PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit ridiculous?

I_royalty_I
01-27-2016, 11:51 AM
Students nation-wide to attend four-day, university funded white privilege bash

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

How is something like this helping anything at all? I must be missing the point.

Mindfang
01-27-2016, 12:44 PM
i think this is great!!!!! i didnt have any idea this went on!!!!! did you not read the article? its an optional event to learn about the injustices of the world and a safe space for oppressed groups to vent and get their points across to people willing to help change the world using their privilege!!! id be so on board if i had the money.

main issue:

[The misspelling of “woman” are intentional; a way to excise “man” from the word — ed.]

although im glad theyre exploring intersectional oppression, i can see their use of the word 'womyn' and their stressing on the lack of 'man' involved/welcomed to be good ammo for TERFs and general transmisogynists. hopefully they have that under control, but the wording here makes it sound like an unsafe space for trans women who are already excluded from a lot of feminism-based social justice movements-- white feminist ones at that.

i dunno, i think yall gotta get the fucking stick out your asses about social justice. this hurts no one. its a positive space trying to help the world be a better place. i like the idea.

Sci_Girl
01-27-2016, 01:11 PM
It's not. It will just turn into another other-gender (to encompass whatever orientation they chose) megaphone wielding screaming match. That of course discredits the whole situation.

I_royalty_I
01-27-2016, 01:14 PM
I wish I could find the other article I read about this a few weeks back. Some of the comments were about as racist and ignorant as can be. It was ridiculous. I read this article and they sort of changed their tune a little bit to make it seem a little more harmless.
I guess Im just not a fan of social justice warriors.

Mindfang
01-27-2016, 01:47 PM
now when u say racist... wat kinda racist u talkin about

I_royalty_I
01-27-2016, 01:58 PM
now when u say racist... wat kinda racist u talkin about

Is there a form of racism that is acceptable?

Mindfang
01-27-2016, 02:04 PM
Is there a form of racism that is acceptable?

well. no. thats obviously not what i meant.
im just treading carefully because ive been down this path here before and i aint looking to properly argue online_ tonite.

i ask because when most ppl say "racist" they mean "calling a white person cracker and kinda hurting their feelings" or something dumbass like that.
i wanted to know if u mean that or if it was white ppl dropping the n bomb and reinforcing the violence towards people of colour at the hands of white ppl such as we.

and if its the former then im fuckin outta this thread cos nobody listens to my ass when i tell em why that aint racism cos ppl would rather wallow in White Guilt and Victim Complexes than actually listen and learn.

Sci_Girl
01-27-2016, 02:12 PM
Racism in the senose that one acts hateful, discriminatory, or prejudice towards another due to the belief that their own race is superior. Very broad definition encompassing anyone who basically believes their "kind" are better than another. It is unacceptable in any form against anyone. Period.

I_royalty_I
01-27-2016, 02:30 PM
well. no. thats obviously not what i meant.
im just treading carefully because ive been down this path here before and i aint looking to properly argue online_ tonite.

i ask because when most ppl say "racist" they mean "calling a white person cracker and kinda hurting their feelings" or something dumbass like that.
i wanted to know if u mean that or if it was white ppl dropping the n bomb and reinforcing the violence towards people of colour at the hands of white ppl such as we.

and if its the former then im fuckin outta this thread cos nobody listens to my ass when i tell em why that aint racism cos ppl would rather wallow in White Guilt and Victim Complexes than actually listen and learn.

There were comments from the "diversity board" at some school talking about how a conference like this is neccessary so they can put white people in their place, knock them down a peg, etc etc. I essentially see it as a conference to get together and be racist towards white people just because you can. Some of the videos and such from these conferences is crazy

How is making racially spurred comments not racism? Making comments such as the ones you mentioned towards any other race would be considered racism I'm sure. Yeah?

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

This guy has an interesting viewpoint that I hadn't thought of before.

Cybun
01-27-2016, 02:32 PM
They approach the subject very aggressively, they're not trying to simply raise awareness to a possible "privilege" one race has over the other, they're trying to bash white people because they're allowed to. It's racist, racism is bad.
You know what else is racist? Quotas, affirmative action. This is screaming "blacks are inferior, they need such a handicap~" :grumpy:

Umbreon
01-27-2016, 02:45 PM
Why can't they just have a rally to bring up the issues instead of bashing other issues?
This is just a very negative way to approach the situation.
Doing something to raise awareness of someone's struggles, be it race or sex struggles, instead of bashing someone else's racial or sexual privileges, would be more positive?

It's all pointless, though. There's generations in the world that have things ingrained in their head about race, about sex/gender, about everything, and it's probably not going to change.

We just have to wait for those generations to grow old and die and hope that they haven't poisoned too much of their offspring. :$

I_royalty_I
01-27-2016, 02:51 PM
Why can't they just have a rally to bring up the issues instead of bashing other issues?

That is something I could get behind and support! The way they are going about it is just ridiculous. Fighting racism with racism won't get anybody anywhere. It only makes them look extremely ignorant and uneducated imo.

We just have to wait for those generations to grow old and die and hope that they haven't poisoned too much of their offspring. :$

One of the main issues with that is that many of the people involved in these sorts of things are from our generation. From my experiences, many have never actually been out into the real world, they only know what they read on social media and things like that.. which is unfortunate. D:

Mindfang
01-27-2016, 02:51 PM
just because a black man has been manipulated into the belief that white supremacy is dead does not mean it is dead.

the other video you linked is... a clickbait title based on the words of some white cis man trying to pull a strawman argument out of his ass. i wont defend her answer, but hes just looking to be a victim. but her answer to his questions is... good. aside from her comment about rape (imo)

singling out white people from spaces where people of colour go to vent and feel safe due to the racism white privilege represents DOES NOT equal racism. it equals a safe space. everyone needs a safe space. i need a safe space as a trans person to get away from the horseshit cis people throw at me on a daily basis. singling out white people does NOT have the same level of violence as singling out black people. remember in the 50s? segregation? that was singling out black people based on the fact they were black. if the violence towards black people in the 50s has happened to white people instead, THEN maybe blacks could be racist towards whites, but right now, you cannot say racism towards whites exists.

you can be discriminatory towards white people, such as avoiding being friends with them, but you cannot be racist towards them, because "racism" is based upon systematic oppression and the active violence towards people of colour.
white people are not killed solely for being white. white people are not denied jobs solely for being white. white people are not denied housing solely for being white. people with brown skin are. constantly.

you can be hateful, but not racist towards white people. discriminatory, maybe, but "racism" is NOT the word youre looking for, and using some weird video of some guy filming incognito because he feels weird not having the whole world suck his useless cis white boy cock for being a cis white boy shouldnt give you an idea that disliking white people is racist.

just because your feelings are hurt because the black kids at school dont like your nerdy white ass doesnt mean theyre racist, it means theyre avoiding the racism that you, whether you mean to or not, carry with you wherever you go as a white person.

reverse racism doesnt exist and creating a safe space for yourself as an oppressed minority is not racist, or cisphobic, or heterophobic, or any of this fake bullshit.

reverse oppression is fucking fake.

I_royalty_I
01-27-2016, 02:53 PM
Peridot Can you make an argument without putting down people who don't agree with you? It's difficult to have a conversation or any sort of discussion when you call people you don't like pieces of shit all the time.

Umbreon
01-27-2016, 02:57 PM
Being a person that lives near Atlanta - white people do actually get killed just for being white, which in and of itself is racist.

White people have never been oppressed in any way (that I'm aware of), but technically racism is still a thing, definitely not as spread-out as racism for other races. It's very minute, but it's still there, and to deny that it is impossible to be racist against white people solely, but is possible to be racist towards EVERY OTHER RACE, is slightly ignorant.

Racism exists in every manner and can happen to any and every race. Some are way more major than others, but still.

Sci_Girl
01-27-2016, 02:58 PM
This is just a very negative way to approach the situation.
Doing something to raise awareness of someone's struggles, be it race or sex struggles, instead of bashing someone else's racial or sexual privileges, would be more positive?

It's all pointless, though. There's generations in the world that have things ingrained in their head about race, about sex/gender, about everything, and it's probably not going to change.

I have wondered that too. But I will not ask for my concern of being punched in the mouth for asking something so rational.

I would have accepted a pamphlet of information while I was in University and going to my next class. Nothing wrong with politely saying "hey if you have some time please take a look if you would not mind"...sure! great! no problem I have time to kill in some lectures! but no...instead I was harassed for saying no thank you after they grabbed my arm to stop me to talk. Be polite, be courteous, be mindful that you are getting into peoples faces but you wish to only do so for a brief moment...be nice...and the messages will be much more heard.

I_royalty_I
01-27-2016, 03:04 PM
white people are not killed solely for being white. white people are not denied jobs solely for being white. white people are not denied housing solely for being white. people with brown skin are. constantly.

That's a lie. There are quotas that companies/governments have to fill. I have a friend who was applying for a government position (a promotion position), they scored the highest possible score you could on the qualifying test and they were denied the position because they needed somebody of a different race to fill the position because quotas. Housing has to do with your credit score. You pay your bills, you have good credit, you are approved for loans or housing because they know you will pay it back. That's not a race thing.

singling out white people from spaces where people of colour go to vent and feel safe due to the racism white privilege represents DOES NOT equal racism. it equals a safe space. everyone needs a safe space. i need a safe space as a trans person to get away from the horseshit cis people throw at me on a daily basis. singling out white people does NOT have the same level of violence as singling out black people. remember in the 50s? segregation? that was singling out black people based on the fact they were black. if the violence towards black people in the 50s has happened to white people instead, THEN maybe blacks could be racist towards whites, but right now, you cannot say racism towards whites exists.

So say there was a conference where only white people were allowed to go to discuss people of other races.... you bet your ass it would be blasted all over the media. There would be protests and all sorts of negativity directed at it. You can have a "safe space" without putting down and bashing other people. If you can't do that then you're not making a "safe space", youre making a space to vent and put down others for your own benefit.

you can be hateful, but not racist towards white people. discriminatory, maybe, but "racism" is NOT the word youre looking for, and using some weird video of some guy filming incognito because he feels weird not having the whole world suck his useless cis white boy cock for being a cis white boy shouldnt give you an idea that disliking white people is racist.

What do you think being racist it? Do you think being racist is being loving and understanding? No. It's about being hateful. I feel like you may be the one mixing up racism and discrimination in this case, but that's neither her nor there.

Seems we have gone off on a little tangent there. My opinion is still the same though, this "white privilege" conference is nothing but trouble.

Sci_Girl
01-27-2016, 03:08 PM
just because a black man has been manipulated into the belief that white supremacy is dead does not mean it is dead.

the other video you linked is... a clickbait title based on the words of some white cis man trying to pull a strawman argument out of his ass. i wont defend her answer, but hes just looking to be a victim. but her answer to his questions is... good. aside from her comment about rape (imo)

you can be discriminatory towards white people, such as avoiding being friends with them, but you cannot be racist towards them, because "racism" is based upon systematic oppression and the active violence towards people of colour.

just because your feelings are hurt because the black kids at school dont like your nerdy white ass doesnt mean theyre racist, it means theyre avoiding the racism that you, whether you mean to or not, carry with you wherever you go as a white person.

reverse racism doesnt exist and creating a safe space for yourself as an oppressed minority is not racist, or cisphobic, or heterophobic, or any of this fake bullshit.

reverse oppression is fucking fake.

One cannot pick and choose what is racism or not just because they want it to fit their own agenda. Racism definition is broad and encompassing. Those in the Southern and part of Eastern US are pretty up in arms about certain "white folk", they are being killed for being white simply because they think they are out to get others.

...Aren't you white?

Seems we have gone off on a little tangent there. My opinion is still the same though, this "white privilege" conference is nothing but trouble.

It is. And why are credits given? Go to class and earn them like everyone else. And why is the school paying for people to go? A flyer saying "hey this is the event and where it is" on the bulletin board as a heads up is great but no way should the school be fitting the bill for this optional seminar. Other student's tuition end up paying for this rally.

Cybun
01-27-2016, 03:17 PM
Peridot sorry, but that's some Tumblr bullshit right there. Do you live in a first world country?
Of course there isn't something called "reverse oppression", no race is better than the other, isn't that what these people are trying to say? Or are they trying to put white people down? Because that surely seems like it.
You don't need safe spaces, you're living in the REAL WORLD, the world is raw and you need to get out of your bubble if you want something, nothing is given out for free and shouldn't, you need to walk with the right people and avoid those who don't like you, or are you made of glass? I don't care if you're trans, straight, black, white, etc, you're human above everything else, and you're just like us, if you want to be better than those you hate then go work your ass off.
Also, safe spaces are segregation, you can't complain about how black people were segregated when you want exactly this, that's not how it works.

Mindfang
01-27-2016, 03:17 PM
Peridot Can you make an argument without putting down people who don't agree with you? It's difficult to have a conversation or any sort of discussion when you call people you don't like pieces of shit all the time.

>____> sorry if that seems like what im doing? thats not my intent or anything. i guess im just #heated because.
every time i try to bring up a personal experience of "oppression doesnt work both ways", speaking as an oppressed person, i get bombarded with people trying to "prove me wrong", as if my experiences as an oppressed minority dont matter because hey, the people oppressing me have it bad too!!!! sometimes!!!!

so. i had a juice box and i looked at a leaf outside. sorry for getting heated. maybe youll understand my predicament, maybe not. but what im trying to say is, this event isnt bad. maybe it LOOKS bad if you havent been in a place where youve experienced systematic oppression, but on the whole, its not bad. its a safe space.

just because oppressive groups get hurt sometimes by minority dislike of them, or in one-off cases, doesnt mean that the minority is wrong for disliking them or blowing the abuse they face out of proportion. everyone needs a safe space. this is a safe space. maybe some people get a bit... questionable during this event, but on the whole it isnt harmful because all it is is an educative event where minorities can go to vent frustrations caused by their lack of privilege, and privileged people can go to learn of the issues they inadvertently cause with their own privilege.

i doubt youre actively racist, you just seem uninformed, and youre right i probably shouldnt berate or look down on people who are uninformed because i was once too. ill accept that much and try to work on that part of my abrasive personality lmfoa. but you have to accept that you, as a white person, have so much more... pleasurable an existence compared to how you would if you were black. i promise you that much. not even black! maybe even trans, or a woman. the fact is, you, as a white person, are pretty high up on the pecking order, and that causes a lot of frustration in people low on the pecking order.

you MAY not understand their frustration, you might find it a bit abrasive and uncomfortable, some of the things people say might hurt your feelings, but think of it as getting frustrated with anyone else. race, religion, all that out the window: when youre frustrated with something, you tend to react negatively. it tires you out AND as a result you get angry. idk, say your tv doesnt work, so you call it a little bitch. its not the tvs fault, the tv is not personally attacking you by not working, but youre pissed off and its the one thing you KNOW is causing a problem with you right now.

SO. thats what its like?

i dont fuckin hate cis people. like, some are cool. but their existence in most aspects makes my existence 100x harder, i know they, personally, dont intend to make it harder, but still ill find myself getting pissed off. and ill need to run off to my Trans Clique and vent my frustrations of general cis existence (excistence HAHA) to them, and theyll understand, because they also experience the same indirect-but-still-kinda-direct frustration towards cis privilege.

is this making sense

I_royalty_I
01-27-2016, 03:28 PM
It is. And why are credits given? Go to class and earn them like everyone else. And why is the school paying for people to go? A flyer saying "hey this is the event and where it is" on the bulletin board as a heads up is great but no way should the school be fitting the bill for this optional seminar. Other student's tuition end up paying for this rally.

That's one of the issues I had with it as well. The original article I read mentioned that they were asking a community college who was doing something similar whether or not professors could force their students to go to the event and they had not received a response back. I don't understand how credit can be given for something like this. If they want to go to it, it should be for themselves. What kind of degree would require credit such as the ones that would be given by this conference? I work hard af for every credit I get and students going to a conference like this on the schools (read 'my', the taxpayers) dime is not okay with me.

Sci_Girl
01-27-2016, 03:34 PM
The degrees the vast majority of University students hold little interest in or regard. Art, Drama, Music, Women's studies, Gender studies, Literature, Sociology...etc..

Cybun
01-27-2016, 03:36 PM
The degrees the vast majority of University students hold little interest in or regard. Art, Drama, Music, Women's studies, Gender studies, Literature, Sociology...etc..

Are these for real? I thought it was a joke. D:

Sci_Girl
01-27-2016, 03:40 PM
Not joking. Look into your State or Provinces Universities, I doubt they will be at the smaller colleges or community college. But they sure do exist, deep in the caverns of the Arts.

hissi
01-27-2016, 03:40 PM
nothing about this seems hateful to me, it looks like a (voluntary!) series of workshops for people who are interested in learning more about social issues/inequality and what they can do to combat these things from what i can tell. i guess the credit thing is just to give people more of an incentive to attend, i doubt they're getting too much of it since it's only a 2-4 day event.

also agreed w/Peridot about the womyn thing....at first i thought it said wombyn and i was like AAAAHHHHHHHH

edit: one other thing i wanted to add was that credits for attending an event at colleges aren't uncommon; at my college you can get 1/4 credit just from going to certain speaker events and writing a paper on it (which i'm prob gonna do since i'm a half credit behind where i want to be rn).

Mindfang
01-27-2016, 03:52 PM
Sci_Girl im white yeah. christ actually, ill do you one better, im white and british with european parents. im white bread with a side of milk and crackers.

Cybun mm... safe spaces arent a tumblr invention.
because of my abuse due to being a trans person caused by people in The Real World, ive become severely agoraphobic. ive started going out more again sure (voluntarily too!), but just having a thick skin does not prevent you from not getting a job, or getting killed, or anything of that ilk, just because youre not cis and white. my "bubble" is clear enough for me to see that. like, listen, if i didnt have my "bubble" id have killed myself a long time ago. thats bleak and tmi, but there you go. its only by having my "bubble" and "safe spaces" that ive been able to pull through a lot of bullshit. thats even me WITH thick skin. and yeah i do have thick skin which is PROBABLY hard to believe based on my entire... everything, but just having thick skin does not protect you from The Systematic Oppression. im talking getting jobs and violence towards you in the street and seeing yourself on television getting made fun of for things you cant help. i can have as thick a skin as i want, but in the end, im gonna need a safe space because the world fucking hates my trans mentally ill ass and makes sure to let me know it does every single day. like, i appreciate your viewpoint uh to an extent, but just "toughening up" doesnt work in most cases, because without a network of people in a Safe Space, id end up killing myself due to the exhaustion and frustration of living. and thats the case with almost everyone who needs a safe space.
what do you think places like alcoholics anonymous is btw? if not a safe space i mean.

snazzy i read the word wombyn and had a brain haemorrhage god damn i forgot about that term

Mama Bear
01-27-2016, 04:40 PM
Peridot, I can understand that your experiences have led you to become quite passionate, defensive and angry about certain topics. I do not take that away from you. However, my opposition is to the way to speak about others in such harsh language. It seems incredibly hypocritical. I know that sometimes we vent at things, like your tv example, but when you take your frustration out on all white men, or all cis people, or whatever, it comes across as really selfish. That's it's ok for you to spout abuse about groups, because of your experiences and situation. I'm not someone easily offended, but when I read some of the shit you spewed, it made me angry because you're the first one to jump down anyone's throat for any perceived intolerance, yet convey so much of it in what you say yourself. This isn't the first time, either. I'm not wanting to pick a fight, I just urge you to reflect on whether it is equality you're seeking, safe spaces for everyone, whatever. Or whether it is to feel better by hating on the groups represented by the majority. Majority shouldn't automatically be a bad thing. It's about how people and groups act; if I were to judge the trans-community by the way you act and speak, it would be an incredibly negative impression due to your own prejudices and hate speech. Fortunately, I don't. I judge people as individuals. Maybe you should try doing the same, before you post about useless white cis boy cocks again.

Cybun
01-27-2016, 06:01 PM
Peridot The world doesn't hate you, at least I know I don't. It's just that those with negative thoughts are louder, it's normal.
I was referring to racial segregation when I meant safe spaces, to me that's bullshit because if that's the case then in my country we would need a white safe space because they're a minority here, yet get nothing for free while being screwed over by the government just as much. You see, third world countries like to mimic (blindly) what countries like the USA do, while completely forgetting that their reality is completely different, so you get a country where everything is upside down and it sucks. My birth certificate says I'm "brown", though my skin is white and I'm of indigenous descent (considered a separate "color"), so I just don't fit anywhere because one cancels the other. LOL
Right, but you need to know that the world isn't going to shield you from mean people, they'll always be there no matter what and unfortunately you need to know how to deal with them, and not just run away, what I'm saying is that you need to be strong for yourself and for those who relate with you and just don't give a damn to what they say. If they don't want to be your friend because you're trans, screw them, they may be losing an awesome friendship, if they don't want to hire you there's someone who will, and don't forget that the world is quickly changing, the older generation will eventually cease to exist and the new one that is more tolerant will take over, but it's wrong to just force the <insert word> acceptance agenda on them because this will create a natural rejection by that thing, let them live and learn.
And what I meant was racial segregation/safe space, that's bunny poop. Maybe if you've gone through a lot you need your space where you can recover, there are groups for women who got abused by their husbands, for kids that came from a violent household, but it shouldn't be a place where you can hide from the world forever, it's only temporary.
The AA thing is exactly that, they talk about their experiences and though I don't know much about it, they at least recognize that what they're doing is not good for themselves and that they're sick (or something?), I think it's wrong to compare your definition of safe spaces to that because as far as I know you're neither sick or wrong, just outside the fence, which by no means is wrong. Fishes raised in a tank are different than those raised in the wild, be it in taste or behavior, even if they look exactly the same, but neither is worse than the other, if that makes sense.

I_royalty_I
01-27-2016, 10:04 PM
Here another issue that really pisses me off:

i havent heard anybody ever make these kinds of comments about Cam Newton. The dudes a beast, that's all there is too it. The panthers have been killing it and somebody in the press wants to spin it and make it about race. Good lord. It's football, whoever is writing stories like this needs to gtfo and go do something else.

Sci_Girl
01-27-2016, 10:28 PM
Here another issue that really pisses me off:

i havent heard anybody ever make these kinds of comments about Cam Newton. The dudes a beast, that's all there is too it. The panthers have been killing it and somebody in the press wants to spin it and make it about race. Good lord. It's football, whoever is writing stories like this needs to gtfo and go do something else.

Writing controversial topics like that brings in readers. The more shocking the more readers, the more page visits the more money. It is all about money.

I_royalty_I
01-27-2016, 10:30 PM
Writing controversial topics like that brings in readers. The more shocking the more readers, the more page visits the more money. It is all about money.

I know I know, i just wish they would write a story worth reading instead of making things up. Jerks.

Sci_Girl
01-27-2016, 10:33 PM
I hate sports writers or even sports interviewers. They have the worst most pathetic questions and always seem to be looking for a different answer than the one they get. Then they go and sensationalized it in their reports. I follow NHL and it gets frustrating sometimes.

cinnamon
01-27-2016, 11:40 PM
I just want to say that any half-wit with the right funding and a little support can hold a conference. I work for a university and there's all sorts of "consortiums" and "conferences" that staff members and faculty dream up and hold and they often only pull in 100 or so attendees and are run at the core by 1-2 people. I wouldn't give this conference too much credit. It's been going on since 1999 according to the website. 15 years in and they don't have much growth to show for it. I mean, Hell, I initially thought the news article you linked to might have been a satire site because the logo on the guy's shirt is a complete piece of shit.

Many of the conferences I see run pertain to niche academic interests that most people don't really care about and are often a way for people to get super fucking nerdy about their incredibly specific topic of study to create awareness or provide a learning opportunity. In most cases I find that these, while enjoyable for those who do share those highly niche interests, they don't often succeed in creating awareness and are often preaching to the choir.

It does look like this conference has been positively received by attendees in the past, but I think the main issue I have with this as someone with a marketing background is the decision to call it a White Privilege conference. It bothers me when extreme social justice warriors expect everyone to be so PC when they turn around and title a conference something like that. It's going to alienate a lot of the people their message most needs to reach from the get-go. I'm not a fan of such incendiary approaches to getting the attention of those whose perspective you want to change. Privilege is not just race, it's education, wealth, locale, access to technology. Making the conference all about white privilege is so one dimensional; it completely overlooks the intersectionality of the issues our society faces.