PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever SR'd for a shiny starter?

cloudxcrash
12-10-2017, 06:50 AM
I just started Ultra Moon and decided to SR for a shiny Popplio. I'm currently 30 SRs in and I'm beginning to regret my decision but you know, I can't stop now. Have you ever SR'd for a shiny starter in any of the games? :P

Meowlily
12-10-2017, 11:50 AM
I didnt even know that was possible lol

cloudxcrash
12-10-2017, 04:43 PM
I didnt even know that was possible lol

You save before choosing your starter, in Ultra Sun & Moon it's right before the cutscene where you're attacked by a wild Yungoose. You pick your starter and if it isn't shiny, you reset and do the whole cutscene/pick your starter again until it is. The chance of finding a shiny is 1 in every 8192 soooo... usually takes quite the amount of resets. However, some are lucky and get their shiny after only a dozen of resets while others go on for hundreds or even thousands of resets. xD

j03
12-10-2017, 06:06 PM
No I have never.

But I follow the Pokemon sub-reddit and have come across posts of people talking about ways of SR (Soft Resetting) your 3DS pretty quickly. It seems like it's the norm for people to do in that section xD Wish I could throw that kind of time around these days...

Synth Salazzle
12-10-2017, 09:08 PM
My girlfriend has a couple times.

Apparently it was fucking terrible.

Star Dream
12-11-2017, 04:17 AM
I never have, and I never intend to. No patience for that-- I'd rather just breed for a shiny starter, that's a lot easier.
Besides, you can guarantee nature (and if you use Swap Method, the IVs and gender somewhat as well) on stuff you breed.
Nothing like an awful nature on a shiny to kill the joy of it all, right?

Besides, there's no Shiny Charm or Masuda Method to speed up soft-resetting for starters.
And I still have an original 3DS model, which takes forever to reset Sun and Moon, much less USun and UMoon.

If I'm going to soft-reset for anything, it'd be a shiny Nihilego.
Now that USUM makes it possible to get a shiny one.. well, I'm going to have to get myself a lemonade jellyfish sometime soon.

Brittney
12-11-2017, 05:18 AM
I'm currently at 1700 SR's for Shiny Rowlet on Ultra Sun. I already tried on Sun and never got it so I never played that game. :P

cloudxcrash
12-13-2017, 06:06 PM
To the people who look up the stars and wish
To the stars who listen and the dreams that are answered
<3

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

looklook123123
12-13-2017, 07:03 PM
To the people who look up the stars and wish
To the stars who listen and the dreams that are answered
<3

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Did you keep track of how many tries it took? Congrats! :D

cloudxcrash
12-13-2017, 07:35 PM
Did you keep track of how many tries it took? Congrats! :D

Thanks lookie! I was actually very lucky and got mine around 350 resets. After I figured I could multitask and SR while watching a movie it made the process a whole less dreadful. :P

chickenguy2000
12-17-2017, 01:26 AM
Congrats! I tried soft resetting in Diamond, but as a ~12 year old, i had little to no patience :P
Now, I just breed for my shiny starter.

gogogo
12-18-2017, 08:44 PM
I SR in pokemon soul silver I just wanted an shiny so bad when the game first came out. I transferred it from Soulsilver to my black game.

Jumbo Shrimp
12-18-2017, 11:17 PM
how much have the shiny chances risen in ultra s/m? it seems like every new game, they cut it smaller and smaller. they added the wormhole thing too so now im too impatient when shiny hunting since its become so easy :( i tried to sr for shiny victini, then learned about 500 srs in, that he was shiny locked

Sakuras
12-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Yep, I got a Shiny Totodile in Heart Gold. Took 3 months lmao.

SuMo/USUM odds are the same as Gen 6 iirc.

Ehentalix
12-19-2017, 04:00 PM
I got 2500 in on Sun and wanted to neck myself, so I gave up XD

Spunky
12-19-2017, 07:26 PM
tried to SR for a shiny cyndaquil, never could get one. :(
also training chaining for a shiny zorua in ORuby, I think I got around 1000ish in my chain and i just.. gave up. xD

Star Dream
12-20-2017, 03:35 AM
Shiny rates haven't changed since gen 6, as far as I'm aware.
It's still 1/4096, assuming you're swinging at SRing for starters!

Adding onto that: having a Shiny Charm cuts the rate to 1/1365, and if you Masuda Method + Shiny Charm, then your chance is 1/512!

I'm not sure on the rates with Super Wormholes, Chain Fishing and Pokeradar-- radar's chances max out at 40 (there's a formula to calc shiny chance here ([Only registered and activated users can see links])), and fishing tends to start hitting shinies around 20-30 hits, -+5 or so.

As for gen 3-5, the rate is 1/8192, and in gen 1 & 2, it's based off of IVs.
Sure makes someone feel lucky for finding random shinies way back when, huh? ;)

edit: doot doot did research, it's actually 1/1365 in Gen6 and on if you have a shiny charm
sure doesn't feel like it, i'm at reset #866 and still no yellow jelly :(

Hall
01-13-2018, 11:04 PM
I've SR'd almost every generation of starters. The most noticable is in Soul Silver where I went WELL over 1500 resets and accidentally reset over TWO shiny Cyndaquil.

Tiberonth
04-05-2018, 04:48 AM
Several times, but only once successfully; treecko in Alpha Sapphire. The other times I've quit because it's taking too long. I was going to SR for shiny Rowlett in sun but that cutscene... I had to give up.

Fell
04-05-2018, 01:49 PM
I plan to SR a few ultra beasts when I have more time later on, unless a better method has emerged. How do you lot keep track of your reset count?

Star Dream
04-21-2018, 01:25 AM
I plan to SR a few ultra beasts when I have more time later on, unless a better method has emerged. How do you lot keep track of your reset count?

I've been using a google docs spreadsheet for my SR progress!
I just make a column with a sprite of the species I'm hunting/hatching, a column with SR total (currently at 861), and columns for nature + IVs to record results, whenever that happens. Then I rig up a script so that I can click on a sprite of the Pokemon and increase the SR total by 1 each time.

If you want to do this yourself, here's the script I'm using. You'll want to enter it in Tools > Script Editor, and then right-click your image of choice to bring up the options for it. Then you can assign the script to it; in this case, you would assign script "incrementCountB2" for your click on the image to increase cell B2's number by 1.

function incrementCountB2() {
var cell = SpreadsheetApp.getActive().getRange("B2");
cell.setValue(cell.getValue() + 1);
}

You can change the B2 to whatever other cell, too.
Given, you'll have to manually give permission for a sheet to run scripts, but it's pretty easy.
Something about clicking buttons is far easier than manually changing numbers, you know?

Chryssie
04-22-2018, 06:39 PM
i tried with Black 2 and getting a shiny snivy
i gave up lol that intro cutscene too long ;;;;

jasokes
04-23-2018, 08:56 AM
Suddenly I am motivated to try again (this may or may not be a terrible idea productivity-wise). :P

Hall
04-27-2018, 10:46 PM
-------

panic!
10-16-2018, 07:16 AM
I have tried but I gave up because it just takes too much time

Mardan
11-17-2018, 08:17 AM
I did it for like 30 attempts when I first found out about it being a thing in the RSE days, before quickly realizing it was madness to even try.

Blue-tooth
12-06-2018, 08:43 PM
Me lol
I do the same with legendary pokemon. :$