PDA

View Full Version : How do I train for...

Kristin
03-10-2012, 01:10 PM
...and obstacle race? (like the Warrior Dash, Spartan Race, Tough Mudder, etc)
I've got the running and endurance thing down, but I really lack a lot of upper body strength.
My friends and I are teaming up for a Mud Run. It's 4 miles with a bunch of obstacles (won't know what they are until the day of).

Any tips on how to train for one of these? We are going to run the Warrior Dash next year, but we figured this mud run would be a good beginner thing to do. Typically these things are based loosely on military training obstacle courses, so...

J_L_K_64
03-10-2012, 01:52 PM
upper body strength? push ups/pull ups, that's what the military(usa military anyways) does for upper body

Ape
03-10-2012, 03:28 PM
push ups pullups maybe work on benching and stuff always good to run even when you have endurance

IndigoSunset
03-10-2012, 03:41 PM
As well as the above, running with weights in each hand will help to supplement it(and allow you to cram in more exercise in less time)

Kristin
03-10-2012, 04:03 PM
As well as the above, running with weights in each hand will help to supplement it(and allow you to cram in more exercise in less time)

Oh yes, this is a good idea.

As far as the pull-ups go, I FAIL at pull-ups...and I don't really have a way to do them at home. But I'll definitely start doing push ups.

I did find an obstacle race training plan on some guys blog. It's like, run-situps-run-pushups-run-pullups-run

trix
03-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Kristin [Only registered and activated users can see links]
This site is really good if you want to increase the amount of push-ups you can do. I used to not even be able to do 'girl' pushups and now I can do 25 proper ones in a row :D

Kristin
03-11-2012, 10:49 AM
trix Oh thank you! I will definitely take a look. :)