PDA

View Full Version : Learning a new language?

Ashleys165
02-27-2012, 09:54 PM
I want to learn a new coding language... I'm just not sure which one.... would you mind giving suggestions? And not something too hard. But I will start learning after I am done with my current projects. I was thinking java... but I want to know what you guys and gals think!

yamakracker
02-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Java is very useful as well as C++ xD

bamag
02-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Java and C++ are similar in some aspects but Java is a bit easier so you might want to learn that first.
Thing is, I haven't seen many Neopets programs written in Java (there are a few but not a lot).

Tom
02-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Python is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, and very efficient.

Ryan~
02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
I want to learn a new coding language... I'm just not sure which one.... would you mind giving suggestions? And not something too hard. But I will start learning after I am done with my current projects. I was thinking java... but I want to know what you guys and gals think!

Do Java. It's easy and fun :P

Miguel
02-28-2012, 01:42 AM
Java and C++ are similar in some aspects but Java is a bit easier so you might want to learn that first.
Thing is, I haven't seen many Neopets programs written in Java (there are a few but not a lot).

I think C++ is easier, but that's probably because I learned it first :P

As Tom said Python is also easy, C++ I like as well, but a lot of others also use Java, so there's really no problem with getting help, just your decision! :)

bamag
02-28-2012, 01:48 AM
Well, the main difference I see between C++ and Java is the issue of memory management. Java does it for you while in C++ you got to do it yourself :p

Miguel
02-28-2012, 11:44 PM
What I don't like is that EVERYTHING is objects! That can get confusing for someone just starting programming or someone without any OO background

Jehuty
02-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Well, the main difference I see between C++ and Java is the issue of memory management. Java does it for you while in C++ you got to do it yourself :p

Bear in mind that isn't always an advantage.

C++ gives you the greatest control over what you can do, but having said that, it also has the steepest learning curve IMO considering the sheer size of the language.

A lot of the modern high-level languages would be good if you want to pick things up quickly without truly understanding what's going on and just want some quick results (e.g Python).

Ultimately it depends what you want out of the language.