PDA

View Full Version : Books you can read over and over again?

Ph0enix
07-22-2020, 11:35 AM
I have so many books that I have read multiple times and would definitely read again.

Harry Potter series
Hunger Games series
Scott Westerfield's Uglies series
Ellen Hopkins books
Willow
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
David Pelzer books
Switching Time by Richard Baer
Go Ask Alice
Come Back by Mia and Claire Fontaine

There are so many more but these are what I can think of for now.. what are your go-tos when you have nothing else to read?

Flordibel
07-22-2020, 04:07 PM
I knock out Tamora Pierce's "Protector of the Small" series about once every 6 months or so. Then I'll work my way through the rest of her stuff, usually starting with the Wildmage or Terrier series, then the Numair book "Tempests & Slaughter," then the Lioness series, then the Circle of Magic series. I love those books to NO END!

If I'm feeling particularly :<, I'll reread Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy. (Though technically, with the addition of Clariel and Goldenhand, I'm not sure if it's a trilogy anymore?) They make me feel like I can do ANYTHING.

Ph0enix
07-22-2020, 04:54 PM
I knock out Tamora Pierce's "Protector of the Small" series about once every 6 months or so. Then I'll work my way through the rest of her stuff, usually starting with the Wildmage or Terrier series, then the Numair book "Tempests & Slaughter," then the Lioness series, then the Circle of Magic series. I love those books to NO END!

If I'm feeling particularly :<, I'll reread Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy. (Though technically, with the addition of Clariel and Goldenhand, I'm not sure if it's a trilogy anymore?) They make me feel like I can do ANYTHING.I've never heard of her but I will look her up if you like her that much! I'm always down to read something new :)

sodick
07-24-2020, 01:19 PM
In my case, I read the book the Steppenwolf many times.

Roslyn
07-24-2020, 01:55 PM
The Five People You Meet in Heaven whenever I need a good cry. Quick read.

bootiesrus
07-25-2020, 12:34 AM
All of Jane Austen's work. I can read Pride and Prejudice over and over as well as Persuasion personally.

Appletun
07-25-2020, 02:30 AM
i could reread The Book Thief for the rest of my life. sucha good book, love how different it's written but also draws me in!

Crow
07-25-2020, 05:10 PM
I'm not a big reader to be honest, but the book I've read multiple times is "Taggerung" by Brian Jacques. It's my favorite of the Redwall series. You don't even have to read the rest of the series to appreciate it lol.

Koto
07-25-2020, 10:18 PM
If I'm feeling particularly :<, I'll reread Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy. (Though technically, with the addition of Clariel and Goldenhand, I'm not sure if it's a trilogy anymore?) They make me feel like I can do ANYTHING.

AHHHH! I re-read these in two days every 6 months or so! (Clariel FTW, honestly - I love what that book does so much and how well Nix creates messy women!!!) I am forever waiting for a graphic novel/adult animated series for these honestly.

I reread Terry Prachett's stuff on a regular basis, especially the Vimes books, Going Postal! And Unseen Academically. I also, ashamedly, reread the Bitterbynde Trilogy by Cecilia Dart-Thronton about once a year. Also, the Silmarilion has a bi-yearly re-read spot as well.

Oshun
07-26-2020, 01:26 AM
So many good ones listed already! Tossing in anything written by Maggie Stiefvater, especially The Raven Cycle. I love her writing and creation of character so much.

ambrosialprey
07-30-2020, 01:56 AM
"Kings of the Wyld" and "Bloody Rose" by Nicholas Eames!
If you're into dnd-esque stories both his books (and his soon 3rd book) fell like a dnd campaign fleshed out by an amazing DM and a good group of friends, I would reread them but gd quarantine keeps me from getting my books from my apartment

paris hilton
09-22-2020, 06:08 PM
Mine would

Rich dad, poor dad.
Harry Potter Series
Series of unfortunate events
and
Ishmael

MKM
10-05-2020, 10:59 AM
Hope to take good ideas to read from everyone :D

I would say:
-I have the right to destroy myself by Kim Young-Ha
-I will be right there by Shin Kyung Sook
-Art of War by Sun Tzu

Althought books impacts us differently bearing our state of mind, this 3 are always a must and every time they seem different.

Good readings :D

nousha
10-05-2020, 12:31 PM
There are so many books I'd love to reread and now, as I come to think of it, most of them are books I've read when I was a teenager/young adult.
I reread the childhood stories I love (what can I say, I'll never grow up enough to outgrow them) - Astrid Lindgren's works for example. Harry Potter. Anna Karenina (such a wonderful book). The Lord of the Rings. Everything by Pratchett, same with Zelazny. A few wonderful Bulgarian authors that will be virtually unknown for you, so I won't mention names. And Bulgakov's "Master and Margarita".

TsUNaMy WaVe
10-05-2020, 01:09 PM
I agree about the Harry Potter series, but without the last book there. I just really don't like it, and the ending makes it even worse for me.
Other than that, I feel like I can read Watership Down and The End of Mister Y over and over again and get excited every time.

mokavanila
10-05-2020, 01:19 PM
One of my all-time favorite books is The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera, very insightful and well-written, would recommend to anyone who enjoy's historical-romans.
For all of you fantasy fans, I really think that The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams is timeless, hilarious and overall pretty aweomse.
For the spooky-season, would recommend The Straw Men by Michael Marshall Smith, this is just the scariest book I've ever read.

RainDrop
01-30-2021, 08:54 PM
I feel like I can read Harry Potter and Eragon over and over again. Right now I'm reading Ready Player One and I can tell it's one I'll be able to reread too.

Alister
02-11-2021, 11:10 AM
I agree about the Harry Potter series, but without the last book there. I just really don't like it, and the ending makes it even worse for me.
Other than that, I feel like I can read Watership Down and The End of Mister Y over and over again and get excited every time.

I was going to name Watership Down as one of mine too. I never don't get super anxious during the Efrafa arc, even though I've read it a hundred times.

Others on my list:
Ender's Game but particularly the first sequel, Speaker for the Dead, by Orson Scott Card. Speaker is such a beautiful book with so much heart.
The Coldfire Trilogy by CS Friedman. The best enemies turned ultra-begrudging allies turned extremely friends sort of series I've ever read.
White Fang and Call of the Wild, I just never get sick of Jack London
Hyperion & Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. The Shrike and the Time Tombs never stop freaking me tf out no matter how many times I read them.

Anybody
02-11-2021, 11:47 AM
I�ve been rereading The Giver and Wrinkle in Time since I was a kid. Love them both so much, my BFF keeps buying me different releases of Wrinkle since my original has the uber creepy cover. The sequels are also lovely!
I�ve also been rereading The Ocean at the End of the Lane. They�re all a bit reality bending, which I adore.

wonderrabbit
02-15-2021, 04:11 PM
The Black Jewel Series by Anne Bishop
The Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan
Watership Down
The Xanth Novels by Pieres Anthony
Elfquest by Wendy and Richard Pini

Goddammit
02-15-2021, 08:58 PM
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is my favorite all time book.

Ready Player One is always a good read and I really need to get Ready Player Two

and Gil's All Fright Diner which has a very hitchhikers-guide feel to it only instead of sci-fi it's supernatural.

And of course all the usuals, HP, Hitchhikers Guide, any of Stephen King's short stories (and most of his novels).

Also VC Andrews because I like trash

MASTAYAITS
02-15-2021, 09:14 PM
LOTR (including the hobbit) - It took me until the third try to actually grasp all the information in these books by JRR Tolkein. Proud to say I read all the books before seeing the movies. (I've re-read about 7 or 8 times)
HP books - Because duh I was Harry's age when the first book came out :D
The Stormlight Archive Series by Brandon Sanderson (He still hasn't finished the series.. but I have re-read them from the beginning each time he finishes a new book) - Really good if you like Fantasy
Game of Thrones (Have read them multiple times) And no i refuse to watch GOT on HBO until he FINISHES THE DAMN BOOKS. LOL

Nameless Ghoul
02-21-2021, 05:54 PM
The ones I always end up rereading is The Book Thief and I am the Messenger, I'm a sucker for Zusak's prose.

rio
02-28-2021, 01:45 AM
Mine would have to be the early Harry Potters (up to/including goblet of fire) and any Lemony Snicket for the nostalgia. I don't think I have any books I would reread as an adult, but I don't tend to re watch TV shows either when I know the ending. I would reread the childhood books for nostalgia and comfort for sure though.

carrottea
05-28-2021, 01:35 PM
The Book Thief is a big favorite. I just love how Zusak writes I could read his words over and over and over. Now that I'm older I don't have quite as much time to reread things, but when I was kid I used to reread Dr. Seuss books dozens of times.

Sanctus
06-10-2021, 12:57 AM
I usually don't re-read books but Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) is one of those books that you ought to read once and then re-read every now and then to reaffirm yourself of its values. It's a life-changing book.

Nala
07-01-2021, 02:05 PM
La trilogie des jumeaux by Agota Kristóf (The Notebook, The Proof, The Third Lie: Three Novels in english). A masterpiece

Bea
07-01-2021, 02:35 PM
Harry Potter Franchise, i could read them over and over again until the pages disintegrated.
I personally think the books are way better than the films ♥

Trash Panda
07-02-2021, 12:11 PM
- Perks of being a Wallflower
- The Book Thief
- Harry Potter
- The name of the wind

Everytime I read them it's like I'm reading them for the first time all over again

Goddammit
07-03-2021, 02:24 AM
I decided to re-read Stephen King's Desperation. The first and only other time I'd read it I was probably way to young to read it and didn't understand half of it.

So far, it's a good re-read.

HippoMoon
07-15-2021, 06:27 PM
I should put all of these in a list and read them. lol.

Harry Potter is my "read over and over" book/s. I have read the original series a lot. I would love to collect all the different versions of them - different countries and such.

neopets_pro1
07-25-2021, 12:05 AM
Harry Potter series for sure and the Goosebumps Choose your own adventure series for the nostalgia

Unlucky
08-04-2021, 09:26 AM
The Hunger Games. A really easy read with an interesting concept behind the story, it debates the type of stuff that I'm really into.

Gato
08-04-2021, 10:38 AM
I really enjoy rereading the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett; on my second read right now, and I can definitely see myself revisiting these in the future. Not really for the plot or impeccable storytelling, but for the language - Pratchett has a way with words and grammar that intrigues me. The prose makes my brain hurt sometimes, but it's full of gems!

Some of my other favorites to revisit are the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce and pretty much all of Tolkien and Poe. I am also guilty of reading through all of Harry Potter at least four times. I don't know why I do it - it gets worse every time, but the nostalgia is overwhelming! I probably won't do it again... or will I

Dark_dragonz
07-16-2022, 12:26 AM
Harry Potter Series
Lord of the Rings series
The Hobbit
Game of Thrones
The Book Thief
Hunger Games Series

kittyray
07-16-2022, 01:09 AM
Lately my go-to audiobook listens have been:

The Hunger Games Trilogy
The Dark Materials Trilogy
An Absolutely Remarkable Thing / A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor
The Martian
Speaker For The Dead

phantasia
07-16-2022, 02:59 AM
Reading you guys comments I feel like I am missing out not having read the book thief

I love the Harry Potter books and it is probably the books I have reread the most. I actualy love the 5th book the most. I also love Trudie caravans books. She has a few series. Her books are a bit fantasy politics and very interesting to read.

Serebii
07-16-2022, 05:03 AM
The Redwall series is one that no matter how many times I read it, I always want to experience it over and over again. And every single reread of the books I seem to notice new things about the characters or how the world is described. They're easy reads as they're meant for children, of course, but that doesn't make them any less fun.

...Just don't read them while you're hungry. The food descriptions will have you digging through your cupboards within only a few sentences.

Shazi
07-16-2022, 05:44 AM
i'm definitely going to use this thread as a tbr.

my list would be:
locke lamora series
kingkiller chronicles
harry potter
game of thrones
hitchhiker's guide
lord of the rings
phantom tollbooth (for kids but it's been one of my favorites since i was a kid so)
anything by holly black or neil gaiman
& my guilty pleasure: throne of glass

Erik.
07-16-2022, 10:36 AM
The Redwall series is one that no matter how many times I read it, I always want to experience it over and over again. And every single reread of the books I seem to notice new things about the characters or how the world is described. They're easy reads as they're meant for children, of course, but that doesn't make them any less fun.

...Just don't read them while you're hungry. The food descriptions will have you digging through your cupboards within only a few sentences.

That's funny, I'm rereading them right now! I just finished Redwall, started with Mossflower last night. I enjoyed them immensely as a child, but I must say Redwall was a bit more boring than I remembered. Nothing much of impact happens for the first half, the stakes aren't really there if you catch my drift. Imo it starts getting tensive when Matthias is out looking for Asmodeus and the sword. I think I'll like Mossflower more, since it's more of a journey. iirc Mariel was more like that too.

Edit:

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

(spoilered cause them images be big)
These two (the second has a sequel which I count as well) are probably my most read books. I have read them both multiple times as a child, and I read them still every 1/2 years... I wonder if anyone here knows them? If you do I'd love to chat about it! The Edge Chronicles are my nr.1 fantasy world to go to, I wanted to be a sky pirate as a kid :x Really solid and interesting lore too. I wish someone would make a movie or series out of it (a GOOD director though!!! Can't stress that enough, I wouldn't want it to be botched like so many fantasy novel adaptations), especially if they make it slightly darker/more realistic. The Wild Road is imho the best animal character novel (besides Watership Down of course), and I have read a lot of them. Love the mystery in it. It has multiple layers, which is great for rereading it.

Kibba
07-16-2022, 11:15 AM
I know the movie was not the sh*t but I loved reading Breaking Dawn, The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer
was really good for me, and all Harry Potter books as well, would read again x100

Charmander
07-16-2022, 12:02 PM
Like many of the others here I can reach Harry Potter over and over again. The nice things is now my kiddo is asking me to read chapters to him before bed. So now we can both enjoy these books together!

Other series I can read over and over again are Lord of the Rings as well as Game of Thrones. They are such amazing stories and an amazing escape!

Cinnamoroll
07-16-2022, 12:23 PM
Honestly, anything that is written by Ellen Hopkins. My favourite book of hers is Identical. I also really enjoy "Perfect, Tricks, and Burned.

I also can and always will re-read Harry Potter, Twilight and the Gossip Girl books. Yes, its cringy; no I don't care, so let me live :rolleyes:

transformers
02-14-2023, 07:36 PM
My go-to for rereading is Howl's Moving Castle. It's such an easy, fun read and I love all the characters. It just makes me happy.

Rhaenyra
02-14-2023, 10:35 PM
The Percy Jackson books. I feel like all throughout middle school and high school my friend group had an unofficial book club where we would talk about and analyze the books until the next one came out. I've read the original 5 books several times.

Shinx
02-14-2023, 10:59 PM
Eragon series, I always get so lost in it!

Kon
02-14-2023, 11:43 PM
I'm not a huge fan of reading, but the series that I did end up reading was 'The Maze Runner.'
After watching the first movie, I got invested and decided to purchase the book trilogy and ended up reading all three books.
Being able to experience the book and have my imagination paint the scene made the series more enjoyable.
Upon watching the movies, they were great, but from what the book had painted while reading made the movies not as great.

Dasvidaniya
02-27-2023, 11:55 PM
+1 for Harry Potter lol. I re-read the entire series every year, or every other year, either in print or audiobook format.
I recently finished my Illustrated Editions collection (what's out so far, which is up to book 5) in the hopes that someday I can read them to my kids when they're old enough and get them to love the magical world of HP as much as I have growing up :)

Also, I unironically enjoy Twilight and will probably re-read the series one of these days lol. It's a nostalgic guilty pleasure and I rewatched the movies last year, so why not revisit the books.

Sanctus
05-04-2023, 12:30 PM
I just reread The Hobbit by Tolkien, and it definitely fits into this category. It's been about 7 years since I first read it. I don't usually reread books, but this one is an exception. On my second read of it, it was just as exciting and enjoyable as the first... now I need to actually finish the rest of the LOTR series.

dancingsushi
05-04-2023, 02:36 PM
All of Sarah J Maas's books. I can reread them over and over. I would never get bored of that story :$

Uma
05-11-2023, 02:07 AM
A little different from all the suggestions so far but.... 7 Habits of Highly Effective People - by Stephen Covey.

Terrible title but life-changing book.
When I read this book, I feel like I am getting invaluable advice from the easiest person to listen to.

Rebel_Minx
05-28-2023, 11:49 PM
So, I love any and all books by Jackie Collins! I haven't read them all yet! But, I have read Lovers & Players numerous times. It is such a juicy book. The writing is amazing and makes you forget about the real world. You literally see what she is writing and lose all track of real life. Each book has the same characters that are rich and famous and all of their drama.

Has anyone read anything by Jackie Collins?

Politoed
05-29-2023, 06:37 AM
Call the midwife books, that inspired the show Call the midwife lol. I'm actually addicted to the show as well!

Cerberus
06-03-2023, 03:43 PM
I loved a lot of books I read in high school and throughout college haha.

Warrior Cats (comfort since elementary lmao)
Sex is as Sex does (VERY fitting for Pride Month, IT IS VERY GOOD)

hellraid
06-03-2023, 03:58 PM
I'm probably pissing everyone off right now. But I actually only read a couple of books. And I only reread one of them. It was Chamber of Secrets. Please dont hate me. I just had to post it xD

Rebel_Minx
06-03-2023, 04:27 PM
I'm probably pissing everyone off right now. But I actually only read a couple of books. And I only reread one of them. It was Chamber of Secrets. Please dont hate me. I just had to post it xD

I personally have never read those books, so I think more people are gonna hate on me more than you! I watch the movies though. I own all the books on my Kindle. I just don't read them. So weird, I know!

hellraid
06-03-2023, 04:44 PM
I personally have never read those books, so I think more people are gonna hate on me more than you! I watch the movies though. I own all the books on my Kindle. I just don't read them. So weird, I know!

Yoo, I love the movies. I think people going to hate me for the same reason lmao.I've seen the movies to many times. Love them by the way. But yeah I've only read one book :D lets goo

Shinx
06-03-2023, 04:46 PM
Eragon series or The Rangers Apprentice
My favourites of all time

gilly777
06-06-2023, 03:53 PM
A book series I absolutely love and no one I know has read is the Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett. That woman is the best historical writer I ever encountered.
If you love historical novels, and especially if you loved the Book Serie Outlander, this are made for you.

Series I still read and love as an adult include:
- The Queen's thief serie (6 books + novellas) by Megan Whalen Turner, perfect for fantasy lovers, and people who love stories with inspirations from Greek mythology
- The Farseer Trilogy and the Tawny Man Trilogy (Realm of the Elderling Series) by Robin Hobb
- The Outlander Series (9 books so far) by Diana Gabaldon
- The King Must Die and the Bull From the See, by Mary Renaut (two novels about Theseus, inspired from greek mythology)
- The Dark Tower (8 books) by Stephen King
- The Stormlight Archives (4 books so far, 10 planed) by Brandon Sanderson (and everything else he writes basically, the man is a genius)
- The Penric and desdemona series (11 Books, most of them novellas) by ois MacMaster Bujold
- The Murderbot Chronicles (7 books so far, at least 2 more planed) by Martha Wells
- Everything Neil Gaiman writes ;)

wildgoat
07-04-2023, 03:37 PM
I just finished the Farseer Trilogy, I absolutely loved it!! I can't imagine rereading it any time soon though, it ripped my heart to shreds LOL
Any particular Gaiman books you recommend? I've been wanting to try out his stuff but keep putting it off >.<

Infected
07-04-2023, 04:07 PM
Super cliche, but I reread Harry Potter very often. Usually Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire, or Deathly Hallows. It's my feel good, comfort read zone haha

Jesuslovescats
07-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Super cliche, but I reread Harry Potter very often. Usually Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire, or Deathly Hallows. It's my feel good, comfort read zone haha

I saw this board pop up on new posts and came here to say HP but then I remembered (I think) I posted about me rereading (listening) the the hp books on audio already lol.

It's cliche for a reason!

A different series I absolutely adored was The Broken Earth trilogy. Such an interesting narration.

Rebel_Minx
07-04-2023, 05:27 PM
I still haven't read all of Jackie Collins books, but the ones I have, I can reread over and over! I love them and I love her talent in writing to create a visual and make you lose track of the real world. He books suck you outta your world and into hers!

pppp3
07-04-2023, 06:33 PM
I saw this board pop up on new posts and came here to say HP but then I remembered (I think) I posted about me rereading (listening) the the hp books on audio already lol.

It's cliche for a reason!

A different series I absolutely adored was The Broken Earth trilogy. Such an interesting narration.

For about a year and a half I had to listen to the HP books read by Stephen fry to go to sleep every night before bed. They’re so soothing and familiar it just zonked me out so quickly. Hpaudiobooks.com has them available and it’s not giving any money to JK so I don’t feel guilty about consuming the content.

As far as books I can read again and again I’ve read the earths children series by Jean m auel probably 5+ times at least. Wonderful historical fiction set in the Stone Age that’s remarkable factually accurate but also so so so interesting with a great storyline and a strong female lead. The first 3 books (clan of the cave beatr, valley of horses and mammoth hunters) are the best. The last 3 are good too but there ends up being too much focus on sex scenes rather than the storyline for my liking. Despite that fact they’re some of my all time favourite books and would reccomend them to anyone who likes losing themselves in a story and enjoys female authors/ strong female lead characters
Tw though there’s a rape scene in the first book (very important to the over arching story though) and lots of sex scenes throughout the other books.

Jesuslovescats
07-04-2023, 08:19 PM
For about a year and a half I had to listen to the HP books read by Stephen fry to go to sleep every night before bed. They’re so soothing and familiar it just zonked me out so quickly. Hpaudiobooks.com has them available and it’s not giving any money to JK so I don’t feel guilty about consuming the content.

As far as books I can read again and again I’ve read the earths children series by Jean m auel probably 5+ times at least. Wonderful historical fiction set in the Stone Age that’s remarkable factually accurate but also so so so interesting with a great storyline and a strong female lead. The first 3 books (clan of the cave beatr, valley of horses and mammoth hunters) are the best. The last 3 are good too but there ends up being too much focus on sex scenes rather than the storyline for my liking. Despite that fact they’re some of my all time favourite books and would reccomend them to anyone who likes losing themselves in a story and enjoys female authors/ strong female lead characters
Tw though there’s a rape scene in the first book (very important to the over arching story though) and lots of sex scenes throughout the other books.

I have never ever read this series but I've not only grown up with my mom loving the series and having all of the books, but have been recommended the series multiple times now.

I'm going to stop my stephen king binge and start listening to these once I finish my current book!

pppp3
07-04-2023, 08:44 PM
I have never ever read this series but I've not only grown up with my mom loving the series and having all of the books, but have been recommended the series multiple times now.

I'm going to stop my stephen king binge and start listening to these once I finish my current book!
Honestly do it!!! It’s a great mix of fictional stories and factual information. The author studied anthropology for I think 8 (?) years before putting pen to paper so a lot of the building methods, hunting methods are factually accurate! Even one of the main characters in the first book Creb is based off a real like Neanderthal skeleton who was found with old healed broken bones and deformities which showed that Neanderthals looked after their sick and elderly

doraemon
07-04-2023, 10:44 PM
Do fanfics count? I have particular fanfics that I can read over and over.

If not, it would be Good Omens for me. Such a fun, witty book.

ETA: And yes to everyone who said the Harry Potter books. While I skip parts, and am aware ma'am JKR is shite right now, the core books still remain my childhood world.

kalez
07-04-2023, 10:48 PM
Not a novel, but the Ajin Demi Human manga I've read start to finish like 7 times now.

I haven't re-read Harry Potter books except Chamber of Secrets but those are definitely a world of imagination to get lost in for sure!

Infected
07-05-2023, 03:22 AM

I need to check this out! How long are they on average?

Harvest Goddess
07-05-2023, 12:42 PM
Oh man I think one of my favorite books that I've read time and time again is either Moorchild or Inkheart!

I read them in childhood and for some reason I just re-read them anytime I feel down

Crooked
07-05-2023, 01:23 PM
If manga counts then the Hetalia series... I've loved it since the days you could only read it in English via LiveJournal fan scanalations before the anime was even announced. Manga is really easy for me to go back and enjoy in general, maybe it's because I'm always examining the art. Books I like to be a little more precious about re-reading now that I'm an adult, idk why. It would probably help me improve my writing if I went back and reread some favorites to study their styles.

doraemon
07-06-2023, 04:28 AM
!!!!

Brain suddenly reminded me of a series I didn't say during my last post -

Anyone else familiar with the Newsflesh trilogy by Mira Grant? *That.* I love the mix of the classic zombie apocalypse married to modern ideas such as blogging, paired with political intrigue. Though people are kinda divided on one plot point in the third book, I personally don't mind it.

heathen
07-14-2023, 08:02 AM
Currently rereading the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson for the fifth time, so...anything Cosmere is infinitely rereadable for me.

Lately I've been itching to reread a number of books I read close to ten years ago now (The Unwind Dystology, The Themis Files, Horrorstor, Why We Broke Up, and Saga to name a few), but I just keep coming back to these. Can't help it - it's too comfortable.

Evelynn
07-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Honestly? The entire His Dark Materials trilogy. I've been obsessed with it since I was young - I'm always thinking about what daemon I would have.

lahype
09-04-2023, 06:45 PM
The only book i can read over and over is The Prophet - Khalil Gibran

fufrag
09-04-2023, 09:23 PM
Nagata Kabi's My Solo Exchange Diary series strikes a chord with me, I love anything autobiographical

monkeh
09-12-2023, 07:27 PM
My go to books are "The Giver" and "The Alchemist" even Barack Obama had this book on his must reads haha

gobblegum
12-14-2023, 05:29 PM
The Portable Dorothy Parker (she's sassy with class. I love it), Henry James, especially his book, The Portrait of a Lady. I could also reread Harry Potter. I understand JKR isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I can't deny the series is excellent and the moment I add another crease to the spine, I enter my comfort zone.

fireheart
12-27-2023, 03:41 PM
i really like the hunger games and ive read it a bunch! i really recommend the invisible life of addie larue, also the nightingale by kristin hannah.

Lolita
01-28-2024, 06:04 PM
The Lover by Marguerite Duras
Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Roaring Moon
02-22-2024, 08:34 AM
The Hunger Games is definitely one. I do also like a rather obscure book called Belle Epoque by Elizabeth Ross, of which I have a signed copy. It takes a concept in a French short story and turns it into a book, the idea of a "repoussoir" - a plain or ugly person who is paid to accompany high society attractive people to social events like balls and parties to make them look more attractive in comparison. The book itself isn't the greatest work of literature that's ever been produced, it can be cliché at times. But it just scratches this itch in my brain because one of my favorite narratives to write as a female author insecure about her own looks is female characters (both beautiful and not) who struggle with their appearances and grow to accept them.

Nyu
02-22-2024, 10:05 AM
I highly recommend all of these if you like fantasy!

The Fablehaven series! By Brandon Mull
It's about a fantasy creature reservoir.

And not sure if theres an english version cause I read them in spanish but I also liked a lot La Emperatriz de los Étereos (The Empress of the Ethereal) about a society living in caves and a kid wanting to explore the outside, and Memorias de Idhún (The Idhun Chronicles) kids get taken to another world with unicorns, dragons, gods and stuff. Both from Laura Gallego.