PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Summer Art Challenge!

Fabulous
06-13-2020, 09:09 PM
2020 Summer Art Challenge

Whether you're an accomplished artist or you can barely hold a pencil, you are invited to join the 2020 Summer Art Challenge! We're taking a leaf out of the Writing Challenge ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) to put together a chill creative activity to get us through these Trying Times™.

"But I can't art!" – yes, you can! This is a low-stress, inclusive challenge, for all skill levels and time commitments. For newer creators or those who want to take it easy, there are "fun mode" prompts. For those with more experience under their belts, "challenge mode" has conventional art challenge prompts. You can mix and match easy and hard stuff, or go all easy.

Rules & Submission Info

Rules

No need to sign up to enter this challenge - jump in whenever you like. The challenge begins today and closes on July 15th at midnight NST.

Complete as many prompts as you want in any order you like. You can also combine multiple prompts into a single submission.

Submissions should be your own work unless specified by a prompt; please link to references or asset sources if used!

Submissions must abide by the forum's rules ([Only registered and activated users can see links]).

Comments/discussion about submissions should be made on the Art Challenge Discussion Thread ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), not on individual threads, and should be supportive in nature

Any medium is allowed; traditional, digital, cake decorating, embroidery, DTI creations, photomanips, mixtapes, fanvids, Spotify playlists, ceramics, textiles, flower-arranging, etc. Do what you enjoy most, or try experimenting with something new!

You don't have to produce a masterpiece for every prompt. Doodles / simple creations are fine. This is supposed to be fun, not a burden!

How to submit

Choose your prompt & create the thing!

Decide if you want to share your submissions publicly, privately, or a mix of both. Protecting your identity comes first: if you are worried about a stylistic tell or giveaway in a given piece, submit it privately! In general, the prompts were chosen to avoid too much overlap with Neopets subject matter and will be quite different to anything you'd put in the BC.

For public submissions: if you feel comfortable sharing certain submissions publicly, post them as you go on a dedicated thread entitled "Art Challenge Submissions - " in the Graphics Competitions Forum ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

[U]For private submissions: if you wish to submit some (or all) submissions privately, post them as you go on a dedicated thread entitled "Art Challenge Submissions - [username]" in the Private Art Challenge Submission Forum ([Only registered and activated users can see links]). Submissions will be visible only to you, the mods, and me as the host. You can have both a public and private thread going at once and decide where to post each piece according to your comfort level.

The Prize

You'd join in just for the sheer pleasure of it, but how about a little incentive, too? If you complete 15 prompts by midnight NST on July 15, 2020, you will unlock this gorgeous userbar:

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Lovingly crafted by the talented Flordibel, who is also modelling the permission group font that gets unlocked with this userbar. Isn't it glorious?

FAQ

1. Can I use old creations as submissions?
No, the idea is to create things during the challenge. However, if a prompt inspires you to revisit an older creation (like repainting a piece of pottery you made years ago), that works!

2. Can I submit some things privately and some things publicly?
Yes! You can have a private and public thread going at once. Only share what you're comfortable sharing in your public thread, otherwise, go private!

3. Can I combine prompts?
YES! Combine "Japan" and "Something edible" and draw (or make) sushi! Combine "fairytale," "architecture" and "gothic" and design a dark faerie fortress! Indicate which prompts you're responding to so I can count them towards your total.

4. How do I post pictures on clraik?
Upload the image to your preferred image host (imgur.com ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) is popular) and wrap the image's url in these tags to post it on cK:

5. Are collaborations allowed?
Of course! Note that only individual submissions will count towards the 15 prompts required for the userbar, however!

6. How do I get the userbar?
Complete at least 15 prompts by midnight NST on July 15, 2020!

7. How NSFW can we get?
We are following the forum's rules on this, to wit: "Do not post any sexual or any adult-related content anywhere on the site". Tasteful nudity in a figure drawing is fine, put things in spoilers if in doubt, and use your judgement.

Fun Prompts

Interpret these however you want to in whatever medium you want! Don't even bother asking me for clarification on a prompt, the world is your oyster, my radiant pearl. Many of these are five-minute-or-less affairs. Doodles are fine.

Some prompts say "draw" but don't feel limited to traditional drawing. Do anything! If you submit a pie with a triangle cat on it, I will be overjoyed!

1. A cat, but only using triangles
2. Your favourite animal, but using your non-dominant hand (if you're perfectly ambidextrous, you get to use your feet)
3. A dinosaur, but draw it with your eyes closed
4. Make a meme, Neopets related or otherwise
5. Your clraik avatar, but make it fashion
6. A flamingo, but upside-down (you can draw the flamingo upside-down, or while you yourself are upside-down, your call)
7. Sea creatures
8. Black and white
9. "Think pink"
10. Fangs
11. Photomanip, but terrible: produce a picture of something using only pictures of something else (example: "Nothing in this picture is not Snoop Dogg ([Only registered and activated users can see links])")
12. Baby animal!
13. Australia
14. Your favourite character from whatever media, but as a bunny
15. IRL pet
16. Your theme is: pastels
17. GIANT SQUID
18. Pokemon
19. Cowboys
20. Create the flag of an imaginary country of which you are the reigning monarch
21. Your theme is: gothic
22. France
23. Something from your favourite game
24. Something edible
25. Rainbows
26. Japan
27. A place you want to visit
28. Inspirational quote spoof, complete with cheesy background, � la Instagram inspo ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
29. Fairytale
30. Free day x 3 (create anything you want up to 3 times; each instance will count as an prompt completion)

Challenge Prompts

Again, all of these prompts are wide open to interpretation. There is no prompt police. These are more conventional art challenge prompts, most of which were yoinked from the last art challenge thread. If you're looking for some warmups or wanting to practice annoying things (cough, hands) and need some inspo, try these!

1. A figure (human or animal or whatever being you'd like) using a reference (please link to reference)
2. A figure in action, using a reference (please link to reference)
3. A part of the human anatomy you have trouble with, x5
4. Quick gestures and silhouettes, x5
5. Design a character based on something generated by [Only registered and activated users can see links]
6. A study of a texture you aren't familiar with (feathers, fluff, hair, skin, fur, scales, 5 o'clock shadows, the wrinkly part of elbows – anything!)
7. A landscape of a place you've never been
8. A scene with 1pt perspective
9. A scene with 2pt perspective
10. An animal you've never drawn before
11. Draw with both hands at once. (Dual wield those pencils like the boss bitch you are)
12. Make something usually cute into something monstrous! 90 ft tall Godzilla kitten!
13. Lighting study (choose your own lightsource: blue moon? candles? magic orbs?)
14. Think of the thing you hate drawing the most. Guess what? Practice it! x5
15. Pick an object in your house/room. Now design a character based on that thing, using the shapes, forms, textures, purpose and colors as inspiration
16. Shading practice using hatching, crosshatching, and/or pointillism
17. "Coffee or tea?"
18. Colors! Pick a color palette, and paint a scene/character/object using only those colors. You can use [Only registered and activated users can see links] to generate a palette
19. A scene/object/character, but no lines allowed, only shapes
20. Architecture study
21. Flying
22. Create the floorplan of your dream home. Label the rooms and stuff, let us explore with you
23. Movement study: dance
24. Draw something without lifting your pen/pencil/stylus/piping bag/implement
25. Joy
26. A representation of yourself
27. Create something based on this Rorshach generator ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) (can be in whole or in part)
28. Something in a style you've never tried before. If emulating an artist, link us!
29. A character displaying 10 emotions/expressions
30. Create something chibified and cute out of something that's usually considered ugly (like a goblin shark) (apologies to any goblin sharks out there)

Questions? PM me ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) or post them on the discussion thread! ALL skill levels are welcome to join: if you need a pep talk, I am here to tell you how and why you are worthy of joining in. Otherwise, get creating! Can't wait to see what you come up with! <3

motherfucker
06-13-2020, 09:30 PM
I cannot wait.

My name is Yoshikage Kira
06-13-2020, 09:36 PM
This sounds like a ton of fun :D

Thank you for putting this together!

Nimue
06-13-2020, 09:38 PM
This userbar is LIFE I must acquire it. Thank you for organizing (and providing prompts for us less artistically inclined people :'D)

Hall
Oh this is gonna be a blast. :3

Mangle
whyd you have to make the userbar so pretty
like now i actually have to do it lmaoooo

Alcremie
06-13-2020, 09:41 PM
Wow, awesome! Maybe this will give me the motivation to finally do some art projects I've been wanting to do.

And that userbar *drools*

kittyray
06-13-2020, 09:42 PM
Aww, fuck yeah! This looks great, I'm really excited to make some shit!

xChoppie
06-13-2020, 10:12 PM
Woohoooo, I love that userbar!
Thank you Fabulous for this challenge and ofc Flordibel for the gorgeous userbar.
Gonna start drawing, maybe I'll get to unlock my artistic talent :o_o:

Pinecone
06-13-2020, 10:31 PM
This is a very fucking neat idea! I could get to practice some stuff while having fun while trying to get that userbar. Hell yes I'm in :D

Oshun
06-13-2020, 10:39 PM
Yeeee this is such a fun idea! I am so in :) I am a bumpkin with drawing but I will do my best!! Thank you for organizing!

Houndoom
06-13-2020, 11:50 PM
Oh oh my gosh I need this userbar. So excited to join this!

Stardust
06-14-2020, 01:04 AM
This may be just the thing I need to get over my art block. Count me in!! :) Thanks so much for organizing this!

Evangelion
06-14-2020, 01:40 AM
so excited for this one! ;-:

TsUNaMy WaVe
06-14-2020, 06:53 AM
Oooo that looks like so much fun!! And the userbar is so cute!

bootiesrus
06-14-2020, 07:21 AM
Yeeeees :o_o:

RealisticError
06-14-2020, 07:36 AM
This is a super fun idea for a contest, I'm so in...maybe I can actually make some art I'm proud of for once :P

Gato
06-14-2020, 07:54 AM
This sounds like a lot of fun, love the prompts (and that userbar omg..)
Going to try and participate, thanks!

Goddammit
06-14-2020, 09:44 AM
Oh yes I think this is just what I need to pull myself out of my art block <3

gjniev
06-14-2020, 10:54 AM
Aw, this is 100% out of my wheelhouse but I look forward to looking at everyone's creations :D

Fabulous
06-14-2020, 11:21 AM
Aw, this is 100% out of my wheelhouse but I look forward to looking at everyone's creations :D

I will be sliding into ur DMs momentarily to change this outlook

Flamingo of doom
06-14-2020, 11:25 AM
So I get this right?

I have 30 prompts. Every day I create something and when I finished 15 prompts, I have a chance for this awsome userbar?

Fabulous
06-14-2020, 11:38 AM
So I get this right?

I have 30 prompts. Every day I create something and when I finished 15 prompts, I have a chance for this awsome userbar?

You got it - with one precision, you don't have to create something daily. You have a month (until July 15th) to submit 15 things if you're going for the userbar. And creations can be simple doodles too. It's low pressure and intended to be fun, not a chore (we are all stressed enough as is!)

Hope you join and let me know if you have other questions :D

Flamingo of doom
06-14-2020, 12:00 PM
I join for sure. I have plenty of ideas and at the moment I try to improve my drawing skills.
Thank you :)

Fabulous
06-14-2020, 12:10 PM
I join for sure. I have plenty of ideas and at the moment I try to improve my drawing skills.
Thank you :)

Awesome! Btw, just noticed that you mentioned "30 prompts" in your first post, but there are actually 60 in total (30 of the easier fun ones, 30 more conventional art challengy ones). Just want to make sure you saw both lists - you can pick and choose whatever tickles your fancy from each!

Rosie
06-14-2020, 12:10 PM
I honestly wasn't going to participate since I'm not an artist by any means,

HOWEVER, being able to submit privately is a godsend. I would love to participate without fear of being made fun of for my 3rd grade style art :')

I also love that we can do music playlists, baking, sketching, whatever.

Fabulous
06-14-2020, 12:14 PM

HOWEVER, being able to submit privately is a godsend. I would love to participate without fear of being made fun of for my 3rd grade style art :')

Yes! It's art writ large:

the expression or application of creative skill and imagination

So happy you're joining!!

Erik.
06-14-2020, 02:44 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Fabulous again.

This is soooooo awesome!!! Thanks so much for creating this competition!!! ;D

kittyray
06-14-2020, 03:40 PM

I just wanna say that this is a pretty supportive community and I don't think anybody here would judge on skill level. By all means submit where you're comfortable, but I like sharing and seeing what other people do, so I wanna encourage!

Menine
06-14-2020, 04:05 PM
I'M DOING THIS

Cath
06-14-2020, 04:06 PM
I have been looking for ways to get back into drawing and this actually sounds perfect! I'll join later this week <3

Star Dream
06-14-2020, 04:56 PM
That userbar and font are both gorgeous-- I'll have to find my sketchbook and some good pencils!

wildnova
06-15-2020, 06:31 AM
I saw this thread and was kinda worried, because I am definitely not an artist, but I can totally create...something at least! This looks amazing, such a great idea for an art challenge, I feel so inspired, let's make some stuff!!! ...And that usererbar.. O_O SO CUTE!!

richardscoot
06-15-2020, 08:11 AM
Did my 15th prompt today, I love this color palette generation thing.. It gives you random idea of what to color on u drawings!

tox87
06-15-2020, 10:36 AM
Oh, I'll be getting in on this. And thank you for giving us a private thread, I'm pretty sure my art style would give me away in a minute flat.

Natalie
06-15-2020, 03:38 PM
These prompts are amazing. I’ve had artist block lately, and these are making me excited to draw again.
Will definitely be doing this! Thank you Fabulous for this great idea.

Clefairy
06-15-2020, 04:56 PM
Thank you for this! I made a cute lineless sutff thanks to this, and even though they are only doodles I'm having tons of fun.

We should totally continue to do this competitions meanwhile we are in quarantine, it helps me a lot with work stress :$

Attack
06-16-2020, 08:43 AM
Fabulous If I combine 2 prompts, does it count as 2 prompts completed?
It's showing that I don't have permission to access the Graphics Competitions Forum. What do I do ?

I've already started my drawings! That was a good excuse to practice again so thank you! c:

Fabulous
06-16-2020, 09:08 AM
Fabulous If I combine 2 prompts, does it count as 2 prompts completed?
It's showing that I don't have permission to access the Graphics Competitions Forum. What do I do ?

I've already started my drawings! That was a good excuse to practice again so thank you! c:

Hello! Yes, two prompts combined count as 2 prompts completed. Try refreshing the competitions forum and let me know if it still isn't working.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!!

Attack
06-16-2020, 09:34 AM
It's working now, thanks :)

Guil
06-16-2020, 09:51 AM
oooh i gotta hop on this

revnov
06-16-2020, 10:00 AM
Nice a whole month to plan this haha. Any prizes?

xChoppie
06-16-2020, 10:06 AM
Nice a whole month to plan this haha. Any prizes?

The userbar if you submit 15 prompts!

calbee
06-16-2020, 01:16 PM
Really nice userbar there! Gonna try this though i have no talent in drawing :P

Fabulous
06-16-2020, 01:28 PM
Really nice userbar there! Gonna try this though i have no talent in drawing :P

YAY! Join in, it can be drawing if you like, but anything else creative too - like music playlists, customizations on DTI, whatever! The fun prompts are the kind of doodles you'd do at a games night with friends so honestly, if you can hold a pencil you can totally do this. Or a mouse + MS Paint!

LexieSkye
06-16-2020, 01:29 PM
Amazing contest! Thank you so much for giving me inspiration to actually draw.
It was a lot of fun challenging myself to finding interesting ways to interpret the prompts.
I'm probably going to do some more just for fun later on.

Flordibel
06-16-2020, 02:11 PM
Oooh I would love to see them!! Or did you submit them privately? In which case I crye but totally understand LexieSkye

Ember
06-18-2020, 02:19 PM
Must. Have. Userbar...How am I just now seeing all this! Definitely going to be doing some of these. They sound so fun. Particularly drawing a dino with your eyes closed lol

curry
06-18-2020, 07:11 PM
oh my this sounds fun! i can't draw for my life but i think it'll be fun regardless *-*

LibraryFaerie
06-18-2020, 07:41 PM
Oh I am so in for this. I love the openness of it. Y'all are about to get so many Sims creations ;)

Flordibel
06-18-2020, 07:47 PM
omggg I love The Sims!!

Fabulous
06-18-2020, 09:04 PM
Oh I am so in for this. I love the openness of it. Y'all are about to get so many Sims creations ;)

omg a new mediums i hadn't even thought of! i am e x c i t e !!!!!!

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

linttastic
06-19-2020, 06:13 PM
YES! I can't wait to get going on this!! I've been practicing some drawing stuff in between my job, exercising, and online classes lol but this is really gonna help do some applied drawing! Yay!

Chambers
06-21-2020, 10:12 AM
I simply can't wait to join this!!! I have some time to kill during school break and this is just perfect. Thanks for putting this together!!
And that userbar is pretty sweet too.

Goddammit
06-22-2020, 12:02 PM
I was MIA all weekend but I'm excited to get back to drawing some stuff ^^ I love everything everyone has done so far, you should all be super proud :love_heart:

Aldrif
06-22-2020, 01:57 PM
This was fun to do at work with my post-its and blue pen lol

Furina
06-22-2020, 02:57 PM
I was MIA all weekend but I'm excited to get back to drawing some stuff ^^ I love everything everyone has done so far, you should all be super proud :love_heart:

Aha same, I think I've decided to make weekends my break days. I don't want to feel too stressed to post something everyday and I commend everyone that's posting daily!:$

Double.Trouble
06-24-2020, 02:29 PM
Definitely going to join in on this! Sounds like a ton of fun.

Dita
06-24-2020, 03:49 PM
I am really loving these prompts! Thanks so much for putting this together because it is so fun! Only 6 more to go for me :D

kittyray
07-07-2020, 01:54 AM
Fucking. Y'all

I forgot that birds (and therefore flamingo) are technically "modern feathered dinosaurs" and I missed an incredibl*e opportunity and I encourge one of you to live my dreams

*y dangerous

Tyranitar
07-07-2020, 10:55 AM
Fucking. Y'all

I forgot that birds (and therefore flamingo) are technically "modern feathered dinosaurs" and I missed an incredibl*e opportunity and I encourge one of you to live my dreams

*y dangerous

I didn't know that about birds, now I'm going to look at them very different.
You can try it in Free day prompt!
30. Free day x 3 (create anything you want up to 3 times; each instance will count as an prompt completion)

Fabulous
07-08-2020, 04:59 PM
Friendly reminder that you have one week left to finish 15 prompts & get the shiny userbar!

Carnivale
07-08-2020, 06:16 PM
Never done an art challenge before, was enjoyable to go outside my comfort zone! Thanks for having it. :)

Goddammit
07-08-2020, 11:23 PM
Friendly reminder that you have one week left to finish 15 prompts & get the shiny userbar!

Thanks for the reminder! I have a few entries I still have to get done :smilet-digitalpoint

Flamingo of doom
07-14-2020, 12:57 AM
Does gothic means the architecture/epoche or the culture?

kittyray
07-14-2020, 03:29 AM
Does gothic means the architecture/epoche or the culture?

These prompts have been pretty solidly "interpret how you best like". You could even do both!

Fabulous
07-14-2020, 06:44 AM
One day left to complete 15 prompts & get the shiny userbar! You have until July 15 at midnight NST.

Remember that you can stack up prompts to your heart's content. Get her done!!

Baelia
07-14-2020, 02:40 PM
i’m actually dumb, does that mean when it hits 12 am nst tonight or after 11:59 pm on the 15th?

NVM that would mean it would end on the 16th, this question was too dumb for life sorry

Flamingo of doom
07-14-2020, 03:59 PM
Would like to know this too, singe I live in a different time zone and I struggle with the technic to get my analog drew pictures in my thread, cause my Scanner doesnt work and the light is not good enough to take pictures

Fabulous
07-14-2020, 04:35 PM
i�m actually dumb, does that mean when it hits 12 am tonight or after 11:59 pm on the 15th?

NVM that would mean it would end on the 16th, this question was too dumb for life sorry

there are no dumb questions!! and you got it, it's until 11:59PM NST on July 15!

Would like to know this too, singe I live in a different time zone and I struggle with the technic to get my analog drew pictures in my thread, cause my Scanner doesnt work and the light is not good enough to take pictures

I'm also in a different timezone (as are many of us, I think). NST is the equivalent of US Pacific Time, so if you want to google your timezone versus US Pacific Time (or "PST"), that should give you a better idea of what time you need to submit by, in your timezone. If you're in Germany as your profile says, then that means that in your timezone, you will have until 8:59 a.m. on Thursday, July 16!

I'm sorry to hear about the technical issues. If the best you can do is photos with bad lighting, don't worry! just upload them and make sure you write down which prompt is being responded to undernearth! :) there will be plenty of time to upload clearer scans later if you want.

Sneasel
07-16-2020, 03:44 PM
Noooo, I totally missed this.
Hope there will be another one in the future.

stealthbomber
07-18-2020, 12:11 AM
same I was planning to do it but procrastinated :(

Natalie
07-18-2020, 03:53 PM
Time to go check out all the amazing entries. Congrats to the winners!