PDA

View Full Version : Haruki Murakami

bootiesrus
02-15-2020, 07:13 PM
So, any one into Haruki Murakami? He's one of the few modern authors I've read nearly everything by. Although he is Japanese, he is also a translator and knows English, and he also reads his own English translated books - this makes me feel more secure because it seems the English translations really do him justice.

However, I find it difficult to explain why I like him so much. I think it's because he writes so casually about such weird/existential/magical topics?

If you are interested I recommend starting off with a few short stories first. My favorite short story collection by him is:
The Elephant Vanishes

it gives you a taste of his style for sure.

gjniev
02-19-2020, 03:34 PM
I had a friend beg me to read Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World which I did and enjoyed. I eventually ended up reading Kafka on the Shore, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, and 1Q84 (his best work, imo, and if someone can successfully make this into a film I'd be stunned), and Men Without Women.
I was mildly disappointed with Killing Commendatore but one out of 5 isn't bad.

I have issues with his depictions of women but that's for another thread. He's a great storyteller.

helen
03-30-2020, 07:43 AM
i read Norwegian wood in english and i liked it very much. It helped visualising the characters as manga heroes too.

hiddenblink
05-08-2020, 09:15 PM
I've recently been gifted a few of his books, which one should I read first? I've got 1Q84, Kafka on the Shore, and Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage.

katongpool
05-09-2020, 01:40 AM
I have never really gotten into Murakami but he is certainly very popular here in my country. I just saw this tweet about his books the other day that made me laugh: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

bootiesrus
05-09-2020, 01:54 AM
I've recently been gifted a few of his books, which one should I read first? I've got 1Q84, Kafka on the Shore, and Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage.

I thought 1Q84 was really good but it's terribly long so can drag on a bit. Kafka on the shore is my absolute favorite, it's very weird and fantasy/surreal which is sth I like. Colorless Tsukuru is more realistic but I also still like it.

mokavanila
05-09-2020, 02:40 AM
Oh I didn't know he does his own translations. Even though I'm not reading his books in English nor Japanese.
There are some books I was really excited about like Kafka On the Shore and some I was a bit disappointed by like Norwegian Wood. His writing kinda reminds me of 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

hiddenblink
05-09-2020, 03:05 AM
Oh I didn't know he does his own translations. Even though I'm not reading his books in English nor Japanese.
There are some books I was really excited about like Kafka On the Shore and some I was a bit disappointed by like Norwegian Wood. His writing kinda reminds me of 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Ah, I love Gabriel Garc�a M�rquez's writing! That bodes well for the next few days I'll be spending on reading some of Murakami's stuff.

What language do you read them in? :)

bootiesrus
05-09-2020, 04:13 AM

He doesn't do translations of his own books though.

gjniev
05-09-2020, 10:13 AM
I have never really gotten into Murakami but he is certainly very popular here in my country. I just saw this tweet about his books the other day that made me laugh: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Pretty much all of his work summed up, just missing cats.

mokavanila
05-09-2020, 02:02 PM
He doesn't do translations of his own books though.

Oh yeah, I misread, you said he reads his own translations :) I thought you said he translated them himself. It probably puts the translator into a weird position as if he tries to satisfy the author as well haha.

Ah, I love Gabriel Garc�a M�rquez's writing! That bodes well for the next few days I'll be spending on reading some of Murakami's stuff.

What language do you read them in? :)

I read them in Hebrew, all his books are translated.

gjniev
06-07-2020, 01:15 PM
Finally got around to this week's edition of the New Yorker and a nice surprise:

'Confessions of a Shinagawa Monkey' by Haruki Murakami ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Enjoy and anyone wants to discuss it, happy to :)