PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still collect pokemon cards?

housez
01-17-2020, 07:25 AM
I cannot find my collection for the life of me at my moms but I do know I didnt have everything.

I want to own just the original 151 but didnt realize how difficult it would be.

Not sure if I am in the right place but if anyone has any advice on where to look online or even stores I should look into that won't charge me $60,000 for a 1st edition charizard base set that would be great lol x.x

Or if anyone has the set that they are selling too let me know :) I know its a pricey one.

Same for any snorlax or dragonite cards from any of the booster sets :D

Guap
01-17-2020, 08:19 AM
I cannot find my collection for the life of me at my moms but I do know I didnt have everything.

I want to own just the original 151 but didnt realize how difficult it would be.

Not sure if I am in the right place but if anyone has any advice on where to look online or even stores I should look into that won't charge me $60,000 for a 1st edition charizard base set that would be great lol x.x

Or if anyone has the set that they are selling too let me know :) I know its a pricey one.

Same for any snorlax or dragonite cards from any of the booster sets :D

I do have some hollo and other cards! do you have a list of what you need

Pidgey
01-17-2020, 08:26 AM
I have about $3000 in gen 1 cards. I started my collection when I was a kid and added to it recently.

I picked up most of my cards on Ebay or Facebook Market Place and paid to have them shipped. Facebook you have to be careful.

To get the cheaper cards there is a site trollandtoad. It's pretty fairly priced. Otherwise Ebay.

housez
01-17-2020, 11:14 AM
I do have some hollo and other cards! do you have a list of what you need

I need all of them!

And Azurill thanks for that! Yea I see trol and toad was a good alternative to eBay but I forgot about fb marketplace!

Ty

Bat
01-17-2020, 11:27 AM
I completed the original 151 collection by obsessively trading and buying the cards when I was a kid, but I always wanted to have a mint condition collection. I bought a bunch of sealed booster boxes off eBay a few years ago and opened some of them in order to re-complete the set. I only handled the cards with sterile cloth gloves on, and each card is sealed in a plastic sleeve. The rares are double-sealed and stored in a hard-back plastic sleeve to reinforce them. My childhood dream-come-true.

housez
01-17-2020, 11:32 AM
I completed the original 151 collection by obsessively trading and buying the cards when I was a kid, but I always wanted to have a mint condition collection. I bought a bunch of sealed booster boxes off eBay a few years ago and opened some of them in order to re-complete the set. I only handled the cards with sterile cloth gloves on, and each card is sealed in a plastic sleeve. The rares are double-sealed and stored in a hard-back plastic sleeve to reinforce them. My childhood dream-come-true.

I WISH I could open one of the old booster packs. Each one is like 145$

Bat
01-17-2020, 11:38 AM
I WISH I could open one of the old booster packs. Each one is like 145$

They've definitely gotten more expensive in the past few years. The most expensive booster box seems to be the base set, and it was only around $500-600 at the time.

Tiny Cookie
01-17-2020, 11:56 AM
You could also try tcgplayer. That is one of the cheapest websites imo.

JotaDE
01-17-2020, 02:19 PM
Collect no, but occasionally I buy some sporadic envelope. From the first collections I have several letters, although I never completed any of Pok�mon.

It will sound strange, but I recommend YouTube, many collectors open envelopes there, even from old packages, and put the places where they bought them.

housez
01-17-2020, 02:30 PM
Collect no, but occasionally I buy some sporadic envelope. From the first collections I have several letters, although I never completed any of Pok�mon.

It will sound strange, but I recommend YouTube, many collectors open envelopes there, even from old packages, and put the places where they bought them.

hmm never heard of that but Ill check it out.

just got outbidded for a damn entire set of the fossil expansion. so annoyed right now haha.
I just wanted all the holos between the first 3 expansions+ the other commons to make up the 150. I was hoping to spend less than 500$ but that doesnt seem like a thing where i am looking at.

Guap
01-18-2020, 01:29 AM
I need all of them!

And Azurill thanks for that! Yea I see trol and toad was a good alternative to eBay but I forgot about fb marketplace!

Ty

Sent you a PM reply about it :) Will check and compile to see which ones I have left :)

Ghast
01-18-2020, 02:13 AM
I really need to take a look at mine (step one would be finding them...), it's been ages. I remember a point in time at which I was interested in looking up their prices, but I can't for the life of me remember if I noticed anything of worth

lollageee
01-21-2020, 12:00 PM
I still have my collection (stored in a box somewhere...), but out of curiosity does anyone know how to actually play the game itself? When I was like 4 years old and collecting the cards that game was way over my head, but looking back on it now I'm definitely curious about all the numbers and stuff on the cards...

Synth Salazzle
01-21-2020, 10:43 PM
I play online and the physical card game both.

I love the TGC. Only recently got into it though.

housez
01-22-2020, 12:25 AM
I still have my collection (stored in a box somewhere...), but out of curiosity does anyone know how to actually play the game itself? When I was like 4 years old and collecting the cards that game was way over my head, but looking back on it now I'm definitely curious about all the numbers and stuff on the cards...

lmaoo i dont know how to play the game. I just love love love the artwork on the cards.

All i am missing is a charizard right now from base set expansion but its so pricey. hoping to find someone for 40$

lollageee
01-22-2020, 11:02 AM
lmaoo i dont know how to play the game. I just love love love the artwork on the cards.

All i am missing is a charizard right now from base set expansion but its so pricey. hoping to find someone for 40$

$40 isn't too bad at least so there should be a chance, I know some MTG cards going for a few hundred (and then there's the famous one that sold for like $50000 lol)

bottlebum
02-04-2020, 09:50 PM
Not sure as of now but McDonald does have Hollo/shiny cards in the toy packs. Ended up getting Eevee, Caterpie, Ghastly, and mankey I thought the Pokemon toys would have the same cards as the pokemon given in the balls but they are all different.

housez
02-05-2020, 01:47 PM
Not sure as of now but McDonald does have Hollo/shiny cards in the toy packs. Ended up getting Eevee, Caterpie, Ghastly, and mankey I thought the Pokemon toys would have the same cards as the pokemon given in the balls but they are all different.

oh thats awesome! i forgot the mcdonalds promos!

update: just finished the 151 from base/jungle/fossil! and almost finished the TOPPS/Rocket/Gym Heroes/Gym Challenge Expansion. I need about 12 holos left and about 12 topps cards to complete and then i can move to the neo series :D

Dreams
03-03-2020, 12:03 AM
oh thats awesome! i forgot the mcdonalds promos!

update: just finished the 151 from base/jungle/fossil! and almost finished the TOPPS/Rocket/Gym Heroes/Gym Challenge Expansion. I need about 12 holos left and about 12 topps cards to complete and then i can move to the neo series :D

I know you did this three weeks ago, but you make me want to collect again the original ones lol. So pricey though. I remember the good old days

Khloe
03-03-2020, 10:08 PM
I haven't collected cards in ages, the last packs I got were free from buying a ticket to the UK showing of the Power of Us - all five are still sealed in storage. Mainly cause my collection is still in the States, and now with 7+ gens.. I have a hard enough time with the newest ones in Pogo, would be a nightmare trying to collect the newest cards.

Also have an unopened Erika booster box. and think still have the unopened box of cards from the 1st movie - bought them when Kmart was going out of business and well, just didn't want to open them incase they came worth something down the road. Also had a holo Charizard, hoping it's still in my binder - my dad wanted to sell the collection so I don't know if the cards are still over there or what condition they are in since they were left in the attic of a family member's garage in plastic boxes for safe keeping.

Calisto
02-21-2021, 05:26 PM
I recently started collecting again after playing Pokemon Sword.

I am so upset that my original collection is lost. I believe I left it with an ex-boyfriend about 10 years ago so doubtful that I would ever be able to get my hands on them again. :(

It is nearly impossible to find booster packs to purchase, but when I do see them I buy what I can. (They usually limit you.)

I would love to recollect the original 151, but it seems really expensive and I have heard you have to be careful purchasing online due to the amount of fakes out there.

Pidgey
02-21-2021, 06:26 PM
Jungle Set seem to have alot fakes right now. Just found 3.

I have some Complete sets:
Base set.
Nearly complete Shadowless Set.
1st Edition Jungle Complete
1st Edition fossil mostly complete.

These are 3 fakes:
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

I had no idea they were fake until I saw a video where you hold up a light to the card and see if you can see through it.
Real cards have a middle print layer so they aren't as easy to see through.

At first glance you can see the color is off just a little. The picture and font is slightly fuzzy, and the Jungle symbol is printed too close to the yellow border on all of them.
If that weren't enough the light test shows they are fakes.

Real Nidoqueen

Fake Wigglytuff

Same light just the amount of light coming through the fake card changes.

motherfucker
02-22-2021, 01:06 PM
Walmart has actually been selling some fakes.
They come as compilation packs, mixed packs with Pokemon branding, but they do look a little off. I bought a few packs to supplement collections and ended up returning all of them after they were opened. I reported it to them, but I don't think they took them off the shelf.

They're not in blister packs, but repackaged plastic/cardboard.

housez
02-22-2021, 11:57 PM
Have any of you gotten any luck with shining fates? trying to find product lately is terrible with everyone trying to scalp.

if yall have some for sale though id love to take a looK!

RealisticError
02-23-2021, 12:29 AM
Shining fates got pushed back in Australia, they're not out for almost a month -.-