okay because people can easily check the neo fan sites for news or just by simply visiting the news page on the neo site. I did some upgrade on my threads to make it convenient for everyone like the addition of JN & Impress links and it was received well by the regulars on the neo chat. I always wait for other members in this forum to post news updates on the neo chat before I try to make one because that would be pretty selfish of me to do the news update all the time but you know sometimes I have to post asap because infos are just piling up like the Altador Cup XV Thread ([Only registered and activated users can see links](2020)).

Anyway, what I'm just trying to say is just you could easily get +rep now and you can make guides or any news that you could share other than neo because we have other game threads too. ;)

You can also easily get +rep if you help someone like homeworks, programs or just by talking/chatting and making them happy. :)

Baelia
09-29-2020, 06:58 PM
but most people don't even think to give rep, they click the thanks button because it's easier :/ and you can't ask for rep directly or indirectly to remind them that the rep button exists. is it possible they could ever be tied in together?

My name is Yoshikage Kira
09-29-2020, 07:28 PM
but most people don't even think to give rep, they click the thanks button because it's easier :/ and you can't ask for rep directly or indirectly to remind them that the rep button exists. is it possible they could ever be tied in together?

The best thing to do is make sure you are giving rep to others. When others receive rep it's a nice reminder to make sure they are +repping other people for their contributions.

PrettySarcastic
09-29-2020, 08:12 PM
The best thing to do is make sure you are giving rep to others. When others receive rep it's a nice reminder to make sure they are +repping other people for their contributions.

This is a valuable reminder.

There are a lot of people who have significant amounts of rep that has been given to them who rarely remember to give rep out to others. :) You won't "run out." There may be a limit to how much you can give out per day or how much you can give to a certain user in a period of time, but it will refresh, so you do not need to hoard it like a dragon's treasure.

Please remember +rep is not a "thank you," though, but a recognition that someone has made a valuable contribution toward making this forum better for everyone -- or at least for you personally. :)

Synth Salazzle
09-30-2020, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty late to this so I'm going to make a few points. The first thing I want to say? I can't stress enough how happy I am to see this, it felt a little unsafe in ck rank because of how just anyone could get in regardless of rep level or trust. Here's my best ways to try to get rep in the community. (After a little note about Komari, because I will never not take a moment to bitch about Komari.)

1. Glad Komari got banned again. Seriously you're nothing but a detriment to this society, and everything you buy or sell is a risk to everyone in this community because not only can you not secure shit for beans, but you also don't change your IP, openly multi account, and do endless stupid shit and blame the sellers for your own mistakes because we can't fix them, then you out them when they feel bad about how stupid you are and even give you a full refund on your last purchase, and you still out them anyway for 1 million in treasure (fr main currency) which was wiped from your account which, I told you I was going to replace for you when your account wasn't flagged anymore. I thought you had a capacity to learn and improve! That, coupled with the fact that you live so locally to me is why I was ready to potentially let you on my team at one time, turns out I was na�ve and stupid, and I dodged a fucking bullet by waiting it out, because you outted me less than a few days after I mentioned this to you. You're pure scum and you don't belong here at all. I'm glad staff agrees on this point because you are the only person in this entire community that I actually loathe.

Anyway, now that that's over here's some information.

2. I can't code don't know how, I can't post any of my art, writing or music as it links back to my real life information, which putting that here I am specifically trying to avoid because FR staff wants my head on a plate even though I stopped cheating and selling there years ago now. I still manage to get rep because you can write guides for more than neopets! I wrote one on how to spot bootleg cartridges for the GBA and DS years ago, more recently I wrote about how to bypass parental security on the Wii u and 3DS. Which is a very handy guide if you buy a second hand console and are locked out of it due to parental controls and not having the pin associated. I HAVE written a guide on neopets but it wasn't nearly as successful as my other guides.

3. Most of my rep comes from being as nice and helpful as I can toward everyone. Spread kindness, be good to people, do what you can. Be what you want to see in the community. If you can't come up with anything to contribute content wise, then just try your best to help people out where you're most effective! People like to rep nice, and helpful people. You don't have to do anything crazy, you don't have to pour all your resources into the community.

4. Be active! Sometimes if someone sees you have a low amount of rep, sometimes they pass it along just because they see you're genuinely trying to be part of the community and they want to encourage you along. Sometimes they just really like what you've posted, sometimes it's just a random act of god that someone gives you rep.

5. Be useful! I used to post a lot of free game links, limited offers for free steam games that you could just grab and go. Not contests, not giveaways you have to enter for. Straight up steam page, or a page that gives you a code for steam. (Humble bundle, steam itself, etc etc.) this is where a lot of my rep was obtained. People love free video games, and posting these links is 0 effort, and an easy way to gain rep.

6. Be interesting! If your forum titles are flopping, spice them up a bit, word them in a way you'd want to click on if you see it, is it a drama board? Insinuate that! Is it a health/wellness related board? Be blunt in your topic about what you want from it. Are you posting in SPAM? Absolutely start shit posting if it's your own topic, people love that stuff. (Don't do that on serious boards or where people don't like it though or they might get upset and you could get in trouble instead of having some light hearted fun with the community.)

All in all, it's really not that hard to get ck+ rank if you're putting in even a little effort toward gaining rep.

TL;DR write more guides that have nothing to do with neopets, be active, be friendly, be helpful, be useful, be interesting, be the best person you can be.

omg.UFOs
09-30-2020, 12:59 PM
This is cK staff's way of saying "Hey, we like you! Don't come to here to just request help on getting your program to work, hang out with us!"

You are cool people, just hang out with us on the forum and chat! Your rep will go up in no time :)

Painwheel
09-30-2020, 01:13 PM
Be here for the community, not just for it's beneficts!

That's the lesson I've been taught. I've been here in this post before, but I just want to embrace this community with all my sincere feelings, because it really makes me happier. :$

mokavanila
09-30-2020, 03:53 PM
Just thought to mention how I feel, I'm back to a newbie rank after being a member here for a couple of years and yet I totally agree with this change and believe it was necessary. I can't stress this enough, being a member of this forum made the gaming experience so much more rewarding, interesting, and fun. I check the forum almost daily, to see what's new. I think it's great that now more members have a reason to become more active.

Bottom line, I remember how excited I was when I got the clraik rank the last time, looking forward to earning it again :)

Mama Bear
09-30-2020, 05:53 PM
This is cK staff's way of saying "Hey, we like you! Don't come to here to just request help on getting your program to work, hang out with us!"

You are cool people, just hang out with us on the forum and chat! Your rep will go up in no time :)

Nailed it.

Sneasel
10-01-2020, 02:37 AM
Can I ask a question here?
If this is the wrong place, I apologize. My main reason for reaching the clraik again are the fabulous scripts from Bat
If I pay for VIP, can I use the scripts again?

Unown
10-01-2020, 03:02 AM
If this is the wrong place, I apologize. My main reason for reaching the clraik again are the fabulous scripts from Bat

Yes if you pay for VIP, you will have access to all the programs available as well as the scripts section.

The only areas you won't be able to access are the cK+ chat boards.

xChoppie
10-01-2020, 03:04 AM

Yes, you can. ;)

Sneasel
10-01-2020, 03:10 AM
Perfect! Thank you Unown and xChoppie

macca8
10-01-2020, 04:06 PM
May I ask, even if I have a VIP, can't see the forums where the mystery pic is? :S

SomeClown
10-01-2020, 04:09 PM
I got a couple rep notifications, but didn't see anyhting new, nto even negative. Is confused, but seeing a lot mroe useful activity lately :D

Flordibel
10-01-2020, 04:18 PM
May I ask, even if I have a VIP, can't see the forums where the mystery pic is? :S

To quote Joe from a few pages back:

The MPic answers aren't provided by any specific staff member. It's a group effort by the clraik+ ranked users, so it's only right to restrict this topic to the cK+ forum section.

Ranking up to cK+ will grant you access to the Mystery Pic forum! B)

kittyray
10-01-2020, 04:31 PM
I've been debating whether or not to post anything here because I completely agree with the change, but also understand the frustration and I wasn't sure if it would feel insincere/otherwise shitty coming from somebody with a higher rank. It felt relevant to a conversation I just had IRL, so figured I'd share my thoughts.

I post-counted my way to cK rank and was mostly just here for community. I figured that was it for me. I was shy, any skill I had was puny compared to other people here, and in general was afraid of putting myself out there. I came back during lockdown and a few months later I somehow recently found myself at Top cK. This is related more to the sharing of Things, but it does circle back to social anxiety and my house-of-cards levels of confidence.

The biggest thing that changed was that I've tried to make myself stop caring if somebody else can do something better than me, because taking the initiative to do something is also a huge factor. Just because somebody else knows more/could improve it/et cetera doesn't mean they're actually gonna be arsed to do it. Getting over that roadblock is a lot easier said than done, but people here are generally pretty supportive.

I'm not saying throw half-assed things out into the wild to get rep, but more try to be less hard on yourself and if you're thinking about sharing something, just go for it. Plus who knows, maybe you'll connect with somebody and start collaborating on things and it will get the ball rolling for other projects.

idk, done rambling, .02 thrown

Wallie
10-01-2020, 06:32 PM
bit late to the chat here but is it possible to have it such that you can see other peoples rep? I'm still struggling to see mine / maybe i don't have any :(

konkoct
10-01-2020, 06:43 PM
bit late to the chat here but is it possible to have it such that you can see other peoples rep? I'm still struggling to see mine / maybe i don't have any :(

You can go to "Settings" at the top right and see if you have any.

Ember
10-02-2020, 07:55 PM
I completely missed this post and was wondering why I had a measly 50 inbox message limit lol. Guess I'll have to do some extra finagling: p

Is hosting a giveaway a good way to earn rep? Or something along those lines. I planned on doing a uc/art giveaway soon anyway so it works out :p

XER0
10-03-2020, 12:01 AM
I'm a newbie now -_-

Mama Bear
10-03-2020, 01:32 AM
I'm a newbie now -_-

Aside from bumping a trade thread, you haven't posted in more than a year. Looking beyond that, your posts are predominantly 2-4 word spam or on a giveaway thread. You have more posts on that giveaway than anywhere else. What does that suggest about how you feel about this community?

I'd suggest if you're genuinely wanting to be a part of the community and earn the privileges that come with that, reflecting on how you've treated it is a good start. You may have been engaged with us once upon a time, but there's nothing for more than a year that suggests you care at all about anything other than making money or getting freebies.

GreyFaerie
10-03-2020, 02:21 PM
I come to comment on something that I noticed a moment ago.
Since posting here, I've started paying more attention to newbies I came across and others I gave REPs to. Several of these people have risen through the ranks. No one has made a program or a script and only one made a guide.

I don't know, I thought this might bring a little more hope.
Don't be discouraged, you can do it. <3

Nyanobyte
10-03-2020, 03:30 PM
No one has made a program or a script and only one made a guide.

I agree with this so much. There are so many things you can do that is helpful to the community to earn yourself some +rep without touching any code or writing guides. Post more than 2-3 word replies and show that you are actually engaged in the conversation. You might just post something that really clicks with someone and earn a few points. Look for people on the help forums that could use a hand with something and see if you can come up with a solution. Pay attention when new information is released on Neo or other games people enjoy here and share the news! You don�t have to do backflips or learn to be the best writer or programmer. Just do you best to really engage with others and try to be helpful when possible. I get that it can be scary sometimes to post or put yourself out there, but its not a competition and initiative doesn't go unnoticed.

This has been one of the easiest places to just chat and hang out, your +rep will go up in no time and hopefully you'll make some friends on the way. :)

Sprite
10-05-2020, 08:05 PM
Ah that explains it!! Better get my lurking and antisocial ass back into communicating with everyone LMAO
Thanks for the heads up!

ozfe
10-09-2020, 09:09 PM
There goes my chance of getting rank anytime soon :P. Posts are easy to make but +rep posts are tricky.

I guess I'll just keep buying VIP on and off to access those other areas.

Dita
10-22-2020, 09:59 PM
Thank you for continuing to watch out for all of us here to help keep us all safe c: This is great and I appreciate the update!

Dracula
11-30-2020, 05:53 PM
Bummer! I've also found +rep is tricky. It was much easier in the heyday of early 2010s when there were way more players.

Will try to be more active here :p

koopatrooper
12-01-2020, 06:32 PM
somehow I didn't get the memo I think. Its going to take a bit of time.

Nawa
12-04-2020, 03:25 PM
Took a break from Neo and clraik for a long time and am now back to see the changes -- I understand your decision, and have always fallen short of integrating myself into the community how I wanted due to everchanging life. Looking forward to getting to know everyone here and to hopefully have some insightful discussions :)

dididi13
01-16-2021, 11:16 PM
Just a reminder - everyone starts with 10 reputation points.

Hi Joe,

I'm wondering if everyone starts with 10 rep, why my initial rep is 1? I'm just checking if it's some kind of bug. Thanks!

Mama Bear
01-16-2021, 11:51 PM
Hi Joe,

I'm wondering if everyone starts with 10 rep, why my initial rep is 1? I'm just check if it's some kind of bug. Thanks!

Are you talking about the "Rep Power" mentioned on the left hand side? That's different.

dididi13
01-17-2021, 10:33 PM
Are you talking about the "Rep Power" mentioned on the left hand side? That's different.

Oh so, rep and rep power are different thing. Sorry I was little confused, can't figure out where to find the rep. I tried checking the guides.

Digipoop
01-17-2021, 10:37 PM
Oh so, rep and rep power are different thing. Sorry I was little confused, can't figure out where to find the rep. I tried checking the guides.

It can be a bit confusing but your total rep doesn't show until you have your first rep from someone else (if I remember correctly). After that you can see it in your settings tab! Just assume you have 10 already at the start :)