PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Laptops / 2-on1 Laptops - best bang for the buck?

coldsicle
12-28-2015, 09:19 PM
Been thinking of getting a surface pro or surface book, but my wallet is none too keen on the idea. The pen capabilities are supposed to be good for the level of graphic work that I do but surely there are alternatives? The ipad pro didn't appeal to me last time I looked at it, but I wouldn't be opposed to looking again. I've heard good things about other 2in1/hybrid laptops but it's been a pain trying to see how well their screens would work for art.

Kiowatitan
01-01-2016, 01:55 PM
If you are going with a hybrid laptop for graphic design work, the Surface Pro is probably the best way to go.
That said, there are certainly alternatives.

My currently-preferred hybrid laptop is the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro.
It has a sturdy, yet modern, design, a decent keyboard, and has very high specifications given its price albeit not exactly cheap.

For other graphic design work, you could alternatively go with a connected tablet made by Wacom, for instance, in order to gain greater specificity in design work.
(Although I cannot say as to whether or not you already own such a device.)

Furthermore, I have not yet tried the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil and therefore cannot provide an affirmative answer either way.
I will mention, however, that I have tried two styluses for the iPad and iPad mini: Wacom's Bamboo Fineline 2 and FiftyThree's Pencil.

I was disappointed with the connectivity of the Fineline 2 and the design of the Pencil by FiftyThree.

I have not used styluses nor tablets for much graphic design work myself, however, and would therefore still urge you to seek additional advice.

coldsicle
01-02-2016, 06:47 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply! I'll have to look into the yoga more and do some comparisons. I do have a cintiq connected to my desktop. The main goal is to have more flexibility for where I'm working, especially since my office can get a bit loud and distracting sometimes. I will continue my search for more art inclined reviews :)

Thanks again for your time!