PDA

View Full Version : Should i get into Powerlifting, Bodybuilding or just staying toned?

04-04-2016, 09:01 PM
Your average powerlifter:

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Your average bodybuilder:

And then you have me:

So, i'm 18 currently and about 190 pounds, which according to the doctor is considered obese. I want to tone up, but i want to be buff sort of too. Powerlifters are picture one, aka lift a big weight for one time. Bodybuilders are #2, become big. Then me, toned on picture #3. I don't think i can ever look like picture number one, but anything is possible. If i do, i want to end up doing a competition for powerlifting. Or should i just try doing me, staying toned but not ridiculous big?

j03
04-04-2016, 09:22 PM
Do what you want. Live your life, not other peoples.

Sci_Girl
04-04-2016, 09:29 PM
Make sure you are healthy about it. You are only 18 so you are still growing. You can tear muscles a d tendons so badly that it will continue to hurt you later in life. If you do choose to be a gym buff then talk with a personal trainer to get how to actually use equip mentioned and proper routines. The last thing you should do is read blogs or youtube videos and believe you can just become a picture mimic by going very hard in a very short amount of time. Whatever you choose, take your time and become educated about it so you do not hurt yourself. It does happen.

Cybun
04-04-2016, 09:36 PM
Whatever you're comfortable with. You know your body and your limits better than us, but be sure to always stay safe and don't push yourself too much in the beginning, you can easily get hurt.
Your diet also plays a big part in it, and first you need to build some muscles! Second you exercise responsibly! Third I don't know, but look for someone who does! :D

Ghosts
04-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Unless you're planning on competing, I'd just workout to stay in shape and not worry about putting on tons and of muscle.

Also kinda off topic, but every time I see pictures of eally strong people I can't not notice how it looks like there's an average guy popping out of a big guy near their neck.

04-04-2016, 10:11 PM
True, i want to compete. I really just need someone on my side to help out. My body has taken a variety of struggles, i just need some help and motivation to fully transition into what to do.

Cub
04-12-2016, 09:08 PM
5252 thats my two sense on it, idk i might've just blabbed.

powerlifting is a sport.. so like you compete and improve yourself to lift as much weight as possible, with a focus on three main lifts. Typically they tend to have more of a bulked frame then bodybuilders/weightlifters becasue that is there main focus.. to lift heavy as fuck. So if you like to compete with yourself and focus on improving yourself with a sport mindset that I would go for powerlfiting. The goal is more towards becoming powerful rather then the aesthetics. Muscle-wise the density of your muscle will increase (more strength) however it might not increase the size of your muscles as fast as something like bodybuilding.

Bodybuilding is focused on lighter weights and higher reps, with more isolated body exercises. So where powerlifting is primarily compound movements, bodybuilding does like very isolated movements to help grow that particular muscle. Both powerlifting and bodybuilding (wayy less in powerlfiitng) requires you to have complete control of your diet to make sure youre getting enough macro nutrients, this can be challenging though. Although this is a sport, it is very based on aesthetic and improving yourself for aesthetic. So this one will increase the size of your muscles, but you wont have as much efficient muscle mass as you would in powerlifting.

Personally I do powerlifting and I love it. You could always do a mixture of both, I mean a lot of people focus on the three main lifts and then do body building to enhance their aesthetic.

Weightlifting is also something to think about, I find it amazing but i am trash at it. It builds muscle quite quickly though.

teddy
04-12-2016, 10:39 PM
that power lifter looks legit freaky imo

i imagine that's how guys look at insanely skinny girls - girls think it looks good but most guys don't really prefer it

04-13-2016, 10:59 AM
Thank you all for your opinions =]

I really like powerlifting, and since i'm done with football i don't have any other opportunity to step on a big stage like that until i get married.
I don't want to look like a powerlifter, and i don't think my body can look like that. My top three lifts really aren't to shabby for an asian kid, and eighteen years old. BP: 245lb/ DL: 370b / SQ: 350b nearly being at the 1000 lb club ;)

i just wanted to see peoples preference

Cub
04-13-2016, 05:02 PM
haha not all powerlifters look like that so i wouldnt worry. I know a lot of "skinny" dudes who powerlift and looks jacked af :)

My stats are 135b/255s/340d so ur doing better than meeee, and tbh thats a dope starting point especially at your age.

mietzefratze
04-15-2016, 12:16 PM
first picture: a monster :O ugly
2nd pic: a bit too much muscles
3rd one: better then the other ones but you have to feel good with your body :D