PDA

View Full Version : Hacking my Nintendo 3DS [I can now play any game I want for free]

j03
02-26-2017, 11:14 AM
Update: This seems to play multiple systems (GameBoy/Advanced/DS/3DS)

This weekend my cousin told me he bought a 3DS off craigslist that was "hacked", and all he had was the SD card inside the system. No need to buy any emulator carts or anything like that. The guy that sold him the system did this all for him before selling it. So I looked into this and found it to be relatively easy to do...

What I used:

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

This site will give you step-by-step instructions on how to do this all. It's basically a bunch of files being downloaded and placed into folders. If you follow the instructions carefully, it's painlessly easy.

An SD-to-USB, something like this (though any adapter that lets you put files from your computer to the card will work)

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post them!

Nyu
02-26-2017, 12:38 PM
Thanks! Sounds really cool!

It doesn't do anything to the physical and digital games I already have right?
Because just in case, i'd rather finish the games before doing it :P

j03
02-26-2017, 01:33 PM
Thanks! Sounds really cool!

It doesn't do anything to the physical and digital games I already have right?
Because just in case, i'd rather finish the games before doing it :P

Physical games will work like normally I believe. Just checked my Sun game and the save is still there, works fine.

But I had Super Smash Bros on my SD card and it's no longer an option to play on my home screen so I think you have to do something to preserve those digital games. Just in case, I have a backup of my SD card on my computer so I can always revert back. :)

Daviid
02-26-2017, 03:36 PM
I installed arm9loaderhax a while ago too after trying a few other cfw.
Doesn't matter how many times I do it I'm always on the edge until everything is done, I'm scared of breaking my console.
I always backup the NAND 3 or 4 times and store it in different drives.

Dom~
02-26-2017, 03:44 PM
How long does this normally take to complete?

j03
02-26-2017, 05:06 PM
This took me about 2 hours total which includes file downloading time.

Nyu
02-27-2017, 07:31 AM
Physical games will work like normally I believe. Just checked my Sun game and the save is still there, works fine.

But I had Super Smash Bros on my SD card and it's no longer an option to play on my home screen so I think you have to do something to preserve those digital games. Just in case, I have a backup of my SD card on my computer so I can always revert back. :)

Oh, cool!
Then, if I use another SD card (not the one who has my games on it) I could do it without risking them right?
Maybe I'll try :B

j03
02-27-2017, 11:13 AM
Oh, cool!
Then, if I use another SD card (not the one who has my games on it) I could do it without risking them right?
Maybe I'll try :B

Yep I would recommend doing that just to be safe. It's also recommended to follow the instructions and backup the files you are asked to at all times (it happens once or twice TBH).

Last night I was on my 3DS in bed for a while just going through this "freeShop" downloading old gameboy games and playing them all... so much fun.

looklook123123
02-27-2017, 12:55 PM
Infamous Joe can you recommend a 64gb SD card that works on a 3ds? I'm considering buying a second 3ds for this (maybe a 2ds) since my 3ds a button doesn't work great anyways.

j03
02-27-2017, 01:18 PM
@Infamous Joe ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) can you recommend a 64gb SD card that works on a 3ds? I'm considering buying a second 3ds for this (maybe a 2ds) since my 3ds a button doesn't work great anyways.

Your guess is just as good as mine. I am currently looking through eBay (USA/Canada) for a good cheap 64gb SD card so I can get some of the good games. I think checking reddit/gbatemp/3ds hacking forums for this question will be the best way to proceed.

Daviid
02-27-2017, 02:16 PM
Infamous Joe can you recommend a 64gb SD card that works on a 3ds? I'm considering buying a second 3ds for this (maybe a 2ds) since my 3ds a button doesn't work great anyways.

Your guess is just as good as mine. I am currently looking through eBay (USA/Canada) for a good cheap 64gb SD card so I can get some of the good games. I think checking reddit/gbatemp/3ds hacking forums for this question will be the best way to proceed.

According to Nintendo 3DS only works with SD cards up to 32GB.
I've read max is 256GB and I've seen 128GB being used ([Only registered and activated users can see links]).

They should be formatted in FAT32

looklook123123
02-27-2017, 07:34 PM
Thanks Infamous Joe Daviid

I'll look on reddit a little later and that link you gave. I wouldn't mind a few 32gbs if that really is all that works.

So many games I was iffy on buying so if I eventually get this setup it'll be cool playing through them and save my wallet in the longrun :D

looklook123123
03-06-2017, 07:17 PM
Infamous Joe Daviid

I impulse bid on a 2ds and it's version 11.3
Im aware via the link it isn't possible to get the home brew yet.. is anyone working on it that you know of? Or should I resell it and try for one that it already works on.

Daviid
03-06-2017, 07:24 PM
Infamous Joe Daviid

Im aware via the link it isn't possible to get the home brew yet.. is anyone working on it that you know of? Or should I resell it and try for one that it already works on.

There's probably someone working on it, but it could take weeks/months.
Apparently flashcards still work.
I would wait, unless you REALLY need it, then just buy some console with lower firmware.

looklook123123
03-06-2017, 07:27 PM
There's probably someone working on it, but it could take weeks/months.
Apparently flashcards still work.
I would wait, unless you REALLY need it, then just buy some console with lower firmware.

Nah its tax season I'm working plenty of hours. :P did a Google search and some things appear to be working on my firmware version. I am just unfamiliar with all the terminology so I'm not sure if I can do much yet. Either way it was a 2ds used twice and it only cost $50 so I'll take it

Daviid
03-06-2017, 07:29 PM
Nah its tax season I'm working plenty of hours. :P did a Google search and some things appear to be working on my firmware version. I am just unfamiliar with all the terminology so I'm not sure if I can do much yet. Either way it was a 2ds used twice and it only cost $50 so I'll take it

Nice, I bought my 3ds for 50€ too :p

j03
03-06-2017, 07:45 PM

The guide I linked here will show you how to downgrade (I think) for that firmware version.

Efron
03-06-2017, 08:39 PM
This is really good to know! now I know what i'm doing over spring break hahaha

looklook123123
03-06-2017, 08:41 PM
Infamous Joe Daviid

I got the Homebrew on my 2DS just now without downgrading the firmware.. now to see what I need to do next. Just thought I'd let you know it is possible.

I followed this video ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) to do so.

I'm not sure I can access the "freeshop" unfortunately. :(
I would need to change the firmware so do so which I don't feel like doing right now. So I will wait.
Though, if anyone has any GBA ROMs saved to their PC/laptop (virus free) let me know. I will +rep :P

Pox
03-06-2017, 10:49 PM
i did this a few weeks back but forgot to make sure my microsd adapter would work with the O3DS I have... it did not :(
thankfully i had a 6gb laying around and could finish the hack but i'm kinda stuck with mostly VC stuff and emulators for the time being
definitely worth the process for that alone tho!

looklook123123

i've got a pretty sizable collection on MEGA, hit me with a pm and i'll send you the folder link :)

sopngeo
03-12-2017, 04:03 PM
So is this different to the R4 type cartridges?

looklook123123
03-17-2017, 06:42 PM
Infamous Joe Daviid

I got around to getting a game on my 2DS (Pokemon Crystal). I play it, save it and it creates a save but the mGBA doesn't recognize the save.. Is there a way to fix this? I will look it up after my quiz if I don't hear back from either of you but figured you both may know. :D Thanks

j03
03-17-2017, 06:43 PM
I got around to getting a game on my 2DS (Pokemon Crystal). I play it, save it and it creates a save but the mGBA doesn't recognize the save.. Is there a way to fix this? I will look it up after my quiz if I don't hear back from either of you but figured you both may know. :D Thanks

No idea man, have not ran into this type of issue with any of the games.

looklook123123
03-17-2017, 06:54 PM
I think it's because it is a .sav file when I save the game as opposed to a .gbc file. But hoping I don't need to take out the sd card and fix the type of file manually every time. That would be a bummer. :P

looklook123123
04-28-2017, 11:22 AM
I figured I would post this (double post but to bring awareness).
Firmware 11.4.0 was recently released and with that a way to hack the 3DS on 11.3.0 was subsequently released. Those of you on 11.3 can now hack your 3ds.

I was finally able to do so :) the guide on 3ds.guide is extremely straightforward it just takes a little time to complete the setup.
If anyone has questions with it on 11.3 let me know I'll be happy to help.