PDA

View Full Version : Any runners around?

keighty
10-24-2015, 04:02 PM
I love running. I usually run 5/10k's and am training for a half-marathon in April! If so, post below!

looklook123123
10-24-2015, 04:27 PM
Running around 60miles/week here :)

keighty
10-24-2015, 04:36 PM
dang! Thats impressive. I run between 10-15 per week as of right now. I'm sure that will ramp up once i get closer to the half-marathon.

I_royalty_I
10-24-2015, 05:17 PM
I used to run everyday but got crazy busy with school and life and kind of stopped. Started back up again when the new year started and was feeling great but then I sprained my ankle really good and was down for awhile. Just when I was starting back up I rolled it again and had a high ankle sprain. I'm almost back to the level I need to be to start running on it again. I want to get back to running 5/10ks, that's a good goal to start. Running a half mile is a pretty impressive feat. I know there are other people here who were training for something similar.
I'm attempting a 5k color run tomorrow so we'll see how that goes. It should be fun either way! haha

looklook123123
10-24-2015, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I do a half marathon every summer but I'm honestly not a fan of them as I end up with blisters and can't run a few days after. But I've actually dropped to ~50 a week now since my xc season is finishing up in the next 3-4 weeks. We are tapering to make the championship races feel easier so I will probably be cutting to even 40 a week. Once you start seeing results, you don't want to stop, like anything else. Once I'm graduated from college I'll probably still do around 20-25 a week but honestly not "good enough" to where I need to keep the shape I'm in because I'll never be the guy winning races and so forth.

But if you need or want workout help, I can get you situated for any volume you might be looking to target, and get you results. Just let me know :) (this applies to everyone, not just OP)

I_royalty_I
10-24-2015, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I do a half marathon every summer but I'm honestly not a fan of them as I end up with blisters and can't run a few days after. But I've actually dropped to ~50 a week now since my xc season is finishing up in the next 3-4 weeks. We are tapering to make the championship races feel easier so I will probably be cutting to even 40 a week. Once you start seeing results, you don't want to stop, like anything else. Once I'm graduated from college I'll probably still do around 20-25 a week but honestly not "good enough" to where I need to keep the shape I'm in because I'll never be the guy winning races and so forth.

But if you need or want workout help, I can get you situated for any volume you might be looking to target, and get you results. Just let me know :) (this applies to everyone, not just OP)

I have one friend who kept up the mileage they ran back in their track/xc days. He's crazy, but he is the guy winning the races so I can respect that dedication. We will have a heavy night of drinking and he will wake up early and go for an hour or two long run. Went to a bachelor party for a friend and this guy disappeared in the morning. We didn't know where he went but he came back and told us he went running at 6am. Crazy.

I always feel better after a good run. It could be one/two miles or 10miles. The rest of the day just feels better after you get a decent workout in. I miss that feeling. The toughest part is getting started so I'm kind of apprehensive about this race tomorrow. I know it's going to suck because I haven't run had a serious run in for at least 3 months.

looklook123123
10-24-2015, 06:29 PM
I have one friend who kept up the mileage they ran back in their track/xc days. He's crazy, but he is the guy winning the races so I can respect that dedication. We will have a heavy night of drinking and he will wake up early and go for an hour or two long run. Went to a bachelor party for a friend and this guy disappeared in the morning. We didn't know where he went but he came back and told us he went running at 6am. Crazy.

I always feel better after a good run. It could be one/two miles or 10miles. The rest of the day just feels better after you get a decent workout in. I miss that feeling. The toughest part is getting started so I'm kind of apprehensive about this race tomorrow. I know it's going to suck because I haven't run had a serious run in for at least 3 months.

Waking up early always sucks but you do feel much better once you do a few miles. Two or three days a week I'll do a light run before my 8AM and even though I've been up the longest, I'm always the most awake one in class haha.

Don't take tomorrow seriously. Obviously try but don't go out and kill yourself. Without the proper buildup, you'll just find yourself with another injury. :/ Neither of us want to see that! Just have a fun run, that's what color runs are and be sure to post a before/after pic of your clothes :P

keighty
10-24-2015, 07:04 PM
I have been having ankle problems so i try not to push it. I have been using KT tape to give my Achilles some support. I don't want to NOT run though. So I just run around around 3-4 miles at a time and do some speed work 1 day a week. I want to start upping my weekend run, increasing a mile every two weeks or so to get up to where i need to be for my half.

Ribbon
10-24-2015, 07:19 PM
I had a grade 2 sprain on my ankle for something unrelated about a month ago
i'm ok to walk now but i miss running ;_;
can't wait to get back into it.

cookiemunster
10-24-2015, 09:28 PM
I love running and really miss it. I used to run about 5 miles every day. A few years ago I was in a bad accident and I haven't ran since then. After surgery and a few years of recovery now I'm finally not in pain every day. I feel like I'm at a point where I /can/ start getting back into running, but I'm scared. lol I don't know how to start from scratch and I'm scared I'm going to get hurt again. If anyone has any advice throw it at me please. C:
It was a pelvic/high femur/groin injury as well as a partial meniscus tear in my knee on that leg. Everything was fixed except for the meniscus tear. Only hurts when I step down on it getting out of my tall truck sometimes. :P Hip only bothers me if I've been walking all day at a theme park or something. Then it starts feeling like I'm walking away from my leg and it's going to get left behind. lol IDK how to explain it.

I_royalty_I
10-24-2015, 10:19 PM
I love running and really miss it. I used to run about 5 miles every day. A few years ago I was in a bad accident and I haven't ran since then. After surgery and a few years of recovery now I'm finally not in pain every day. I feel like I'm at a point where I /can/ start getting back into running, but I'm scared. lol I don't know how to start from scratch and I'm scared I'm going to get hurt again. If anyone has any advice throw it at me please. C:
It was a pelvic/high femur/groin injury as well as a partial meniscus tear in my knee on that leg. Everything was fixed except for the meniscus tear. Only hurts when I step down on it getting out of my tall truck sometimes. :P Hip only bothers me if I've been walking all day at a theme park or something. Then it starts feeling like I'm walking away from my leg and it's going to get left behind. lol IDK how to explain it.

The toughest part is getting started. Some people who have never really done muchh running give up shortly after starting because they don't want to push through. Getting started is the worst because you have to deal with the struggle that is 'getting back into shape'. Id say start off slow. Do some light fun run kind of things. Mix in a little strength training then finish off with a little more intense running.
When I started getting into the swing of things (and what I plan to do soon) is to do about a one mile warm up at a jog. Do so strength/weight training in the middle, then finish off with another mile or two. Up it or cut it back as you need to. Realistically, you know what would work best for you since you've had experience with things.

cookiemunster
10-24-2015, 11:11 PM
The toughest part is getting started. Some people who have never really done muchh running give up shortly after starting because they don't want to push through. Getting started is the worst because you have to deal with the struggle that is 'getting back into shape'. Id say start off slow. Do some light fun run kind of things. Mix in a little strength training then finish off with a little more intense running.
When I started getting into the swing of things (and what I plan to do soon) is to do about a one mile warm up at a jog. Do so strength/weight training in the middle, then finish off with another mile or two. Up it or cut it back as you need to. Realistically, you know what would work best for you since you've had experience with things.

Thanks for the tips. c: I guess I should just try to suck it up and get up early tomorrow for a run. Getting started is the absolute worst. lol I definitely need to start slow though, because I'm really accident/injury prone.

I_royalty_I
10-24-2015, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the tips. c: I guess I should just try to suck it up and get up early tomorrow for a run. Getting started is the absolute worst. lol I definitely need to start slow though, because I'm really accident/injury prone.

You don't even have to wake up early. I used to tell myself I'd get up early and get a run in but I'm not even close to a morning person so it wasn't realistic at all. I usually go to the gym late in the evenings or mid afternoon. Get to it whenever sounds good to you.
I know that struggle. I didn't have any injury as intense as yours, but I had lots of little ones. The worst was probably when I chipped a piece of bone of my hip. This was back when I was doing XC. I was crushing the course and doing so well but then I just got an immense cramp and slowed to a crawl. The doc said he can't believe I finished running a race considering most people are curled up in pain when something like that happens. Adrenaline I guess lol

Keep track of how far you run and your times too btw! If you keep track of things and see improvements you'll be more likely to stick with things.

cookiemunster
10-25-2015, 12:10 AM
You don't even have to wake up early. I used to tell myself I'd get up early and get a run in but I'm not even close to a morning person so it wasn't realistic at all. I usually go to the gym late in the evenings or mid afternoon. Get to it whenever sounds good to you.
I know that struggle. I didn't have any injury as intense as yours, but I had lots of little ones. The worst was probably when I chipped a piece of bone of my hip. This was back when I was doing XC. I was crushing the course and doing so well but then I just got an immense cramp and slowed to a crawl. The doc said he can't believe I finished running a race considering most people are curled up in pain when something like that happens. Adrenaline I guess lol

Keep track of how far you run and your times too btw! If you keep track of things and see improvements you'll be more likely to stick with things.

I like to go in the mornings so it's not as hot, but I'm also not a morning person at all. I would go at night, but I have to take the little ones with me and they go to bed early. We'll see though. I'll figure something out. :P Oh yeah, keeping track is another good idea, thanks.
Ouch, I just cringed reading that and I totally feel your pain. You don't realize how much you use your hips until you injure one. I would rather get stabbed than have another bad hip injury. lol

Good luck with your 5k tomorrow!

Naked Gamer
10-25-2015, 03:25 AM
I started too for a little but I just don't have the lungs or maybe my breathing but either way I was always out of breath after little bit. I like to ride a bike though and Row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I_royalty_I
10-25-2015, 08:29 AM
I started too for a little but I just don't have the lungs or maybe my breathing but either way I was always out of breath after little bit. I like to ride a bike though and Row.

Id imagine rowing would be a pretty good workout. Being out of breathe just means you have to stick with it. That's the struggle you face when you're just starting out. You've got to push through it until you get in better shape and running get easier. It's never truly "easy" but it becomes more enjoyable. You should focus on your breathing. Try to control it, deeper breathes. Also, your form may be an issue. Some people swing their arms side to side. That tires out your upper body quicker. Move your arms front to back. It may feel a little strange but you'll be more efficient.
Eventually you'll never to the point where you're not exhausted and you can take a good run while not feeling like you're going to die haha

Naked Gamer
10-25-2015, 09:05 AM
Id imagine rowing would be a pretty good workout. Being out of breathe just means you have to stick with it. That's the struggle you face when you're just starting out. You've got to push through it until you get in better shape and running get easier. It's never truly "easy" but it becomes more enjoyable. You should focus on your breathing. Try to control it, deeper breathes. Also, your form may be an issue. Some people swing their arms side to side. That tires out your upper body quicker. Move your arms front to back. It may feel a little strange but you'll be more efficient.
Eventually you'll never to the point where you're not exhausted and you can take a good run while not feeling like you're going to die haha

Hahaha probably right! Running never been my thing.

I love doing rowing it's fun and good upper body/core workout and just love it, pretty good form there, Same with on the bike. Yeah I always get to the point when running my lungs going to explode haha and get like a stitch feeling probably why I just give up on that.

looklook123123
10-25-2015, 09:06 AM
I got sick once and stopped breathing out of my nose but if you can breathe through your nose as opposed your mouth that will also help, especially early on.

I_royalty_I
10-25-2015, 09:09 AM
Hahaha probably right! Running never been my thing.

I love doing rowing it's fun and good upper body/core workout and just love it, pretty good form there, Same with on the bike. Yeah I always get to the point when running my lungs going to explode haha and get like a stitch feeling probably why I just give up on that.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

I got a cramp towards the end of my 5k I did today but I was trying to keep up with a few people and took off a little too quick. I should have stuck to a nice jog but nothing even goes according to plan lol

keighty
10-25-2015, 10:59 AM
I would love some tips on how to improve my 5k time. I have been trying to work on speed (400 repeats) + indurance training (4-5 miles on my long run saturday).

looklook123123
10-25-2015, 12:11 PM
I would love some tips on how to improve my 5k time. I have been trying to work on speed (400 repeats) + indurance training (4-5 miles on my long run saturday).

Your long runs need to be longer than 4 or 5miles and your speed workouts need to be more than 400s.
If you're looking to improve your 5k time, your long run of the week needs to be 20-25% of your total distance for the week. Why? If your body only recognizes you running a mile or so more than the actual race itself, it won't be able to withstand running about the same distance on a competitive level. The long runs don't have to be fast, and can be a little slower than your regular runs.

If you're trying to keep a better overall pace in a 5k, your workout should be ~3.5miles such as mile, mile and a half, half mile, half mile. with 1-2minute breaks in between each.
It'll be more than your actual race, but the breaks will help, and you can always crush the half miles at the end. :)

keighty
10-25-2015, 12:23 PM
thanks, ill have to work my way up to 13 miles anyways for my half, and my middle of the week runs are usually 1 mile run, 1 min break X 3 or 4. Thanks! i will start incorporating those into my training, I need new ideas anyways to not get too bored :P

keighty
11-01-2015, 12:59 PM
I reeeeeeeeeallly want to go run today (Sunday Runday!) but its pouring down ran. I don't mind running in the rain, but not a downpour. I also HATE running on a treadmill :(