PDA

View Full Version : [GUIDE] The infamous cover letter

looklook123123
02-02-2016, 08:30 PM
Back again with another professional development guide! First off, I will not be going through the format of the cover letter in its entirety as you can just google that. It doesn't change. I want to give you my approach to the cover letter. I think my ideas are strong, as the same professional who helps with our resumes guided us along for a cover letter. Personally, I feel I never write the right thing in my cover letters, though I have confidence in the fundamentals behind it which I'm providing! Without further ado, here we go!

What is the cover letter? This is sort of like writing out your resume while not actually referencing anything in your resume at all in that you are talking yourself up. It should emphasize YOU. It is an alternative way for the employer to get to learn who you are, what you want, and why you are worth it.
I usually keep it to 2 full paragraphs and make a third �paragraph� which closes it out stating that I look forward to the employer reading my resume next and contacting me about the position. Below I will outline how my own personal cover letters look. It is a bit different than what you look up when you google templates.
I am putting this in a spoiler so only members can read it!

Dear (EMPLOYER),
My name is XX XXXXX and I am applying for XX position. From here list what you currently do (whether it�s going to school part time, or what you currently do for work or both). From here, let them know something about you that will captivate them. This is usually a trait that you possess that you can explain further in your cover letter. This trait may change depending on the position you are applying for. As an example, applying for a sales associate position, you may say that you great relation skills while in applying for a bookkeeping position you may say you have great attention to detail, or if you�re applying to be a schoolteacher, state that you have drive in watching people succeed. From here, connect the trait to the job you are applying for.

What are you currently doing? If finishing school, state you are working towards your bachelors in XXX. If working, state that. If you�re doing both, say you are working at X place as well as working on your bachelors/masters/doctorate etc degree. From here, explain what you are doing currently to ready yourself for the position you are applying for, whether it�s something big or small. Let them know you are preparing for hire; this shows that you are serious in your job search. Next up, spend a few sentences describing how you fit that trait from paragraph 1. Give a brief scenario about you performing in that skill and tie in any other positives within reason to this assessment (PM me for help with this). After giving the example, reassure the reader why this is important, and what that trait alone can bring to the table. Make sure it�s something different than the concentration in your resume.

Start off the final �paragraph� thanking the reader for taking the time to read everything. Reinforce the end of the previous paragraph, which should be about reassuring your original trait (kind of like a 5 paragraph essay; start with an idea, support it in the body, and conclude with it). Finish off by stating you look forward to hearing a response and setting up a time to discuss the position further. Be confident. You�ve got this. Don�t forget this last bit. Show that you want it.

KEY POINTS:
Do not rewrite your resume
Be honest and make sure you can back up the special trait
Be bold and confident
Be concise so that the reader understands everything you�re saying in a page or less.
Be yourself! This is the first impression
Be free of grammar/spelling errors unless you want your resume/cover letter thrown away!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE AND AS ALWAYS POST OR PM ME QUESTIONS.

Sone
02-02-2016, 08:51 PM
marking this for myself.
I'm at that terrifying part of life where I need to do cover letters left and right, bUT NO ONE'S TAUGHT US HOW? thank you, high school/college.

Muchas gracias~

Sci_Girl
02-02-2016, 09:15 PM
Cover letters suck! Lol. Thanks for the general outline of yours.

I have read so many varieties for cover letters it is hard to figure out what an employer will actually be interested in. I have seen employers ask for people to focus one single example at their most recent job, I have seen employers ask that cover letters focus on school background/academics, I have seen requests for cover letters to be about relevant volunteering. Then there have been outlines saying to be broad and write out how your recent/current job applies to as many qualifications that the applying your applying for has. It's just difficult :S

Maison
02-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Dayuuuuuuuuuuuummm! I couldn't even rep your last guide now this!! I will rep when I have the chance!!! GOOD GUIDE!!

Water
02-02-2016, 09:27 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to looklook123123 again.

RIP

j03
02-02-2016, 10:04 PM
Great outline but I would definitely change up the wording as employers might be smart enough to google search general phrases from your cover letter and boom, you are screwed. :(

If this is a custom one you made then it should be okay since you put it in a spoiler. :P

looklook123123
02-02-2016, 10:04 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to looklook123123 again.

RIP

:'( well whenever you can do so again feel free if you still think it's helpful!

I understand cover letters are very subjective so if anything at least think of this as a new, alternative approach at it.
Infamous Joe im on mobile and dont know how to multiquote or edit with another quote. lf anything, the very beginning sentence is generic but for the most part this was original :) there's only so many ways you can say the same general stuff haha

fairydust201
02-02-2016, 11:33 PM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

looklook123123
02-03-2016, 07:49 PM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Appreciated. If you still find it helpful later on when you can rep me, I won't discourage it :P All up to you.

I just hope that between this and the resume guide, it helps set people on the right foot and helps them in their application process!

Mama Bear
02-03-2016, 08:09 PM
Another solid guide, looklook123123. Sincerity is key, and I definitely agree with Joe about eschewing the cliches that are so easy to paste. Really articulating what about that job/career makes you passionate is paramount; if you're struggling with this part, then it's probably a good sign that you're heading into the wrong line of work for you. I remember having an interview for a hardware store check-out job, being asked why I was passionate about hardware. I wasn't. It was a job to pay the bills during uni. Sometimes, you just need to be honest about that, especially if it is clearly intended to be a temporary stepping stone.

looklook123123
02-03-2016, 08:17 PM
Another solid guide, looklook123123. Sincerity is key, and I definitely agree with Joe about eschewing the cliches that are so easy to paste. Really articulating what about that job/career makes you passionate is paramount; if you're struggling with this part, then it's probably a good sign that you're heading into the wrong line of work for you. I remember having an interview for a hardware store check-out job, being asked why I was passionate about hardware. I wasn't. It was a job to pay the bills during uni. Sometimes, you just need to be honest about that, especially if it is clearly intended to be a temporary stepping stone.

Right. If I wanted to copy/paste I would just give everyone the URL and say have at it!
Definitely true though. If you can't back it up it's a good way to assure it shouldn't be your long-term goal for a line of work. Also important to have the answer to a question like that before you go into an interview because you'll likely be asked that question in some form.

Cath
02-03-2016, 08:21 PM
Good job on this looklook123123 ! I'm very glad you decided to make Real Life Situations Guides! This is being really helpful, thank you man!

looklook123123
02-03-2016, 08:24 PM
Good job on this looklook123123 ! I'm very glad you decided to make Real Life Situations Guides! This is being really helpful, thank you man!

Of course. I'll keep on making them since I am getting positive feedback from everyone so far :) I am glad people are taking them for what they're worth!

looklook123123
06-09-2016, 08:07 AM
up and up for awareness

looklook123123
05-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Bumping for awareness since people are graduating and need jobs!

looklook123123
10-15-2017, 03:17 PM
Long time, no bump