PDA

View Full Version : The Black Lives Matter Movement, in light of recent events?

starlin
07-07-2016, 11:59 PM
I've been a blubbering baby all evening over the recent events here in the US involving the deaths of two black men at the hands of police and the deaths of four unrelated police officers in the midst of those protesting in the names of the two deceased men. It's heartbreaking, and I also find it quite scary.

So I turned to Facebook--sifted through the comments to trending media, read the posts of my less word-shy friends--and I was even more appalled. I've always held inwardly that the issues addressed by the Black Lives Matter Movement (BLM) are complex, and, quite frankly, I've found the movement itself (not its ultimate goal but many of its actions, perspectives, attitudes, sub-goals) to be a very wrong approach for bringing about justice for the men wrongfully killed. Apparently, though, according to the kind words of some family members and friends from behind their computer screens, if I cannot wholeheartedly jump to the support of BLM now, I'm "part of the problem." The posts are everywhere; if you fit one of the vague descriptions on this list, "You're part of the problem." They're often accompanied on personal feeds by "and tell me so I can block you." One thing I know for sure: I don't want to associate with that cold, divisive, hateful aggression.

So, with Facebook giving me no outlet for my sadness and concern (and with none of said family members or friends knowing that their words actually hurt people, even if they're borrowed from others and spoken online), I find myself taking to ck. I've found that this community is usually good at holding intelligent, level-headed conversation, so I'm really wondering what you guys are thinking right now. I'll jump in with more of what I think in a bit, but for now I'll take the standpoint of being an individual brokenhearted over the lives lost but an individual who is not for the Black Lives Matter Movement in its current form. (Or for the way that these men's deaths, unfortunately, are necessitating a debate that, despite the very point of the debate, ends up dehumanizing them. I hope their deaths can bring about more good somehow than what seems to be coming as a result.)

So what are your thoughts at that point? For BLM? Against? What's the right approach here?

Lincoln
07-08-2016, 12:21 AM
The shots came from above the protesters. Until we have a suspect, it's not good to point fingers, and some people seem to be using this tragedy as political ammunition against BLM.

I just can't stand people using the term 'all lives matter' to respond to BLM.

starlin
07-08-2016, 12:41 AM
The shots came from above the protesters. Until we have a suspect, it's not good to point fingers, and some people seem to be using this tragedy as political ammunition against BLM.

I just can't stand people using the term 'all lives matter' to respond to BLM.

For the sake of objective conversation, I've edited the original post to refrain from lumping the snipers with the protestors below.

Lincoln
07-08-2016, 12:42 AM
For the sake of objective conversation, I've edited the original post to refrain from lumping the snipers with the protestors below.

Omg no I didn't mean you were doing this at all! Sorry if it came off that way :) I was saying that too many people I know are lumping them together. Your post was perfectly fine.

starlin
07-08-2016, 12:45 AM
Omg no I didn't mean you were doing this at all! Sorry if it came off that way :) I was saying that too many people I know are lumping them together. Your post was perfectly fine.

Not to worry! I try to be meticulous with really intentional wording, so it was for the best! I don't want anything to be taken the wrong way.

Mindfang
07-08-2016, 03:32 AM
its necessary and cops are racist pigs who kill black people literally every day just for shit they praise white people for.

Lincoln
07-08-2016, 03:45 AM
its necessary and cops are racist pigs who kill black people literally every day just for shit they praise white people for.

Coming on a little strong. There is a systematic issue. That isn't to say that all cops are racist pigs, or that a significant portion of our law enforcement here in the stAtes are exclusively going around killing black people.

Naked Gamer
07-08-2016, 04:25 AM
All i see is another shooting and another reason to never go to the US ill stay nice and safe in Australia with my kangaroo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aska
07-08-2016, 01:31 PM
America is corrupt. People are tired of the corruption and most people can peacefully protest to bring light to innocent black men being murdered by white cops.

After many instances of cops getting off the hook, we're done. This is complete bull that people of power are not held to the same standards of the common folk. I am all about bringing light to these issues but murdering innocent people is just going to further put fear into the people of power.

starlin
07-08-2016, 03:25 PM
But I feel like everybody has a different version of what the movement is trying to do. Is it about making sure that those in law enforcement are held to the same standards as others, about eradicating racism that innately plagues privileged white folk in general, or about addressing a more isolated problem of racism in law enforcement? (I'll stick with my belief that most people of BLM don't just hate cops in general and leave that out of this.) I'll take the liberty in concluding it's all of the above, and that's why I think the views end up intersecting and anger becomes directed at "racist white cops"--referring to the individuals of BLM who do, in fact, feel anger directly at "racist white cops" and those outside of the movement who wrongfully feel like the entire movement is about hating "racist white cops."

So my view: We're all against racism; that's not a heated topic in the US. So there is certainly a way to unify people in bringing about justice for black individuals, but I feel BLM is not doing that. BLM is creating two sides in a battle in which we all really want the same thing. There has to be a better way.

Sci_Girl
07-08-2016, 03:51 PM
The better way is starting to teach your kids now that we are all equal. Behavior needs to change. The current people are lost to their own opinions so they will not bring about good change. It starts with teaching our little ones to be respectful, to be good individuals, and to be caring of everyone around. Start with them young and they learn not to hate, not to cause trouble, not to make everyone else around afraid of what they may do next. Change comes from wanting it, so far the US is not wanting good change. They want to scream they are right and everyone else is wrong.

If the ltitle ones, the future generation, can be good people and not encite so much hate then maybe just maybe change can happen.

Mama Bear
07-08-2016, 05:14 PM

Generalising large groups with the descriptors of some members is indeed troubling (pretty sure I've replied to you in the past about generalising, but anyway). For example, that black men are criminals/armed/dangerous. That perpetuates harmful thinking. Another example is that all cops are racist pigs. To tar all with the same brush is not only ignorant and wrong, but it's also harmful thinking.

Are there some African-American males who ARE criminals/armed/dangerous? Yes. Are there some cops who ARE racist/corrupt? Yes. But in both cases, there are many who do not fit that description. There is a problem with the system, definitely. I just cannot help but see it as hypocritical though when you're hating an entire group because of some of its members. As cynical as it is, there are going to be bad apples in any societal group. There are shifty lawyers, but that doesn't mean they all are. There are some priests who are child molesters; not all of them are. There are jaded teachers only in it for the paycheck, but that doesn't mean I am. Resorting to petty name-calling and a "fuck the police"-type attitude does zero to address the major issues. It just creates another barrier of ignorance and hate that is an obstacle to improvement.

May I also ask what "shit they praise white people for" you're talking about?

jongeh
07-09-2016, 04:17 AM
the BLM movement is a joke. If the people that were affiliated with that group actually believed in that statement, instead of protesting every time a black suspect is shot by the police, they would address the real issues. Blacks kill more of their own race each year than whites killing blacks and also cops killing blacks. In fact, cops kill more white suspects than black suspects in a year.
Some people argue that due to African Americans making up a smaller percentage of the population, that ratio should reflect in police killing statistics. Well, they should go and read the statistics that say that although African Americans make up about 13% of the total pop of USA, they commit more than half of all total crime.

BLM is itself a racist organisation based on hate - one of the founding members is a cop killer. Her name is Assata Shakur. These people are radicals and it was only a matter of time before they inspired something like this Dallas shooting incidence.

Urbex
07-09-2016, 11:46 AM
I'm all for equality for everyone. I don't support the BLM group. They preach white-hate and they're based on themes of division and hatred, that's not something I can stand behind. Their attitude of "If you're not 100% for us, you're 100% against us" pisses me off too.

I treat everyone as equal, that goes for blacks, whites, gays, straights, Christians, Muslims, whatever the group. Why can't I support equal rights without joining a group based solely on hating those not in the group? The media does an awfully good job of making racist cops seem like a majority and making black aggressive men seem like a majority. This isn't a black people vs. white people issue and groups that are turning this into that are very wrong.

I also find the name very annoying. Black lives do matter. Nobody is arguing that. But ALL lives matter. Black lives do not matter more than white lives just as white lives do not matter more than black lives. Anyone who says "all lives matter" is disrespectful, in my mind, is confused as to what equality means.

Irohh
07-09-2016, 12:18 PM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

The BLM movement hijacked a vigil for victims for the Orlando shooting. That kind of disrespect is why I don't support them

Mindfang
07-09-2016, 12:41 PM
Generalising large groups with the descriptors of some members is indeed troubling (pretty sure I've replied to you in the past about generalising, but anyway). For example, that black men are criminals/armed/dangerous. That perpetuates harmful thinking. Another example is that all cops are racist pigs. To tar all with the same brush is not only ignorant and wrong, but it's also harmful thinking.

Are there some African-American males who ARE criminals/armed/dangerous? Yes. Are there some cops who ARE racist/corrupt? Yes. But in both cases, there are many who do not fit that description. There is a problem with the system, definitely. I just cannot help but see it as hypocritical though when you're hating an entire group because of some of its members. As cynical as it is, there are going to be bad apples in any societal group. There are shifty lawyers, but that doesn't mean they all are. There are some priests who are child molesters; not all of them are. There are jaded teachers only in it for the paycheck, but that doesn't mean I am. Resorting to petty name-calling and a "fuck the police"-type attitude does zero to address the major issues. It just creates another barrier of ignorance and hate that is an obstacle to improvement.

May I also ask what "shit they praise white people for" you're talking about?

i dont trust police because they have systematic power over people and use it to their advantage. i really dont believe in "good cops". generalising sure is bad, but i cannot look at anyone in the police force and feel any level of safety. i feel especially unsafe if police are around, because i know they have the power to hurt me for any reason. i dont feel pity for police, because being an officer or anything like that is a choice, being a minority (in my case Not A CisHet, in the threads case Not White). they accept the danger of being killed on the job as they sign up for it, black people do not sign up for police brutality when they are born black, but they receive it regardless.

i dont generalise people as a general rule, but after run-ins with multiple types of people that fall into the same category of person that all gave me a reason to dislike them, generalising just makes sense to me personally, and its something i do for my own safety. not all cops are bad, but the ones ive met, the ones ive read about, the ones who use their power to kill black people, are the ones i see most of, and are the ones i avoid all cops just to make sure i never have a run-in with one of the bad ones.
you have a 6 pack of sodas and you sip 2 and both are piss, youre not gonna fuckin open and sip the rest because of the danger theyre also probably piss.

call it whatever you want, but i feel my dislike of all cops is justified. you choose to be in that system knowing how corrupt it is, thats an issue with you in my eyes.

also, maybe "praise" wasnt the right word, but white people DO get away with a lot of shit black people get gunned down/beaten for. too lazy to dig up articles and examples, but take into account the whites walking around target with assault rifles on their backs, and then take into account the black 12 year old who was gunned down for playing with a toy gun. the white people who literally hold guns to peoples heads and get off with either a warning or some jailtime, and the blacks who even walk down the street with a gun they have a right to hold (isnt that the big debate right now?) and are gunned down, and THEN take into account, outside the case of guns, where you see all these cute little stories with cops visiting white peoples house parties and smoking pot with them, then the fact black people have their deaths justified because they smoked a joint or drew a pot leaf on a desk once.

blm is necessary because in a world where black people are killed by the handful every week, it feels like theyre expendable by everyone and nobody feels differently. when you need entire movements to prove to people youre human and need basic respect from those meant to protect and serve, you know theres an issue.

Misha
07-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Racism is taught. Hate is taught. Police corruption is a problem. The public needs to rise up and shut the government down and dismantle it completely to start from scratch. Violence will not accomplish this, unless our voices lead to direct violence, then I say it's warranted. No innocent lives should be lost for any reason. I am sickened by the deaths of the innocent black men, I am also sickened by the deaths of the police officers in Dallas. The media is pulling each group of people further apart from one another to further the government's agenda to keep taking our rights away; and it's fucking working. Period. A civil war will happen.

starlin
07-09-2016, 01:33 PM
Peridot, your experiences, like those of so many others, have caused you to develop a fear of law enforcement. That's not wrong; that's human nature. Fear is a survival instinct.

But I do know good cops. A dear friend of mine pulled over a vehicle routinely for speeding two weeks ago. The driver turned out to be a [black] man who had eight warrants out for his arrest. When the cop returned to his car to request backup because of the man's record of violence, the man exited his car and began running away and shooting at my friend, the cop. Thankfully my friend is okay, but he'll certainly carry that impression, that fear, with him for the rest of his career. And can you blame him?

The unfortunate truth, as statistics and our own observations of the world show, as unpopular as it is to say, is that cops have an imbalanced number of dangerous encounters with black individuals, because many neighborhoods in which crime rates are high have predominantly black populations (yes, poverty among said communities that breeds some of these problems is an issue that needs to be addressed too). So when cops have numerous scary run-ins with a specific group of people, they're naturally going to be more fearful and on-guard with those of that group. Is it fair to those who belong to that group who are peaceful and law-abiding? No, of course not. But, just like your generalized fear of all cops that is unfair to the good cops, it's human nature. Cops are human too. Are some cops racist and/or hateful? Of course. But are some black individuals racist and/or hateful. Yes too.

Point is, a solution won't be reached until we realize that there is responsibility on both sides and respond with compassion to each other's different fears. People of the black community in general have to work to teach their children that aggression and confrontation aren't how to engage with people; those in law enforcement in general have to fight their race-based skepticism and be held to the same standards as others; those who act out in true racism need to be punished, whether black, white, cop, unemployed, gay, straight, whatever; and the media has to stop fueling the fears of both sides. True racism, I believe, isn't as widespread as the media would have you to believe, and its portrayal adds to the fears that black individuals feel, as I have seen in my own friends. And the media portrays black individuals as criminals if given the opportunity, regardless of the circumstances surrounding their stories, thus perpetuating cops' (and others') fears of them, as I have also witnessed in my friends.

Clair
07-09-2016, 02:56 PM
Urbex A way that helped me to understand the "Black Lives Matter": It's kind of like if someone is having a breast cancer rally, and then someone else comes in saying but what about lung cancer? Lung cancer matters too!!

It's not that saying black lives matter means that all lives don't matter, of course they do. It's just that I think all white people have a sense that their lives are important and a degree of safety in that respect. Whereas to see people who are singled out because they are the same race as you, and to be pretty much executed by someone who is meant to protect them (a police man), and to see this happen over and over. It seems like their lives don't matter then. So it's not that Black lives matter more than anyone elses, in fact that's the problem is that right now it's seeming like they really don't matter to the justice system

I think a more accurate name for the movement is "Black Lives Matter Too".

One thing that my friends have tried to explain to me who are POC is that being able to see everyone as equal, is actually part of white privilege as well. That we have the luxury to live in a "color blind" world, only white people would ever say that. Because if you aren't white, it is constantly pointed out to you by our society. And how if you are white, you are naturally a part of the white oppression, whether you want to be or not, just because it is ingrained into the current state of our society and we always benefit from it whether we realize it or not. This doesn't mean you or I are a bad person, just something that is important to be aware of and sensitive to.

That being said I agree it is hard to deal with the 100% with us or 100% against us attitude that some people have. And I have lost friendships over it actually, a girl who used to be my best friend she gets super angry about it and it would feel like I was being attacked. And it became more and more until this was all she ever wanted to talk about. It started to feel like she saw me first as white and second as her friend, whereas for me she was always first and foremost my friend even while I wanted to respect her identity as a black woman. When I expressed this to her she said that it was again my luxury as a white person that I could see her first as a friend. I don't think I can agree with that. It's hard to feel scared to be attacked all the time, or be excluded often by your friend group from events or topics or having an opinion or a voice just because of your race. And also feeling like these feeling of sadness or exclusion in my own friend group aren't valid at all, just because it isn't the case within the whole of our university or the nation. My feelings based on our personal relationship don't matter to her as much as her feelings based on the macro oppression that is present in society. I still support her so much and wish the best for her and completely support the BLM as well but it became too hard to continue being close because the way she wanted to deal with it (as is her right) just tore us apart.

I think a very natural response is to fight the hate with more hate, or more accurately righteous anger and generalized mistrust that looks like hate. Perfect example of the "eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" was the police execution followed by the killing of policemen. Or the Baltimore riots. Or on a smaller level of attacking someone instead of trying to help them understand. But then the violence just escalates. I can never know what it feels like, so who am I to tell people how they should respond to things? I guess I just feel like it would be more successful to respond peacefully, cause all this violence and hate just leads to more and more mistrust and divisiveness. And it's important to note that the vast majority of the BLM movement is peaceful but there will always be outliers.

paradox
07-09-2016, 11:08 PM
I really don't understand why the KKK is seen as bad by everyone but white surpremacists but the BLM movement gets the green light everywhere.

Are they not similar? I certainly think so. They preach the same things (black hate, white hate, kill all "X" race here). They disrupt pride parades, shut down libraries, constantly preach about how white people are the devil, hate cops (who aren't all bad - those who commit crimes and abuse power must be prosecuted, but that's another matter) who defend citizens and without them everyone would be screwed, etc...I just have no idea how people can support them.

They started out as a group raising awareness for the injustice around black lives (which is commendable), but it derailed quickly and is now just a hate movement. Every time a video of them surfaces on social media it's always featuring their members screaming and unable to deal with the situation rationally.

Roslyn
07-10-2016, 02:41 AM
I really don't understand why the KKK is seen as bad by everyone but white surpremacists but the BLM movement gets the green light everywhere.

Are they not similar? I certainly think so. They preach the same things (black hate, white hate, kill all "X" race here). They disrupt pride parades, shut down libraries, constantly preach about how white people are the devil, hate cops (who aren't all bad - those who commit crimes and abuse power must be prosecuted, but that's another matter) who defend citizens and without them everyone would be screwed, etc...I just have no idea how people can support them.

They started out as a group raising awareness for the injustice around black lives (which is commendable), but it derailed quickly and is now just a hate movement. Every time a video of them surfaces on social media it's always featuring their members screaming and unable to deal with the situation rationally.

Your ignorance is astounding. If you think the Black Lives Matter movement is a hate movement then you're part of the problem.

ThePrimeOfAllPrimes
07-10-2016, 08:43 AM
BLM is in no way a hate movement. It is simply a protest against the discrimination of African Americans and what they represent. Its a way for them to stop being looked at as "lesser beings".

Stay down, you do not want to get up.

Mophead
07-10-2016, 10:51 AM
I'll never understand the Black Lives Matter movement.

While I'm all for equality, they're going about it the wrong way. As people have mentioned previously in this thread, they are going about it in a sense where "If you're not 100% with us, then you're against us".
That's not true.
In today's society black lives hold no value more than whites, mexicans, asians. Nor do males hold any value above females, or any other gender, though that's another topic. All lives are equal, regardless of how much people refuse to acknowledge that.

A cop, while they may hold more power than an unarmed civilian is not worth more than the unarmed civilian. A construction worked, isn't worth less than a doctor. A student isn't worth less whoever the hell you want to compare them to.

Everybody who reads this, I want you to take a step back and consider something. Where would Martin Luther King be on this movement? Would he be with the Black Lives Matter movement, or would he be against it?
He'd be against it.
Martin Luther King Jr. was not advocating simply black rights. While he was advocating that they get better rights in the society, he never held them above any other race. He wasn't trying to pit the blacks against the whites. He was trying to unify EVERYONE together. You here about his most known speech, "I Have a Dream". But that man had many other speeches, and people never acknowledge them, and people often don't understand them or what he was trying to do.
Are the leaders of BLM really going to say that Martin Luther King was against the black oppression? I sure as shit hope not.

Now, on to the police shootings.

Black Lives Matter should be advocating different media coverage. A more fair media coverage.
There are more unarmed white males shot and killed by police than there are unarmed black males shot by police. A simple Google search will show this.
For instance, we all know about Ferguson and what happened. At the same time that all happened, there was an unarmed white male (18 years old I believe) shot and killed in Salt Lake City. But did the media cove it? They didn't. In July of last year, an unarmed white male was shot over marijuana possession. The officer was tried, but no charges were ever able to be pressed contrary to the families outrage.

So why is it such a big deal when an unarmed black male gets shot?
Because people love controversy and shit. Why does the media showcase the shooting of an unarmed black male? Because it causes controversy and shit.

If a white man were to get shot today. Unarmed, no reason to be shot right. Would the media broadcast it? No.
Would the populace react to it negatively? No. It's just another white death.
But if a black male gets shot 6 months down the road once all this is over. What's going to happen?
We're going to see more cop killings, and riots because the slaying will be broadcasted and people eat that shit up to spark hate.

And if people really wanna get down to the knitty gritty in arguments and bring up slavery, and say whites are racist because of the slave days 150 years ago. Let me point out a few things.

1.) No living white person in America to this day, owned a slave.
2.) No living black person in America to this day, was a slave.
3.) Slavery in the states was originally introduced by a black merchant from Africa who brought over blacks specifically FOR TRADE.
A black man sold other black people off to the white man. So if you really wanna be pissed at that stuff. Blame it on that guy.

You can't hate white people because they owned a slave 150 years ago. None of the living white people today did.
You can't hate and kill cops because there was a corrupt cop killing. Killing a cop could have just killed someone who was on your side about an unjustified cop killing.
You can't say that all people are of one group.

Not all cops are bad.
Not all whites are racist.
Not all blacks are gangbangers and criminals.
And not all Mopheads are dickheads.

Think I got derailed a little somewhere in there.
But the Black Lives Matter movement is just the epitome of awful right now.

jongeh
07-10-2016, 12:09 PM
Mophead
I totally agree with you.

However, Regarding MLK, you may be surprised. He was responsible for a lot of bad stuff. You should read into it.

Urbex
07-10-2016, 12:58 PM
Mophead
I completely agree with you. I think we have a lot of the same views on this sort of stuff based on our two posts.
I agree especially with the point you made about the media. White people get killed all the time for no reason but there isn't race riots and media coverage about it. Why? Because that news won't sell. Nobody will care. I'm not saying we need media coverage of these events, but it's interesting to see the bias that the media has and the biases that its viewers have.

Everyone is equal and to claim that your movement is about equal rights when you say that every white person is a "part of the problem" seems highly contradictory to me.
What makes you say that? What do you think about this issue?
Just saying everybody is wrong doesn't help contribute to the discussion nor will it fix anything

starlin
07-10-2016, 01:23 PM
If you think the Black Lives Matter movement is a hate movement then you're part of the problem.

Why, though, can't those who are with BLM recognize its flaws? Even its potential flaws? Even how people can possibly perceive it as a hate movement? I don't view it as a hate movement--I like to believe that there are extremely well-meaning people who are a part of it and that its heart is not one of violence, hate, and racism--but I can certainly see how people would see it as a hate movement with the police killings, the terrible things said to and about cops and white folk in general by an increasing number of people who are supposed to belong to an extremely small minority of BLM, and the distasteful protests (before I am misquoted, I'm not saying that all of their protests are distasteful). This view that if you dare receive the wrong impression of us or dare to perceive us in a way in which we don't want to come across, you're the enemy is something I find extremely problematic. This is something that I think is one of the fundamental flaws of BLM: it's the general logic behind "you received the wrong impression of me; therefore it's your fault that you did, regardless of my actions that may have contributed."

Roslyn
07-11-2016, 03:44 PM
How blessed some of you are for not being able to understand what the Black Lives Matter Movement is actually about or feel empathy for the minorities that are asking for their basic human rights to be met. All the blanket statements in this thread, "They" and "Them" and "Their." The language here from some of you is simple evidence in of privilege.

Thousands of peaceful protesters. Black families of victims encouraging peaceful protests. Seriously. But let's blame all of "them" because of the angry extremist BUT woah woah woah black people, not all whites are bad.
starlin
If you believe there isn't widespread racism in this country, well, that explains your rhetoric. "I like to believe there are extremely well-meaning people..." Really? Do you? Because that statement in itself is a reflection of skepticism. Of course the BLM movement would mean nothing to you because you don't believe there is racism... Or at least, in your opinion, enough" racism to justify the outcry.

starlin
07-11-2016, 05:26 PM
Angie, I can tell that your post has a hint of bitterness, and I don't really want to debate to the point of getting anyone upset here--I don't want to offend anyone because I'm not against any single individuals--but before I answer your last response, I just want to point out that you never addressed my question about why nobody who supports BLM will acknowledge its flaws/potential flaws. Do you see it as a movement that hasn't caused any problems or can cause no problems? Can you not see why some are concerned about it? You say that those of us here who are against BLM don't have any empathy for those who experience racism (and while I think most here who have expressed that we see problems with BLM have shown that we still do care about the black population that has and does experience racism, that's beside my point), but BLM as I've witnessed it doesn't (and you in your own post don't) show empathy or demonstrate understanding for those who believe differently about BLM or have possibly received the wrong impression. I mentioned in my last post some of the negative things that have been associated with BLM. I think we can agree they aren't good things, regardless of what we believe caused them or who is to blame. Can't you understand why someone who sees cops being killed at BLM protests would get the wrong impression of BLM? Can't you understand why those who have friends and family members who are cops and have received the wrong impression of BLM are upset? Can't you show understanding to those people and then gently explain what you believe and why their impressions are wrong instead of instantly condemning and saying "you're part of the problem" so harshly?

Now I'll answer to what you've said. Blanket statements are flying both ways in this thread and in the entire debate. I've read countless messages that begin "dear white people" in the past week, and I don't have a problem with it personally, as long as generalized statements are accepted for all parties and as long as people can look past them intelligently. But, as you said, blanket statements aren't accepted right now, and that's when I'd just appreciate the concern for blanket statements go both ways. That's where I'm coming from with that one.

Next, as for the blaming peaceful protesters part, I don't blame the peaceful protestors. As I mentioned above, I am bothered by BLM's failure to take a real look at its methods, its message, and its influence. It does not and will not take responsibility for any problems it might cause--and not just problems caused by lone wolves here and there.

In the post you've referred to, I said that I believe "true racism" isn't as widespread as it's made out to be. What I mean by that is that I do not believe that there are widespread numbers of white people who hate black people in general and black people who hate white people in general, just for the color of their skin. I come back to fear as an example of a root of racist actions absent true racism. I do not consider a black man who is afraid of white cops because he has experienced brutal white cops to be truly racist. If he flinches at the sight of every white cop and not at the sight of a black cop, it is, by definition, a racist behavior. But he's not acting on hate; he's acting on fear, and he probably wouldn't be afraid of a white man if he encountered one in a doctor's uniform, for example, and he probably wouldn't say he hates all white people. The same can be true for people of any race in so many scenarios. I don't praise these inclinations, but I understand them. So that's another reason why I feel like BLM isn't the answer, because it's not easing people's fears that fuel much of the "racism" (only placing in quotations because it's different from how I've been defining it, not saying that it's not racism by definition) we see. It's not bettering the reputations of the nonviolent black individuals whom cops are skeptical of because of their encounters, and it's not bettering the reputations of nonviolent cops whom black individuals are skeptical of because of their encounters. It's only feeding the two, because it is forcing opposing encounters between black individuals and cops. And just so this is clear, I am not against justice for black individuals who are victims of racism. I am for it. All I've said is that BLM isn't the way.

"I like to believe" is a statement that reflects my level of knowledge. I have not had a first-hand encounter with an official BLM protest. I have only seen comments from individuals (friends, family, acquaintances alike) on social media, and they have been extremely negative, so I am skeptical but unsettled about my view of all BLM participants, so I choose to remain optimistic based on what I think but acknowledge my inability to speak with certainty. To be fair, I do not want base my view of all of BLM's participants entirely on my limited encounters.

Roslyn
07-11-2016, 11:52 PM
tl;dr

I don't consider extremists and the Black Lives Matter movement synonymous. Simple as that. Clearly you do. Not going to argue with you if that's what you believe.

Lol. Bitterness. Ignorance is perhaps one of my least favorite traits in a person.

edit:
Just for clarity I don't have time to read what you wrote. Regardless, as a rule of thumb I don't try to argue with people who have already decided what they believe.

Ghosts
07-12-2016, 01:32 AM
call it whatever you want, but i feel my dislike of all cops is justified. you choose to be in that system knowing how corrupt it is, thats an issue with you in my eyes.

Oh, because it's impossible that somebody wants to become a police officer so that they can actually help people and make a difference in their community? Yeah, of course they know there's corruption going into it, but I don't understand how that makes you think of them as less than anybody else. Be the change you want to see in the world. Not everybody that becomes a cop is in it for bad reasons. Most aren't.

Also, it pisses me off so much when people say stupid shit like this:

where you see all these cute little stories with cops visiting white peoples house parties and smoking pot with them, then the fact black people have their deaths justified because they smoked a joint or drew a pot leaf on a desk once.

You're literally nitpicking certain one off events without any context or evidence whatsoever. Link me to a news article about somebody being killed for drawing a pot leaf. Link me to a "cute story" about cops smoking with white people at a party. You're exaggerating on both ends of the spectrum, making it seem like there's a bigger gap between how white/black people are treated on average. You're part of the fucking problem. The media does the same shit because it gets people mad, gets them reading/watching more, which makes them money. They blow shit way out of proportion so that they get clicks. It's fucked up, it makes people scared of shit that really, you don't have to worry about. The chances of a cop shooting/killing/arresting you if you're not doing anything wrong is slim to none.

America is fucked up. No matter what happens, there will be people that generalize and blow shit way out of proportion, either for their own gain or some other reason. There are certainly things that could be fixed, but that is one of the biggest problems in my opinion. Everyone just chill the fuck out.

Jeongyeon
07-12-2016, 01:41 AM
tl;dr

I don't consider extremists and the Black Lives Matter movement synonymous. Simple as that. Clearly you do. Not going to argue with you if that's what you believe.

Lol. Bitterness. Ignorance is perhaps one of my least favorite traits in a person.

edit:
Just for clarity I don't have time to read what you wrote. Regardless, as a rule of thumb I don't try to argue with people who have already decided what they believe.

Angie, that is quite weak and unfair :P The dude presented solid points against your arguments. If you are not bothered to even read any counter arguments against yours, dont bother posting at all. This is a debate xone is it not? :P

Roslyn
07-12-2016, 03:57 AM
Angie, that is quite weak and unfair :P The dude presented solid points against your arguments. If you are not bothered to even read any counter arguments against yours, dont bother posting at all. This is a debate xone is it not? :P

Most of the arguments he/she presented stemmed from the belief that the Black Lives Matter movement and extremism are symbiotic. starlin is blaming BLM for being associated with violence. I think what he or she needs to ask is who exactly is it a associating the movement with violence? What else is there to debate?

I posted my opinion. Someone disagreed. I don't agree with their arguments. I'm smart enough to know that's generally time to step away. I can interject my opinion without having to ping-pong back and forth.

Anyways, starlin, your posts here are filled with so much hypocrisy it hurts my head which is honestly why I find it futile to debate with you. My heart goes out to the police officers who died tragically and yes, I have friends and family in the force. Yet I still support BLM. Believe it or not, you can support both. I think it's telling that you use "you're part of the problem" hurting your feelings as one of your arguments. BLM is about equality and human rights. If you're not with that, then why yes, you ARE part of the problem.

P.S. If your experience is based off of negative social media experiences, you need better friends.

Sci_Girl
07-12-2016, 06:47 AM
I think what he or she needs to ask is who exactly is it a associating the movement with violence?

I am curious. There are many people who have been witness to the various BLM protests all over the Country. Some of those protests have involved setting cars on fire, breaking into stores, causing a disturbance on freeways/highways. Even those in Dallas who witnessed the killing of Police Officers . If someone on the sidelines witnessed these acts would they not believe BLM is associated with violence? So to answer your question those associating it to violence are those who have witnessed it first hand. Or is that way off base?

Mindfang
07-12-2016, 07:35 AM
the Not All Cops/Whites/Men/Whatever the Fuck rhetoric is so tiring and not even worth a response but thanks i guess

Roslyn
07-12-2016, 09:56 AM
I am curious. There are many people who have been witness to the various BLM protests all over the Country. Some of those protests have involved setting cars on fire, breaking into stores, causing a disturbance on freeways/highways. Even those in Dallas who witnessed the killing of Police Officers . If someone on the sidelines witnessed these acts would they not believe BLM is associated with violence? So to answer your question those associating it to violence are those who have witnessed it first hand. Or is that way off base?

I believe media outlets and racists have been perpetuating the idea that BLM is built around violence. BLM is high profile - of course violent extremists are going twist it to fit their agendas. Even still, I don't blame BLM for violent protesters. I don't blame Christianity for extremist Christians. I don't blame Islam for ISIS.

starlin
07-12-2016, 10:52 AM
tl;dr

edit:

I think my post made it very clear that I do not consider the whole BLM movement and extremists to be synonymous, but, as you said, you didn't bother to read, so you couldn't possibly know what I actually believe, and therefore there is, indeed, no sense in continuing. However, if you're going to say that "Most of the arguments he/she presented stemmed from the belief that the Black Lives Matter movement and extremism are symbiotic," I'd hope you could back that up, because I never said that. In fact, I've said the direct opposite a couple of times. What I did say, though, is that I have the ability to dig into my brain and understand how some people could have received the wrong impression of BLM. But you cannot seem to fathom such a thing or give a gentle answer to those people.

And lastly, just as you said you can both feel for the cops killed and be for BLM (which is something I've never disagreed with), you can also be for equality and human rights and against BLM.

Roslyn
07-12-2016, 12:59 PM
starlin

"We're all against racism."

Disagree. Racism is a very prevalent force in this country. How deluded are you to think that we're ALL against racism? If that were true, why is it so hard to unify as one?

"BLM is creating two sides in a battle in which we all really want the same thing."

This contradicts your statement above. BLM is about equality and human rights. It's about the fucked up criminal justice system. If we're all, ya know, against racism, then how is the premise of BLM creating two sides?

-insert story here about cop friend who was shot at by a criminal who happened to be black- "...He'll certainly carry that impression, that fear, with the rest of his career. And can you blame him?"

Yes. I can.
I'm a soldier. I've had friends and coworkers die at the hands of extremists. But I don't fear Muslims or people who look like Muslims. It sounds like your friend shouldn't be in law enforcement.

"This is something that I think is one of the fundamental flaws of BLM: it's the general logic behind "you received the wrong impression of me; therefore it's your fault that you did, regardless of my actions that may have contributed."

I'm going to start this off with the statement that the majority of supporters of the BLM movement aren't criminals. I'll move on to my next point.

Tell me what these people, who are not criminals, did to perpetuate the wrong impression?

"Regardless of my actions that may have contributed."

You lumped BLM movement all together at the beginning of this statement. This implies you believe that BLM supporters in general, contribute to this wrong impression. That these non-criminal supporters have perpetuated a negative stigma. What's this contribution? Looking a certain way? Being black? Advocating for human rights and equality which is what BLM is?

"I am bothered by BLM's failure to take a real look at its methods, it's message, and its influence. It does not and will not take responsibility for any problems it might cause--and not just problems caused by lone wolves here and there."

So again. BLM's message: equality. Preservation of human rights. An end to a warped justice system. But let's blame them not only for the lone wolves but the BLM message in general. Which, again, is equality. Is that what you're getting at? The movement should be responsible for wrongful interpretations of its meaning. Interpretations that are mostly made by racists. That's not logical whatsoever.

You realize that after the Dallas shooting, there were outpours of BLM leaders condemning the event? Reminders from BLM supporters that the dreams of the movement would not be achieved with violence. Are you deaf to the people encouraging peaceful protest? To not fight this battle with violence? THIS is what BLM is. THIS is what I support.

"BLM isn't the way."
Let me translate this for you:
Equality isn't the way. Human rights isn't the way. Fixing the justice system isn't the way. Not having 12-year-old boys shot down for the color of their skin and "perceived" threat isn't the way. Don't argue with me on this one. Tamir Rice wouldn't have been shot if he was white.

"But you cannot fathom such a thing or give a gentle answer to those people."

Lol. You and your sensitivity. Of course I'm going to get pissed. Your statements are rooted in privilege and victim blaming. Yet you're upset when you're called out for what you are.

"...You can also be for equality and human rights and against BLM."

For the last time, this contradicts itself. Because if you understood BLM you'd know BLM and equality and human rights ARE FUCKING SYNONYMOUS. Black Lives Matter because the lives of blacks matter. Simple. You disagree with that? Really?

Sci_Girl
07-12-2016, 02:15 PM
BLM protested in Canada. Stopped the Toronto Pride Parade to get what they want. Not violence laden or about shooting Black people. It was a protest about equality. And stopped a major City event to make an Official sign a list of demands including "removal of Police floats in marches/parades". I did not know BLM was making their way here.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Irohh
07-12-2016, 02:19 PM
Honestly the media is so biased when dealing with these things, and it's seriously messed up that corrupt cops are killing African Americans for the color of their skin. But I think antagonizing other people when you're essentially on the same side isn't right, we need to be united to end the threat that is racial profiling and Killing innocent people!
America is so divided right now and it hurts me to see our country so torn, there are obviously a lot of underlying causes that need to be dealt with so we can stop the hatred and violence

starlin
07-12-2016, 02:30 PM
Thanks for responding, Angie. I do appreciate it. I know I tend to write a lot.

"Disagree. Racism is a very prevalent force in this country. How deluded are you to think that we're ALL against racism? If that were true, why is it so hard to unify as one?"

You're right. We're not all against racism. I was generalizing there, and I didn't actually mean that there were no individuals out there who aren't proud in their racism. But I do believe that the vast majority of people would agree that they are against racism. The division right now isn't caused by racism. It's not a division of racists vs. non-racists.

"This contradicts your statement above. BLM is about equality and human rights. It's about the fucked up criminal justice system. If we're all, ya know, against racism, then how is the premise of BLM creating two sides?"

No, it doesn't contradict my other statement. The two sides I was referring to there are the side of those crying for justice for the black community and the side of those crying for a fair judgment of cops. Like you and I agree (I think, correct me if I'm wrong), the two don't have to be divided sides. You can want cops to be judged fairly and fight for justice for the black community, and the reverse is true. That's what I mean by "two sides in a battle in which we all really want the same thing." Both sides (in general, I believe) want to see an end to racism, want to see justice for blacks, and want cops to be judged fairly.

"Yes. I can.
I'm a soldier. I've had friends and coworkers die at the hands of extremists. But I don't fear Muslims or people who look like Muslims. It sounds like your friend shouldn't be in law enforcement."

Okay, then I can't touch that. That's your view. But I stand by mine that if you're going to accept that black individuals are afraid of white cops because of their experiences, whether it's a good inclination to feel or not, you have to allow the same for the other side and whatever patterns cops have witnessed. And whether a good inclination to have or not, I think it warrants empathy. I have no experienced in the military, so I can't really speak first-hand on this, but I do know those who are not as fortunate as you in being able to separate what they have witnessed from separate events. But I do think that is a good thing to be able to say, but again, I think there should still be empathy for the others.

"I'm going to start this off with the statement that the majority of supporters of the BLM movement aren't criminals. I'll move on to my next point.

Tell me what these people, who are not criminals, did to perpetuate the wrong impression?

You lumped BLM movement all together at the beginning of this statement. This implies you believe that BLM supporters in general, contribute to this wrong impression. That these non-criminal supporters have perpetuated a negative stigma. What's this contribution? Looking a certain way? Being black? Advocating for human rights and equality which is what BLM is?"

Again, you're deducing the wrong information from my words. I attributed the form of logic I mentioned as something that runs rampant in BLM in various forms. I never said that peaceful protestors directly contributed to the bad things done by some, but they do associate with the BLM name. And because they associate with the BLM name, the actions of the movement are going to reflect on them, whether they like it or not. Lone wolves aside, police deaths aside, BLM protests have resulted in a lot of bad things--bad things that entire protesting groups carried out. So, as a movement, BLM should be acknowledging this with an attitude of understanding. Those who identify under its name should be able to approach those who receive the wrong impression and say, "You know what, I understand why you received this impression, but let me show you differently." But that's not what's going on. Those who identify under the BLM name approach those who perceive the movement differently than they would like with "you're part of the problem" and similar language. There is no recognition or understanding of what has been associated with the movement to contribute to alternate views. I don't blame BLM as a whole for the instances of crime in various forms; I do blame it for how it has responded to those instances.

"So again. BLM's message: equality. Preservation of human rights. An end to a warped justice system. But let's blame them not only for the lone wolves but the BLM message in general. Which, again, is equality. Is that what you're getting at? The movement should be responsible for wrongful interpretations of its meaning. Interpretations that are mostly made by racists. That's not logical whatsoever.

You realize that after the Dallas shooting, there were outpours of BLM leaders condemning the event? Reminders from BLM supporters that the dreams of the movement would not be achieved with violence. Are you deaf to the people encouraging peaceful protest? To not fight this battle with violence? THIS is what BLM is. THIS is what I support."

I was referring to the message it is sending to others, not the message it intends to send to others. I should have been more specific, but I felt like my surrounding context showed that I am not against equality, human rights, and ending corruption in the justice system. In fact, I directly said that. This goes back to my last response. I think it's clear that BLM is sending the wrong message to many, and it has to acknowledge this. And notice, in my previous response I left out the Dallas shooting. The Dallas shootings are not the basis for my beliefs.

"Let me translate this for you:
Equality isn't the way. Human rights isn't the way. Fixing the justice system isn't the way. Not having 12-year-old boys shot down for the color of their skin and 'perceived' threat isn't the way. Don't argue with me on this one. Tamir Rice wouldn't have been shot if he was white."

I've never argued that. But saying that BLM is not the way does not equate to "Equality isn't the way. Human rights isn't the way. Fixing the justice system isn't the way."

"Lol. You and your sensitivity. Of course I'm going to get pissed. Your statements are rooted in privilege and victim blaming. Yet you're upset when you're called out for what you are."

I wasn't asking you to show a gentle answer toward me. This statement was about those who disagree with you in general. You called us out those of us who are not for BLM for lacking empathy toward black individuals in our posts. I disagreed, but, regardless, in return I called you out for lacking empathy for others who disagree with you for various reasons--empathy that you have still not shown. I'm not personally hurt by you.

"For the last time, this contradicts itself. Because if you understood BLM you'd know BLM and equality and human rights ARE FUCKING SYNONYMOUS. Black Lives Matter because the lives of blacks matter. Simple. You disagree with that? Really?"

I agree that black lives matter. But I disagree with the approach of Black Lives Matter. I disagree that equality and human rights and BLM are synonymous.

jongeh
07-13-2016, 03:22 PM
How blessed some of you are for not being able to understand what the Black Lives Matter Movement is actually about or feel empathy for the minorities that are asking for their basic human rights to be met. All the blanket statements in this thread, "They" and "Them" and "Their." The language here from some of you is simple evidence in of privilege.

Thousands of peaceful protesters. Black families of victims encouraging peaceful protests. Seriously. But let's blame all of "them" because of the angry extremist BUT woah woah woah black people, not all whites are bad.
starlin
If you believe there isn't widespread racism in this country, well, that explains your rhetoric. "I like to believe there are extremely well-meaning people..." Really? Do you? Because that statement in itself is a reflection of skepticism. Of course the BLM movement would mean nothing to you because you don't believe there is racism... Or at least, in your opinion, enough" racism to justify the outcry.

Not going to even have a personal jib at you, but you should properly read and interpet the stats! 'Blacks' aren't in a 'minority' in terms their percentage of total offenders, or their presence in the prison populace. If you think about it, the ratio of black offenders is higher than white - so that means that there are going to be a higher amount of black offenders when picked out of a random sample of black people on the street on average when compared to when the same study is done for a random sample of white people (on the street). So, one would logically expect that the amount of offenders/convicts (whatever they are) killed by police would be representive of the ethic shares of total offenders. As a matter of fact, the proportions are skewed toward whites, meaning they are actually killed more on average in terms of total death-by-cop, than blacks.

Basically, the body that gets to the morgue (if there was only one for the whole of the USA) is more likely to be white than black or mexican/latino.

One thing that has attributed to the crime rate in the black demographic is gang culture brought on by 'black rap'. The root of black violence and gang culture really needs to be dealt from within by 'blacks'; such as deciding to actually teach their kids what is morally and ethically right and wrong, rather than simply not care. Here you must not assume I mean all black people that live in the USA.

The problem with this is that most of blacks (there are exceptions) do not see that themselves as a culture, not race, are the ones fueling the problem. Blacks need to reduce their crime rate, and in turn will reduce occurance of black suspects of being shot.

Black Lives Matter totally ignores the real problem and instead takes the easy route, which is to be blind and a lot of the time use violence and threat to push its political agenda. That is the definition of terrorism.

Witchy1
07-15-2016, 11:24 AM
White people are shot by police officers too. Look up Dylan Noble, June 25, 2016, Fresno CA. If you think these black men who were shot by the police are innocent, you are mistaken. Anton Sterling: He has a criminal history and he was definitely NOT cooperating with the officers. Asking, "what did I do, what did I do?" while armed and resisting. It doesn't matter what you did at the moment. You comply with the officers commands, cooperate, and don't resist. If they don't explain it to you after that point, you tell your side to the judge. If black people REALLY feel like their lives are in danger by police officers, why would they provoke them? Why resist? AND HE DID!! Two grown men, with a stun gun couldn't take him down! He STILL resisted! I think they had legitimate reason to fear for their safety at that point. Yes, I feel they shot him point blank in the chest after he was down on the ground, but it would have never gotten to that point if he had complied and didn't resist. And we NEVER see these video confrontations from the beginning. We never see what precipitated the events, we only see when the police start to struggle with the individuals, because that is when people start recording for their own agenda.

Philando Castile: If that were my husband/child's father, I wouldn't be just sitting there saying, "tell me you didn't just shoot him." I would have been like, " Oh my god, you shot him!! Call an ambulance!" "Don't die, I'm here, stay with me!" I would have been holding him, putting pressure on the wounding, doing CPR. She was more worried about filming than about him dying right there. I would have wanted to hold my husband in my arms as he took his last breaths, not been more worried about filming. She had to stay calm and respectful to stay alive, my ass. They weren't going to shoot her for tending to her husband/boyfriend. AND, if black people are so worried about their encounters with police officers, why not start filming from the minute they were pulled over??? She didn't start filming until AFTER he was shot and we only hear HER side of the story. According to her, He was only complying with what they asked and getting his license, registration, and license to carry and they shot him. NOT!! The officer said he told him to get his hands up and he continued to reach behind him. Why TELL them you have a gun and a license FIRST?? That just puts them on edge. Why not get out your license, reg. and CWC all together? In his state, he had no duty to inform until/unless asked. There is A LOT more to this story. It is not EXACTLY as this woman states. The people, black, white, or whoever, who have been shot by police officers, have not been doing what they are told to do and then all of a sudden been shot. They are resisting, running, grabbing for something, not complying with commands, etc. And they were breaking the law before it even got to that point to begin with.

If black people are so concerned with black lives, why do black lives only matter when a white person is taking that life? Where are the protesters when black people are killing each other? Is it ok then? Do those black lives not matter? And if you want to compare it to breast and lung cancer, they don't say, well your lung cancer matters more because you were exposed to asbestos from working hard all your life, but YOU, on the other hand, deserved it because you smoked all your life, so we aren't treating you. ALL lung cancer matters. ALL lives matter. Sorry. If it is police corruption and trigger happy officers that's the problem, Dylan Noble deserves as much protest as Philando Castile. Where is Beyonce???

While the Dallas Police officers' shooter was black, I don't believe he was related to the BLM protesters. However, the protesters have protested with violence, rioting, looting, arson, and destruction. How is the destruction of YOUR OWN cities proving your point?

jongeh
07-19-2016, 11:26 AM
To those who use the completely misinterpreted data on crime in the usa to back the BLM political movement, you can make the exact same argument but using pitbulls, or rottweilers (assuming they are put down afterwards) instead of African-American criminals.

Report: U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities January 2006 to December 2008

A 2009 report issued by DogsBite.org shows that 19 dog breeds contributed to 88 deaths in the 3-year period of 2006 to 2008. Pit bulls accounted for 59% followed by rottweilers with 14%.

Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period.
The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).

Now go and look up the total proportion of pitbulls and rotties there are compared to the total population of all breeds of dogs. They probably make up say 1%.

The funny thing, it isn't the dogs themselves but the owners, the way they have been brought up. Same with blacks committing crime. They are brought up almost being told it is ok to be in gangs, act like thugs and eventually commit crimes.

I am in no way, shape or form comparing African-Americans to dogs. I am simply using this example as dogs so to speak commit crimes also and suffer death as a result.

Guy
07-19-2016, 06:45 PM
To those who use the completely misinterpreted data on crime in the usa to back the BLM political movement, you can make the exact same argument but using pitbulls, or rottweilers (assuming they are put down afterwards) instead of African-American criminals.

Report: U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities January 2006 to December 2008

A 2009 report issued by DogsBite.org shows that 19 dog breeds contributed to 88 deaths in the 3-year period of 2006 to 2008. Pit bulls accounted for 59% followed by rottweilers with 14%.

Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period.
The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).

Now go and look up the total proportion of pitbulls and rotties there are compared to the total population of all breeds of dogs. They probably make up say 1%.

The funny thing, it isn't the dogs themselves but the owners, the way they have been brought up. Same with blacks committing crime. They are brought up almost being told it is ok to be in gangs, act like thugs and eventually commit crimes.

I am in no way, shape or form comparing African-Americans to dogs. I am simply using this example as dogs so to speak commit crimes also and suffer death as a result.

lmfaooo disclaimer or not, can't believe you compared black people to dogs

NotADoctor
07-19-2016, 06:48 PM

^
#10char

jongeh
07-20-2016, 05:48 AM

Do you understand the argument? And I wasn't comparing black people to dogs; I was comparing the interpretation of the data! You can make your own example about sharks if you like. The point I am trying to stress is the way the data is being interpreted by the BLM protesters.

To anyone that was offended, it was not meant that way. Sometimes you need to put a point across in a weir way for people to read and understand it.

Mophead
07-21-2016, 12:21 AM
Do you understand the argument? And I wasn't comparing black people to dogs; I was comparing the interpretation of the data! You can make your own example about sharks if you like. The point I am trying to stress is the way the data is being interpreted by the BLM protesters.

To anyone that was offended, it was not meant that way. Sometimes you need to put a point across in a weir way for people to read and understand it.

I for one, couldn't understand the point you were trying to get across at all.
Comparing dogs that have killed to black people who are getting killed/killing is just nonsensical. lol

jongeh
07-21-2016, 05:00 AM
I for one, couldn't understand the point you were trying to get across at all.
Comparing dogs that have killed to black people who are getting killed/killing is just nonsensical. lol

Some people just don't get it, that is chill.

Sci_Girl
07-21-2016, 06:46 AM
I get the misinterpreted data part of what you said, many subjects are misinterpreted or use flat out skewed data, but it was a very poor choice of subject matter. I do not agree that the particular subject should have been used to get the point across. Try not to use examples that could hold the potential to offend others. In this case at least stick to human examples rather than animal vs human.

Mindfang
07-21-2016, 08:18 AM
Some people just don't get it, that is chill.

its not that people "just dont get it bruh!!!" its that you compared black people to dogs completely nonsensically? like what the hell was that post even meant to get across? what else were we meant to take from a post comparing black people to dogs

Kite
07-21-2016, 08:47 AM
so dumb lol

Guy
07-21-2016, 08:53 AM
its not that people "just dont get it bruh!!!" its that you compared black people to dogs completely nonsensically? like what the hell was that post even meant to get across? what else were we meant to take from a post comparing black people to dogs

lol maybe he's trying to say that black people -- like pitbulls and rottweilers apparently -- are inherently bad and prone to violence, so it's understandable for a police officer to "overreact" and shoot em down cuz they were probably a criminal anyway :apthy:

jongeh
07-21-2016, 11:38 AM

As I said, some people don't get it. If you want to get technical, dogs represent the whole of the population of the USA regardless of ethnicity/race etc. Rottweilers could be white convicts an pit bulls African American convicts.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

lol maybe he's trying to say that black people -- like pitbulls and rottweilers apparently -- are inherently bad and prone to violence, so it's understandable for a police officer to "overreact" and shoot em down cuz they were probably a criminal anyway :apthy:

Nah, that isn't what I am saying but I admire the fact that you actually took the time to sit there and think about it. It is predominantly about the ratios of African Americans to the crime the commit. They represent a small proportion of the population however make up the majority of crime statistic.

Anyways, to those that misinterpreted it, my better judgement tells me to apologise. I don't people thinking I have come to this forum to offend others.