PDA

View Full Version : [GUIDE] Deciding whether to get Neopets Premium?

Unown
08-12-2020, 08:30 AM
NEOPETS PREMIUM

Hi :D It's me again.

I understand that one hot topic people are asking is
"Is Neopets Premium worth it?!"

Well... today I'm going to try and talk through some of the perks of Neopets Premium and then ultimately let you decide if it's worth it. I'll be listing the perks in order of my favorite to least favorite. So hopefully at the end of the entire guide you'll be able to make your own well-informed decision.

Perks

You'd think TNT would be smart enough to list out every single one of the perks of Premium to entice their userbase to purchase premium right? Well.. they're smart enough to list 9. But that's far from all of the perks available. Here, I've compiled every bit of benefit you can get from a measly fee of $8 USD per month (at its most expensive subscription).

1. Super Shop Wizard

In my personal opinion, the Super Shop Wizard is the best perk you can get out of Premium. This alone, is worth paying that small amount every month, especially if you use the Shop Wizard a lot. Of course, for many specific functions of the game, if you're using things like StealthCORE Botter, or GM/TM Scripts, you may or may not require SSW, but having it ensures your gameplay a lot more convenient than it is without.

a) In-window Pop-up
No longer will you have to switch windows/tabs just to search for something. It's right there at the bottom of your site bar, and when you click it, it pops up and you can search for something straight away. Extremely easy when you're pricing your shop, sniping or kadding.

b) Lowest Price
As you know, the Shop Wizard shows you many different ranges of prices for a certain item you search for - and you have to refresh a few times before finding a cheaper price, or at least, what you think is the cheapest. The Super Shop Wizard shows the LOWEST price from the very beginning of the first search because it searches through every single user shop. So when you're pricing your shop, doing jobs at the employment agency, or kadding, it's extremely fast and saves a lot of time.

c) Min/Max Price
Well, to be very honest I'm not too sure what this could be used for - since when you're buying something you want to buy it at its cheapest and when you sell, you wouldn't want to sell it too high.. but I guess someone out there will use it for whatever reason. End of the day, this feature is there.

There are also some limitations to the Super Shop Wizard. You can't search for Laboratory Map pieces, Nerkmids, Paintbrushes or Transmogrification Potions

2. Cosmic Dome Challengers

You will have access to the Cosmic Dome - another type of arena in the Battledome. These 2 new opponents (Jetsam Ace and Giant Space Fungus).

The beauty about this Cosmic Dome is that they have chances of dropping Nerkmids. Yes, going for ~70,000nps a pop, or having the chance to gamble for paintbrushes, many people subscribe to Premium to have access to the Cosmic Dome. It's still a chance to get a nerkmid, so you could end up with 0. It usually ranges from 0-5, depending on your luck. My average is 1-2 per day.

Jetsam Ace, in general, is pretty easy to beat with some training. If you're able to take on the Giant Space Fungus, you'll have a chance of getting Bubbling Fungus, which you can sell for ~40,000nps each, or use them on your pet for -3 ~ +5 strength.

If you want more information on the Battledome, how to train and farm the Battledome for good drops to earn neopoints, do take a look at my guide HERE ([Only registered and activated users can see links]).

3. Bankroll Feature

Nestled at the bottom of your browser is a bar - where you see your Super Shop Wizard, Premium Featured Game.. and then there's the Bankroll. If you're ever confused as to how much total Neopoints you have, wonder no more.

It shows what you have in your bank, your shop till AND the worth of your stocks. It's the ultimate accounting summary without needing to go separately into your bank, shop till and stocks to calculate it yourself. Now you can know how poor you are (jk how much you're worth) with just one click.

4. Neopet Species Change

This allows you to change the species of your pet, retaining the color. This means that you can change whatever pet you have into a different pet (all pets including exclusive ones except Krawks/Draiks). This is especially good when you wish to get pets that have exclusive lab colors - such as Robot or Chocolate. Imagine if you zapped a pet and got a Robot Kacheek. But your dream pet is a Robot Bori. Just use the premium perk on your Robot Kacheek and change your pet into a Bori! :D

There's a trick to get ANY pet you want in ANY color possible (except Krawks/Draiks)

You first need to paint/morph your current pet into a species + a color that the pet you want does not have. Then use the premium perk to switch it and you can pick whatever you want. This is usually used to get Lab-specific colors seeing as they're random and hard to get.

Confusing? Let me give you an example.

One such pet that's hard to get and is exclusive is the MSP Poogle. You can only get it from the Lab and there's no other MSP pets out there to use the perk on. BUT! If you use the Premium Perk on a pet that does comes in a color which the Poogle doesn't have, you can CHOOSE any color for your Poogle.

For example - Poogles don't come in Water. There's no such thing as a Water Poogle. Therefore, you first morph your pet into a Water (whatever). Cheapest Water Morphing Potion is either the Kau or Kyrii ranging from 150,000nps to 200,000nps. Then you use the Perk to change your pet into a Poogle - and since there's no such thing as a Water Poogle, you'll have the option to CHOOSE a color. Pick the MSP color and you're the owner of a brand new MSP Poogle.

5. 7th Pet Slot

Annoyed that you only have 6 slots for all your pets and your customization needs? Need more? Well, now with Premium you can have OMG 1 MORE SLOT!!!!!

But on a serious note - 1 more may not be a lot, but it is better than none. :D Just take note that if you have 7 pets and your Premium expires, you'll have to give up one pet either through pounding or transferring. So beware!

6. No Advertisements

Another one of the big benefits is that there are no more advertisements appearing on the top, right side, bottom, or any other random boxes on the site for that matter. The reason why it's on number 6 is because there's a thing called Adblock Plus which is free to download - and this blocks all ads perfectly fine on Neopets without Premium. But if you have Premium, you can delete Adblock Plus now :D

7. Dailies

For many people, they rely on fan sites such as JellyNeo or TheDailyNeopets for the dailies page, where you get every compiled list of Dailies in 1 page, and all you have to do is open each of them in a new tab to do them. This, has made things so much easier for many people. After awhile, you get so used to the layout, the icons, the dailies you click through to and the ones you skip, that you slowly start to set the dailies page to your bookmarks, remember to go to it every single day at the same time.... and thus TNT wants to leverage on that too :D

Suck you in to the cosystem of convenience so that you'll re-subscribe to Premium again and again!

Just kidding.. Though I can't vouch that it is 100% true, I feel that it makes sense. You'll have a pop-up for all the different dailies from the bar at the bottom of the site. You can click on the cog that brings you to another page where you can manage all your dailies. Tick all the ones you wish to do and they'll be easily accessible from the Premium bar. You can up to 5 custom dailies which are not on there.

Personally, I think it's a great feature, but I'm used to the fansite dailies page, so I don't use this function at all. But if you're open to new change, then this is a good feature to have since it's right on the site itself and it's easily accessible through the premium bar at the bottom of the page.

8. Earn 2x Neopoints with Premium Featured Game

Every single day, there'll be a Premium Featured Game which allows you to play and earn 2x the neopoints! The game changes everyday so go ahead and play your 3 games and earn double the neopoints :D

9. Weekly Space Faerie Scratchcards

This is another form of gambling - apart from the ones already available in the game. But this one is exclusive to Premium users. Every Friday, you'll get a special scratchcard from the Space Faerie. You can't sell nor trade this card and all you can do is scratch them. You can do so by clicking the link on the Premium bar. Prizes are mainly space faerie-themed prizes and some neopoints. You can also get this item called a Mysterious Token which you can then use at the Space Faerie Vending Machine.

Tip: Amass all the Space Faerie Scratchcards you have and then activate "Full Pockets", the Premium-only boon from Obelisk War when your faction wins. The boon gives additional neopoints from Space Faerie Scratchcards.

10. Bonus Monthly Neopoints

This one appears as an SHH (Something has happened!). Therefore, the more you play the game, and the more you refresh pages, the higher the chances of these appearing. They appear quite frequently and they give out random amounts of neopoints usually ranging from 1,000nps to 3,000nps. She also give you items (r1 - r75) that usually don't sell for much so I just end up tossing them into my SDB. It's always nice to receive free money, and this isn't something that I would really need but it's a great little trick to give me little rewards along the way. I mean, since we've all been accustomed to be happy when an SHH happens (only to find out that it's bad news).

11. Monthly NC Premium Collectible

Every month, you get a different NC Premium Collectible only exclusive to current premium members. Yes you can trade them around using gift boxes and you can still keep them even if you cancel your subscription to premium.

12. 30 Gallery Categories

A regular Neopian is only allowed 20 different categories in the gallery for different themed items. However, Premium members can create up to 30 different categories.

13. Custom Looks in Journal

This journal is great for people who love to have different customizations and get bored easily. You can take different snapshots of your pets' customizations and add them to the journal. You can also write little snippets there to describe your pets and how they're dressed up. Apart from a snapshot, you can see what clothing and items you used for that particular customization. A little kinda like DTI... but on-site.

14. Premium NeoBoards

You get a total of 6 Premium Neoboards for Help, Main Hall and Spotlights and Games. The other 3, Charter: Main, Charter: NC Mall, and Charter: Trading/Auctions only become available when you've been a Premium member for more than 4 months. These boards are rumored to be good because the people there are more helpful towards other premium members, and if you really require lending for avatars, the people there are more trusting because everyone who has access there has premium.

15. Premium Avatar

You get to use the Premium Space Faerie avatar! This doesn't add to your avatar count.

16. Premium Site Theme

I actually like the Premium Site Theme because of its nice dark colors. But it doesn't add to your site theme count.

17. Premium Obelisk Boons

37285 37286

You get 2 different Premium Boons when your faction wins in the Obelisk War. You can choose between Full Pockets (Receive additional Neopoints from Space Faerie Scratchcards) or Premium Dreamium (Send 4 scores per day on the Premium Featured Game instead of 3)

18. Space Faerie Charm (Site Feature Trophy)

Not only do you have a lovely new Space Faerie Charm under your Site Feature Trophy cabinet, this charm has special powers! On any random occasion where you're playing games, it can double your neopoints when you send your score. This means that you can earn more than 1000 neopoints per game. And if you're lucky enough to have it activate when you play the featured game of the day - you can earn up to 4000 neopoints! Wow. I wonder what you can buy with 4000 neopoints!?! /s But yeah, the charm is a great show that you're supporting the game, and people can know that you have disposable income to drop on this game ^.^

19. Premium NeoDeck Cards

This, in my opinion, is the most useless part of Premium. It's main purpose is to let you know how much money you've spent on Premium. Every month you'll get a new one that's based on the month. You can't remove them, sell them, or trade them away. It's basically a way to just tell you that you've spent a lot of money on premium.

20. Space Faerie Quests

Getting a Faerie Quest is amazing. Getting a Space Faerie Quest, is also great because she gives +5 levels to your pet. And it's only available to Premium users. I put this at the back of the list because I do not want my pet to level too fast or else I'll have to spend more codestones training it :( But that's the only reason. I think it's great since the Light Faerie only gives you +2 to level.

21. Birthday Training

Oh wow. I also just found out that if you're on Premium, your pet can also train for free at the Swashbuckling Academy on THEIR BIRTHDAY. Usually they get it for free on their pet days.. but amazing.. another extra day of free training.

Price

As per the image above, premium will cost you $7.95 USD per month if you subscribe to a monthly payment subscription (a total of $95.40 USD per year). A subscription for 4 months is $24.95 USD (a total of $74.85 USD per year) and finally, an annual subscription which costs $69.95 USD. However, if you're planning on getting it by the year, I'd recommend waiting till August when they have the birthday sale because the price will be $49.95 for an annual subscription.

Monthly Subscription - $7.95 USD / month
4-Month Subscription - $6.24 USD / month
Yearly Subscription - $5.83 USD / month
Annual Sale Yearly Subscription - $4.16 USD / month

Annual Birthday Sale in 2020 is from 8th August - 8th September

Payment

Payment can be made either through a credit/debit card, or through PayPal. If you wish to use existing funds in your PayPal account, this setting has to be adjusted within your PayPal account before you can do so. At the same time, because Neopets Premium is a recurring payment (meaning it'll charge again next year automatically), you'll still need to key in your credit card/debit card details just in case you have no more funds next year. Sneaky I know... therefore you need to put a calendar reminder just before your expiry date to remind you and you can decide whether you want it again next month/4 months/year.

Another way you could do it is to sign for a year, then go back in and immediately cancel it so it doesn't automatically renew the following year.

Premium > Manage Membership > Login > Cancel Membership

Cinderella
08-30-2020, 11:38 PM
Thanks so much for the guide. I had completely forgotten about the scratch cards. Now i see I have 18 waiting to be scratched, OOPS, haha