PDA

View Full Version : Book Reading Goals

Strangle
07-09-2020, 10:24 PM
Hi. I am a bookworm. I always have been through out childhood. Books are one of my favourite things. So I spend a lot of time reading...usually before corona threw a wench into everyones plans. But still, I love reading and I can't talk to people in my life about reading because we either don't read the same stuff or they don't read at all.

Does anyone else have a goals related to books?

I always have an amount I want to read. I've set it to 100 this year, but I am currently 8 books behind schedule. If I don't catch up by September/October, I will lower it. I don't take it too seriously (like it doesn't upset me I'm behind), but I do like to have an aim like that. I'm also trying to work on diversifying my reading a little bit.

Do you have any other goals? Such as genre goals, diverse reading goals, ratio goals etc. Do you have only long time goals or do you have a lot of short term goals? Or perhaps you have a mix.

I thought this could be a fun place where we cheer each other on and things like that. If I put a goal out there into the universe, I am more likely to stick it out.

Tyranitar
07-10-2020, 01:24 PM
Wow! That's a lot of books a year.
I'm not a reader, but I'm currently reading Harry Potter's and I'm currently at the 4th.
My goal is to read them all and hopefully read some others this year, but last year I didn't read a single one :/

Valia
07-11-2020, 09:36 AM
I feel kinda sad because I used to be in a massive bookworm in elementary/high school. I devoured our school libraries by lending pretty much 3-5 books every day and was a fast reader too.
The librarian eventually knew me and didn't need me to scan books out anymore - since I would be bringing them back the next day C':

Nowadays though... much less. I don't think I've been able to sit down and finish a book properly in my 20s. Everything is medicine/science related and I'm in that weird niche of reading more childish fantasy books or classic literature.
Hopefully I can set up a list and get through at least some books this year - the weather outside is particularly nice for reading this time of the year c:

kittyray
07-11-2020, 07:59 PM
I've set goodreads goals the past couple of years and always ended up failing even with really modest goals like one book a month (or not even that). I like reading but it's rough for me for a few different reasons. Just finished book number four of the year and my first one since lockdown started.

PrettySarcastic
07-11-2020, 09:33 PM
This is a cool idea!

Right now my only reading goal is to freakin' finish reading Dune. I was promised it's very good, I started it, and I keep forgetting to go back to it. I'm always in the middle of 80 things, I used to read all the time. Lately I only read when I'm bingeing through my favorite authors' latest release, then it's nothing until the next novel.

BTW -- You should go make an introduction post when you have time, Strangle! :)

regimes
07-14-2020, 07:55 AM
100 books!! that's a lot! i hope you can read them all :O

i've got a goal of 24 books this year (2 per month) but... i'm only 3 books in.

Oshun
07-14-2020, 08:02 AM
I'm floating in the same boat as everyone else it seems! Used to be a huge reader, finishing books I enjoyed in days. I'd love to get back into reading more and have a loose goal of reading a book a month. Just finished reading Where the Crawdads Sing and it was a slow start but worth making it through!

Right now my only reading goal is to freakin' finish reading Dune. I was promised it's very good, I started it, and I keep forgetting to go back to it.

This is the next book on my list! I just got it yesterday and have been told good things as well. I've stayed away from the movie trailer somehow so I have no idea what I'm getting into!

kjb
07-14-2020, 11:02 AM
I am trying to only read books by female authors for one whole year -- even better if they're BIPOC authors! If anyone has any under-the-radar suggestions, I'd love them. Historical fiction, fantasy, memoirs....nothing dystpian, we already live in a dystopian world, I don't need to read about it too lol

stealthbomber
07-14-2020, 02:36 PM
I thought this is neopets book topic at first lol

I always keep a book by my bed but I feel guilty cause I'm not reading as much as I want to...

Dragonair
07-16-2020, 12:34 AM
Wow! 100 books is too much to me, i try to read 1-2 per month.
But i'm not reading a lot this year, and that makes me kinda sad :~
when i was younger like 8-10 years ago i was an avid reader and i don't know why my book passion is gone :(
maybe i just don't see book sagas (which i used to read) exciting no more

Appletun
07-27-2020, 05:31 PM
i've always wanted a wall of bookshelves filled with books that i have read/plan on reading. i do have a lot of books i still need to read, but just find that i don't have much motivation to read them anymore? i love to read but just haven't felt in the mood if that makes sense. but i'd like to start reading more again.

ambrosialprey
07-30-2020, 01:59 AM
I used to be a bookworm back in highschool and gradeschool but university came along and reading just became non-essential because I had important readings (which yeah they were important but hot frick they melted my brain. I've been trying to get back into reading sadly most of my to-reads are in my apartment and I can't get to them so all I have are the books I brought/left behind at my rent's house; which kinda saddens me because I just bought a bunch of new books to read and I was looking forward to reading Kafka's works

Anaak Zahard
08-06-2020, 06:30 PM
Same here!
Been a bookworm as a kid and teenager, then real life hit me and I find myself not reading as often as before... or as often as I'd like to either.
I did however grow fond of audiobooks lately and I suppose that counts as books "read"? Sure I didn't read them but by listening, I'm still getting access to the same content, except it's a lot faster for me.
What I do is put it on 3x speed, it's a speed comfortable enough for me to understand and fast enough to force my brain to focus on what's being narrated.

Also, I realized my kind of book has now changed.
I do still love fantasy, sci-fi, exploration stories but also recently started to enjoy literature classics and business-orientated books as well. Guess that's part of being an adult.

That being said, my reading goal is 1000 books per decade.
I should probably start by making a list of what I've read the past decade though...
In fact, I'm also even thinking of writing my own fantasy book at some point!
Still only a distant dream though, and I might not even publish it after all, mostly a personal objective, something for myself :)