PDA

View Full Version : What supplements do you take for working out?

n_eko
11-25-2015, 09:57 PM
I'm pretty new to working out and as a girl I don't know what supplements(if any) I should take. I take my multi-vitamins, protein and will occasionally take some of my boyfriends pre-workout.

What do you take and why?

11-25-2015, 10:17 PM
how old are you? Over 18?

Work with one scoop of C4 extreme (any flavor) for about a month or two and move up to two scoops

Then one scoop of golden whey after

Skarner
11-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Here's a pretty good breakdown video. Not really sure how these effect girls, so it's up to you and maybe a doctor to determine what you need. I personally use whey protein, fish oil tablets, multivitamins, and I'm trying out beta-alanine. I used pre-workouts for a few weeks, but they make my heart rate go insane, so I cut them out.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Sci_Girl
11-25-2015, 10:38 PM
Waste of money. If you already have a good diet do not bother with the protein powders or supplements. The 18-30 year olds that live off the stuff and look like gorillas are jacked up on the idea that they are a wonder method...and the shit ton of caffeine that is in the products. If you have a good diet then adding the extra protein puts you at risk for kidney, heart and bone disease. Excess protein is not good. Medical studies have shown little to no effect, largely a placebo effect.

As for other supplements they are basically sugar placebos. Medical studies continually show they are just lies in a bottle. Other than maybe, and I mean maybe maybe, Vitamin D tablets if you are in a relatively non-sunny location you really do not need to take anything. Consulting with your doctor about any extra supplements is the best way to approach it.

Keep in mind questions like yours are the bread and butter for the scammers and snake oil salesmen. I know you know those people are out there waiting for someone to believe there is a magic method.

Skarner
11-26-2015, 12:42 AM
Waste of money. If you already have a good diet do not bother with the protein powders or supplements. The 18-30 year olds that live off the stuff and look like gorillas are jacked up on the idea that they are a wonder method...and the shit ton of caffeine that is in the products. If you have a good diet then adding the extra protein puts you at risk for kidney, heart and bone disease. Excess protein is not good. Medical studies have shown little to no effect, largely a placebo effect.

As for other supplements they are basically sugar placebos. Medical studies continually show they are just lies in a bottle. Other than maybe, and I mean maybe maybe, Vitamin D tablets if you are in a relatively non-sunny location you really do not need to take anything. Consulting with your doctor about any extra supplements is the best way to approach it.

Keep in mind questions like yours are the bread and butter for the scammers and snake oil salesmen. I know you know those people are out there waiting for someone to believe there is a magic method.

I agree with you that there are many supplement companies trying to take advantage of the average schmuck. However there are many supplements which are proven to increase physical performance.

Protein

Regarding protein, of course massive quantities will have adverse effects on an individual. Research has been done to show protein intake ~2.3-3.4 grams of protein/kg of body weight in conjecture with a heavy-resistance training program may have benefits to body composition, and do not have harmful effects. Source: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

I'm going to arbitrarily use a 160 lb individual who partakes in high-resistance training. That person would require ~160 grams of protein per day. Of course, eating 160 grams of protein through a healthy diet would be ideal here, but that can be both very hard and expensive to meet every day. This is where whey protein is useful, as just one scoop can provide ~20-30 grams of protein. Also, I've found many sources which refute the argument that high protein diets cause health implications.
If you're interested, you can read some here: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Beta-Alanine

Here's an article which shows that beta-alanine has an increase in exercise capacity. [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Added stuff in spoilers because it was just an unsightly wall of text without it.. Anyways, I hope people take the time to read some of it. I'm not a doctor or nutrition expert, so I'd recommend consulting with medical professionals before taking supplements. With that being said, supplements are exactly what they are, supplements. Hopefully people are researching what they're consuming and deciding if it's legit or snake oil.

Naked Gamer
11-26-2015, 05:13 AM
Used to take Whey Double choc think was gold+ or something was a long time back but didn't really notice to many changes using it so just stayed natural and ate Kangaroo meat more often since it's super high in protein, only down side to cooking Roo steak or mince etc is that it doesn't smell the best lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sci_Girl
11-26-2015, 08:51 AM
I agree with you that there are many supplement companies trying to take advantage of the average schmuck. However there are many supplements which are proven to increase physical performance.

Protein

Regarding protein, of course massive quantities will have adverse effects on an individual. Research has been done to show protein intake ~2.3-3.4 grams of protein/kg of body weight in conjecture with a heavy-resistance training program may have benefits to body composition, and do not have harmful effects. Source: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

I'm going to arbitrarily use a 160 lb individual who partakes in high-resistance training. That person would require ~160 grams of protein per day. Of course, eating 160 grams of protein through a healthy diet would be ideal here, but that can be both very hard and expensive to meet every day. This is where whey protein is useful, as just one scoop can provide ~20-30 grams of protein. Also, I've found many sources which refute the argument that high protein diets cause health implications.
If you're interested, you can read some here: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Beta-Alanine

Here's an article which shows that beta-alanine has an increase in exercise capacity. [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Added stuff in spoilers because it was just an unsightly wall of text without it.. Anyways, I hope people take the time to read some of it. I'm not a doctor or nutrition expert, so I'd recommend consulting with medical professionals before taking supplements. With that being said, supplements are exactly what they are, supplements. Hopefully people are researching what they're consuming and deciding if it's legit or snake oil.

And how many of those working out, also taking magic protein powders, follow proper dietary guidelines? Or do they load up on protein?

I liked the papers though, I will read more later.

Though the protein intake alarmed me. Recommended dietary intake of protein is about .7-.8g per kg per day. 2.5-4+g/kg is already very very high.

Skarner
11-26-2015, 08:23 PM
And how many of those working out, also taking magic protein powders, follow proper dietary guidelines? Or do they load up on protein?

I liked the papers though, I will read more later.

Though the protein intake alarmed me. Recommended dietary intake of protein is about .7-.8g per kg per day. 2.5-4+g/kg is already very very high.

They calculated that RDA based on the average sedentary individual and did not account for athletes/people looking to gain muscle. 4+g/kg is pretty high, but generally a lot of athletes, bodybuilders, and powerlifters stick to around 2 g/kg or 1g/lb, which is well within the safe amounts as supported by various research papers; provided the individual does not have any sort of issues with their kidneys.

n_eko
11-26-2015, 08:46 PM
how old are you? Over 18?

Work with one scoop of C4 extreme (any flavor) for about a month or two and move up to two scoops

Then one scoop of golden whey after

Yea I'm 21, and is that a pre-workout? do you actually notice a difference?

Used to take Whey Double choc think was gold+ or something was a long time back but didn't really notice to many changes using it so just stayed natural and ate Kangaroo meat more often since it's super high in protein, only down side to cooking Roo steak or mince etc is that it doesn't smell the best lmao

Where does one go to get Kangaroo meat..Also seems like that would be pretty expensive!

11-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Yea I'm 21, and is that a pre-workout? do you actually notice a difference?

Where does one go to get Kangaroo meat..Also seems like that would be pretty expensive!

C4 extreme is a pre-workout which you need to be careful with. Well, i started taking it at 16-17 (which was a bad, bad idea) and limit your first scoop. I def notice a difference, gives me a little energetic. You can also try "C4 on the Go" (same thing). This will get you sweating though like there's a cloud above your head

Golden whey is protein (mainly for post workout)

n_eko
11-26-2015, 10:47 PM
C4 extreme is a pre-workout which you need to be careful with. Well, i started taking it at 16-17 (which was a bad, bad idea) and limit your first scoop. I def notice a difference, gives me a little energetic. You can also try "C4 on the Go" (same thing). This will get you sweating though like there's a cloud above your head

Golden whey is protein (mainly for post workout)

For some reason it's harder for me to sweat so I'll try C4 on the Go for sure. The first time I tried pre-workout my hands and feet started itching like mad for like 10 minutes though lol

11-26-2015, 10:57 PM
It does for sure give you a tingle. I'm not sure "how many scoops" on the go is; read the labels for sure though.

Todoroki
11-28-2015, 02:54 PM
The first time I tried pre-workout my hands and feet started itching like mad for like 10 minutes though lolIt's the beta alanine in the preworkout that causes that. Anyways what are your fitness goals?

xpecial
11-28-2015, 03:07 PM
Creatine ,Whey Isolate, Multivitamins, and fish oils.
Other than that sleep, food, and staying well hydrated.

n_eko
11-29-2015, 02:42 PM
It's the beta alanine in the preworkout that causes that. Anyways what are your fitness goals?

Im trying to build strength and muscle, my lower body has always been decent but I my upper body strength is non-existent lol

lollageee
01-22-2016, 02:34 AM
Whey isolate is probably the best if you are trying to build strength and muscle.

In general, I try and avoid C4 because of the potential side effects it can have on your body.

01-22-2016, 10:31 AM
You def should not take c4 for anyone under eighteen.

You need to make sure you eat a lot before taking it, but obviously give yourself time from eating, to drinking c4, to working out.

My local gym recommends Apex as a "natural thing"

cute.
02-14-2016, 03:40 AM
i am a certified personal trainer and at the moment im studying traditional chinese medicine
what ive learnt so far is you should really stay away from all the protein shakes and preworkouts and creatines and whatnot. protein shakes arent so bad if you stick to the all natural and organic and non GMO stuff, otherwise all the others are just full of unnecessary chemicals that destroy your immune system. there are plenty of natural ways to get the "high" before your workout and that could even work better than any pre workout :)

hachikoesque
05-17-2016, 07:23 PM
there are plenty of natural ways to get the "high" before your workout and that could even work better than any pre workout :)

Hi cute., would you mind elaborating a little more on this? I tried pre-workout a few times but I didn't really like it all that much. Made me too jittery, I couldn't concentrate on what I was doing

cute.
05-17-2016, 08:30 PM
Hi cute., would you mind elaborating a little more on this? I tried pre-workout a few times but I didn't really like it all that much. Made me too jittery, I couldn't concentrate on what I was doing

Most pre workouts that people use are chemical based. That's what makes you all jittery and heart race..
There are plenty of herbal pre workouts that are chemical-free that have the same effect as a pre workout would, minus all the nasty side effects.
There's an Australian brand called "natural force" that my boyfriend uses (well I made him use it). It doesn't taste as sugary and nice as a conventional pre work out would, but it is a lot healthier and safer and my boyfriend says it works as well as any other pre workout he's tried.