PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety

Luck
02-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Anyone else suffer from Anxiety or Panic Disorder? I've had it for atleast a year now. Thought I got rid of it for a while, but recently it picked back up.

Kristin
02-25-2012, 12:28 AM
I don't, but my sister does. She was just diagnosed last month. She sees a therapist now and takes meds I think.

Scarecrow
02-25-2012, 12:51 AM
I've ADD, and I know what is anxiety :/

Chelle
02-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Yup! I have general anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, and agoraphobia. I've been getting it mostly under control but it's definitely a struggle, and the littlest things will set me off sometimes (for example, I'm applying for a pet I really want right now on Neo and my anxiety is THROUGHTHEROOF about it). I have full-blown panic attacks on average once every week or two.

I'm on a benzodiazepine for it, but benzos are kinda messy to deal with (side effects include increased risk of suicides, ridiculous memory abilities, and awful withdrawal symptoms if you need to discontinue the medication for any reason).

victoriamle
02-25-2012, 12:59 AM
Nope, but it runs in the family :/
I'm only 16 so who knows what can happen

Luck
02-25-2012, 01:27 AM
Im afraid to take meds for it because it was mix in meds that cause my first serious panic attack that sent me to the er. I know it's a little irrational but it's just how I am.

Chelle
02-25-2012, 01:31 AM
It's not irrational (okay maybe it is) but I totally get it. The whole reason I became agoraphobic is because I fainted once outdoors and was so embarrassed I locked myself in my apartment for 3 months (literally...).

Have you seen a psychiatrist about it? There's such a plethora of new meds out there that maybe you and a psych can work together to figure out something your comfortable taking. Hell, even take a multivitamin and tell yourself it'll help with your anxiety - you might notice a difference. That sounds stupid, but the mind is a powerful thing.

Luck
02-25-2012, 01:44 AM
I've been through counseling once, and it somewhat help, only reason I stopped was because of my insurance. I plan on trying to get back into it soon

Chelle
02-25-2012, 01:45 AM
I recommend getting back into that ASAP. Do you know what your triggers are?

Luck
02-25-2012, 01:46 AM
no clue whatsoever, never been able to pinpoint anything

Chelle
02-25-2012, 02:03 AM
Have you looked into CBT or tried any mindfulness training? It might try to help you pinpoint some triggers or at least lessen the anxiety. A larger component of CBT for anxiety is exposure therapy though, so you you'd need to figure out some triggers first, or purposely find situations that make you anxious (going to the mall on a Friday evening, driving in traffic, etc.)

---------- Post added at 02:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

From the always-reliable (*snort*) Wikipedia: "CBT has been shown to be effective in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder, and possibly more effective than pharmacological treatments in the long term."

So it might be something to look into :)

Luck
02-25-2012, 02:03 AM
well I know that riding in the car triggers it, but thats not the only thing.

Chelle
02-25-2012, 02:05 AM
Even knowing ONE thing that causes you anxiety is enough to help, though! I'd look into some CBT in your area as well as mindfulness training, it's a great alternative to medicine - you might never need anxiolytics to help at all.

Luck
02-25-2012, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the advice, I need all the help I can get, it seems like no one else in my life understands what Im going through, even when they try they cant

Chelle
02-25-2012, 02:10 AM
Well I completely understand. I've been where you are and am still struggling with my own issues. but it does get better I promise. You just have to want to help yourself and be open to different types of help. It might help you in the long run that you're averse to medications as 99% of the time people need more than just a pill - they need the therapy as well.

If you ever want to talk I'm always here to listen :)

Luck
02-25-2012, 02:11 AM

Crayon
02-25-2012, 04:02 AM
yes. i have generalized social anxiety, and it gets so bad that i can't leave my house/pick up the phone/ go on fb/ etc

i've had this for as long as i can remember
its just gotten worse over the years

Slasher
02-25-2012, 10:01 AM
I don't know if I'm suffering from anxiety, but I'm very stressed because of all my exams and works at school. I have so much to do. Like a week before each exam I wake up at every hours in panic because I'm sure I haven't studyed enough.

Khelddar
02-25-2012, 10:36 AM
I think everyone suffers from anxiety, unfortunately a few people suffer worse than everyone else.

Hope it gets better judd :)

Emiley
02-25-2012, 11:48 AM
I suffer from Anxiety, especially when i'm in public, gosh I hate it.

J_L_K_64
02-25-2012, 02:19 PM
alls i gotta say is this, chelle got some rep from me, for all her help on this thread

Chelle
02-25-2012, 02:56 PM
alls i gotta say is this, chelle got some rep from me, for all her help on this thread

*hugs* Thanks darling. Again I'm here to talk if you (or anyone!) needs it :)

J_L_K_64
02-25-2012, 03:00 PM
*hugs* Thanks darling. Again I'm here to talk if you (or anyone!) needs it :)

yeah i am here to chat as well, i am really good at helping people with RL, and dealing with whatever, i do it all the time anyways, so i might as well do it for you guys, lol, y'all could think of me as a jr therapist if ya wanted, lol

Kiminess
02-26-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm pretty sure I have social anxiety, though I've never been officially diagnosed. I have a very hard time in social situations. I "shut down", as friends have called it, and worry about what people will think of me, or saying anything stupid. I have panic attacks sometimes, where I can't breathe and want to cry. My boyfriend has been helping me work on it, and now I have a small circle of his friends that I'm fine being around. Apparently I have nothing to worry about, as everyone loves me? I still can't help panicing, though. I was bullied in middle school, causing me to seclude myself to my room and homeschooling for years. I'm surprisingly fine online, it's only real life personal situations that bother me.