PDA

View Full Version : An Updated Guide to getting your account unfrozen / a password reset

Stardew
03-15-2019, 03:04 PM
The ticket system has once again changed! I (sadly) have a lot of experience with the new ticket system, and the good news is it's a lot easier. It's way easier to get an account unfrozen that has been frozen for ages, too!

So, what to do to get your account back?

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Make sure the account you're emailing about still exists! Look it up to check if it wasn't purged if it was frozen long ago.

Note down the following information in your email:
- the username of the account you're writing about. It's amusing how often this is forgotten.
- the original email that the account was created with, or the first email associated with the account. Bonus points for emailing support from that original email.
- birthday for the account
- current / other emails that have been associated with the account
- NC transaction logs (which you can find by logging in here ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), yes this works even with a frozen account if you have the password still!)
- zip code / city the account was made in (For the US only). It seems they ask this mainly if the email you're contacting them with isn't the same as the original email. If you don't know the location, having enough other details about the accounts should help.
Don't include the location where the account was made right away, wait for them to ask. It might prolong to process, but it will make you seem more innocent in the long-run. If you submit it right away, they can tell that you know they would ask for it, which could potentially be incriminating. If you need help finding the original location an account was set up under, it's usually very easy to locate, especially if the account is an older account. (PM DrSloth)

The original email and the birthday are the most important. Without those, it's very difficult to get a password reset or to get your account unfrozen. This is why I recommend keeping track of all of this information for all your accounts!
You can ask support for help if you have trouble remembering the email. They will provide the first letter and domain name when asked (if they're in a good mood)

Knowing which items in are in the SDB, which avatars you have etc. also helps, but it's not really necessary.

Please be aware that in some cases, the account will be unfrozen but they might take away items, collections, or unconvert your pets. This seems to happen mainly if they're very suspicious about cheating or when they can't confirm if you're truly the original owner of the account. Tony in particular is notorious for restoring accounts taking away things or converting pets.

Do's:
- Write a friendly, confused & clueless email inquiring about your account, ask why you got frozen / why you can't log in, etc, then give them the info listed above.
- Post the ticket number that you receive as reply to your email on the "Highway to Help" board that will be listed here ([Only registered and activated users can see links]). This will give your ticket priority. TNT checks this board frequently to make sure all listed tickets are replied to or assigned to someone. Sometimes they will freeze the account that posted the ticket number, though, so make sure it's not an account you care about just to be safe. You can pretend the shell is posting for a "friend". Happens all the time.
- Post the ticket number on their social media, for example as a reply to their Facebook posts, on their tweets, or on Instagram.
- Always let them tell you the reason / information about why you got frozen. Let them tell you what they suspect. Never mention anything about your suspicions, never call an item you own illegit or hint at having done anything wrong.
- Have believable stories in case they ask you about a pet or item. The "my long time friend gifted me x" story works the best, as well as "I got hacked." (in certain situations only).
- Ask for Alice in a new ticket if you're having trouble with another TNT staff member. Alice is generally helpful.
- If you have a UC pet on a frozen account that you'd like to keep, don't let Tony handle your tickets. He's notorious for converting pets before handing the account back. According to Cybun, he only converts pet if he's sure you cheated. Tickets like that, I would immediately address to Alice. (but this doesn't always work, sadly)
- If the account was frozen in the past due to suspicious activity, bring up the possibility of "that database leak that you heard of". TNT doesn't like to talk about it or acknowledge it, so they will quickly deal with the problem.

Don'ts:
- Do not ever admit to cheating, buying an item, pet, or anything like that. Better yet, don't even mention the word cheating. Cheating? On Neopets dot com? No one does that right? :P
- Don't be impolite or impatient. This should be a given! TNT are way more helpful as response to friendly inquiries as opposed to demands.
- Never out a fellow cheater or refund a transaction. This only hurts our community and makes trading unsafe for all of us.

If TNT is 100% sure you cheated they'll keep changing their demands, this will be an obvious sign that they won't unfreeze. If they caught you red-handed, it's better to just cut your losses and start over, cheat harder!

----

On Hiring services to retrieve a lost or frozen account

The best place to find help from someone who is experienced with the ticket system is by going to the Neopets Services ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) part of our forum. Be sure to read all the guides and rules about trading and the iTrader system first!

Once you have done that, you are free to make a new thread to ask for help. Don't be too specific in your request, don't mention any account details including the reason why you got frozen. (TNT does read our forum sometimes) Do mention the specifics of what you need (for example, that you need someone who has successfully had their account unfrozen before who can help you navigate the ticket system for your account, if you're willing to offer payment for that or not, etc.)

From there on you would take the conversation to PMs. Please be cautious! Only share the reason why your account got frozen, and specific details of the situation with a trusted individual from the forums! You can check their iTrader, their post history, etc to verify their standing on the forum. Never share anything that makes anyone be able to run off with your account. No specific passwords, PINs, emails, location(s), or (user)names. This is about sharing advice for what to say and do for your tickets, not to have someone send the emails for you with all your information in them. Then, hopefully some trusted individual(s) would be able to help you with more specific advice for your situation!

----

Last ditch effort to get your account back when they're sure you bought items / pets:

One of you lovely people messaged me detailing a method to get back your account if TNT is sure you bought items or pets. It's a long con which takes several weeks or months, involving faked Paypal transactions, outing a fake "seller" Paypal and email, etc. It's definitely not for the faint of heart because it requires consistent lying and a lot of effort. This deal (with TNT) would very likely unconvert any pets on the account and remove any valuables as well. There's no guarantee Tony or any other staffer would give back your account, but it worked for one of our members. If you're willing to do this, PM me and I will give you info on how to do it. Please only PM if you're sure you can handle it. :)

Good luck getting your account(s) back! :) If anyone has any questions please PM me or ask it here.

Stocking Anarchy
03-15-2019, 09:49 PM
You can choose who answers your ticket? What is this magic that you speak of? Do you ask for alice in the subject of the email or body? or just write the ticket out and ask for alice on the help ticket board?

Lenars
03-15-2019, 11:49 PM
Wouldn't it be more suspicious to specifically ask for Alice?

What if Tony P sees the abundant of people asking for Alice that he starts helping her out?

Stardew
03-16-2019, 04:10 AM
Wouldn't it be more suspicious to specifically ask for Alice?

What if Tony P sees the abundant of people asking for Alice that he starts helping her out?Alice has a reputation of being helpful, so no I doubt it would be.

Maybe she could get too many but there's already a huge backlog anyway. Some people wait for a response to a ticket for weeks, months, and never get one. That's why the highway to help is so great. Priority etc.

I would definitely not recommend to always ask for her if you make more than one tickets but it has been fine for me and others. Use it at your own discretion if you're worried?

Also, Tony P and other staffers are known to be helpful as well, sometimes. He's just usually stricter.

I've got Alice by just posting on the highway to help board though so it's not like it's necessary to always ask for her. :)

You can choose who answers your ticket? What is this magic that you speak of? Do you ask for alice in the subject of the email or body? or just write the ticket out and ask for alice on the help ticket board?Either subject or body is possible. You could also say something like 'my friend said Alice had been very helpful for them' or 'when I asked how to make a ticket I've heard Alice has helped a lot of people' and ask for her to handle your ticket. :)
For follow-up tickets for any account, you can also ask a specific person to ask to handle it.

Cybun
03-16-2019, 05:45 AM
Tony only converts your UCs if hes sure you've cheated, he unfroze 2 accounts for me without converting the super high end UCs in them, that was noice of him

Stardew
03-16-2019, 07:27 AM
Tony only converts your UCs if hes sure you've cheated, he unfroze 2 accounts for me without converting the super high end UCs in them, that was noice of him

Woo Tony for not always being a complete ass.

Will edit the guide, thanks Cybun.

Rosie
03-16-2019, 08:09 AM
I'm trying to get my first account back and just forgot the password.

I have the original email, all emails associated with the account, original birthday, and information on pets created, nc, etc. But TNT refuses to give me back my account since the location my account was created isn't correct (which baffles me since I was 7 in the age of dial up, so it could really only be my home town -_-)

Stardew
03-16-2019, 09:55 AM

I have the original email, all emails associated with the account, original birthday, and information on pets created, nc, etc. But TNT refuses to give me back my account since the location my account was created isn't correct (which baffles me since I was 7 in the age of dial up, so it could really only be my home town -_-)That sounds strange. Usually they're pretty quick to give a password reset especially if the info matches. Who has been handling your ticket?
Did you cheat on this account at all? I wonder if perhaps they're just refusing because of something like that.

If you have just talked to one TNT person you can try making a new ticket and hope for another staffer. Don't mention the location in that one maybe? Perhaps that'd work. Sometimes it's just a case of trial and error.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rosie
03-16-2019, 10:18 AM
That sounds strange. Usually they're pretty quick to give a password reset especially if the info matches. Who has been handling your ticket?
Did you cheat on this account at all? I wonder if perhaps they're just refusing because of something like that.

If you have just talked to one TNT person you can try making a new ticket and hope for another staffer. Don't mention the location in that one maybe? Perhaps that'd work. Sometimes it's just a case of trial and error.

Never cheated on the account since I was young and in elementary school. I just want it back for nostalgia reasons - all BN pets, few avatars and trophies. Pretty much looks like a shell actually.

I submitted another ticket and requested for Alice this time. I had someone not Alice or Tony P help me out originally. I'll update the thread on how it goes.

Stocking Anarchy
03-16-2019, 04:40 PM
Never cheated on the account since I was young and in elementary school. I just want it back for nostalgia reasons - all BN pets, few avatars and trophies. Pretty much looks like a shell actually.

I submitted another ticket and requested for Alice this time. I had someone not Alice or Tony P help me out originally. I'll update the thread on how it goes.

If your account was made prior to 2012 PM me the name and I can look up the location.

team rocket
03-18-2019, 03:56 PM
i have never once had tony p. be helpful to me.

even on accounts that were just "frozen for my protection", even after supplying EVERYTHING he asked for, he wouldn't return it to me.

he leaves a dirty taste in my mouth. and i don't mean just because he doesn't wash his weenie. :rolleyes:

Cookie Tray
03-19-2019, 11:42 AM
A certain person always asks for location where the account was created, even though you say it's not necessary. Any tips for finding location if it's not in that pre-2012 list? I've given a lot of specific information already for an account I created but without it apparently I'm SOL.

Stardew
03-19-2019, 12:09 PM
A certain person always asks for the original e-mail and location where the account was created, even though you say it's not necessary. Any tips for finding location if it's not in that pre-2012 list? I've given a lot of specific information already for an account I had yeeeeears ago but without it apparently I'm SOL.

Yeah it's possible it's just this person's protocol for American accounts. If it's not on any list I'm unsure if anyone here could even help. If you happen to have any old screenshots that could help you find the location.

Creating another ticket could work in your favor?

Can you guys tell me who asks for location? I've never been asked but I want to make sure the guide is correct

team rocket
03-19-2019, 12:16 PM
Stardewi was just thinking...

i would maybe put your original post in spoilers so that a tnt spy doesn't see an influx of posts requesting alice and wonders where they came from.

Bat
03-19-2019, 12:28 PM
It seems that way, Stardew. I've recovered a few accounts that were registered in the US, and each time I was asked for which specific state and zip code that I used during registration. A friend of mine recovered an account that was registered in the UK, but they weren't asked for any details regarding their location.

You can work around not knowing your account's registered location, Transaction, but you'll have to give them some other meaningful way of identifying you as the account's owner. I've found that they don't dwell on the account's location if you can describe other specific details regarding its contents. Stardew's guide provides excellent examples of what the Neopets team will accept.

Stocking Anarchy
03-19-2019, 01:53 PM
@Stardew just about every ticket I've submitted both Tony and Alice has asked for the original location especially if the email address I made the ticket on is different from the original email.

One thing that sucks about that is if you are using a VPN when you create your account then the IP logged with that account creation won't be the same location you live in. So I guess we need to write down the IP address when we make a new account and also do an ip address lookup and note down the city and state that ip is registered to.

Stardew
03-19-2019, 02:02 PM
Thank you for the information everyone!

Will consider posting in a spoiler tag. Is this part of the forum even visible to unregistered members? I assumed it'd be the same as trading.

Bat
03-19-2019, 02:09 PM
Thank you for the information everyone!

Will consider posting in a spoiler tag. Is this part of the forum even visible to unregistered members? I assumed it'd be the same as trading.

Yep. Your guide is in plain view to anonymous users:

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Stardew
03-19-2019, 02:10 PM
Yikes. Immediately changing that.

team rocket
03-19-2019, 02:12 PM
you're very welcome <3

it's a really good guide which is why i suggested it. if it was like basic info, i wouldn't give a fuck :p

motherfucker
03-19-2019, 02:19 PM
This is a great guide!

Michael's Tips:
Feel free to add this, Stardew.

I've used this method myself, (a few months ago), and successfully got some decent stuff unfrozen.

1. Don't include the location where the account was made right away, wait for them to ask. It might prolong to process, but it will make you seem more innocent in the long-run. I like to play innocent and stupid. If you submit it right away, they can tell that you know they would ask for it, which could potentially be incriminating.

If you need help finding the original location an account was set up under, it's very easy to locate.

2. If the account is frozen due to susp. activity, blame the "database leak that you heard of". As far as I know, TNT doesn't like to talk about it or acknowledge it, so they will quickly deal with the problem.

Stardew
03-19-2019, 03:43 PM
This is a great guide!

Michael's Tips:
Feel free to add this, Stardew.

I've used this method myself, (a few months ago), and successfully got some decent stuff unfrozen.

1. Don't include the location where the account was made right away, wait for them to ask. It might prolong to process, but it will make you seem more innocent in the long-run. I like to play innocent and stupid. If you submit it right away, they can tell that you know they would ask for it, which could potentially be incriminating.

If you need help finding the original location an account was set up under, it's very easy to locate.

2. If the account is frozen due to susp. activity, blame the "database leak that you heard of". As far as I know, TNT doesn't like to talk about it or acknowledge it, so they will quickly deal with the problem.

Thank you Michael! Added everything to the guide. :) Hope you don't mind me mentioning you for the location stuff.

motherfucker
03-19-2019, 04:04 PM
Thank you Michael! Added everything to the guide. :) Hope you don't mind me mentioning you for the location stuff.

I'm happy to help people figure out how to find it, but I won't be giving them out haha.

Cookie Tray
03-20-2019, 08:06 AM
Yeah, I provided all I can, my fingers are crossed for a positive response! I tend to keep logs of information on accounts even after they've been frozen. A thing I suggest doing is downloading your Neomails every now and then, especially before clearing your inbox. Screenshot EVERYTHING: neofriends, trade offers, items you've gifted, pet trade logs, etc.

Stardew
03-20-2019, 09:50 AM
Lenars Please edit your message about Alice to have spoiler tags so no one who isn't logged in can read it! :D

Cookie Tray
03-22-2019, 09:44 AM
Just wanted to update that as of today my account despite not having the original location/e-mail has been unfrozen! Just maintain innocence, confusion, and give whatever details you can otherwise!

Rosie
03-24-2019, 05:03 PM
Update from page 1

Original email and birthday, dont know the password and trying to get into my very first main.

I still can't get my account back without the original location... which apparently isnt in the state I lived in or anywhere I vacationed when I was in elementary school -_-

Cookie Tray
03-25-2019, 02:30 PM
That's strange, did you give them a list of all possible locations? Maybe tell them you used to go to libraries/friends' houses and could have created it there? Or do you know if it's on 'the list,' maybe I or someone trusted here could help you out with the location.

TsUNaMy WaVe
11-20-2019, 04:16 PM
Thank you so much for this thread, it was very helpful!
I'm trying to get my very old main back, and I already sent the email and got the ticket number. The problem is I don't have any shell to use to post the number on the highway, and I don't want to risk my current main (a person that only use one account!? yup, that's me, weird, I know). Is it absolutely necessary? I feel like creating an account just to post the ticket number there won't be the smartest thing to do.

Stardew
11-21-2019, 01:16 PM
Thank you so much for this thread, it was very helpful!
I'm trying to get my very old main back, and I already sent the email and got the ticket number. The problem is I don't have any shell to use to post the number on the highway, and I don't want to risk my current main (a person that only use one account!? yup, that's me, weird, I know). Is it absolutely necessary? I feel like creating an account just to post the ticket number there won't be the smartest thing to do.I hope you will be able to retrieve the account!

As for the Highway to Help board, I'd say it's the single best way to get a quick response from TNT. I've heard people have waited for replies from TNT for months if not longer without posting on the highway.

Other options you could try are tweeting your ticket number at them, or commenting on one of their posts on Facebook. I've heard this works for some people but don't know for sure what the success rate is.
A shell posting on the highway (don't use your usual main IP if you're worried!) really might be your best option.

Good luck! <3

Abyss
04-03-2020, 09:23 AM
Thank you for this thread, I hope I can get my iced account back. It's a longshot, but I'm gonna give it my best. Question below though
If they accuse me of using an AB'er, what's the best response? Act like I've never heard of an AB'er before and don't know what that is? Deny it? Say I'm an excellent RSer and play legit? I definitely play more legit now on my new main. Still a bit semi, but no ABers for me.

Dontlookme
04-20-2020, 01:43 PM
How hard it should be to get back an account wich was frozen about 7-8 years ago? I miss that account so much :\

I've tried emailing TNT several times back in the day, they never told me why I've got frozen and so. But I never used AB (on that account)...maybe a score sender, can't remember.

Chenbi
05-03-2020, 12:33 AM
Thanks to this thread tips I got my frozen account back, and I already had tried several times! Tysm <3

deMorphine
05-03-2020, 07:07 PM
How hard it should be to get back an account wich was frozen about 7-8 years ago? I miss that account so much :\

I've tried emailing TNT several times back in the day, they never told me why I've got frozen and so. But I never used AB (on that account)...maybe a score sender, can't remember.

Do you remember all your account information? I would deny everything and act ignorant. There should be a reason when you try to login.

PrettySarcastic
05-03-2020, 11:14 PM
Do you remember all your account information? I would deny everything and act ignorant. There should be a reason when you try to login.

Just FYI, there is no longer a reason when you try to log in and there hasn't been for some time.

Trying to log in to a frozen account just returns you to the main neopets.com page with no explanation, which leads to many users being very confused. Garbage customer service to be sure, but that's how the system is currently working.

Bellz
05-11-2020, 04:11 PM
Would TNT return an account frozen pre-conversion, with unconverted pets?

Wondering if it's worth the effort trying to get my old old account back.

qhn
05-15-2020, 02:13 PM

Yes. I got 2 accounts with UCs back a while ago. Very worth it, especially if you were frozen for something fairly innocuous back in the day when TNT was on a huge powertrip and did a lot of freezings that nowadays look petty and ridiculous. I got chain frozen pre-conversion for accidentally visiting Coltzan on a side (LOLOLOL). Mailed them from the email I used on those accounts. Boom. Unfrozen after 14 years. TonyP was actually a real champ to me.

Bellz
05-16-2020, 11:13 PM
One more question. If a frozen account was purged, does that mean the pets are permanently gone, even if TNT believes you and gives you your other accounts back?

PrettySarcastic
05-16-2020, 11:39 PM
One more question. If a frozen account was purged, does that mean the pets are permanently gone, even if TNT believes you and gives you your other accounts back?

I don't have first hand knowledge of what happens to purged pets when purged accounts are gone, but I would assume they are also purged. A purge is a deletion of that account and its data from Neopets servers - logic follows that pet data would likewise be deleted.

Unown
05-17-2020, 12:29 AM

I recently got back an account that was frozen for an inappropriate username. (They took more than 2 years to realize it was inappropriate and froze it)

I couldn't get back the account because of the username but all my data, np, pets, avatars etc were transferred and merged onto another account that I was playing on.

Definitely worth trying. You have nothing to lose by just sending them a ticket.

Dontlookme
05-17-2020, 10:07 AM
Can confirm this guide works...I got my account back a few weeks ago.
unfortunately, as a punishment, they deleted ALL the items and NPs on the account and converted all my pets. (I had 4 UCs...)...still, better than nothing.

DirtyBeanSprouts
06-18-2020, 01:19 PM
Just want to add to this guide. Be sure to add neopetsofficialaccount on Instagram. Comment on a post about your support ticket number and how you want to check out the new beta. Should expedite your account recovery process.

lluvia
06-19-2020, 09:29 PM
One extra tip also passed to me by a Neopian:
Message them on their Facebook page asking about your ticket. When I did that, they gave me a specific time frame to expect a response by.

Stardew
01-03-2021, 06:14 AM
Updating this guide! Let me know if anyone has anything else to add :)

dididi13
01-13-2021, 09:50 PM
I follow this guide in some pointers and it helps a lot! I managed to retrieve my main account that has been lost for more than 5 year. Unfortunately my account has been hacked into during those time and there's nothing left my account.

A few more pointers I get from my case is that, they cannot and will not restore anything if it's been too long ago and the logs/records are non-existent. I even ask them to restore my NPs (since it should be the easiest) based on my bank tier.

When I got into my account, inventory, bank, shop, precious pets are gone. The name on my account and email has been changed to somebody else's. All I can do is add pin and make sure this won't happen again.

So, if you lost your account more than 5 years and you have some great account, high chances that you've been hacked in.

caitlin
05-23-2021, 03:15 PM

I have the original email, all emails associated with the account, original birthday, and information on pets created, nc, etc. But TNT refuses to give me back my account since the location my account was created isn't correct (which baffles me since I was 7 in the age of dial up, so it could really only be my home town -_-)

i had a similar issue, made the account under 13 y/o and while i made it with an email, TNT did not keep record of this because of state of CA child protection laws, so they're refusing to give me a password reset though i can verify 100% of the information used to create the account :/

Purrina
07-26-2021, 11:02 AM
Can you please update this part of the guide, Stardew ?

If you need help finding the original location an account was set up under, it's very easy to locate. (PM motherfucker)

The person you suggest asking for help was banned.
Is there anyone else who is willing to help with finding original account creation locations?

Also, have you considered a small section on hiring someone to handle the ticket process for you?
The person you mentioned who was banned had a post in services where they offered to handle tickets for frozen accounts.
I'm interested in hiring a more experienced member for that service, but I have no idea where to start/what to ask/etc?

Thank you!

DrSloth
07-26-2021, 11:58 AM

Is there anyone else who is willing to help with finding original account creation locations?

Also, have you considered a small section on hiring someone to handle the ticket process for you?
The person you mentioned who was banned had a post in services where they offered to handle tickets for frozen accounts.
I'm interested in hiring a more experienced member for that service, but I have no idea where to start/what to ask/etc?

Thank you!

for the account location, if the account is from prior the leak list, feel free to let me know and i'll try my best to help :)

Stardew
07-26-2021, 02:47 PM

Thank you!

Yes, I can definitely do that! For both things you asked! I'll update the bit about our poor motherfucker immediately (still hope he will be back one day), give me some time to work out the other part! :)

I believe that is exactly what motherfucker was offering, DrSloth, so thank you very much! I will swap in your username! :)

DrSloth
07-26-2021, 02:53 PM
Yes, I can definitely do that! For both things you asked! I'll update the bit about our poor motherfucker immediately (still hope he will be back one day), give me some time to work out the other part! :)

I believe that is exactly what motherfucker was offering, DrSloth, so thank you very much! I will swap in your username! :)

my 'location' service is just tracking the ip on the list, if the account is not on the list i can't help but if you'd like to tag me there i'll happily help whenever i can :)

Stardew
07-26-2021, 03:02 PM
my 'location' service is just tracking the ip on the list, if the account is not on the list i can't help but if you'd like to tag me there i'll happily help whenever i can :)

Yeah I think that's exactly what motherfucker was doing when I last spoke to him! Thank you :) If you're good with your name being on there, I'd be very grateful for the help! I don't personally have any leak lists/info. So thank you!

Purrina I have just updated the guide with a section about hiring someone to help you unfreeze your account! I hope it's detailed enough and answers some questions. Let me know if you have any more, and I will do my best to update the guide and/or answer them here! :)