PDA

View Full Version : How are there ZERO posts in books?

soleil
02-13-2020, 07:01 PM
Hi, I'm soleil, your local bookworm. I'm currently reading "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens. It's supposed to be an amazing book but I'm only about 10% through. I got a new kindle for Christmas so I'm geeking out.

Am I really the only bookworm in all of Neopia? Hello? (Hello? Hello? Hello? echo...)

:confused-new:

Bat
02-13-2020, 07:02 PM
We only just created this forum the other day! Thanks for being the first to post to it!

soleil
02-13-2020, 07:34 PM
We only just created this forum the other day! Thanks for being the first to post to it!

Ohh, ok! Good to know! Bookworms unite :D

Menine
02-13-2020, 07:45 PM
Yayy, I'm also a bookworm! Let's use this new forum to write reviews and recommendations! I'm excited to read yours! =D

Synth Salazzle
02-13-2020, 08:02 PM
I don't do much reading and want to change that.

Anyone got any good fiction or sci-fi to recommend?

soleil
02-13-2020, 09:12 PM
Yayy, I'm also a bookworm! Let's use this new forum to write reviews and recommendations! I'm excited to read yours! =D

Would love to! I will share my thoughts on books as I finish them, if I remember hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PrettySarcastic
02-15-2020, 05:01 PM

Fiction is such a H-UUUUUUU-GE genre.

What do you like to read? Can you give examples of books you've read before and enjoyed?

As far as Sci-Fi goes, I can't speak to the novels (yet), but The Expanse on Amazon Prime is based on a series of novels and it is AMAZING. I have heard the novels it is based on are just as good. They are on my to-read list. It's a series and it's nearly finished.

They are by James S. Corey.

Courtesy of Wikipedia:

#
Title
Pages
Audio
Publication date
ISBN

Leviathan Wakes ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
20h 56m
June 15, 2011
978-0-316-12908-4 ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Caliban's War ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
21h
June 26, 2012
978-1-841-49990-1 ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Abaddon's Gate ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
19h 42m
June 4, 2013
978-0-316-12907-7 ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Cibola Burn ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
20h 7m
June 17, 2014
978-0-316-21762-0 ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Nemesis Games ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
16h 44m
June 2, 2015
978-0-316-21758-3 ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Babylon's Ashes ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
19h 58m
December 6, 2016
978-0-316-33474-7 ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Persepolis Rising ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
20h 34m
December 5, 2017
978-0-316-33283-5 ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Tiamat's Wrath ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
19h 8m
March 26, 2019
978-0-316-33286-6 ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Unnamed final novel

TBA 2020

I'm going to move on to Leviathan Wakes, but right now I'm in the middle of reading The Witcher novels, which are ALSO amazing, by the way. Strongly recommend if you like fantasy.

Alcremie
02-15-2020, 05:39 PM

I am a sci-fi fanatic haha. These are mostly old books, but here's some of what I've read and enjoyed:

The foundation series, Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, Neuromancer, Brave new world, Do androids dream of electric sheep?, 2001: A space odyssey, Childhood's end, Roadside Picnic, Starship Troopers, Contact, Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse Five, Flowers for Algernon (super sad but great), Old Man's World, the forever war.

Sci-fi I didn't like that much personally but are highly rated: Stranger in a strange world, the dispossessed, Dune, Hyperion cantos.

cute can kill
02-15-2020, 05:42 PM
I’m far from being a bookworm.. however I did read several lot of Stephen King’s books and loved them! A classic I’d say :o French literature remains my favorite, even though I don’t read much, Victor Hugo’s and Alexandre Dumas’ books are delightful. (and so many more lol but I thought I wouldn’t list them all)

Anyway English isn’t my first language which is why I would love to ask you, bookworms, if you could recommend me any easily readable books from English authors, for someone who speaks good English but not as their mother tongue?
I think I made this question complicated, but I hope you got me. Let me know if I should clarify!

soleil
02-15-2020, 06:03 PM
I�m far from being a bookworm.. however I did read several lot of Stephen King�s books and loved them! A classic I�d say :o French literature remains my favorite, even though I don�t read much, Victor Hugo�s and Alexandre Dumas� books are delightful. (and so many more lol but I thought I wouldn�t list them all)

Anyway English isn�t my first language which is why I would love to ask you, bookworms, if you could recommend me any easily readable books from English authors, for someone who speaks good English but not as their mother tongue?
I think I made this question complicated, but I hope you got me. Let me know if I should clarify!

Is French your first language?

Dr. Acula
02-15-2020, 06:25 PM

I am a sci-fi fanatic haha. These are mostly old books, but here's some of what I've read and enjoyed:

The foundation series, Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, Neuromancer, Brave new world, Do androids dream of electric sheep?, 2001: A space odyssey, Childhood's end, Roadside Picnic, Starship Troopers, Contact, Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse Five, Flowers for Algernon (super sad but great), Old Man's World, the forever war.

Sci-fi I didn't like that much personally but are highly rated: Stranger in a strange world, the dispossessed, Dune, Hyperion cantos.

See I loved Dune and Stranger in a Strange World. Another Robert A. Heinlen book I enjoyed was The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and you may have to pick through them because the set has many different authors, but there are many wonderful Star Wars books, which, as fan of the movies, filled the gaps of time between them in the Star Wars universe. Contact is fantastic, as is Brave New World!

Stranger in a Strange World is what I started with back in the day, and it's what got me interested in Sci-Fi. It's a light read compared to say, Dune, and I highly recommend it, along with the many, many Star Wars books.

On another note, has anyone read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace? It's a hefty read that I'm soon going to attempt to tackle.

Alcremie
02-15-2020, 06:53 PM
See I loved Dune and Stranger in a Strange World. Another Robert A. Heinlen book I enjoyed was The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and you may have to pick through them because the set has many different authors, but there are many wonderful Star Wars books, which, as fan of the movies, filled the gaps of time between them in the Star Wars universe. Contact is fantastic, as is Brave New World!

Stranger in a Strange World is what I started with back in the day, and it's what got me interested in Sci-Fi. It's a light read compared to say, Dune, and I highly recommend it, along with the many, many Star Wars books.

On another note, has anyone read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace? It's a hefty read that I'm soon going to attempt to tackle.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is another book I didn't like much but it is very well liked in general. Worth a read for any sci-fi fan. Star Wars ones are great.

I have read Infinite Jest, it was interesting. Just make sure you have enough time to take it all in. Footnotes galore!

Dr. Acula
02-15-2020, 08:54 PM
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is another book I didn't like much but it is very well liked in general. Worth a read for any sci-fi fan. Star Wars ones are great.

I have read Infinite Jest, it was interesting. Just make sure you have enough time to take it all in. Footnotes galore!

Yeah, I'm thinking it'll be a "read in short bursts" kinda book, but I'm excited to behold Wallace's deep vocabulary.

txtsd
02-16-2020, 12:09 AM
I've been reading the Drizzt series within the Forgotten Realms series and setting. Because D&D.

cute can kill
02-16-2020, 08:14 AM
Is French your first language?

Yes it is!

soleil
02-16-2020, 01:03 PM
Yes it is!

Le fran�ais n�est pas ma langue maternelle mais j�aime bien la litt�rature fran�aise aussi ! Tu aimerais peut-�tre The Great Gatsby de Fitzgerald ou quelque chose de Hemingway? Hemingway a pass� �norm�ment du temps � Paris, tu le savais? J�ai lu The Old Man and the Sea il y a deux ans et le langage est assez directe - pas beaucoup de langage figuratif ou inaccessible pour un apprenant. Et il y a toujours Harry Potter hehe :) courage xx

Flordibel
02-16-2020, 05:48 PM
I just read "Red Rising," and it was awesome!

Lolaloveloki
02-16-2020, 10:03 PM
Fiction is such a H-UUUUUUU-GE genre.

What do you like to read? Can you give examples of books you've read before and enjoyed?

As far as Sci-Fi goes, I can't speak to the novels (yet), but The Expanse on Amazon Prime is based on a series of novels and it is AMAZING. I have heard the novels it is based on are just as good. They are on my to-read list. It's a series and it's nearly finished.

They are by James S. Corey.

Courtesy of Wikipedia:

#
Title
Pages
Audio
Publication date
ISBN

Leviathan Wakes ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
20h 56m
June 15, 2011
978-0-316-12908-4 ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Caliban's War ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
21h
June 26, 2012
978-1-841-49990-1 ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Abaddon's Gate ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
19h 42m
June 4, 2013
978-0-316-12907-7 ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Cibola Burn ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
20h 7m
June 17, 2014
978-0-316-21762-0 ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Nemesis Games ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
16h 44m
June 2, 2015
978-0-316-21758-3 ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Babylon's Ashes ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
19h 58m
December 6, 2016
978-0-316-33474-7 ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Persepolis Rising ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
20h 34m
December 5, 2017
978-0-316-33283-5 ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Tiamat's Wrath ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
19h 8m
March 26, 2019
978-0-316-33286-6 ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Unnamed final novel

TBA 2020

I'm going to move on to Leviathan Wakes, but right now I'm in the middle of reading The Witcher novels, which are ALSO amazing, by the way. Strongly recommend if you like fantasy.

Damn thanks for this recommendation!

Yes it is!
Oh, tu parles fran�ais! Moi aussi! :$

Le fran�ais n’est pas ma langue maternelle mais j’aime bien la litt�rature fran�aise aussi ! Tu aimerais peut-�tre The Great Gatsby de Fitzgerald ou quelque chose de Hemingway? Hemingway a pass� �norm�ment du temps � Paris, tu le savais? J’ai lu The Old Man and the Sea il y a deux ans et le langage est assez directe - pas beaucoup de langage figuratif ou inaccessible pour un apprenant. Et il y a toujours Harry Potter hehe :) courage xx

Wow tu �cris bien! Bravo lovelove

My recommendations
I really love Jules Verne's Voyage au centre de la Terre (Journey to the Center of the Earth), Tour du monde en quatre-vingts jours (Around the World in Eighty Days) are my favorites!
I also recommend Amelie Nothomb Hygi�ne de l'assassin (Hygiene and the Assassin) & Mercure
Markus Zusak The Book Thief
Steven Gould Jumper

Will maybe edit my post if I remember other recommendations.

Achyfi
02-18-2020, 06:19 PM
Love that there's a book section now! <3 Just finished The Chanur Saga and am looking for recommendations along the same lines...

Anybody have any sci-fi/fantasy recommendations that feature other planets run by non-great ape descendants? Also, books about first contact that aren't super serious (are there any funny books about first contact you can recommend?), because I could use the humor...

Pitoruke
02-19-2020, 03:24 PM
I just read "Red Rising," and it was awesome!

It's such a great book! What did you enjoy the most?

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Anybody have any sci-fi/fantasy recommendations that feature other planets run by non-great ape descendants? Also, books about first contact that aren't super serious (are there any funny books about first contact you can recommend?), because I could use the humor...

Well Douglas Adams with 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' is the first person that comes to mind when you combine sci-fi with humor.

gjniev
02-19-2020, 03:26 PM
Yes, loved them all so much I made it my day job (thanks, library school).

I am currently reading "My Sister, the Serial Killer" by Oyinkan Braithwaite. It's a wonderful debut novel by a breakout author, excited to read whatever else she writes.

Anyway, I try to read a new book a week but I am not always successful. If anyone has any good nonfiction titles to recommend, please post, I love adding titles to my 'to do' list :)

gjniev
02-20-2020, 10:36 AM
Ok, I managed my goal this week, yay me.

Started 'Amnesty' by Aravind Adiga this morning - so far, so good.

Arcaria
02-20-2020, 02:58 PM
gjniev your range in books is pretty crazy! Usually I'll go on genre benders where I'm stuck on murder mysteries or stories of triumph. You seem to just jump everywhere, I love it!

I'm currently reading Defending Jacob and the last book that I read was The Institute :)

gjniev
02-20-2020, 04:12 PM
Arcaria oh, I love a good crime drama. I'm curious about the adaption of that but I don't have Apple TV to watch it :P Have you read The Silent Patient, by any chance?
& do you like true crime titles as well? Some of those get quite heavy, so I can't read too many of those back to back.

I like going between literary fiction and nonfiction, and of course, popular titles of both.

gjniev
02-27-2020, 07:14 PM
Wow, I met my goal this week *pats self on back*
(Highly recommend 'Asylum' - well constructed, hard not to fall down the rabbit hole with the protagonist, great stuff)

On to: 'I Know You Know Who I Am' by Peter Kispert
I don't usually read short story collections (Flannery O'Connor & Michael Cunningham ruined them all for me tbh) but this looks promising.

I still want to know what everyone is reading this week :D

gjniev
03-06-2020, 09:21 PM
The Kispert collection was good, not great. Compelling stories but I really want to see him write a full novel. Will be waiting :)

Now, this week: 'Apeirogon' by Colum McCann
Curious about this one and ready to have my heart broken.

Dracula
03-09-2020, 04:40 PM
omg we have a Books section!!

You guys are definitely more bookish than me, but the last favorite book I read was Sadie by Courtney Summers. It's a fictional "true crime" narrative that alternates between the missing girl and the podcast that tries to find her (kind of like Serial)

MKM
03-16-2020, 08:59 PM
Who doesn't like books, right? They saved me.
There isn't a day that I don't read. Sadly, on busy days, I can only grasp a chapter of a manga, tho. :(
I am currently reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

Wrote down some of the books you are reading to read them later. Thank you :D

helen
03-21-2020, 01:11 PM
i'm a bookworm myself too!:) We have a lot of free time in our hands currently where i live because we are in lock down. i'm currently reading my brilliant friend by elena ferrante. It's the first book of a series of 4 books so far i love it and i'm planning to read the whole series.

gjniev
04-09-2020, 05:17 PM
You'd think I'd have more time to read in these times but no... messed up my reading schedule, I miss my commute for this reason alone. Starting 'Red at the Bone' by Jacqueline Woodson tonight, should be good.