PDA

View Full Version : Avoid Non-Microsoft Anti-Virus

Vegeta
01-26-2017, 08:09 AM
Link to article: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Link to comment section: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

I have always told members here to avoid commercial anti-virus software and to just stick with what Microsoft provides. It's free, faster, up to date and doesn't remind you to buy another license every few months, or advertise other products. I haven't had a virus in YEARS.

Not to mention, Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials does not block our programs for no damn reason!!

Yes. Also, let's finally start a public discussion about AV companies making money by selling data (they do, either all of them or most).

^ This x 100000

Straight from Hacker News

npm
01-26-2017, 12:05 PM
I noticed this a while ago... When I used to use avast or avira I used to have a lot of viruses on my computer but I've been using mse for almost a year or a little more and haven't had an issue nor viruses, of course I learned not to click everywhere but yeah stick with the one mycrosoft provide you with.

overheatinglaptop
01-28-2017, 11:45 AM
I unistalled my nana's antivirus because I noticed a lot of wifi usage and ram used , it was using over 75% of the ram 43% of the wifi, I mean wtf is that it said it was idle to!

I_royalty_I
01-28-2017, 03:16 PM
I think it depends which commercial AV you use. Some of them really are shit but others have their shit together and can help out quite a bit.

Ehentalix
01-29-2017, 12:19 AM
I've used Avast! for over a decade. Never had any major problems that weren't through my own fault.

toomanyskins
02-11-2017, 01:17 AM
an add-blocker and Microsoft built in anti virus is all you need.

That and safe browsing habits.

Jerri
02-24-2017, 06:48 PM
I've been wondering about this myself. I used MSE on windows 7 for years. But I just built a new PC and did a fresh windows 10 install so thought I best look up whats what on the anti virus front. I went with Avirs but the pop ups are annoying.

Should I just uninstall and go back to windows defender?

Stocking Anarchy
02-24-2017, 07:14 PM
I've been using Comodo for years for free that a college buddy of mine put on one of the first pcs he built for me and I haven't had any issues with a virus. HIPS gets annoying so I turned that off.

sopngeo
03-12-2017, 04:09 PM
I've used Comodo too and it's been good.

Urbex
03-12-2017, 04:16 PM
I only use Ad-Block Plus addons for all my browsers and then Windows Defender. I don't do stupid stuff that gets people viruses for the most part. No real need to pay a company to protect me when I can do it myself

RGBKittens
04-22-2017, 02:44 PM
i've been using malwarebytes pro with no problem. just set your bots folder as an exclusion

Riviera
04-23-2017, 11:20 AM
i recently purchase norton antivirus ;o;
should have read this article beforehand.

sorahloveless
04-25-2017, 02:05 AM
I actually like certain tweaks certain antiviruses provide. I've come as far to believing that antivirus companies are the ones actually providing backdoors to viruses.