PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Suggestions

PiSquared
09-25-2017, 10:05 PM
Hullo. So it's about time I buy a new laptop since I've been forced to travel a lot more and a desktop isn't as feasible anymore. Only I'm not that terribly familiar with laptops and would like some help/suggestions. I'd like to know maybe models I should look into/avoid and the kind of specs I should be looking for my needs.

I have a budget of around $1500 CAD (I'm based in Canada). I'd prefer it to be of a lighter weight/thin because I am a tiny person having to lug it around.

I'll be using the laptop primarily for work (Microsoft Suites, Adobe CC). I also do game (Guild Wars 2, Blizzard Games, etc) but I don't mind running them on medium settings, 30 FPS.

Thanks in advance for your help~

Synth Salazzle
09-27-2017, 06:36 PM
This is what I have, it cost me about 600, and I'm sure you can find one somewhere else.

I can play GTA5 (on lowest settings) and fallout 4 just fine with no issue. However I cannot play mass effect andromeda so I don't suggest it for the newest games coming out.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Accelerator
09-27-2017, 06:41 PM
+1 for ASUS
This is what I had my eyes on [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Synth Salazzle
09-27-2017, 06:44 PM
+1 for ASUS
This is what I had my eyes on [Only registered and activated users can see links]

This asus laptop is the best computer I've ever had. I 10/10 suggest this brand.

Roslyn
09-27-2017, 07:20 PM
My MacBook handles the Adobe suite like a dream.
But, I am a slave to Apple. :')

Synth Salazzle
09-28-2017, 02:03 PM
My MacBook handles the Adobe suite like a dream.
But, I am a slave to Apple. :')

Mac is good for working, and probably one of the best out there for that but I wouldn't say the same for gaming. I'd suggest OP looks and sees if what they need is mac compatible.

Infiniti
10-03-2017, 03:58 PM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

This is the one I bought. i7 processor and 4gb of dedicated graphics. I went with the base model and upgraded to 16gb of ddr4 ram and a 256gb SSD for about $250 USD. I don't really game on it, but when I have I never have any problems playing anything on medium/high. JBL speakers sound good for a laptop. I got this one over a year ago, so there may be an upgraded model by now, but I haven't had any problems with it. My only complaints is the location of the trackpad (it's more to the left than center), the backspace key is too close to the num lock key, and the clicking of the mouse buttons are a bit loud. I opted for non-touch screen as well because I don't like finger prints on my screen. xD

audreycutes
10-30-2017, 04:26 AM
Hey, I'm in the market for a new laptop too with similar specs that you're looking for. Have you found something yet? Any suggestions for something smaller than 15.6 inch? I'm looking for something small that I can fit easily in a purse or backpack.

PC only, no macs

spacezeus
11-02-2017, 02:55 PM
I recommend Lenovo Thinkpad models, I had one from 2003 thats still works well until now after I upgraded the ram and ssd.