PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Extender

omg.UFOs
05-06-2020, 09:25 AM
Anyone use a Wifi Extender or know anything about them who can suggest a good one to buy? Do they even work? My internet modem is all the way in the basement and I live on the top floor apartment. I feel that my computers wifi isn't reaching very well so I tried looking around at Wifi Extenders only to get really confused and a little over whelmed at what to get..

These are all Amazon comments on one wifi extender I was looking at:

I feel like a Mug
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on May 30, 2018
Verified Purchase
Works perfectly. Holds liquids well, although not suggested for space flight or weightlessness

Love it!
Reviewed in the United States on February 20, 2015
Verified Purchase
I love these cases....I have gone through 4 of these but I do have a tendency to occasionally drop my phone. After some drops the case will start to crack or break around the edge where it holds together but the case has always protected my phone. I may be on my fourth case but I am still on my first phone so it definitely does it's job as far as I am concerned!

Thought it was a pillow, but was not! ...
Reviewed in the United States on January 7, 2017
Verified Purchase
Thought it was a pillow, but was not! I'm sure it told me that but for others who buy by picture just a heads up!

...:S With unrelated comments how am I suppose to know if its worth buying or not..

Caylen
05-06-2020, 09:39 AM
What country are you in? I would look at reviews from a retailer like Best Buy or something. I find it hilarious those reviews are on a range extender. x__x
Also, do you know the capabilities of your router? Or the model you have?

When I worked at Best Buy, most of the extenders we sold were Netgear. And the success rate of any of them are pretty variable considering, well... the variables that go into extending a WiFi signal

omg.UFOs
05-06-2020, 09:47 AM
I live in the US, I'm not sure what type of modem it is, the internet service is with cox. I'll try looking on Best Buy.

Caylen
05-06-2020, 10:03 AM
I honestly wouldn't go over something like an AC750.

Byte
05-06-2020, 11:06 AM
Going to need to know the brand of the modem/router to properly configure the wifi extenders. I really like the orbi's Netgear has personally. My folks have a ranch-style single floor house but it's huge and so we needed two extenders to get access everywhere. After buying two traditional extenders, we ended up returning them due to poor signal quality and got the orbi's which were a bit more expensive but definitely had the signal strength to support the entire household with 5-8 fire sticks, 3 tablets, and 3 mobile phones worth of wifi. Testing on tablets and phones produced about an 92% result of the ethernet cable speed so all in all, I think it's a good value.

Caylen
05-06-2020, 11:49 AM
Going to need to know the brand of the modem/router to properly configure the wifi extenders. I really like the orbi's Netgear has personally. My folks have a ranch-style single floor house but it's huge and so we needed two extenders to get access everywhere. After buying two traditional extenders, we ended up returning them due to poor signal quality and got the orbi's which were a bit more expensive but definitely had the signal strength to support the entire household with 5-8 fire sticks, 3 tablets, and 3 mobile phones worth of wifi. Testing on tablets and phones produced about an 92% result of the ethernet cable speed so all in all, I think it's a good value.

2400% if you have the budget, a whole-home wifi solution like Orbi absolutely ANNIHILATES ANY range extender!

hiddenblink
05-06-2020, 07:59 PM
2400% if you have the budget, a whole-home wifi solution like Orbi absolutely ANNIHILATES ANY range extender!

Agree. I too swear by it.

omg.UFOs
05-06-2020, 10:52 PM
Okay, I got the modem model. I was way off, It's AT&T BGW210-700 model. I guess we switched from Cox to ATT internet

motherfucker
05-07-2020, 04:55 PM
Not sure if this is available to you, but I just bought one of these and it works great:
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

omg.UFOs
05-08-2020, 03:35 AM
Its a friendly price, I'll try it out, Thank you. I hope this helps my internet issue!

omg.UFOs
05-09-2020, 03:56 PM
Not sure if this is available to you, but I just bought one of these and it works great:
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Got the same extender you suggested, so far its working great! Thank you! :D