PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Way To Diet?

RGBKittens
04-22-2017, 02:56 PM
Just started my goal of losing some weight. 1 pound down, 54 to go.

I usually just stick with eating 1200 calories a day and trying to take a walk, works out pretty well for me

Pusheen
04-22-2017, 05:18 PM
I'm so unhealthy when it comes to diets, last diet I made was eating only 500 calories a day... worked great, lost 10 pounds in a month, but hey, now I got 4 of those back since it's in the end one of those diets that make you gain back the lost weight pretty quick... totally not recommended.

Indeed, doing exercise and eating healthy is the way to go if you wanna lose weight and keep the lost pounds away :P

Mama Bear
04-22-2017, 06:02 PM
I've lost 28lb so far this month. I bought a fitbit and found the app really great at helping me make good choices. The only downside is that it doesn't offer support for pregnant or nursing women, so I have to log the calories from feeding her as "yoga" :P
One simple diet change I made was choosing my proteins more carefully. Kangaroo, for instance, is lower in calories than beef or lamb, so it is my go-to red meat now. It means I still get a decently sized piece of meat without feeling guilty. I see that you're in the US- I actually recently read that Ostrich is similar. It's apparently one of the lowest in calorie meats around, so maybe give that a try?

Sci_Girl
04-22-2017, 07:51 PM
Game meat will be much lower in calories and fat simply because it is incredibly lean. No extra fat like what is bred into US cows, pork, or chicken. Lean meats and fish are excellent protein sources without the extra calories or cholesterol.

But diets do not work. Weight will almost always come back when people become lax and go back to old eating habits. It is as simple as calories in vs calories out. Do not eat processed foods or anything prepade and you will do fine. That means make your own food which most people on diets end up being pissed about. Keep moving and eat well.

I have started a new warehouse job and I am constantly walking back and forth in the big place so I have lost 10 lbs in 3 months. Just keep moving and shaking abd the weight will go down.

sencha
04-24-2017, 04:01 PM
I usually just stop drinking soft drinks/avoiding carbohydrates, they are the worst. They are like everywhere... its just a little difficult to keep this up because I LOVE sugar, and when I'm stressed I feel the need for sugar :rolleyes:

Clair
04-24-2017, 04:26 PM
I've found the number 1 way is to make new healthy habits for yourself.
I got into a routine of things I liked to eat that are low cal and healthy (for me I just cut any dairy, wheat, processed sugars, just don't even buy these things so you aren't tempted!) tried to eat as much vegetable/fruit as possible and limit carbs starches as much as I could. I didn't worry about any calorie counting, you want to make the diet just a natural thing you do not something your force on yourself bc then it is so much easier to fall off the wagon.
Then I found an exercise regimen that fit into my daily routine. For me it was Mon Wed Fri on the treadmill and then Tues Thurs pilates and weights at home.
Eventually everything just becomes second nature, and the pounds will melt off (and stay off!!).
It's really hard to constantly deny yourself over and over, so making good habits I found is what works the best.

I lost 80 pounds this way and haven't gained any of it back, plus I am pretty fit now and toned. :$
I feel really healthy and good.

Mito
04-24-2017, 05:02 PM
Highly recommend going Paleo!
I don't diet, as I struggle keeping wait on me - but being on the paleo diet just has me feeling like a healthier person all around.

hydreigon
04-24-2017, 05:23 PM
I'm not very good with keeping a diet but sometimes I go on little health kicks- when I do I usually try to stick with grilled chicken + fish for something filling and fruit for something sweet rather than whatever junk I can find in my house.
My dad on the other hand diets a lot more- he usually makes vegetable soup and eats that for days straight. I'd personally get too sick of that to try it though lmao.

j03
04-24-2017, 05:36 PM
I don't... but not eating is the best way for me to lose weight.

xCarRadio
04-24-2017, 07:06 PM
Weight Watchers and working out! :)
I went from weighing 189 lbs to 125 lbs :) I'm back up now (thanks to pregnancy and a breakup!) but I will lose it again as soon as I can dedicate time to it :)

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

~snoopy
04-25-2017, 07:23 PM
People often claim they've lost weight but then never have any visual proof of it lol, idk why that is.

teddy
04-25-2017, 07:39 PM
I have trouble losing weight because I'm already at a healthy weight, but calorie restriction is the most effective method for me, rather than working out.

1200 calories a day is really good :)

UFFH
04-29-2017, 11:30 AM
Intermittent Fasting, 16 hour fast, 8 hours to fit all of my meals/food in and 1200 calories.
I wish I didn't love bread or I would go paleo/keto.

iceberry
05-14-2017, 12:56 AM
During my diet days, I eat a big breakfast (full of proteins, fats, carbs), for lunch that's when I get all my veggies in, so it's usually a salad without dressing. For dinner, I usually drink a small amount of juice/milk or just skip it all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xmilo
05-14-2017, 09:39 AM
Having a balance diet is always the better way to diet. Trying to lose weight fast will only cause you to gain your weight back faster at the end of the whole regime.

blue_jean_man
05-16-2017, 09:17 AM
Seconding IF! Huge benefits to it. I do a 16/8 protocol and it isn't bad at all. Basically all I have to do is skip breakfast and have a late lunch. I do the Leangains version and when I was in college (and did it seriously) I got into the best shape of my life. It's not always about eating less calories. Most people eat too few calories as it is and need to increase the amount of calories they consume in a day.

My current set up for cutting is:

Rest Days- 2633 kcal
250g PRO
102.1g CHO
136.1g FAT

Training Days- 3292 kcal
250g PRO
429.7g CHO
63.7g FAT

Primrose
05-16-2017, 04:06 PM
My favourite way to diet is to eat enough, but healthy. And going to the gym / for a swim / for a walk a couple times per week. Just don't be too hard for yourself!

pinguim
05-16-2017, 05:51 PM
a year ago I did low carb trying to do a new food reeducation, but it's painful since there's a lot of things that you need to cut off. Now I'm doing a balance between protein and carb... more protein than carb, also, I'm walking every day for at least one hour.

Bec
05-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Unpopular opinion coming up
Although it's not my favorite way to diet, the most effective way of losing weight for my body is to only eat a small lunch (grapes or an apple, saltines and peanut butter and water) every day for 6 days. And in that time frame I drink probably 5 gallons of water. I usually lose a quick 5-8lbs. Definitely not condoning this for everybody, it just works well for me when I need to lose weight fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anni
05-17-2017, 01:38 PM
I definitely think a whole food approach is best and intermittent fasting... Yet when I eat a ton of junk like pizza and desserts I tend to lose weight :hypnotysed: But I'm not trying to lose weight, just follow my weight occasionally.

Antares
05-19-2017, 05:28 PM
Honestly, the best way I've dieted is just monitoring what I eat. Sounds strange, but keeping track of calories really helps! Also, this kinda relates, but I stop eating after 6pm, and only drink water after that!

kat.
05-25-2017, 10:23 AM
I have lost 16lbs so far by only eating 1200 calories a day. I literally eat whatever I want, though I try to make healthy choices. I only weigh 129lbs, someone heavier should eat more calories than I have been.

I've been using myfitnesspal to track my calories and protein and it is working great! I do go to the gym about 3 days a week though, so that helps a lot too.

blue_jean_man
05-25-2017, 10:33 AM
I have lost 16lbs so far by only eating 1200 calories a day. I literally eat whatever I want, though I try to make healthy choices. I only weigh 129lbs, someone heavier should eat more calories than I have been.

I've been using myfitnesspal to track my calories and protein and it is working great! I do go to the gym about 3 days a week though, so that helps a lot too.

Do you just track calories and not macros?

kat.
05-25-2017, 10:42 AM
Do you just track calories and not macros?

I don't really. I mean the app tracks it, but I barely ever meet my requirements. I ALWAYS meet my protien goals, but I am usually under in fat and carbs. I go for 150g carbs, 40g fat and 60g protein.

Yesterday I had 65g carbs, 30g fat and 73g protein. *shrug*

blue_jean_man
05-25-2017, 10:48 AM
I don't really. I mean the app tracks it, but I barely ever meet my requirements. I ALWAYS meet my protien goals, but I am usually under in fat and carbs. I go for 150g carbs, 40g fat and 60g protein.

That's not bad at all. Most people when they go off of calories alone tend to just eat carbs and have little to no protein. I've had clients that never ate any fat macros because they thought that eating fat would make you fat lol

xmilo
05-28-2017, 01:02 AM

That's awesome! Hope that this can become a lifestyle for you so that it'll just become like a second nature kind of thing.

kat.
05-28-2017, 07:53 AM
That's awesome! Hope that this can become a lifestyle for you so that it'll just become like a second nature kind of thing.

Haha, thanks. I hope so too. I am weightlifting as well, so once I meet my weight goals I should probably increase my calories a bit. But It get easier and easier the more I do it. :)

jubilant
06-18-2017, 08:35 PM
Keto and intermittent fasting work for me.

teddy
06-18-2017, 09:39 PM
Honestly, the best way I've dieted is just monitoring what I eat. Sounds strange, but keeping track of calories really helps! Also, this kinda relates, but I stop eating after 6pm, and only drink water after that!

agreed

eCosS
07-01-2017, 02:26 PM
Fresh vegetables, chicken and fish … meat too, but not too much. Fresh fruit.

Guy
08-12-2017, 06:29 AM
I like intermittent fasting & eating low-carb high-fat

Serpent Rider
09-18-2017, 07:16 AM
It's not to necessarily lose weight but I practice intermittent fasting. It helps to sharpen my mind :)

blue_jean_man
09-25-2017, 12:11 PM
It's not to necessarily lose weight but I practice intermittent fasting. It helps to sharpen my mind :)

There's a ton more IFers than I would have thought. Leangains or a different approach?

Amparo
09-25-2017, 12:17 PM
Keto for the win.
You can eat like a damn dinosaur, and loose tons of weight.
Also, you can eat lots of nuts. And I love nuts �

Pusheen
09-25-2017, 12:48 PM
Keto for the win.
You can eat like a damn dinosaur, and loose tons of weight.
Also, you can eat lots of nuts. And I love nuts �

What is keto? :o

blue_jean_man
09-25-2017, 01:01 PM
What is keto? :o

Ketogenic diet. Low carb high fat

I played around with keto for a while, but it killed my lifts so I stopped it :/

Sugar Rush
09-25-2017, 03:05 PM
I tried Keto and it kinda worked, until it didn't. Plus eating mainly meat/fat made me feel gross AF, and the community was borderline cult-ish. Not for me.

I just watch my calories (intermittent fasting pretty much solves that for me) and get off my ass every morning and walk for like an hour.

Amparo
10-01-2017, 08:17 AM
Sorry for the late reply, I had a horrible week.

I suppose keto isn't for everybody, mostly because of all the fat and meat that you need to eat, but still, there's some pretty decent and reachables 40 to 50 days diet programs that allow you to introduce every type of food by periods. As far as I know there is some sort of a cult-community that lives in keto diet for years but that's not for me either. I'm a carb girl. I need my sugar.
I was very over weight on a period of my life, and all the low calories diets killed me, because I was huge, and my stomach was huge, and coudn't fill that giant belly with pure lettuce. At that time I did a 50 days keto diet and loose around 20 kg (around ~44 lbs according to Google) and kept loosing weight after I finished the diet because my methabolism was functioning like never before and my food anxiety was killed at that time (not forever, but for like 2 months straight)
I'm on my weight now. But every time I see I'm getting slightly bigger, I take the roots of keto for whatever amount of days I think it's necessary, that means no carbs (no bread, no sugar, no potatoes or anything that grows under the ground), lots of fat (Cheese, cream, bacon, oil, etc), lots of fatty meat (not lean meat, cause that's high protein and I need to keep my fats higher), plenty of nuts, olives, etc. If, for whatever reason I reach 10 days of diet, I add a fruit a day (every day the same fruit), a glass of milk, or yogurt, and so on.
So, if you love meat as I do, and can eat a lot, and hate diets that resrtict you the quantity of your food, I think keto might be just as good for you as it was for me :)

Meowlily
10-01-2017, 08:58 AM
I dont really diet but recently being diagonised with diabetes I've cut all sugar and lost lil over 10-20 pounds in few weeks/months. I still can't quite caffeine though :X

Efron
10-02-2017, 11:02 AM
I lost 15 pounds on Weight Watchers but gained it back from personal shit, but now I'm back on track and lost 10 pounds last month from using a combo of that and watching my food intake in general. I started running last week but got shin splints so I'm resting now...That's what happens when I try and get off my fat ass lol. My friend tried IF and she evened out so much she looks great.

limbust
10-02-2017, 06:16 PM
being poor!! that really helps

LibraryFaerie
10-03-2017, 05:13 PM
Small meals throughout the day. Make as much of your food yourself as you can. More fresh food, less carbs and sugar. I have to trick myself into exercising, so little things like taking the steps instead of the elevator, parking my car further away from the entrance, cleaning my apartment until I break a sweat, etc.

npm
10-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Not dieting at all :)

Just kidding, stop drinking sodas, non-natural juices, eating fried chips, packet cookies and you're done.

bbuilder
10-03-2017, 06:35 PM
Whenever I go to a restaurant I eat till i'm not hungry instead of until i'm full, and then I get the rest to go. As a bonus, 2 meals for one !

TtotheJ
10-06-2017, 11:37 AM
I lost a good bit of weight in 2015. It was a lot of faster/easier than I thought it'd be. I cut bad carbs (white bread, rice, potatoes, and noodles) and substituted them with minimal good carbs (wheat, whole grain, brown rice, red potatos), while eating lean and baked meats and fish, baked chicken mostly. Then I force-fed vehetables, mostly green veggies, often broccoli because it's high in protein. Of course, the most obvious is taking sugary drinks away and replacing them with water. Coffee isn't neccessary to remove, in fact, caffeine helps to increase metabolism. You should probably drink it black though, or with low fat ceeamer. Sugar substitutes are not good replacements either, and leave your body craving real sugar. Next, I exercised doing heavy weight-lifting, rather than low weight, high rep weight-lifting. The reason is that heavy weight, low rep, increases metabolism much more, thus using more fat to supply the energy to the body that is being used up. The most unusual, I ate A LOT of hot sauce and used spicy recipes to mix things up. The reason.. increase metabolism, and I definitely recommend looking in to this. I lost 65 lbs in 7 months, and was proud of myself for doing it the right way, which, turned out to be a lot easier than I thought, once I got in to the groove of things. Stay focused on WHY you want to lose weight, what you need to do it, and ask for the help of those around you to keep you focused if you may lose it. The last one is important, maybe thee most important. Losing weight is often fueled by low self-esteem, and when we be courageous and tell our friends, the response and support may be the difference in making those changes!
Best of luck to you, and don't give up! If you need anything, don't hesitate to message me!
**This applies to anyone**

Teal
10-06-2017, 10:48 PM
I count my macros & keep a food diary.
Allow myself cheat meals once or twice a week, depending how much I train.

I try to hit 140g of protein, 140g of carbs & low fat - prob 40g.
I don't like to call it dieting; it's becoming a part of my lifestyle and I am the happiest I've been!

Also - eating small meals 6x a day, roughly eat around 1,400 ~ 1,800 cals.
I'm working on gaining muscle and building a booty, so need good food.

wmagicw
10-15-2017, 09:33 AM
Control your calories intake daily and the target calories required is actually different for everyone, depends on your daily activities

franbow
11-11-2017, 03:43 PM
Maybe try to replace one of your meals with a salad and a light sandwich? My chem teacher did that and she's so fit looking, so I'm going to start doing it as well. She also makes her own dressing!

Northern
11-15-2017, 02:58 PM
Carbs aren't necessarily bad for you its just that people often go overboard on them. Best advice is to portion control, a food scale really helps with this. Limit your intake of any packaged food, sugary drinks/alcohol/caffeine, and make 95% of your meals at home if possible.

Would also suggest lifting weights and doing a little bit of cardio.

Nimoligist
11-15-2017, 03:03 PM
With my Water App, I usually end up drinking 110 oz's of water daily aka water diet. Helps a ton!

Braun
11-17-2017, 05:37 PM
Hello! More fruit and vegetables !! It will not go for a walk !! 15 minutes of jogging is what you need !!

wajack
12-30-2017, 01:33 PM
I used to be obese at 220 for 5'8". I dropped 75lbs over 6 months, and the only thing that worked for me was cutting certain foods out completely. I can't trust myself around foods like cookies or cake anymore.