PDA

View Full Version : Gun Control in the United States.

Misha
12-17-2015, 10:07 AM
What's your stance? Given that our country has had the right to bear arms since the introduction of the Constitution (with obvious exceptions at that time), do you thing firearms should be stripped from the citizens or should more people go out and buy a gun? I'm very opinionated on the matter but I'd like to hear some other points of view before I throw mine out there.

VitaminX
12-17-2015, 10:22 AM
OP starts, always, k :(

Ok, I'm not American, but I think it's too late atm.

There's too many guns on the market, and even if they would change the law right now, the black market will still be flooded with them.
Personally I don't agree with the everybody should be able to have a gun to protect themselves, cause I think most people are just not capable enough to own one.
That's my biggest reason to be ''against'' it. People can be quite unpredictable.

Naked Gamer
12-17-2015, 10:25 AM
I'm aussie and see how many gun massacres we have have? rest my case really on that note.

Pusheen
12-17-2015, 10:32 AM
I'm not American, but I'm curious to see you guys opinions.

Here in Chile is not easy to get guns, and the goberment is against having our population armed. They are making campaigns of "Give your weapon" where people can give their fire arms anonymously to the police and more than 5.800 guns have been received this year.

I stand on the opinion that having an easy access to weapons brings more bad things that good ones.

Sci_Girl
12-17-2015, 11:11 AM
Being Canadian I am a friendly folk, I see no need to have guns available to everyone and anyone. That said even if the Government decided it was time to "take them all" it would be a foolish endeavor. The illegal guns will always be around, crime will always happen, and paranoid back-wood thinkers will still think the Government is coming after them with a vengeance so they will literally hide them in the ground or foolishly shoot someone to prove a point that they will not be taken.

I also hold the belief that if you feel the need to carry a gun while buying bananas at the local grocery store you have much bigger issues to deal with.

I_royalty_I
12-17-2015, 11:43 AM
I see no point in taking the guns and making it illegal/impossible for people to get them. At that point you're only harming the normal people who want to get them. If a criminal wants to get a gun, they will probably find a way to get that gun.

If you were a criminal, where would you prefer to target? A state where gun control laws are insanely strict and you know nobody will have a gun to counter your gun? Or, would you target somewhere that the gun control laws are loose and you have a good chance of coming across somebody who has a gun to defend themselves against you? I think that choice is pretty obvious.

Gun control laws are a bullshit controversy drummed up by our incompetent government. They give guns to the cartels, as well as plenty of violent groups elsewhere in the world and then they try to tell us that US citizens shluldnt get guns. Okay.

Where I live, they made it illegal to buy an AR. Before they did that, I bought a lower, which is the part they will be regulating, so that I could build my own AR when I have the cash. Planning on getting a pistol at some point, head to the range every so often. Never hurts to be prepared.

"To conquer a nation, you must first disarm its citizens" Obama is taking a page right out of Hitlers playbook.

I think that about sums up my views, on a few issues.

Lyric
12-17-2015, 11:58 AM
Having a gun is like having a child or an animal; only those intelligent enough or capable enough, able to provide a safe environment for the gun or have knowledge on using the gun should be allowed to have one.

^^ This is my compromise because let's face it, America will never abolish the 2nd Amendment. They will try, they will fail, they will try to change it, they will fail. Some people think they have to have a gun, some believe it's their 'right' to own a gun and all of these idiots think they know how to use a gun. It's simple right? Point and shoot. No, don't do that.

I absolutely DO NOT agree with just anyone having a gun. You want to be able to defend yourself? Take a self-defense class. Yeah, I understand about the 'bringing a knife to a gun fight' thing and that cannot be helped, doesn't mean you need to go out and buy a gun to defend yourself or your family.

Go and take the steps to gain knowledge on the gun, go through the hours/days long classes for your CCL and most importantly; NEVER put your finger on the trigger unless you are prepared to shoot and face the consequences.

I own guns, I have my CCL, I have knowledge on how to properly use and secure my weapons but guess what? If I was asked to turn them in to better the future of the world I would without hesitation. PEOPLE kill people, a gun is just a tool we use to do it. People will keeping killing others with or without guns.

It's my opinion and it will not change, please respect that and don't argue with me on my opinion. Politely say you disagree and move on. I want to hear your opinions and I will respectfully acknowledge them, I will not argue with you. <3

I_royalty_I
12-17-2015, 12:16 PM
I agree with you Ann, the proper training, know how and most importantly a background check of some sort for any firearm purchase should be a standard. You shouldn't be able to just go out and buy a gun any day of the week and get it the same day. That's just far too easy and leaves it open to all sorts of crazies to just run out and pick up a dangerous weapon like it's a grocery item. I've been around guns my whole life through a bunch of different places. I know the proper way to handle it, clean it, store it, etc. Going to be taking CCL classes before I get my handgun as well. Lots of people don't bother with all that stuff though, that's where the issues come into play.

Sci_Girl
12-17-2015, 12:43 PM
If you were a criminal, where would you prefer to target? A state where gun control laws are insanely strict and you know nobody will have a gun to counter your gun? Or, would you target somewhere that the gun control laws are loose and you have a good chance of coming across somebody who has a gun to defend themselves against you? I think that choice is pretty obvious.

I see that point of view. I also see the one of the person without a gun. Does that person feel safe to go about their day? Can I go to work without a gun in hand? Can I go buy groceries without the concern of someone opening fire? Can I sit in my backyard around the fire at night without concern of a bad guy? Can I play in the park with the kids? If someone can go about their day without concern, like the vast majority of populations, why is there a need to be carrying a gun?

I think there are plenty of people who have concern over their daily lives, maybe they live or work in a shady neighborhood type deal, I can certainly see that. But for the majority of the population? I think too many people with guns fall into that jumpy, scared, worried, concerned, paranoid mentality where everything they do needs to relate to "the bad guy is coming" lifestyle. Putting a gun into those jumpy hands? I for one would not want to be the bystander around that when bullets start flying because someone overreacts to a situation.

Then there is the case of crime is always going to happen. It absolutely will. Here in Canada we have strict gun laws and gun crime still happens. However, the vast majority of the time gun crime is related to crime itself. The bad guys, the gangs, the wanna-be gangstas who have the guns are partaking in illegal activities themselves leading them to shoot eachother. Here the amount of people being shot from home random home invasions like the US is so concerned about? Minimal if that. I do not recall a recent story where a random home invasion lead to death from a gun. I am sure I could do some deep digging to find something related to that though. A lot of people use guns to kill family or friends though. That will also always happen everywhere.

Misha
12-17-2015, 01:00 PM
At this point and time in America, no, I don't feel safe walking around without my gun. I believe that it is my right to defend myself in a life or death situation and it is better to have and not need than to need and not have. I took gun safety training when I was 15 years old and was taught trigger discipline and muzzle control. This goes for non-lethal firearms as well. I also don't believe everyone and anyone should be allowed a gun, there should be those safety classes and I wouldn't mind seeing a psych eval thrown in there as well.

But I do believe that those states with stricter gun laws have more gun related crimes because obviously the citizens are denied that right. Look at Chicago, one of the highest gun related crime cities in the country, has horribly strict gun laws.

I also don't feel the need for any citizen to own a fully automatic weapon. That being said, banning semi-automatic "assault rifles" is bullshit. I have a semi-auto SKS and I'll be damned if I have that dinosaur taken from me because it's"too dangerous for a citizen".

Making stricter laws prevents law abiding citizens from defense in the face of a criminal. Period.

Aura
12-17-2015, 01:16 PM
I don't think Americans should've had the right to have guns in the first place. I also find it sad that after all these mass shootings, especially those at schools like Sandy Hook, Americans still think that their guns are more important than human lives. Easy access to guns equals more crimes being committed. At this point in time, it would be very hard to get rid of guns, but I think there should be much stricter regulations in order to get them. I hear about so many mass shootings in America it doesn't even surprise me anymore. :(

Coming from your Canadian neighbour, so sorry if this sounds ignorant.

Misha
12-17-2015, 01:23 PM
I don't think Americans should've had the right to have guns in the first place. I also find it sad that after all these mass shootings, especially those at schools like Sandy Hook, Americans still think that their guns are more important than human lives. Easy access to guns equals more crimes being committed. At this point in time, it would be very hard to get rid of guns, but I think there should be much stricter regulations in order to get them. I hear about so many mass shootings in America it doesn't even surprise me anymore. :(

Coming from your Canadian neighbour.

Unfortunately with most of the mass shootings, they aren't people who legally obtained a gun. And I think another problem with why these shootings are happening so often is the media glorifying them by making the shooter infamous. That's what most of these people want; to be remembered for something. There's nothing truly easy about the access we have to guns in America unless you look at the illegal side. I could probably go to Minneapolis right now and buy an illegal handgun for a couple hundred bucks. But, to legally obtain a handgun, you must be 21 years old and obtain a permit to purchase (which requires the permission of your county sheriff saying you are capable of owning a firearm), and you have to go through a federal background check.

I don't think anyone is thinking that their guns are more important than lives, other than the ignorant and racist ones who think everyone out of their bloodline is a terrorist.

But I do somewhat agree with our right to own guns from the beginning. Although, that was only truly put in as a right in order to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government (oh the irony).

Aura
12-17-2015, 01:28 PM
Unfortunately with most of the mass shootings, they aren't people who legally obtained a gun. And I think another problem with why these shootings are happening so often is the media glorifying them by making the shooter infamous. That's what most of these people want; to be remembered for something. There's nothing truly easy about the access we have to guns in America unless you look at the illegal side. I could probably go to Minneapolis right now and buy an illegal handgun for a couple hundred bucks. But, to legally obtain a handgun, you must be 21 years old and obtain a permit to purchase (which requires the permission of your county sheriff saying you are capable of owning a firearm", and you have to go through a federal background check.

I don't think anyone is thinking that their guns are more important than lives, other than the ignorant and racist ones who think everyone out of their bloodline is a terrorist.
The media definitely plays a huge role in making the shooters superstars; Many shooters are inspired by famous killers, such as the Columbine shooters. But I also think, with the amount of shootings that are happening, there is definitely something that needs to be changed within the gun laws.

cookiemunster
12-17-2015, 02:14 PM
I have very strong opinions on guns/gun control that are not likely to change. :P However, I respect that we all have different opinions.

If you don't want to read this entire post: I am for guns. I am against taking them away.

I believe there would be a lot less gun massacres in the U.S. if more people chose to carry a gun on them at most/all times. (Please note that throughout this post when I say this I mean legally carry with a concealed weapons permit/concealed carry license/ ect. by a properly trained/educated/mentally stable responsible legal adult.) Personally I don't think it's about being paranoid. It's about being prepared. I keep life jackets and a flare gun in my boat not because I'm paranoid of a crash, but because I want to be prepared if one ever happens. You never know what is going to happen at any given time. I would rather prepare for the worst and hope for the best. If I'm at a shopping mall and some insane person starts shooting up the place I'm not just going to go run and hide as innocent people get murdered around me. No, I'm going to take my gun off my hip and take that person out before they can hurt/kill anyone else.

A few years ago I had several family members gunned down and murdered by a drunk man with a stolen/illegally obtained gun. Later someone had the nerve to imply that I should be for gun control since they were killed with a gun. Absolutely not! Sometimes I lay awake at night and wonder how it could have been so different if at least one person at that place had had a gun on them. The man unloaded an entire clip into them combined. He had the gun against another one of my family member's head as he repeated pulled the trigger even though the clip was empty. I just know that there could have been enough time for someone to save at least one of them by pulling out their gun and taking the gunman out. If I was there I know in my heart that I could have put two in his chest before he moved to the second person. This story is still pretty painful, but I think it's important to share. The man who killed them did not legally own the gun. Taking legal guns away from lawful civilians does nothing but leave those people defenseless. Criminals are not going to turn in their guns. If a person wants a gun they are going to find a way to get one legal or not. It's the same for drugs. Drugs are illegal and yet they are everywhere.

If asked to turn in my guns I would refuse so long as the Second Amendment is intact in the United States Constitution. I have a legal right to protect myself given to me by this amendment. Until this is changed my guns will stay with me.

Also, different guns serve different purposes. I have several guns that I use for different reasons. I have a pistol for personal protection. I have a shotgun for home defense. I have a rifle for hunting. I have an assault riffle for marksmanship. Protection does not always necessarily mean protection from a person or group of people. I mainly use my guns for protection against dangerous wild animals. I live in a pretty rural area that is filled with potentially dangerous animals including aggressive wild boar, coyotes, venomous snakes, alligators, feral dogs, and the occasional rabid possum/raccoon. I like to have a gun on me at all times when I'm outside because these animals are everywhere and you can't always get away from them. If there's a venomous snake living under my children's playground I would rather grab a pistol than a knife. lol Now obviously I don't just go out looking for snakes to kill, but I can't leave a cottonmouth or a rattle snake alone so it can live under my children's playground. Animal control is busy around here and they don't usually come out to help just for snakes. Sometimes even just a warning shot or two is enough to deter a dangerous animal away from you and your family. There is no self defense course that is going to help you when you're fishing (for example) and an alligator or a snake lunges out of the water and starts chasing you. In those cases you would need a gun especially if you're with someone who can't run away quickly.

Additionally, I do agree that there should be more training given when you purchase a gun. What good is having a gun if you can't properly hit a target? Everyone should be taught how to properly handle a gun. Never pull out a gun unless you plan to shoot. Never shoot a gun unless you plan to kill. Never pull out a gun if your life is not in danger, always use it as a last resort. Never shoot to injure, always shoot to kill. (This one goes with always use a gun as a last resort and is more for using a gun against dangerous animals/hunting.)

One more little story blurb and then I'll stop. :P Last year my grandfather was shopping. He went out to his truck, unlocked it with his clicker, got in the driver seat and closed his door. As soon as he closed his door a criminal got into the passenger seat, pulled out a knife and demanded his wallet. My grandfather quickly pulled his pistol out, pointed it at him and said "I don't think you want to do that." The criminal didn't say a word as he quickly got out of my grandfather's truck and ran away. My grandfather felt his life was in danger, he pulled a gun with the intent to shoot, but when he saw the situation had changed as the criminal tried to get away and his life was no longer in danger, he put the gun away.

Guns are not the problem. People are the problem. A person who wants to kill or commit crime will do so with ANY tool at their disposal.

That was a bit longer than I was hoping for. lol Anyways, I'll end this with a quote by Lyric because I think you worded this very well!

"It's my opinion and it will not change, please respect that and don't argue with me on my opinion. Politely say you disagree and move on. I want to hear your opinions and I will respectfully acknowledge them, I will not argue with you. <3 "

edit: Oh damn sorry I wrote a novel! lol

Sci_Girl
12-17-2015, 02:48 PM
Personally I don't think it's about being paranoid. It's about being prepared. I keep life jackets and a flare gun in my boat not because I'm paranoid of a crash, but because I want to be prepared if one ever happens. You never know what is going to happen at any given time. I would rather prepare for the worst and hope for the best. If I'm at a shopping mall and some insane person starts shooting up the place I'm not just going to go run and hide as innocent people get murdered around me. No, I'm going to take my gun off my hip and take that person out before they can hurt/kill anyone else.

Not focused on you in particular but the general thought you state which has been heard before. That choice of action is greatly misunderstood by people with a gun. If one is at the mall and shots are heard the natural reaction to such a severe situation is panic and fear. It is to duck and take cover. It is a mass hysteria type situition. However superman syndrome comes into play. The Patriot that says "I would never be scared I am trained with my gun I will save the day by putting a bullet in that persons head!!!!". Sorry but a shooting at a mall for example is not like shooting a target at the range or shooting popcans from fence posts at Grandad's farm. No. In that range the target is not moving sporadically, the target is in a location with no distractions, that target does not have the potential to fire at you, and while shooting that target the shooter is calm cool and collected. It takes intense training to not be stressed out in a stressful situation like a public shooting. If there is an off duty police officer with a gun then things would be greatly benefited. But average Joe who learned to use a gun at range targets on weekends? They may be great at shooting that target but a real life situation of mass stress is grossly underestimated. Panic in those not trained to deal with it can lead to misjudgments and error.

cookiemunster
12-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Not focused on you in particular but the general thought you state which has been heard before. That choice of action is greatly misunderstood by people with a gun. If one is at the mall and shots are heard the natural reaction to such a severe situation is panic and fear. It is to duck and take cover. It is a mass hysteria type situition. However superman syndrome comes into play. The Patriot that says "I would never be scared I am trained with my gun I will save the day by putting a bullet in that persons head!!!!". Sorry but a shooting at a mall for example is not like shooting a target at the range or shooting popcans from fence posts at Grandad's farm. No. In that range the target is not moving sporadically, the target is in a location with no distractions, that target does not have the potential to fire at you, and while shooting that target the shooter is calm cool and collected. It takes intense training to not be stressed out in a stressful situation like a public shooting. If there is an off duty police officer with a gun then things would be greatly benefited. But average Joe who learned to use a gun at range targets on weekends? They may be great at shooting that target but a real life situation of mass stress is grossly underestimated. Panic in those not trained to deal with it can lead to misjudgments and error.

I can see your point and I respectfully agree to disagree. :)

I can't speak for everyone, but the range I use does have moving targets. lol Anyways, I can see what you mean about a person not being useful in that situation because they only shoot fixed targets at a range. However there are many forms of marksmanship and I believe any experienced hunter of game that is known to be sporadic and dangerous would be useful in that situation.
I also agree that a person's first reaction is fear and to take shelter. Concern of self preservation is inherently a part of human nature as with all other living creatures. If I was in your mall shooting situation I would of course take cover. Once I'm safely concealed though I would not just sit there and do nothing. If I'm hiding beside a vending machine and I peak around the corner and see the gunman walking in any other direction than mine, I would pull my gun out and put two bullets in their chest.(always aim for the chest) The gunman would not be running faster than a deer and I would imagine they would be moving as sporadically as a wild boar trying to gore you or something of that nature. (Especially if they're holding as assault riffle with two hands, they wouldn't be able to get around as easily, making them an easier target.)

"Panic in those not trained to deal with it can lead to misjudgments and error."

In a situation where someone is firing a semi/automatic weapon into a crowded place, I fail to see how misjudgements and error by someone trying to stop the situation even begin to compare to the mass casualties and damage caused by the gunman. For me this is not a good enough reason to sit there and do nothing.

If you're in a mall with your family and you come back from the bathroom to see two of them dead and bloody on the ground and the person has a gun pointed at another one of your family members, I would hope that most people would at least try to stop the gunman before he continued murdering your family, even if they have to do it after they've ducked behind something for protection. :(

But like I said, agree to disagree. I just wanted to make some points clear and respond since you quoted my post. :P

Mindfang
12-17-2015, 04:08 PM
my country has never really had guns available legally as far as i know. you cant even have pepper spray here without getting arrested for having a weapon on you. the only time weve ever really had guns near where i live currently was during the commonwealth games. all the coppers had assault rifles out the ass during those few weeks, it was fucked up to even see them then. some people might have felt safer knowing they were there, but i just felt more paranoid around police.

nothing good has come out of owning a gun that you couldnt also do with basic self defence. probably.

i find it uncomfortable that americans can stare at the news where hundreds of people die from gun ownership in their country and still threaten violence if those guns are taken from them, but not bat an eye at the people that lost their lives to the guns theyre so weirdly serious about.

like... i dunno. its just fucked up that its even an issue that needs to be addressed. just fukin ban em and make self defence classes mandatory in schools so people dont fuckin need to shoot anybody to tell them not to fuck with them lol.

same as it me tho, im just an ignorant scot, i dont know the deeper roots about it and have a really simplified outsider understanding of how fuckin unnecessary The Right To Bear Arms bullshit is in the first place.

Aska
12-17-2015, 05:03 PM
It would do more harm than good to ban guns, nor do I believe in banning them. I can get a grenade launcher on the street if I really wanted one and those are so illegal.

I do agree with stricter laws in regards to them but I don't know how to going about them. People want more intensive background checks and cry out invasion of privacy at the same time. A lot of guns were legally obtained, which to me is the scariest part. How do we screen mental health when buying a gun? How do we know the purpose of this person buying the said gun? Part of this is driven by fear and I understand that. I shouldn't have to fear going out of my house and functioning in society.

Misha
12-17-2015, 05:27 PM
I have also had a gun pointed to my head and robbed for my bicycle and a small amount of marijuana when I was 16 years old. Had I been able or allowed to carry a gun at that point, I probably would have used it as I was stabbed in the back 14 times as a result of my actions towards the people robbing me. I may have a bit of a superiority complex when it comes to confrontation and I will never back down. I will defend myself WITHIN REASON. I have been trained in how to properly use a weapon and I very strongly believe it shouldn't even be touched unless I plan to use it. Now, getting stabbed 14 times would warrant a life/death situation in any court of law in the United States, and I would be surely acquitted of any charges had I killed any of them. Thankfully that was not the case. I escaped with my life. And so did they. Recently there was a case in Wisconsin involving a kid I knew personally, his name was Levi, where he took a man's life with a knife in what was considered a self-defense situation although the altercation could have been avoided completely had those two not decided to see whose dick was bigger. Now a family lost a husband and a father. And it's unfortunate. A lot of situations like that can be avoided, but some cant, and if I'm in the same room as an armed gunman and he opens fire at myself or bystanders, I will use my pistol to attempt to lessen the severity of the situation. And I have been shot at before as well so there's no "it isn't the same as a firing range" situation with me. I don't know what can be done but maybe some very serious thinking by pro-gun politicians or NRA members can come up with a viable remedy to gun crime. I just don't see it happening without some sort of uproar.

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

And to add, my father committed suicide with his shotgun. Don't know why that's relevant but it's gun related so there's that.
cookiemunster I couldn't even imagine having to go through that, and I've been to hell and back. I'm sorry for your loss.

Sci_Girl
12-17-2015, 06:32 PM
I don't think guns will ever be completely removed from citizens, the logistics of it is astronomical. One thing though that I would not like is the lack of hunting for game meat. I mean a nice venison loin or elk or moose steak is one of the best meats you can possibly have. I suppose archery could boom in population but for the most part hunters use guns. I want meat!!!

Misha
12-17-2015, 06:34 PM
I don't think guns will ever be completely removed from citizens, the logistics of it is astronomical. One thing though that I would not like is the lack of hunting for game meat. I mean a nice venison loin or elk or moose steak is one of the best meats you can possibly have. I suppose archery could boom in population but for the most part hunters use guns. I want meat!!!

I would fight someone UFC style for a good bag of Venison Jerky lol

Guy
12-18-2015, 05:50 AM
I think that only a few people should have guns (law enforcement/bodyguards/etc) and that it should be tightly enforced, but there are way too many guns in circulation for that to be possible now lol..so I'm conflicted

haiqtpi
12-19-2015, 02:27 AM
I think that only a few people should have guns (law enforcement/bodyguards/etc) and that it should be tightly enforced, but there are way too many guns in circulation for that to be possible now lol..so I'm conflicted

TBH I think that universal suffrage should be taken away - there should be basic logic and intelligence requirements to vote. More and more, I am hearing idiots spewing nonsense about needing guns to protect yourself against terrorism...anyone with a computer can readily access the statistics - firearm violence kills exponentially more Americans every year than terrorism (If you factor out 9/11, this multiplier possibly grows to over 1000 times). Thus, advocates for increasing accessibility and distribution of firearms are suggesting that it is simply better to drastically increase your chance to be killed by your own countryman than a foreigner? I just do not get it -_-. Guns = people dead. Spewing nonsense about the Constitution doesn't make this fact disappear. Documents and ideas can be both outdated or flawed, and acting like neither of these scenarios could possibly apply to the holy Constitution is utterly idiotic (and subsequently a reason why I believe that scientists should govern the world). If you compare violent crimes and deaths resulting across the first world, the USA has a shamefully high rate - which is strongly correlated to the whole "gun problem." Places like UK, Japan, Korea, this type of thing simply does not happen. Americans need to stop with this foolish notion that they are "the best" and "exceptional" and accept the blatantly obvious flaws with their way of life/society. So much potential "greatness" is taken away by the unwillingness of a large subsection of the population to accept such unassailable conclusions as the fact that guns kill people, or that climate change is real -_-. I mean, we have one presidential candidate that suggested that the pyramids were gain silos - clearly HE knows better than the entirety of Egyptology....sigh...(I left out the whole Muslim thing because I feel like I adequately eviscerated that nonsensical point of view).

Misha
12-19-2015, 09:50 AM
TBH I think that universal suffrage should be taken away - there should be basic logic and intelligence requirements to vote. More and more, I am hearing idiots spewing nonsense about needing guns to protect yourself against terrorism...anyone with a computer can readily access the statistics - firearm violence kills exponentially more Americans every year than terrorism (If you factor out 9/11, this multiplier possibly grows to over 1000 times). Thus, advocates for increasing accessibility and distribution of firearms are suggesting that it is simply better to drastically increase your chance to be killed by your own countryman than a foreigner? I just do not get it -_-. Guns = people dead. Spewing nonsense about the Constitution doesn't make this fact disappear. Documents and ideas can be both outdated or flawed, and acting like neither of these scenarios could possibly apply to the holy Constitution is utterly idiotic (and subsequently a reason why I believe that scientists should govern the world). If you compare violent crimes and deaths resulting across the first world, the USA has a shamefully high rate - which is strongly correlated to the whole "gun problem." Places like UK, Japan, Korea, this type of thing simply does not happen. Americans need to stop with this foolish notion that they are "the best" and "exceptional" and accept the blatantly obvious flaws with their way of life/society. So much potential "greatness" is taken away by the unwillingness of a large subsection of the population to accept such unassailable conclusions as the fact that guns kill people, or that climate change is real -_-. I mean, we have one presidential candidate that suggested that the pyramids were gain silos - clearly HE knows better than the entirety of Egyptology....sigh...(I left out the whole Muslim thing because I feel like I adequately eviscerated that nonsensical point of view).

While I agree with the "American way" adhering to our countrymen believing America is the greatest nation and all of that bullshit, I simply cannot agree that "guns kill people". My guns can't just grow feet and go shoot up a school. It's idiots with a hole in their head where their brain should be that use guns for violence.

Roslyn
12-19-2015, 10:24 AM
I've never been opposed to a better system of regulation. To drive a car you take a test. You need a license and registration - I don't see why there shouldn't be something similar for weapons.

As a law-abiding citizen, it is my right to own a weapon. If the government takes this right away completely, it would set a precedent - what other freedoms would I get stripped of, "for my safety?"

That being said, the majority of Americans, myself included, support 100% background checks for weapons. I believe there should be stricter policies for those who sell weapons. But making something completely illegal has never stopped criminals.

Naked Gamer
12-19-2015, 10:47 AM
As a Australian only real reason I can see having guns so freely and easy to get would be good is if America got invaded then the Civilians can fight if they wanted too.

Our laws here are strict but you can still get guns by having a Licence and by upgrading the licence to be able to use different guns legally, Personally think if the states have this then least you know guns are in the right hands.

As mentioned above someone wanting a gun will likely get one unless they get real crazy and creative.

Licensing would be a good step I personally think for America, you can still hunt and all that stuff but just licensed :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Misha
12-19-2015, 11:04 AM
You do need a license in the United States to purchase a handgun whether it be a permit to purchase (as I stated before needs to be given to you via your county sheriff) or a concealed carry permit which requires a class and fees and you can have absolutely no violent charges on your record or any felonies in order to obtain one. The system we have in place now, I feel, is acceptable as far as law abiding citizens being able to purchase a firearm. As far as I know, there are no States that have constitutional carry allowing you to freely conceal a weapon with no training or licensing.

Sci_Girl
12-19-2015, 12:22 PM
You do need a license in the United States to purchase a handgun whether it be a permit to purchase (as I stated before needs to be given to you via your county sheriff) or a concealed carry permit which requires a class and fees and you can have absolutely no violent charges on your record or any felonies in order to obtain one. The system we have in place now, I feel, is acceptable as far as law abiding citizens being able to purchase a firearm. As far as I know, there are no States that have constitutional carry allowing you to freely conceal a weapon with no training or licensing.

You mention handgun. So someone can walk into a gun store or say an outdoors store (here we have a place called Cabelas which sells basically anything outdoor related to camping, fishing or hunting) and purchase a rifle or shotgun for example that same visit?

I have heard random people can go to a gun store and easily buy a weapon as long as they do not have a criminal record. Just show up with no paperwork nd a little later have a weapon in their hands as long as they have the money. I know nothing about gun licences and such so is that a lie I have heard or unfortunately a reality?

Roslyn
12-19-2015, 01:05 PM
Licensing laws depend on the state. For example in Georgia, all you need is a background check.

Naked Gamer
12-19-2015, 01:13 PM
Licensing laws depend on the state. For example in Georgia, all you need is a background check.

Wow O_O so easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Misha
12-19-2015, 01:34 PM
You mention handgun. So someone can walk into a gun store or say an outdoors store (here we have a place called Cabelas which sells basically anything outdoor related to camping, fishing or hunting) and purchase a rifle or shotgun for example that same visit?

I have heard random people can go to a gun store and easily buy a weapon as long as they do not have a criminal record. Just show up with no paperwork nd a little later have a weapon in their hands as long as they have the money. I know nothing about gun licences and such so is that a lie I have heard or unfortunately a reality?

A shotgun or hunting rifle, yes, as long as you are of age and pass the federal background check (usually takes about 3 days to process). Which isn't a very good system if you ask me, although you do need a license for specific semi-auto rifles I believe.

Sick
12-23-2015, 07:19 AM
it's not necessary to own a gun. citizens of the United States should not have a right to bear arms.
how many more deaths is it going to take before gun control occurs?
why do you need to own a gun? self defence? I don't think so.
here in Australia we don't possess that right, and as a result we have no massacres or tragic gun related events, the United States has them far too often.
if you lived like us you'd see it too, you're all just so used to a way of life you don't need.
guns kill people
that's all they do
defence and protection should come from police officers and other law enforcement agencies

Misha
12-23-2015, 08:02 AM
it's not necessary to own a gun. citizens of the United States should not have a right to bear arms.
how many more deaths is it going to take before gun control occurs?
why do you need to own a gun? self defence? I don't think so.
here in Australia we don't possess that right, and as a result we have no massacres or tragic gun related events, the United States has them far too often.
if you lived like us you'd see it too, you're all just so used to a way of life you don't need.
guns kill people
that's all they do
defence and protection should come from police officers and other law enforcement agencies

With the state that our country is in right now, taking away the citizen's right to own guns would do nothing but create far more deaths due to criminals who obtain them illegally. On top of that, we have a corrupt government consisting of trigger happy police and politicians who are giving guns to terrorist organizations to further their own agenda. America has become a bully to other countries and because of it we have too many enemies. We are headed towards a Civil War as well as World War 3. The United States government needs to be dismantled completely because it is most certainly not a Democracy anymore and Capitalism puts the 1% (the wealthiest people in the country) in control of the rest of us. If I had the ability to do so, I would love to get the hell out of here and never look back. But, I simply dont have that option, so for now I only have my guns to uphold my own safety against criminals AND a tyrannical government. So I actually do need it for protection, sadly.

ALSO OMG I MISS YOU COME HERE MORE OFTEN!

zxzero
12-23-2015, 08:48 AM
I am Canadian, but here is my honest opinion. This relates not only to the gun control but a lot of things that have happened over the past years concerning terrorism. It seems like America goes to help a country, but then citizens lose rights after the fights. This has been happening quite often.

It just seems like Obama is carrying on what Bush was doing. Tariq Ramadan: "As many of you know the images of the campaign are still vivid. Big, large mobilizations in the United States, of young people primarily. Desperate for change. And the slogan of that campaign change we can believe in. Change Change Change. But what has changed and what hasn't changed. There has of course been a change in the presidency, and we can't complain too much about that. There is a new vice-president also in the United States, and we can't complain too much about that. But the Defense Secretary is the same. That's the guy who sits in the pentagon and organizes wars, and the reason he was kept on was to show that there is, there are both elements of discontinuity at the top and very strong elements of continuity. And the reason for that, is that if you wear Caesars clothes, you must behave like Caesar."

I dunno I'm just an outsider looking in.

I don't think the government will be able to bypass the constitution though with that being said.

Misha
12-23-2015, 08:50 AM
I am Canadian, but here is my honest opinion. This relates not only to the gun control but a lot of things that have happened over the past years concerning terrorism. It seems like America goes to help a country, but then citizens lose rights after the fights. This has been happening quite often.

I dunno I'm just an outsider looking in.

I don't think the government will be able to bypass the constitution though with that being said.

That is absolutely what happens. We overthrow their system and become their new dictator. It's bullshit.

Virus
12-23-2015, 09:45 PM
TBH I think that the gun issues got too far, way too fast. It's a little irreversible now, without crazy bastards running around blowing people away because they wanna keep their "rights."

It's just too far gone now to pull them away from folks in my opinion.

Sci_Girl
12-23-2015, 10:38 PM
In the US what do you think the breakdown is of people living in urban areas vs rural?

My guess is those wanting gun rights to carry a weapon around everywhere they go are those from non-urban centers. The farm folk, the backwoods acreage loving folk, and hunting folk come to mind as those who would shoot you if you dare mentioned the prospect of removing firearms from people. However those in urban centers, big metropolis cities, technology laden dwellers are more likely to say no to having weapons at the ready. I can only speak for where I live, Alberta, where the population last I read was an 80/20 split of urban living vs rural. There are some individuals here who would love to have concealed weapons to play superhero at a moments notice. The harsh reality is that urban dwellers have the absolute majority in the matter. Snow balls chance in hell would this Province ever have concealed weapons laws. So I ask about the population split between urban/big city living and rural in the US.

So hypothetically if there was a poll saying we will let the people decide what happens with weapons do you think there would be a majority win in the "no guns" category? That being due to the majority of populations being urban living and therefore more anti gun compared to rural pro gunners? Or is this way off base? Like I said I can only speak based on my experience. I am talking about an average here not pinpointing that say only Dallas, Texas or Los Angeles, California could vote on the matter. Those two would be polar opposites. I am taking abouy the average opinion of all urbanites.

Ph0enix
12-24-2015, 01:45 AM
I think it's silly to be honest. It's literally in the amendment that we have the right to bear arms. Trying to say we can't buy them or own them is literally going against the constitution this country created. I don't know what they think they're going to get done like everyone is just going to go, "well shit it's illegal now better not own a gun!" .. I really don't get what they think this is going to accomplish. The attacks that happened in Paris were in a place where they have very strict gun control. It's not going to stop anyone.

JaimeLannister
12-26-2015, 12:39 PM
I believe in personal gun ownership, even of high capacity weapons (assault rifles are used in like 3% of killings), but there does need to be a LITTLE compromise. I don't even think one mistake (unless it was a murder, rape, basically lifeable offense) should permanently bar someone from owning one. Like say a 19 year old commits a felony, I think after a certain time period of good behavior they should get their right back.

I think domestic abusers (as in the cyclical disease type, not girl who slapped guy once) are the biggest group to keep guns away from. Then I would say white supremecists and hate groups but it would be unconstitutional to do so unless they have previously committed a hate crime.

Also, as much as we talk about the mentally ill they are actually not responsible for tons of gun violence.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

also, the felons that would follow the law not to own guns would be the ones that should be allowed to.

Cybun
12-26-2015, 01:14 PM
Takings guns away will not help with anything, it will only make things worse. Right before I was born the government decided to take our guns away, but instead of decreasing the number of deaths, it just increased, taking guns away from citizens will NOT stop the baddies from owning them. They know you're unarmed and they WILL take advantage of it, soon your government will act just like ours: a good citizen has a gun for self-defense? He needs to be arrested, this is terrible, such a violent person! A bad person uses a gun to rob and murder a family? He's a victim of the society, the family should have built a 50ft titanium wall around their house!
Believe me, this happens, I'm living it right now! When my brother was 1 year old some guy invaded our house and this scared him, he started crying so the guy pointed a gun to his head and told my mom that if she didn't make him stop crying he would SHOOT HIM! He robbed us of everything we had including our car and 34 year old pet parrot, you know what happened to him? Nothing.
This is your future if you let the government take your only defense away. And don't believe them if they say it's only a "temporary" thing, we've been trying to get our right to own a gun back for 10+ years, they won't give it back.

Mama Bear
12-26-2015, 05:35 PM
I think it's silly to be honest. It's literally in the amendment that we have the right to bear arms. Trying to say we can't buy them or own them is literally going against the constitution this country created. I don't know what they think they're going to get done like everyone is just going to go, "well shit it's illegal now better not own a gun!" .. I really don't get what they think this is going to accomplish. The attacks that happened in Paris were in a place where they have very strict gun control. It's not going to stop anyone.

Don't you think that the argument of it being right simply because it's in the constitution is a weak one? I'm not an expert on US constitutional law, but I do know that it's been amended in the past as the needs and beliefs of society have changed. The debate should be more about the necessity of people having this right to have guns, especially in a place that has incredibly well-documented evidence of it's unusually high levels of gun violence. It being constitutional at this point in time is not a good enough reason to keep it. Without the 13th Amendment, slavery would still exist. But hey! It was constitutional, so that's ok, let's leave it be. Slaves for everyone!

Ph0enix
12-26-2015, 09:14 PM
Don't you think that the argument of it being right simply because it's in the constitution is a weak one? I'm not an expert on US constitutional law, but I do know that it's been amended in the past as the needs and beliefs of society have changed. The debate should be more about the necessity of people having this right to have guns, especially in a place that has incredibly well-documented evidence of it's unusually high levels of gun violence. It being constitutional at this point in time is not a good enough reason to keep it. Without the 13th Amendment, slavery would still exist. But hey! It was constitutional, so that's ok, let's leave it be. Slaves for everyone!
Well idk what's up w/ the sarcasm but I think it's a good amendment because everyone needs to protect themselves.. you're right, times DO change and it's more vital than ever because of all the violence in the world to be able to protect yourself! I admit, I have no idea how to make it so guns fall into the right hands.. honestly there will never be a time when guns will not go to the wrong people.. maybe psych evals as well as background checks? The harder to get the better. Tests to make sure you will not do anything wrong.. I don't know. But banning guns altogether will have the opposite effect. I think it's right to own a gun ONLY for protection purposes. I mean really, comparing slavery to the right to own a gun? I'm not even touching that one.

Mama Bear
12-26-2015, 09:58 PM
Well idk what's up w/ the sarcasm but I think it's a good amendment because everyone needs to protect themselves.. you're right, times DO change and it's more vital than ever because of all the violence in the world to be able to protect yourself! I admit, I have no idea how to make it so guns fall into the right hands.. honestly there will never be a time when guns will not go to the wrong people.. maybe psych evals as well as background checks? The harder to get the better. Tests to make sure you will not do anything wrong.. I don't know. But banning guns altogether will have the opposite effect. I think it's right to own a gun ONLY for protection purposes. I mean really, comparing slavery to the right to own a gun? I'm not even touching that one.

I'm comparing the argument that guns should have wide ownership simply because doing otherwise "is literally going against the constitution this country created", which is the same of other issues (like slavery) that were also changed in the constitution. Control is different to banning, and the issue here is control. Saying everyone has the right to bear arms is very broad-reaching; I mean, already there are some limits as to who can get one, since background checks already exist. According to the most basic letter of the law, preventing Mr Shooty, the violent felon, from owning a gun is unconstitutional. But it's done already. So adding additional safety precautions to limit the risks is not so farfetched. Your suggestion of psych evaluations being mandatory is a good one; my response wasn't intended to make light of serious issues, but simply to point out that saying something is good just because it's the current law is a really narrow minded way of looking at the world. That's all.

As for the matter of protecting yourselves, the statistics about being more likely to be harmed by your own gun speak for themselves. I worry about the social fabric of a country where people genuinely feel so scared in their own communities that they feel obliged to have a gun. Like, shit. If I lived somewhere like that, I'd move to somewhere safer. Just seems logical to me. To play the devil's advocate too, what about Mr Shooty the violent felon from earlier? What if he has since become a good person, and wants to protect himself?

Sci_Girl
12-26-2015, 11:39 PM
Americans. Would you feel safe walking around in Canada? Australia? Both of these countries have strict gun laws. If you moved to either location, even just visiting would you feel safe? There are criminals here just like others have been saying, criminal are everywhere. Neither place has citizens living in fear or any concern. But seriously do you consider Canada a safe country even without a gun in every home?

As for the constitution, it needs some further amendments to coincide with today. The past is the past. The constitution was written when slavery was used with intense cheer and muskets were used as the firearm of choice. Times have changed.

Guns should be treated like a drivers licence in the context of you earning it. Driving is a priviledge. You fuck up you have your drivers licence removed. Same idea should be applied for guns. If you qualify you should take a test, register it, and get that privilege removed if you fuck up. A fuck up would be a crime related to it or if you have committed a different non firearm related crime. If you are a criminal, no matter the charge, you get no gun. I really do not give a rats ass if someone is upset that they have say a drug charge then stomp their feet that they cannot own an assault rifle. If you have a rap sheet too goddamn bad, no weapon for you. A weapon should be earned if it is going to be owned, not treated as a toy or a boner inducer when fired. There needs to be extensive laws, rules, and regulations.

workallnight
01-11-2016, 02:37 AM
if firearms are stripped from all citizens then no firearms are needed. there are other ways of self defense other than shooting and possibly killing a human