PDA

View Full Version : Reminiscing...When did Gaia die?

nightlife
01-30-2020, 04:37 AM
Oh, when did Gaia die? It used to be my favourite past time. When did it all go?
2015? I don't know when I stopped properly playing...2009? and then kept my account going until I completely forgot all my logon details.
Does anyone even still use the site? I never even see anyone selling anything worthwhile anymore.

I guess it's dead for good now. I miss it so much.

I used to be part of the profile design community with selling profiles and all with a shop on the forums.
It was better than neopets at one point until it became stagnant. :(

rosieb
01-30-2020, 12:06 PM
I still play D:

Ariealle
01-30-2020, 12:27 PM
I go on once in a while
There is one item I really want but it's like 60k+ GC and the amount of platinum I have is just.. nothing in comparison.

I miss when it was lively and fun but I never had the time to make gold/actually knew how. I have a ton of monthly collectibles from 2009-2011 (I think), but it's still not worth much and no one wants to buy, no matter the discount.

It was good. I can say that. And lots of fun customizing.

rosieb
01-30-2020, 02:09 PM
Ariealle I'll buy :$

bottlebum
02-04-2020, 09:13 PM
Oh wow, I havent played this game in forever and now I am going to make a new account.

helen
03-19-2020, 10:56 AM
i remember playing this game along with neopets. i haven't played in over a decade and i heard it's not worth it to play any more due to inflation

Ked
03-28-2020, 09:57 PM
I remember items inflating like crazy and I believe they ended up changing the currency if i'm not mistaken.

deMorphine
04-30-2020, 01:29 AM
The inflation still occurs, but I hop on sometimes to check on my current item prices. It was huge almost a decade ago. I would assume it was due to mismanagement. They even took out zOMG at one point I believe.

Carnivale
07-07-2020, 09:28 PM
I think with the rise & fall of forum based websites as IM and social media emerged, along with bad management, it was kind of doomed. I spent countless hours on gaia back in the 00's, and I still prefer forums over anything else, but what can you do with the times changing. :(

My name is Yoshikage Kira
07-10-2020, 10:17 AM
Not sure when it died, but I loved playing back in 2008-2010. Actually stopped playing neo to go on gaia. I still login from time to time to cringe at the shit I said as a teen and hoping that the friends I made on there may login to chat :(

Ariealle
07-10-2020, 10:26 AM
Not sure when it died, but I loved playing back in 2008-2010. Actually stopped playing neo to go on gaia. I still login from time to time to cringe at the shit I said as a teen and hoping that the friends I made on there may login to chat :(

I do that sometimes as well. I'll post on their profile or send a PM to see if maybe, just maybe, someone logs in and actually remembers me :( in regards to cringe, my profile looked like that of a myspace or "friendpages" website. i only defaulted it this past year, thank god. think i'm gonna login now just to see if I can buy the item I want on my wish list :o_o:

EDIT: I bought the item on my wish list.

usagi-sama
08-01-2020, 10:55 AM
Oh man it has been years since I logged into my gaia account. I remember my guild, it was the best. :)

Weeb
08-28-2020, 11:55 AM
It died quite a few years ago now.. I log in every now and then but it's not the same anymore.

Basilclover
09-01-2020, 10:26 AM
Even if the gold gens didn't kill gaia it owuld have probably naturally died with the end of the era.

sambo
09-26-2020, 08:14 PM
They sold out and destroyed the market themselves, Gaia was a game that had potential.

I was a long time gaia online player and accumulated an insane amount of money. I didn't like the community very much because a loooott of the people were absolutely nuts, like PCers but on crack. I got a low-ball offer on a very expensive item and got into an argument with a well known person on the forums. Same day I got banned for RWT. Imagine playing legit for years only to get banned for not selling an item cheap to a known person. Honestly if I had known that she had mods in her inner circle beforehand, I would have sold the item for cheap.

Now I'm back on Neopets, far better IMO.

Guil
10-12-2020, 09:50 AM
i just checked back in on gaia after i watched this video, which also is a really interesting breakdown of the history of how things got so crazy

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

it felt cathartic to delete all my cringey old RPs and giveaway all my stuff

PrettyPink
11-18-2021, 06:34 AM
I still log in from time to time, but yes it pretty much died once the gold bots came in. It used to be so fun back then. :(

mixednuts
12-09-2021, 05:09 PM
man i MISS gaia. i used to be apart of the breedables crowd and draw tons of different pets and stuff and help run those shops. :( i miss that shit so bad it was so fun. it was always full of drama and a bunch of 15 year olds at anothers throats but it was like..running your own mini petsites

pillowfighter
06-19-2022, 11:25 PM
I totally didn't realize there was a place here to talk about gaia! Its still up and going and I think everyone who still plays just talks about how we all can't believe its still somehow running.
The only way to get good items anymore is to pay for them when they're in the shop and the best way to earn gold(/plat)is to buy items you think will resell for a proper penny. It's rough.

Serebii
06-20-2022, 04:46 AM
I totally didn't realize there was a place here to talk about gaia! Its still up and going and I think everyone who still plays just talks about how we all can't believe its still somehow running.
The only way to get good items anymore is to pay for them when they're in the shop and the best way to earn gold(/plat)is to buy items you think will resell for a proper penny. It's rough.

It's pretty impossible to get gold/platinum anymore just by being active on the site. You basically have to dump actual money in to the various gacha type item releases they put out monthly. :(

I went back somewhat recently to see how things were since like most people I was surprised to see the site still going and it was disappointing to say the least. Though I may also just be older and somewhat blinded by nostalgia.

Rattata
06-20-2022, 04:49 AM
GOD i used to log onto that site and just play puzzles all day

good times

Tater
06-20-2022, 02:11 PM
Oh wow! Yeah I just recently logged back into mine and explored for a little bit but hardly ever get on.
I was OBSESSED with puzzles an fishing!

Hollow
06-20-2022, 04:06 PM
Holy moly I remember Gaia! I had never really delved into it as much though, I was a lot more invested in TinierMe (if anyone remembers that?) which was pretty similar to Gaia at the time. I miss those online avatar websites ;O; People had some amazing customisations on their little Gaia avatars.

Tater
06-21-2022, 04:11 PM
I used Tinierme for awhile! I feel like I used Gaia more, didnt Gaia have some side project sites that failed pretty early on in their release?
It's had to have been several years now, I don't remember much about it, except that as quick as it appeared it was shut down.

Hollow
06-21-2022, 06:34 PM
TinierMe was around for a while, I believe it was released in Japan first then It was released to the rest of the world after, but correct me if Im wrong! I can't remember the exact reasoning as to why it shut down, but it was super popular. I had so many awesome wearables that I spent hours trying to trade and get from their gachas ;O;

sanrio
06-21-2022, 08:36 PM
Ohhh! Gaiaonline was my introduction gateway to selling art commissions for rlc. The art and graphics shops were such heavy flow of inspiration for me back then. I have very fond memories drawing super cute avatars and original characters ^-^

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

The pet battling thing was fun for a bit too!

A mobile game called CocoppaPlay (currently still around) uses TinierMe art/graphics. It's similar to TinierMe in the dress up sense but is a completely different game overall with it's features. It's super pretty and cute but def would not recommend it to anyone especially those who easily fall into gambling addictions :distrust:

pillowfighter
06-22-2022, 12:25 AM
It's pretty impossible to get gold/platinum anymore just by being active on the site. You basically have to dump actual money in to the various gacha type item releases they put out monthly. :(

I went back somewhat recently to see how things were since like most people I was surprised to see the site still going and it was disappointing to say the least. Though I may also just be older and somewhat blinded by nostalgia.

Yeah it’s so rough. :/ at the same time though, a little part of me wishes neopets would sort of implement some of the same things gaia does with their wearables to NC
They have a feature where you can pay to basically recolor an item in a scheme you—and usually a few other users you calibrate with, choose and it’s so cool. I’d love for them to do stuff like that with Dyeworks!

I still log on semi frequently and was quite surprised at how many people on my friends list still go on! It’s so nice still to see so many art shops too. 🥺

Serebii
06-22-2022, 12:43 AM
Yeah it’s so rough. :/ at the same time though, a little part of me wishes neopets would sort of implement some of the same things gaia does with their wearables to NC
They have a feature where you can pay to basically recolor an item in a scheme you—and usually a few other users you calibrate with, choose and it’s so cool. I’d love for them to do stuff like that with Dyeworks!

Changing the dyeworks to something akin to Gaia's current system would be an absolute dream. I remember a few projects to remake specific items certain colorschemes on Gaia and how they were successful and it made me wish TNT would do the same thing for NC wearables. Especially stuff like contacts or accessories.