PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to lose weight?

Cath
10-07-2015, 12:39 AM
I must admit that I've been reporting this for years, but I really want to lose about 20 pounds...

I have a treadmill at home, but I'm not really sure how to use it to lose as much weight as possible.
(Like how long each session? Do I need to do walking/running intervals? How many times a week for a beginner?)

What else should I be doing (preferably at home) that can help me lose weight?

I also need advices to keep myself motivated. I do want to lose weight. I do want to find myself pretty and sexy. But after 24-48 hours, I always get back to the "whatever, I look good anyway and I like eating pastas" way of thinking. Any tips to keep focussed and not want to go back to old habits? (I don't eat any junk food/chips/dessert, but I just can't stop myself eating pastas/bread/and such)

Any help is appreciated!

Ribbon
10-07-2015, 01:40 AM
Weight loss is like 80% diet and 20% exercise
Actually scratch that. Weight loss can be like 100% diet & no exercise at all - there's always that adage that you can't outrun a bad diet.
It's important for health purposes (cardiovascular health n stuff) but it's not going to help you lose much weight if you don't change the way you eat. If you want to start getting into running too, I recommend the couch to 5k program to get started but this takes a backseat to the changes in the dietary habits you have.

What you should do is:
1. calculate your TDEE (google TDEE calculator)
2. eat below your TDEE
3. be patient and persevere!

Use something like myfitnesspal to log everything you eat to see if you're on track. Use a scale, rather than an approximation because everyone tends to overestimate
Find out what works for you - a lot of people swear by light, frequent meals to keep you full but I prefer eating regular meals less frequently
and join forums that talk about weight loss to keep you motivated. don't weigh yourself for like a month after dieting because people get hella discouraged after day 3 when they find out you don't lose very much on a day-to-day basis.
Instead of having cheat days, have a cheat meal instead before you get back into the rhythm of things.

It really is that simple on paper - it's just the fact that it takes time and willpower which makes lifestyle changes hard.

I_royalty_I
10-07-2015, 02:01 AM
That's a very reasonable goal that im sure you'll have no trouble reaching. You don't need to starve yourself or eat tons of healthy foods that you hate in order to get there. That's actually a terrible way to go about t because once you reach your goal you will probably be inclined to slip back into your old habits.

Portions can play a big role. Eat smaller portions and add in a few healthier options. Grab some fruits or veggies to go along with lunch instead of whatever you currently get. You can have pasta but serve yourself less and eat it slowly. Pasta is filling and with the right things mixed in it can definitely be healthy. Carbs aren't all bad.

There isn't really a set amount you should do cardio unless you plan on making it a regular thing. I started with a half mile to a mile warm up, then did some weight lifting, core and then another two miles or so running. Mix it up. Do whatever sounds good for that day but always push yourself. You won't be doing yourself any favors if you work out at a comfortable level.

Youll get where you want to be in no time, even though you're perfectly fine as you are! :) :rolleyes:

Naked Gamer
10-07-2015, 05:04 AM
When I was fat (bad memories) I did 0% exercise and 100% diet using Keto I think it's called, i used the Keto sub reddit for meal ideas.
Lost 8kg in first week ended up loosing 32kg that months in total another 15kg following month to where I completed my goal then put a little back on when going back to normal eating!!! :( but lost again since I live on that diet now it's a life style now.

What this diet is in a nut shell is basically reducing your carb intake to 30g Max daily, Your body goes into a state called Ketosis where you loose loads of weight!!, sometimes you stop loosing weight or put a little on so what you do is go out buy load of chocolate and ice cream and all your favourite sweets and I'm not kidding here and eat all that shit in a day which will make your body go into over drive and start back up the process of Ketosis again!!!! Literally the best diet ever. I work out like 3 time a week is that I always get asked how I keep a six pack easy and all that shit but it's not that hard on this diet seriously.

100% faith it would work for almost anyone.

Edit: only down side is you pee like 10+ times a day you literally just can't hold anything in haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skarner
10-07-2015, 05:34 AM
MyFitnessPal is a great app to keep track of macros all day. It's pretty annoying to enter everything in but it's really one of the fastest ways to lose weight. You can use the app or another fitness website to enter your current weight, height, etc. and it will give you the amount to eat in order to reach your ideal entered weight in a given time.

Also, I find making a batch of food for one week or so allows you to follow your meal plan easily. Hard to cheat when everything is already prepared! This video by Furious Pete encouraged me to try this, and I do it whenever my parents aren't around to cook for me everyday. [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Can't really help with the running part since I don't run. Have problems with losing too much weight :hypnotysed:.

Motivation wise, one of the greatest things that helped me was to get a training partner. You mentioned that you prefer to do stuff at home, so maybe you can do something with your family/room mate or something. Training partners are great for exercising since you guys can always encourage each other to exercise if one person doesn't feel like it that day. They're also great because you know each others limits and you can always push each other past those limits.

Sci_Girl
10-07-2015, 01:34 PM
It's all about diet and exercise. If you already eat healthy then focus on the exercise. Do not fall for the vs "we have the only successful workout routine" or "lose 10 lbs a week fast with no effort!". Do what you like which could be going to the gym, maybe staying at home on the treadmill, going for walks in neighbourhood. Whatever is it make sure you like it. Working out is hard to do because it is work. A lot of people give up because it hurts, it makes you exhausted, you feel like you got hit by a truck. That is all true of working out, I will admit I failed at working out because of my absolute hate for those feelings one endures during working out. If you can push through those awful feelings you are well on your way to weight loss.

Keep in mind though that weight lost is not fast and never should be. It will take months if not years to get into that proper habit of diet and exercise. For a healthy weight loss no more than 1-2 lbs a week should happen. At the most. More than that and it is excessive water weight that will come back. Do not get into the mindset of quick fast little effort like what the media portrays. If you can ignore that garbage and go the healthy way then you are again well on your way to success.

Lastly, if you are already at a healthy weight then losing an addition 20 lbs is not a good idea. I know one girl who was 5'6 120 lbs and wanted to be no more than 105. Made no sense. That is unhealthy and unreasonable. You can actually create more health problems if you go down in weight like that. Keep it in reasonable perspective.

Cath
10-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Thank you so much guys for the advices! Ribbon I_royalty_I scarmans Skarner Sci_Girl
I really like the idea of preparing a few meals during the weekend so I can plan what I'll be eating during the week. Seems to me like it will be easier that way since I won't be tempted to eat something else because I hate wasting food. I'll try that as soon as possible and hopefully it will keep me motivated to do so the following weeks!

Also, I currently weight 143 pounds and I'm only 5'2" so I think there's some work to do. My ideal weight would be ~125 pounds I think. I've gained a lot of weight after high school because of several reasons and I just didn't do anything about it. Now I'm looking back at those pictures of me taken a few years ago and I actually miss my old body.

Mixing exercise AND drastic food change might be too much for me to start at the same time, so I think I'll try to work on the food I'm eating first and maybe run like 1 or 2 times a week to begin. I'm thinking about throwing away the bad food I've at home so I don't feel tempted all the times (cookies and such) even if I don't really eat those often. + I'll definitely take a look at that Keto subforum on reddit and see what it offers! :P

Also, I'll definitely download one of the app mentioned above to keep track of what I'm eating! Hopefully this will be a good way to keep me on track.

Sci_Girl
10-07-2015, 02:14 PM
Just remember when looking at those past photos that you are not a child anymore you are a woman. You will have hips you will have thighs. That is part of being a woman. Careful that you do not believe that you must have your teenage body again (some women get caught in that fantasy you know?). That of course does not mean you cannot strive to be a healthy weight. Be healthy but be the healthy you want not the exclusive body that a photo may show you.

Roslyn
10-07-2015, 03:38 PM
For home workouts I really like body weight exercises/HIIT. I don't know why I anyone pays for those video programs because there are tons of great ones on YouTube for free. And they come in all kinds of lengths so it's easy to find ones that fit your schedule.

I also second MyFitnessPal but I don't use it so much for calories as much as I do to see my carbs/proteins/fats breakdown. I love carbs, too. (Ramen *sob*)

As far as "losing weight as fast as possible" and the number of the scale goes... Don't focus around that. TAPE MEASURE. Seriously. It is a MUCH better indicator of progress. Heck, you could stay the same weight for months but still become smaller as your body composition starts to change. Set obtainable goals. Celebrate small victories.

Cath
10-07-2015, 03:44 PM
Just remember when looking at those past photos that you are not a child anymore you are a woman. You will have hips you will have thighs. That is part of being a woman. Careful that you do not believe that you must have your teenage body again (some women get caught in that fantasy you know?). That of course does not mean you cannot strive to be a healthy weight. Be healthy but be the healthy you want not the exclusive body that a photo may show you.

It's not really about having a "teenage body", it's more about being skinnier. There are plenty of women who are skinny and don't appear to have a child's body tbh. :P

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

For home workouts I really like body weight exercises/HIIT. I don't know why I anyone pays for those video programs because there are tons of great ones on YouTube for free. And they come in all kinds of lengths so it's easy to find ones that fit your schedule.

I also second MyFitnessPal but I don't use it so much for calories as much as I do to see my carbs/proteins/fats breakdown. I love carbs, too. (Ramen *sob*)

As far as "losing weight as fast as possible" and the number of the scale goes... Don't focus around that. TAPE MEASURE. Seriously. It is a MUCH better indicator of progress. Heck, you could stay the same weight for months but still become smaller as your body composition starts to change. Set obtainable goals. Celebrate small victories.

Ramen are soooo good :love_heart:

But that's a great idea that I hadn't thought about! I'll definitely put my hands on a measuring tape! How often do you think I should measure myself? Like once every two week or like once a month? I have no idea actually. I don't want to do it too often so I don't get depressed about no change at all. :emptiness:

Rainey
10-07-2015, 03:46 PM
Personally, I don't think diets work.
It requires you to stick to a certain food routine, and once you slip out of that routine you basically gain the weight back.

Exercise is the best way to go.

I love food too much to go on a diet.
If you splurge on food that day, then exercise more to burn it off. You'll feel better as well in the long run.
I wouldn't go out of your way to avoid food, track what you eat so you'll be little more aware.
Fitbits are magical when it comes to tracking.

Cath
10-07-2015, 03:51 PM
It requires you to stick to a certain food routine, and once you slip out of that routine you basically gain the weight back.

If you splurge on food that day, then exercise more to burn it off. You'll feel better as well in the long run.
I wouldn't go out of your way to avoid food, track what you eat so you'll be little more aware.

Do you have an idea of how long + how often should I exercise each week to keep myself motivated and have weight losses?
I have never really worked out, so I'm really clueless when it comes to exercising. I'm scared I either won't exercise enough or I will be so hardcore that I'll drop it after a week.

Ribbon
10-07-2015, 04:01 PM

That's the misconception.
People reach their goal weight and then slip back into old habits, which causes them to gain it all back.
What people don't realise about maintaining their weight is they're going to have to eat like that for the rest of their lives. "Diet" isn't a phase or a fad, the literal meaning for that word is "the kinds of food that somebody usually eats". Going on a diet means making changes to the way you eat food (and sustaining those changes for life) rather than starving themselves or w/e cosmopolitan says.
Because ultimately, it all just boils down to calories in/calories out.

Rainey
10-07-2015, 04:21 PM
Do you have an idea of how long + how often should I exercise each week to keep myself motivated and have weight losses?
I have never really worked out, so I'm really clueless when it comes to exercising. I'm scared I either won't exercise enough or I will be so hardcore that I'll drop it after a week.

I think paying for a membership kinda motivates me to go. Staying at home will give you excuses/distractions :P
Try to work your way up to exercising at least 5 days a week, for at least an hour a day. Once you get used to it, you'll enjoy it.

Obviously, don't overwhelm yourself when you first start out.
The key idea is to just have at least an hour a day where you're constantly moving. Maybe go for a mile everyday for the first week, 1.5 the second, and so on.

Ribbon, you're right. I think it is one of the most difficult lifestyle changes. I am still absolutely terrible when it comes to watching what I eat. :emptiness:

Roslyn
10-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Cath
I would say once every two weeks is a great place to start. (:

John_
10-07-2015, 06:28 PM
I lost 15kg after high school (still overweight tho :( ).. but I haven't gained any of it back so I guess thats OK
I was going to the gym about 4 times a week or once every other day, and the only real change I made in my diet was for lunch every day I'd have a big bowl of salad with a can of tuna!
At the gym I'd do 30 minutes on the treadmill and another 30 minutes on weights or machines.

If you're just starting out I recommend just eating a little bit less every meal, and exercising maybe once or twice a week. It took me about 4 months to lose the weight I did, but I can tell you that I did not have a great time during that period and that may deter people from doing it at all.

I've wanted to do it again but I keep putting it off.. uni and stuff have made me put it off for 3 years!

Cath
10-07-2015, 06:55 PM
I lost 15kg after high school (still overweight tho :( ).. but I haven't gained any of it back so I guess thats OK
I was going to the gym about 4 times a week or once every other day, and the only real change I made in my diet was for lunch every day I'd have a big bowl of salad with a can of tuna!
At the gym I'd do 30 minutes on the treadmill and another 30 minutes on weights or machines.

If you're just starting out I recommend just eating a little bit less every meal, and exercising maybe once or twice a week. It took me about 4 months to lose the weight I did, but I can tell you that I did not have a great time during that period and that may deter people from doing it at all.

I've wanted to do it again but I keep putting it off.. uni and stuff have made me put it off for 3 years!

I think I'll try to reduce my portions in each meal. I'll definitely try to eat less than I have been for the past years, and try to eat more veggie/fruits when I'm hungry. 15kg in 4 months is great! I really want that kind of motivation so I can keep going. :pride:

Sci_Girl
10-07-2015, 06:59 PM
Do you have a dog? Or know someone who does? Since you have not really worked out before you will want to ease into it. Simply taking the dog for a long walk is a good way to start. Your cardio will need to be up to par to do any of the workouts you see.

The worst I found when I tried to work out they would say a starter workout was run for 1 minute then rest 30 seconds, run another straight minute rest for 30 seconds for 10 minutes in total. I am so out of shape I could not do that, so out of breath and chest pains I thought I was having a heart attack. But I built up my endurance by taking the dogs for a walk and running every once and awhile rather than a period of time like the Internet said. Slowly but surely I could get to running a minute straight. But it sure hurt even when I could. I hate working out because of that lol. If you can run for a minute on and off then power to you lol.

John_
10-07-2015, 07:01 PM
I think I'll try to reduce my portions in each meal. I'll definitely try to eat less than I have been for the past years, and try to eat more veggie/fruits when I'm hungry. 15kg in 4 months is great! I really want that kind of motivation so I can keep going. :pride:

The hardest part about it is finding the time every day or every few days to exercise and develop a schedule. Once you get into it I think you'll be fine! Good luck :3

I hope I can find that motivation again too lol - another 15kg down and I'd be in a healthy weight range I'm pretty sure.

Cath
10-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Do you have a dog? Or know someone who does? Since you have not really worked out before you will want to ease into it. Simply taking the dog for a long walk is a good way to start. Your cardio will need to be up to par to do any of the workouts you see.

The worst I found when I tried to work out they would say a starter workout was run for 1 minute then rest 30 seconds, run another straight minute rest for 30 seconds for 10 minutes in total. I am so out of shape I could not do that, so out of breath and chest pains I thought I was having a heart attack. But I built up my endurance by taking the dogs for a walk and running every once and awhile rather than a period of time like the Internet said. Slowly but surely I could get to running a minute straight. But it sure hurt even when I could. I hate working out because of that lol. If you can run for a minute on and off then power to you lol.

I don't have a dog nor have any close friend/family with one sadly. :( I will definitely try the 1 minute run/30 seconds rest. (Does the "rest" part mean walking or really being immobile?) I'll let you know how it goes! lol

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

The hardest part about it is finding the time every day or every few days to exercise and develop a schedule. Once you get into it I think you'll be fine! Good luck :3

I hope I can find that motivation again too lol - another 15kg down and I'd be in a healthy weight range I'm pretty sure.

Let's be motivated together then! :D I keep telling myself I'll lose weight eventually and reporting any exercise session, but this time, I think I gotta do it. I can't just think about it, I need to make a change.

John_
10-07-2015, 07:18 PM
Cath
Sounds like a good idea. I actually just signed up at a gym a few weeks ago and I've gone in a few times. Good luck to us :)
I'm also graduating from uni at the end of this year so screw that and I can just focus on getting fit before the start of 2016

Roslyn
10-07-2015, 07:22 PM
Cath
I second the 30/60 thing (you can also do 60/120) but it's more effective if you sprint and rest versus just running and rest. You really want to get your heart rate up. The sprint/rest training is what I use to shave time off of my 2-mile run for the Army.

Sci_Girl
10-07-2015, 07:26 PM
The stuff I read was walk as a rest period. 30 seconds is nothing for a rest though. It sucks if you are not already in shape.

Roslyn
10-07-2015, 07:28 PM
The stuff I read was walk as a rest period. 30 seconds is nothing for a rest though. It sucks if you are not already in shape.
I meant sprint 30 seconds, walk for 60 seconds. Or, sprint for 60 seconds and walk for 120 seconds.

Cath
10-07-2015, 07:30 PM
Angie Sci_Girl

I'll definitely try it out! It might be exhausting, but I guess I can't expect to do non-exhausting things if I want a change and some results. Might want to die at first, but with practice I'm sure this will pay off!

Guy
10-07-2015, 07:32 PM
I'm trying the keto diet
I'll let you know how it goes in 3 weeks lol

Cath
10-07-2015, 07:34 PM
I'm trying the keto diet
I'll let you know how it goes in 3 weeks lol

Awesome! Definitely let me know. :D

Bettser
10-07-2015, 07:50 PM
Don't know if this was mentioned, but I tried the whole green tea extract and biotin thingy and I lost about 10 lbs. I also just like stopped eating out unless there was no option and I went from drinking 5 days a week to one or two.

Cath
10-07-2015, 07:55 PM
Don't know if this was mentioned, but I tried the whole green tea extract and biotin thingy and I lost about 10 lbs. I also just like stopped eating out unless there was no option and I went from drinking 5 days a week to one or two.

Never heard of the green tea/biotin thing. Do you know any website that talk about it??
And it's a good thing that I never drink. I just don't like how it tastes so I only drink water everyday. :pride:

Bettser
10-07-2015, 08:02 PM
Never heard of the green tea/biotin thing. Do you know any website that talk about it??
And it's a good thing that I never drink. I just don't like how it tastes so I only drink water everyday. :pride:

You can always make alcohol taste good.......

Its the same thingish as that garcino camioa or whatever that they overcharge for up the butt everywhere on the internet.

Sci_Girl
10-07-2015, 08:05 PM

Careful with supplements, lots of claims with zero FDA regulation. Many are total snake oil scams. Some can do more harm than good. Never ever buy medications or supplements online.

Green tea tastes like grass or dirt I guess lol. It is actually quite good and very very good for you. No need to buy online as any grocery store will have it. Biotin is also called Vitamin H. Doctors can recommend it for diabetes management, metabolism issues, hair loss, brittle nails, sometimes depression. Talk to a pharmacist for more info. And again never ever buy drugs or supplements online because of all the shady characters looking to make quick money.

Cath
10-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Careful with supplements, lots of claims with zero FDA regulation. Many are total snake oil scams. Some can do more harm than good. Never ever buy medications or supplements online.

Green tea tastes like grass or dirt I guess lol. It is actually quite good and very very good for you. No need to buy online as any grocery store will have it. Biotin is also called Vitamin H. Doctors can recommend it for diabetes management, metabolism issues, hair loss, brittle nails, sometimes depression. Talk to a pharmacist for more info. And again never ever buy drugs or supplements online because of all the shady characters looking to make quick money.

My parents are doctors, so I will verify with them what they think about it. If it's safe I'll ask if they can get me Biotin! But what does it exactly do to your body? :S
I really like green tea and didn't know it was that good for your body! Now that winter is coming, I guess it's a good time to buy some. Will definitely do so next time I go to the supermarket.

TheBaphomet
10-09-2015, 06:10 AM
I would advise against taking supplements. Once upon a time I use to work out and I started taking a stack of 6 - 8 supplements to help increase my productivity and gains. A few months after I stopped taking them I ended up getting extremely bad panic attacks along with other things. I also learned a year ago that the FDA actually banned some of the substances they were putting in at least 2 of the products.

Naked Gamer
10-09-2015, 06:27 AM
I would advise against taking supplements. Once upon a time I use to work out and I started taking a stack of 6 - 8 supplements to help increase my productivity and gains. A few months after I stopped taking them I ended up getting extremely bad panic attacks along with other things. I also learned a year ago that the FDA actually banned some of the substances they were putting in at least 2 of the products.

Haha yeah not many people consider after effects. Just don't take those things and stay natural like what's the point of gains anyways when you quit your body will hate you for it lol.

anabell008
10-16-2015, 07:38 PM
when i get on the treadmill, i try to burn around 200-300 calories on it... which for me is about 10--15 minutes running straight... or 5-7 mins walking elevated all the way up at a speed of about 4.2 and running for 5-8 mins...

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

and like the other person said, i definitely agree... i dont think you should take supplements... i have also learned the hard way... just eat healthy... dont ever think that you are too fat or anyting like that just try to stay healthy and eat... just eat what you want but in minimum... or if you eat healthy.. eat as much as you like!
i feel like losing weight is a lot in your diet though... not just exercise... but exercise too... but al ot of people fail because of their diet...
they will go burn 400 cals on a treadmill
then go home and 3 cookies that will just trash that.

Cath
10-20-2015, 06:39 PM
Just thought I'd make an update on this thread!
I've started eating smaller portions and stopped eating any sweet stuff such as desserts, cookies and such.
I've lost 6 pounds in the last 2 weeks. I don't see any difference on my body, but it feels good to see the pounds lost on the balance. :D

Hopefully I won't gain them back anytime soon... Still 14 pounds to go to reach my goal!

Misha
10-20-2015, 06:41 PM
I've started eating a smaller portions and stopped eating any sweet stuff such as deserts, cookies and such.
I've lost 6 pounds in the last 2 weeks. I don't see any difference on my body, but it feels good to see the pounds lost on the balance. :D

Hopefully I won't gain them back anytime soon... Still 14 pounds to go to reach my goal!

You go girl!

Naked Gamer
10-20-2015, 07:27 PM
I've started eating smaller portions and stopped eating any sweet stuff such as desserts, cookies and such.

good going so you're cutting down a lot on sugar all round? you'll get to your goal in no time but then the real struggle is to keep it off.

teddy
10-20-2015, 07:40 PM
Calorie restriction is the easiest way to lose weight, counting is the easiest way. You can eat bread and such, just in small portions. :)

Depending on how much you normally eat, if you eat 1200 or 1500 calories a day (and minus the calories you work out), you'll definitely lose weight. I've lost 50 pounds this way! All my friends who have done it have all lost weight as well c:

Sci_Girl
10-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Really makes you realize how crappy our diets are. All you did was basic changes, put less on the plate and cut back on the sweets. That was not drastic by any means and you are already seeing positive results. Imagine how effective other people would be with weight loss if all they did was put less on the plate or simply stopped drinking soft drinks.

SnoLeopard
10-20-2015, 08:18 PM
For me HARD work paid off, Exercised several times a week(still do most of the time), didn't change my diet at all (read I refused to stop eating pasta and bread) and just started portion control. I do drink green tea at least twice a day and I start my mornings off with warm water with honey and lemon. This helped me lose 20lbs. I also had a friend who we were accountable to each other and would send "sweat equity" pics to each other if we couldn't work out together!

Harlequin
10-23-2015, 01:37 AM
Weight loss can so easily become an obsession. I have counted calories every day since I was a teenager. I am thin, but it is a constant battle.

Banannie
10-23-2015, 03:53 AM
So far I've been eating healthy unprocessed foods (sans rice, I think?), with one cheat day and I've lost five pounds in a week.

A lot of chicken, fish, fresh veggies, berries and white rice. No sweets, no dairy and I get my carbs from the rice.
Having 4 cups of green tea instead of coffee.

Been walking for an hour first thing in the morning, as well as doing push ups/sit ups whenever I remember to throughout the day.

JaimeLannister
10-24-2015, 03:16 PM
Definitely, definitely make sure you put on some lean body mass. I know women think "I don't want to look like some freak?" But unless you use steroids or have EXTREME genetics then that will not happen. Most often people lose body mass when on a diet, and muscle uses up quite a bit more calories than fat does pound for poud.

As far as diet: don't cut TOO low. And keep proteins high, then healthy fats, then lastly in importance complex (check the glycemic index). The only time simple carbs should be used is prior to an intense weight training sessions (dextrose+whey about 20-30 minutes before working out and more immediately after. For a workout routine:

Pull:
3 warm up sets progressively getting heavier, then 8,5,3 reps for each workout set, either straight leg deadlifts or deadlifts.
1 warm-up set, then 8,5,3 again- bent over rows
pull-ups if you can do them
8,8,5 Curls

Push
3 warm up set, 8,5,3 Overhead Press (unless you wanted to train for powerlifting which it doesn't sound like you do)
1 warm up set, 8,5,3 narrow grip bench
a triceps specifc exercise
neck work (not for looks or weight loss but to protect your neck throughout life against injury)

Legs
3 warm up sets, 8,5,3 squats
a hamstring specific exercise
core work

Now I hear people saying "this is a mans workout!" but building muscle will help with weight loss (anarobic exercise increases metabolism for 48 hours, aerobics for only a few hours). Also, it will protect against osteoporosis later in life.

Also you can add aerobics, such as HIIT (high intensity interval training) or GPP (general physical preparedness.

I would have gone more in depth but my household is hectic right now, let me know if you want more info (I was a powerlifter witha 500lb approx. bench, 600 lb squat, and 650lb deadlift before being injured

Cath
10-26-2015, 06:34 PM
Thanks for your advices everyone! Starting this week, I will try adding exercise to my schedule. It's been almost 3 weeks now and I have lost almost 10 pounds. :D I'm halfway there. I am hoping to achieve my goal by Christmas and try to maintain it during the Holidays (this is going to be hard).

I am eating a lot more healthy now, and had one cheat day last week and it feels good! I haven't eaten any desserts and such for the past 3 weeks and I don't feel like crying, which is a good thing I suppose. Not eating sugary stuff is less hard than I thought. I am glad it's going that way.

I also downloaded some home workout applications on my iPhone and will start using them asap. I like how you guys gave me advices for exercise and will be trying those things out in the next few days! :)