PDA

View Full Version : Would you donate your organs?

Sci_Girl
12-10-2015, 09:13 PM
Recently there was a conversation while watching TV with my bf, his mom, and his siblings. The topic that came up was organ donation and whether or not we would do it. Without hesitation we all said absolutely whatever is needed except for his mom. His mom said that is not what God wants. When you die you need to be buried and become the earth type deal. Okay I get that and I respect that this is how she grew up. But she seemed almost upset that all her kids and me said without hesitation that a doctor can remove our organs to help others. I do not see the issue. If I die I already do not want to be buried but cremated, another issue she says, so why not give myself to help so many others?

It is a common occurrence. Someone in your family, a close friend, or simply someone you know comes across tough times with their health and they require a transplant. There are more than 100,000 people in thr US right now waiting for a transplant of some sort. Frankly that number is likely on the low side. Many will die waiting. Maybe you even know of someone who has passed while waiting for that new heart or lung. The problem is not enough people are registered, or tell friends/family members they want to be a donor. The loss of someone is too great to also have to be asked if their organs can be removed and given to someone else. However organ donation is a wonderful gift to give. 8 lives can be saved from just whole organ donation. These being the heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, pancreas, and small intestines. Beyond that is tissue donation in which corneas, cardiac valves, veins, skin, bone, and more can all be harvested and give treatment or life to more than 50 people. A loss of one's life does not mean it needs to be left at that. Organ donation truly saves lives.

Now I know some people have hesitations. I mean the doctor will use terms like harvest and remove, cut, and transplant. All less than ideal terms to describe what happens during the process. I get that some people want to be left intact in the ground because their religion guides them to it, even though I believe all religions are okay with organ donation. I get it. I do not understand or agree but I get it. Then there is the hesitation not associated with religion but with the "icky" factor. I get that too. It is gross to think about but when so many lives can be saved I do not think that ick should hold someone back. We do not live forever, we could be killed tomorrow crossing the street. Should that happen would your friends or family know what your wishes were? Nearly anyone can be an organ donor, as long as the tissue or organ is alive it can be assessed for donation.

So the question is posed, would you donate your organs? Why or why not?

Maison
12-10-2015, 09:18 PM
I would definitely without hesitation donate my organs! If we add God to this I personally think God would want you to help save other people! Many people are in need of them and sadly my Aunty passed away waiting on a donor list! So yes! I would donate especially if I won't have a use for them anymore! I am either going to be cremated or turned into a diamond ring :)

Banannie
12-10-2015, 09:21 PM
I'm a registered organ donor. The way I see it is if you're dead, why not give back so someone else has a chance at leading a good life? I have a friend who's on a wait list for a lung transplant. I would prefer that he gets to live over someone's religious preferences.

Misha
12-10-2015, 09:37 PM
I am on the donor list. I will be cremated. If my organs can help another survive, go for it.

Skarner
12-10-2015, 09:43 PM
I'm would definitely donate my organs if it would help someone else. It's pretty upsetting when people deny their family a blood transfusion/organ donor because of their religion. It's not logical at all.

Brickhaus
12-10-2015, 09:53 PM
I personally don't care what happens to my body once I'm dead - I'll be dead, after all. :P Take as many organs as you want.

Roslyn
12-10-2015, 09:59 PM
Yes, no question.

Bowsette
12-10-2015, 10:00 PM
What the hell do I care where my organs go once I'm dead. Somebody might as well get use out of them.

Sci_Girl
12-10-2015, 10:03 PM
I wonder if there is a generational aspect to it. I have asked my grandma, years ago mind you and she said no way. Bf's mom is a no, I know her family and they would likely be a no. Has anyone asked their parents or know what your parents would say?

Bowsette
12-10-2015, 10:05 PM
I wonder if there is a generational aspect to it. I have asked my grandma, years ago mind you and she said no way. Bf's mom is a no, I know her family and they would likely be a no. Has anyone asked their parents or know what your parents would say?

My dad could care less. He thinks the same way I do

fairydust201
12-10-2015, 10:46 PM
yessssssssss

Winona
12-10-2015, 11:30 PM
I'm a registered donor, so is everyone in my family. I think a lot of people's opinions are based on how they want to be buried after death, whether it's a traditional burial or cremation. Nobody in my family wants anything other than cremation, so I suppose we all have a bit of a "might as well let our bodies go to use" sort of attitude about it?

Naked Gamer
12-11-2015, 01:21 AM
I'll only donate to my family if it was needed. Surgery really makes me squirm like I can watch the stuff but can't imagine it being done to me it just freaks me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

potatoespotate
12-11-2015, 01:31 AM
I will definitely be willing to donate my organs when I'm dead, but I'll probably not be willing to be a live kidney or liver donor or something. maybe if it's like an emergency with someone very dear to me, but probably not? I'm kinda selfish and don't want to go through pain and medication unless I absolutely have to. if I'm dead though, harvest away?

this is also a very controversial topic but I've always felt that like instead of just killing off death penalty inmates via the injection thing, why don't they just harvest their organs for people in need or something? seems like such a waste esp if they were in perfect health... /shrug

Elf
12-11-2015, 02:30 AM
I would.

Even if there were a small chance I'd still be alive at the time of harvesting or something, I don't mind. I want my death to be helpful to someone if it happens that way.

Guy
12-11-2015, 04:36 AM
Nah, I want to be buried with all my organs

Killy
12-11-2015, 05:43 AM
Yes I would, I have no use for my organs once I am dead so if it can help someone then I am ll for it!

Mama Bear
12-11-2015, 05:49 PM
If they could help other people, it seems incredibly selfish of me to not. I don't need them when I'm dead.

Aska
12-11-2015, 06:20 PM
If my organs can help when I'm dead, then yes. I am already registered as an organ donor.

I remember having this conversation with my mom at least. She had cancer so I'm not entirely sure they'd even take her organs. But she says no based on her current/former health.

Pusheen
12-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Of course. Already an organ donor too.

Wormjaw
12-11-2015, 09:29 PM
I'm registered as an organ donor, because like most people I wanna help someone else live if I'm dead/what am I going to do with them other than rot with them? Seems like a waste imho. But I can see why my family members are sorta wigged out imagining me dead and some people going in there harvesting shit with no control over it..

But hey if someone wants my shit organs when I'm dead why the fuck not.

workallnight
01-11-2016, 02:36 AM
yes, already registered as a bone marrow donor. i'm sure many other people will be able to use my organs if i die early

nahtrex
01-29-2016, 01:36 PM
I'm registered as a donor. I'd rather they put my body to good use after I die.

Brittanee
01-29-2016, 04:46 PM
For a long time, I was a little weirded out by donating my organs but the last time I got my ID renewed, I said fuck it, and I'm now a registered Organ Donor. :D

Sci_Girl
01-29-2016, 09:05 PM
I am so happy and proud to see that so many members here are not only willing to donate but they have already registered to do so! If the worst were to happen to someone here at least we know some good hearts are going places :).

Howl
01-30-2016, 05:03 PM
In the UK, or atleast in Wales where I live, we'll now how to OPT OUT from Organ donation. Meaning, that we're all automatically registered onto the list, and we have to go out of our way if we want to take ourselves off.

I don't have anything against organ donation per se, but this just feels like another step towards the Govn't trying not only to control our minds, but our bodies too. It should be totally up to the individual, and I would have absolutely no problem going onto the list because I mean, once I'm gone, if someone else can live from my remains, then I feel like a part of me is still living on and doing some good. However, I want that choice and because it's not widely publicised that you have to take yourself off now, I think that some people will have that choice taken away from them.

Elf
01-30-2016, 05:30 PM
I don't know why but this question is making me laugh really hard

I'd donate them one by one on the black market making money and having slowly less and less function to my body but I'd be able to pay my bills so who cares

Howl
01-30-2016, 06:15 PM
I don't know why but this question is making me laugh really hard

I'd donate them one by one on the black market making money and having slowly less and less function to my body but I'd be able to pay my bills so who cares

Ahahahah! I think that sounds like an excellent business idea. You could start with you're shitty organs, y'know, the one's that can be harvested without any consequence.

"S>ONE KIDNEY AND PART OF A LUNG, �1000 OBO".

Until you get to a point where you're just a sack of bones.

Elf
01-30-2016, 06:21 PM
Ahahahah! I think that sounds like an excellent business idea. You could start with you're shitty organs, y'know, the one's that can be harvested without any consequence.

"S>ONE KIDNEY AND PART OF A LUNG, �1000 OBO".

Until you get to a point where you're just a sack of bones.

Kidney UFT; seeking cash or slave services only

other organs? nty glt

Water
01-30-2016, 07:39 PM
Yes, giving life after death is pretty cool

Misha
01-31-2016, 09:01 AM
I don't see a reason not to. If I can help someone else after I'm gone, harvest away!

neoplux
02-02-2016, 04:25 AM
I would, but they don't want mine. IDK why they are so strict and picky, like the receiver cares I have irrelevant health issues.

Sci_Girl
02-02-2016, 05:18 PM
I would, but they don't want mine. IDK why they are so strict and picky, like the receiver cares I have irrelevant health issues.

To be fair any recipient would prefer to have healthy organs transplanted. It is all a case-by-case basis though. Individuals with HIV and recent cancer are exluded as donors. However there is more than just organs that can be donated, and someone with a certain condition may not be able to give their heart but their liver may be healthy to give. It always varies. For example if a person is not eligible for donating their pancreas due to Type 1 Diabetes they may still be eligible to give tendons or skin grafts amongst other things. It's up to the Doctors though. HIV patients can even donate to other HIV patients, but not to non-infected individuals. Even smokers lungs can be donated as a transplant, given the recipient takes well to it and they are a non-smoker they can make the lungs healthy again. There are still a lot of options even when people believe they could not be a donor.

I Love You
02-05-2016, 03:40 AM
Yes I would. I would like to donate my organs so I could help save other people's lives. That's a really nice thing to do. That's what Jesus would do :)

alfa_romeo
02-13-2016, 08:23 AM
Yes of course. I am a healthy individual without any hereditary or genetic disorders (thus far at least), hence there is no good reason why I should choose not to donate my organs if something were to happen to me. I am already registered where I live.

Besides, if you're dead you won't have to worry about the 'icky' factor.

The question is if religion should prevent an individual from donating organs, or having surgical procedures, etc.

Sociopath
02-26-2016, 10:15 PM
I'm an organ donor on my license, but I plan to reverse my decision on my next renewal/or when I transfer my license to another state.

I've just grown uncomfortable with the idea. I'm really not sure why, it's just something that disturbs enough that I no longer want to participate. Probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

DJ Music Man
02-26-2016, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I guess, although, the idea does irk me a bit.... I am a bit of a chicken when it comes to any sort of surgery or anything, and I've avoided fixing my TMJ or looking at my bad knee because I am afraid of going under the knife or getting a pin in my body, and, I know, you only donate when you're dead, but yet.... IDK, I mean, I guess that, after seeing my mother's gallbladder surgery and c-section mess and the whole after surgery issues, I am sort of really like, wary of people cutting into my body.... :(

Urbex
02-27-2016, 02:23 PM
Yes, I'm a donor. If I can't use them anymore, why shouldn't another good person use them?

zxzero
02-27-2016, 02:34 PM
After watching Angel Beats (spoiler alert) it made me cry and encouraged me to sign up for this. So yes, I would.

looklook123123
02-27-2016, 02:54 PM
I was just talking with my girlfriend about this yesterday. I'm not a registered donor and she is. She told me they sew you back up nicely so that you are presentable at a wake/funeral which I wasn't sure how well that was done. But it is something I am considering reversing since it's not as bad as I had imagined it.

Vindictive
02-27-2016, 05:37 PM
Im not a registered donor but the thought of my organs just decaying away in a box when i can save a life is dumb. So im looking into possibly registering.

My liver might be useless however :rolleyes:

icebox
02-28-2016, 12:44 AM
in New Zealand you have to make a decision about organ donation when you get a drivers' license, as your donor status is recorded on it (which is a bit morbid, as it basically means "if I crash and die you can salvage whatever you can")

most people here have 'donor' on their license

trouble is, we still have legislation in place that allows the deceased's family to override their donor status

which is super dumb and disrespectful if you think about it :c we still have work to do here with donor legislation

Vegeance
03-03-2016, 11:36 PM
There's no cost to me, so it does not matter whatsoever. Yes or no would have the same significance; the life of some unknown stranger to me is equally good and equally bad, and my valuation function for anything that follows after my life is zero just as whatever had occurred before I was born in this world. However, if the technological progress progresses to a point where I can reasonably restore my body's condition to a functional state or have the information about me saved, then I would not want to donate my organs.

But, this question will become increasingly obsolete over the next few decades as we are more able to grow organs and tissues from induced pluripotent stem cells, transient bacterial genetic engineering modules and various other biotechnological advancements that are coming over the several next generations with regenerative medicine coming closer to reality.

Vial
03-05-2016, 12:52 AM
i personally would not, also i dont thinkt hey be worth it, as i have some issues and such.

cute.
03-05-2016, 09:22 AM
i could donate a kidney or part of my liver or bone marrow to a family member while im alive..
but i probably wouldnt donate my organs when i die.. i feel like this is because of some religious reasons my mum had mentioned once. even though im not big on following my faith, i do stick to doing "the right thing" by others and following the 10 commandments to have my shot at "heaven" and leaving my soul at peace haha

MrSlowBro
03-06-2016, 05:19 PM
i have thought about this before as they give you an option when you get ur license , but hellll no because i dont want them going through my dead body for organs... sorry that just doesn't sit well

gilly777
06-05-2016, 01:14 PM
In France a person is assumed to be an organ donor if they don't register themselves on a list saying they don't want to have their organs taken after their death. However if the person has left no written instruction its the family who decides whether or not the organs can be used.
Personally I'm all for it. I mean, once I'm dead I won't need my organs any more so if they can save someone else I see non reason why they couldn't have it. Except maybe my eyes. It's stupid superstition but the idea of somebody wearing them kinda creeps me out.

Primrose
06-05-2016, 02:09 PM
I've heard you can donate your eyes too? I would never donate my eyes :O

Sci_Girl
06-05-2016, 03:09 PM
I've heard you can donate your eyes too? I would never donate my eyes :O

Whole eyes no. They can take corneas though and give people their sight back. Whole eyes could be donated for medical research or as study specimens for med students.

chime
06-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Yes, I'm a registered organ donor. I don't see any reason not to (for me personally) as I won't need them.

Cath
06-05-2016, 04:04 PM
I used to be against it for various selfish reason, but I grew older and I'm all for it now either if it's a donation while I'm alive or dead. My bestfriend recently had a kidney graft and her mother was the donor. She was born with only one kidney and had severe kidney failures since she was very young. Seeing her going through this made me realize that it's super important for people to be registered donors. I'd definitely be ready for it if it were for a family member or somebody I truly care about, but it might requires some more thoughts if it's for somebody I don't know at all. However, I'd definitely think about it if it doesn't put my own health in danger. As for when I'm dead, I'd gladly be an organ donor since it's more important to save a life (or more!) than to let my organs go underground with me.

Primrose
06-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Whole eyes no. They can take corneas though and give people their sight back. Whole eyes could be donated for medical research or as study specimens for med students.

That makes a lot more sense then donating whole eyes... didn't know that

Irohh
06-05-2016, 06:18 PM
Probably yes. I mean, I'd be dead anyway, so why not if it saves a life or two? Hundreds of people die on the list waiting for a transplant and I think those people deserve a chance. :P

I personally think it would be a little wasteful to just bury me. Organs will eventually rot.